Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I still prefer Picard to Kirk! 

My Batman: The Animated Series UO:

I find it kind of disturbing that people view the Joker and Harley Quinn's relationship as a "love story". Um, really? A deeply twisted, sociopathic clown who regularly abuses his gun moll, who in turn started out as a grossly incompetent psychiatrist who fell for his mind games and has been gleefully complicit in his violent crimes? Sorry, everyone, but I think Batman had it right when he chewed out Harley in "Mad Love":

"You little fool! The Joker doesn't love anything but himself! Wake up, Harlene! He had you pegged as hired help the minute you walked into Arkham!"

Come again?! I consider myself a very DIEHARD fan of this series, but I have never, ever, ever thought of the twisted relationship of theirs as any kind of love story.  "Mad Love" was great. Too bad all it took was a note from that psychopath about getting well, to have her revert back. 

Not really, because the "we want to throttle each other half the time" dynamic between Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis had been there since the beginning.  What sunk the show after consummation were some off-screen issues (their spats, filming for Die Hard going long so that by the time he was available again she'd run into complications with the pregnancy and wasn't available as much, Glenn Gordon Caron getting worse at his ongoing inability to deliver a script on time, an eventual writer's strike, etc.) but ultimately that post-boinking Maddie and David were written as if they were two different people than we'd watched for three years.  (And, worse yet, David as the long-suffering victim to Maddie's unreasonable shrew.)  The scripts were stupid.  The characters were unrecognizable, and not enjoyable.  There were endless reruns.  They screwed that show up on multiple levels, some of which reared their ugly heads before the characters had it off, yet somehow it got whittled down to "putting your 'will they or won't they?' characters together ruins the show" as the takeaway.

Sorry I wasn't clear. But that's what I mean-their off-screen spats, along with everything else you stated, that contributed to this stupid "curse" thing.  I just know that I had read and heard about Cybil and Bruce not getting along, which might have translated onscreen.  And I fully admit, I was a sporadic watcher of this show, but I can also say, that near the end, I didn't recognize Maddie or David anymore. I think I stopped watching after Maddie lost the baby, so I don't even know how the show ended.

• Love 1

I don't understand a fandom getting upset because their head canon couple isn't actually canon. Not directing this at anyone/any fandom, but I just don't get it. More than half the writing for canon established couples across all media (games, movies, books) suck anyway. Can someone try to explain this?

In my unpopular(?) opinion, I think its because people tend to conflate RL issues with shipping, and again IMO that's a mistake.

Take Rizzoli & Isles and/or Supernatural. I know people who will swear on a stack of the religious tome of your choice that Dean and Castiel are soulmates, and while that's fine, I think they get carried away with the insistence that if it doesn't happen on screen then it "doesn't count". Yes, having your favorite couple become canon is awesome, but speaking for myself I actually prefer my non-canon pairings.

• Love 4

Not to mention that there's been scores of shows where the leads got together and the show didn't implode. It's just one of those things that people run with. 

It reminds me when Married With Children did their reunion special and they were ripping on how Ted McGinley was a show killer. "I was on the show for 7 years!"

• Love 2

I don't dislike Justin from The Amazing Race.

To each their own. IMO, he was a bit annoying and I wasn't sorry he didn't win. However; I don't think he was as bad as some of the racers they've had. Why they let Rob and Amber continue their race instead of instantly disqualifying them after they BRAGGED about sabotaging their colleagues' transport is something I've never forgiven TPTB for and it only after they were OFF that I was willing to watch it again.

To each their own. IMO, he was a bit annoying and I wasn't sorry he didn't win. However; I don't think he was as bad as some of the racers they've had. Why they let Rob and Amber continue their race instead of instantly disqualifying them after they BRAGGED about sabotaging their colleagues' transport is something I've never forgiven TPTB for and it only after they were OFF that I was willing to watch it again.

Oh, hell, if we want to go there, what about the Twinsies stealing another team's money and getting away with it?  Not to mention then being invited to Survivor afterwards.

• Love 3

I don't really know what crosses the line on rules for the Amazing Races.  I've always gotten the feeling that the racers are more ethical than the producers would like.  The one thing I remember from the Rob/Amber season is when they talked other racers behind them into also taking the time penalty on an eating challenge Rob/Amber didn't think they could get through.  At the pit stop, Phil seemed thrilled that someone had managed to play Amzing Race like it was Survivor.

• Love 2

I don't dislike Justin from The Amazing Race.

I didn't either. Yes, seemed like a bit much at times, sort of like a hyper kid, but whatever--he's excited to be there because, to put it simply, it's exciting to be there! The upside to his "bit-muchness" is that he obviously appreciated how lucky he was to have been chosen to compete. He had a few douchey moments but so do they all at some point and I think he made up for it by being good at the race. Further, I don't think the other teams hated him because he acted douchey sometimes; I think it was because he was better than they were at the game.

My UO is that I don't find Joe from Survivor unusually attractive (in fact, I actually thought Fishbach was better looking). Joe's just OK. And he looks better with his man-bun than without.

My other UO is that I don't mind a man-bun. Sometimes dudes just want their long hair out of the way, same as I do.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I have to say that every time I watch I find myself liking the widely hated Kate more and more. I'll take it an unpopular step further and say that I actually enjoy impulsive, runaway-prone, and stubborn but kind, passionate, sympathetic, spirited Kate a lot more than I do the very popular Juliet, who I enjoy in the first part of S3 but not really beyond that. She was just kind of smug and condescending and smirky for most of her time on the show, and I just didn't find her as compelling as we were supposed to. Needless to say, I also hold the UO of being indifferent to Sawyer/Juliet as a couple. Also, I love the actress who played Kate and think she did a surprisingly good job with an often somewhat thankless role.

I hated Kate on my 1st watching, didn't mind her on my 2nd, and loved her on my 3rd. I typically can't take the impulsive, runaway type characters & I credit EL's acting for making me like her. As far as Juliet goes, I felt bad when she died, but other than that I wanted nothing more than to slap her silly.
  • Love 1

To each their own. IMO, he was a bit annoying and I wasn't sorry he didn't win. However; I don't think he was as bad as some of the racers they've had. Why they let Rob and Amber continue their race instead of instantly disqualifying them after they BRAGGED about sabotaging their colleagues' transport is something I've never forgiven TPTB for and it only after they were OFF that I was willing to watch it again.

The saddest part was Rob and Amber still didn't grate as much as the third place couple whose names I've forgottwn, but I distinctly remember were always fighting and picking on one another.

On another message board at the time, there was a poll for the finally that asked who we wanted to win. In 500 votes, that third place couple didn't even get one single vote.

Oh, hell, if we want to go there, what about the Twinsies stealing another team's money and getting away with it?  Not to mention then being invited to Survivor afterwards.

Not to mention that one of the teams who went along with Rob and Amber's plan to block the other teams, won the season - yes, the sainted Uchenna and Joyce that many treated as a deity who stopped the evil that was Rob and Amber. 

• Love 1

This one seems so unpopular that I'm a little wary of voicing it, but at least I'm in the right thread! I disagree with the prevailing notion that The Mindy Project's Danny Castellano was assassinated and written as unfairly out of character this season because I hold the very UO of thinking he was ALWAYS a jerk. Like from the very first episode of the series. And, honestly, "jerk" is putting it pretty mildly, even when you take typical sitcom-ish exaggeration into account. I'm a big fan of flawed characters, especially on a sitcom, but Danny's flaws always way outweighed his strengths for me: he's a dangerous combination of narcissistic arrogance and angry, controlling insecurity, condescending, judgmental, rude, vaguely sexist (and other possible "ist"s), aggressive, hypercompetitive and with an alarming tendency towards downright viciousness. I'll totally grant that those flaws were probably emphasized a little more this past season than in previous ones, but everything shown to be wrong with him as a significant other and all around human being was, IMUO, in evidence all along.

I also have the UO of genuinely liking that the show seems to be going after my personal least favorite and all too common TV romance trope: that initially attracted 'opposites' who fight constantly, belittle each other and can't find any commonality or natural connection are "soulmates."  The obvious and unpopular conclusion here is that I hope Mindy (who's a highly flawed, often irksome character to the point where I often struggle to like and relate to her yet is still deserving of someone far better than the verbally abusive ass she's with), leaves Danny forever and finds someone with whom she's a little more compatible. Also, I've never quite gotten the extreme love for the actor who plays Danny. He's fine and competent enough IMO, but not the extraordinary talent he's often depicted as. 

• Love 4

Somewhat related, I have always been rather meh on Mindy/Danny and neutral on the Mindy show in general.  But I have been really enjoying the Hulu season of it.  I like the somewhat darker place they've taken the M/D relationship. I agree the clues have always been there that Danny isn't ideal hero material.  It almost feels like the show was showing Danny as seen through Mindy's eyes and she was willing to overlook a lot of Danny's flaws because he was her ideal.  But now she's seeing him a little more clearly and consequently so are we.  Stuff she can no longer ignore.  I am really applauding the show for being somewhat blatant in cracking open the flaws a little wider in a popular and well liked character. 

• Love 4

My UO is I don't get why people spend time researching and Googling people on reality TV.  I think it's a given that most reality TV isn't real, so I just don't see wasting all that time researching something that doesn't exist.

I haven't seen any of this year's Mindy Project but is it really an unknown thing that Danny is a jerk? Seriously? He's always been that way. It's part of his charm. She flaky, self centered, and shallow; he's kind of dickish. It's why they work.

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 3

Callie lee, you should check out discussions about how unfairly and egregiously ruined his character is and how he's unrecognizable now...I was in a very tiny minority for thinking this past season just highlighted the strong jerk-ness (I'm too lazy to think of a correct noun!) that has existed from the beginning :) 

I actually stopped watching the Mindy project because I couldn't stand him anymore. I think what did the trick was when he made Mindy being pregnant all about his own issues. Hearing that the show is actually addressing this makes me think I might have stopped watching too soon?

• Love 1

My NCIS Los Angeles UO is that I have never been a fan of the possibility of and now actual Kensi/Deeks relationship. I like both characters, but hate them in a romantic relationship. I can see the team turning a blind eye to their relationship, but I have a hard time buying Hetty and Granger just dismissing it, but they have. I have finally caught up with this seasons episodes and am thinking, really no characters have a problem with it? Some of my hate might have to do with watching too many shows where a male/female team always seem to have romantic feelings for each other.

• Love 2

My NCIS Los Angeles UO is that I have never been a fan of the possibility of and now actual Kensi/Deeks relationship. I like both characters, but hate them in a romantic relationship. I can see the team turning a blind eye to their relationship, but I have a hard time buying Hetty and Granger just dismissing it, but they have. I have finally caught up with this seasons episodes and am thinking, really no characters have a problem with it? Some of my hate might have to do with watching too many shows where a male/female team always seem to have romantic feelings for each other.

Back when Tony DiNozzo was dating that young woman from the Rota bureau whose uncle was SecNav he and Gibbs had a conversation about there being no rule against NCIS agents dating each other. Although strictly speaking Deeks isn't actually an NCIS agent, so that probably wouldn't be a problem either...

I get the feeling (although this could be purest fanwank) that Hetty feels that they would be invested either way, in much the same way that G and Sam are.

There's a lot to like about Brooklyn Nine Nine, but my UO is that I really don't think it's funny. I wish I did, but I just don't. 

I somewhat enjoyed it during S1 but S2 has made me realize a few things. 

1. I hate Jake, who is the main character and that is a problem

2. Rosa's murderous psycho, deadpan shtick is played out

3. Amy Santiago is annoying as hell. How she doesn't get stuffed into a locker everyday is beyond me.

4. Despise Amy and Jake together.

So basically, I love all the periphery secondary characters like the Captain, Terry, Gina, and even Hitchcock and Scully but don't care for the main 3. 

• Love 2

Back when Tony DiNozzo was dating that young woman from the Rota bureau whose uncle was SecNav he and Gibbs had a conversation about there being no rule against NCIS agents dating each other. Although strictly speaking Deeks isn't actually an NCIS agent, so that probably wouldn't be a problem either...

I get the feeling (although this could be purest fanwank) that Hetty feels that they would be invested either way, in much the same way that G and Sam are.

Agents dating each other isn't the problem.  The problem (to me anyway) is when those agents are on the same team and working together as partners in the field.  I can't think of any organization (in the real world) that would allow that to happen and I think less of Hetty for appearing to approve of the situation. 

• Love 1

This always appears to be an extremely UO in the fandom, but I feel like I'm the only Criminal Minds fan who truly couldn't care less about Spencer Reid. I don't dislike him, but I don't see what's so amazing about him that causes such an uproar when he doesn't appear to be getting enough screen time.

• Love 5

This always appears to be an extremely UO in the fandom, but I feel like I'm the only Criminal Minds fan who truly couldn't care less about Spencer Reid. I don't dislike him, but I don't see what's so amazing about him that causes such an uproar when he doesn't appear to be getting enough screen time.

*springboards because I can't stop myself*

I don't think its that he doesn't get enough screen time, or at least not just that. Its that they've turned him from a character who was respected and valued into an assclown who exists for the other characters to shush, roll their eyes about, or stare at as if he just grew a second head out of his armpit. Not to mention the part where they had him watch while his would-be girlfriend got her brains blown out and haven't bothered to show him even trying to move on with a new relationship.*

*Yes, Criminal Minds is "not a soap opera", and the dismissiveness of that observation is something I can do without. CM has always had a scattershot history with personal stories, but all it really takes in a line or two to indicate that any of the characters have lives outside of the office. Law & Order managed it without turning into The Young and the Restless, and with better writers, not to mention another showrunner IMO CM could manage it as well.

I'm probably all alone on this island, but I really like Chrissy Teigan. I like her on Lip Sync Battle. I like her when she shows up with John (and  would like her without John but I think they have always shown up together) on Hollywood Game Night. I even liked her on tonight's Top Chef. I can't help it. She makes me laugh. 

This one seems so unpopular that I'm a little wary of voicing it, but at least I'm in the right thread! I disagree with the prevailing notion that The Mindy Project's Danny Castellano was assassinated and written as unfairly out of character this season because I hold the very UO of thinking he was ALWAYS a jerk. Like from the very first episode of the series. And, honestly, "jerk" is putting it pretty mildly, even when you take typical sitcom-ish exaggeration into account.

I was only iffy on him to begin with, but he completely lost me and their relationship when he was supposed to be making that big, grand gesture by meeting her on the Empire State Building, and he gave up after an hour and went and got pizza. He offered to make the grand gesture. It was his fool idea and he could barely even spend an hour on it? That's when I realized Mindy was always going to be shown as 'lucky to have him.' 

• Love 2

My Top Chef UO is that I like all the regular judges Gail, Padma, Tom, Richard Blais, and whoever else the appears fairly frequently as a judge. I see most of the dislike directed at Padma and Richard, but I like them both. I think Padma does her job well. I have always liked Richard since his season. 

• Love 2

I'm probably all alone on this island, but I really like Chrissy Teigan. I like her on Lip Sync Battle.

Nope.  I like her, too--she seems fun and down to earth.  I loved the episode with John on it and she was so surprised at the songs he chose and the dance moves "Who are you?  Where'd my husband go?" (paraphrased). 

• Love 2

I don't mind Chrissy Teigen on Lip Sync battle, but her role on that show is pretty much good-natured go go dancer who flirts with the guests. Which seems as if it's what they asked her on Top Chef to do, what with wtf scripted banter about her being sticky like a date. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

My UO is I don't get why people spend time researching and Googling people on reality TV. I think it's a given that most reality TV isn't real, so I just don't see wasting all that time researching something that doesn't exist.

I'm always surprised at people, especially on message boards, who believe reality TV is still "reality." But I think I'm more annoyed by those who acknowledge how manipulative reality TV is, and then still go on to justify why their favored person is the best.person.evah.

Also, I don't watch a ton of reality TV, but I have zero interest in said participants outside of the show. I can like or dislike someone, and completely forget about them after the season has aired. Actually, that applies to scripted shows as well. I can enjoy an actor on a show, and that's good enough for me.

I've always liked Jennifer Lopez.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

It's just TV.

I don't keep tabs on the number of commercials in any given show.

I don't get upset if I get "spoiled" about something that happens in an upcoming episode. That might be a generational thing: I had a heated discussion with a younger cousin who put a plea out on Facebook for friends not to write about what happened on some show because she hadn't had a chance to see it yet. She didn't like that I told her it wasn't others' responsibility.

I don't think Ricky Gervais is funny at all. In fact, I find him excruciatingly unfunny. His commercials for the Golden Globes were painful and sent me scrambling for the mute button.

If a show becomes painful to watch or unfunny or stupid or any of a number of things, I just stop watching. I don't lament what happened to it.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

I don't think Rick Gervais is remotely funny.  Although I think some Americans are so in love with a British accent that I think that's part of his appeal.  

Jennifer Lopez's legs aren't as great as she thinks they are.

• Love 1

I don't think Ricky Gervais is funny at all. In fact, I find him excruciatingly unfunny. His commercials for the Golden Globes were painful and sent me scrambling for the mute button.

I was almost going to put the GGs on just now, then I remembered he was hosting.  Looks like reruns tonight...

• Love 2

I don't think Rick Gervais is actually funny. I don't think being funny means you have to be funny. Louis CK is kind of the same way. But I don't know why you'd want that type of person hosting a major awards show on a broadcast network. 

Ricky Gervais has never been funny. Fifteen years ago when he was getting his break on television on The Eleven O'Clock Show, he was doing the exact same schtick he does now, and it was tired even then. Fair enough, he had The Office in the UK, which was a big hit, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you guys let him get big in America too. All the hilariously funny comedians we have in the UK, and that guy is the one you take to?

This absolutely applies to that spectacularly unfunny waste of space that goes by the name James Corden as well.

• Love 2

Seeing Brie Larson get so much praise for 'The Room' reminds me that the reason I  stuck with 'United States of Tara' all the way through was because of her and Keir Gilcrist making the kids interesting on that show. I know Toni Collette got more of the buzz, but I frequently found myself wishing they'd make Tara a supporting character to the Kate & Marshall show.

• Love 1

Since it seems to be an unpopular opinion, I'll say I love Ricky Gervais as a comedian. I didn't watch The Office or whatever other TV shows he may have had, but I love his stand up and he's one of my favorite talk show guests of all time. I've watched his episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee at least 10 times and the only reason I sat through the Golden Globes was because he was hosting.

• Love 5

I've always liked Jennifer Lopez.

Me too.  Not that I think she's a great singer or actress, although she's done songs and roles which I've liked.  But I think she's a cool person.  And smoking hot, especially at her age.  (Which, for clarification, is still younger than my own.)

• Love 3
I like Karen Page from Daredevil.

Karen did have a mixed-to-negative reception on the thread (I'm not a fan at all), but I still prefer her over Foggy.  Words cannot express how much he annoys me, and is the reason I likely won't be watching season 2 (or if I do, it'll be some time in the distant future). 

Regarding Daredevil vs Jessica Jones - my interest in both waned significantly towards the end of their respective seasons.  Daredevil was the well-written of the two, but Jessica Jones had better characters and relationships.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1

I like Foggy, maybe that's a opinion of one. He never annoyed me and it is nice to get some comic scenes sometimes.

People didn't like Foggy? I thought he was one of those characters everyone loved. At least everyone I know who watched the show.

• Love 3

I quit watching Daredevil around the eight episode. I suppose you can say Foggy and Karen was one of the reasons. Neither grew on me especially. Neither funny nor that interesting. The villain of the piece never grabbed me either, and the Daredevil himself wasn't great enough to get me over "the hump" that was those other characters. I've never really been drawn to live action comics (I didn't grow up reading any of them), so that could be the reason, but the dark quilts of it drew me in, but alas. I did really like and finished Jessica Jones, though.

Here's an UO: I don't care for David Tennant at all.

Here's an UO: I don't care for David Tennant at all.

He's hit or miss for me, good in some things and not good in others.  I definitely don't think he's the be-all and end-all that his most fanatic fans claim he is.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I am not sure if this is an UO or just one on PTV but I don't think The Blacklist would work at all without Elizabeth Keen. The actress may not have the best emotional range but she has improved over the course of the show and I just don't think the show would work without her in it.

• Love 2