Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Counting One More

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Jessa and Ben have dinner with friends who have been through the adoption process

From TLC:

Jill and Derrick adjust to the challenges of their new life in Central America. Then it's finally time to meet Baby Seewald and find out if it's a boy or a girl. When labor complications arise, Jessa is rushed to the hospital.

I watched the end again where the family invades them. Ewww, I feel like spraying Lysol on the TV screen after seeing the baby get passed around to all the kiddos. Just yuck, poor Spurgey being rubbed against their (germ laden) clothes. I hope he has a good immune system.

I like how Anna thinks a new baby is God's way of making everything right again. Spurgey's birth is supposed to cancel out Joshley's wrongdoings. Keep thinking that Anna.

• Love 14

My thoughts:

Lots of conversations about adopting.  I'll bet both Jill and Jessa won't give birth again anytime soon, if ever.  

I don't enjoy watching Jill and Derick struggling to speak/understand Spanish.  The boot-buying segment seemed five minutes long.

There's no way I'd let dozens of people hover over and hold my newborn.  That scene with all the kids grabbing for the baby stressed me out just watching it.

Anna has a lot bottled up.  I felt bad for her when she got emotional talking about the memories in her former house.

Commercials:  Nivea, Mucinex, Pro-active, and a couple of others.  Like the last two weeks, most of the ads were for the TLC line-up of shows.

• Love 6

Poor Anna. She's trying so hard to keep her faith, but it seems she's really struggling.

Lots of blood during that birth!

The Dillard scenes bored me. I was much more interested in the Seewalds.

I like how Anna thinks a new baby is God's way of making everything right again. Spurgey's birth is supposed to cancel out Joshley's wrongdoings. Keep thinking that Anna.

Funny you say that. I forced my poor mother to watch this with me and she only knows of the Duggars in a peripheral way. After Anna made that remark, my mother said "well I guess you'll just have to have another baby to keep up, now won't you." When Anna was standing in the kitchen while everyone hovered around Jessa, you could practically see the wheels turning in her head. I predict she'll be pregnant again before summer.

• Love 8

Could Bin have looked less interested during the labor?  Wowzers.. He was checked OUT.  Way to be supportive, Bin.  Zero emotion was eery - not even a flicker of emotion when she was bleeding out and the ambulance showed up.  He was there with his backpack, ready to go.  Umm - you have a newborn and your wife is in need of serious medical attention!! Maybe you should be trying to look a little concerned? 

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 8

Could Bin have looked less interested during the labor?  Wowzers.. He was checked OUT.  Way to be supportive, Bin.  Zero emotion was eery - not even a flicker of emotion when she was bleeding out and the ambulance showed up.  He was there with his backpack, ready to go.  Umm - you have a newborn??  Maybe you should be trying to look a little concerned? 

As I said in the other thread, I think Bin was trying not to throw up.

Both Bin and Jessa got a lot more than they bargained for.  They had no idea.  Maybe those condoms won't look so evil in the future.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 14

Derrickdillard looks wayyyyyyy better now. I can see it's just a process. I prefer the scenes with him and Muffin and Iz. I know they are grifters for Christ and all but at least they are doing something in a place i have never been to , so i find that mildly interesting. Plus, Miss Cathy. I like her and find her genuine.

• Love 8

As much as Jessa bugs me, I had tears in my eyes and was cringing watching the labor and birth. Labor sucks balls, nothing about it doesn't suck besides the end result. Lol. Poor thing.

You and me both. I could feel my chest tightening and that never happened with any of the other Duggar births. When Spurge came out and you could see all the blood starting to pool, it was awful. I can only imagine the repair job Jessa needed in the ER. The Duggar girls need to give up on homebirth before someone dies.

Could Bin have looked less interested during the labor? Wowzers.. He was checked OUT. Way to be supportive, Bin. Zero emotion was eery - not even a flicker of emotion when she was bleeding out and the ambulance showed up. He was there with his backpack, ready to go. Umm - you have a newborn and your wife is in need of serious medical attention!! Maybe you should be trying to look a little concerned?

Reason #6,897,243 why dimwitted teenage boys shouldn't get married and have kids. I'm surprised he wasn't playing XBox while Jessa was trying to push out a ten pound baby.

• Love 21

BORING! BORING! BORING! Sorry...what did they do? Other than that they have already given the whole show away in dribs and drabs from beginning to end in their pitiful attempts to keep themselves in the news.

Joshie's extracurricular activities have indeed taken their toll. Crunchy Mullet has aged considerably but her face looks thinner...she didn't have that usual dopey look on her face and her normal crazed Xanax stare wasn't there. I would say she looked even more lifeless behind those eyes, but I do think her weight loss is flattering to her.

Watching Anna choke up was hard...you could tell that she was very uncomfortable and was having a hard time holding it together. Another instance where I put snark aside was how relieved I was that Jessa got through that scary birth okay. Anna's weight loss does become her though anyone could tell she probably felt like hamburger after everything she's been thru.

I was ready to throw something at the TV if I heard that word "special" one more friggin' time, though. "Walking through" and sweet season of life really grated on my nerves as well.

The other thing that cracked me up from the second episode was the Duggettes proclaiming Sierra to be a "party girl"....what does thmat mean in the Fundy world anyway?

• Love 2

I'll give Bin a pass(never thought I would say that) but he's basically a kid who has never been exposed to anything in real life. So he was probably clueless, which is after all, his baseline.

Scared to death and without a clue. And I"m sure Ms Theresa's fabulous prenatal classes covered all this crap.

• Love 5

Derrickdillard looks wayyyyyyy better now. I can see it's just a process. I prefer the scenes with him and Muffin and Iz. I know they are grifters for Christ and all but at least they are doing something in a place i have never been to , so i find that mildly interesting. Plus, Miss Cathy. I like her and find her genuine.

Really I felt the same. My favorite part was Derrick, Israel, and Miss Cathy sloshing around in the marketplace. 

• Love 4

My thoughts:

Lots of conversations about adopting.  I'll bet both Jill and Jessa won't give birth again anytime soon, if ever.  

I don't enjoy watching Jill and Derick struggling to speak/understand Spanish.  The boot-buying segment seemed five minutes long.

There's no way I'd let dozens of people hover over and hold my newborn.  That scene with all the kids grabbing for the baby stressed me out just watching it.

Anna has a lot bottled up.  I felt bad for her when she got emotional talking about the memories in her former house.

Commercials:  Nivea, Mucinex, Pro-active, and a couple of others.  Like the last two weeks, most of the ads were for the TLC line-up of shows.

I also saw Dunkin' Donuts and Honda - very surprised about both.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

Derrick didn't realize he'd get soaking wet walking in the rain? It may not be verbatim but that's essentially what he like, said. Personality and brain of a speed bump.

Oh and an ad for Jeb! but political ads overwhelming now at primary season.

• Love 8

I have a feeling this show is already back on as a regular series and TLC just hasn't made the announcement yet. The ending of tonight's episode felt like a "to be continued" not a three-and-done kind of deal. It seems like the advertisers are creeping back in and now that the initial brouhaha over the specials has passed, they figure the public has lost interest in protesting the family.

• Love 8

Isn't Bin the eldest of his siblings? Surely he was aware of some of his mom's birthing experiences? I wonder if the Seewalds were into home birth.

Maybe Bin's mother went to the hospital, had an epidural, and a couple of days later showed up at home with a cute baby wrapped in a pink or blue blanket.

• Love 10

I give Bin a pass too. I saw him as keeping his sh*t together and not reacting to a very trying situation that would cause many to come unhinged. He's very young and I though he did a great job.

I STRONGLY DISLIKE JIM BOB. I wish those two awful people (i.e., JB and M) weren't in any part of the three specials.

I think Jana is lovely. She's my fave.

• Love 7

All that blood during the birth, sweet Jesus. What is it going to take for these people to realize that a successful home birth, while a lovely idea in theory, just isn't in the cards for them? 

Edited by Spacecow
  • Love 8

A death. That's what it's going to take - a death. And possibly not even then - sorry to say.

Death just makes the mother a martyr; death doesn't scare them, if it did, Michelle would have never had 19 kids. 

Maybe this will help the next generation, but I'm doubtful especially if it's true that Jill is pregnant again. 

As to the comment about Bin having any idea how his younger siblings came into the world; as a mom of 2, my eldest has zero clue how her sister came into this world and I'll keep it that way until she's ready to become a mom her own. As a fellow mama of the pushing a 10 lb baby out, it's no fun---and I agree, a home birth is likely unrealistic it's not impossible. I do expect this to change Jessa's third trimester plans for future babies; they do have ultrasounds for a reason and I had a 3D with both of my kids for size reasoning and they were insanely accurate. There is no reason why Jill and Jessa shouldn't be doing this with an OB. 

• Love 6

I think everyone - EVERYONE - called it absolutely on-point that Michelle, in her endless, inexplicable race to produce Duggar #20, even after the debacle of Josie, was going to go for the gold NO MATTER WHAT.

It's horrifyingly obvious to me that the possibility/reality of a dead child and/or dead mother is simply not a deterrent to the maternal antics of the Gothardites. Michelle lost little Jubilee because of her refusal to listen to the doctors that told her, repeatedly, to stop with the babies and, perhaps, be content with the NINETEEN she already had, but no. There can never be too many flowers in the garden, right... ???

I would never, ever snark if another loss occurred, or gloat, or say "I told you so", but there's certainly something to be said for those of us that saw Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Scott Weiland, etc, etc, on their way out before they actually gave up the ghost, but with the Duggars, they're flirting with disaster via the clean, Godly, holy state of motherhood.

When did "mother", to them, become a synonym for "martyr"... ???

Your completely right. It makes me angry, I do know a woman who died in childbirth. She was a cousin

of one of my really good friends who died giving birth to her third child. Despite what the Duggars seem

to think. Its not a great thing. Its horrible. Its  a moment that should be a happy moment turned into a horrible

tragedy. The children including a newborn have no mother, her devastated parents, and her husband

destroyed by sudden death of his wife in childbirth. Its not a wonderful thing, Duggars. 

• Love 4

I watched the end again where the family invades them. Ewww, I feel like spraying Lysol on the TV screen after seeing the baby get passed around to all the kiddos. Just yuck, poor Spurgey being rubbed against their (germ laden) clothes. I hope he has a good immune system.

And Jessa was like "Y'all washed you hands, right?" I would've had them go to the sink and wash them right then and there so I knew they'd done it.

• Love 4

Really I felt the same. My favorite part was Derrick, Israel, and Miss Cathy sloshing around in the marketplace.

If that was the highlight of the show doesn't that just tell us all what a bore this series is...were it not for the snark.

Found it hilarious the Dullards didn't really do their research on the climate in Central America, Derick walking to school like that for weeks before it occurred to him he'd need rain boots...The quote "doesn't have the sense to come in from the rain" was all I could think of to describe these dumbed down twits.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 20

I generally like Derrick and find him to be one of the more down-to-Earth people in this family, but what the hell was that comment about "We're one person"?? Does he really think of Jill as just his second half? If my husband said that, I would smack him. Your wife gets her own vote, asshole.

I feel really badly for Anna. She doesn't even know when he really started cheating on her, but because we all know this has been a pattern with Josh being dysfunctional and sexually screwed up. I really hope she waits years before getting pregnant again.

Did anyone else notice that Jessa and Ben's douchey friends clearly got pregnant again as soon as they adopted? A child adopted from another country needs time and attention, and its obvious that they got pregnant with that new baby as soon as the adoption was safely permanent. Quantity not quality, apparently.

Jana and Joy need their own lives, with college or jobs and social activities. Its so sad to watch them. And Jana is 25!!! Way too old to still be doing nothing.

• Love 13

I'm going to scream and rant if either Jill or Jessa gets to adopt. I admit I have no objectivity to this situation, as someone starting the international adoption process herself. But knowing all the stringent requirements the U.S. has for the process, not to mention the intense and varied requirements of all the possible foreign countries from which one can adopt, I just cannot wrap my head around how either of these couples can ever actually meet the requirements. Not only the proof of income issue--which is a big one for these jobless goobers (especially if the show is truly canceled)--but most countries require you to be 30+ in order to adopt. It's a long, detailed, intense process; you don't just walk into an orphanage and "pick a few out" as Jill so tastelessly stated. I'm hoping it's all just talk. I mean, without some kind of birth control, Jessa's never going to remain unpregnant long enough to complete an adoption. The baby would have to be 9+ months old, and then they'd have to remain not pregnant for the rest of the 10-36 months that an adoption could take. That's potentially 2-4 years of no new babies; either a long period of abstinence or birth control.

On a less ranty note, I really do wish all future happiness for Jana and Joy. They deserve it, but right now they seem miserable.

• Love 20

What I found interesting was when Cathy said Derick, Dan, and Izzy were her family aka blood relatives. I  did not feel love between her and Jill or even her and Derick. Sadly, she was being used by the two nitwits because God forbid, they may need to learn to adjust being in another country with a baby by themselves. 

This episode was the least boring for me. I thought Jill seemed to actually understand Spanish a little this episode. Derrick now seems dumber than a box of rocks, they make a good intellectual pair.  Jill was hindered by her horrid lack of education, she could have been very smart. Derrick just seems mentally slow. Maybe he got fired from Walmart cause he sucked at accounting and also was out all the time. They have the foresight and planning of teenagers. Dumb teenagers.

I felt bad for Jessa but maybe this is a wake up call that the gothard life isn't for them. I can see Jessa steering the ship away from quiverfull. I also call bullshit on the adoption talk, but I think she ( like Jill) will abstain from pregnancy .

With a 10 lb baby and all that blood I bet Jessa had a 4th degree tear, I doubt she will be knocking down the door to have another natural birth.

EDIT: I was surprised that Jill flat out said she wasn't knocked up. Mainly because I thought she was

Did anyone else catch the " everyone always asks" lol like you have any right to privacy in regards to pregnancy JIll...please. You can't spam us to death with your weekly bump pics and go on the cover of people to announce you are 8 weeks pg and then be surprised people ask you!!!!! 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 4

Michelle had the sense to use doctors and hospitals for her deliveries. Interestingly, the pioneer sisters Jessa and Jill chose a midwife who had to slip out the back door when the EMTs arrived. There was a time when personnel who provided abortions to women who wanted and needed them also had to slip out the back door when authorities showed up. The Duggars would be happy to take us back to those days too. I couldn't get that image out of my mind when watching these supercilious know-it-alls.

• Love 24

Does anyone know if there is an age limit on adoption. Would they consider someone like Jim Bob and Michelle too old to adopt a baby? If they consider 30 the minimum age is there a max age?

It might depend on agency and also the age of the child. I hope they wouldn't allow 70 year olds to adopt a toddler but I don't see why someone in their 60s couldnt adopt a 15 year old or something?

I think when it comes to private agencies they all have different rules- I was surprised to hear the newborn rule ( though it makes sense) as I know a family who was in the middle of the adoption process- birth mom was pregnant and then they got pregnant accidentally after 6 YEARS of infertility. They were still technically able to adopt the new baby ( and they were willing) but the birth mom changed her mind. 

I didn't mind the TH of just MEchelle giving us the details of the transfusion because she was by herself. No Boob kissing her or trying to grope her or telling us MEchelle was a teenage hussy. Does anyone else think Boob has gained weight? I noticed on the Bonus footage of the baby shower when they had the dads drink milk out of the bottles. I guess he's eating his way through Joshley's troubles.

It would be interesting to find out who Jessa saw for her prenatal care or didn't she bother? (You know, she IS Jessa Duggar Seewald & God does watch over them more.) You would have thought they would have shown them going to an appt vs. putting on a crib bed sheet. If the midwife or whoever didn't want to be filmed, they could have shown Benessa coming back from an appt & explaining how it went. I'm really thinking Jill did her prenatal care. Anyone agree?

• Love 5

The Mustard Sweater made the rounds yet again! Even on Anna, who has her own clothes rack crammed into her corner of the dorm.

During the Baby Name Reveal, I got the very distinct impression that Benessa had fought long and hard about the decision to name the baby Spurgeon. Jessa seemed bitter and even angry when she asked Ben if he was sure he'd made up his mind. Maybe Jessa even had little say in naming her own baby! She seemed embarrassed to say Spurgeon.

My take away of the show is all anyone talks or thinks about are babies.

Who the hell labors in a skin-tight purple dress???!while being wheeled away on the gurney, I saw that Jessa was soaked in blood around her hips.

Jessa must have limited cupboard space. Her kitchen counters were just littered with random items.

Anna's super bananad curls creep me out. It's like she's really trying to be ultra Gothard. She never wore her hair in such an extreme style before and we have seen recent pictures of Anna with very straight hair where she looks much more current and less Victorian.

• Love 6

During the Baby Name Reveal, I got the very distinct impression that Benessa had fought long and hard about the decision to name the baby Spurgeon. Jessa seemed bitter and even angry when she asked Ben if he was sure he'd made up his mind. Maybe Jessa even had little say in naming her own baby! She seemed embarrassed to say Spurgeon.

If I remember correctly, it was several days before little Spurge's name was made public. That scene spoke volumes about that behind-the-scenes drama. Jessa was in snappy mode when she told Bin to announce the name, and Bin could barely mumble it out. I wonder if the Duggar and Seewald families didn't get into the name fray too. Bin won the name round, but I bet he pays for his victory in many little ways.

• Love 10

I'm glad the mom told Jessa that the adoption process & getting their adopted daughter settled in wasn't easy. This is mean, but if either couple does adopt, I hope they end up with a child that doesn't adjust well to their new family. I've watched enough Dateline, Dr. Phil & other shows showing the results of adoptions gone awry. Benessa & Jerick think it will be all rainbows & butterflies (instant football team, per Ben) & don't realize things can go bad, including marriages. I'm thinking Jessa thinks adoption is an easy way to start her own J'slaves.

I like how Jill made it seem that Izzy will hold her back in being a midwife "in the field." We have to remind her there are working mothers in the world, including her MIL. It seems to be the way in Guatemala cuz when they were at Mama Carmen's orphanage, Jill explained some of the kids were there for the day which I took as the orphanage was also a daycare center.

This is totally changing topic but am I the only one who doesn't wear an apron while cooking? Every time the Duggar girls, including Anna, are shown in the kitchen, they are sporting aprons. Is it a Gothard requirement? The one Jill was wearing reminded me of the kind my larger grandmother wore back in the day. I remember my mother occasionally wearing the kind that just tied around the waist & somewhere along the way she stopped wearing one. I guess it's a personal preference but it just seems like it's a Duggar rule. It's not like they wear expensive clothing that needs protection.

• Love 3

but I bet he pays for his victory in many little ways.

I hope so.  If someone had coerced me into saddling my child with a name like that, or any name I really hated, I'd have found a multitude of ways to make that person's life a living hell.  Well of course this assumes that I could have been forced to do something like that - which so wouldn't have happened. 

• Love 11

What I found interesting was when Cathy said Derick, Dan, and Izzy were her family aka blood relatives. I  did not feel love between her and Jill or even her and Derick. Sadly, she was being used by the two nitwits because God forbid, they may need to learn to adjust being in another country with a baby by themselves. 

My children are adopted and one time my son said to me that HIS son (my grandson) was his only blood relative.  Does not mean that he doesn't love his father and me or the rest of the family.   It's just a statement of fact that I think other adoptees may relate to.

• Love 4

Could Bin have looked less interested during the labor?  

Bin doesn't ever look interested in anything as far as I can see. The kid is sloooowww. And boring. And childish.  I want to see this marriage 5 yrs. down the road. And yea, I agree with the poster that said Jessa's kitchen was a mess. She doesn't work so at least keep your house clean, woman!

Derrik- wow is he thin. Anybody know why the weight loss? He looks positively sickly. He did mention in one episode about trying to gain weight. And why the braces? Did he start analyzing his looks on TeeVee and decide he didn't like his teeth? 

Why is Anna living in that commune? What happened to her and Josh's house? I wonder why wouldn't she go back to her own family? So many things just don't make sense with this crew. 

I get the feeling that all the older kids are so disgusted with Josh. It won't ever be the same with him, no matter how they try to spin their forgiveness. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6

Wow. Jessa got a good edit. Just a mere minute from the waist up and lying in bed....nothing too gruesome.

Contrast that with Anna who was on the toilet moaning and we got to hear the midwife ask her if she "had to go potty". Josh napping. More Anna groaning. nna's delivery felt like an initiation rite into the Duggar cult. Let's exploit her and see how much she can take. Little did we know moaning on the toilet was a treat compared to what Josh was involved in. He was probably exhausted from the all night porn and dang it, Anna went into labor...film crew arrives. poor Joshie.

I also noticed, correct me if I'm wrong, that Jessa's footage was shot on a cell phone? No film crew. I was wondering if that was because TLC was unsure about ever filming a Duggar again. Looks like Michelle shot the footage hoping that they could tempt TLC with it.

I thought Ben did OK. He is young and inexperienced. He was probably really scared and was just holding it together on a thin thread himself. He did look aloof but I bet if he allowed himself to be emotional he would've crapped his pants or thrown up.

Hey, at least he wasn't filmed sleeping like Josh.

I had a 10 pounder (who is now 6'6") and the delivery was a bloody mess. 40 stitches down there to repair.

My husband and I both said "BARBARIC" while watching Jessa in so much pain.

For the first time, I think Jessa was genuinely smiling and didn't seem so sour.

• Love 9

The amount of blood made me gasp.  Why are Jill and Jessa so negligent when it comes to their children's lives? Also, Bin wants 15 sons? Does that mean that Jessa will have to raise her own kids? If they have no girls to do it for them? I hope this was the last we see of Jill, Jessa and the idiot husbands.

• Love 16

If that was the highlight of the show doesn't that just tell us all what a bore this series is...were it not for the snark.

Found it hilarious the Dullards didn't really do their research on the climate in Central America, Derick walking to school like that for weeks before it occurred to him he'd need rain boots...The quote "doesn't have the sense to come in from the rain" was all I could think of to describe these dumbed down twits.

I noticed that both Cathy and Jill were wearing sandals, so even though it's rainy it must not be cold. Couldn't Derick just wear some sandals too, that wouldn't get soaked?

• Love 1