Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: News, Photos and More

• Start Topic

That's REALLY unlikely, unless said agent/manager was actively trying to get fired

It's really not that unlikely. Actors put their careers in the hands of their managers -- remember, it was Lauren and Alexis' agents who told them they couldn't come to a deal and there would be no season 8. Amy said she had talked to Melissa's "team" -- so maybe she talked to them, they looked through Melissa's schedule, told ASP "nope" and that was it. 

Putting that tweet out in public like that is a bit weird though -- she had to have known the drama it would cause. But...Melissa has not spoken glowingly of the show like Lauren/Alexis/Kelly have. Maybe she just doesn't have that attachment to it, which is fine. And it's fair if she doesn't want to do it. Like I said before, her career, her business.

• Love 1

Looking at ASP's interview on McCarthy, it appears she wrote the new episodes assuming that McCarthy wouldn't be available as a big part of the story (and maybe she was right) and didn't bother to ask McCarthy prior to doing that.  Rather, after the whole thing was put together talked to McCarthy's people with the "if she can drop by" notion that she would write in a cameo for McCarthy.  So, I can see both sides telling the truth, McCarthy wasn't really asked to come back and be a part of the new storyline, and ASP has talked to McCarthy's people about a Sookie cameo.  I don't know anything about drama behind the scenes in the original run, but I could see how McCarthy could feel a bit insulted or hurt to not at least be asked up front.  Do I wish she hadn't said anything in social media (sure), but maybe she was also annoyed that ASP is saying to the press that she was too busy to do it, but the door is open for a cameo. 

This is all so passive aggressive.

Does ASP have major ego issues where she cannot ask an actor to return to a series?  If you want something, you ask.  You don't wait until someone says "I am available so write me a cameo", and you don't blame someone for not reading your mind.

Not that Melissa "needs" this but if she's telling the truth here I'd be very affronted/annoyed if I was her.  Then again, maybe I'm kind of passive aggressive too - I need to be invited to things in order to go.  How weird is it to expect Melissa to call Netflix and demand a part?  I honestly think that's very weird.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, Amy has no drive when it comes to getting these things done and she has special snowflake syndrome. We've seen that over the years.

It's bugged me throughout the years and at ATX, she's always made comments like "if Warner Bros wants to do it" and "if they approach me about it". And now "but if her people called me up". No one is going to approach you about anything unless you go out of your way and keep trying. Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell wanted a VM movie, so they made it happen themselves. And if she had the same level of commitment we would've gotten a continuation years ago.

Does she really expect Melissa's agents to ring her up one day on their own volition and say "she's available on this day"? That's the most unrealistic thing I've ever heard.

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 6

This bit about Melissa supposedly not being asked back was posted about on Jezebel.com, and one of the commenters to the article noted that the group at ATX had been openly vocal about missing Sean Gunn while saying nothing about Melissa, and that Jackson's actor when asked about what Jackson was up to said nothing about Sookie. I don't know whether or not that is an accurate reflection of the ATX vibe. Maybe there is some bad blood there, which would explain Melissa's weird response about how neither Sookie nor she have been invited back to Stars Hollow.

Edited by Eyes High

Do I have this right? (Going by character names to make it easier).

Confirmed: Lorelai, Luke, Rory, Emily, Paris, Lane, Michel, Gypsy, Kirk, Christopher (I think DS stated on social media that "Dad" would make an appearance)

Probably In: Finn

Would Like To Return, But No Confirmation: Jess, Doyle, Logan

Probably Out: Sookie

Milo Ventimiglia tweeted a photo of a few flesh-coloured briefs at NBC and 20th Century Fox about "Amazing wardrobe choices" for "Day 1/Scene 1." I assume this is in reference to his new show. When user emilyfrosts tweeted in what I assume was meant to be a joke "Jess' wardrobe for revival #confirmed," Ventimiglia tweeted back "Nope. Not yet"...for whatever that's worth.

To add one more:

Would Like to Return, But No Confirmation: Jackson, via the Gilmore Guys podcast. Now with all of the Sookie drama I wonder if he will be a sad omission by necessity? 

Also...

Any word on Taylor, Babette, Miss Patty or Morey?

Does ASP have major ego issues where she cannot ask an actor to return to a series? 

I hate to say it, but this is what I am wondering as well. I watched an interview Melissa did during promotion for "Spy" that was just before the ATX festival. She said something like, "oh yes, I heard that they are doing a reunion...good for them" when she was asked directly about Gilmore Girls. Very detached. She had a very neutral tone and at the time I assumed it was because she really wanted to focus on Spy and not distract the interview with GG discussion. Now I wonder if there was a deeper issue.

Dang it, do not bring drama to my happy, stress-free show!!! Can you imagine if twitter was around when ASP was booted before Season 7? Yikes.

• Love 2

Also...

I checked the Twitter feed for Ted Rooney (Morey) but he doesn't tweet and for Emily Kuroda (Mrs. Kim). She tweets but didn't seem to have responded to others asking her if Mrs. Kim would be back. 

To add one more:

Would Like to Return, But No Confirmation: Jackson, via the Gilmore Guys podcast. Now with all of the Sookie drama I wonder if he will be a sad omission by necessity? 

Also...

Assuming no more comment from anyone on this Melissa business, we may have to move Sookie to the "Definitely Out" column. Yikes.

Miss Patty's dance studio was one of the sets built, so I'd be surprised if Miss Patty didn't return.

• Love 1

Yeah, Amy has no drive when it comes to getting these things done and she has special snowflake syndrome. We've seen that over the years.

It's bugged me throughout the years and at ATX, she's always made comments like "if Warner Bros wants to do it" and "if they approach me about it". And now "but if her people called me up". No one is going to approach you about anything unless you go out of your way and keep trying. Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell wanted a VM movie, so they made it happen themselves. And if she had the same level of commitment we would've gotten a continuation years ago.

Does she really expect Melissa's agents to ring her up one day on their own volition and say "she's available on this day"? That's the most unrealistic thing I've ever heard.

If you read Scott Patterson's interview (linked a page or two back), he finally admitted that he said that "something was in the works" when asked about the revival early last year to stir things up and get things moving along.

Actual interview text:

"IBT: That’s amazing! You were the first one to speak about a potential revival and I was curious if Amy gave you a hard time for spilling that secret.

Patterson: Here’s the thing … I did a podcast and I was jut responding to a question that I always get and since the show has ended I always get these questions about a reboot. I always heard something, I heard there was something afoot, there’s always some rumor going around. And then I went and shot off my big mouth during a podcast. It was just sort of an innocent statement that I made. But everything grew from [the podcast] — it went viral! It caught us all by surprise over here. That just goes to show how rapidly the fans want a reboot.

IBT: I was wondering if that comment had anything to do with Netflix and Warner Brothers pushing the reboot.

Patterson: I was actually kind of sick of hearing about rumors. And I was like, “It’s time. Let’s go!” So I think I tried to move the ball forward a little bit.

IBT: It sounds to me like you spearheaded the “Gilmore Girls” reboot. You are the champion of your fans!

Patterson: You know, they were the champions of the show. So I tried to start a little fire and it ignited into this whole thing."

Perhaps ASP really was dragging her feet and SP finally took matters into his own hands? Kind of ballsy if this is true!

Edited by LostWithSawyer
  • Love 1

This is no more fleshed out but I saw it on Facebook and ran over here to share it with my Gilmore fam :)

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/02/gilmore-girls-revival-melissa-mccarthy

Well, if nothing else this mini-controversy is giving the revival a little more publicity:)

This bit about Melissa supposedly not being asked back was posted about on Jezebel.com, and one of the commenters to the article noted that the group at ATX had been openly vocal about missing Sean Gunn while saying nothing about Melissa, and that Jackson's actor when asked about what Jackson was up to said nothing about Sookie.

The vibe I've gotten about the GG cast is that they all seem to genuinely like each other and had a good time working together, but that some where closer then others. I know Keiko, Hep Alien and Sean Gunn remain very close, yet from her reddit it seems like she isn't that close to her tv best friend Alexis or Lauren. The main Gilmore clan were always speaking highly of each other. From pics I saw of ATX, Rory's former beaus and Scott Patterson appeared to be paling around. Maybe MM just never clicked with the rest of the cast on anything other then a professional level? It happens, somethimes.

MM seemed to get along great with everyone actually. If you watch the DVD's, there's a feature where she went around talking to everyone for the 100th episode and they all seemed to be on really good terms, especially her and Lauren. I think things have just gotten a bit muddled over the years and it has more to do with Amy/the business side of things rather than Melissa's interactions with the cast.

I think things have just gotten a bit muddled over the years and it has more to do with Amy/the business side of things rather than Melissa's interactions with the cast.

ASP does strike me as someone who'd be very difficult to deal with, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise of the communication between her and MM hasn't been great. This mini-drama has been pretty surprising, coming out of the GG cast; they've typically been one of the most respectful and classy casts, with little to no tension between any of them.

• Love 2

ASP does strike me as someone who'd be very difficult to deal with, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise of the communication between her and MM hasn't been great. This mini-drama has been pretty surprising, coming out of the GG cast; they've typically been one of the most respectful and classy casts, with little to no tension between any of them.

Yep. It's kind of sad to see honestly. First Melissa apparently wasn't invited to the ATX panel, and (even more strangely) they didn't mention her even once. And now this. To me, as an outsider, it looks like a "she's too busy for us now, so why should we even bother reaching out?" kind of situation, but I don't get that vibe from Melissa at all. I feel like maybe Amy & co are jumping to conclusions about Melissa and how unwilling she may be to do this, when that isn't the case at all.

• Love 2

Not knowing anything about any of these people. Kind of asking if Melissa might get a break in her busy schedule, seems more like another way of  saying we can't afford her full time, but if she could do a cameo maybe we could swing that. 

I can't really speculate on what happened, but I think it's possible that Melissa's people didn't feel it worth their time to ask if she wants to do a cameo. She probably gets a lot of offers for cameos. 

It does seem like a poor way of doing business though - on both sides. 

"We can't afford her" - can someone explain that to me though?  How do you know what Melissa would charge?  Big actors have been known to take way lesser salaries for passion projects.

I guess one of the speculations is that Netflix and ASP got together and said, here's what we think MM would demand, and she's not the HUGEST most necessary part of GG, so let's forget it?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

This mini-drama has been pretty surprising, coming out of the GG cast; they've typically been one of the most respectful and classy casts, with little to no tension between any of them.

Heh. You clearly missed all of the Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson rumors back in the day.

• Love 2

Heh. You clearly missed all of the Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson rumors back in the day.

Nah, I heard about their supposed beef though after the fact. And while I don't think their best friends, they've mostly spoken well of each other. This MM stuff seems a little more raw and at the surface.

Okay, so I don't know a lot about Amy, but from the interviews I've seen and read, she comes across as really full of herself. I find it baffling that she still refuses to watch most of season seven. I understand being bitter about the way things went down with the network (although I still don't fully understand the circumstances and who was really at fault there), but it just seems so odd to me that she lets this bitterness shine through in interviews. It's just not a classy move. But maybe I'm completely misinterpreting things.

I guess my question is: how does Amy feel about season six, looking back? Because in my (possibly unpopular) opinion, season six was far worse than season seven. Does Amy not recognize the possibility that she's the one who derailed the show? Or was she forced into some of those terrible writing decisions (I'm looking at you, April!) by the network? I'm honestly curious.

With that being said...I'm so excited for this revival. I found the season seven ending satisfying, but not so satisfying that I'm scared it might be ruined by what's to come, if that makes sense. Plus, season six left such a bad taste in my mouth, and even though season seven bounced back a little, I still feel like the show needs to redeem itself. 

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 4

Those rumors were crazy but they ended up having some kind of merit apparently, since she became a producer in season 7 and they barely shared any screentime together until the end of the season. Clearly she had a chat with David Rosenthal and made things go in that direction. And then she made those comments about how she liked the chemistry between her and David Sutcliffe more because they had "gone out together" in real life. Sheesh. Talk about awkward.

I guess my question is: how does Amy feel about season six, looking back? Because in my (possibly unpopular) opinion, season six was far worse than season seven. Does Amy not recognize the possibility that she's the one who derailed the show? Or was she forced into some of those terrible writing decisions (I'm looking at you, April!) by the network? I'm honestly curious.

She thinks it's brilliant and free of flaws, like everything else she's done. Amy doesn't admit to making mistakes.

• Love 1
I understand being bitter about the way things went down with the network (although I still don't fully understand the circumstances and who was really at fault there

She wanted the network to guarantee two more seasons, they said no, she walked.

Perhaps ASP really was dragging her feet and SP finally took matters into his own hands? Kind of ballsy if this is true!

Sounds to me like Scott Patterson is enjoying giving himself some credit.

I can't really speculate on what happened, but I think it's possible that Melissa's people didn't feel it worth their time to ask if she wants to do a cameo. She probably gets a lot of offers for cameos.

This is where I'm at. But I do think her tweet is weird, putting it out in public like that. Now she just opened herself up to a thousand more questions. Well, Amy said this, you didn't hear it from your agent or manager? Why not? Is Amy lying? Are you lying? Would you do the new episodes if Amy asked now?

The way things are going, a Behind the Music for the revival might be more interesting than a Behind the Music for the show's seven-season run. 

• Love 1

With all the talk in the this thread the past couple days of if Alexis/Rory had the baby or still is pregnant I'm going to say again. I'd be really surprised is she is or was pregnant in the first place. Her husband was outspoken and EMPHATIC he did not want children, there were plenty in the workd so he didnt need to perpetuate the species, he not so vain to desire a mini me or think his genes would benefit the world, and his lifestyle/personality wasn't the most compatible.

You know I kinda admired that about them and they were a good DINK couple. So him going on record about it with strong conviction and reasons then to flip the script in a year is bizarre to say the least.

She wanted the network to guarantee two more seasons, they said no, she walked.

I'm not sure if that is correct.  My understanding was she wanted to guarantee herself a two year deal with the network, so even if Gilmore Girls went off the air, she'd still have her deal and be able to develop something else while still getting paid.  I think at that point, the network would only offer her a one year deal. 

Edited by txhorns79
(edited)

The two-year deal they asked for wasn't really out of bounds/bratty behaviour on their part by any means. They had being doing the show for six seasons and were still on year-to-year deals which they re-signed every summer. Imagine not knowing if you'll be employed in 9 months. I don't blame them for wanting some job security, especially when they were working on one of the network's signature shows at that point and one of the only shows that would be going on to a brand new network.

The contract situation is only half of why they left though. The network really took advantage of the fact that Amy and Dan worked as hard as they did. I don't know any other show where the creators have as many writing/directing credits. They were working day in and day out and lacked the most basic things every other show has  - like a properly sized writing staff and an on-call director. And, like has been previously stated, the saddest part is the network ended up getting both of those things in season 7 after Amy and Dan left. 

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 4
I'm not sure if that is correct.  My understanding was she wanted to guarantee herself a two year deal with the network, so even if Gilmore Girls went off the air, she'd still have her deal and be able to develop something else while still getting paid.  I think at that point, the network would only offer her a one year deal.

Ah, okay, thanks. They say memory is the first thing to go.

And I never thought asking for two years was out of line. It was just business. But then, it was also just business when they hired someone else to do season 7 and so on. 

How does Amy feel about season six, looking back? Because in my (possibly unpopular) opinion, season six was far worse than season seven

I would want to know that too. I didn't hate season 6, but it's not as good as the other ones (and not as bad as 7). But if I remember correctly Amy basically threw it under the bus by having Chris and Loreli together. And the whole April thing came out of nowhere. And there was no reason for Luke to lie to Lorali about it. The relationship had been over for 12 years.

• Love 1

Maybe ASP didn't ask Melissa upfront about her availability because she didn't want her to say yes? Meaning ASP would have had to write a Sookie storyline into the show? 

Hear me out, ASP has 4 episodes to conclude the GG storyline...the heart of which is Richard/Emily/Lorelai/Rory/maybe Luke.  Sookie was a great supporting character that had a a presence on the show, but honestly, if we think back to the biggest episodes in the show, she wasn't there, even though there were Sookie storylines and episodes throughout the years.  Did she think she couldn't say to Melissa, that yes, there will be bit scenes here and there, but you won't be a big big part of the rest of the story I want to tell? 

So, she writes the four episodes she wants to conclude the show and they don't include Sookie.  But because Melissa is a huge star, and people will be asking, she offers her people that Melissa could come back in a cameo and tells the press that Melissa is much too busy for the show and that she, ASP, would have been taxed to fit Melissa into the schedule.  ASP:  

It was a character we knew we could not count on in terms of story, because [Melissa] just simply wouldn’t have that sort of time to carve out for us,” explains AS-P. “It simply would’ve been impossible. Planning around her crazypants schedule and her movies and her this and her that and Ghostbusters… I would just be sobbing in a corner for six months. That would be my whole life. But if her people called me up and said she’s free on these particular days or would love to drop by and just be in one scene, we would put her right in.

Imagine being McCarthy and reading that she (and the way ASP phrased it Sookie) couldn't have been counted on and that her presence would have made everything horrible, even though she wasn't asked to be there in the first place or if she could carve out a spot of time that made sense.  Again, this is only a theory.  And then, ASP goes on to lay it at Melissa's feet that even though she hasn't written a story for Sookie, it'd be cool if McCarthy called up and asked for a cameo and she'd figure out a place to find her for two minutes of the show.

I feel like phone calls should have happened awhile ago to prevent this mess (and by mess, I mean tiny footnote once the show comes out).

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

I think this all did happen a while ago. According to the interview with Ausiello Amy and Dan had working on the scripts for a while and talk of the revival started last summer so I'm sure feelers were put out to all the cast back then.

Okay, so I don't know a lot about Amy, but from the interviews I've seen and read, she comes across as really full of herself. I find it baffling that she still refuses to watch most of season seven. I understand being bitter about the way things went down with the network (although I still don't fully understand the circumstances and who was really at fault there), but it just seems so odd to me that she lets this bitterness shine through in interviews. It's just not a classy move. But maybe I'm completely misinterpreting things.

With that being said...I'm so excited for this revival. I found the season seven ending satisfying, but not so satisfying that I'm scared it might be ruined by what's to come, if that makes sense. Plus, season six left such a bad taste in my mouth, and even though season seven bounced back a little, I still feel like the show needs to redeem itself. 

Yes. Yes to all of this. I do think that people often forget that season 6 contained so many horrible plots and set up for the Chris/Lorelai reunion. 

And I agree that some of ASP's decisions are baffling. I am genuinely stunned that she still refuses to watch season 7. Now that the continuation is happening, she really needs to see it. I was shocked that she told Ausiello, "We had to sort of catch up on Season 7. We did a lot through asking our friends who are obsessive Gilmore fans and have watched every moment to talk us through what happened. And I’ve seen bits and pieces." See: http://tvline.com/2016/02/02/gilmore-girls-spoilers-netflix-revival-rory-dean-jess-logan/

Asking friends to explain what happened?? Being that stubborn is shameful. 

• Love 7
However, if I remember correctly, Melissa had already signed on to do the pilot for Samantha Who before they even knew whether Gilmore Girls was coming back for an 8th season. While that in itself was a smart move, since she would have been unemployed otherwise, you could also read into it that she wanted to leave Gilmore Girls after her 7-year-contract ended.

Honestly, my understanding is that is pretty common for an actor on a show that is on the bubble for returning to audition for pilots.  I don't think it means anything as to whether they like the show.  What would happen is that if Gilmore Girls had an 8th season, Melissa would not have been able to do Samantha Who, because generally she would have a contract that specified Gilmore Girls was first in line should that show be renewed.  

It's weird that Melissa McCarthy appears to be so detached from the show that was her start in the industry.

I have no particular insight into how MM feels about Gilmore Girls or her time on the show.  However, I can imagine a scenario where she simply considered it a job, and that job ended nearly a decade ago. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

Even though MM is a big star now, I always thought her returning to the revival would be the kind of thing that would ingratiate her to her fans and make her seem like even more of a class act then I'm sure she naturally is.

I'm super confused because in my mind this definitely isn't about the money. I get that Amy couldn't count on Sookie being in all four movies, because why would MM agree to take a massive salary cut and be a key player in the show when she has other bigger projects already on her docket...

... but I definitely would have thought Amy could get a hold of MM's phone number herself, perhaps through the other actors, and have a nice friendly discussion and make it clear Sookie could be off doing something else and return for a cameo in the last movie, or something like that.

I mean, if Luke and Lorelai get married and Sookie isn't there, it is going to be jarring as hell!

• Love 1

The two-year deal they asked for wasn't really out of bounds/bratty behaviour on their part by any means. They had being doing the show for six seasons and were still on year-to-year deals which they re-signed every summer. Imagine not knowing if you'll be employed in 9 months. I don't blame them for wanting some job security, especially when they were working on one of the network's signature shows at that point and one of the only shows that would be going on to a brand new network.

The contract situation is only half of why they left though. The network really took advantage of the fact that Amy and Dan worked as hard as they did. I don't know any other show where the creators have as many writing/directing credits. They were working day in and day out and lacked the most basic things every other show has  - like a properly sized writing staff and an on-call director. And, like has been previously stated, the saddest part is the network ended up getting both of those things in season 7 after Amy and Dan left. 

This seems like par for the course when it comes to TV showrunning.  You're always fighting the battle against cancellation and not having a job.  And from what little I've seen of Amy's thoughts regarding season 7, It doesn't sound like she respects other people's ability to write her characters.  I'm not sure she was actually willing to part ways with the writing and directing.  I think of her as kind of like Dan Harmon in that respect.

Edited by MV007
  • Love 2

It appears Kathleen Wilhoite (Liz Danes) was not asked back.

@melissamccarthy Hah!Well, then I'm in good company. U rule, Melissa. I wasn't asked back either, tho, I think for entirely diffrnt reasons. - @RealKathleen
Edited by Mirage

This seems like par for the course when it comes to TV showrunning.  You're always fighting the battle against cancellation and not having a job.  And from what little I've seen of Amy's thoughts regarding season 7, It doesn't sound like she respects other people's ability to write her characters.  I'm not sure she was actually willing to part ways with the writing and directing.  I think of her as kind of like Dan Harmon in that respect.

Oh exactly. I mean it has happened with cast members of The Middle because they didn't know if their show was returning this season because of last minute renewal and the same happened back in the day of ER. However, other show runners like AS-P have gotten that kind of thought process many times, when they leave a show due to creative difficulties and then ignore what happened before. Others roll with it if there are revivals like BeverlyHills 90210, Mystery Science Theatre 300 or Star Trek.

I wasn't asked back either, tho, I think for entirely diffrnt reasons.

Seems odd that ASP would leave Liz out of the revival when it seems like it's pretty much all hands on deck for the second banana characters otherwise. I wonder what the "entirely different reasons" were. Obviously, KW's not an expensive multimillion dollar star like MM, but why wouldn't she be asked back? I don't see any obvious storyline reasons for leaving out Liz, even if Jess' storyline was the casualty of the budgetary restrictions as some suspect. Does she have beef with ASP? The tweeters chiding her tweet for being "passive aggressive" seem to think so.

Edited by Eyes High
Does she have beef with ASP? The tweeters chiding her tweet for being "passive aggressive" seem to think so.

The way that's written, it sounds like she has a beef.  Maybe they had some kind of falling out? 

The way that's written, it sounds like she has a beef.  Maybe they had some kind of falling out? 

Is there a chance that in the intervening years she has come to realize that Liz was far from a fan favourite? Maybe this comment is not a passive-aggressive comment towards ASP but towards GG fans?

It's not like I was a big fan of the Liz character at all, honestly, but whoa.  I still think that's "Dry"... sorry can't find a non-slang way of saying this. 

I don't think fan favouritism or whatever has much to do with the Liz call, it certainly has zero to do with the Sookie call, because Sookie IS a fan favourite, right?  It just seems like ASP is a very intense and weird person.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

This is just my gut feeling about what's happening now, including everything baking since ATX (and some random podcast listening of various GG actors over the years): there's some space between what GG fans absolutely love about the series and  why ASP thinks it's so popular. I think a lot of fans loved the whole package, and appreciated almost every single person in the cast, and were hoping to drop back into that world with the revival while ASP thinks it's specifically her writing and her favorite characters that people respond to. And I can absolutely picture ASP thinking/saying, "I don't care if so-and-so or so-and-so is on the show now. It's MY show and MY writing!" without realizing that the secondary or tertiary characters were, in fact, more beloved in some cases, than her leads. It reminds me of the Bunheads' panel where she, Sutton and Kelly sat close together and spoke a lot, and Stacey/Truly was literally yards away from them and had no mic of her own. To me it looks like Amy and her leads have an experience that's quite different from everyone else involved.

I've wondered for quite a while about MM and GG since there has been such a deluge of MM interviews and articles, with really none citing her time on GG. The intial impression I got was that it was being spun that she was basically newly discovered at the age of 40, which is perhaps a more desirable way of introducing someone into the mainstream than noting they were a beloved character on a popular show for 7 years. I did think it odd though that MM really never mentioned the role at all, and almost looked displeased during the Spy interview when someone else finally brought it up. Now, I'm pretty convinced it's that MM didn't like something about that experience (and there's a whole of evidence of that in this forum alone), and maybe felt underutilized at GG and doesn't want to give it a shout out. I've always felt some sympathy for the show's characters who were written as close to L & R, because they became little more than plot devices whose own story lines became embarrassingly one-note and stagnant early on. Maybe MM grew tired of her character only baking and being pregnant, and having various pregnancy related "crazy woman" story lines season after season after season? 

The other thing I've recently thought about is what MM's personality really is since she's only recently become an actor people are talking to and about so it's not like there's been a lot of press to follow over the years with her. She's often in roles as the sweet, funny and generous best friend, and probably been relegated to cheerful IRL, as is almost always the case with anyone in entertainment who is overweight. But that's no reason to think she's the selfless-friend-of-Lorelai type in actuality, and she's not in the position of needing to be grateful for ASP's interest if she really didn't/isn't feeling it. To me, MM comes across as very grounded and genuinely hilarious, but other than that, who knows? She never mentions having worked as an assistant to Jenny (as far as I know) and neither makes reference to the other which is a little odd given they're related, so perhaps she is just over certain parts of her past where she was relegated to second or third best?

It's wild to think of what the original GG would have been like with social media. I'm not totally sure it would have lasted or been as much of a hit. I suspect Amy's stuff would have distracted and she (and Dan) would not have come out as the wounded party with the WB in quite the way she did then. it almost makes sense that the not-great feelings are starting to leak because now there is a medium for it.

• Love 2

Is there a chance that in the intervening years she has come to realize that Liz was far from a fan favourite? Maybe this comment is not a passive-aggressive comment towards ASP but towards GG fans?

Could be. Really, though, just like the other characters, Liz is ASP's creation. A significant character like Liz being disliked by fans never stopped ASP from keeping that character around or bringing the character back (Christopher, April, etc.). If Liz is cut, I doubt it has anything to do with fannish disapproval of the character.

Also, let's be real. While there are few characters who seem to be as despised as Liz, a lot of the characters--most of them, even--are unpopular with a significant section of the fandom: Kirk is unfunny and supremely irritating, Luke is an ambulatory ball of hateful negativity who sucks at relationships and isn't all that hot if we're being honest, Lane takes advantage of her mother's generosity while whining about how hard done by she is, Lane's mother is a controlling abuser, Lorelai is a rude, judgmental, self-centered asshole who thinks she's charming and adorable, Emily is a manipulative, classist witch and an irredeemable monster, Richard is a shitty husband and a terrible father, Paris is a nasty, insufferable bitch, Rory is a spoiled, selfish princess, Dean is a jealous control freak, Jess is an obnoxious little shit at best and an abuser at worst, Logan is a good-for-nothing, privileged douchebag, Christopher is a deadbeat dad par excellence and a garbage human being, April is completely unnecessary and annoying as shit, etc. etc. However, I doubt that has influenced ASP's writing choices.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

Also, let's be real. While there are few characters who seem to be as despised as Liz, a lot of the characters--most of them, even--are unpopular with a significant section of the fandom: Kirk is unfunny and supremely irritating, Luke is an ambulatory ball of hateful negativity who sucks at relationships and isn't all that hot if we're being honest, Lane takes advantage of her mother's generosity while whining about how hard done by she is, Lane's mother is a controlling abuser, Lorelai is a rude, judgmental, self-centered asshole who thinks she's charming and adorable, Emily is a manipulative, classist witch and an irredeemable monster, Richard is a shitty husband and a terrible father, Paris is a nasty, insufferable bitch, Rory is a spoiled, selfish princess, Dean is a jealous control freak, Jess is an obnoxious little shit at best and an abuser at worst, Logan is a good-for-nothing, privileged douchebag, Christopher is a deadbeat dad par excellence and a garbage human being, April is completely unnecessary and annoying as shit, etc. etc.

This made me laugh so hard I had to stop everything I was doing for 10 minutes straight, and then I read it again and am back in the cycle! As much as I adore the show, your observations are side-splittingly accurate.

• Love 6

Kirk is unfunny and supremely irritating, Luke is an ambulatory ball of hateful negativity who sucks at relationships and isn't all that hot if we're being honest, Lane takes advantage of her mother's generosity while whining about how hard done by she is, Lane's mother is a controlling abuser, Lorelai is a rude, judgmental, self-centered asshole who thinks she's charming and adorable, Emily is a manipulative, classist witch and an irredeemable monster, Richard is a shitty husband and a terrible father, Paris is a nasty, insufferable bitch, Rory is a spoiled, selfish princess, Dean is a jealous control freak, Jess is an obnoxious little shit at best and an abuser at worst, Logan is a good-for-nothing, privileged douchebag, Christopher is a deadbeat dad par excellence and a garbage human being, April is completely unnecessary and annoying as shit, etc. etc.

Well sure if you are going to be honest.

• Love 1