Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

In the spirit of Halloween, it has come up before but zombies don't scare me, they gross me out. Ghost stories are somewhat scary for me but more entertaining.

However, aliens scare the crap out of me. I feel like a lot of people think they are stupid idea in sci if shows and movies lately, but seriously, nothing paranormal scares me more.

• Love 1

I reserve the right to change my mind on this one based on what the new season turns out to be like, but:

I don't mind what seems to be Adalind's redemption arc on Grimm.  The writers had her go through so much with her first baby that I'm willing to accept the fact that she's softened a bit and really is sorry for everything she put into motion.  However, what I hope doesn't happen is a 180 about face--I can't believe that she would change that much and I certainly don't want her in any way romantically tied to Nick.  I am, however, willing to accept that they can be civil with each other since they are having a child together and, while I'm not thrilled that the writers went there, I'm a bit fascinated in seeing what kind of child a hexenbeist and a grimm will produce.  So, writers, it's up to you.  Let's see if you can fix the mess that you made of last season. 

eta:  I think part of the reason I don't mind Adalind (and never have) and what's become of her is that I like the way the actress plays her.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4

I don't find the Heretics on The Vampire Diaries particularly interesting, but they are easily hateable. I find them much more suitable villains than those Originals (thank goodness they have their own show, so I don't have to watch them anymore). I find Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Ric, Caroline and Matt and Tyler working together to fight off those Heretics a lot of fun and rootable. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 1

I have what has to be the most unpopular opinion in history -- I LIKED Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football.   He brought the fan perspective to the game and made intelligent jokes not just bathroom humor that barely made it past the censors.

• Love 5

I think that most shows that are considered "past their prime" are still pretty good. Now naturally, I don't watch all shows, but the ones I can think of: The Simpsons, Modern Family, Criminal Minds are all still pretty good to me.

Also, and not really related, I can't stand Sue Heck on The Middle. And I like Frankie (and Patricia Heaton).

• Love 1

I'm over the gnashing of teeth about how this version of Doctor Who is just rehashing old shows, and they did that before, or whatever. The show literally has a half century of history. Hard to do something completely fresh and new. Granted, the modern show has a formula, in terms of the companions, but it's not nearly as awful. 

• Love 1

I think that most shows that are considered "past their prime" are still pretty good. Now naturally, I don't watch all shows, but the ones I can think of: The Simpsons, Modern Family, Criminal Minds are all still pretty good to me.

I think "past their prime" affects serialized shows in a different way than comedies and procedurals. Someone can say it about a comedy or a procedural when s/he is bored of them or thinks they are starting to feel repetitive/recycled. Besides, when episodes have the same event-of-the-week structure, it's likely that some are better than others during the entire run. In serialized shows "past their prime", the story line drags on or becomes increasingly improbable or convoluted to keep going; once the story deteriorates, and possibly also the characters, there it is: the idea that the show should wrap up already. It's not that easy for a serialized show to come up with 22 episodes worth of story just because it was renewed for another season(s). Lost is one of the popular examples. My UO is that I also thought this about Fringe and Haven and only started their last season because it was the last. (And I still quit Haven last week because I just can't with it anymore, not even for just 10 more episodes.)

In serialized shows "past their prime", the story line drags on or becomes increasingly improbable or convoluted to keep going; once the story deteriorates, and possibly also the characters, there it is: the idea that the show should wrap up already.

Lost is one of the popular examples. My UO is that I also thought this about Fringe and Haven.

I love this quote from the Haven thread:

First three season were great. This was… the skin that develops on pudding that has been sitting for too long. Not horrible for you, but just icky and undesirable.

I wish I could quit Haven, but after investing so much time (almost 70 episodes) I want to see what happens.

• Love 3

I love this quote from the Haven thread:

I wish I could quit Haven, but after investing so much time (almost 70 episodes) I want to see what happens.

I can't even remember what my breaking point was with Haven. I think it was when I realised they were devoting all their energies to coming up with delaying tactics for Nathan/Audrey. That stuff never interests me, whether I like the couple in question or not. They had the guy from Eureka on the show for some reason, and I realised I didn't care about any of the mysteries any more.

It is funny that the majority of shows with 'cult' followings are those that were cut off before they could really drag things out too much. There's an element of familiarity breeding contempt, but I've long been an avid proponent of showrunners and writers only having a finite amount of ideas and creativity, and once it's gone, the show should end. Repetition of ideas, twisting of characters to fit ever sillier plots, introductions of various obstacle plots, gimmick episodes. It all points to creative bankruptcy, in my opinion. Any show that goes over about four seasons will be guilty as hell.

• Love 5

I can't even remember what my breaking point was with Haven. I think it was when I realised they were devoting all their energies to coming up with delaying tactics for Nathan/Audrey. That stuff never interests me, whether I like the couple in question or not.

Ditto. And my actual breaking point, the moment where I turned off the episode halfway through, was when I realized that, after all that endless drama, all the apparent character development and struggle and triumph, Nathan-and-Audrey-2.0 is even worse than the first round. Nathan is still insufferable, but now Audrey acts exactly the same as he does. I can pinpoint the exact scene where I quit the show: when Audrey wanted to ditch everyone to tag along with Nathan and watch over him. The best part here is that I would watch a show with leads that give zero fucks about anything but each other and take the worst decisions accordingly, but this is not what Haven was. I actually thought about why I can't just roll with this change, and decided that I don't care about the characters enough to be interested if love is the main story arc. This is generally true for me though, and the reason why I also found Fringe so hard to finish. One of the few things less interesting to me than these love stories is parental love. Fringe did both. It was a nightmare. I don't even remember how the show ended, it was too hard to keep paying attention.

Repetition of ideas, twisting of characters to fit ever sillier plots, introductions of various obstacle plots, gimmick episodes. It all points to creative bankruptcy, in my opinion. Any show that goes over about four seasons will be guilty as hell.

I first wanted to say that there are shows that can go for more, but then I couldn't think of any. Person of Interest is entering season 5 and it's still really strong, but it is not actually an exception because it started out as a procedural and introduced relevant plot pieces very slowly at first; the actual story wouldn't have covered much more than 3 seasons. BtVS - it's an UO, but I liked season 6. Breaking Bad? The Sopranos?

Edited by Crim

I know "The Honeymooners" is considered a classic, but I really don't care for it. While there are episodes I find funny, more often than not, I find it sad. Poor Ralph wanted so much to be more than what he was, but he was trapped with an often-shrewish wife and a moron for a best friend. His dreams and plans always fell flat. Also, all the jokes about how fat Ralph was bothered me a lot. Jackie Gleason really wasn't that fat at all. 

• Love 3

"Battle of the Network Stars" was one of the best shows on the air. It was reality TV with real celebrities. Whose physical challenges weren't produced or faked.

I'd love to see a version of it today, although it would be tough to pull off logistically: Showtime vs. HBO, Netflix vs. Amazon Instant Video, the big 3 networks would now be the big 4 networks, etc.

• Love 12

I loved Battle of the Network Stars also. I still remember the epic match race between Robert Conrad and Gabe Kaplan. I'd enjoy seeing some reruns.  It wouldn't be the same today without Howard Cosell's inimitable commentary

• Love 8

I loved Battle of the Network Stars and would love to see it again.  Or a celebrity version of The Amazing Race (and I mean actual celebrities--not reality show people) and have the proceeds go to charity.  I know it's a bit long, especially for working actors, but maybe they could shorten it a bit. 

• Love 2

"Battle of the Network Stars" was one of the best shows on the air. It was reality TV with real celebrities. Whose physical challenges weren't produced or faked.

OMG, I will always remember Jaclyn Smith killing it on a track relay.  She was in was in third and she rounded the track and passed everybody.   It was fab!

• Love 5

I loved Battle of the Network Stars and would love to see it again. Or a celebrity version of The Amazing Race (and I mean actual celebrities--not reality show people) and have the proceeds go to charity. I know it's a bit long, especially for working actors, but maybe they could shorten it a bit.

I always thought a network should do parody in the style of a scripted, fake, reality show. You could attract A-list names as the commitment wouldn't be for very long once their character was "voted off" and the writers could manufacture all the crazy stuff they want. It would be way less irritating to see talented people acting as fools than real people actually being fools. Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

Or how Mark Harmon seemed to win in EVERYTHING! I loved it.

Well, yeah. Everyone who was the starting quarterback for UCLA raise your hand. Maybe if they let the color guys from Monday Night Football play.

Edited by Julia

I'd love to see a version of it today, although it would be tough to pull off logistically: Showtime vs. HBO, Netflix vs. Amazon Instant Video, the big 3 networks would now be the big 4 networks, etc.

If you look on YouTube, there are a LOT of episodes and clips available.

The dunk tank clips are particularly popular, obviously. ;) (Side note: Robert Urich was SO HOT! RIP.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg-2D4UPkug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hk-f73JSJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSt4wzTUVdw

Topic?

I like some of the color episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, especially the ones about Goober and Flora.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

And NCIS is one of the most popular and watched shows on television today.  Hardly anyone complains about Gibbs being too perfect as a matter of fact most people think Gibbs is the awesomist awesome who ever did awesome.    Which happens to be the way a vast number of Gary Stus are seen.  Mary Sues are complained about non stop and called special snowflakes and there are web pages set up for the sole purpose to hate on them.  

I'm late to this discussion, as per usual, but I'm not sure what your argument is here. Wouldn't it be just as obnoxious to spare a character from criticism based on gender than it would to appear to single them out just because they're a woman?

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that there are more Mary Sues than Gary Stus. Lana Lang, Marissa Cooper, Kate Austen, Fred Burkle*, River Tam, Beth Greene, JJ Jareau**, Ziva David***, and those are just right off the top of my head and mostly from defunct shows. Would Cookie Lyon count as a Mary Sue? Michonne? Cookie ( who, God love her, has the worst nickname ever) is an ex-con and former drug dealer, but most people on the show seem to respect her, to say nothing of the viewers, who to a large extent love her. Maybe not everyone, but a lot of people IMO. And Michonne, with her backstory of a dead child and first appearing on the show towing the shackled and zombiefied remains of her boyfriend and his buddy to fool other Walkers into thinking she was one of them, kicks quite a lot of ass. Does being good with a weapon qualify a character for the status of Mary Sue?

I think Reid is a male Mary Sue. He's a genius with an eidetic memory. He has a mentally ill mother and an absent father.Everybody on the team loves him and the audience complains if any other character gets screen time. I find Reid so boring.

Fixed. :-)

Also, I don't think everyone on the team loves Reid, not when seven out of ten times they're shushing him and /or rolling their eyes because he's tangenting. If he was uniformly adored by the other characters as opposed to apparently being just tolerated on occasion, that would be one thing, but I don't think its the case. Regardless, I would rather hear Reid bloviate than watch JJ kick all the ass while she's supposedly having a crack-up. If that's unpopular, then I'll be over there somewhere.

* - I was a Fred fan when Angel was still on the air, which I think is unpopular in itself, but on the surface - taken to an alternate dimension where she was enslaved, escaped from captivity and lived on her own for five years, then was rescued and taken home, where two guys immediately became infatuated with her - I can see how the character would grate the nerves of someone who isn't me.

** - I used to be able to tolerate JJ, but a combination of bad writing and worse choices by the network and the showrunner have made her only vaguely bearable to me. For all that boy genius Reid might not be particularly believable, its less believable that its possible for her to have one minute survived the trauma of

torture and a miscarriage

without an emotional scratch, then be falling apart for a single episode while still being totally able to competently do her job. Michonne she is not.

*** Ziva had the same issue JJ does, although I can't speak to how bad it may have gotten by the time she left, and haven't really watched much since Bishop showed up. Then again, I think Tony DiNozzo is kind of a douche, plus Michael Weatherly has always looked like a used car salesman to me, so him being upstaged by Ziva - or Bishop, for that matter - doesn't really bother me.

• Love 1

I hate tabloid shows in general but I thoroughly detest "Entertainment Tonight" and am puzzled and very disappointed that they never seemed to have been called on by their targets or held accountable for the havoc they've wreaked. Case in point - the birth of Angelina Jolie's and Brad Pitts's twins. For weeks on end, not only did the media frenzy force this couple to have to stay holed up in their home with their already large number of offspring while awaiting the birth, but this entity led the pack in spreading the claim that the birth had ALREADY happened. Long-short is that when the dust finally settled and it was proven they "ET" had LIED about the birth date, I was hoping that Miss Jolie and/or Mr. Pitt would have REALLY called them out and forced "ET" to make an abject and consequential apology, but ALL that happened was that "ET" just shrugged their shoulders and said that they'd ' resolved their issues' with the couple. Although I admire Mr. Pitts and Miss Jolie's humanitarian ventures, I'm by no means a fan of their acting or even really like them as people. However; I don't think they or anyone else deserves being besieged this way and  having a life-and-death milestone LIED about and I REALLY wish one or both of them would have done their best to make Mary Hart, etc. cry live on camera after being  eviscerated   by them - regardless of whether they worked for a Paramount related production again.

reason for edit- spelling correction

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

I hate Miss Piggy. I don't find overbearing, narcissistic, mean, selfish characters cute or funny or entertaining.

I love the rest of the Muppets though and the focus on Piggy is ruining the show for. Sad bc I don't think I can watch :(

• Love 7

I hate Miss Piggy. I don't find overbearing, narcissistic, mean, selfish characters cute or funny or entertaining.

I love the rest of the Muppets though and the focus on Piggy is ruining the show for. Sad bc I don't think I can watch :(

I hear ya.  I was sad when I first heard that she and Kermit broke up, but now I'm glad he's rid of her.  I like the other characters though, so I'll still keep watching the show.  I wish she'd fall in a hole or something. 

• Love 1

I'm late to this discussion, as per usual, but I'm not sure what your argument is here. Wouldn't it be just as obnoxious to spare a character from criticism based on gender than it would to appear to single them out just because they're a woman?

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that there are more Mary Sues than Gary Stus. Lana Lang, Marissa Cooper, Kate Austen, Fred Burkle*, River Tam, Beth Greene, JJ Jareau**, Ziva David***, and those are just right off the top of my head and mostly from defunct shows. Would Cookie Lyon count as a Mary Sue? Michonne? Cookie ( who, God love her, has the worst nickname ever) is an ex-con and former drug dealer, but most people on the show seem to respect her, to say nothing of the viewers, who to a large extent love her. Maybe not everyone, but a lot of people IMO. And Michonne, with her backstory of a dead child and first appearing on the show towing the shackled and zombiefied remains of her boyfriend and his buddy to fool other Walkers into thinking she was one of them, kicks quite a lot of ass. Does being good with a weapon qualify a character for the status of Mary Sue?

Fixed. :-)

Also, I don't think everyone on the team loves Reid, not when seven out of ten times they're shushing him and /or rolling their eyes because he's tangenting. If he was uniformly adored by the other characters as opposed to apparently being just tolerated on occasion, that would be one thing, but I don't think its the case. Regardless, I would rather hear Reid bloviate than watch JJ kick all the ass while she's supposedly having a crack-up. If that's unpopular, then I'll be over there somewhere.

* - I was a Fred fan when Angel was still on the air, which I think is unpopular in itself, but on the surface - taken to an alternate dimension where she was enslaved, escaped from captivity and lived on her own for five years, then was rescued and taken home, where two guys immediately became infatuated with her - I can see how the character would grate the nerves of someone who isn't me.

** - I used to be able to tolerate JJ, but a combination of bad writing and worse choices by the network and the showrunner have made her only vaguely bearable to me. For all that boy genius Reid might not be particularly believable, its less believable that its possible for her to have one minute survived the trauma of

torture and a miscarriage

without an emotional scratch, then be falling apart for a single episode while still being totally able to competently do her job. Michonne she is not.

*** Ziva had the same issue JJ does, although I can't speak to how bad it may have gotten by the time she left, and haven't really watched much since Bishop showed up. Then again, I think Tony DiNozzo is kind of a douche, plus Michael Weatherly has always looked like a used car salesman to me, so him being upstaged by Ziva - or Bishop, for that matter - doesn't really bother me.

The team might roll their eyes at Reid however they will also whatever they can to save him when needed. Remember Prentiss saying screw protocol Reid's in trouble? As for JJ Jareau she's experiencing the same thing male b  characters do all the time. I've lost count of the times a male will be physically or emotionally hurt in one episode and be fine the next episode. JJ could be  rceiving counseling away from work the audience doesn't need to see it.

I hear ya.  I was sad when I first heard that she and Kermit broke up, but now I'm glad he's rid of her.  I like the other characters though, so I'll still keep watching the show.  I wish she'd fall in a hole or something. 

Bacon - I'm just saying...

• Love 6

I was a Fred fan when Angel was still on the air, which I think is unpopular in itself, but on the surface - taken to an alternate dimension where she was enslaved, escaped from captivity and lived on her own for five years, then was rescued and taken home, where two guys immediately became infatuated with her - I can see how the character would grate the nerves of someone who isn't me.

No, that wasn't it. I hated her voice and Amy Acker's acting. I would have loved that story and character if it had been portrayed.....differently. More feral, less childlike.

I hate childlike portrayals of women that are over 20. Especially with experiences like that.

I loved her Illyria.

• Love 4

I cannot stand the Muppets, or puppets in general.  Never liked them, never will.

The same goes for clowns, Gumby and those clay animation thingys.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

I cannot stand the Muppets, or puppets in general.  Never liked them, never will.

I don't really understand why the Muppets are treated as if they were real people. I find that rather.....absurd. But then, I didn't really see the point of them when I was a kid either.

• Love 6

Christmas claymation specials are TERRIFYING! I tried watching one last year, thinking maybe I'd outgrown whatever made them scary to me as a child...nope. Fuck Rudolph and the rest of em forever and ever lol.

• Love 2

Christmas claymation specials are TERRIFYING! I tried watching one last year, thinking maybe I'd outgrown whatever made them scary to me as a child...nope. Fuck Rudolph and the rest of em forever and ever lol.

I could handle Rudolph, but the one with the Hot and Cold Misers?  Ugh.

I can't explain why I love the muppets except that I loved them as a kid and it's nostalgic for me.  I also like the writing for their shows-it's sharp and witty (and, yes, sometimes dumb, I'll admit it).  Piggy, however, isn't my favorite character by far--I can only take her in small doses.

• Love 1

I like It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown almost as much as A Charlie Brown Christmas. It's not the iconic classic the latter is, obviously, but it's not bad.

I hated that Miss Piggy and Kermit were ever a couple. It was the most ridiculous thing (and yes, I know they're felt puppets).

I cannot stand the ... clowns.

No savvy person likes clowns. We know they're up to evil.

I was watching "Robot Chicken" the other night, and they did a skit spoofing Mr. Magoo, which reminded me: I hate Mr. Magoo. I never found that cartoon funny at all. 

• Love 5

Christmas claymation specials are TERRIFYING! I tried watching one last year, thinking maybe I'd outgrown whatever made them scary to me as a child...nope. Fuck Rudolph and the rest of em forever and ever lol

LMAO. My wife can't watch these specials either; I have to go elsewhere to watch my favorite Heat and Cold Misers! What makes them creepy? Is it the way they move? My wife can't explain why they're creepy, she just shudders when I mention that Christmas specials are starting to appear in the TV listings...

I never liked the more popular Muppets or Sesame Street characters: Miss Piggy, Kermit, Big Bird, Grover...could not stand any of them and they were ALWAYS in every ep, whereas my favorites (Cookie Monster, the Yip Yips, the Swedish Chef, Statler/Waldorf) didn't necessarily always have a big part, which was very disappointing to me. Ruined my childhood, dang it. 

This seems a little odd coming from someone with a purple dinosaur as an avatar  .....  how do you feel about Barney?

And, I don't know what's included in "those clay animation thingys" but who doesn't love Wallace and Grommit?  And the actual Claymation Christmas Special (made in the era of the California Raisins) is awesome, if only for the camels.

• Love 3

This seems a little odd coming from someone with a purple dinosaur as an avatar  .....  how do you feel about Barney?

And, I don't know what's included in "those clay animation thingys" but who doesn't love Wallace and Grommit?  And the actual Claymation Christmas Special (made in the era of the California Raisins) is awesome, if only for the camels.

I hate Barney, too.  My avatar is supposed to be a T-Rex (weak ineffectual arms & ferocious grin), most generously provided to me by a fellow poster; it would've been churlish of me to nitpick.  ;-)

No clay figures at all, no California Raisins, and fuck those M&M's, too.  :-D

• Love 1

I hate tabloid shows in general but I thoroughly detest "Entertainment Tonight" and am puzzled and very disappointed that they never seemed to have been called on by their targets or held accountable for the havoc they've wreaked. 

I'm curious how you feel about TMZ. Yes, it's a tabloid show whose journalists chase the sensational and capitalize on others' tragedies. But what I do like about the show is that TMZ is usually accurate with its "breaking stories." I don't know if it's because Harvey is a lawyer who fact checks before broadcasting. Or it's because horrible people sell their stories and unauthorized photos and videos to TMZ. But in any event, TMZ has become culturally relevant (which is a sad commentary about our culture, I know). TMZ broke the stories about Michael Jackson's death, Rihanna's abuse, and Ray Rice's memorable date with his fiancee in a New Jersey elevator. 

• Love 1

I don't find the Heretics on The Vampire Diaries particularly interesting, but they are easily hateable. I find them much more suitable villains than those Originals (thank goodness they have their own show, so I don't have to watch them anymore). I find Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Ric, Caroline and Matt and Tyler working together to fight off those Heretics a lot of fun and rootable.

I have said to myself more than once that FINALLY Vampire Diaries has villains that I can enjoy hating. I never got the appeal of the Originals (especially Elijah, exactly HOW is he so honorable?) and I REALLY hated (in a hate to hate way) Katherine.

However, aliens scare the crap out of me. I feel like a lot of people think they are stupid idea in sci if shows and movies lately, but seriously, nothing paranormal scares me more.

I heard that a long time ago there was a rumor that at Area 51 there were actual aliens were working with humans on the space program. I often thought it would be pretty awesome if true, but I'd probably be scared if I ever came face to face with an alien :)
  • Love 1

I'm curious how you feel about TMZ. Yes, it's a tabloid show whose journalists chase the sensational and capitalize on others' tragedies. But what I do like about the show is that TMZ is usually accurate with its "breaking stories." I don't know if it's because Harvey is a lawyer who fact checks before broadcasting. Or it's because horrible people sell their stories and unauthorized photos and videos to TMZ. But in any event, TMZ has become culturally relevant (which is a sad commentary about our culture, I know). TMZ broke the stories about Michael Jackson's death, Rihanna's abuse, and Ray Rice's memorable date with his fiancee in a New Jersey elevator. 

Fair enough question. OK,  I also dislike TMZ and have no use for it. However; IMO, it's marginally better than "ET" in that it never attempts to fake liking any of its targets  or having any respect for its audience. IMO, both are toxic but at least TMZ doesn't try to saccharine-coat  its toxic core. 

• Love 2

And the tapes that proved that Stephen Collins is a child molester.

As long as Bozo is exempt from the list of scary clowns, I'm good. (Besides, ventriloquist dummies are the ones that REALLY scare me. *shudder*)

The latter may be a UO in itself.

• Love 1