Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: It's Hard Out Here For A General

thewhiteowl

It's been six months since Olivia and Fitz have broken up, and they are both handling their newfound freedom in very different ways. Meanwhile, the Pope and Associates team take on a case that could lead to a national crisis.

That was a good nap. What a boring episode. I didn't care about any of the plots.

And how weird that Rowan considers Jake his son after ordering him to sleep with Liv. :/

It's clear that Rowan plans to have Liv and Jake as the true power brokers in Washington. Liv might actually want to get on board. She stays picking Fitz because her gut is for ish. Maybe going against her "instincts" will yield positive results.

• Love 2

It's clear that Rowan plans to have Liv and Jake as the true power brokers in Washington. Liv might actually want to get on board. She stays picking Fitz because her gut is for ish. Maybe going against her "instincts" will yield positive results.

Yep, because he think he can control them and so far, I agree with him. They play his game and act like they are playing their game, lol. My hope is for Rowan to screw over all of them, Fitz, Mellie, Jake, Cyrus, and Olivia.  At the end, the only one I want standing after the everything is said and done. is Rowan. Which is sad, because I don't even really like Rowan. But the others are such idiots, that I want them all to lose to Rowan.

• Love 6

I love Olivia Pope as a character and I love her as a professional, and I can never have too much of her in that capacity. But what I hope to never see again (but considering the writing on this show, it won't happen) is Olivia screwing Jake and/or Fitz. I could see one go around with each of them, but to have this nonstop never ending merry go round is so tiresome. I was very delighted when Olivia and Fitz broke up years ago, but that didn't take. I was fine with Jake the first time, and then she kept taking him back. And considering the terrible things both men have done and her experiences with both of them, I can't see why she would want to see either of them again. Here's hoping there will be no more Jake screwing, now that he has really screwed her over. As much as I am over Papa Pope these days, I have to hand it to them for their underhanded plot to gain NSA power. Now I hope Olivia destroys them all. 

• Love 5

Sally is a hoot.  So Liv realizes she misses The Power, gets locked out, so she's going for the next Probable Power, no?

Someone explain what is Cyrus doing?  Is he trying to help Red ?  Does he want to retire or play with Ella/  explain please.

• Love 2

That was a good nap. What a boring episode. I didn't care about any of the plots.

And how weird that Rowan considers Jake his son after ordering him to sleep with Liv. :/

Rowan is free and no one seems to care at all and then you have people like Jake working with him again.  :/.

I mean, I think the show is running out of ideas. Last season we ended on Fitz and Liv getting together after everything and getting their happily ever after, which obviously they couldn't really get because, hi, there was another season of the show. Then we got Liv and Fitz being an outright couple to the point where they let the world know that she was now the mistress turned girlfriend and then they did the winter cliffhanger with the abortion and the breakup..and here we are. And then all the stuff with Rowen finally being put in jail like the evil monster that he is and then last fall, he was let back out and now he's out and about There really isn't much left to do with these characters and stories. If Liv ends up with either Jake or Fitz, it would be a whole lot of, "she tried that before and it didn't work, she hated it". This show can't end on a happily ever after note at this point. We saw it and it wasn't good.

The problem I have and it's been occurring with a lot of my shows as of late is that  there seems to be a grace period of how many seasons/years a show can last before they need to start collectivity rewriting the characters and history and expecting viewers to have selective memory on certain aspects. That doesn't work anymore and nothing seems to be cohesive. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 13

I mean, I think the show is running out of ideas. Last season we ended on Fitz and Liv getting together after everything and getting their happily ever after, which obviously they couldn't really get because, hi, there was another season of the show. Then we got Liv and Fitz being an outright couple to the point where they let the world know that she was now the mistress turned girlfriend and then they did the winter cliffhanger with the abortion and the breakup..and here we are. And then all the stuff with Rowen finally being put in jail like the evil monster that he is and then last fall, he was let back out and now he's out and about There really isn't much left to do with these characters and stories. If Liv ends up with either Jake or Fitz, it would be a whole lot of, "she tried that before and it didn't work, she hated it". This show can't end on a happily ever after note at this point. We saw it and it wasn't good.

The problem I have and it's been occurring with a lot of my shows as of late is that  there seems to be a grace period of how many seasons/years a show can last before they need to start collectivity rewriting the characters and history and expecting viewers to have selective memory on certain aspects. That doesn't work anymore and nothing seems to be cohesive. 

ALL of this.  ^^^^

For me, after season 3 everything began going downhill.  Season 4....meh.  Couldn't get into it at all, and that made me mad and sad because I really, really liked and looked forward to my Thursday night TV shows.  So, I sat out the first half of season 5...tuning in tonight in hopes that there would be some improvement, a revival of sorts that would bring me back in.  

Nope.  It didn't happen.  Four minutes in and my eyes rolled back into my head.  I half muted, half watched it tonight.  Oh, well.  The thrill is gone.  I don't even want it to take up space in my DVR.  So..... I'll probably just peep in from time to time to see if anything has changed for the better.  Fingers crossed.

I have no clue what I just watched.

Liv back to sleeping with Jake.

Jake lying to Fitz about sleeping with Liv.

Liv casually having dinner with her father like he didn't murder a ton of people including Fitz's son.

Rowan and Jake as BFF's.

I have no idea how CHARLIE became one of the only characters I could tolerate.

So now Jake and Rowan are father and son, Jake's just going to go around killing people and I take it Liv is still going to sleep with him because she doesn't seem to care what Jake or her father does and then what?? I'm supposed to find her the heroine lead of this show?

I was really glad Fitz didn't take her call. She was the one who told the truth to the media. She was the one who aborted a child without telling him. She was the one who wanted out. Then she's going to call him up for favors? To hell with you, good for Fitz for not instantly giving in and running to her beck and call.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

Ugh, at the hate fucking.  I'm Team Jake instead of Team Fitz (at least as long as Team No One doesn't seem to be an option the show is willing to entertain), but that was stupid.  Not only is it pointless, but neither Scott Foley nor Kerry Washington does it particularly well. Major second-hand embarrassment.  

• Love 5

Yep.  I was pretty much over this show prior to the winter break, but this was my "do I continue watching or not" episode.  What a mess - it doesn't even make sense anymore.

I won't continue.  

• Love 1

Olivia truly has the worst taste in people.

That's because she kinda sucks as a person.  She and her "white hat" are corrupt.

From all the remarks, it is a good thing that I decided I was done with this show.

I was such a great show, then shitting writing, unbelievable plots and just general crap ran me off.

Another great show goes down the drain into the crap holder.

Since the show has just thrown in the towel on trying to have any kind of story logic or long-term memory about any plotline whatsoever (everybody's hanging out with Rowan again, WTF?), here are a few possible storylines for the next time the show returns from a break:

Mellie marries Rowan.

Huck is elected president.

Cyrus starts dating Liv.

Abby discovers that Fitz is her father.

Quinn, I dunno, joins the circus.

Jake maybe, hhmmmm, becomes a world famous chef?

Hey, why not?  If the storylines are going to be as random as they were last night, anything goes, right?

• Love 6

I don't get it...... didn't Liv spent last season trying to get rid of her father?  I think she tried to get him killed and then got him into jail for awhile.  I know Liv also helped free her father for the president's sake.  She hated Rowan so much because he is so Evil; and yet, here she is having a very amicable dinner with this sonofabitch!  Did I miss something???

I am liking Liv's wardrobe so far.  I love that red dress on her.  She looks like she's glowing.

So now Liv is messing with Jake again.  Ok, I kinda understand that.  Jake is really hot and very available.  What I don't understand is why Jake is back in Rowan's "house"?  Jake tried to get revenge on Rowan because Rowan got Jake's ex-wife killed and was angry and revenge filled for a long time.  Something changed.  I vaguely remembered that Jake went to Rowan's home to warn him of some sort of secret organization that wants to bring down Rowan and Jake's downfall.  And Rowan let him into the house!  Now Jake seems firmly allied with Rowan and even committed murder to get power as Rowan wanted.  What is going on here???  Hasn't Olivia and Jake learn by now that Rowan can't be trusted?

I wonder if Jake is using Rowan and later on will find a way to discard Rowan.  That would make sense to me.

Good for Fitz not answering Olivia's call.  Dude really needs to move on.  Fitz needs to find another wife and forget about Liv and stop putting so much pressure on Abby.

I like the idea of Liv and Mellie teaming up.  I wonder if this is Liv's way of getting back at Fitz, Jake and Rowan.

• Love 2

.............................so who on this fucking show am I supposed to cheer for again?

That is exactly what I thought at the end of this episode. Which of these characters am I supposed to be rooting for? And am I spending more time than the writers trying to understand the character's motivation? Because no one took any action in this episode that made sense as an actual human behavior.

I do like the idea that Olivia's main attraction to Fitz was the power it gave her. I love that they're doubling-down on Fitz being nothing but a useless empty vessel, because he is the absolute worst. And I like that Fitz didn't take Liv's call, even if that was ridiculously drawn out.

But apart from that, I have nothing but questions. Why are Liv & Jake hate-sexing? Doesn't he actually have feelings for her? And why was that scene both shocking and boring? Why are character's who've sworn to kill Rowan so many times just hanging out with him like NBD? Why is Olivia surprised at being lied to by both Jake and her father when both have proven extremely untrustworthy multiple times? Is the show trying to capture some of that hot, GoT-incest vibe by having Rowan refer to Jake as his son after we saw J. spend basically a full day boning Olivia, R.'s father?  Why would Cyrus, who called himself a  political monster like it was a good thing, accept a position where he wields no influence whatsoever? Shouldn't he be trying to scheme with Abby to get what he wants out of Fitz? Why isn't the show making better use of the foxy new OPA associate? Where is Leo? Why is Charlie the smartest person on the show? What happened with Susan Ross and her crush on David? Why don't we get to see any of the support from women Mellie surely won after her amazing filibuster? Does no one understand me and my entertainment needs?

• Love 5

So, Jake's background has been so scrubbed that he could get this appointment?  

I don't like any of them - which, for me, is a problem - having no one at all to care about as a character or root for - they are all awful humans - 

I gave it one last go and that was it.  Bored and worst, found it lazy writing.  She's like a cat toy between jake and fitz - and I don't care.

• Love 2

I liked Abby as the new "work wife", and her finally telling the President to leave her alone, unless he had to talk about something related to her work. 

Couldn't take Jake and Liv AGAIN. I rarely use the fast-forward button (I will mute speeches, at times, because they give me a headache), but I used it for the supposedly hot scenes. It's too messed up and co-dependent, and just freaking insane that these people would still be talking to each other, let alone doing anything like that.

And Jake with the murdering, again? Setting up a decent, trustworthy woman, as well, and stealing her job. f**k off, Jake. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Liv's red leather trench coat was magnificent.

It's the only thing I got out of the endless yelling/monologuing scenes and characters not gaf about Rowan for some reason.

• Love 1

On one hand this show is freaking terrible and they've reduced Liv from the kickass gladiator she was in s1 to an absolute idiot, especially with the men in her life (I mean she's on a break from Fitz so it's Jake's turn again?! Time to find some new dudes Liv) on the other Mellie and Liv on the same side is one of my favourite things on the show. The idea of the two of them working together to do something for themselves is enough to actually make me watch the next episode.

• Love 1

I was really glad Fitz didn't take her call. She was the one who told the truth to the media. She was the one who aborted a child without telling him. She was the one who wanted out. Then she's going to call him up for favors? To hell with you, good for Fitz for not instantly giving in and running to her beck and call.

How incredible was TG in that moment hey? The look on his face, like a hopeful child when he heard she was on the phone and the way he straightened himself as if readying for what he had to do. I don't even like Fitz and my heart broke for him in that moment. Helluva an actor that Goldwyn, the talent of the actors is the one thing you can always count on on this show,

Love the idea of Mellie and Liv working together, I've been hoping for this from the jump, screw Fitz (not literally) and work together. Speaking of Fitz, nice to see Abby being called by her name and getting some quality screentime as well. Those 2am phone calls were hysterical, poor woman and I could just picture Leo saying "I don't see you anyway." and storming out. He's so dramatic.

Edited by slayer2

I too smiled when Fitz refused to take Liv's call, just like I smiled when during the first half of this season Liv would try and talk to Jake about her problems with Fitz and Jake was pretty much like, "WTF are you on? We aren't besties! Bye" I loved that; he did that more than once.

• Love 3

Wow. I drifted away from this show last year a bit when the Papa Pope intrigue got to be so significant, and I picked it up at the winter finale. So I was a bit excited for this episode to see how much ass Liv was going to kick now that she broke free of the Oval Jail. Not at all what I got. For all of the reasons mentioned above, I was so puzzled. Hate sex with Jake? Ever speaking to her murderous, manipulative father again? Being surprised that said former-lover and awful dad schemed to kill and/or demonize a few innocent, capable people... that was the real kicker. The show sold me on a smart, beautiful, accomplished fixer. She is no where in sight.

Now, Liv and Mellie is something I would watch the hell out of... so work on that please, show.

Maybe they should say that this is all happening in a parallel universe. The show jumped the shark when Liv was kidnapped. I still love the cast but this is so stupid. They think that picking up 6 months later they can just make up new relationships and ignore the past. Didn't Liv just try to kill her father? Just about every character is a killer. Oh, and the new "normal" guy reminds me so much of Columbus Short.

Overall, it was enjoyable if confusing. I was playing solitaire so I thought I had missed some stuff. Lol finding out everyone else is also confused. Fitz is still an entitled putz. Glad the longing and olitz schmoopies are done, hopefully forever.

Why is Jake so pissed at Liv? Sure she let her dad out and got his wife killed but he's all tight with pops now. So why is he still mad, or was he faking? How is dad all out and about, didn't he escape from prison?

So confused.

And Olivia just casually having dinner with him? WTF was that about?

Oh good, it wasn't just me. I thought I had missed something. But yeah, I have no idea how/why that was happening. She seemed downright jovial with him.

• Love 1

During the diner with Daddy and Olivia, I thought it was a dream sequence, as if we were going to learn that he's (finally!) dead and she was dreaming about him. Then, realizing it was actually happenning, I thought I missed an episode. Reading here, I'm happy to see I'm not alone ! 

That was a sightly dull episode but I liked the reveal of Jake being the culprit and this exchange between Liv' and Mellie at the end : 

- It's very smart.
- Thank you.

- And well-written.
- I wrote it myself.

- And a total bore.
- There was a ghostwriter.

Bellamy Young delivery was awesome and really funny.

• Love 4

Hmmm..it sounds like the show should refocus on the friendships between OPA and finally put to bed the Fitz and olivia thing. 

The issue isn't Olivia and Fitz. The issue is Olivia, period. Like focusing on friendships, doesn't change why is she casually having a family dinner with Rowan? Why is she back to sleeping with Jake yet again, when she knows she doesn't love him and he knows she will always choose Fitz.

The redundant writing that makes no sense is the problem. There was lots of non relationship story they could tell with Fitz/Liv in the White House. Her work conflicting with White House/His work conflicting with her cases/Liv balancing etc.. instead they instantly broke them up and had Liv abort a sudden instababy. Now have reverted her back years ago to dining with her dad and sleeping with Jake. 

• Love 3

The issue isn't Olivia and Fitz. The issue is Olivia, period. Like focusing on friendships, doesn't change why is she casually having a family dinner with Rowan? Why is she back to sleeping with Jake yet again, when she knows she doesn't love him and he knows she will always choose Fitz.

The redundant writing that makes no sense is the problem. There was lots of non relationship story they could tell with Fitz/Liv in the White House. Her work conflicting with White House/His work conflicting with her cases/Liv balancing etc.. instead they instantly broke them up and had Liv abort a sudden instababy. Now have reverted her back years ago to dining with her dad and sleeping with Jake. 

Yeah, nothing makes sense but I do agree it is the writers fault. They really did show their hand at the finale last year, sort of. Giving Fitz and Liv their happily ever after and then this season, kind of taking it back. Just because. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Liv would be happy in the first wife role either that Fitz was laying out for her, but it seemed..sudden? I just remember the episode before, she was enjoying calling the shots and telling Fitz what to do and then the next episode, they have party guests asking her about cookie recipes and Liv has resting bitch face. I think having them deal with Liv being OPA and refusing to give that up would have been a story too, stories and cases within the white house too would have been good. That's where I thought they were going- the first episode of this season with that royal family, that Fitz didn't want to anger and accuse because of the navy ties he had with them- and then they didn't go there. That conflict would have been good.

Instead, we really are back to years ago. Jake will always be in love with Liv, even though he knows she won't love him like that and that she will always want Fitz. He made quite a speech about it, I don't know why he would settle for second best at this point. As I said, most of my favorite moments from this season were when he was shutting her down because she was having problems with all the Fitz stuff and he was telling her that he isn't here for that, so I..don't know what's going on?

And all the Rowen stuff is flabbergasting. The last time Liv and Rowen sat down for a meal, she was trying to set him up to be killed during dinner and all these soldiers got killed. But hey, daddy-daughter dinner time, I guess. I don't know what the hell I'm watching either.

It's like all the characters got eternal sunshine'd  during the six months gap between episodes.

• Love 1

Not going to read any other comments yet because i just started watching the episode. But i'm not liking the opening scenes. First she's social with her father again as if nothing had happened. then that thing with jake. she says go he won't go suddenly they're kissing. then he bounces her off a few walls as they head for the bedroom. that didn't look at all like passion, looked more like real violence, like a rape fantasy, like maybe she wants to be assaulted. of course, when huck appears with a new client, she switches gears and asserts herself for real. again she's being presented as only showing autonomy when it's business. this is disturbing.

Edited by dr pepper

Ok, finally saw the whole episode. oh goody, there's no need to revive b613, just take over the NSA. Now rowan's operations have the benefit of the dubious legitimacy of america's *official* murder and surveillance crew. And Jake is now fully committed. we can no longer comfort ourselves with the thought that somehow, inside, he's still a good guy. and hey, why try to stand in the sun when lurking in the shade is so much more rewarding?

bonus: jake gets to be the number one white boy rowan wants inside his daughter, while said daughter welcomes him, in between episodes of outrage.

and don't forget those really great home cooked dinners.

• Love 1

Wow. I didn't think this show could get more ridiculous, but last night proved me wrong,for all the reasons mentioned.

OTOH, score one for Liv and Mellie working together. I've been hoping for this for years, and Liv obviously owes her one.

Jake lying to Fitz about sleeping with Liv.

Jake didn't lie to Fitz. Fitz asked if Jake had spoken to Olivia. The strictly sexual relationship they seem to be sharing does not involve talking, so Jake was honest when stating he wasn't speaking with Olivia.

So now Liv is messing with Jake again.  Ok, I kinda understand that.  Jake is really hot and very available.  What I don't understand is why Jake is back in Rowan's "house"?  Jake tried to get revenge on Rowan because Rowan got Jake's ex-wife killed and was angry and revenge filled for a long time.  Something changed.  I vaguely remembered that Jake went to Rowan's home to warn him of some sort of secret organization that wants to bring down Rowan and Jake's downfall.  And Rowan let him into the house!  Now Jake seems firmly allied with Rowan and even committed murder to get power as Rowan wanted.  What is going on here???  Hasn't Olivia and Jake learn by now that Rowan can't be trusted?

I wonder if Jake is using Rowan and later on will find a way to discard Rowan.  That would make sense to me.

I think the poorly orchestrated story with worse things happening in the world in Towan's absence was supposed to explain Jake's return to the fold. Even when they were trying to kill each other, Rowan always told Jake (and Olivia ) that regardless of how awful they thought he was, he was actually the best thing going in the behind the scenes power world they live in. Having realized that Rowan is the "good guy" in this topsy-turvey world brought Jake back. Plus, contrary to what Jake thought, it was revealed Rowan was not behind the pointless ex-wife death, it was the true bad guys.

I think it's possible that Jake is playing everyone including Rowan and that when all is said and done, Jake will be the last man standing.

I am Team-Jake, but unless Oliva gets over her misguided obsession that she thinks is love of Putz, Jake will always remain to good for Oliva Pope.

• Love 2

Jake didn't lie to Fitz. Fitz asked if Jake had spoken to Olivia. The strictly sexual relationship they seem to be sharing does not involve talking, so Jake was honest when stating he wasn't speaking with Olivia.

That's a ridiculous go around.  Jake lied right to Fitz's face. He's been seeing her, interacting with her, and even if to say "get out of my apartment' which she did say at some point in the episode. That's Jake talking to her. 

Jake knew what Fitz was asking. Jake's not stupid and he lied because he wouldn't suit his own agenda.

• Love 2