Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E14: Season Finale

• Start Topic

I'm glad the season is over. I'm going to miss Tom as well as the Alek/Lindsay, Sharna/Nick, and Alexa/Mark partnerships, but overall I've enjoyed previous seasons more.  

The Alek/Carlos bromance clip made me laugh and even like Carlos. See the power of editors!

Congrats to Bindi, she was the most consistent throughout the competition and put her all into it.  I wasn't as wowed by her as others because of the constant fawning and her perfect score for her Dirty Dancing dance. All things considered, she did deserve the win based on how she danced rather than being the daughter of Steve Irwin. 

Next season needs more Artem! I loved seeing all of the pro numbers during the finale.  I wish that they had more quality pro dances throughout the season.  Just can some of the fluff they do during the Monday night show and allow one pro dancer a week to choreograph.   

I liked seeing Shaka Khan in her element singing and glad that they didn't have her dance.  The sound was a little off, but she looked happy and in control. I'm wondering if Keo will be a teacher again or stick to the troupe. He seems happier when he is dancing with the other pros and looked thrilled that he was front and center as the featured male dancer during Shaka singing "I'm Every Woman."

I hope Karina is back and gets a real contender. I agree with all that I'm glad Len is returning next season. 

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 4

I didn't watch one minute of the show this season - I didn't know most of the stars, plus it seemed like the previous season had just ended; one problem I have with DWTS is that it doesn't ever give me a chance to miss it. Anyway, I knew back when the cast was announced that Derek and Bindi would win. I'm glad to see I didn't miss anything by not watching after all.

• Love 3

It was a fun finale that seemed like a Christmas special.  I like watching the pros dance and having some singing performances.  It would have been better if they had different pros choreographing the pro routines.  Also, I agree that the Grove had mic/sound problems.  The Chaka/Andy duet was mostly flat and they are good singers.

So glad that Len is coming back next season.  There was a lot of rule breaking this season and a lot of couples did it.  So I'm not going to say it was any certain couple.

Congratulations to Bindi and Derek!!  I don't think she was the best dancer since that's subjective.  There were certain dances that I enjoyed more.  However, she was the most consistent dancer and she had lots of energy in her dances.  She was also fearless.  I think she could have won with another pro too because of her personality.  She was also great with Val during switch-up week.  It's too bad that Mark, who consistently gets minors, didn't get Bindi this season.  He could have won another mirror ball.  But I also enjoyed her partnership with Derek.  You can tell that Derek really enjoyed having her as a partner.

I had to ignore the judges' comments on Bindi because it was getting to be too much.  That's not Bindi's fault.  However, she could have benefited from more constructive criticism.  Does she dance like a pro?  No, that means that you can give improvement pointers.  For example, in her fusion dance last night, she did an Argentine tango.  I have the same comments that I previously made when she first did an AT.  She needs to work on her extensions and her legs/core need to be stronger.  Her legs weren't always floppy but sometimes, they were.  She also dances heavy.  But since these things were never pointed out, she never fixed them.  The good thing is that she didn't have to be scary so she didn't make those silly faces that she did during Halloween.

I will also say that I enjoyed getting to know Nick's personality.  I only knew him as a BSB and knew some of their songs.  However, they were popular when I was already in college.  So I wasn't a super fan with posters or anything.  I'm glad that he was able to turn his life around.  I liked how he took care of Tamar.  It was nice that he congratulated Bindi and said that she deserved it.  From his expression, I think he thought that he might come in third.

For Alek, he had a great experience.  I liked when Tom asked him how this experience has changed him, he said that "I hope that I haven't changed too much."  I hope so too, Alek, and I hope you continue fighting in the reserves and become a police officer.

After Kim danced her Jeannie dance which looked nothing like how Jenna did it (no surprise), Tom said, "there's no way you're fitting back in the bottle."  He's so quick witted.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 7

I find it's good to develop a healthy tolerance for hyperbole while watching this show. I barely even notice it anymore. Carlos and Witney - sexiest foxtrot evah done? Sure, whatever, they'll say that until the next one. Lindsey & Alek, unprecedented amaaaazing choreography in which they run up a plank,? Fine, promote it that way if you must. Bindi, best human ever? Okay, fine. Bestest best cast ever, biggest finale ever, most dramatic season ever, never been a bigger night of dance blah blah blah, they'll say that every season, to everyone, in different ways over and over, it's a part of the show as surely as sequins and spray tans are. If you just laugh at it instead of getting rage ulcers, it makes the show more fun to watch. 

ITA. This sums up my POV perfectly. (Or, in DWTS-speak: "It's the best post on the Internet ever!") And on The Bachelor/ette everything is "the most romantic/amazing/shocking/dramatic/blah-blah-blah/whatever." And other shows have their own types of silly verbiage. If there were an Anti-Emmie awards show, I'd insist on a category for Most Ridiculous Hyperbole and another one on Most Over-Used Phrase. The best reality TV scene I've ever watched was the one in which a Real Housewife of Somewhere-Or-Other tossed her artificial leg across the table at someone. After that, the "best/sexiest/most amazing" dance is just words.

Anyway, congrats to Bindi, and may all the contestants go on to have happy lives. As well as the pros, the judges, Tom, and we viewers. 

• Love 7

Mark could have pulled a few more wins over the years if he wasn't so busy trying to be edgy and different. He really screwed Sadie with that Mario Brothers Acid Trip freestyle dance.

It's amazing to me the female winners (and Peta) get the most ringer talk and vitriol slung their way

• Love 2

Anyway, congrats to Bindi, and may all the contestants go on to have happy lives. As well as the pros, the judges, Tom, and we viewers. 

Especially Tom because he is the smartest, best-looking, most charming, quick-witted reality show host OF ALL SPACE AND TIME!!! (No, really.)

I DVRed the finale and FFed everything but the three final scored dances and the results, mainly just because I'd already sunk so much time into this season that I figured I had to see how it turned out even though I didn't care that much. I think Bindi was a deserving winner, if I had voted I would have voted for Nick, and if Alek had won, well, that would have been okay too. This might be my last season though, just due to boredom, but it really depends on who the contestants are. If they can get people I've actually heard of, then I'd probably watch, but if it's going the way it has been the last few seasons, with Vine stars and Bachelors and relatives of once-popular singers and what not, then I'm likely out.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

Especially Tom because he is the smartest, best-looking, most charming, quick-witted reality show host OF ALL SPACE AND TIME!!! (No, really.)

Probably the only thing about this show that isn't hyperbole, just the honest truth (now if only if he can win another Emmy for this!)

• Love 5

Whoever did Bindi's hair for the finale needs to be fired.

Yes. Oh my gawd, YES. That looked so terrible.

But I also enjoyed her partnership with Derek.  You can tell that Derek really enjoyed having her as a partner.

I think that's what I enjoyed most of all, like I enjoyed Nick and Sharna's connection (and how they each said they'd miss one another during one of their final interviews). I really do think Derek has found working with Bindi to be an unusual and wonderfully positive experience. Being around that kind of positive energy lifts you up, if you are able to let it, and I think -- no matter how over-the-top the judges got with their platitudes -- Bindi's positivity is a really good thing, especially in such increasingly cynical and dark times. It's SO hard not to harden your heart (cue the old Quarterflash song). So I appreciated what Derek said last night about how Bindi taught him that you can make a different choice, a choice to be positive, even amidst difficulties. It's such a hard choice sometimes, but I think being around someone like that makes you want to try.

I was rooting for Bindi or Nick, so I'm cool with the outcome. They both did a terrific job.

Side note: when Len said he was coming back, I said, "Oh, thank goodness." What a relief. We really do need him. I hope they're paying him all the money in the world to come back and finding ways to do it so that he doesn't have to exhaust himself flying back and forth between California and the UK.

• Love 8

I love this show , I just feel it's a bit boring when it comes to predictability . Every season from the first episode I can predict who will be the winner . It's ALWAYS the person who is an amazing dancer from episode 1. This show is supposed to be about growth . They put old people on and expect them to compete against 23 year olds and be just as good .

I don't hate Derek like a lot of people do , but I really think it's BS that every season he has amazing dancers as partners . Give him a Chaka khan and see how far he gets . and please have an age limit so it's a real competition

• Love 1

Mark could have pulled a few more wins over the years if he wasn't so busy trying to be edgy and different. He really screwed Sadie with that Mario Brothers Acid Trip freestyle dance.

It's amazing to me the female winners (and Peta) get the most ringer talk and vitriol slung their way

I do not agree with that.  Sadie was never going to beat Alfonso.  And the judges loved the Mario dance.  Short of Alfonso having to withdraw. there was no was he was losing that season.

Just like there was no way they weren't handing this season to Sally Sunshine from Down Under.

• Love 6

Since I missed the past month, I rather enjoyed the finale. I enjoyed watching Bindi, feel better about Nick at the end, I'm too old to have been a fan in his heyday, he worked hard. I enjoyed watching Alek enjoy his experience. I enjoyed the Chaka/Andy duet - but I really like Baby it's Cold Outside, I thought the women's costumes in the finale were gorgeous! Wardrobe and costumers did a great job.

• Love 2

I love the "filler" in the finale - to me, the competition dances are the real filler. It's great to see people back from all season PARTYING!!!

I especially liked this year that they had all the singers sing. They often have one or two, but why not all? It's fun to see them do their real thing.

• Love 1

Sinkwriter, I completely agree with what you said about Derek's words about Bindi in their final package. The judges went crazy week after week trying to one up their previous over the top praise for her and when it was all said and done, I thought what Derek said summed Bindi up better than any of the hyperbole the judges threw her way. It seemed sincere and heartfelt and based on his very personal experience of working with her. I think part of the reason that the judges "thank god you were born" praise set me on edge was because the judges generally have very little interaction with the contestants beyond the show itself (until we get to the judges choice week) so their claims of their lives being changed from watching Bindi's dance for a few minutes every week seemed ridiculous. Could they have been inspired by her? Of course but life changing? But Derek worked with her day in and day out. I DO believe that his experience with Bindi may have changed his life and I thought he expressed what it was about her that touched him far more eloquently than the judges ever managed to with all of their season long hooting and hollering.

• Love 7

Yes. Oh my gawd, YES. That looked so terrible.

I think that's what I enjoyed most of all, like I enjoyed Nick and Sharna's connection (and how they each said they'd miss one another during one of their final interviews). I really do think Derek has found working with Bindi to be an unusual and wonderfully positive experience. Being around that kind of positive energy lifts you up, if you are able to let it, and I think -- no matter how over-the-top the judges got with their platitudes -- Bindi's positivity is a really good thing, especially in such increasingly cynical and dark times. It's SO hard not to harden your heart (cue the old Quarterflash song). So I appreciated what Derek said last night about how Bindi taught him that you can make a different choice, a choice to be positive, even amidst difficulties. It's such a hard choice sometimes, but I think being around someone like that makes you want to try.

I was rooting for Bindi or Nick, so I'm cool with the outcome. They both did a terrific job.

Side note: when Len said he was coming back, I said, "Oh, thank goodness." What a relief. We really do need him. I hope they're paying him all the money in the world to come back and finding ways to do it so that he doesn't have to exhaust himself flying back and forth between California and the UK.

I don't necessarily think it was the transoceanic flying between the US & UK that had Len taking a DWTS sabbatical this season; at least not per se. I think it was more to do with he'd have had to do it *every week* since he was also judging the "Mothership" show in the UK, Strictly Come Dancing, which aired its most recent season simultaneously with our S21 that just concluded.

*That's* what gets tiring--flying transoceanic weekly plus, essentially holding down two jobs; especially for a man Len's age, who's also had health issues in the past (he announced in March, 2009 that he was being treated for prostate cancer). Yes, Bruno also does the weekly LA-London commute during the fall DWTS season to also judge SCD. But Bruno's 11 years younger than Len--Bruno's 60, as of today, in fact, to Len's 71 (Len was born in April 1944--I got both ages by Googling)--but he also hasn't had any serious health problems we know of; so the weekly transoceanic trip is probably still somewhat easier on him than on Len.

SCD apparently only airs once per TV season in the UK, to DWTS' twice per season here. It's now probably easier for Len to just judge our Spring season because he doesn't *have* to do the weekly transoceanic commute to judge SCD too during our Spring season; he pretty much only has to go back & forth when he wants to then. He can also have his family in the UK do the transoceanic commute to see him--even if he pays/offers to pay for it. And there's always Skype, FaceTime, etc., to keep in touch if he's not up to the commute himself.

Yeah, next year I hope they give Derek some outdoorsy, tomboy type with no dance experience who can barely walk in heels! Oh wait.............

Seventeen, in good athletic shape, with a built in fan base inherited from her wildly popular father, who died tragically and publicly. How was Bindi NOT one of the favorites from the day that they assigned partners? Especially this season, which featured the likes of a 60-something, out of shape television cook who had been fired by her network and advertisers, and is universally disliked for saying racially insensitive things. A real housewives blow up doll who looked like she'd spring a silicone leak if she bent a certain way. A mouthy diva with potential, but was given a "bitch edit" from the get go and thus was fairly unlikable. A 70-something R&B singer who had no shot of making the late rounds. The only female "celebrity" that had the potential to be as strong as Bindi, was Alexa, and her fan base was non existent.

When Derek isn't assigned someone who either has dance experience, a huge built in fan base, or is young enough and fit enough to be easily trained to make it to the Finals, then I'll believe that we're watching a somewhat fair and even contest. The show isn't stupid. They want Derek around until at least the semi-finals. He'll never get a Paula Deen or a Cloris Leachman or a Martina Navratalova. In the meantime, Keo has been stuck with first or second round cannon fodder for three seasons In a row.

Throw in the fact that his sister is a judge and you have, yes, Dancing with Derek. And it's not even a fair fight.

I don't have a problem with Bindi. It was her partner, and the ridiculous hyperbole by the judges, which I don't even think she needed to get the win.

Please come back, Len. The day that Len thanks a contestant's parents for conceiving them, will be the day I buy a Derek Hough blow up doll.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

I haven't posted this season mostly because of the vitriol that has almost taken over the board at times. It got most uncomfortable to read some of the posts and "ignoring" the posts really didn't work because of people quoting them. I really enjoyed this year, and I loved Bindi! It was fun seeing someone happy and full of joy instead of full of doom and gloom! I think she is a cheery person in real life and it shows through all the time. Yes, at times the judges were over the top but that was not her fault so why take it out on her? I also really think that Derek(who is my favorite pro and has been since the beginning of his career on the show)  seemed to enjoy the season and dancing with Bindi! He seemed relaxed and happy the whole season.

Now to the finale!  The first night's dances were all great but I thought that Bindi and Derek's quickstep was the best of the best! It was fun and full of joy. Her freestyle did stand out from the others because it was just the two dancers and it had some beautiful lifts and turns but it was too much like her contempory dance earlier in the season.  I thought that Alek's freestyle was a show of his strength but wasn't really full of dancing. His Rumba was really lacking hip movement.  I really didn't like Nick's freestyle  dance...it looked like a staged dance for the BSB's and I thought he got lost in the crowd. His jive on the other hand, was great even if he did get winded. The one thing I found ironic was that only Bindi and Derek's freestyle did not include the arm synchronization that everyone kept complaining about him overdoing in his dances! Every other duo included it in their dance!

The second night was long but it was filled with lots of good things in MHO. I thought the set was gorgeous and I kept forgetting that it was  in LA not New York where folks should be cold! Santa was a bit of a let down and Santa Gary was a bit scary but that was overcome by the cute little elf that Victor was! I love Andy Grammer and if his duet with Chaka was flat, I didn't notice because I have a tin ear! They looked like they were really having fun. All in all, a fun night and a great finish for Bindi!

I am glad that Len will be back! He was missed this year! If any of the judges go, I would like it to be Carrie Ann....she has turned into Paula Abdul! I look forward to Derek so I hope, unlike many others, he returns . Someone mentioned that they wanted him to work with someone older(how about Jennifer Grey) or with bad knees(how about Amber Riley), or heck how about someone with no legs(Amy Purdy)? Been there, done that so I think he can work with almost anyone!

All in all, I enjoyed this season a lot! (Well, I could have done without Gary Busey, but he always makes me uncomfortable!) I was surprised that I liked Hayes and the boy did try! Wasn't in love with Paula but that lady has some legs on her as does Chaka Khan! I would have loved to see Andy with another pro. Guess I have gone on enough but this was my post for the whole season!!!

• Love 9

Santa Gary was a bit scary

Oh man... only Gary Busey could take a cute Christmasy final statement like "And to all a good night" and turn it into something terrifying. This isn't Lethal Weapon, Gary, take the scary down a few notches!

• Love 4

A day later, I don't care anymore that Bindi won. It's fine. Whatever. Not what I have wanted- I wanted Nick but most of my issues with Bindi is that her partner was Derek and the constant fawning over by the judges. Everything they said to her was just so.over.the.top. Last night, I realized that their comments were sort of awful and insulting to the other contestants. CA and Julieanne talked on and on about how Bindi is the world, did they go on and on about Alek or Nick that way? No. It's fine. Whatever. But sadly, I hate to burst their bubble, Bindi is not the best dancer to grace this show. She's great, but she isn't the best. I don't have much of a problem with Bindi but I think I probably would have liked her more if the judges hadn't been all about her every week. But that's just me. 

• Love 6

I don't think he would have pulled off more wins, but he sure wouldn't be on the show anymore if he tried to be anything else but who he is. Mark is not a streamlined classical leading man type, and had he ever tried to fake that he would have come across as generic and blah and would have gone the way of other pleasant, but generic and unmemorable male pros who had a few seasons and then didn't come back anymore. Mark's controversial and with that he gives the show buzz in the sense that people will argue over whether they like him and his choreo and dancing or not. People have been arguing about it since season 12 or something. OTOH, throughout the years there have been pros whom everyone liked fine, but they didn't create much of an impression in fan circles and/or media, so they're gone.

• Love 2

I totally agree with you WhoseThatGirl! I was totally turned off this season because every article, every commercial, every Facebook post regarding DWTS was about Derek and Bindi. I get it! Derek's a great choreographer/dancer. But, I knew in week 3 who the winner was going to be. It was SO predictable....and tiring. I rarely saw anything on any of the other 'stars/pros'.....except for when they were voted off. Even Good Morning America showed Derek/Bindi. The finale was so predictable that I didn't even bother to watch it.....first time I've ever felt that way! Like someone else said above, I waited till the news was over before I googled to see the winner. I was even able to predict who would come in 1st, second, third, and fourth place. I love this show, but this season ( by far) was way too predictable.....I've never seen the judges fawn over one pair (Derek/Bindi) like I have this season! No one else had a chance of winning imho...

• Love 5

The most pimped win in the history of the show. Destroy the only real competition with nasty racist edits, absurd praise for average dancing, play the dead dad card regularly and there ya go.

What were the nasty racist edits?

As far as "destroying the only real competition with a nasty, racist edit," my guess is that she was offended by the edit that Tamar got, which seemed to feed into a certain stereotype. Didn't Val have a meltdown about it, too? I know that I'd never watched the Braxton's show and I really disliked her. I usually favor Val (as the anti-Golden Boy), but I was having a hard time warming up to his partnership with Tamar. I wasn't sure if it was the edit she was getting, or if she really was that unlikable.

If Tamar hadn't gotten sick, I wonder how far she would have gotten. My guess is the Finals, but Bindi's fan base partnered with Hough's would have been too much to beat.

• Love 2

I really do think Derek has found working with Bindi to be an unusual and wonderfully positive experience. Being around that kind of positive energy lifts you up, if you are able to let it, and I think -- no matter how over-the-top the judges got with their platitudes -- Bindi's positivity is a really good thing, especially in such increasingly cynical and dark times.

I really enjoyed seeing her & Derek together and seeing how her positive outlook influenced those around her.  She truly has a gift for lifting people up.  She said this show changed her life, so hopefully with everything she learned the past few months, she will to continue to heal since losing her Dad.  I really like Derek and think that he's genuinely a nice person.  He always seemed concerned about making Bindi look good.

I love this show, but this season ( by far) was way too predictable.....I've never seen the judges fawn over one pair (Derek/Bindi) like I have this season!

As I recall, the judges really liked Kelli Pickler & Derek; and they really liked Donny Osmond & Kym; and Donald Driver & Peta got a lot of attention, and the list goes on.  We seem to have this same conversation every season! ;)  The judges fawn over a lot of the performances in each show.  I thought they were equal opportunity fawners!  I've seen them fall all over themselves with stars who really weren't that good, but they didn't want to hurt their feelings. 

Bindi started the season strong and continued to build on that.  Sometimes that can backfire and somebody else takes the lead.  That really never happened this time.  She had no dance experience, but worked hard and stayed consistent the entire season.  She did have an issue with keeping her shoulders straight - which they called her out on, but she worked on it and seemed to get it corrected.  I'm happy that she won. Well deserved, IMO!

• Love 6

I very much enjoyed this season, and, for once, had no issues at all with the final three.  

Alek had absolutely no dance or entertainment background, and I enjoyed watching him improve every week.  He may not be able to move his hips like the pros, but wow did he learn to do lifts.  Plus, he seems to be just such an all-around nice guy.  It was a pleasure to watch him.

The Back Street Boys were not of my era, so I honestly knew little about Nick, but his hard work impressed me, and his talent as a performer shone through.  His dances were high energy and fun to watch.  He earned my respect last night with his sincere praise of Bindi.  

As for Bindi, I have to say that even on nights when I could not watch the whole show, I tried to catch her dances.  Her joy was infectious.  (I do hope that as she matures she learns that it's okay to not be cheery every moment.  People will still love her even in her bad moments.)  While I'm no dance expert, I actually thought her dance skills were well, well beyond what you would expect from someone with her experience level.  Her footwork was amazing.  

And props to Derek, who has not always been my favorite pro!  I thought he did a fabulous job of choreographing dances that highlighted Bindi's skills.  And both the costumes and the dances were age appropriate.  He was pitch perfect in that regard.  And I was beyond pleased by the freestyle dance.  It was dance in its purest form.  

• Love 7

Re: Bindi--- Why would the judges, "from Day One," put the fix in for the daughter of Steve Irwin? What was it to them? It's not like Bindi has a contract with ABC. "Built-in fan base"?  That would be NICK, a true world-wide super-star.

"Athletic build" and thus  "easy to train"? I didn't notice any particular muscularity on Bindi.

The fact is, the show gave Derek, not a ringer Olympic Gold Medalist ice-dancer or an erstwhile Pussycat Doll, but the kind of amateur the show was once known for. Derek rose to the challenge of teaching, coaching, choreographing, and, yes, playing the sympathy card---It's a competition!

Of course, there was hope that the Pro could make a dancer of sorts out of the Kid from Oz. But the jaded judges were unprepared for this duo producing, not the stock-in-trade chemistry of a show-mance,  but the rarer alchemy of transformation, of base material's becoming gold.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 8

Loved the pros, Gary Busey, Tom as always. Wished Nick had won but just glad it is over. If I never see another photo of Steve Irwin again it will be too soon. In my house if you annoy wild life til they stab you in the chest, it's Darwin not a global tragedy. I found Bindi annoying to the point that the show was hard to watch. I though Derek did a great job with her.

• Love 3

I said before the season even started that if Derek couldn't win with Bindi, he'd never win again.  Now that he's won another MBT, he really needs to sit things out or get a Paula Deen, not because I'm tired of him, but because I'm tired of the vitriol that laces this forum and the nastiness he inspires.  I really thought it was unfair to lay the blame for that last Steve Irwin photo on Bindi--she didn't know that was coming, but on this show, if you have the card, you play the card.  

• Love 1

I really thought it was unfair to lay the blame for that last Steve Irwin photo on Bindi--she didn't know that was coming, but on this show, if you have the card, you play the card.

Agreed. It's a competition and to me Derek was just playing the game. No blame on Bindi. I'm sure that she would have been fine emotionally if Derek did not decide to display Steve's photo after the dance.

Oh, and as someone else had said (even though I look forward to Len's return), if Len says, "I thank your parents for making you," that might be it for me..

• Love 5

When Derek isn't assigned someone who either has dance experience, a huge built in fan base, or is young enough and fit enough to be easily trained to make it to the Finals, then I'll believe that we're watching a somewhat fair and even contest...

I think he's already had that scenario.  IMO, he did a fantastic job with Amber Riley who certainly wasn't athletic, fit, exhaustively trained, or particularly well known at the outset.  His genius seems to be in watching his partners early-on, discovering their talents and deficits, and designing dances to hide the flaws and accentuate the positives. He's an amazing choreographer.

• Love 6

I have known one person that I suspect is like Bindi. Always up, smiling, looking on the bright side. Very genuine about it. Haven't seen her in a while, but from Facebook she seems to be the same person and she's nearly 60. I would say people were awed by her, and everyone loved her. It really is rare to meet someone like that, and Bindi might not change either.

That freestyle took a lot of core strength, so Bindi must have been doing something before the show that developed it. Wrestling crocs, perhaps?

So football, skating, gymnastics, prior dancing, and now croc wrestling are good pre-requisites for DWTS.  

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the finale.  The set was gorgeous and the pros had loads of dances.  Gary Busey broke me up to no end and Tom is always a joy to watch. I'm glad Bindi won.  She worked hard and she was really, really good.  Her personality bothered me a bit at the beginning, but then I remembered her Dad's outsize personality.  The judges gushing was too much, but I figure they got to know Bindi better than we did and there must have been something that really struck a positive chord with them.  Sure, she 's over the top, but her dad was too.  Best 17 year old dancing I've ever seen on that show.  Good for her.

• Love 8

I said before the season even started that if Derek couldn't win with Bindi, he'd never win again.  Now that he's won another MBT, he really needs to sit things out or get a Paula Deen, not because I'm tired of him, but because I'm tired of the vitriol that laces this forum and the nastiness he inspires.  I really thought it was unfair to lay the blame for that last Steve Irwin photo on Bindi--she didn't know that was coming, but on this show, if you have the card, you play the card.  

I still do not buy that Sally Sunshine did not know that the picture of her with her dead Father was going to be shown.  She seems like the win at any cost type beneath her oh so sugary demeanor.

• Love 2

Despite some of the over the top cynicism that arises anytime that Derek wins, I'll come right out and say that he is best partnering dancer/choreographer that DWTS has seen in its entire history.  Does he often get above average celebrity partners? Yes, but he has a unique ability to take whatever they bring to the table and transform it into something far beyond what they would imagine possible.  Case in point: the freestyle dances which have grown increasing bloated and tiresome.  They have more production schmaltz than actual dancing.  Over the recent seasons, however, the freestyles that stood out were based on the pure beauty and impact of the dancing:

- Derek and Kellie's freestyle was simple. emotional and perfectly in tune with the music. It probably let Kellie beat Zendaya out on that last night

- Maks and Meryl's freestyle to Sam Smith's "Latch"  great pure dancing. Say no more

- Derek and Bindi, powerful, pure and emotionally charged.  If anyone was close to Bindi in the overall scoring, the freestyle would have clinched it for her.

Derek, more than any other of the pros seems to be able to accurately assess his partner's strengths and weaknesses and structure his choreography to emphasize the former and downplay the latter.  As others have stated, his work with Amber Riley was superb as were his efforts with Amy Purdy.  Whether people like it not Derek is the backbone of DWTS and the show will be diminished if and when he moves on.

As far as Bindi is concerned, I did not see one false note in her personality.  I've read that she had never fully expressed her grief after Steve's death, not unusual for a child moving into her teens.  Her bubbly personality is probably a bit of overcompensation for this but it was by no means phony.  By all accounts, with the support that she received by everyone on the show and, especially Derek, she was able to finally deal with her loss in a more substantial way.  I have not one doubt that she didn't know that the picture would be up at the end of the freestyle.  Her reaction was just too overwhelming.  I couldn't have been happier when she won, not only because of her story but, more importantly, because she was clearly the best damn dancer out there from the opening bell.  In some ways she and Meryl Davis are two sides of the same coin.  Where Meryl was cool and demure, Bindi was a live wire but when each of them hit the dance floor they were special.  I still watch Meryl and Maks' routines on YouTube and will probably do the same with Bindi and Derek's.  They were just that enjoyable.

• Love 12

Bindi deserved to win  (she rarely made a misstep), but I have to say she is one of my least favorite winners.  I didn't rewind one of her dances or save any on YouTube, to watch days later.  And I don't know why.

• Love 2

My issue with Bindi is that I just don't think she is that good of a dancer. In fact, I don't think I remember any of her dances - but I can still remember dances from previous years contestants.

Of course it appears overall the quality of the stars and the quality of the dancing is down too.

• Love 4

I still do not buy that Sally Sunshine did not know that the picture of her with her dead Father was going to be shown.  She seems like the win at any cost type beneath her oh so sugary demeanor.

She 100% did not know beforehand about the picture of her with "her dead father". (As opposed to her living father?) Wow.

I didn't watch one minute of the show this season - I didn't know most of the stars, plus it seemed like the previous season had just ended; one problem I have with DWTS is that it doesn't ever give me a chance to miss it. Anyway, I knew back when the cast was announced that Derek and Bindi would win. I'm glad to see I didn't miss anything by not watching after all.

May I ask how you knew that Derek and Bindi would win when the cast was announced? 

Honestly, when the cast was announced I thought that Nick had the best chance to win (given his performance experience) with Carlos being a dark horse (again due to his musical roots).  I also thought that Tamar would be in the mix.

When I heard she was going to be on the show my first thought was "Really?"  She's known for her conservation efforts and educational videos and not a spec of dance training/ability – her being partnered with Derek does not automatically equate a win (as previous seasons can attest to).  Derek was lucky that Bindi showed as much musicality and dance ability as she did; she appeared to pick up choreography well and she came across as very likeable.

Alexa and Alek (along with Bindi) were pleasant surprises for me and I enjoyed watching their dance journey.

• Love 4

I love this show , I just feel it's a bit boring when it comes to predictability . Every season from the first episode I can predict who will be the winner . It's ALWAYS the person who is an amazing dancer from episode 1. This show is supposed to be about growth . They put old people on and expect them to compete against 23 year olds and be just as good .

I don't hate Derek like a lot of people do , but I really think it's BS that every season he has amazing dancers as partners . Give him a Chaka khan and see how far he gets . and please have an age limit so it's a real competition

I don't think this show is "supposed" to be about anything other than entertainment and despite some of the wackiness that went on this season, I was pretty entertained; the contestants were (mostly) likeable and the pros created some memorable dances for them.

It will never be a "real" competition because it is an entertainment show - it's about "celebrities learning routines and exploring different aspects of their personality as well as trying to "rebrand" or "promote" themselves.

• Love 2

They put old people on and expect them to compete against 23 year olds and be just as good .

I think it is fun to have a mix of all types of celebrities; it is just as much fun for me to watch dancers who are good from the outset as it is to see someone's growth as it is to see someone who may never be any good but who is fun and entertaining to watch.

I don't think anyone expects "old people" to be just as good as young people; they each have their own unique stories that are interesting  to watch.  Look at Patti LaBelle, or Tommy Chong; I doubt anyone expected them to compete at a high level of dancing, but they added a richness to the mix. 

As stated above, this is just an entertainment show.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 3

I don't like this show for what it's become, a place for image rehabilitation.  I didn't mind it when it was a launching pad for athletes to get into the business, or for those with a past due date to get back into the swing of things. I don't really like the disney parade of contestants, but ABC has a big tent and have to rehab the payroll. But when people like Andy Dick or Bindi Irwin or  Paula Dean come on the show it's not because they can dance or even have rhythm. It's to pit those who like them and don't think they do any harm against those who feel very differently.  It's not a fun show for me anymore. I'm not interested in these people for a lot of reasons. I didn't watch a lot of this season because it is not about dance, it is all about an opinion of old people in middle America that is not progressive but regressive, and it re-enforces all the bad and very little of the good. Now that this season has a clear corporate agenda I won't be watching anymore. Too bad, as a ballroom dancer I used to enjoy it.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

I don't like this show for what it's become, a place for image rehabilitation. I didn't mind it when it was a launching pad for athletes to get into the business, or for those with a past due date to get back into the swing of things. I don't really like the disney parade of contestants, but ABC has a big tent and have to rehab the payroll. But when people like Andy Dick or Bindi Irwin or Paula Dean come on the show it's not because they can dance or even have rhythm. It's to pit those who like them and don't think they do any harm against those who feel very differently. It's not a fun show for me anymore. I'm not interested in these people for a lot of reasons. I didn't watch a lot of this season because it is not about dance, it is all about an opinion of old people in middle America that is not progressive but regressive, and it re-enforces all the bad and very little of the good. Now that this season has a clear corporate agenda I won't be watching anymore. Too bad, as a ballroom dancer I used to enjoy it.

How in the hell is Bindi Irwin mentioned in the same sentence as Paula Deen and Andy Dick?? I didn't think she needed image rehabilitation. Has she made racist statements that I'm not aware of? Did she urinate in public and I somehow missed that story? Is she really a polarizing figure where there are pro-Bindi and anti-Bindi factions? I guess I'm one of those old people in middle America and I'm just not in the know LOL. Actually, although I am middle-aged, I think my opinions are far from regressive. Heck, I even voted Democrat in our gubernatorial election last week haha! I enjoy seeing many types of people on DWTS - former athletes, young stars who I've never heard of but come to enjoy on the show, blasts from the past, some of whom I thought were already dead, etc., etc. I love how the season unfolds, and I just love watching people dance!! Good and bad! It's crazy that this show has people up in arms over who is cast and who wins. I can understand why some people on these boards say they have to take a break from time to time. Edited by MzTori77
  • Love 6

This show has never been just about the dancing since I've been watching it..and the manipulations of productions can be tiresome for sure but I think it can definitely depend on which team you're rooting for..last reason was all for Rumer no matter what..and this was Bindis..I think Nastia was just as good of a dancer as Rumer last season but it just wasn't in the script at the end of the day..Rumer wasn't my cup of tea so I can see how the Bindi haters are annoyed but it just kind of is what it is with this show and always has been

• Love 1

I definitely did not have a problem with Bindi winning.  She turned into a great dancer and was charming, even though the judges laid it on too thick at times.  My beef is why Derek NEVER gets any "stars" other than contenders??  Is it in his contract or something?  And when I say contender, I know Bindi did not have dance experience but she is young and athletic and let's face it.....young most often turns into being a contender on this show.  It's not like we have ever seen Derek with someone like Paula Deene. Even Mark has had his share of non-contenders like Brisol Palin (yes she is young but had a horrible attitude and was a polarizing type who was hard to root for).

I think a lot of the tediousness of this show is down to the judges' scripts.  If they would just call a spade a spade more often, I think we'd all be less unsettled.  Bindi was a lovely dancer, but she wasn't flawless.  I want to know what the fixable and unfixable flaws are for every single celeb.  If they're unfixable, they shouldn't be dwelt on; if fixable, have at it.  Bindi was capable of doing even better than she did, I think.  But no one ever told her what to fix.

• Love 3

Bindi Irwin needed rehab of her image, especially since she is still the youth ambassador for Seaworld

http://junkee.com/bindi-irwin-just-became-the-most-hated-person-in-america-possibly-the-world/30300

Interesting!  And that explains a lot.  

I think a lot of the tediousness of this show is down to the judges' scripts.  If they would just call a spade a spade more often, I think we'd all be less unsettled.  Bindi was a lovely dancer, but she wasn't flawless.  I want to know what the fixable and unfixable flaws are for every single celeb.  If they're unfixable, they shouldn't be dwelt on; if fixable, have at it.  Bindi was capable of doing even better than she did, I think.  But no one ever told her what to fix.

I agree.  They do not have to go Simon on them, but how about some authentic feedback.  Glad Len is coming back.  Things need to be reeled in.  The judges lost their focus. 

• Love 1