Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: News, Photos and More

• Start Topic

(edited)

I have no idea what you are talking about.  But please, if you are a pr person from this show, spill!  If not, well, I guess we are all here just like everyone else trying to figure things out about the show.  It's all good!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Oh my God, I'm so excited for Melissa! I genuinely do believe it was a miscommunication all around so I'm really thrilled that they worked everything out.

Honestly I didn't realize until I saw this news that it just wouldn't feel complete without Sookie. WHEN DO I GET MY EPISODES?

• Love 1

I'd happily welcome Dean back if he were to have a scene with Lorelai. Boy, the sexual tension between them with Dean ten years older would blow up my screen!

I'm so glad I saw this! Was this a thing when the show was on? I didn't go on forums then and unfortunately missed watching the first season live and was spotty on the later ones. Totally unlike me actually. I just started watching from the beginning on Netflix the other day and was watching the episode after Dean and Roy stayed out all night and Dean was talking to Lorelai at the window. I just kept thinking, wow do these two have crazy chemistry or am I creepy haha.

And to get back on track for the thread, I'm all for Jess. He was always my favorite because the actors had such great chemistry. Although I was in college when this was on and reading through the thread now I see that a lot of people couldn't stand him. I'm excited to get to season 2 to see if my opinion changes now that I'm older.

• Love 2

Rather than second hand, here's the info right out of Melissa's own mouth (from her appearance on Ellen):

Did she say she loved being on the show for 4 years? That was weird.

And it sounded almost like she said Sahrah's Hollow.

• Love 2
(edited)

Guys, I really wanted to say this, and I wasn't sure where to put it.  (And it's not just because I'm in such a great mood that Melissa McCarthy is returning, LOL).

I'm really excited for the Revival!  I watch a lot of television, which means I post in a lot of threads here.  I think that the Gilmore Girls community here is GREAT.  SINCERELY.  We disagree on a lot of stuff, but people posting here have always been so appreciative of my posts and welcoming, even though I only got into the show in 2014.  I strongly appreciate that attitude.  The Gilmore Girls board here is something special.

I'm really excited to watch this revival (eventually!) with all of you guys.  <3  Happy Friday.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm so glad I saw this! Was this a thing when the show was on? I didn't go on forums then and unfortunately missed watching the first season live and was spotty on the later ones. Totally unlike me actually. I just started watching from the beginning on Netflix the other day and was watching the episode after Dean and Roy stayed out all night and Dean was talking to Lorelai at the window. I just kept thinking, wow do these two have crazy chemistry or am I creepy haha.

And to get back on track for the thread, I'm all for Jess. He was always my favorite because the actors had such great chemistry. Although I was in college when this was on and reading through the thread now I see that a lot of people couldn't stand him. I'm excited to get to season 2 to see if my opinion changes now that I'm older.

I was a very young teenager back when the show was airing and I wasn't a big presence on the Gilmore Girls foruns then but I do remember quite a few jokes about Lorelai and Dean.  May I direct you to the timeless Rory's Mom vid.

I remember Jess being extremelly popular online. There were tons of Rory/Jess fic. I'm finishing rewatching S2 for the 20000th time and I don't think I've ever loved it more. S3 gets more awful each time I watch it tho.

Returning to the topic, I never really believed MM wouldn't return tbqh and I have a half a mind to believe the entire thing was a PR stunt. I am glad the situation with Sookie's return has been resolved since that was mostly what people ever talked about and would probably continue talking about after the revival. 

I am very, very happy Liz and TJ aren't coming back; they might be only the only faces I really don't wanna see return. Worst. Characters. Ever.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 3

Returning to the topic, I never really believed MM wouldn't return tbqh and I have a half a mind to believe the entire thing was a PR stunt. I am glad the situation with Sookie's return has been resolved since that was mostly what people ever talked about and would probably continue talking about after the revival. 

Admittedly a lot of people see Ellen, but a big part of me doubts if seeing Melissa talk about it on Ellen is really going to bring anyone to watch Gilmore Girls if they weren't already Gilmore fans. This will she/won't she cycle has gotten press notice, sure, but for all of those headline inches or web hits, I doubt they would or even could change the viewership numbers (do we even call them ratings anymore with streaming ONLY shows?)  Because with the rare exception of someone like the writer here at Previously who'd never seen the show and did a marathon, really who's going to come on board viewing it that wasn't already onboard?

Did she say she loved being on the show for 4 years? That was weird.

And it sounded almost like she said Sahrah's Hollow.

She did say a show that was near and dear to her heart for four years.  It sure does seem there was some bad blood; that was a low blow coming from an actor that was on the show for 7 years.

• Love 1

She did say a show that was near and dear to her heart for four years. It sure does seem there was some bad blood; that was a low blow coming from an actor that was on the show for 7 years.

MM knows damn well how many years she was on the show. Brutal comment. I think that's what's called shade.

• Love 3

Since many loyal viewers also feel that certain seasons sucked, I'm ok with Melissa feeling the same.

At the beginning she was a fairly independent character. Towards the end Sookie was more a plot device. Not as bad as Lane, but still.

• Love 4
(edited)

I understand the concept of first position versus second position when one is on one show thinking about moving to another, but I assume Melissa couldn't have been 'first position' with Samantha Who unless her contract allowed her to do so, meaning they weren't willing to give her what was necessary to keep her as 'first position' on GG?  Or, had her contract on GG expired at the end of seven seasons, so when she auditioned for Samantha Who she put that in first position over returning to GG under a new contract?  I honestly don't recall. As I recall, GG was on shaky (at best) ground at that time, so I can understand why Melissa would try to enhance her prospects of getting a new job by putting that in first position (especially if we can remember that this was before she was a massive star, and she was likely just looking to secure a next job out of a horribly uncertain situation).  I believe also that network shows back then (maybe even now) paid significantly more than a WB could.  I get why she did whatever she did in that instance.

I'm inclined not to read ulterior motive into what she said, I think she just misspoke after not really thinking more than a bit about how to announce this after the mess that has been out there, she seemed a bit nervous about the whole announcement, but who knows (we likely will never actually, really know):) It really should have never gotten to this point if all involved had gotten their heads out of their collective asses when this revival first came to light.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, I'd bet good money that she simply misspoke. When you're old enough to have changed jobs a number of times, you really have to take a second to remember how many years total or how many years ago you did this or that. I'm in my mid forties, have had a number of different jobs, and would never be able to remember off the top of my head exactly how many years I had a certain job...especially on national TV making an announcement I'm excited/nervous about. And it's not like she discusses all seven seasons of the show on a regular basis like we do, so seven years isn't seared into her brain.

• Love 1
(edited)
Since many loyal viewers also feel that certain seasons sucked, I'm ok with Melissa feeling the same.

At the beginning she was a fairly independent character. Towards the end Sookie was more a plot device. Not as bad as Lane, but still.

ITA so hard!

I'd be more inclined to believe she simply mispoke, myself, If it wasn't for her comment hitting dead on when Sookie's character started sucking. The shade might not have been directed at ASP, exactly. I remember an lenghy interview where ASP talked about how around S4 it started getting impossible to do the show given she had to write, direct, edit and God knows what else pretty much all by herself (+ Dan) and it was starting to take a toll. So I don't think ASP would disagree with MM on that point.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

Do you guys think that these four episodes will truly be the "end" of GG? I find it hard to believe that Netflix, WB or the stars/writers/creators will shy away from all of the media attention and money that will result from the revival. I seriously see at least one GG related article published on a near daily basis, and most of them have robust comment sections and discussions. I frankly think the public interest has shocked the networks and Netflix. I can't imagine that the stars will all be able to dedicate several months a year to this project in the future, though. Maybe something like one "movie" episode per year to keep things going?

Do you guys think that these four episodes will truly be the "end" of GG? I find it hard to believe that Netflix, WB or the stars/writers/creators will shy away from all of the media attention and money that will result from the revival. I seriously see at least one GG related article published on a near daily basis, and most of them have robust comment sections and discussions. I frankly think the public interest has shocked the networks and Netflix. I can't imagine that the stars will all be able to dedicate several months a year to this project in the future, though. Maybe something like one "movie" episode per year to keep things going?

I have a hard time seeing how they could all be persuaded to keep coming back. I mean, maybe Lauren, Alexis and Scott could (given that they don't seem to have a massive number of other projects lined  up), but I can't see the majority of the townies being wiling to keep up the pace that ASP demands on the show. They're not getting any younger. And Rory's boyfriends seem to have pretty full careers at the moment, so if one of them turns out to be end game, then he'd have to be willing to go backward, almost, in order to sign on that long. I just don't see it.

The revival feels more like a class reunion of sorts... everyone showing up for this one shot deal for a few months. (Ok, a long class reunion. Heh.) But I can't see them all being willing to sustain that level of caring for an extended period of time. There's a reason people stop going to class reunions. They just get to the point where it seems to be too much trouble.

• Love 1
Do you guys think that these four episodes will truly be the "end" of GG?

My gut feeling leans more towards: yes. Besides Melissa, Gilmore Girls hasn't created any huge stars but the cast is absolutely huge so I think the fact ASP managed to get everybody on board for these four episodes was pretty much a miracle that I have doubts could be re-created. And I don't think ASP would settle for less as far as any potential future episodes go.

I, too, have a question: ASP claiming she hasn't watched S7. One last dig or the truth? 

• Love 2

I was a very young teenager back when the show was airing and I wasn't a big presence on the Gilmore Girls foruns then but I do remember quite a few jokes about Lorelai and Dean. May I direct you to the timeless Rory's Mom vid.

Haha OK that's hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

• Love 1

At this point ASP has to have watched S7. She would look like a fool otherwise.

She claims she hasn't and has gotten "filled in" by friends (or at least when she started writing the revival). I didn't believe her and still don't.

She claims she hasn't and has gotten "filled in" by friends (or at least when she started writing the revival). I didn't believe her and still don't.

She has been contradictory about this.  I saw an interview with her saying she caught some of it on ABC family after she said the "filled in by friends" comment.  I think she watched the whole season and not just recently.

• Love 1

She has been contradictory about this.  I saw an interview with her saying she caught some of it on ABC family after she said the "filled in by friends" comment.  I think she watched the whole season and not just recently.

At the end of the ATX recording she says something along the lines of 'it's been on TV while she's been in the room, so she's caught some (most?) of it herself unavoidably. '

So now there is a lawsuit between one of the original producers and WB over the revival?! Who knew little GG could cause so much drama!

It's about money. It's also entirely possible this guy may have a point--if he was legitimately entitled to part of the profit and WB is trying to weasel out of giving them a a share by claiming content on streaming services don't count as TV series. And he's actually asking for what sounds like a reasonable amount.

• Love 2

So now there is a lawsuit between one of the original producers and WB over the revival?! Who knew little GG could cause so much drama!

What he's asking for is not unreasonable - it will cost WB more money to litigate than settle. Maybe they're afraid other producers asking for the same if they had the same in their contracts. WB saying that since it's on Netflix it's not a television series is something that I don't think will hold up, Orange Is the New Black won an Emmy - an award for tv shows. Interesting to see the outcome.

• Love 3

I was a very young teenager back when the show was airing and I wasn't a big presence on the Gilmore Girls foruns then but I do remember quite a few jokes about Lorelai and Dean. May I direct you to the timeless Rory's Mom vid.

Thanks for that link. ;)

There's a couple other Lorelai/Dean vids on YouTube. I admit part of the reason I like Dean is watching his chemistry with Lorelai. Once you notice it, you can't not see it.

• Love 2

I always thought that Dean and Lorelia had inappropriate chemistry, but still loved their scenes. I'm hoping for a Lorelai/Jess scene because their scenes were always so full of animosity and it will be interesting to see how Lorelai deals with a mature and grown up Jess.

I am so excited about the revival since pretty much everyone is onboard. Its going to bring back so many great memories, and if they are still going to have the main title song playing I will probably start bawling. I don't understand how people are getting upset about this just by seeing pictures or reading spoilers, without even seeing the whole thing. Stars Hollow is back on our TV screen- that is happiness all in itself!

• Love 4

Every time I hear someone list the revival episodes (like Lauren Graham does in the new Ellen clip out, "Winter, spring, summer, fall"), I keep thinking to myself that of course it's that order because it's the theme song lyrics, but then I remember that it's not the right Carole King song :P

40 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

Every time I hear someone list the revival episodes (like Lauren Graham does in the new Ellen clip out, "Winter, spring, summer, fall"), I keep thinking to myself that of course it's that order because it's the theme song lyrics, but then I remember that it's not the right Carole King song :P

Doesn't mean that song still isn't the inspiration, assuming you simply attribute King as a muse to the whole series (easy enough to do when she actually appeared on-screen in it a number of times). 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Doesn't mean that song still isn't the inspiration, assuming you simply attribute King as a muse to the whole series (easy enough to do when she actually appeared on-screen in it a number of times). 

Absolutely possible. I just catch myself thinking it's the theme then realizing it's not - just me having a brain fart. Although, that's not to say that there won't be a new theme song for the revival, such as the one with those lyrics. "You've got a friend" certainly still fits the idea of Gilmore Girls.

I think Carole King played a valuable role in setting the mood for the show with her song as the theme song,  but it's a little much to consider her a muse for the whole series.  As far as I know, she played no role in the show outside of having her song picked as the theme song, and doing some guest spots as Sophie.   

(edited)
8 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Carole King played a valuable role in setting the mood for the show with her song as the theme song,  but it's a little much to consider her a muse for the whole series.  As far as I know, she played no role in the show outside of having her song picked as the theme song, and doing some guest spots as Sophie.   

Okay, but a muse isn't a literal, active role. It's just an inspiration. My point is that if the Palladinos had a vision of a time and place that was represented by Carole King music, that could have set the tone of the show overall for them. It just goes to the the state of mind of the writer. If the writer sees this universe as an extension of Carole King music, then hints of other songs besides the theme could certainly inspire other writing choices. It doesn't mean Carole King literally had to have done anything (although she did actually re-record her song for the theme). Most muses are totally unaware of their roles, actually. 

Edited by Kromm

Okay, but a muse isn't a literal, active role. It's just an inspiration. My point is that if the Palladinos had a vision of a time and place that was represented by Carole King music, that could have set the tone of the show overall for them.

A muse can be a source of ongoing inspiration, who has a literal, active role in whatever project she's inspiring.  My point more is that as far as I know, neither Carole King, nor her music, inspired the series. 

19 minutes ago, Kromm said:

My point is that if the Palladinos had a vision of a time and place that was represented by Carole King music, that could have set the tone of the show overall for them. It just goes to the the state of mind of the writer. If the writer sees this universe as an extension of Carole King music, then hints of other songs besides the theme could certainly inspire other writing choices. It doesn't mean Carole King literally had to have done anything (although she did actually re-record her song for the theme). Most muses are totally unaware of their roles, actually. 

It may not have been her music  so much as aspects of her life. Which appear to have been imitated in that of the character Lane. Both women married and had two children  very young while pursuing  careers in music with their respective husbands.

(edited)

It may not have been her music  so much as aspects of her life. Which appear to have been imitated in that of the character Lane. Both women married and had two children  very young while pursuing  careers in music with their respective husbands.

That seems like a pretty big stretch.  While they may be similar in very superficial ways, i.e. both are women involved in the music industry, who married men involved in the music industry and had children, from what I know about Carole King's life, there doesn't appear to be anything about Lane that would give me the impression her story was meant to even suggest Carole King's.  

Edited by txhorns79
6 hours ago, dustylil said:

I'm pretty sure that Lane was modeled after ASP's bestie Helen Pai.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

I'm pretty sure that Lane was modeled after ASP's bestie Helen Pai

Yes, Helen Pai is Korean-American and was raised in the Seventh Day Adventist faith. However, unlike Lane she was  not a musician,  she did not marry quite young and her husband was not a professional musician.   

http://tvline.com/2016/02/01/gilmore-girls-revival-spoilers-amy-sherman-palladino-interview/

it is a nod to Carole King.

"TVLINE | So, the episodes — titled “Winter,” “Spring,” “Summer” and “Fall” — are an obvious nod to Carole King. But did that order also work out for you story-wise?
Yes, it’s how the song goes, so everyone will be familiar with it. But, narratively, it really worked. It worked to open on snow and have a colder, starker environment. And then end on a lusher, warmer, golden-y town, which lends to where the story will end. Weirdly, the hard part was not breaking these stories. [The hard part was that] we had a lot of stuff we had to pull out. At first we were like, “How are we going to fill 90 minutes?!” And then we were like, “How are we going to get it down to 90 minutes?!” It became like this ridiculous, “Oh, s–t, now we’re at three hours!”

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm pretty sure that Lane was modeled after ASP's bestie Helen Pai.

I believe you are right. 

However, unlike Lane she was  not a musician,  she did not marry quite young and her husband was not a professional musician.   

I don't think the character was meant to exactly mirror Helen Pai's life.  I just presume that while Pai's life served as the basis for the character, liberties were taken to keep the storyline interesting.      

Edited by txhorns79