Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Airing on Showtime on 17 January 2016, but will be available for viewing before in a variety of means; YouTube, OnDemand, Hulu, iTunes, and more. Please note; entering this topic may subject you to spoilers before the airdate.

Chuck Rhoades, the powerful U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, is tipped to a case of insider trading with links to Axe Capital and the billionaire hedge fund king Bobby “Axe” Axelrod. This sets Chuck on a collision course with one of the most powerful men on Wall Street. While it could be a career-defining case for Chuck, he must tread carefully, because his wife, Wendy Rhoades, is the in-house performance coach at Axe Capital and Axe’s key confidante. But a costly purchase by Axe gives Chuck the opening he needs, setting off a cat and mouse game where the stakes are high and intensely personal.

• Love 1

I like the cast, but I was bored through this. It felt so, so long.

I appreciate The Big Short even more now that I've seen how dull all the financial stuff in this feels. The one scene where Giamatti and Lewis interacted was good at least.

The supporting cast, especially Maggie Siff and Malin Ackerman, feel completely wasted too.

Another part of my hesitation is that this is Showtime. If the show is a success, there's no way Lewis's character will be going to prison until at least several seasons in. They'll keep finding dumb ways to drag it out.

• Love 4

I don't like to grade a pilot ep of any show because they are setting up the characters and plot. The only thing I'll say is whether I'm in for the next episode and from what I saw I'll watch another. It was slow paced and when it first started I had to replay conversations to make sure I wasn't missing anything important, mostly just trying to catch characters names.

Midway through the ep I was wondering if the US Attorney was cheating on his wife (the don't leave a mark dialogue) or if that was them with the kinky sex in the beginning and just role playing. Happy that by the end it is revealed and not a continuous mystery. I guess we are going to see this play out by contrasting the roles they play in the bedroom vs. in their marriage vs. their professional lives.

Damian Lewis has always creeped me out as an actor. The first role I saw him in was the Dreamcatcher movie back in 03 (Steven King alien flick) and his mannerisms in that has never left me plus just his ticks as a person I find distracting. I skipped out on watching Homeland partly because he had a leading role in it lol. I watched this despite that because I like financial/wall street/fraud type movies. I think the Lewis character can go to jail without derailing the show, they just need to setup the US Attorney with more than one criminal foe. I don't look at this as... IF he will get caught but how.

The financial company that lost lots of employees on 9/11 bit reminded me of Cantor Fitzgerald and how the CEO pledged to help out the families of their lost employees (close to 70% perished) and how he was villainized by the media for not acting fast enough (for them). There is a great documentary called Out of the Clear Blue Sky which follows the company and families over many years to show what happens to them (

he kept his promise and more

). It's probably one of the only company/business based 9/11 documentaries out there (that I know of).

I watched this on yahoo...don't know what might have been cut/censored besides language...I might take a look on one of the other sites.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 1

I liked the pilot.

There's a stacked cast of character actors, here, and the pilot did its job in making me want to see where all of this exposition leads.

I found Malin Akerman unconvincing as a girl from Staten Island. The character I'm most interested in is Maggie Siff's

• Love 3

I liked it  lot more than I thought I would.  Overall, I thought it was well-acted and well-written.  I don't know how realistic it all is, but I was interested in almost all of it.  I was creeped out by Bobby's family dynamics and the way they treated their puppy, and I thought the way the episode book-ended Paul G.'s sexual interludes produced a ton of character development. 

• Love 3

I watched this just because of Damian Lewis but I didn't think I'd like the subject matter.  I was pleasantly
surprised that I enjoyed the story even though I don't understand all of the financial details.  As long as they stay focused
mostly on the characters, I'm going to keep watching.

One thing I really didn't understand is why the buying the beach house would be such a big deal and make the front
pages.  Donald Trump owns 4or 5 expensive homes, and I don't see that being touted as proof that he isn't
a "regular guy".  LOL

• Love 1

When I heard her say Inwood, I actually thought she was referring to the one in Manhattan, which would make a bit more sense from a "tough girl" perspective, but didn't really make sense from the rest of the conversation about taking the train. maybe the writers have no idea what they're talking about and are confusing the two?

• Love 3

Looks interesting and I'll watch the season. The big negative for me is I'm not a big fan of Damian Lewis. I guess I disliked him right away on Homeland and grew to dislike him more. But maybe I'll get used to it. I like Paul Giamatti and he makes it worth the price of admission, but I can't get over that opening scene and now he's diminished and someone I can't relate to in the least. Still looks to be a good show.

And Gale is there (from Breaking Bad). Excellent!

Edited by riverclown
  • Love 1

Oh man this show was bad. The writing was appalling, and I kept wondering how they got such a good cast to sign onto this mess. Even Damien Lewis, whom I have never cared for as an actor and think was all wrong for the part anyway, is a big enough star to turn down such a terrible script. I felt bad for them having to deliver those lines. My husband was so excited for this show, which definitely falls in his wheelhouse, could not stop talking about how terrible it was.

• Love 2

When I heard her say Inwood, I actually thought she was referring to the one in Manhattan, which would make a bit more sense from a "tough girl" perspective, but didn't really make sense from the rest of the conversation about taking the train. maybe the writers have no idea what they're talking about and are confusing the two?

Yeah, that was distracting. The character had to be referring to Inwood in Manhattan, where from what I understand crime has decreased over the past few years.

I'm hoping the quality of the pilot was due to clunky character introductions and the show's creators trying to find their footing. I think Ackerman is completely miscast in her role. And I wish Maggie Siff would land a show where her character makes sense and doesn't trail behind the douche canoe male lead.

• Love 2

I watched this just because of Damian Lewis but I didn't think I'd like the subject matter. I was pleasantly

surprised that I enjoyed the story even though I don't understand all of the financial details. As long as they stay focused

mostly on the characters, I'm going to keep watching.

One thing I really didn't understand is why the buying the beach house would be such a big deal and make the front

pages. Donald Trump owns 4or 5 expensive homes, and I don't see that being touted as proof that he isn't

a "regular guy". LOL

This could pretty much be my post, except I'm not sure I would use the word "enjoyed," and I totally get wanting to have a house on the beach. Maybe in the series finale it will get symbolically swept away.

The buying and selling and shorting just goes over my head too much for me to "enjoy" it. I don't mind not knowing if Axelrod is doing illegal insider trading; I mind that I wouldn't know it if the audience is supposed to know it.

I loved Damian Lewis in Life and was glad to see him having a role here closer to that one than what he had on Homeland (which I stopped watching after he was killed off).

I can appreciate that the kinky sex contributed to the character development, but I could have done without it as well as the symbolically graphic shot of the pet dog with his balls cut.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Horrible. I couldn't even keep it on. I know real life US attorneys and this was absolutely preposterous. I hate the way the media likes to portray such things and this is just everything I hate, that isn't true, all balled up into one lame package. Seemed like Chris Christie's wet dream. Note to the media.. I am tired of watching rich people fight with each other. This isn't the 1980s. We hate rich people now. See Mr. Robot.

• Love 5

I was wary when the pilot opened with a sexual scene, which is a cliched and cheesy trick to grab viewers, and, sure enough, the rest of the ep was just as disappointing. I love Giamatti but the writing was too predictable. It was obvious before each reveal that Siff was Giamatti's wife, that she was the dominatrix, that the old dude would commit suicide, that Lewis would buy the house, etc. Plus, apart from Giamatti, most of the acting felt stiff and over-rehearsed. I'll try one more ep before I bail.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2

Who are we supposed to be rooting for here?

Damian Lewis? Hedge fund guys were/are synonymous with shady, shady deals on a good day.

Paul Giamatti ? Big government guy who thinks he's playing by the rules but is just as underhanded as Axelrod? I'm calling it now that his right hand man is not all that he seems.

I don't like either one of them or the wives so this might be a short one for me.

But I do like that weird Stan Laurel face Damien does when he's trying to be sincere or villainous.

Did they put eye makeup on Lewis to make him seem younger?

As for believability, presumably Sorkin knows a lot of real cases but the other show runners may have more influence to "punch up" the story lines.

Yeah it would have more credibility if they either convict Axelrod or has him acquitted after one season. But how many blowhard hedge fund managers could they have. And besides, Lewis is suppose to be the big star here.

So maybe he gets convicted and goes to country club prison from which he continues to commit insider trading and other crimes. That way, the Giomatti character keeps his perfect record but they don't really defeat Axelrod.

Awful - worse, dull. 

I really don't like when I can see everyone acting.  And, over-acting in this case.  With lousy, dumbed down dialogue.  

The scene that really struck me as badly written and directed right from the start almost was the scene in the boardroom when he makes his speech about 9/11 - I cringed at the cheesy dialogue and bad acting.  

Personally, I think they would have made for a more (possibly) interesting direction with the story had he not bought the house; buying it made it all so - pedestrian and obvious.  

I will watch one more time - see if they shook any of the cobwebs free - and then decide.  

What a dull piece of crap - the opening scene had me rolling my eyes and the financial stuff had me fighting off sleep.  Cliche after cliche after cliche.  This is a talented bunch of actors who deserve much better material than this snore-fest.  Particularly hated the Lewis/Ackerman home scenes and the inane "shrink" scene with Siff pumping up a sad-sack employee with lame motivational speaker-speak.  I tuned in to see the actors since high finance and the problems of the uber-rich are all recycled and tiresome, but I don't think even the best acting in the world could save this from being 'I'll never need an Ambien again' material.  Won't bother to stick around for second episode.

President John Adams plays against MAJ Dick Winters. How can I say no? However, this kind of story ought to be a mini-series. One season, that is it. By whatever reason Axelrod is caught in the most dramatic way on the finale, everybody is happy. What I can not see myself following though, if the story becomes multiple arcs of cat-and-mouse game, spanning multiple seasons. And since it is labelled as a series, not mini-series, I am afraid that it will be the case.

I was wondering this too... or an eye job?  Something about his face was distracting me.

Agree with those not buying Akermann in her role. Can't tell if it's the writing or the acting, or both.

was it just my tv or did most of the characters wear blue outfits in the pilot? Seriously because I hope I am not having another issue with my new tv...

I've started noticing this on numerous shows. There won't be so much regular blue as there are dark teal, gray-blue, light aqua...I think set designers and wardrobe folks must think they look good on-screen and are flattering to most actors.

I also would like to know the significance of the beach house purchase. All I could figure was that paying cash for the place signals financial shenanigans at Axe Capital. But they made this plot point terribly murky (at least to this non-financial viewer).

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the pilot.  Perhaps I'm biased because I would watch Paul Giamati read the phone book!  He's just such a compelling actor in whatever role he plays. But I wasn't bored at all--in fact the time flew by for me.  And I didn't think the dialogue was bad, either.  I mean, even if some of the lines were a bit clichéd, it still rang as more authentic dialogue than most of the dramas I attempt to watch on primetime TV. 

I really like Damien Lewis and Maggie Siff, too. So yeah, I'm in for the season.

However - purely from an aesthetical standpoint - I couldn't help but think that Maggie has really been "downgraded" in her TV romance partners. From Don Draper (mmmm) to Jax Teller (yes please) to... Chuck.

QuoteQuote

I didn't notice him looking younger.  He looks the same to me as he appeared on Homeland.  In fact as I was watching him I was thinking that a female actress with those "parentheses" around her mouth would have probably been forced to botox the shit out of herself in order to land roles.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 3

Actually in some of the close up shots, Lewis looks much older than in Homeland, especially around the eyes.  Despite the eye makeup, they can't hide all the wrinkles around them.

They explained what buying the mansion represented.  Axe is suppose to be this populist billionaire, because he helped the families of partners who died on 9/11.  But buying a big mansion shows he's just another asshole billionaire so prosecuting him is less likely to stir public outcry.  That's why Giamatti tried to bait Axe into buying, by telling his underling whose professor works for Axe to warn him that it would not be a wise decision.

Something about his face was distracting me.

For me, it's Damien's eyebrows--wrong red.  It's so difficult to keep a consistent "red" for hair (head and facial).  I'm hoping the eyebrows will fade a little or someone will choose a different color.  In a couple of shots, white eyebrows were peeking.

While we're on the non-plot related questions: how in the heck did they decide that Deborah Rush should play Chuck Jr's mother?!  She's only 13 years older than Paul Giamatti.  At least Jeffrey DeMunn is 20 years older than Giamatti.

Actually in some of the close up shots, Lewis looks much older than in Homeland, especially around the eyes.  Despite the eye makeup, they can't hide all the wrinkles around them.

I do not think he looks "much" older than he did as Brody. But we can agree to disagree on the matter.  

• Love 1

I didn't notice him looking younger.  He looks the same to me as he appeared on Homeland.  In fact as I was watching him I was thinking that a female actress with those "parentheses" around her mouth would have probably been forced to botox the shit out of herself in order to land roles.

I thought all through Homeland that he looks exactly like Curious George.  And still think so.

For the most part I liked it--I find myself drawn to any attempt to dramatize the byzantine world of high finance (I loved Too Big to Fail as well, and the book was fantastic. I even liked this dismal musical flop thereof). Loved seeing Maggie Siff again and I'll watch Paul Giamatti in anything. However I disliked Bobby's wife--not so much the character as what they did with her. Maggie Siff was active, had agency and a separate identity. All Bobby's wife can do is coo over the children and bristle protectively on behalf of her husband? Ugh. HATED the scene where she threatened the disgruntled woman, it make me curl up in disgust over her.  Honey, your husband is a billionaire, he can stand a little pushback (as indeed he did, very gracefully). Don't be so thin-skinned. And show-runners, that shouldn't be our introduction to what should be a major female character.

Also--well, this is going to sound shallow but whenever I see actors like Damian Lewis I marvel at how, frankly, unattractive a man can be and still be considered a viable male lead, still chosen to headline a series. Benedict Cumberbatch and James Gandalfino are other examples. Women just are not offered those opportunities in the industry. (I guess Paul Giamatti falls into that category as well--I'm letting him off the hook somewhat because I've seen him in a lot and he is truly a great actor with a lot of range. All I know of Lewis and Cumberbatch is what they look like--I don't know as much about their careers.) It angers me, frankly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

unattractive is in the eye of the beholder, actually...

I find Damian Lewis very attractive.  There's something very charismatic about him for me.  YYMV obviously.  I started watching this for him.  I keep seeing little bits of Charlie Crews creeping into his mannerisms and I like it.

• Love 1

I am fairly certain that Lara is referring to the Inwood at the tip of Manhattan that used to have a very Irish population and still does a bit, yet now has more of a Hispanic population, mostly Dominican. It still does have an insular feel to it of working class families and it still does have working class Irish pockets. That makes sense as where she is from as opposed to Inwood in Nassau County, Long Island. I don't recall them ever referencing Staten Island and that does not really make sense with what they have shown of her and she would have a stronger more stereotypical NY accent (ever see Mob Wives? Jk) that people think everyone from NY has... but it really depends where you are from and where your parents are from, I suppose.

Inwood is the northern most tip of Manhattan and it is a long subway (train ride) to get anywhere! It is very close to a section of The Bronx, separated by a narrow part of the Harlem River and over time, many working class Irish have followed other traditional migrating patterns that occur over time in the history of NYC, and have migrated out of Manhattan in to the Bronx and suburbs. Axe is supposed to be from The Bronx, correct? That makes sense as Axe and Lara are both working class city kids who didn't have anything easy growing up, yet both have strong family values and connections to the insular type "neighborhoods" where they are from that helped shape who they are as people. Both Axe and Lara are quite driven, in different ways, yet both are fiercely loyal and seem to view this quality or viscerally understand that loyalty is more important and valuable than anything that can be bought. They seem to know how rare it is in the world that they function in and they will fiercely protect their own and are generous in helping those they know and love. Yet, if loyalty or trust is ever breached, it can't be earned back and you will never get close enough to hurt them again. I think this is part of why Axe is so loyal to Lara.

I find these 2 characters quite compelling as they have moved through such great socio-economic status in their adult life to become billionaire's (is that accurate or just the name of the show?). Yet Axe values his old friends and Lara her family. They move in these circles, yet are quite obviously new money, which does not necessarily get you entreé to Society and this is alluded to by others, at times. However, I don't think either cares or would even want that. Their children, however, will likely naturally be part of that Society.

It is interesting to watch the socioeconomic status issues play out as a background dynamic, almost as its own character or subplot. Paul Giamatti's character has a lot of issues regarding his own upbringing and privilege and need to prove something. I believe part of why he hates Axe so much is that he is so successful and doesn't belong, in Giamatti's mind, which makes him a thug to be squashed so that Giamatti's can feel bette about himself. Plus his daddy issues and all that.

ETA: demographic source https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inwood,_Manhattan

Edited by Luckylondon
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am fairly certain that Lara is referring to the Inwood at the tip of Manhattan that used to have a very Irish population and still does a bit, yet now has more of a Hispanic population, mostly Dominican. It still does have an insular feel to it of working class families and it still does have working class Irish pockets. That makes sense as where she is from as opposed to Inwood in Nassau County, Long Island. I don't recall them ever referencing Staten Island and that does not really make sense with what they have shown of her and she would have a stronger more stereotypical NY accent (ever see Mob Wives? Jk) that people think everyone from NY has... but it really depends where you are from and where your parents are from, I suppose.

Inwood is the northern most tip of Manhattan and it is a long subway (train ride) to get anywhere! It is very close to a section of The Bronx, separated by a narrow part of the Harlem River and over time, many working class Irish have followed other traditional migrating patterns that occur over time in the history of NYC, and have migrated out of Manhattan in to the Bronx and suburbs. Axe is supposed to be from The Bronx, correct? That makes sense as Axe and Lara are both working class city kids who didn't have anything easy growing up, yet both have strong family values and connections to the insular type "neighborhoods" where they are from that helped shape who they are as people. Both Axe and Lara are quite driven, in different ways, yet both are fiercely loyal and seem to view this quality or viscerally understand that loyalty is more important and valuable than anything that can be bought. They seem to know how rare it is in the world that they function in and they will fiercely protect their own and are generous in helping those they know and love. Yet, if loyalty or trust is ever breached, it can't be earned back and you will never get close enough to hurt them again. I think this is part of why Axe is so loyal to Lara.

ETA: demographic source https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inwood,_Manhattan

I had to quote myself as the post would not let me edit weeks later. After watching more episodes (9?), I want to amend my post that it is likely that when Lara talks about the "old neighborhood" she is likely talking about Inwood, a town on Long Island-- not the one in Manhattan. It is in Nassau County and is just on the border of Queens and fits with the story and geography that we are shown. "Joy ride in the Fiero" and "steal earrings at the mall", etc. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inwood,_New_York Edited by Luckylondon

Speaking of tips, why do they show that shot of Lower Manhattan at the beginning of the show?

Real short title sequence.

I know that's where the financial industry is but Axe Capital is located in the woods somewhere -- Connecticut?

Government buildings are downtown too. By the By the Brooklyn Bridge... kind of. Not as far down as the financial district.

I don't know if Axe Capital is in CT, Westchester, or Long Island. It is hard to tell. But millions commute in to the city from those places, so a reverse commute or setting up in Westchester, CT or Long Island is not too strange and certainly makes for a nicer office building for us to look at.

I'm fairly certain that Axe Capital is in Westport, CT. Wendy's commute must be a bitch. And I wonder if they take a boat or a chopper to the Hamptons house -- that's another not very convenient location.