Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: News, Photos and More

• Start Topic

Also, let's be real. While there are few characters who seem to be as despised as Liz, a lot of the characters--most of them, even--are unpopular with a significant section of the fandom: Kirk is unfunny and supremely irritating, Luke is an ambulatory ball of hateful negativity who sucks at relationships and isn't all that hot if we're being honest, Lane takes advantage of her mother's generosity while whining about how hard done by she is, Lane's mother is a controlling abuser, Lorelai is a rude, judgmental, self-centered asshole who thinks she's charming and adorable, Emily is a manipulative, classist witch and an irredeemable monster, Richard is a shitty husband and a terrible father, Paris is a nasty, insufferable bitch, Rory is a spoiled, selfish princess, Dean is a jealous control freak, Jess is an obnoxious little shit at best and an abuser at worst, Logan is a good-for-nothing, privileged douchebag, Christopher is a deadbeat dad par excellence and a garbage human being, April is completely unnecessary and annoying as shit, etc. etc. However, I doubt that has influenced ASP's writing choices.

Wow. 

• Love 1
I think a lot of fans loved the whole package, and appreciated almost every single person in the cast, and were hoping to drop back into that world with the revival while ASP thinks it's specifically her writing and her favorite characters that people respond to. And I can absolutely picture ASP thinking/saying, "I don't care if so-and-so or so-and-so is on the show now. It's MY show and MY writing!" without realizing that the secondary or tertiary characters were, in fact, more beloved in some cases, than her leads.

I think a lot of people DID love the whole package. But I think the biggest draws of Gilmore Girls were things like the mother-daughter relationships, the witty dialogue, the tone and feel of the show. I mean people liked those tertiary characters, but I don't know if those characters are deal-breakers for the majority of fans. I loved Sookie but the lack of Sookie in the Netflix episodes won't stop me from watching them. 

And the thing is, it IS Amy's show and these ARE her characters. She was never about writing for what's popular or trying to be fan-friendly anyway. And now she's writing for a format that doesn't rely on ratings so much, a format where she's pretty free to do anything she wants. I don't think Netflix is going to tell her, "Well, now Rory has to get married," the way the WB told her that Rory had to lose her virginity at the end of season four. 

• Love 2
She's often in roles as the sweet, funny and generous best friend, and probably been relegated to cheerful IRL, as is almost always the case with anyone in entertainment who is overweight. But that's no reason to think she's the selfless-friend-of-Lorelai type in actuality, and she's not in the position of needing to be grateful for ASP's interest if she really didn't/isn't feeling it. To me, MM comes across as very grounded and genuinely hilarious, but other than that, who knows?

I listened to an interview that Lauren did on the Nerdist podcast, and she said that when she saw Bridesmaids she actually felt a little sad because only then did she truly realize that MM had never been able to show her true talent on GG (or something like that). After hearing her comments, I wondered if MM would view the revival as regressing back to a place where she wasn't artistically happy. However, after her tweet yesterday I just don't know what to think!

• Love 1
After hearing her comments, I wondered if MM would view the revival as regressing back to a place where she wasn't artistically happy.

Well, I can't imagine she'd be all that thrilled to return to being a supporting player for the main characters. 

And the thing is, it IS Amy's show and these ARE her characters. She was never about writing for what's popular or trying to be fan-friendly anyway. And now she's writing for a format that doesn't rely on ratings so much, a format where she's pretty free to do anything she wants. I don't think Netflix is going to tell her, "Well, now Rory has to get married," the way the WB told her that Rory had to lose her virginity at the end of season four.

I think that's the most important thing.  It is her show, and even the minor characters are "her" characters.  Ultimately, if the revival is terrible, she's going to be the one who takes the blame, so I presume she keeps that in mind when writing these things. 

• Love 1

To be clear, I was talking about the negative perceptions among the fans regarding these characters, not necessarily my own.

Well... that good. 'Cause I would seriously have to question a person who labels Jess as 'abusive' but not Dean. 

Anyway! I hope we start getting some behind-the-scenes stuff soon. I don't want anything too spoiler-y, but some pics of the cast would be nice.

Anyway! I hope we start getting some behind-the-scenes stuff soon. I don't want anything too spoiler-y, but some pics of the cast would be nice.

SP tweeted a picture of Bert the Toolbox. Does that count?

Well... that good. 'Cause I would seriously have to question a person who labels Jess as 'abusive' but not Dean. 

Outside of the official channels for scoop like TV Line, E Online, Hollywood Reporter, etc. etc., your best bet for pics and such would be in the #gilmoregirls tag on Instagram or at Tumblr user Alyssinmymind under the Gilmore Girls tag. Be warned, though; you might stumble across some pretty spoilery stuff on Tumblr. There are some mild spoilers floating around already since two casting notes were leaked. (There might be more casting notes, but two were leaked.) The contents of those casting notes are in the Spoilers thread on this board.

I expect we won't be left guessing as to which of Rory's exes will be coming back, if any. That will probably be the next bit of news that will hit. (I don't have any inside information, I'm just guessing.)

Thanks to Alexis Bledel's appearance at the SAG awards, we have a pretty good idea of what her hair will look like in the revival. It's a nice colour...a bit more red in it than she used to have, I think.

Aaaand Kathleen Wilhoite deleted the offending tweet. Drama!

Edited by Eyes High

In all of this hoopla I figured out today that Melissa McCarthy is STILL on Mike & Molly.  It's in its last season but it's STILL airing.  With still being on that kind of show, she can't really consider herself too big for this Netflix reunion, so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

In all of this hoopla I figured out today that Melissa McCarthy is STILL on Mike & Molly.  It's in its last season but it's STILL airing.  With still being on that kind of show, she can't really consider herself too big for this Netflix reunion, so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I think though she signed a 6 year deal with CBS to do the show, and during the run of the show is when she did Bridesmaids which was a huge hit and then it all steamrolled from there. So I don't think she had a choice to do the show or not do the show, even if she wanted out of it. Which it seems to me that she really enjoyed doing the show. 

Edited by SiobhanJW

Well, unless you believe Melissa just constantly lies to her fans on social media - which, is her right if she wanted to (again I personally give her the benefit of the doubt) - she very publicly on her Twitter said the following:

Melissa McCarthy ‏@melissamccarthy  14 Dec 2015
I was shocked and heartbroken when @CBS canceled #MikeAndMolly. I would have shot this show for 50 more years. I'll miss my 2nd family.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I listened to an interview that Lauren did on the Nerdist podcast, and she said that when she saw Bridesmaids she actually felt a little sad because only then did she truly realize that MM had never been able to show her true talent on GG (or something like that). After hearing her comments, I wondered if MM would view the revival as regressing back to a place where she wasn't artistically happy. However, after her tweet yesterday I just don't know what to think!

That's one of the interviews I was thinking of, though I thought that she had seen her doing improv during the GG years, but my brain is on the fritz this week and Bridesmaids makes more sense. In one of the recent GGuys podcasts, Demi mentions talking to Chris Hardwick about MM and I think he said that Chris had met her when she was working on Singled Out, and I think he went to Melissa and said, you should be the one heading a show!

Update: Kathleen discussed this on her podcast back in December. You can listen here (should start around 27:20)

Thanks to emilydoesthething for finding this!

Yowsers, she kind of sounds like Liz on a really bad day at the Renaissance fair... was not expecting that. She's forever stuck in my mind from playing Sherry Stringfield/Susan's sister Chloe on ER, where she was a drugged up mom who abandoned her kid for Susan to take care of so I figured she may have been typecast when she showed up as Jess' fleeing mom. I'm curious about where her story will go since ASP liked the TJ actor enough to put him in Bunheads, so I won't be surprised if he makes an appearance in SH.

However, honestly, I don't think going black to playing Sookie, even just for a cameo, would be regressive.

I don't think anyone on any side has said that MM had to "go black" to play Sookie again:)

ETA:  I hope you can forgive my giggles over a typo.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

It probably didn't help that at least in season 7 MM dropped behind SP in the opening credits. His character did have more of a storyline than hers did at that point, but both of those situations could have caused MM hard feelings.

Sookie was ditzy and weird, but she was never made fun of. In a way, it would be a step up from her current roles.

This is one of the things I loved about GG. Sookie might by ditzy at times but I loved that her weight was never once either a plot point or the butt of a joke. She wasn't Lorelei's "fat best friend" she was Lorelei's best friend. I would love to see how Sookie and her family are doing, but I wouldn't base my decision to watch on whether or not she was there.

• Love 3

Ugh. I wasn't sure I should watch the revival (I really hated the last two seasons, some of the characters were ruined for me), and seeing Logan as a major character is definitely not a welcome news. Hope he won't get back with Rory.

• Love 3

I'm not sure how I feel about Logan being back. I was kind of hoping he wouldn't be in it. While I didn't hate his character, I don't see his reason for being there after so long. Unless he is still with her, which I hope not.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

Ugh. I wasn't sure I should watch the revival (I really hated the last two seasons, some of the characters were ruined for me), and seeing Logan as a major character is definitely not a welcome news. Hope he won't get back with Rory.

I really don't think he'll be a major character. He'll probably only appear in one episode.

• Love 2

Count me as delighted Matt Czuchry will be back as Logan!  Can't wait to see where he fits in the story.

He was by far Rory's best boyfriend and the ending they got never made sense with how they had developed as a couple .

• Love 3

Updated list...

Confirmed: Lorelai, Luke, Rory, Emily, Paris, Lane, Michel, Gypsy, Miss Patty, Kirk, Christopher, Finn, Logan
Most Likely Out: Sookie, Liz

No Confirmation/News/Unknown: Jess, Doyle, Dean, April, Anna, Gigi, TJ, Colin, Babette, Taylor, Jackson, Andrew, Troubadour [basically everyone else]

I'm happy to hear Logan will be back. I hope Dean is the boyfriend that doesn't return (if there is one).

If they do Richard's funeral, they should bring back Marion Ross as Marilyn! Loved her. Also I'd like to see Alex Borstein back, she doesn't have to play Drella or Miss Celine, maybe a new character again.

I'm happy to hear Logan will be back. I hope Dean is the boyfriend that doesn't return (if there is one).

Agreed. If they do manage to snag Jared (which doesn't seem likely for some reason), I hope Dean has grown up. And I sincerely hope no one refers to him as "The Perfect Boyfriend" in the revival. Ugh.

Beyond that, I'm not really interested in the boyfriend debate. It's tedious and unfair at this point.

Agreed. If they do manage to snag Jared (which doesn't seem likely for some reason), I hope Dean has grown up. And I sincerely hope no one refers to him as "The Perfect Boyfriend" in the revival. Ugh.

Beyond that, I'm not really interested in the boyfriend debate. It's tedious and unfair at this point.

It will be odd to me if he's not in it though, because he was so enthusiastic at the panel and in the interview that went up the day before. He really seems to genuinely love the show, Amy/Dan, and the rest of the cast so I could picture him doing it for a very small amount of money if asked. So unless The CW isn't willing to let him have some time off from Supernatural (even though it's the same studio), my intuition says Jared will be back.

I need that Milo confirmation ASAP, though. 

• Love 3

So unless The CW isn't willing to let him have some time off from Supernatural (even though it's the same studio), my intuition says Jared will be back.

The only thing that I can think of that would hinder Jared from coming back is that his convention schedule may conflict with filming. I know that once Supernatural wraps, they usually go overseas for about a month or so, and one of the last ones is within a week of the season finales. So if he is already committed to those, he may not be able to fit in GG. :(

I wouldn't mind Dean coming back, but I hope Logan and him are only dropping in, so to speak, on Rory's lives. Maybe just have both of them catching up with her at different times, reminiscing, and joking about how "old" they've gotten. I hope Dean gets a somewhat better ending then what he got in the original run, which I know bothered Jared as well.

I'm also interested to see where Logan is at in his life. I'm kind of hoping they surprise us some how with him--maybe he veered off into a direction that would be hard to see coming.

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 1

This is one of the things I loved about GG. Sookie might by ditzy at times but I loved that her weight was never once either a plot point or the butt of a joke. She wasn't Lorelei's "fat best friend" she was Lorelei's best friend. I would love to see how Sookie and her family are doing, but I wouldn't base my decision to watch on whether or not she was there.

Yes, this, 1,000 times.  And the way wardrobe dressed Sookie was attractive.  I especially loved the outfit she was wearing in Tisket when Jackson finally proposed.  As far as the current Sookie story line, I'm hoping Jackson talks a couple of octaves higher if she stayed married to him at all after the non-vasectomy and that third baby.  

Meh about Logan's return.  Really wanting to see that Milo is coming back, though.  He's said he wants to, so come on, Show.  

I hope they let SP be bald in the back like he was at the reunion.  Be natural, dude.  It's okay, I'll still love you.  

• Love 1

I'm going to have to insist that Babette is part of this revival. Some of my biggest laughs in the show came from Babette. Sally Struthers is a gem. But then, so is Mrs. Kim. Without Mrs. Kim there just isn't much point of including Lane, who became such an afterthought on the show it isn't even funny. After her affair with Dean, I can't think of a single significant moment Rory shared with Lane (I didn't watch season 7).

I am also down for some Marion Ross and Alex Borstein. I wonder if either were even considered?

As far as the boyfriends go, I would have been happy never to see Logan again. He got way more screen time than he deserved as a character because he just so happened to be the last boyfriend established on the show, when the writing started to go out the window. He just sort of hung around because it was easier than writing in a new boyfriend, and that bugs me. Dean and Jess were given clear story arcs and left the show with those story arcs resolved. They weren't overplayed (though I admit Dean certainly didn't end on a high note). They just sort of kept writing around Logan, probably because they loved Matt C so much. We were never free of Logan and it still bugs me to this day.

That said, I can deal with Logan making a return of some sort so long as Dean and Jess get a more significant portion of screen time this time around than him. Jess got really, really interesting towards the end and obviously his chemistry with Rory is off the charts. Dean on the other hand just needs to be able to come across as the nice guy who got somewhere in life and I'll be happy. I really hated seeing him bitter and jaded, and I'm glad that Jared felt the same way and has still been so supportive of the brand. I hope Amy does everything she can to give him a better send off, without necessarily making it a romantic one. I would love it if Dean actually did go to college, or at least a really good trade school. Maybe he has his own construction business now, or works with Tom full time now as his right hand.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4
He was by far Rory's best boyfriend

That's really YMMV. Jess was the only one she had chemistry with and who was an interesting character on his own. I don't consider myself a shipper for this show, but I if they get her with one of her exes, let it be him. Or, really, none of them. Just not Logan.

• Love 1

Technically there was only one Caesar. The other gentleman was tongue in cheek called the 'Asian Caesar' by the forums.

Aris Alvarado's Caesar is coming back.

Asian Caesar was called Caesar on screen.  Although, I think only once.  

I know in Season one (I Believe) there was another tall and slim guy that Luke called Caesar. Then Frozen Banana Loving Caesar replaced him. I don't recall Asian Caesar ever actually being addressed as Caesar

• Love 3

Asian Caesar is definitely addressed as Caesar on-screen, at least once, but I couldn't tell you which episode - I'm in the middle of a marathon with my boyfriend and we took special note of it, because I remembered the two Caesars thing but couldn't remember if it was a forum thing or a show thing until we heard him called Caesar on-screen, which answered that question for me!