Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: News, Photos and More

• Start Topic

(edited)

Lauren announced that she is releasing a book of short stories based on her life which will also include stories about GG- the first run & the revival. The book will be released around the time the episodes are dropped. Her book comes out November 29th which is a Tuesday. So I'm guessing they will drop the episodes the Friday before? Which is the day after thanksgiving?

Edited by SiobhanJW
9 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

Lauren announced that she is releasing a book of short stories based on her life which will also include stories about GG- the first run & the revival. The book will be released around the time the episodes are dropped. Her book comes out November 29th which is a Tuesday. So I'm guessing they will drop the episodes the Friday before? Which is the day after thanksgiving?

This is not okay.  I'm planning a big watch party, and I'll be out of town then.

So Radaronline and apparently the National Enquirer are discussing the salaries of LG, AB and MM. Radaronline claims that LG and AB are upset because MM had demanded $2M compared to $5M for each of the GG.

I'm personally indifferent to the actual money they will be earning, more power to them, but how long has this been known? It's completely out of nowhere for me. 

Melissa is barely in this thing, so that sounds tacky...but how big was the discrepancy between her salary over the years compared to those she worked with? Might this be her way of getting her due in light of the past?

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Melissa is barely in this thing, so that sounds tacky...but how big was the discrepancy between her salary over the years compared to those she worked with? Might this be her way of getting her due in light of the past?

I honestly suspect that it's just what they are worth in the current market. 

Melissa's at her peak, and the other two are doing a reunion. Sixteen years ago it was reversed.

Oh, and now that I look at the source of the story (National Enquirer), I realize this may well be fake or taken highly out of context. Haven't seen it anywhere else. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SiobhanJW said:

I didn't know about the book.. I've just guessed, in another thread, that they might release it the day after Thanksgiving. It's a four-day weekend for most people. Maybe they'll release it the weekend before? I was hoping it would be more like Labour day weekend, but that might be reserved for season 2 of Narcos. 

Fun look back at the hats!  As I clicked on the link I thought, "I bet I'll like them all, because I'm easy that way."  Nope....there really were some bad ones.  Funny how many of them I never really noticed given how many times I've seen each episode.  

Melissa's at her peak, and the other two are doing a reunion. Sixteen years ago it was reversed.

Was it really reversed?  It wasn't like Lauren or Alexis were big stars and Melissa was up and coming.  I think when the show started, Gilmore Girls was Alexis' first acting job, and Lauren was mostly prominent for being a show killer (i.e. she starred in a number of tv shows that were quickly cancelled after only a few episodes.)  I'd say the situation now is more like Melissa is a mega-star, Lauren is still successful on a smaller scale and Alexis' career is likely really needing the boost the reunion will give it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Was it really reversed?  It wasn't like Lauren or Alexis were big stars and Melissa was up and coming.  I think when the show started, Gilmore Girls was Alexis' first acting job, and Lauren was mostly prominent for being a show killer (i.e. she starred in a number of tv shows that were quickly cancelled after only a few episodes.)  I'd say the situation now is more like Melissa is a mega-star, Lauren is still successful on a smaller scale and Alexis' career is likely really needing the boost the reunion will give it. 

I was being generous to the original series. GG was only highly rated in the 18-25 females group; nationwide and all demographics it never broke the top 100.

Relatively, though, the GG were much more successful than Melissa at that point. Melissa wasn't even first choice for Sookie, and got the job because Alex Borstein wasn't free. Now it's the opposite, although LG is better off than a show killer. Alexis is arguably not, but Melissa is off the charts.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, junienmomo said:

GG was only highly rated in the 18-25 females group; nationwide and all demographics it never broke the top 100.

Much as I have enjoyed the show over the years, I never could figure out why it was so much more popular here in Canada. It was often in the top 30.  The show was also quite popular in Italy where it was titled, I believe, A Best Friend for a Mother.

Much as I have enjoyed the show over the years, I never could figure out why it was so much more popular here in Canada. It was often in the top 30.

I don't know if the reason is all that mysterious.  At least in the United States, the show aired on a network that didn't have the same level of viewership as the four big broadcast networks, and aired shows that were mainly aimed at a teenage audience.  That likely served to limit the amount of people who were watching, or who would even consider sampling the show. 

If the Canadian network the show aired on was the equivalent of a ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox, then it's not surprising that Gilmore Girls did better than it did in the United States.   

(edited)
On 5/26/2016 at 2:26 PM, txhorns79 said:

I don't know if the reason is all that mysterious.  At least in the United States, the show aired on a network that didn't have the same level of viewership as the four big broadcast networks, and aired shows that were mainly aimed at a teenage audience.  That likely served to limit the amount of people who were watching, or who would even consider sampling the show. 

If the Canadian network the show aired on was the equivalent of a ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox, then it's not surprising that Gilmore Girls did better than it did in the United States.   

I was 25 when it premiered, and I agree with the above. I can't remember when I started to hear about it (I remember Lauren Graham was suddenly everywhere in magazines, as "the cool mum"), but the one article that stands out was in 2003. I didn't watch the show at the time - we had trouble with the channel (didn't have cable), and I also thought it was a kid's channel. I think if I'd been able to get hold of DVDs when the show was on (early years), I would have started to tune in on the nights it aired. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
(edited)

I lived in Canada for the first 6 seasons, in two different provinces. I do think some cable companies would carry American WB/CW channels, but in general Gilmore Girls was aired on Global. And yes, Global is more mainstream in Canada than WB/CW is in the USA and airs many popular NBC/ABC/CBS programs. So GG did probably get a boost from being on that network.

Edited by Randomosity
Typo
  • Love 1

So the photo on Netflix has been changed to a photo of just Alexis. I hope it's not a sign that the revival is going to be mostly about Rory.  The spoilers with the LADB and ALL the exes kind of points in that direction. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FictionLover said:

So the photo on Netflix has been changed to a photo of just Alexis. I hope it's not a sign that the revival is going to be mostly about Rory.  The spoilers with the LADB and ALL the exes kind of points in that direction. 

I just checked and the photo is just of a coffee cup. Did you see this when you searched for Gilmore Girls on Netflix? (That's how I saw the poster.) 

5 hours ago, Deevee45 said:

I just checked and the photo is just of a coffee cup. Did you see this when you searched for Gilmore Girls on Netflix? (That's how I saw the poster.) 

Sorry for the confusion...not the new GG but the regular series. The photo is just Rory and I thought it was strange it would be just her.

Although I'd prefer that all four episodes not be released at the same time, I also don't want have to wait three months in between, as the link suggests. For me, a week between each one would be ideal.

• Love 5

This article speculates that each season may be released in the each of the actual seasons. That would stink. I think that would risk losing some of the viewers interest. 

Oh man, nope, nope! I'd honestly hate that. I'm as excited as you can be about the revival but the above would definitely take a toll on my level of interest.

I'm currently waiting around for all of the Digimon revival mini-movies to be released because after the first one I couldn't keep up with the rest. Depending what I have going on, I might block the hell out of everything relating to GG on tumblr and hope for the best that I don't get spoiled until everything is out.

I could deal with one episode per month, but I agree one week between each one would be ideal.

I would hate it, too. The whole point of Netflix, is to be able to watch it all. I wouldn't mind waiting a week in between episodes, but not three months! 

• Love 1

I've been randomly catching re-runs on UP.  Man, do I hate older Rory.  DAR Rory is awful, and she never really gets better after that. (One reason I personally feel that Logan can go crawl in a hole to rot.) I don't know if it was the writing/characterization or how Alexis Bledel chose to play her or both, but I really hope the character is not as insufferable once the Netflix "Seasons" come out. /venting :)

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

I've been randomly catching re-runs on UP.  Man, do I hate older Rory.  DAR Rory is awful, and she never really gets better after that. (One reason I personally feel that Logan can go crawl in a hole to rot.) I don't know if it was the writing/characterization or how Alexis Bledel chose to play her or both, but I really hope the character is not as insufferable once the Netflix "Seasons" come out. /venting :)

I hated DAR Rory, it was so.... not Rory. I mean the way it was portrayed, and written, it was just as bad of a story next to adulter Rory and "I was told I didn't haven it, I'm dropping out of school! Wahhhhh!" I won't even go back into the entire Rory drives up to Lorelai and hugs her like something out of a bad chick flick movie for the: "I'm so sorry, mom." I don't want to see any bit of that type of Rory at all. I'm hoping that both Alexis Blendel and AS-P play the older, 9 years later Rory much more grounded and has a clue now.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, readster said:

I hated DAR Rory, it was so.... not Rory. I mean the way it was portrayed, and written, it was just as bad of a story next to adulter Rory and "I was told I didn't haven it, I'm dropping out of school! Wahhhhh!" I won't even go back into the entire Rory drives up to Lorelai and hugs her like something out of a bad chick flick movie for the: "I'm so sorry, mom." I don't want to see any bit of that type of Rory at all. I'm hoping that both Alexis Blendel and AS-P play the older, 9 years later Rory much more grounded and has a clue now.

Even her voice is more whiny, or tinny, or... something. Blech. I haven't seen Alexis in other things, so I don't know if that's just who she grew up to be somewhere around season 4-5, or if that was a choice for the Rory role. Add that to the out-of-character stuff you mentioned, and I'm totally with you - I hope the 'real' Rory comes back as an adult.

• Love 1

The video with Lauren promoting GG (original recipe) going global on Netflix on July 1st was cute. Plus her mentioning the revival coming up later in the year just ramps up my anticipation.

• Love 1

I won't even go back into the entire Rory drives up to Lorelai and hugs her like something out of a bad chick flick movie for the: "I'm so sorry, mom." I don't want to see any bit of that type of Rory at all. I'm hoping that both Alexis Blendel and AS-P play the older, 9 years later Rory much more grounded and has a clue now.

Boy, I hated that crap apology too - I want grown-up Rory to have to go around eating crow and handing out apologies to Lorelai, Emily, Lane, Dean, Lindsay, Lindsay's Mom and that poor man she badgered for a job she never went to or mentioned again after getting.

• Love 2

I love that hug between Rory and Lorelai. It makes me cry, every time. 

Rory badgering that guy for a job, I do agree, was bad. It was like she was trying to be her mother, only I'm not sure Lorelai would do that, either. Not when it comes to a potential employer. 

The older I've gotten the more I hate how Rory handled that...and that the show seemed to endorse it as a job hunt technique. The guy didn't have an opening for you, brat! What don't you understand?!

The hug only worked because I knew how badly Lorelai was hurting without her kid.

• Love 1

The hug worked for me, because they were both hurting without each other, and I know how that feels. She was in the process of trying to fix what she'd broken - although I understand why she was so angry at her grandparents. She may have been living with them for free, but she was doing her job with the DAR, and doing what she had been instructed to do by the court. She was 21, and didn't need her privacy being invaded. 

• Love 1

She was in the process of trying to fix what she'd broken - although I understand why she was so angry at her grandparents. She may have been living with them for free, but she was doing her job with the DAR, and doing what she had been instructed to do by the court. She was 21, and didn't need her privacy being invaded. 

I understood why she was annoyed with Emily and Richard, but it's also kind of a trade off when you are being supported. 

On a secondary note, Gilmore Guys did an interview with Emily Kuroda (Mrs. Kim).  She doesn't make for the best interview (she said she's normally a very shy person), but did say she was only in one episode of the revival, while declining to say which one. 

• Love 2

Every day (it seems) there is a new article in the news feed from the revival PR machine, yesterday Lauren saying "it has ruined me for life" (because it is so great) following the previous day's "my most favorite thing I've ever done".  I'm not reading these, but even the headlines are bugging.  I don't need all the pumping and boosting of the series, and it's like reading advance notices of a movie that tell us "it is the most amazing plot twist ever" or "you won't believe the ending!".  If it's great, we will find out for ourselves.  And otherwise, please do not over-reach on setting the expectations for what we all hope will be a thoroughly enjoyable series of four episodes. 

• Love 4

Watching it now and really enjoying it. :) Interesting that his favourite Luke and Lorelai scenes are in the revival. Sounds hopeful! :)

I love how close he and Milo seem as well. It's nice to know. That's probably why they have such good chemistry on scene. Hope we get a lot of Luke/Jess scenes. :)

• Love 2