Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

So, here's the thing about cheating.  Unless you're married, there's no legal definition or repercussions.  So, once the facts have been established (as in who did what with whom and when) if other party in relationship declares that you cheated, well then, as far as that person's concerned you cheated and that person acts on that and that is that.  As far as you're concerned, you didn't and that is that.  You're both right as far as your own definition goes.

Well we are getting into legality here and probably waaaay off topic but I know a couple that are throwbacks of sixties hipsters and have been more or less together since they were sixteen even though they have never been married.  They are forty now.  Never got that legal paper.   Also gays were never allowed to legally marry until quite recently .     So do both cases negate any repercussions?    Again we are probably way off topic but I don't think a piece of paper really means anything and stops anyone from cheating if they want to cheat.   Personally I think a relationship is a verbal agreement.  "We are in a thing.  This is the rules for our thing."  The rest is just paperwork.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well we are getting into legality here and probably waaaay off topic but I know a couple that are throwbacks of sixties hipsters and have been more or less together since they were sixteen even though they have never been married.  They are forty now.  Never got that legal paper.   Also gays were never allowed to legally marry until quite recently .     So do both cases negate any repercussions?    Again we are probably way off topic but I don't think a piece of paper really means anything and stops anyone from cheating if they want to cheat.   Personally I think a relationship is a verbal agreement.  "We are in a thing.  This is the rules for our thing."  The rest is just paperwork.

I completely agree and to @Katy M's point, part of that verbal agreement is establishing what is under everyone's umbrella of "things you're not allowed to do with other people."

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I completely agree and to @Katy M's point, part of that verbal agreement is establishing what is under everyone's umbrella of "things you're not allowed to do with other people."

Sure, but my point is that it only matters to the two people in the relationship.  Nobody else can do anything about it.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I can appreciate this. And nowadays, somehow simply texting a member of the opposite sex can meaning cheating to some. Typing!

So true.  It's totally confusing.  I guess this is why every couple has to establish rules on what is and what isn't acceptable.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

every couple has to establish rules on what is and what isn't acceptable.  

Agreed.  That's really the only thing that works, IMO.  But once you've both agreed to those rules, if one person wants the rules to change, they need to let the other person know that.  

I'm an anarchist.  I've been with Mr Rat for twenty years and we're not married on (mostly my) principle.  ( I'd consider a deathbed marriage I suppose if there were some legal benefit for Mr Rat.)   We're not monogamous either in principle, although we became so in practice after the first couple of years.  But because of that I am DEATH on dishonesty in personal relationships.  Like the song says.  To live outside the law, you MUST be honest. If your feelings change, that happens.  It's not wrong or immoral or anything.  But you have to let the other person know.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I'm an anarchist.  I've been with Mr Rat for twenty years and we're not married on (mostly my) principle.  ( I'd consider a deathbed marriage I suppose if there were some legal benefit for Mr Rat.)   

Not to derail the thread, but you (& Mr Rat) might want to think about who you want making medical decisions for you if you become incapacitated in some way.  It's usually the spouse, but if you're not legally married, then I think it's your closest relative. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

So true.  It's totally confusing.  I guess this is why every couple has to establish rules on what is and what isn't acceptable.  

And this was the big problem with the Ross/Rachel “we were on a break” saga. 

Rachel, when she said they should take a break, clearly said it with the intention that both parties (but especially Ross) should take it as a period of reflection so they could sit back and think about how they’d been a bad boyfriend until she decided they were back on again  

Ross on the other hand assumed that they were effectively single people for the duration of the break and acted accordingly. 

The whole debacle would never had happened if they’d agreed on what they wanted from the break beforehand. 

• Love 8

Believe it or not, my unpopular opinion is that, based on what I've seen of it from YouTube, the British Supermarket Sweep w/Dale Winton (a.k.a. Dale's Supermarket Sweep) is far better than what I grew up around w/David Ruprecht here in America. Don't know why I feel that way, but I just do. 

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Ohwell said:

While we're on the topic of Christmas, I hate those smarmy Hallmark Christmas shows with the lame love stories and the D-list actors who can't act.  

My mother lives with me, and she watches these movies on a constant loop.  As she's hard of hearing, I unintentionally "watch" it, too.  There is an exceptional one on right now, with Harry Connick, Jr., Connie Briton, and several actors from Nashville.  I just heard Willy Nelson show up and sing Silent Night as well.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I'm afraid my UO is especially unpopular, and I'm glad we post anonymously:  I don't think Buffy is all that.  There, I said it.

I've never even seen it.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

I cannot STAND Louise on Bob's Burgers. She is not funny she's loud, annoying and a smug little brat. 

Kind of like every child in the world. :-) I admit, she's not my favorite character on the show either, but I hate Teddy even more. For whatever reason, the writers have decided they like featuring him and his psychotic outbursts at Bob and whomever else is nearby.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

I cannot STAND Louise on Bob's Burgers. She is not funny she's loud, annoying and a smug little brat. 

I can't stand Bob's Burgers. I think it's unfunny and obnoxious. I also can't stand Kristen Wiig; I'm sure she's a lovely woman but she seems to play the same character in everything she does.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I can't stand Bob's Burgers. I think it's unfunny and obnoxious. I also can't stand Kristen Wiig; I'm sure she's a lovely woman but she seems to play the same character in everything she does.

Yes to all of this but I think you mean Kristen Schaal. I also don't like that two of the women characters are voiced by men. Oh, and I hate the animation.

Edited by festivus
9 minutes ago, festivus said:

Yes to all of this but I think you mean Kristen Schaal. I also don't like that two of the women characters are voiced by men. Oh, and I hate the animation.

No, I mean Kristen Wiig. It was an unrelated thought and coincidence that Schaal is a voice-actress on Bob's Burgers and the last place I saw Wiig was on Last Man on Earth.

I was watching Charmed on TNT a couple weeks ago and they were airing the the last few episodes before Shannen Doherty was killed off. I liked the show better with her and the first season without her that introduced was good too. It was after that when the show got more into "themed" episodes with costumes and such that I started to loose interest. I liked it when the show had a bit more of a realistic element included. I still need to watch most of the last season to see how things ended. That whole "Billie's sister" mess made me almost quit watching completely and the few episodes I did see after not tuning in weekly that featured it didn't make me want to keep tuning in.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I also don't like that two of the women characters are voiced by men. 

Why? Do you also object when women voice boy characters, like Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson, Nelson Muntz, Ralph Wiggum, Todd Flanders, Kearney and Database from "The Simpsons"?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Why? Do you also object when women voice boy characters, like Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson, Nelson Muntz, Ralph Wiggum, Todd Flanders, Kearney and Database from "The Simpsons"?

Because they don't sound like women characters, they sound like men and it takes me out of the show. Bart Simpson doesn't sound like a woman. I don't watch it so don't know about the rest you listed.

They sound just like men to me. I noticed it when I first watched the show so I looked it up. I don't like Kristen Schaal's voice either and other things about the show so I gave it a hard pass. This is the UO thread. Moving on.....

• Love 1
22 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I'm afraid my UO is especially unpopular, and I'm glad we post anonymously:  I don't think Buffy is all that.  There, I said it.

I liked the movie and disliked the TV show.

• Love 6

I figured the voice casting of men as female characters on Bob's Burgers was a joke, like, "y'know how women have voiced male characters in the past? Well, men are voicing girls now, and doing a lousy job of it! LOL!"

Yeah, trouble is, if my stupid theory is correct (I kind of hope it isn't), then that's a really, really labored joke that doesn't pay off, not everyone will get it, and they're now stuck with it. 

23 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Same...ish. I love the show so I guess I can stand her, technically. But that's all I'm doing. Not funny. 

Also, I love Linda!

UO: I think Kate McKinnon is extremely overrated. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

OK, as long as we're doing characters portrayed by those of opposite genders, I've always thought it downright unnerving that every live action Peter Pan has ALWAYS been played by a woman and never a boy or man. I understand that the deal with the harness used to pull the performer could have been disastrous had the performer been a male but I think they could   convincingly CGI a person flying  nowadays. What's a bit jarring is that it's this way largely because this is what the author James Barrie mandated way back when! 

Edited by Blergh
being too much a blockhead
  • Love 5

I don't mind opposite genders doing voices in animation. I usually have no idea who's doing the voice. But with Bob's Burgers it was glaringly obvious to me that it was men doing two of the women characters and it just took me right out of the show. I feel I need to clarify because I think I'm getting comments for things I did not say.  My UO is that I don't like the show. I don't think it's funny. I don't like the voice acting. I don't like Kristen Schaal. I don't like her voice and I think she plays the same character in everything I've seen her in and it's a character I don't like. 

18 hours ago, Jaded said:

I was watching Charmed on TNT a couple weeks ago and they were airing the the last few episodes before Shannen Doherty was killed off. I liked the show better with her and the first season without her that introduced was good too. It was after that when the show got more into "themed" episodes with costumes and such that I started to loose interest. I liked it when the show had a bit more of a realistic element included. I still need to watch most of the last season to see how things ended. That whole "Billie's sister" mess made me almost quit watching completely and the few episodes I did see after not tuning in weekly that featured it didn't make me want to keep tuning in.

The first 4 seasons were my favorite as well. I lost interest somewhere around season 5 and because there was too much damn Cole.  I hated his character and felt that he was the worst thing to happen Phoebe. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I figured the voice casting of men as female characters on Bob's Burgers was a joke, like, "y'know how women have voiced male characters in the past? Well, men are voicing girls now, and doing a lousy job of it! LOL!"

Yeah, trouble is, if my stupid theory is correct (I kind of hope it isn't), then that's a really, really labored joke that doesn't pay off, not everyone will get it, and they're now stuck with it. 

In the original pilot, Tina was a son instead of a daughter.  When they decided to make her a girl, they didn't recast the part.  Linda was based on videos of the actor who plays her playing his own mother.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2017 at 7:39 PM, Jaded said:

6 hours ago, allyw said:

The first 4 seasons were my favorite as well. I lost interest somewhere around season 5 and because there was too much damn Cole.  I hated his character and felt that he was the worst thing to happen Phoebe. 

We're actually rewatching Charmed now, just finished the old west episode which was just stupid, but I'm really noticing how many episodes are. I also liked the earlier seasons, & I like Shannon Doherty better than Rose McGowan. The big problem with Cole was he was evil, then he was good, then he was evil, then he was good, then he was evil, then he was good, they needed to pick a side & stick with it. All the back & forth got really boring. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I never liked Leo. I didn't think he was sexy at all, I thought he was ordinary looking & bland & I hated all the whitelighter/elders crap, especially magic school.

• Love 5

Cole was a generic bad boy with a horribly written "redemption" storyline, IMO. The only good thing about him was that for once the writers decided to write out the bad boy instead of "redeeming" him fully.

OK, as long as we're doing characters portrayed by those of opposite genders, I've always thought it downright unnerving that every live action Peter Pan has ALWAYS been played by a woman and never a boy or man.

I have watched only one Peter Pan movie, the 2003 version, and in it Peter was played by a male actor.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

I have watched only one Peter Pan movie, the 2003 version, and in it Peter was played by a male actor.

D'oh! I forgot about the Robin Williams one! I don't know how I could have forgotten that one. D'OH again to me!  I guess I should have said almost always played by women.

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

D'oh! I forgot about the Robin Williams one! I don't know how I could have forgotten that one. D'OH again to me!  I guess I should have said almost always played by women.

I think Jack meant the movie with Jason Isaacs as Captain Hook/Mr. Darling.*  In that one, Peter was played by a young actor.  But the live action versions I've seen on tv have featured an actress as Peter.

(* Is it wrong that I totally had the hots for Captain Hook after that version?)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
On 12/6/2017 at 1:10 PM, Blergh said:

OK, as long as we're doing characters portrayed by those of opposite genders, I've always thought it downright unnerving that every live action Peter Pan has ALWAYS been played by a woman and never a boy or man. I understand that the deal with the harness used to pull the performer could have been disastrous had the performer been a male but I think they could   convincingly CGI a person flying  nowadays. What's a bit jarring is that it's this way largely because this is what the author James Barrie mandated way back when! 

No, it's because Peter Pan is the one example of British Pantomime that is ever performed in the United States.  It's complicated but it developed out of the older theatrical tradition in which all the parts male and female were played by men and boys.  The juvenile male lead is always played by a woman, whose romantic lead is also female.  The older supporting male lead and the villain are always the same actor, as in this case  Mr Darling/Captain Hook.  The older woman is always played by the lead male physical comedian - in Peter Pan, this role is Nina, the nanny dog, which means we in the American audience often don't notice this, especially those who first encounter this story in the Disney cartoon.  (The other common example of this particular trope is in many modern productions of The Importance of Being Earnest, in which Lady Bracknell is played by a flamboyantly gay male performer.) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime

Believe me I was really shocked when I first discovered this some years ago.  As I said, it's weird to us because other than Peter Pan we don't have panto in the US.  In the UK it's a longstanding Christmas tradition.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
spelling
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, GaT said:

We're actually rewatching Charmed now, just finished the old west episode which was just stupid, but I'm really noticing how many episodes are. I also liked the earlier seasons, & I like Shannon Doherty better than Rose McGowan. The big problem with Cole was he was evil, then he was good, then he was evil, then he was good, then he was evil, then he was good, they needed to pick a side & stick with it. All the back & forth got really boring. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I never liked Leo. I didn't think he was sexy at all, I thought he was ordinary looking & bland & I hated all the whitelighter/elders crap, especially magic school.

I forgot how much I disliked him him as well and an even more unpopular opinion is that I actually liked Dan.

22 minutes ago, allyw said:

I forgot how much I disliked him him as well and an even more unpopular opinion is that I actually liked Dan.

Dan. That is an extremely unusual opinion. Mark played by John Cho was probably my most favorite of Piper's love interests. One frickin episode and he was perfect.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, allyw said:

Nope, I didn't like him either LOL, & I didn't like Jack. The boyfriends on this show were not good at all, but if it came down to me picking just one guy I didn't like, it would be CHRIS. The only episode he was in that I liked was the one with his future girlfriend, When Holly got pregnant IRL & they did that plot change to make Chris her son, they really ruined the show IMO. They should have just stuck with their original Chris plot (whatever that was) & shot around the pregnancy, so many stupid plots we could have avoided then. 

• Love 1

As I just finished the DCverse Crisis on Earth X crossover I just wanted to say that I hate Felicity so very much. She's most of the reason that I stopped watching the show (killing of Laurel, and Thea not being around was the other reason). And I hate that she and Oliver got married at that moment.

I don't like Lena on Supergirl either

Edited by Hybridcookie
  • Love 3

That's unpopular on this site, but not unpopular in certain places on the interwebs (e.g. Reddit).

My unpopular opinion re. Felicity and Olicity: she's okay. They're okay. She neither makes nor breaks the show for me. She's just an element, part of the enjoyment of the show, same as the other characters. I like some of the things she does, and dislike others. None of them have been so vital that they elevated or devaluated my impression of her, Olicity, or the show in general.

I came to the show late (started watching at Season 5), and it's kind of fascinating to see how polarizing she is. Her really militant supporters/detractors turn me off completely. There's so much misogyny in it. The really militant supporters take potshots at Iris and Laurel, and as a shipper in general it makes me very reluctant to get involved with that conversation. (Especially when *their* militant supporters take potshots back.) But at least here I can stand to read a majority of the posts on the Arrow board; I won't even go near the main Arrow sub on Reddit. They take misogyny to an art form.

The part I hate worst is how opinions of her and Olicity eat up any other discussion to be had. I had to skip over 50% of the posts in just about any online discussion of Crisis on Earth X. The ending was fine, but there were *so many other things* to discuss for that crossover: that death, that first gay superhero kiss in live-action medium, that hookup, the great characterization, the general level of difficulty in pulling off something of that caliber on television, how Mick is the most awesome character on television*....the last 5 minutes were just part of it! It wasn't *that* important!!

*My own biases might be showing there.

• Love 6