Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E08: Week 8

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Ben goes on hometown dates to meet the families of the final four ladies. One family question the certainty of Ben's feelings and bring him to tears, and a concerned dad grills Ben at another home. One bachelorette is blindsided by something very unexpected.

First off, it’s nice to not have an Evil Bitch in the final four. None of the last four women are horrible, or at least none of them have been edited that way, which is a breath of fresh air.

I think the no shoulders-shirt (a la Amanda) is quite unfortunate. More importantly, the whole children-on-camera thing was close to child abuse, as far as I’m concerned. The youngest girl is still a BABY, and she was having NONE OF THIS. Those poor children, props of this gross reality TV show. Amanda should be ashamed of herself. (I type this as I kick myself for watching in the first place.)

Caila is beautiful – that hair is amazing – but she strikes me as super, super fake. There’s definitely something off about her, although Ben/the producers keep pushing this storyline that she’s “real.” The whole Caila family visit was really odd. Wish I could put my finger on it more clearly. Building the house at the toy factory looked not fun.

She gave it away when she told her mother that Ben has the characteristics that she wants in a husband – BZZZZZ! Wrong answer. She’s just checking off the boxes.

Also, she had a voiceover – during the fake Officer and a Gentleman scene at the factory -- that said something like, “I can’t wait for my dream to come true,” and I said out loud, “Girlfriend, you’re TWENTY FOUR. Give it a rest.” But I guess that’s the script you recite when you’re auditioning to be the Bachelorette.

Jojo’s hometown visit was batshit from the start! Wow.

Ben to Jojo: “I’m nervous [about meeting your family.]” Jojo to Ben: “Don’t be nervous.” Ehh, Ben, go ahead and be nervous.

The brothers – SO LOUD! WOW. SO MUCH NOISE. The brothers are – umm – a bit too kissy on their sister. Sorry. Weird.

And man, they were super tough. I thought the younger one (also named Ben) was going to actually slit Ben’s throat.

Ben said something like, “Everything was behind my back,” but seriously? I don’t know how much more blunt they could have been to his face.

Why is Amanda bitching about being brought back to Los Angeles? Doesn’t she live in Orange County? It’s not like she had to take a plane to come back for the rose ceremony.

“I’ve never introduced anyone to my kids.” I don’t get this. HOW MANY BOYFRIENDS HAS SHE HAD SINCE HER DIVORCE???

Poor weepy Ben.

• Love 17

Best Wrong Reasons moment of the night: Jojo's mom taking a big swig directly out of the champagne bottle while Jojo's brother was reading Ben the riot act. Ha!

Dis-honorable mention: The exact moment Jojo realized the love letter that she was reading was NOT from Ben. Ooh!

Best Right Reasons moment of the night: Ben starting to cry when talking about what he loved about Lauren. Awe!

Honorable mention: Sending Amanda home. I think they both handled it with grace, and he made the right choice of not getting more involved in the kids' lives if she's not The One. He obviously cared for her deeply to get that emotional.

Best home cooking: Caila's mom's Filipino food.

Most over the top house: Jojo's parents' mansion! But the decor was ridiculous--floor to ceiling medieval tapestries!

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 23

Hometown dates is always one of my favorite episodes of the season as you never, ever know what the families are going to say and do.  

Best moment: JoJo's mom just drinking straight form the wine bottle

most real moment: baby Charlie showing what its like to be around a toddler

Can't wait for next week and Ben's attempt at a full Mesnick!

• Love 7

Whoa, I can't believe Ben wasn't more shell-shocked after the visit to Jojo's house. First of all, the McMansion with the hotel furnishings. Wtf was that? And her mother's face was giving me nightmares. It was the worst combination of botox, fillers, and implants I've ever seen. She couldn't even close her joker mouth.

Other than that, these hometown dates were pretty typical. Standard questions, then acceptance of the random Bachelor dating their daughters. Zzzzzzz......

• Love 1

Holy shit, JoJo's mother is a beast.  The combination of sun damage, plastic surgery, bad fillers, and booze body would have made me run for the hills.  The whole family gave off a crime syndicate vibe.  I can't imagine Ben wanting to spend his life related to those people.

No, but I think she's Persian/Iranian.

That's what I thought immediately, too, especially given the decor of the house.

• Love 11

Caila makes me crazy.  Sure, she's pretty, but she also seems completely shallow and fake.  She was in real fairy princess mode when building the toys: "This is the MOST FUN DAY EVER!"  It's like she thinks that, if she acts like Tenley, she'll get to be the next bachelorette.  Sorry, sweetie, you are no Tenley and you are way too boring to be the next bachelorette.

Also, I agree with the PP who said that JoJo's entire visit was batshit insane.  The part where she read the letter and discovered it was from her ex did crack me up, though. Poor girl. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't have left my drinks in the Whiskey Library like Ben and Lauren did.  

They saved Jo Jo's visit for last because it was the biggest upset.  Her brothers came off as wanting all the attention on themselves.  I realized I wouldn't want Jo Jo as Bachelorette because it would mean her brothers being on again.

I wanted to eat at Caila's house.  That looked so good.

• Love 5

-I suppose these posts must shorten as the number of females dwindles.  Hindsight is easy but these were the best-looking girls of the bunch and the sheer insanity of most of the field, appearances notwithstanding, virtually guaranteed these four would remain at the end.

-It’s Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth Week….Lauren’s family look like they stepped out of a Lands’ End catalog…not that that’s a bad thing.  We learned her impressive-looking relation was sister Mollie not her mother but Mom was also attractive herself regardless of age.  Mollie appears to be a Past Master at flirtation with her slinky sweater/tank combination, body language, glass of wine and bedroom eyes.  Ben was too busy whimpering to notice.  Soft lad.  It might be bad form to hit on the sister but that’s what password-protected phones are for.

-We cracked Caila’s genetic code with the proudly Filipino mom.  Dad was a strange cat with his glued-down combover and tangerine trousers.  One of my pet peeves is people who over-enunciate their words and adopt that lecturing, patronizing Mr Rogers singsong cadence.  As my old man would say:  ‘Take the hot soup out of your mouth.’  They never really explained, unless I missed it, what all the moving house was about during Caila’s upbringing.  It was confirmed elsewhere that she attended Western Reserve Academy (private high school in Hudson) for a cool $30k per year so setting down belated roots is always a bit easier when it’s in a posh suburb/school.  The obvious 'An Officer And A Gentleman' homage was accompanied by another egregiously derivative musical cue.  I'm not big on lawsuits but some copyright holder/songwriter can and should nail Fleiss & Co. for such shameless pilfering.

-The Amanda situation was openly tipped off last week.  One kid, even a toddler, might be a possibility for a bachelor or The Bachelor.  Two is an untenable circus.  She really should be looking for a blended family situation where a single dad won’t experience culture shock even with three or four kids under one roof.  Ben can be excused for not becoming Instant Father although he certainly spent plenty of time around kids at the youth center in Indiana.  One cardinal rule is that you squat or kneel down to look at a kid at eye level.  A 6-2 man towering over them only makes them more nervous and shy.

-JoJo had to deal with producer shenanigans twice over.  First, Roses From The Ex arrived (how did he know when she would return home exactly?) along with a letter.  Given that it was handwritten wouldn’t she recognize his writing before peeking at the ‘surprise’ signature?  Wouldn’t verb tenses, references to timeframes, prior events, etc. reveal that it wasn’t a Ben letter?  Credit to her for clearing it up in rapid fashion but it seems she was being burdened with her past where the others weren’t.

-JoJo producer shenanigans pt 2 featured some of the usual Bachelor editing hackery:  sound bites and visuals intentionally jumbled up.  Males can and often do adopt a mock-serious tone when teasing each other but there’s no malice intended.  Of course, a stern voice and a shot of Ben gulping nervously were meant to give the impression that we had a Desiree-style Double Trouble as the brothers lost their rag and ganged up on him.  They have every right to ask certain questions but it wasn’t overly hostile.  Internet scuttlebutt/research reveals that one of JoJo’s brothers was on Ready For Love (?)  EDIT:  confirmed upthread.  His name’s Ben Patton, hers is Joelle Fletcher.  The mismatching surnames were never mentioned and therefore never explained but perhaps it’s another case of blended families?

-The ladies finally explored the section of the wardrobe labeled ‘knockout.’  JoJo’s dress was, quite simply, a traffic-stopper.  Wow.  And wow.  Lauren’s off-the-shoulder number was impressive as well as was her painstakingly-straightened hair.  It was obvious that Amanda had reached the end of the line but it’s always interesting to see what mix of surprise, sadness, anger and resentment will be elicited at a RC ejection and the claws often come out once a hopeful has been sent packing.

-Jamaica awaits next week along with some heart-quickening bachelorettes in bikinis.  Caila opts for basic black while JoJo kills it (a recurring theme) in a Me Tarzan You Jane-inspired number.

-While the editors are busy tossing out red herrings, they have failed the most basic task ie maintaining the suspense. 

While Ben gives his ‘I’ve been in love with you for a while’ speech and gazes intently at the object of his desire we can see blonde hair edging into the camera frame.  Guess who!

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 11

While at JoJo's house, I said to my friend, who was watching with me, how familiar her brother Ben looked. We looked him up. He was on a NBC dating show called, "Ready for Love". I guess it runs in the family. Click on the link and then click again on Ben Patton for a bio.

http://www.nbc.com/ready-for-love

Guess it didn't work out for him. Maybe because he comes off as a jerk.

• Love 2

-I suppose these posts must shorten as the numbers of females dwindle.  Hindsight is easy but these were the best-looking girls of the bunch and the sheer insanity of most of the field, appearances notwithstanding, virtually guaranteed these four would remain at the end.

Wow, I disagree with you there. Lauren B. and Amanda are downright homely in my opinion (their hair is fried, and their faces look pinched and strained), and I would put them in the bottom half of the girls on this season for sure. Certainly they're among the least attractive girls that anyone will remember from this season. Jojo's cute, has a great personality and is among the show's best dressers, but I don't think she's one of the best looking there, either. People like Leah and Becca were technically prettier, although I'd rather date Jojo (and clearly so would Ben). Jojo can clean up well, but she often looks haggard in the face. I think the season's prettiest girls were Jennifer, Caila, Olivia, and Jubilee.

Actually, to Ben's credit, I DON'T think he's moved along girls on the basis of pure "objective" hotness. Obviously he's going with girls HE is attracted to, but I also think personality matters a lot to him.

Edited by DriveInSaturday
  • Love 7

Caila's rose ceremony dress was hideous. JoJo's was stunning.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Lauren said 'whiskey liberry.'

Quieter brother freaked me the fuck out. Outspoken brother just seemed like a douchebag.

Yes, I noticed that she didn't pronounce library correctly, one of my pet peeves.

• Love 5

OK, here goes:

• ​Amanda, you have two impressionable children under the age of four. Did you expect a mid-twentysomething to propose to you? I know there are some exceptions, but I don't think Ben is ready to go that next step. 
  • JoJo, you didn't recognize your ex-boyfriend's handwriting? Also, where were your "protective" brothers when Chad was stalking around?
  • Loved JoJo's mom swigging wine directly out of the bottle on camera. No filters I see.
  • Lauren B's brothers drilling Ben on the fantasy suite at the end of the show was cringeworthy yet humorous.
  • I guess since Desiree had  an "overprotective" brother and became the Bachelorette, does this mean JoJo will be the next Bachelorette as well?
  • I'm glad to see Des and Chris in the McDonald's commercial with Ben. You guys are still one of my favorite couples.

Carry on!

Edited by Nedsdag
  • Love 6

This is the first time the hometowns squicked me out. I don't know why exactly... I guess it was because Ben was always like Oh it's EASY why I like her for -insert generic reasons- but he seemed so... genuine about it. Creepy. Plus all the families seemed pretty with it and appropriately skeptical so it was a higher level of awkward than usual.

• Love 2

OMG, I watched with 4 other friends and we all nearly peed our pants laughing during Jojo's date. Did you see her mom drink straight from the wine bottle?? I thought I was going to die laughing!! And her dad looked like Hitler. And her mom....no words, bless her (botoxed) soul. And the brothers.....OMG, it was TV gold!!

I loved the outtake with Lauren's brother.

And I want to design and build a playhouse!

On a more serious note, a little FYI.....Lauren's 18 yr old dog Tessa died sometime between the filming and now.

• Love 4

Wow this episode was very interesting and telling to say the least. My thoughts:

If anyone had doubts that Lauren B was the one than tonight should eliminate them. His crying trying to explain how he felt about her was a dead give away. He loves that girl. Nice normal family. I think the only question left is who's going to be the next B'ette because she's got this.

Speaking as a single mom I can understand the conversation between Amanda and her mom where she told her that she deserved time to herself. I agree but it's so obvious there's a difference between a occasional break and months long absences. Her daughter's are 3 and 1 and she said before the show that the longest she had been away from them was 4 days. My daughter was 5 before she ever spent a night away from me! Long story short I didn't have much family to help and never felt comfortable with her staying with just anyone. I'm not saying that everyone's life is the same but I think everyone would agree with young children long absences are not in the their best interest. Amanda seems to love her girls but I think she's got a warped sense of the real world and dating from thinking she can find what her and her girls need on a dating show. She's young. That explains so many things. She just needs to concentrate on her kids and the rest will fall in place with time. For that reason and more I hope she's not the next b'ette.

This may not be a popular opinion but I like Caila more with each episode. I think Ben is more into JoJo than her, and while earlier in the season I couldn't warm up to Caila and she seemed a little bland, I can see now more where she's coming from. Her and JoJo are really similar actually in that they are very reserved and ultra guarded with their feelings. The difference is in how they convey it.

I liked Caila's parents. Her mom was very sweet and warming to Ben and I actually thought her dad was the most easy going and less interrogative of the dads. I thought that her toy factory date was a good idea. It was different and showed him a little more about her life and background. I really think what's holding her back is she senses he has stronger connections with the other women.

Oh my goodness JoJo. Between her ex and that family she's suddenly went from the drama free one to being really baggage heavy. Caila seemed very close to her parents and kind of pampered but at least they let her make her own decisions. It's nice to have close older brothers to "have your back" but that was a little much. Really unwarranted since Ben IMO is nothing like say a Nick Viall or Juan Pablo..etc. And let's hope JoJo looks nothing like her mother as she ages. That was just unfortunate looking. Good for her that she looks more like her dad.

I think it says a lot towards Ben's feelings for JoJo that he kept her after all that. Big question is who he sends home next week. I think the order in which he gave out the roses tonight says a lot towards his comfort level with the families but in the end it's which woman he feels the closest too. I think it will be JoJo he keeps but if not I will have to say that I think Caila would more logically be the best choice for next b'ette. Any men thinking about auditioning could be scared off from the "terrrible two" of JoJo's brothers and if Ben doesn't ultimately pick her than she will have two recent heartbreaks. That would make it kind of hard to believe she would be ready to tackle it again that soon. We'll see.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 3

While at JoJo's house, I said to my friend, who was watching with me, how familiar her brother Ben looked.  We looked him up.  He was on a NBC dating show called, "Ready for Love".   I guess it runs in the family. Click on the link and then click again on Ben Patton for a bio.

http://www.nbc.com/ready-for-love

You'd think he'd be a little more understanding, based on his past experiences ... or maybe that's what's making him so jerky, because either (a) he knows from experience how much a Bachelor-type figure messes with the heads of the girls that are vying for their attention or (b) he's jealous of how much better of a Bachelor Ben is than him.

Wow, I disagree with you there. Lauren B. and Amanda are downright homely in my opinion (their hair is fried, and their faces look pinched and strained), and I would put them in the bottom half of the girls on this season for sure. Certainly they're among the least attractive girls that anyone will remember from this season. Jojo's cute, has a great personality and is among the show's best dressers, but I don't think she's one of the best looking there, either. People like Leah and Becca were technically prettier, although I'd rather date Jojo (and clearly so would Ben). Jojo can clean up well, but she often looks haggard in the face. I think the season's prettiest girls were Jennifer, Caila, Olivia, and Jubilee.

Actually, to Ben's credit, I DON'T think he's moved along girls on the basis of pure "objective" hotness. Obviously he's going with girls HE is attracted to, but I also think personality matters a lot to him.

Totally agree with this! Although Olivia slipped a lot in my eyes and it wasn't just her attitude. She looked like she didn't even try to do anything with her hair as it got limper and more plastered to her head with that hideous center part and she looked unfortunate without makeup. But I agree and give props to Ben for keeping the ones he seems to have a genuine connection with.

• Love 2

I really hate the hometown dates that revolve around the parents' home. I would so much rather see them take place where the contestants themselves live, so the star can meet their friends, see where they work, where they hang out, what they like to do. I think that would give the star a much better appreciation of what the contestants are like when they're not on a reality TV show. Except for the twins, most of this season's contestants don't live at home (the twins probably don't either, their mom just kept their rooms), and many don't live anywhere near their families. And it's not like the families signed on for the show and then pushed their kid into the spotlight--there might be a lot more applicants if the families were taken out of the equation. 

• Love 10

As nice as they seemed, I just got a weird vibe from Caila's family (I overlooked those tangerine slack and light blue dress shirt on dad). Maybe it's just wanting to know why they moved 14 times? Also, the father's talk about this wonderful community Ben would be part of seemed the opposite of what Caila had said, that she worried about bringing Ben to meet her family because they were so isolated  (unless I'm mis-remembering). Still, that "14 times" thing is strange to me for a non-military family. Also, Caila seems "off" somehow, I can't explain it but she doesn't seem genuine either. She'd never be my choice as b-ette--but ITA that she should do hair commercials.

I thought it was sweet that both Ben and Lauren cried  when they talked about each other to Mollie. Lauren's very pretty/cute, but what I like most about her, week after week, is that she is always nice, but quietly so, and never seems to be "trying too hard". I imagine that's very difficult in this situation, especially with producers nagging you to amp up your emotions and responses to things all the time. I like her sincere down to earth personality--much like Ben's.

I think JoJo lost out on being the b-ette (assuming she doesn't win) after her hometown visit. Fine with me if she does. I'd rather have someone completely new than someone from this season, including Lauren B, just because I don't think she'd like the process and it would show (as it kind of is at this point with Ben, too.)

• Love 3

Jojo's brothers were a little douchey, but honestly, they had every right to say the things they said. This is a very superficial situation and I've always found it weird how happy and supportive the families are. Ben was very obviously cagey with the brothers, and you could absolutely tell she's not the final one. The brothers knew it. Ben, of course, couldnt handle a the situation.

• Love 8

Ben:  So, what do your kids like to do?

Amanda:  They like to be chased.

LOL

I love the hometown dates, even though they can be excruciating at times. 

Jojo's family was kind of sinister.  Her brothers were a couple of loud jerks and were acting out just for a little more camera time.  What did Jojo's father say at dinner about there being 2 businessmen in town (Dallas) who, for certain favors, could help with Ben's future endeavors?  I started getting a "Godfather" vibe from him at that point.  That was weird, as was when Ben said he loved Denver, BUT he could see relocating to Dallas as well.  What?

The bachelor is always in an awkward position of having to say "Your daughter is amazing.  She's in my top 4."  without actually saying THAT.  Most parents/family seem to understand this dilemma.

Lauren's sister was hot!  I was yelling at Ben to "trade on up"!

Caila is still my favorite.  I like her, I like her family, and I like her town.  I hope she's the new Bachelorette.

I guess meeting Amanda's kids clued him in to how difficult it would be to become an instant father.  Amanda's dad was also pretty good at letting him know that its not all "a day at the beach" when its his full-time job as a parent.  I wish Ben had figured that out the previous week, though, so those kids wouldn't have to be trotted out in front of the cameras for our entertainment.  I hope Amanda doesn't end up blaming them for her getting ousted.  Also, if Amanda was Bens' final pick, I'm sure Amanda's ex-husband would have something to say about them taking his kids out-of-state to Colorado.

• Love 4

I thought the brothers' thinking was understandable, but they've seen the show, right? They should know Ben is limited in terms of what he can tell them. If they want to give him a warning, okay, but the quiet one in the kitchen was glaring at Ben like "if looks could kill" and that seemed pretty OTT considering it was JoJo's choice to go on the show, knowing exactly how it always works.

I had a feeling then thought Ben wasn't macho enough for their sister, that the qualities that make him so likeable to the b-ettes and the audience--kindness, obvious gentleness and sensitivity--weren't selling at all well with the brothers. I think they took it personally that JoJo was enjoying time with someone like Ben.

• Love 5

Whoa, I can't believe Ben wasn't more shell-shocked after the visit to Jojo's house. First of all, the McMansion with the hotel furnishings. Wtf was that? And her mother's face was giving me nightmares. It was the worst combination of botox, fillers, and implants I've ever seen. 

Alcohol abuse as well?

• Love 2

I could tell who Ben was feeling by the way he was dressed. The outfit he wore to Amanda's was a wreck and I'm pretty sure he had on Vans shoes. For the JoJo date he was just rocking a t-shirt and a random fleece zip-up which he left inside in his hurry to vacate the premises.

• Love 5

I don't always agree with people who look down on those who have children and choose to go on a reality show, mainly because I don't know their situation and would like to think they have either trusted family members or the other parent to care for their children while they are away.  However, I CAN side eye someone who introduces said children to someone who is not even a guarantee steady figure in their life.  It's even worse that it was done on national television.

Caila reminds me of Amy Adams' character in Enchanted, with all her wide eyed wonder and breathy voice and "everything is amazing" mentality.  The only difference is it doesn't come across as genuine at all.  And yes, Ben loves you because your mommy said so.

Lauren has a good looking family.  But really, producers?  Having those two young boys whose balls haven't even dropped yet ask about the fantasy suite?  Sorry to be vulgar, but come on. 

I feel like JoJo's brothers will be waiting for Ben in Jamaica with a bat if he doesn't pick her at the end.

• Love 7

Jojo's hometown was a disaster from the start. Did they actually do anything fun in Dallas? Ex boyfriend drama and then family drama seems too much for Ben to handle. He's got to be done there. 

Her brothers were actually refreshingly realistic to me. When the one called out on the brainwashing, and the "scripted" response I kind of laughed because so much on this show and when they ask questions to Ben it sounds rehearsed. Also when they pointed out to Jojo that she had just been on 2 dates with him but she's claiming love. She tried to use the group dates as an excuse and the brother pointed back out to her she said they were alone  on 2 dates. You don't really get  family members pointing out realistic facts.

Jojo's mother had a lot of work done to her face. They look pretty well employed and wealthy. 

I agreed with Amanda's logic of why Ben waited until the rose ceremony to let her go. I thought with all of them at that rose ceremony, he had to have known at this point it would have been better to tell who ever he was cutting while they were in their hometown. Especially with kids involved, I think Ben knew she wasn't the one. He could have let her know before. 

Caila's hair is awesome. I liked her family a lot too. She seemed to be auditioning this episode, she was just too giddy. 

Lauren and Ben's date seemed the most normal and down to earth for a new couple starting out. 

• Love 4

As nice as they seemed, I just got a weird vibe from Caila's family (I overlooked those tangerine slack and light blue dress shirt on dad). Maybe it's just wanting to know why they moved 14 times? Also, the father's talk about this wonderful community Ben would be part of seemed the opposite of what Caila had said, that she worried about bringing Ben to meet her family because they were so isolated  (unless I'm mis-remembering). Still, that "14 times" thing is strange to me for a non-military family. Also, Caila seems "off" somehow, I can't explain it but she doesn't seem genuine either. She'd never be my choice as b-ette--but ITA that she should do hair commercials.

It looks like they moved around a lot because of her father's jobs.  I looked up his CEO position and there was an article about him.  The whole family lived in the Boston area until very recently while he worked at New Balance.  They moved to Ohio because of his new position.  I thought she moved there for school.  Her mother was born in the Philippines and came here as a child.  She is quite beautiful but I wonder why she took so long to fix her teeth (she had orthodontic stuff on her teeth). 

• Love 1

I wanted to eat at Caila's house.  That looked so good.

I was lucky enough to work in an office for ten years with a Filipino lady and they indeed are a very vibrant, friendly, generous, close knit community who love to have big celebrations for everything - births, birthdays, graduations, engagements, weddings, you name it, they have a party for it and I was invited to a number of them. The food is absolutely fantastic and I always had such a great time. The dinner table at Caila's looked very familiar and made me quite nostalgic for those good old days. 

• Love 5

OK, don't judge, but I watched some parts of Ready For Love, the show that JoJo's brother Ben Patton was on. He's apparently a hospital administrator/CEO, and his parents are prominent doctors, and IMO he was actually the least douchy out of the three "prizes". So color me surprised at how trashy that family came across on this show. I would not want to put myself into the care of any of them.

• Love 5

I was a little embarrassed for Lauren's brothers with the end segment, BUT I did kind of enjoy how difficult it was for Ben to answer it . You could see he really was thinking of the FS the way some of us do (yes, with "physical intimacy"), but of course he didn't want Lauren's brother to think that way. Kind of cute, seeing him so off balance.

Most of my main observations have already been posted by others but here goes:

Jo-Jo's mother swigging from the wine bottle was both one of the funniest and one of the most disturbing things I have seen. I wonder as someone has already said if part of the strangness of her face is alcohol bloat. In any case I can't believe that between Jo-Jo's ex and her bizarre family that Ben did not dump her. But then I also do not find her attractive. In the least. So there is that. I also think that it was someone else's handwritting on the note from her ex. It was quite distinct (and I also thought written by a female) so if it was really Jo-Jo's ex's handwriting there is no way she would not have known. She also said something very odd while talking to him on the phone. She basically said that she wasn't interested in a relationship with him right now. She did not say that she was over him and never wanted to get back with him (though that is what she told Ben she said, in so many words). Anyhow I hope she is gone next week.

I think Jo-Jo might have been gone this week (or maybe I am wrong and she is one of the two he is in love with) but realized that it would be cruel to lead Amanda along any longer. I am not even a kid person and I felt sorry for those kids. They haven't seen their mother in ages and the first time they do they have to share her with some stranger? No more kids on this show please.

I loved Calia's family - they were much more normal than I was expecting. Her mom is gorgeous - you can certainly see where she gets her looks. I would not mind Calia being the next bachlorette at all.

Loved Lauren's family and she has been my fav all along. Her family was very sweet, normal and seemed to see how much Ben cares for Lauren. I hope they end up together.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5

I loved it when one of JoJo's brothers said he loved her "indefinitely." Ha.

Oh my god her family was so creepy. Her brothers almost reminded me of those fathers who make their daughters pledge that they'll stay virgins until marriage. Paternalistic and skeevy at the same time.

Lauren's family is so hilariously white.

Caila's so going to get her heart crushed.

Edited by violetr
  • Love 5

Aiyiyi - if JoJo's mom (facially, Kaitlyn redux, IMO) is truly a "prominent doctor" there's little hope for the rest of us to find beauty via cosmetic surgery!  She must know & be able to afford the best docs, yet sadly looks freakish.  Maybe the alcohol impaired her judgement...

So many people have raved re JoJo's looks, which to me are only average (except her fake (??) boobs.)  It's clear she resembles her dad strongly - so if Ben likes Dad's bulldog looks, he'll find JoJo attractive in 30 years.

Lauren has her Meryl Streep doppelganger moments, but how adorbs that Ben is so IN LOVE he cries about her, & she weeps for him, too!  They could have the cutest & sweetest little chicken-faced, cross-eyed babes evah!  Which is not to say that Ben & Lauren are anything other than attractive, in their own unique ways.

Caila has great hair & Amanda has lovely bone structure.

• Love 5

I really think Ben could have easily finished giving out roses after Lauren and Caila tonight, except oops he had to give out one more. I thought Caila's toy factory date was creative and looked like so much fun. I thought it was the best hometown activity type date out of all of them. After that disaster of a day with JoJo and her family I can't imagine him wanting to sign up for any more of that crazy. Plus I think her brothers called it, she's more into him than he is into her. Both of them said they're "falling" or could be "falling" in love but the other 3 relationships seemed further along. My thought is he could've sent either Amanda or JoJo home, but picked Amanda so she could go back to her kids.

I laughed way louder than I should have when Amanda complained about having to "come back to LA" and then be sent home. They started their hometown date in Laguna Beach. I don't know where exactly she lives or where the mansion is in Los Angeles, but I'm guessing it was what, an hour drive?  C'mon now. I know it was for drama but that just sounded ridiculous.

Pretty sure Lauren's the one, but I'm wondering who the next Bachelorette will be. I thought they couldn't usually pick F2 because of timing, but I can't see them picking JoJo after that hometown date... hmmm.

• Love 2

I really hate the hometown dates that revolve around the parents' home. I would so much rather see them take place where the contestants themselves live, so the star can meet their friends, see where they work, where they hang out, what they like to do. I think that would give the star a much better appreciation of what the contestants are like when they're not on a reality TV show. Except for the twins, most of this season's contestants don't live at home (the twins probably don't either, their mom just kept their rooms), and many don't live anywhere near their families. And it's not like the families signed on for the show and then pushed their kid into the spotlight--there might be a lot more applicants if the families were taken out of the equation. 

Or they could just do both. Trim the fat off the season (i.e. some of those group dates where the group just complains about group dates) and give us two weeks of "hometown" dates...with and without family.

I was surprised to read upthread that someone considers Amanda and Lauren to be homely. I know looks are subjective, but I can't see any way that Amanda and Lauren wouldn't be considered beautiful out in the real world.

Jojo's family greeting her at the door was so over the top that I thought they were putting on an act just to be funny. I was waiting for everyone to start laughing at the joke, but they never did. Really weird!

• Love 8

Clearly Ben hasn't been around young children much.  I don't have kids, but I know that 3 year olds and especially 1 year olds aren't great conversationalists and don't shake hands when they meet people... Or was Ben reaching down and holding his hand out to the 1 year old so she could sniff it like a dog?

Maybe he'd do better with older kids... kids the age of Amanda's children don't really even get who he is (or care).  He might have been able to coax the older one into being more interested... if he had brought an age appropriate toy... not a kite.  And when they were walking near the water, he didn't hold her hand and turned his back on her more than once.  I was waiting for her to make a break for it and run into the water.  As for the youngest... she's a toddler.  Heck, after her mom being away for more than a month, she's probably just getting used to having her back again.

As for the other dates... JoJo's family... red flag city.  Ben and Caila seemed to be having fun together.  But it's so Lauren! 

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 5

Jojo's entire segment seemed to me to be over-acted, like everyone had memorized a script or was reading off cue cards.

Yes. I usually have my suspend-disbelief hat on with this show, but that was so much more than it could handle. From the camera in her apartment when the roses came, to Chad's gruff voice on the phone as Ben walked up the drive, to JoJO's fake tears and incessant tossing of her greasy hair -- all so fake. Come on show. Then the family inside their giant museum of large showy objects décor. Shudder.

I have two older brothers who love me but when I come home they don't scream my name and attack me with kisses. Neither did they glare at my dates and tell them they were protective of me, they loved me indefinitely, I was beautiful, they were protective of me, I was beautiful, on a loop, all evening. I noticed that when JoJo told her mother she was unsure about how Ben felt about her, her mother's response was, "Don't worry. You're beautiful." Apparently, in that family being beautiful is the one and only quality that matters in a woman. No wonder her poor, aging mother is spending her days at the plastic surgeon's office and her nights drinking.

I liked Lauren's family and how sweetly in love she and Ben are.

I like Caila a lot, too, and I'm not looking forward to watching her get her heart broken. (If she does.) My brother went with a Filipino woman for a while and, like Caila's father, he was impressed with how close and warm the Filipino community was, but after some time had passed he still felt like an outsider looking in. I've experienced that with my husband's huge family. At first you think, "Wow, this is great, I can't wait to be part of this!" but at some point you realize you never really will be. It may not really matter with whoever Caila marries, though, because she seems like a little bit of a loner who will make her own nuclear family her center when the time comes.

I can't imagine Fantasy Suite dates with Gentleman Ben. What does he mean when he says he's not going to "demean," anyone? Lauren's little brothers and I want to know.

• Love 15