Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m wondering if there is a surge in untreated mental health crisis.  

https://www.wral.com/fbi-won-t-file-federal-charges-against-unruly-passenger-who-forced-flight-to-land-at-rdu/20128342/

It’s scary out there. I’ve been harassed and attacked by deranged homeless men while running (why are they so rapey?) and thankfully, escaped and outran them. Absolutely avoided certain areas after patterns emerged. People in NYC are being pushed onto subway tracks, there are just so many random attacks these days. 

As much as I want to have empathy for these people, I won’t hesitate to inflict serious injury on someone if I must. I try to avoid certain situations because I already have PTSD and feel like it’s not fair we should be afraid just going about daily life. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Stupid auto incorrect
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

https://www.wral.com/fbi-won-t-file-federal-charges-against-unruly-passenger-who-forced-flight-to-land-at-rdu/20128342/

Yes there is, it is being documented and is beginning to be more widely reported; same as there is an increase in unrecognized cancer, heart disease, alcoholism, drug addiction, domestic abuse, teen suicide, and so many other conditions.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I guess seeing men masturbate on the train is no big deal compared to being hurt/killed…

I couldn’t choose how to respond this because there are none with vomit. But here’s one: 🤮

What is wrong with humans? Again.: 🤮

• Love 9
On 2/10/2022 at 9:34 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Judging by the Brown family antics, I'd say surge is an understatement. :D

Seriously though, I think people are so full of fear these days that many are losing touch with reality.  

Yeah, we have all noticed a big jump in grocery prices, something I brought 2 weeks ago for 1.99 is now 2.19 -on my neighborhood app people complaining that their natural gas prices for heat doubled and some real estate investor just brought a senior citizen complex and is now hiking rents 50%. I can see where people are fed up, but geez don't take it out on innocent people.  

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:
6 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Seriously though, I think people are so full of fear these days that many are losing touch with reality.  

Fear and anger.

Yes.  This is timely for me, I had a very scary experience today while driving on the main road close to my house.  I saw a car signaling to make a left turn from the left lane of a two lane road where there was no left turn lane, so I decided to change lanes into the right lane to avoid them.  A second or so later while I was in the middle of the lane change the driver behind me decided to get in the right lane too, only he was going much too fast and had to stop short to avoid hitting me.  Of course he honked and gestured at me like I was the one to blame!  I had honked too thinking he was going to hit me.  But that wasn't the end.  He kept dogging me the whole way down the road, pulling up next to me to give me the finger and at one point pulling a dangerous maneuver crossing the double yellow line to get in front of me and jam on his brakes.  I was beyond scared at this point and decided to slow way down and pull off to the right into a shopping center parking lot to get away from him, but just when I thought he was gone I saw him behind me, chasing me in the parking lot!  He had to have pulled another very dangerous maneuver in order to follow me.  At the time I pulled into the lot he was in the left lane ahead of me with cars all around.  How he got into the lot so fast without causing an accident I don't know.  At that point I was scared thinking this must be a real wacko and thought about calling the police.  But first I had to get away from him because today you never know if the person has a gun and will harm you.  I found a gap in the cars to turn around in the opposite direction and then a left to go off behind the supermarket.  I know this shopping plaza very well and knew I would be able to lose him before he caught up to me.  He must have gotten caught behind traffic in the lot.  I was afraid that when I came around the other side of the supermarket he might be there waiting for me.  It didn't help that there was a black Audi that looked similar parked way out in the lot.  I waited until there was a lot of traffic obstructing the car before sneaking out and turning onto the country road away from the main road.  I took the back roads to another town where I stayed for about an hour doing some shopping.  I was very shaken by this.  I haven't had something even close to this happen in a long time, especially so close to home.

Much later I came back to the supermarket to do some shopping and that Audi was still parked there.  It turns out it wasn't that guy's.  It was a different model.  I wish I had taken the guy's license plate but I was so busy trying to avoid him that I couldn't do it.  I don't think he was from my area because his license plate holder was for a dealership in a town about 25 miles away.  I think these days with the wackos out there everyone needs a dash cam.  My husband got one last year after he almost got a ticket he didn't deserve and it's been amazing.  

• Love 1

The roads have gotten so dangerous over the last couple of years.  Stunts that idiots used to pull around us a couple times of year at most is now a weekly occurrence.  I honestly believe these folks have a death wish.  Keep very aware while driving, y'all.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Yeah, we have all noticed a big jump in grocery prices, something I brought 2 weeks ago for 1.99 is now 2.19 -on my neighborhood app people complaining that their natural gas prices for heat doubled and some real estate investor just brought a senior citizen complex and is now hiking rents 50%. I can see where people are fed up, but geez don't take it out on innocent people.  

This.

We’re ALL affected by this and taking it out on one another is damaging. The perfect stranger that’s attacked because someone is “angry” doesn’t solve anything, it just makes things worse. 

I have issues, too. I have PTSD, anxiety AND autism. When lights are too bright or it’s too noisy and crowded, that doesn’t give me any reason to harm another person simply because I am upset, scared or triggered. If I’m attacked, sure, I’ll escape or defend myself (or others). If I’m just scared or having my issues, never. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Punctuation
  • Love 12
On 2/12/2022 at 6:18 AM, Rabbit Hutch said:

The roads have gotten so dangerous over the last couple of years.  Stunts that idiots used to pull around us a couple times of year at most is now a weekly occurrence.  I honestly believe these folks have a death wish.  Keep very aware while driving, y'all.

I usually read stories on line about stuff like this.  But saw it first hand yesterday and it affected me.  Was getting off one major interstate highway to get onto another one.  I was behind a very slow car, the person behind me was right up behind me honking, like that was going to make the person in front of me move faster, then they tried to pass while still on a one lane bridge.  Then after exiting the bridge the person sped around us into 5 lanes of traffic.  Then after a few minutes traffic started backing up.  I thought it was just people trying to get off onto another major interstate hwy.  I was trying to move over so I could get onto that hwy.  I got into the exit lane but the cars behind me were honking and moving up basically pushing me back over onto the hwy I had no choice but to stay on the hwy I was on.  It was a funeral procession on a major interstate why on a very busy day.  I took off the next available exit and took the long way home.  It was really crazy out.

Be careful out there people.

• Love 8

Has the new Sister Lies thread been taken down?  It no longer appears on the roster and when I try to click on notifications, I get "You do not have permission to view this content".

Edited by Sandy W
19 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I usually read stories on line about stuff like this.  But saw it first hand yesterday and it affected me.  Was getting off one major interstate highway to get onto another one.  I was behind a very slow car, the person behind me was right up behind me honking, like that was going to make the person in front of me move faster, then they tried to pass while still on a one lane bridge.  Then after exiting the bridge the person sped around us into 5 lanes of traffic.  Then after a few minutes traffic started backing up.  I thought it was just people trying to get off onto another major interstate hwy.  I was trying to move over so I could get onto that hwy.  I got into the exit lane but the cars behind me were honking and moving up basically pushing me back over onto the hwy I had no choice but to stay on the hwy I was on.  It was a funeral procession on a major interstate why on a very busy day.  I took off the next available exit and took the long way home.  It was really crazy out.

Be careful out there people.

Goodness, Pickle, I'm glad everything turned out alright for you.  You never know who the crazies are so you did the right thing by just avoiding them at all costs.  ☠

You got the drivers who believe that the laws don't apply to them in normal times, and they got a hefty taste of freedom on the roads when the country was basically shut down.  Now, they don't want to go back to sharing the roads, and they have went from being dangerous to being a downright menace. Sadly, I don't think it's gonna get better anytime soon.  

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

ou got the drivers who believe that the laws don't apply to them in normal times, and they got a hefty taste of freedom on the roads when the country was basically shut down.  Now, they don't want to go back to sharing the roads, and they have went from being dangerous to being a downright menace. Sadly, I don't think it's gonna get better anytime soon.  

Yeah, there have always been lawless drivers but things are ramping up especially in urban area. And throw in people who have been working from home and now are being forced back into offices against their will to add to the frustration factor. 

I am blessed to be in the country with all two lanes so it's not as bad traffic wise.  I can pretty much do all back roads if I want to stay out of anyone's way.

• Love 6

I posted over a week ago about having to make a decision about where to lay my parents to rest.  My father had wanted to be put in a veterans cemetery.  I was tossed up over putting them in a cemetery here in CT or one out on Long Island in NY.  Well, I was poking around online yesterday and found out that the cemetery in CT is not a national cemetery but a state one, which means that they would have had to be CT residents during their lives to qualify to be placed there.  And CT has no national cemeteries.  I found out that only 8 states don't have national cemeteries, and CT is one of them.  So I guess my decision has been made for me. 

I have to say that I am actually happy about this because NY was their home all their lives.  Plus it's not quite so bad to get there if I take the ferry from Bridgeport to Pt. Jefferson.  That shaves off a lot of driving and traffic, and possibly even some time from the trip depending on traffic.  It's about an hour from here to Bridgeport by car, then about an hour and a half for the ferry ride, then another half hour to get to the cemetery.  It's on the North shore in a less trafficked area.  We did the ferry ride years ago and it was fun so I'm not against it, plus it's not hideously expensive either.  

I'll be sure to wave at @TurtlePowerwhen I'm out there!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I posted over a week ago about having to make a decision about where to lay my parents to rest.  My father had wanted to be put in a veterans cemetery.  I was tossed up over putting them in a cemetery here in CT or one out on Long Island in NY.  Well, I was poking around online yesterday and found out that the cemetery in CT is not a national cemetery but a state one, which means that they would have had to be CT residents during their lives to qualify to be placed there.  And CT has no national cemeteries.  I found out that only 8 states don't have national cemeteries, and CT is one of them.  So I guess my decision has been made for me. 

I have to say that I am actually happy about this because NY was their home all their lives.  Plus it's not quite so bad to get there if I take the ferry from Bridgeport to Pt. Jefferson.  That shaves off a lot of driving and traffic, and possibly even some time from the trip depending on traffic.  It's about an hour from here to Bridgeport by car, then about an hour and a half for the ferry ride, then another half hour to get to the cemetery.  It's on the North shore in a less trafficked area.  We did the ferry ride years ago and it was fun so I'm not against it, plus it's not hideously expensive either.  

I'll be sure to wave at @TurtlePowerwhen I'm out there!

I’m on the south shore but I’ll be looking for the wave! Glad you found a solution for your parents. 

We cannot wait to try the ferry. We want to go to Salem and other historic places and thought it would be more fun taking the ferry than going ALLL the way into the city and up and around to get up there. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I’m on the south shore but I’ll be looking for the wave! Glad you found a solution for your parents. 

We cannot wait to try the ferry. We want to go to Salem and other historic places and thought it would be more fun taking the ferry than going ALLL the way into the city and up and around to get up there. 

Thank you!  I wonder if taking the ferry from Orient Pt. to New London might be a better choice for you than taking the Pt. Jefferson one since it would put you closer to MA.  The more you can avoid L.I. traffic and I95 traffic in CT the better.  I've been up on the North Fork before and it's beautiful and there's much less traffic.

BTW, I've been to Salem a few times, even last Summer and it was fun.  There are a lot of good beaches up in that area too, BTW.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Does anyone have any tips on buying crutches?  I have never used them.  I’ve often seen others using them and wondered how?  My intermittent knee issue went into full mode today.  I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and I’m just hoping I can manage to get there.  It’s so weird, because yesterday it seemed really good. Today….omg, it was terrible and now I’m terrified that I literally can’t put weight on the right knee.  With all that I have to do? It’s unimaginable.  Applying ice now. I’ve been very light on the knee. I’ve gotten instacart and avoided walking as much as possible.    It’s not just the knee, it’s in the shin too.  If you recall, I injured it right before Christmas, but it didn’t act up or even hurt until recently.  Right now, it doesn’t hurt unless I put weight on it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any tips on buying crutches?  I have never used them.  I’ve often seen others using them and wondered how?  My intermittent knee issue went into full mode today.  I have a doctor appointment tomorrow and I’m just hoping I can manage to get there.  It’s so weird, because yesterday it seemed really good. Today….omg, it was terrible and now I’m terrified that I literally can’t put weight on the right knee.  With all that I have to do? It’s unimaginable.  Applying ice now. I’ve been very light on the knee. I’ve gotten instacart and avoided walking as much as possible.    It’s not just the knee, it’s in the shin too.  If you recall, I injured it right before Christmas, but it didn’t act up or even hurt until recently.  Right now, it doesn’t hurt unless I put weight on it.  

Ouch!! 😔 

The pad on crutches should be about 2 inches below your armpit, and the hand grips should be even with the top of your hips, or at your wrist, so that your arms can be slightly bent. Your armpits should never rest on the pads, even when standing still. A medical supply store will size you.

I wouldn’t purchase them unless your doctor says you should use them. 

Hope you feel better quickly!

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

Ouch!! 😔 

The pad on crutches should be about 2 inches below your armpit, and the hand grips should be even with the top of your hips, or at your wrist, so that your arms can be slightly bent. Your armpits should never rest on the pads, even when standing still. A medical supply store will size you.

I wouldn’t purchase them unless your doctor says you should use them. 

Hope you feel better quickly!

Thanks. I’ll ask the doctor for tips when I get there…if I can get there without crutches. That’s the thing….I have no idea how I’ll get there.  She’s my primary and I’m actually scheduled for an annual checkup, but the knee is a huge issue. Hope she’ll help me soon.  Even if I get an appointment with ortho urgent care, how do I get there, if I can’t walk?  I’m praying it improves over night.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks. I’ll ask the doctor for tips when I get there…if I can get there without crutches. That’s the thing….I have no idea how I’ll get there.  She’s my primary and I’m actually scheduled for an annual checkup, but the knee is a huge issue. Hope she’ll help me soon.  Even if I get an appointment with ortho urgent care, how do I get there, if I can’t walk?  I’m praying it improves over night.

Call them and ask if they can please have someone come to the car and get you with a wheelchair.  If possible have a friend or neighbor go with you and they can go inside, get the wheelchair, and then wheel you to the waiting room.  They may need to wait outside during the appointment.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

Call them and ask if they can please have someone come to the car and get you with a wheelchair.  If possible have a friend or neighbor go with you and they can go inside, get the wheelchair, and then wheel you to the waiting room.  They may need to wait outside during the appointment.  

Great idea!  I’ll do that. The only thing is that some places won’t let you use their wheelchairs.  I discovered that when I took my disabled cousin to appointments.  I suppose liability concerns. I just remembered that my parents have a wheelchair …..I might be able to take it with me.  And, drive my parents larger car that has a handicap parking decal.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Even if I get an appointment with ortho urgent care, how do I get there, if I can’t walk?

I'd call ahead to make sure there is a wheelchair available just to be on the safe side.  And if getting out to a car is difficult without a prop of some kind, you might try using a folding chair.  Have it facing forward and push it ahead of you, using the back to hang on to.  It will take some of the weight off the the bad leg.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Me again!

It may seem backwards, but when using crutches, a cane, or walker, you use your injured leg first, and use whichever aid to bear the weight. With a cane, you use it on the opposite side of the injury.

• Useful 5

Thanks for those tips.  I also just discovered that my parents also have a rollater or whatever you call it.  I’m not sure how it would work, but it’s easier to handle than a wheelchair.  We’ll see.  Even if it feels better tomorrow, I’m not putting much weight on it, until I see doctor and get instruction.  

• Love 5

The rollater will probably work out for you as an assist if not, ask your doctor about organizations that may be able to help you out.  Where I live, there is a group called Community Cares that offers all sorts of handicap assists, wheelchairs, crutches, canes etc.  No fee, but a donation is expected when the item is returned.  Your doctor would have the pipeline to know if something similar is available in your community if your parent's wheelchair or rollater aren't just right for you.  

I hope you can navigate your doctor appointment tomorrow without too much pain.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

The rollater will probably work out for you as an assist if not, ask your doctor about organizations that may be able to help you out.  Where I live, there is a group called Community Cares that offers all sorts of handicap assists, wheelchairs, crutches, canes etc.  No fee, but a donation is expected when the item is returned.  Your doctor would have the pipeline to know if something similar is available in your community if your parent's wheelchair or rollater aren't just right for you.  

I hope you can navigate your doctor appointment tomorrow without too much pain.

Thanks.  I’ll ask about resources.  My brother left his crutches at my parents house for years….not sure what happened to them.  I can’t get up into attic. Lol

I’m fortunate to have a good friend who will be willing to drive me anywhere.  I just need to give her notice. Like a couple days at least.  So, moving forward, she’ll take me to appointments, therapy etc.  She used to transport her aunt to appointments all the time, putting wheelchair in the back of car. So, she’s a pro.  

I’m imagining having to appear in court, meet with clients, …..omg….this may seriously impact my livelihood :(. But, I’m going to stay positive until I know more about diagnosis and prognosis.  And, I’m also caregiver for my 80 yr old parents.  ……..We make plans and God laughs.   😂

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

My daughter managed the clients and court thing in a knee brace and with crutches.  She took three days and a weekend off for surgery.  It isn't fun, but it's doable.

Oh really!  Oh, that’s great news!  Knowing it’s feasible means so much.  Of course, our courts now conduct matters handled remotely by Webex for some matters.  Maybe, I’ll be able to do that as well.  Thanks for letting me know about your daughter. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

No secret, I have been having huge problems with my right knee. I think before I would go to crutches, I would consider a walker. I notice when I am shopping, holding on to the cart, my knee doesn't hurt as much. I have pending cataract surgery, I can't deal with knee surgery too!

• Love 2

Sadly, I have had a lot of personal experience in this area (two knee replacement procedures on the same knee).  I found a walker much easier to use and I felt much more secure than with crutches.  A walker with 2 wheels has more control, but the rollator-type with the seat is very convenient when you need to move things at home.  But you need to progress to the rollator.  You need to get medical advice before you do anything or use any equipment (after you make it to the doctor).  When I was using a  walker or rollator post surgery, I found Uber and Lyft drivers very helpful, and they would stow my equipment for me.  Knee injuries are a PAIN--but there are workarounds.  Just be sure to follow advise of your Dr. and PT, and don't try to do things too fast.  Good luck, and remember, ice is your friend! (but no longer than 20 minutes at a time--longer can actually make things worse.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I had surgery to replace a torn ACL and used crutches, but a rollator would work too if you have one with brakes or only 2 wheels so it doesn't get away from you.

What I found easier than ice was frozen peas (or corn). I had two large ziplock freezer bags half full (so you can mold it around your knee) and would alternate them since after 20 minutes on the knee they get softer but the other bag would be ready to go.  I even kept a bag in the freezer at work!

I would park at the grocery store right next to the outdoor cart return, use the cart to go inside, shop, return to my car, unload groceries, put the cart in the return spot and hop back in my car. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I appreciate the tips.  I was planning to get instacart or pickup at the grocery store, but now I’m thinking of using the motorized cart at the store.  After checkout, I’ll ask them to take them to my car for me.  Hate to seem demanding, but…..up until now, I’ve always offered to help anyone with a cane, walker, parked in handicapped space, etc.  I’d go out of my way to push carts back to the store for people who were handicapped.  Never thought I’d be on the other side.  

I iced last night and have tried to spare the knee as much as possible.  It’s some better and I can make it to the doctor with a cane. Borrowed my dad’s.  I discovered my insurance covers one of the best orthopedist is the state and I made an appointment. They’re going to try to get me in earlier….we’ll see.  Think I’ll have to see someone before early March.  

I really feel for people who have gone though knee issues long term.  It definitely requires planning.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I need to rant about something—where I currently live, it seems like half the population marinates in marijuana. They stink up the pharmacy and grocery stores like it’s a badge of honor. I have no problem when people do it at home, but some of these people smell like they just got out of their car and have been smoking for hours with the windows rolled up. 🤮

I had to pick up a prescription yesterday and the entire CVS stunk of weed and cigarettes. I own a gas mask and felt like I should have been wearing it. It almost made me throw up. 

1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I need to rant about something—where I currently live, it seems like half the population marinates in marijuana. They stink up the pharmacy and grocery stores like it’s a badge of honor. I have no problem when people do it at home, but some of these people smell like they just got out of their car and have been smoking for hours with the windows rolled up. 🤮

I had to pick up a prescription yesterday and the entire CVS stunk of weed and cigarettes. I own a gas mask and felt like I should have been wearing it. It almost made me throw up. 

It’s like that here too 😞 I just wish more people would opt for edibles…

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

It’s like that here too 😞 I just wish more people would opt for edibles…

It would be better for everyone's lungs, too.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Stale cigarette odor is awful to me.  I feel nauseous when I smell it.  I remember when smoking was allowed in bars and restaurants, and having to leave before ordering anything when it was thick.  

Weed doesn't make me nauseous, but it can reek badly, too.  

I used to work in the same area as a woman that bathed in Oscar de la Renta perfume.  It would give me headaches, it was so strong!  A little scent goes a long way.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I have noticed that wearing a mask all of the time really cuts down on the unpleasant smells around me.

The odor seeps through, even when I spray my N95 with scented hand sanitizer. 

I just don’t understand how some people seem to take pride in smelling like they just dropped out of skunk’s anus. Maybe they’re too high and fucked up to care. Most of these people look vacant anyways, as if there’s nothing going on upstairs—they’re pretty much foul smelling zombies. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

How’s it going @SunnyBeBe ?

I’m okay.  My primary said I should follow up with the ortho doctor, rest it, use a walker, apply Valtarian cream……she said crutches were risky and a brace should be fitted after diagnosis.  I was hoping she’d be more interested in it, but I was there for a physical…..so an injured knee isn’t included.  Lol She didn’t offer to take an x-Ray.

It’s been a little better, but I’m being very careful with it.  I still have intermittent pain in the thigh, shin, lower leg and knee.   At least I can get around better that last week. I’m using a cane and walker inside the house to spare it from what weight I can.   Praying my mobility continues.   Thanks for asking.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

I had a brutal week at work this week and just need to vent. (With everything going on in the world, it seems kind of petty even to discuss these things but...)

So I'm working with a customer service "team" (how I hate that word for non-sports activities) of very young people, a few millennials but mostly mid-20s (I'm 61). I've had the job for just 5 months (lost former job, where I was valued and survived 3 or 4 rounds of layoffs, due to pandemic). It's been work from home thankfully but now that Omicron has subsided in NYC, they want us to start coming in 2x/week. With commute times it's gonna be an 11 hour day. The company pays for 8 hours but you have to work 9 and supposedly take an hour unpaid lunch break. I'm only in it for the health insurance but am also a hard worker. 

Three times in the past 2 weeks I've been called into zoom meetings with an upset younger colleague and at least one supervisor (once it was 3 supervisors and a co-worker.) I've been handling most of the incoming phone calls and 9/10 times the person who the call is for won't take it, yet somehow I'm the bad guy if I try to handle the customer's request, but also if I do not and ask them to take the call. (This is not typical cust. svc. where everyone has access to all the same info. The customer assignments are based on which account each service rep works with. We're all assigned to different accounts with differing parameters and procedures.) So we use gchat but often the other reps just tell me to tell the customer (who is usually already upset no one has responded to them) that they will call or email the customer. More than a few times the same customers call me again several days later to say that no one has called them back. Even when I take a message and send an email to the customer and introduce/copy the other rep, explain the customer's request etc -- that rep often doesn't respond until the customer emails me or calls me again. (See a pattern here? Customers know that I will help them because others won't.) However the supervisor is all about "the team" so it is not considered a good thing that I try to help the customer because it makes it seem like I'm the only one who will help them. Then I get chastised for trying to take on too much or somehow disrespecting the other co-worker.

The main problem is that these young people are super over-sensitive so even when I express requests in the gentlest way possible they get upset that I am not being a team player, I'm promising the customers things I shouldn't etc. Then suddenly there is a meeting with the supervisor because the other rep is apparently too upset to just speak to me on their own.  When the other rep vents, the supervisor either says nothing or takes their side. Then she privately tells me I'm doing an awesome job with the customers but that I need to be more sensitive to "the team" and their needs.

Also the same rep who today accused me of "disrespecting" her, told me yesterday in response to my request for her help "it's your job to handle it since you took the call." So then I handled it as best I knew how and it turned out I did totally the wrong thing and that's what prompted the meeting today with the supervisor because my mistaken action made it more complicated and time consuming for the other rep. I would never ever tell someone "it's your job not mine" unless I was in a supervisory role - and even then I'd be careful to phrase it in a respectful way. I'd never utter the phrase "it's not my job" either.

I guess my telling them I don't feel safe working onsite with people who don't even have to be vaccinated is going to be "the last straw" as Milton from the brillian "Office Space" movie always mumbles under his breath. Things have gotten so ridiculous that I rewatched it 2 weeks ago. Then they started making us write up our goals (personal and team) for the quarter and the year and I *really* felt that I was in the "Office Space" universe.

Maybe I need to become a "boss babe" like Meri. Oh wait, I don't have 100K followers on Instagram and a TV audience of 10+ years. Sigh...

8 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

I had a brutal week at work this week and just need to vent. (With everything going on in the world, it seems kind of petty even to discuss these things but...)

So I'm working with a customer service "team" (how I hate that word for non-sports activities) of very young people, a few millennials but mostly mid-20s (I'm 61). I've had the job for just 5 months (lost former job, where I was valued and survived 3 or 4 rounds of layoffs, due to pandemic). It's been work from home thankfully but now that Omicron has subsided in NYC, they want us to start coming in 2x/week. With commute times it's gonna be an 11 hour day. The company pays for 8 hours but you have to work 9 and supposedly take an hour unpaid lunch break. I'm only in it for the health insurance but am also a hard worker. 

Three times in the past 2 weeks I've been called into zoom meetings with an upset younger colleague and at least one supervisor (once it was 3 supervisors and a co-worker.) I've been handling most of the incoming phone calls and 9/10 times the person who the call is for won't take it, yet somehow I'm the bad guy if I try to handle the customer's request, but also if I do not and ask them to take the call. (This is not typical cust. svc. where everyone has access to all the same info. The customer assignments are based on which account each service rep works with. We're all assigned to different accounts with differing parameters and procedures.) So we use gchat but often the other reps just tell me to tell the customer (who is usually already upset no one has responded to them) that they will call or email the customer. More than a few times the same customers call me again several days later to say that no one has called them back. Even when I take a message and send an email to the customer and introduce/copy the other rep, explain the customer's request etc -- that rep often doesn't respond until the customer emails me or calls me again. (See a pattern here? Customers know that I will help them because others won't.) However the supervisor is all about "the team" so it is not considered a good thing that I try to help the customer because it makes it seem like I'm the only one who will help them. Then I get chastised for trying to take on too much or somehow disrespecting the other co-worker.

The main problem is that these young people are super over-sensitive so even when I express requests in the gentlest way possible they get upset that I am not being a team player, I'm promising the customers things I shouldn't etc. Then suddenly there is a meeting with the supervisor because the other rep is apparently too upset to just speak to me on their own.  When the other rep vents, the supervisor either says nothing or takes their side. Then she privately tells me I'm doing an awesome job with the customers but that I need to be more sensitive to "the team" and their needs.

Also the same rep who today accused me of "disrespecting" her, told me yesterday in response to my request for her help "it's your job to handle it since you took the call." So then I handled it as best I knew how and it turned out I did totally the wrong thing and that's what prompted the meeting today with the supervisor because my mistaken action made it more complicated and time consuming for the other rep. I would never ever tell someone "it's your job not mine" unless I was in a supervisory role - and even then I'd be careful to phrase it in a respectful way. I'd never utter the phrase "it's not my job" either.

I guess my telling them I don't feel safe working onsite with people who don't even have to be vaccinated is going to be "the last straw" as Milton from the brillian "Office Space" movie always mumbles under his breath. Things have gotten so ridiculous that I rewatched it 2 weeks ago. Then they started making us write up our goals (personal and team) for the quarter and the year and I *really* felt that I was in the "Office Space" universe.

Maybe I need to become a "boss babe" like Meri. Oh wait, I don't have 100K followers on Instagram and a TV audience of 10+ years. Sigh...

Why are your personal goals any of their business?

• Love 8