Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: News, Photos and More

• Start Topic

I wouldn't mind if Rory ended up with decent Jess. He wasn't put off by her rejecting him outright, at the dorms - he still came to see her when she was living in Hartford (although she rejected him again at the event he held). 

I wish they were getting Sookie back. Even with the long hours they talked about, it's nice to see so many people happy to be back on a show. Not just for the work, but because it was important to them. 

I wouldn't mind if Rory ended up with decent Jess. He wasn't put off by her rejecting him outright, at the dorms - he still came to see her when she was living in Hartford (although she rejected him again at the event he held). 

I wish they were getting Sookie back. Even with the long hours they talked about, it's nice to see so many people happy to be back on a show. Not just for the work, but because it was important to them. 

Actually, he rejected her when she went to see him in Philly; she wanted to get back at Logan and Jess figured it out. Nice Decent Jess was my favorite of Rory's boyfriends, so I''m on bored with that.

• Love 2

I'd like to see Dean with a son or wife named Sam.  Other than that, I don't have an opinion about him coming back.

Glad to hear that Doyle will be back and really liked his relationship with Paris.  As for the rest, I'll be happy with whoever else gets signed.  As much as there were characters I didn't like, to me, all of those characters together made the show.  I would miss those who didn't or weren't able to come back.

April's coming back!

I'm hoping it's something short like a brief phone call home where she mentions how terrible it was that Anna and Liz died together in a freak kiln explosion, and she returns to whatever off screen life she is leading. 

• Love 8

She'd be in college now so hopefully she won't have a big storyline. But I am glad she'll be back. It will be nice to see what kind of relationship she has with everyone -- I'd love to see how she interacts with Emily!

• Love 3

Liz T looked really really thin at the festival reunion last summer. I hope she's doing well and back.

I adore Sutton, but Michelle didn't work. As much as I get why its cool to bring her on as a tip of the hat to Bunheads, I'd rather they didn't go there. Make her someone new. Maybe a work pal of Rory's/mentor?

Insanely excited for Mama Kim, very pleased about Dean...wish April was never mentioned again.

Edited by DisneyBoy

Ausiello confirmed Zach is back too...

Confirmed: Lorelai, Luke, Rory, Emily, Paris, Lane, Michel, Gypsy, Miss Patty, Kirk, Caesar, Christopher, Finn, Logan, Jess, Dean, Andrew, Town Troubadour, Miss Patty, Babette, Taylor, Doyle, April, Zach, Mrs. Kim, Sutton Foster as unknown character

Most Likely Out: Sookie, Liz

No Official Confirmation/Unknown: Anna, Gigi, TJ, Colin, Jackson, Gil, Brian

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 2

Ausiello confirmed Zach is back too...

Confirmed: Lorelai, Luke, Rory, Emily, Paris, Lane, Michel, Gypsy, Miss Patty, Kirk, Caesar, Christopher, Finn, Logan, Jess, Dean, Andrew, Town Troubadour, Miss Patty, Babette, Taylor, Doyle, April, Zach, Sutton Foster as unknown character

Most Likely Out: Sookie, Liz

No Official Confirmation/Unknown: Anna, Gigi, TJ, Colin, Jackson, Gil, Brian

This is so exciting! It's awesome that almost everyone is coming back!

Yay for Mrs. Kim and Zack! With April I understand her coming back because it would seem a little ridiculous in a whole year that Luke never see his daughter. Also while not loving the April storyline (who did?) I have a soft spot for Vanessa Marano now after her role on Switched at Birth. It seems the cast is coming together nicely. I'm excited!

• Love 2

Yay for Mrs. Kim and Zack! With April I understand her coming back because it would seem a little ridiculous in a whole year that Luke never see his daughter. Also while not loving the April storyline (who did?) I have a soft spot for Vanessa Marano now after her role on Switched at Birth. It seems the cast is coming together nicely. I'm excited!

Same. The April storyline was stupid and contrived but I never had a problem with the character on her own. I always thought it was kind of silly that fans blamed her for the breakup because she had nothing to do with it, it was all Luke and Lorelai being dumb and not working out their issues like adults. But I'm a fan of Vanessa Marano on Switched at Birth and she's a good actress so it'll be interesting to see what she'll make of April as an adult. Plus it's nice to know Luke remained a part of April's life since that was important to him in the last couple of seasons.

And for those people who aren't so happy about April's return, I doubt she'll be around too much because she should be off at college so maybe she's just set to appear during the summer episode or if they cover the holidays in the winter episode. 

• Love 4

I'm hoping it's something short like a brief phone call home where she mentions how terrible it was that Anna and Liz died together in a freak kiln explosion, and she returns to whatever off screen life she is leading.

Chris being back is way worse for me.
  • Love 2

I'm actually ok with people coming back, but as long as it isn't one of those awkward "hey long time no see! Good to see you! Bye!" type of things. And also not a "OMG I still love you. I'll be here for a few minutes in this episode and then leave and none of this makes sense what a waste of time sorry."

People like Chris, Jess, and April (actress not confirmed or anything) being in it makes sense. Chris is Rory's dad. Jess is Luke's nephew. April is Luke's daughter. It'd actually be odd to me if, in the year this takes place, they don't show up.

I wouldn't be against people showing up for a "hey long time no see! Good to see you! Bye!" type of thing if they are characters who don't fit into the story, but appeared in multiple episodes. For example Rory could go to a Chilton reunion to meet characters like Madeline and Louise, Tristan, Headmaster Charleston or that teacher that Lorelai dated.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be against people showing up for a "hey long time no see! Good to see you! Bye!" type of thing if they are characters who don't fit into the story, but appeared in multiple episodes. For example Rory could go to a Chilton reunion to meet characters like Madeline and Louise, Tristan, Headmaster Charleston or that teacher that Lorelai dated.

Truth be told, that would make a lot of sense if you look at the time line. It would be ten years (or over) by the time the episodes air. They even could give a passing line with: "Would have done it last year, but you know the school budget these days." Especially with a place like Chilton, I'm sure they got hit with financial and enrollment problems like any other private school. In a way, it would be like Veronica Mars with the high school reunion in the movie. On another note, the returning characters all make sense from April to Dean. With April, Luke is her father and since the show is taking place during seasons, her showing up in Summer or or even Spring makes sense due to breaks at college. With Dean, I can so seeing him finally going back to school, got his degree, but ended up joining a union and being a construction or public worker for Stars Hollow. I agree with many others about Kirk needing some stability now. The joke of his over 200 hundred jobs or being in children's plays is old and tired. Sean Gunn is in his 40s now. I be fine if Kirk was now an Associate Selectman (Since he idolizes Taylor) or even a town Alderman. That way he would still be involve in everything, but actually have one job. Plus, since Lulu is also going to be back and while I shutter at the thought, I'm sure they have one or two kids by now. Lulu could even be a school principal or assistant principal since she would have had to gone back to get a Masters to keep her teacher's license. 

Chris goes without saying and if they are going to do Georgia, I doubt it would be the same little girl who played her and GiGi would be in High School now. We know that Francine is not showing up by any reports, so it would be just Christopher in his: "I look good, but I'm an asshole, but everyone loves me" smile. 

Now a big shock would not be April or even if they reveal that Liz and TJ are showing up, but if Mr. Kim finally made his grand entrance. 

I do feel like a lot of the people showing up would have seen each other in the past couple of years. A possible Chilton reunion aside, it just feels unrealistic for the "hi's and byes". Running into people randomly is fine, but it has to feel organic. Not a blatant "hey Jared got a few days off of Supernatural and we got him! Yay!" type of deal.

So my grandfather passed away a few days ago and it's a big thing for me since he moved in with us when I was born. It got me thinking about how they would handle Richard's death on the show and how gut wrenching it's going to be. And even if  it might be few years past his death on the show (or however they handle it), it's going to be noticeable on the show. I know I'm projecting, any mention of grandfather and death; past grandfather deaths; death in family

(the last episode of The X-Files was brutal for me)

; or death from pneumonia has got me going. But the revival really just got harder for me to watch.

Running into people randomly is fine, but it has to feel organic. Not a blatant "hey Jared got a few days off of Supernatural and we got him! Yay!" type of deal.

Which is what really irked me during the final years of AS-Ps run as show runner/creator of the Gilmore Girls. She mentioned it several times going: "Hey, he/she is free, I have to use them because I can." Then it came off so bad and so forced even the actors later said: "I did it for the paycheck, but that wasn't my best work and I regret it now." Especially since we are talking about Jared here and his last appearance was exactly that before Supernatural took off. Plus, Milo has such a string of bad series or ones that flopped after being hits like Heroes or The Whispers. I be fine if he was in all these episodes because at least he has a point, is a fan favorite and was left in a good place when the show ended. Verses Jared who was stopped being a character in season 3 and then got worst and worst because: "Hey, he's free and I can now write him." Especially if it is true that while Supernatural might get another season, it might be the last since the ratings are way down and the show runners want to give a good send off. Jared is probably thinking of getting himself out there again, especially with something that got his career started in the first place. 

If anyone that would be so forced and out of the blue  and make almost no sense would be the return of Jason, Olivia or Lindsey. 

• Love 2

At first I was getting a little more excited with every piece of casting news. However, there have been several lately that have made me less excited.  Now I'm kinda like "oh.  I guess this revival is going to happen."

At first I was getting a little more excited with every piece of casting news. However, there have been several lately that have made me less excited.  Now I'm kinda like "oh.  I guess this revival is going to happen."

I'm still looking forward to it and so is my mom, we watched the show from beginning to end together. It was our thing and since I can stream, I know she is coming over so we can watch again together and my mother-in-law wants to join into the fun too. We all agree, the last few years were bad even if they tried to find redemption in the end. Now, we are hoping these four episodes will make up for it and give it a better send off. However, we all agree, the return characters from Dean to possibly Tristian need to make sense and not there just because they are free to do it. My mother-in-law said it best that Dean was left so horrible and Thank God for Supernatural helping Jared's acting career. My mother watched Bunheads and loved Sutton but she said she better work for Miss Patty or we will get two Lorelais and that would be a bad thing. My wife's reaction to everything: "I don't want to see Liz or Anna anywhere near the show ever again!" 

Truth be told, that would make a lot of sense if you look at the time line. It would be ten years (or over) by the time the episodes air. They even could give a passing line with: "Would have done it last year, but you know the school budget these days." Especially with a place like Chilton, I'm sure they got hit with financial and enrollment problems like any other private school.

[...]

I be fine if Kirk was now an Associate Selectman (Since he idolizes Taylor) or even a town Alderman.

This year would be 13 years from Rory's graduation. If Chilton is anything like the private prep school I went to, it relies heavily on alumni donations and would not pass up or delay an opportunity to bring them back to reconnect with their school and hopefully write a check. So financial and enrollment problems would only make it more likely that they wouldn't miss a reunion.

And are you sure you don't mean Associate TO THE Selectman? ;)

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 1

This year would be 13 years from Rory's graduation. If Chilton is anything like the private prep school I went to, it relies heavily on alumni donations and would not pass up or delay an opportunity to bring them back to reconnect with their school and hopefully write a check. So financial and enrollment problems would only make it more likely that they wouldn't miss a reunion.

And are you sure you don't mean Associate TO THE Selectman? ;)

Yes, Associate TO THE Selectman would be the position I am referring too. We have many of those in my area, but people refer to them as: "Assistant or Associate Selectman". Very true about a private prep schools doing that, but this is the GG Universe an AS-P bringing them all back, why follow timelines?

So my grandfather passed away a few days ago and it's a big thing for me since he moved in with us when I was born. It got me thinking about how they would handle Richard's death on the show and how gut wrenching it's going to be. And even if  it might be few years past his death on the show (or however they handle it), it's going to be noticeable on the show. I know I'm projecting, any mention of grandfather and death; past grandfather deaths; death in family

(the last episode of The X-Files was brutal for me)

; or death from pneumonia has got me going. But the revival really just got harder for me to watch.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I think the revival will be difficult for me as well. My father has all of Richard's good qualities and none of his bad ones; Richard reminded me of him when GG was airing. Since the show finished airing, my father has struggled with ongoing heart problems just like Richard did, and, like Edward Herrmann in real life, was diagnosed with cancer (although unlike Edward Herrmann, he's in remission, thank God). It's going to be really, really tough to watch the revival when they're all mourning a character who not only died in real life but who also reminds me so much of my own father.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

However, we all agree, the return characters from Dean to possibly Tristian need to make sense and not there just because they are free to do it.

Well now you got me curious.  Is the possibility of a Tristan return at all likely?

Well now you got me curious.  Is the possibility of a Tristan return at all likely?

I assume Chad Michael Murray is pretty busy with Agent Carter on ABC. Gotta earn that sweet Marvel money.

Edited by solotrek

Okay, so I don't know a lot about Amy, but from the interviews I've seen and read, she comes across as really full of herself. I find it baffling that she still refuses to watch most of season seven. I understand being bitter about the way things went down with the network (although I still don't fully understand the circumstances and who was really at fault there), but it just seems so odd to me that she lets this bitterness shine through in interviews. It's just not a classy move.

She thinks it's brilliant and free of flaws, like everything else she's done. Amy doesn't admit to making mistakes.

And I agree that some of ASP's decisions are baffling. I am genuinely stunned that she still refuses to watch season 7. Now that the continuation is happening, she really needs to see it. I was shocked that she told Ausiello, "We had to sort of catch up on Season 7. We did a lot through asking our friends who are obsessive Gilmore fans and have watched every moment to talk us through what happened. And I’ve seen bits and pieces." See: http://tvline.com/2016/02/02/gilmore-girls-spoilers-netflix-revival-rory-dean-jess-logan/

Asking friends to explain what happened?? Being that stubborn is shameful. 

I have finally been catching up on this thread and all the news, but I just had to bring these up from a few pages back.  I just read that interview with ASP, and her refusal to watch the last season of the show she is continuing is completely ridiculous!   She'd rather ask her friends to talk her through what happened?   Seriously?  That is absurd.   What is wrong with her?

I watched Bunheads when it was on and found it frustrating much of the time.   I recall that the consensus at the time was that ASP needs someone with authority to reign in her more ludicrous impulses. (Any Bunheads fans remember 'paying season'?)   I hope this project lives up to my and the fans' expectations.  Overall I'm still trying to stay positive, but reading the quote above from ASP makes me worried.

• Love 8
She thinks it's brilliant and free of flaws, like everything else she's done. Amy doesn't admit to making mistakes.

It's so true. And here we wonder why so many of the characters she creates seem oddly immature ;) Seriously, if she still thinks S5 and S6 were flawless, I'm wondering if she didn't watch THOSE seasons either!

• Love 6

Jared Padalecki posted a new Facebook video on Saturday. He says that he'll be filming "this week."

From the way he was talking, it sounds like he's only filming this week, which would mean a pretty limited role in the revival for Dean ,but we had sort of assumed that anyway.

IMDB: The IMDB page has been updated.  "Winter" (the first episode) lists a kitchen sink of all the known returning characters, so those were probably done by fans and can be safely discounted. Of greater interest are the credits for Milo Ventimiglia (Jess) and Tanc Sade (Finn). MV is credited for the first three episodes, while Tanc Sade is credited for the last two, "Summer" and "Fall." I tend to think the latter is legit, so if Finn is in the last two episodes, I imagine Logan will be as well, and if Jess isn't in the last episode, I might have to revise my earlier predictions about Rory's endgame pairing.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(Any Bunheads fans remember 'paying season'?)

I will never forget the spectacle that was "paying season."  It was both amazing and insane at the same time.  For the uninitiated, the character of Fanny Flowers (played by Kelly Bishop) kept all her invoices and bills in a collection of hat boxes.  Fanny had a "paying season," wherein she would pay bills.  Apparently, she did not pay her bills during "non-paying" seasons.  During her paying season, Fanny would decide what bills she wanted to pay by going through her hat boxes, and the merchants in the town were grateful and honored to have been considered for bill payment.  She did not pay all her bills at this time, nor were there any real consequences to Fanny's system of bill payment.  This was accepted as completely normal by nearly all the townsfolk.   

So yes, we can see what happens when ASP is allowed to create a show absent real supervision.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3

I just read that interview with ASP, and her refusal to watch the last season of the show she is continuing is completely ridiculous!   She'd rather ask her friends to talk her through what happened?   Seriously?  That is absurd.   What is wrong with her?

I'm reminded of this quote from Aaron Sorkin after he left West Wing:

“And I can't tell you whether it was great or not because less than 30 seconds after it started, I dove at the DVD player and slammed it off. It was like watching somebody make out with my girlfriend,” Sorkin said. “[it was] so difficult to watch these characters in this world that I had created no longer needing me at all. Just doing it by themselves.”

• Love 2

I'm reminded of this quote from Aaron Sorkin after he left West Wing:

“And I can't tell you whether it was great or not because less than 30 seconds after it started, I dove at the DVD player and slammed it off. It was like watching somebody make out with my girlfriend,” Sorkin said. “[it was] so difficult to watch these characters in this world that I had created no longer needing me at all. Just doing it by themselves.”

LOL, I love that anecdote of Aaron Sorkin so much. I love his report that he consulted with Larry David, Another Auteur Who Left His Show (Seinfeld). 

Sorkin recalled that after leaving The West Wing, he received some friendly advice from Larry David – who’d left Seinfeld before the end of its run. David told him never to watch The West Wing again, saying, “Either it's going to be great and you're gonna be miserable, or it's gonna be less than great and you're gonna be miserable. But either way, you're gonna be miserable."

Which is also funny for me as a Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm fan because that's so Larry David. Although, actually, the later seasons of TWW and GG should hit a sweet spot for Aaron Sorkin and ASP. Not terrible, not some perversion of their baby, but also clearly not as touched by Sorkin's and Palladino's genius. The parent of the show side should be calmed and the ego side should be soothed. If I recall, I found the post-Larry David seasons of Seinfeld far more objectionable than S7 Gilmore Girls and S5-7 West Wing even though Jerry Seinfeld, the other creator/writer was still there. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1

Wow, Jackson, too? At this point, they'll be able to replace the entirety of the credits with "Everyone except Melissa McCarthy and Kathleen Wilhoite. (Bitches.)" (Not that MM and KW are bitches, but it sure sounds like there's bad blood between ASP and MM/KW at this point.)

On the other hand, Sookie's house was built as one of the sets on the WB lot. I guess now we know why.

Also, Jackson's actor in his Tweet says that he received his GG "script," not scripts. 

I will never forget the spectacle that was "paying season."

The depressing thing is that this is in all likelihood based on a real person ASP knows.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

On the other hand, Sookie's house was built as one of the sets on the WB lot. I guess now we know why.

So the house actually didn't need to be rebuilt, just redressed on the outside. All the buildings outside on the lot are permanent fixtures that are redressed for different shows/movies. "Stars Hollow" is actually Midwest Street and can be seen on a ton of different shows, including Pretty Little Liars (and most recently, Grease Live).

• Love 1

Yanic has been posting lots of great pics of himself with fellow GG cast members on his instagram. His latest post is with Melissa at dinner, and people went insane because they assumed that they had come from set together. His caption on the picture was that people shouldn't read too much into things (he probably wrote that because the comments were full of people freaking out). I am beginning to think that Melissa will return to the revival, but that they may keep it under wraps strategically so the news doesn't conflict with her press for Ghostbusters and Boss. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Love 1

I think that Finn's role will probably be to get Rory and Logan back together. Like I could see Finn (and Colin, Paris and/or Honor- I don't think that he could pull it off on his own) at some point convincing Logan and/or Rory that they were idiots for breaking up and all that. Or maybe any combination of the three of them set up some sort of 'chance encounter' for the two of them or something like that.

How are they going to explain Sookie's absence? Does she die? Do she and Jackson get divorced/does she leave them?

Also who thinks Tristan will come back?

I think that Finn's role will probably be to get Rory and Logan back together. Like I could see Finn (and Colin, Paris and/or Honor- I don't think that he could pull it off on his own) at some point convincing Logan and/or Rory that they were idiots for breaking up and all that. Or maybe any combination of the three of them set up some sort of 'chance encounter' for the two of them or something like that.

How are they going to explain Sookie's absence? Does she die? Do she and Jackson get divorced/does she leave them?

Also who thinks Tristan will come back?

One theory I like is that Sookie hit the big time with a cooking show and is off doing that, which would be a nice meta parallel with Melissa McCarthy's meteoric success in real life, but that's just a theory as opposed to anything supported by spoilers. I doubt ASP would kill off Sookie; I suspect there's bad blood between ASP and MM, given the conflicting stories about MM not being asked back, but I don't think it's quite that bad.

I doubt Tristan will come back, but there's always a chance, I guess.

One theory I like is that Sookie hit the big time with a cooking show and is off doing that, which would be a nice meta parallel with Melissa McCarthy's meteoric success in real life, but that's just a theory as opposed to anything supported by spoilers. I doubt ASP would kill off Sookie; I suspect there's bad blood between ASP and MM, given the conflicting stories about MM not being asked back, but I don't think it's quite that bad.

I think you're right--I doubt she'd kill off Sookie for a few reasons, first and foremost is that Edward Hermann actually died. When there are 2 major characters missing and one is missing because of their very real loss, it seems pretty strange to kill off the other character as a plot point or joke or whatever. Plus, having a young, healthy mother die seems a little dark for Gilmore Girls. 

• Love 1