Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Another option worth looking into are the companies that plant memorial trees.  I have done that for the last few friends that have passed.  The information was available through the obituary published by the funeral company.  There are several options to choose from, I chose a small grove of 3 trees for a cost of $100. Canadian.  These trees are part of a reforestation program and after checking it out, found that it is legitimate.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Living close to the gulf I aways keep a ` hurricane shelf ` canned meat, self stable milk, batteries ect..enough to last a few days. I do need to make a fast trip to pick up a loaf of bread for sandwiches because that is not somthing I keep. I never buy milk because if we lose electricity for any length of time it will go bad. I need to buy some coal for the grill soon just in case. I also do not understand why people don't have these things on hand...well I understand a lot of people live from paycheck to paycheck and don't have extra money to stock up..but other than that most people live where there is a chance of bad weather so I do not understand the lack of preparation. 

Most people could still set aside a few dollars a week to buy a few things to put back for lean times.  I know a lady that is what i would consider living on poverty wages.  She sets aside $5 every week and gets whatever that $5 will get her.  It adds up to a stocked pantry in a few months.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

This is entirely a personal opinion but I hated getting plants when my parents died.  They just serve to remind me  of their demise and some of the baskets that are put together grow into big, gangly forests and seem to grow at different rates so you can't trim anything to look nice.  Yet I hated to throw them out since they cost so much.  Again, that's just me.

Perhaps a book, something that is of interest to them like music or art or travel?  Maybe one with pictures of her favorite vacation spot?

It's hard but it's very nice of you to look for something more personal.

I completely agree.  My sister passed away unexpectedly this fall, she was 52 (not Covid).  And several friends sent me plants.  I ended up giving them to a neighbor because I couldn't have them in the house.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

It’s blizzarding and it’s a great time! Must be 18 inches down so far. Haven’t lost power yet, but we have generators (and we’re winter survival trained)  

Had a great post-holing workout earlier (my ski bindings were a bit wonky, so could not use them). Reminded me of being a kid and going out to ski or build a survival shelter in the snowstorm. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I completely agree.  My sister passed away unexpectedly this fall, she was 52 (not Covid).  And several friends sent me plants.  I ended up giving them to a neighbor because I couldn't have them in the house.  

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Ms Lulu. 

After my mom passed, my dear friend sent me a delicate silver snowflake necklace that had mom's birthstone set in the center. I'm not a big jewelry person, but I love it and the thought and meaning behind it. When I'm missing my mom more than usual, I wear it and sift through my memories. It also makes me think of my friend, which is a bonus.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Ms Lulu. 

After my mom passed, my dear friend sent me a delicate silver snowflake necklace that had mom's birthstone set in the center. I'm not a big jewelry person, but I love it and the thought and meaning behind it. When I'm missing my mom more than usual, I wear it and sift through my memories. It also makes me think of my friend, which is a bonus.

Thank you.  I do have a few of my sister's things and I started going through them shortly after she died.  I framed several photos and then put everything else away until can look at them with more joy than sadness.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It’s blizzarding and it’s a great time! Must be 18 inches down so far. Haven’t lost power yet, but we have generators (and we’re winter survival trained)  

Had a great post-holing workout earlier (my ski bindings were a bit wonky, so could not use them). Reminded me of being a kid and going out to ski or build a survival shelter in the snowstorm. 

How fun! How cold is it there?

We ended up getting a little dusting after all! It was so strange, because it looked like a rain and fog mix, but it was snow! The light looked odd, and the pics I took appeared black and white, not color. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was magical. It's already melting, which is surprising to me since it's just above 20 degrees. (Snow is still new-ish to me, so I don't know how it all works yet)

My nose and face are driving me crazy and I noticed the humidity in here is at 18%! We've got the humidifiers running now, so hopefully I'll feel normal soon.

• Love 7
Just now, WhatAmIWatching said:

We ended up getting a little dusting after all! It was so strange, because it looked like a rain and fog mix, but it was snow! The light looked odd, and the pics I took appeared black and white, not color. It only lasted a few minutes, but it was magical. It's already melting, which is surprising to me since it's just above 20 degrees. (Snow is still new-ish to me, so I don't know how it all works yet)

My nose and face are driving me crazy and I noticed the humidity in here is at 18%! We've got the humidifiers running now, so hopefully I'll feel normal soon.

It’s 17 here with high wind. Next week it’ll be 50 with rain! 

2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Another option worth looking into are the companies that plant memorial trees.  I have done that for the last few friends that have passed.  The information was available through the obituary published by the funeral company.  There are several options to choose from, I chose a small grove of 3 trees for a cost of $100. Canadian.  These trees are part of a reforestation program and after checking it out, found that it is legitimate.

Love this idea!  Definitely exploring this option. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Another option worth looking into are the companies that plant memorial trees.  I have done that for the last few friends that have passed.

That's a fabulous idea.  I found an outfit that plants them in national forests.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I didn’t see any for NC national forest tree memorials….hmmm….I would actually like one for a local park. Her brother and wife were living in VA, but were from NC. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 1/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, TurtlePower said:

I grew up spending every summer preparing for winter (food, wood for heating), so the lack of preparation and last-minute shopping befuddles me. 

Same here. I'm a tightwad so I always shop sales and never pay full price for most staples and things like toilet paper & toothpaste.  I add them to a list on my fridge if I'm getting low on something. For me, "getting low" is less than a month supply, not one day or a week. A month gives it time to go on sale before I run out.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I am such a chicken. I stayed home all day. Too windy and cold to go outside.

No problem, if you don't have to go out, stay home. Nothing chicken about that.  The idiots that go out and drive in bad weather are just asking for trouble and possibly causing accidents that don't have to happen. I live in MT lots of bad Winter weather here. I am the queen of staying home when the weather is bad!! 

• Love 10
On 1/26/2022 at 8:27 PM, iwantcookies said:

Would you change doctors if you found out the doctor: 

1. Went to a college for 2 more years/another degree because they were not able to get into USA medical school. 

2. went to a medical school in the Caribbean?

Not necessarily.  My HS sweetheart went to St. George's Medical School in Grenada.  When he applied to med. school there was a lot of competition and his grades were just a hair low for getting admitted to a good school in the U.S.  He was extremely smart and normally an excellent student (he went to the Bronx HS of Science like I did and had a high GPA), but in college he overextended himself and volunteered as an EMT, so his grades were not as good.  

It also really depends on the medical school.  They can vary widely in the Caribbean.  Their accreditation is granted by the same organization as in the U.S. so they are held to the same standard.  And given how many very good students have difficulty getting into med. school in the U.S. the average student going to med. school in the Caribbean is often better than people think.

I've read that it's tougher to get placed in a US hospital after graduating from a Caribbean school.  If one does end up in a good hospital it means their grades were probably excellent.  So my HS boyfriend made sure to ace every class to increase his chances of getting placed somewhere good.  He ended up at a major medical center in Rockland County, NY where he has been an emergency physician for 30 years.

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
On 1/29/2022 at 1:15 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

Yeah, we got just enough for our dogs to leave tiny footprints and that was it.  🐾  We had a wind chill advisory of 5 -10 below, but it didn't bother to show up.  Mr. Wind Chill must've read the memo and seen it was to make an appearance in the South and thought, "this is got to be a typo!" 😉

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
Grammar
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, the lines were long in the stores yesterday in preparation fir the snow.  😆 We got a dusting so light that I could barely see it on my porch.  There were no carts available, so when my arms got full I commandeered a display cart of designer beer! Lol. The lines were half way down the aisles on all checkouts……I finally got in the one for self checkout.  I had enough in the cupboards to get by awhile, but just wanted a few extras.  I think crowding into the stores before a snow prediction is sort of a custom in the south (NC).  We rarely get pinned down due to bad roads for more than a couple of days.  

Can I get some ideas on sympathy gifts?  I’ve looked online for ideas and have ordered a couple of things that I’m giving my SIL after the loss of her brother. (A canvas print with her favorite bird with comforting message).  I posted about it earlier. Well, her brothers wife, who was also sick with covid, just died too.  So…its a sad situation.  No formal plans at this time, but I wanted to get her something meaningful and so I ordered the gifts.  I also want to send flowers or a plant.  They fade so fast though and sometimes the quality is not up to my standards.  Any ideas on how to address this? 

Very sorry to hear about the losses. When Sweet Son died, several people sent us "Instead of Flowers".  I don't know if your people have it available.  Restaurant quality meals delivered ready to eat, might need some warming up.  Not meal prep.  No cooking involved.  They were good and the idea of a nice meal at the door (we got to pick them off a website) was helpful on some dark days.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I am such a chicken. I stayed home all day. Too windy and cold to go outside.

I’m nuts and went out and post-holed, ran a little and shovelled (ignored my bad back). I have missed winter so much. And when we’re sick of it, spring will be right around the corner. SO much better than the hot, dry-ass desert. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Very sorry to hear about the losses. When Sweet Son died, several people sent us "Instead of Flowers".  I don't know if your people have it available.  Restaurant quality meals delivered ready to eat, might need some warming up.  Not meal prep.  No cooking involved.  They were good and the idea of a nice meal at the door (we got to pick them off a website) was helpful on some dark days.

Thanks Lookeyloo.  That’s a great idea and I’ll explore it. I don’t think that particular franchise is available in their community. I’m sure meals would be appreciated.  The loss of her brother and SIL has really hit her hard. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

once as a teen I absentmindedly poured orange juice on my corn flakes - much tastier than milk

When my vet sent me some gorgeous (cut) flowers after my old cat died, I had to give them away because I could not bear to watch them slowly wither away and die too.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, Ms.Lulu said:

Yes times 1000. I got a huge plant when my beloved dad died from my school. I asked my teaching team to let admin and hospitality committee please no acknowledgment of my loss, they did as I asked,  but principal insisted they follow hospitality guidelines. I had worked there long enough to know that a parent death= a large plant. I threw it out my first day back in the school dumpster. I was livid and hurt at the same time. 

Edited by BAForever
On 1/29/2022 at 8:17 AM, Sandy W said:

This is a great idea; I have a friend who just lost his mother. He doesn't have a huge sweet tooth, not a big drinker, and I don't know how he'd feel about a plant or if he has food allergies. This is a nice gesture to let him know we're thinking of him.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

This is a great idea; I have a friend who just lost his mother. He doesn't have a huge sweet tooth, not a big drinker, and I don't know how he'd feel about a plant or if he has food allergies. This is a nice gesture to let him know we're thinking of him.

I would like to think that because they were planted under the auspices of a government program, they would be professionally attended to and thrive.

In one instance, I ordered them in memory of 3 of my granddaughters paternal grandfather, they were his only grandchildren.   In the note to his widow, I said something along the lines of---the grove of 3 trees would represent his legacy, putting down roots and reaching for the sky. 

• Love 12

When my neighbor died (Covid) two years ago, I arranged with neighbors who wanted to donate to purchase a small picnic bench - between 10 neighbors and some other friends it really wasn't that much more than if we all had given flowers/plants.    We had it installed at the top of a very popular hiking trail - one of his favorites - with fabulous views of the Golden Gate.    His widow loved it and put a small plaque on the side.   

• Love 21
17 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I would like to think that because they were planted under the auspices of a government program, they would be professionally attended to and thrive.

In one instance, I ordered them in memory of 3 of my granddaughters paternal grandfather, they were his only grandchildren.   In the note to his widow, I said something along the lines of---the grove of 3 trees would represent his legacy, putting down roots and reaching for the sky. 

I have a maple tree in my garden that had a memorial tag on it when we bought the house/property.  It was planted for the wife of the man who built our house in 1960. Her name was Virginia and I am assuming that she was a gardener because you could see the outline in the ground of a traditional 150' by 75' garden next to the tree and our house has a full basement root cellar pantry and cold box built into the basement wall.

I call my maple my "Virginia maple" in her honor.

• Love 16

When Mom's dog died (he'd been my dog for years by then), the vet made a memorial donation to the UC Davis vet school in his memory.  I appreciated that more than anything else she could have done.  

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, Absolom said:

When Mom's dog died (he'd been my dog for years by then), the vet made a memorial donation to the UC Davis vet school in his memory.  I appreciated that more than anything else she could have done.  

Our vet did the same when our almost-19 year old cat died.  We also made a donation to the same Veterinary college.  It was appreciated here as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 1/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, Sandy W said:

I heard about such programs too and there's something else to consider as well: More and more people choose to be cremated after their deaths. So those who are left behind don't always have a place to go to.  Planting a memorial tree is giving something back to nature and it creates a place to go to to honour your loved one.

• Love 15
22 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Turns out a lot of these places are super scammy and they do dodgy things like dropping some seeds in an open field, kicking some dirt over it, and calling that "planting" without actually taking the care and time to make sure the trees grow. It's about as legitimate as naming a star after someone or getting them one of those "lord/lady" certificates for buying one square foot of land in Scotland. I found some resources from the US Forest Service that are legit, and will be using one of these: https://www.fs.usda.gov/working-with-us/donations

Anytime you donate to a charity, and I'd classify repairing forests as charitable work, it's always a good idea to look it up on charity navigator or other search engines (I would say google, but in google usually the first page of results is ads, and they can be misleading), to make sure they are legitimate.

• Useful 8

My mother lives across the street from a city park.  My dad died by suicide 8 years ago. :(.     The long time neighbors chipped in to have a tree planted as a memorial and cute bench.  My mom can see it out her front window and it provides great comfort to her.    She goes over to the park to have discussions with my dad! 

• Love 14

I have both my parents' ashes in my house since my dad died almost 2 years ago.  I keep them in the living room and talk to them every now and then.  I know my father wanted to be buried in a military cemetery along with my mom but I am having a hard time figuring out where to put them.  If I put them in NY where they were from they'd be far away from me.  And somehow it wouldn't feel right to put them up here in CT.  I also like having them here near me right now.  I really don't know how to make this decision.  I guess there's no real rush but I would like to have a permanent place for them eventually.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I have both my parents' ashes in my house since my dad died almost 2 years ago.  I keep them in the living room and talk to them every now and then.  I know my father wanted to be buried in a military cemetery along with my mom but I am having a hard time figuring out where to put them.  If I put them in NY where they were from they'd be far away from me.  And somehow it wouldn't feel right to put them up here in CT.  I also like having them here near me right now.  I really don't know how to make this decision.  I guess there's no real rush but I would like to have a permanent place for them eventually.

My husband and I have a plan.  Whoever goes first, the other takes the urn (or box) to the house, but also plop it in the car for a ride now and then, go to the beach, hang out in the garden, etc.  Stay "home", then when the other goes, their ashes go into the same urn (box).   Our kids have agreed to keep them for a year, then decide what to do with us.  Whatever they decide, we will be together.   

My brother just died, and his wife put his ashes in a biodegradable urn, and they are going to kayak out into the bay and let it float away.  Wish I could be there for that.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

My husband and I have a plan.  Whoever goes first, the other takes the urn (or box) to the house, but also plop it in the car for a ride now and then, go to the beach, hang out in the garden, etc.  Stay "home", then when the other goes, their ashes go into the same urn (box).   Our kids have agreed to keep them for a year, then decide what to do with us.  Whatever they decide, we will be together.   

My brother just died, and his wife put his ashes in a biodegradable urn, and they are going to kayak out into the bay and let it float away.  Wish I could be there for that.

Speaking of ashes and all—I wish people would check to make sure it’s allowed before they spread ashes in places (I get it in water it just dissipates).  But so many people want their ashes spread in national parks and they do it in places like Chaco Canyon, which is sacred to the Navajo. People either don’t know (or care) that this act desecrates the land. We had a huge shed at Chaco filled with bags of cremains that were recovered. It was gross and creepy; the dust was in the air in that shed and I wish I’d had a gas mask going in there. 

People should know when they spread family member’s ashes in certain places, they are going to wind up in a trash bag sitting in a shed (besides it being a desecration to sacred land). 

Sorry to bring the topic to a sad point, but people should know this before they do things—just an FYI. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 8

I think that sounds lovely.  She may want to be careful who she tells her plans to.  In this overly regulated world we live in most states require a permit to spread ashes especially in waterways.   And if it's at sea must be at least 3 nautical miles from shore.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think I understand your dilemma. Your parents would want to be at a spot that really meant something to them. And you want to honour that, but you also want to be able to look after the site and visit their grave on occasion.You mentioned a military cemetery as your father's wish. Isn't there one near you? It would honour his wish and solve your dilemma. 

However, the most sensible thing I can say is this: Take your time. You can only do this once so it needs to be right, especially for you because it needs to give you peace of mind and will help you to find closure.

Edited by LilyD
sight should be site
  • Love 9

I told my son that after I go, he must buy the largest urn possible, cover it with stickers, googly eyes, and even a small set of antlers. It must be as obtrusive as possible. He then must carry me around wherever he goes. I must always get shotgun when he drives somewhere because I get carsick, and he has to talk out loud to my urn as much as possible. I also told him he had to take part of the ashes and get one of those memorial diamonds made, and give that to his future gf or spouse.

I let him sweat it out a bit (his face was priceless!) then told him he can choose whatever he feels is right when the time comes. (I may end up in a dumpster, but that's ok, too. I don't want him to stress over it.) 

My mom's deathiversary was yesterday. I'm surprised that it's already been four years. My dad and I had a nice chat sharing memories.

Mom had three specific (legal) spots she wanted her ashes spread, and made me promise she wouldn't sit in an urn collecting dust. I've failed her, because her ashes are in a beautiful urn at Dad's. He asked if I could wait until after he goes, and spread their ashes together, and I hope she will be ok with that. They were married 55 years and did everything together so I'm thinking she will understand.

Once dad is gone, I will also have my Omi and Opi's ashes to deal with, I think husband will have his dad's (since no one has dealt with them yet). I believe each of them had instructions, so we will follow them to the letter. All of that is what made me decide that my son can just toss mine if it is easier on him. I don't want him to worry about me once I've gone.

• Love 9

My stepfather's ashes are in a box in my closet.  My mother couldn't handle knowing anything about it so I did that temporarily almost seven years ago.  She's on hospice now so I'm waiting until she goes and we'll have a three person family meeting to decide what to do with them both.  I think one of the cemeteries around here has an ashes garden.  

• Love 11
9 hours ago, LilyD said:

I think I understand your dilemma. Your parents would want to be at a spot that really meant something to them. And you want to honour that, but you also want to be able to look after the site and visit their grave on occasion.You mentioned a military cemetery as your father's wish. Isn't there one near you? It would honour his wish and solve your dilemma. 

However, the most sensible thing I can say is this: Take your time. You can only do this once so it needs to be right, especially for you because it needs to give you peace of mind and will help you to find closure.

Thank you, you summed the problem up very well.  Yes, there are a couple of Veterans Cemeteries in CT but I have no relationship with either town and both are about a half hour away.  I would actually rather put them in the Veteran's cemetery in Farmingdale, Long Island, NY because both of them had a relationship to Long Island.  But then it would be quite a distance for me to get there.  It would take at least 2.5 hours to get there from here, most likely more considering the NY and Long Island traffic.  Ugh.  So it's a tough choice.

• Love 4

Just a word to be extra careful while out in your car.  This guy in my area had a strange woman attack him with machete while he sat in his car at a red light! She actually broke the passenger side window!  No known reason. And, she hasn’t been captured. 

https://abc11.com/brier-creek-knife-attack-woman-with-machete-red-light-exclusive/11549365/

I have a family friend who recently was in a fast food drive through when she let her window down and a stranger suddenly appeared and put his head into her car! She quickly let window up and sped away.  

All of this when I’m finally getting out more.