Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Well, we finally got the predicted snow.  Just a dusting last weekend.  They say it’s 3.2 inches.  So, staying in this weekend….getting some work done then watching movies with a little wine.  Anyone else get snow?  I’m in NC.  
Backyard is pretty, but it’s really cold!  Its 22 degrees right now!🥶

A3729A6F-581F-49E6-A8BD-E3751D8EE50D.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, we finally got the predicted snow.  Just a dusting last weekend.  They say it’s 3.2 inches.  So, staying in this weekend….getting some work done then watching movies with a little wine.  Anyone else get snow?  I’m in NC.  
Backyard is pretty, but it’s really cold!  Its 22 degrees right now!🥶

A3729A6F-581F-49E6-A8BD-E3751D8EE50D.jpeg

We got a little on Long Island, but not enough to be fun. I like skiing and snowshoeing, so this snow is just…….there. I miss Wisconsin winters where I could cross country ski a good chunk of the season. 

• Love 9

Currently watching the second season of Cheer and in one episode the force of the internet was discussed and particularly the negativity and attacking people. I started to think about our Sister Wives forum and my own contributions. And I want to share my thoughts with you all. (And no, no lecture is coming, so no worries😉)

I will admit, that occasionally I do wonder whether I should put something on the board. Usually, I still end up doing it. Why? Simple: The Browns do their very best to be the biggest idiots there are on (inter)national tv. On top, we have Meri, who has been downright nasty to the others on more than one occasion, and Kody who is becoming more cruel and nasty every single episode. In my opinion, they’re asking for it. That to me, is a fundamental difference and one of the reasons I snark on this bunch. I don’t do it with Cheer for instance. I don’t agree with everything either but I have a huge respect for what they can do and what they’re trying to achieve. I have little respect for Janelle and Meri, some for Christine (who only earned some recently) and none at all for Robyn and Kody. And as for those two (and Meri)  if you can lash out to people like that, then you have earned the backlash that’s coming on them now.

Also, when I look at the rest of them, you see that most of the kids are treated with respect. The ones that are chewed on and spit out again, generally deserve so because of what they do. But even then, sometimes praise is awarded or respect is shown when deserved. (Mariah and her support for Audrey for instance) As for spreading fake news? I don’t think we are either. Quite the opposite really. Most of us seem to make a sport out of proving or disproving rumors and usually add (reliable) sources, such as publicly accessible documents.

So, yes, I snark. No, I’m not always nice but I try to be fair and allow this little nasty devil of mine to come out every now and then at the cost of some who fully deserve so, bcause they’re asking for it.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve only been in zero degree weather a few times in my life.  Man…that’s brutal.  

It can be if a person isn’t dressed properly and it can get tiresome getting ready to go outside. Having lived in climates with 120 and -20, they are both brutal, but I got tired of the desert. I got tired of 9 months of oppressive heat and lows of 90. At least in the north we get seasons—when you’re tired of one, another is always on the way. In the desert southwest, it’s hot for 8-9 months and windy the rest of it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It can be if a person isn’t dressed properly and it can get tiresome getting ready to go outside. Having lived in climates with 120 and -20, they are both brutal, but I got tired of the desert. I got tired of 9 months of oppressive heat and lows of 90. At least in the north we get seasons—when you’re tired of one, another is always on the way. In the desert southwest, it’s hot for 8-9 months and windy the rest of it. 

I lived in Regina, Saskatchewan for 5 years and -40 was not uncommon in the winter, compounded by the fact that it's as flat as the southern deserts.  A nightmare when the wind comes whistling down the plains.  All parking lots are equipped with stanchions to plug your car into to prevent your engine from freezing.  I had 3 flat tires in one day as the rubber froze, the AAA (CAA in Canada) were kept very busy, so the wait time could be hours.

It sounds like a terrible place but it really wasn't.  The bitter cold was balanced by the warmth of the people there and rainbows after a rain were something to behold. 

• Love 9

Man, I guess I’ve been pretty spoiled.  NC has a pretty mild climate.  It’s rarely super cold and the super hot days occur within a couple summer months.  Yes, it’s over 100 with high humidity during the summer, but eventually there comes a break.  My main complaints weather wise are the numerous thunder storms with severe lightning and accompanying tornadoes.  It seems almost a daily occurrence during the warm months.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, I guess I’ve been pretty spoiled.  NC has a pretty mild climate.  It’s rarely super cold and the super hot days occur within a couple summer months.  Yes, it’s over 100 with high humidity during the summer, but eventually there comes a break.  My main complaints weather wise are the numerous thunder storms with severe lightning and accompanying tornadoes.  It seems almost a daily occurrence during the warm months.  

Tornadoes are super scary! We had them in December not far from where we live (one was flipping planes at the airport).  SO glad we have a basement where we’re living. I was surprised Long Island got tornadoes and more surprised we got them in December. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 1/22/2022 at 12:07 PM, LilyD said:

Currently watching the second season of Cheer and in one episode the force of the internet was discussed and particularly the negativity and attacking people. I started to think about our Sister Wives forum and my own contributions. And I want to share my thoughts with you all. (And no, no lecture is coming, so no worries😉)

I will admit, that occasionally I do wonder whether I should put something on the board. Usually, I still end up doing it. Why? Simple: The Browns do their very best to be the biggest idiots there are on (inter)national tv. On top, we have Meri, who has been downright nasty to the others on more than one occasion, and Kody who is becoming more cruel and nasty every single episode. In my opinion, they’re asking for it. That to me, is a fundamental difference and one of the reasons I snark on this bunch. I don’t do it with Cheer for instance. I don’t agree with everything either but I have a huge respect for what they can do and what they’re trying to achieve. I have little respect for Janelle and Meri, some for Christine (who only earned some recently) and none at all for Robyn and Kody. And as for those two (and Meri)  if you can lash out to people like that, then you have earned the backlash that’s coming on them now.

Also, when I look at the rest of them, you see that most of the kids are treated with respect. The ones that are chewed on and spit out again, generally deserve so because of what they do. But even then, sometimes praise is awarded or respect is shown when deserved. (Mariah and her support for Audrey for instance) As for spreading fake news? I don’t think we are either. Quite the opposite really. Most of us seem to make a sport out of proving or disproving rumors and usually add (reliable) sources, such as publicly accessible documents.

So, yes, I snark. No, I’m not always nice but I try to be fair and allow this little nasty devil of mine to come out every now and then at the cost of some who fully deserve so, bcause they’re asking for it.

My snark comes from the lies and dancing around the truth that the Browns put on television as if they are honestly showing their lives in polygamy.

Here is my take. Its like you are in a big stadium full of people watching a tennis match. The two players are swinging the rackets and appear to be putting their all into the match. The audience is silent and everyone's heads are going left then right then left again. But you are sitting and looking around at everyone because you were watching but quickly caught on that there. is. no. ball. It's all a deliberate farce with just enough real to keep those who aren't really paying attention thinking that its true and real. Then you go online to find that there are a few people who also saw it wasn't real and you find people to discuss it with. 😁

My fascination was how they spin what they want you to think and then the comparison with the real things that can be proven as you mentioned online documents. What has always perplexed me was the difference with what they published in their book vs what they talked about on the show. They put it in print and then sold it and its out there, yet they try to put a different spin when talking about it a few years later.

The last few seasons have been a case study in sub text. What aren't they saying while they are saying something vague. It's like a game really. Sometimes you expect Robyn to look off camera and shout "LINE" like Michael Scott in the Deposition. For me its become an anthropological fascination in body language.

Aways back on Reddit someone posted a link to a video that was recorded by Kollene (sp?), the Kingston clan  girl that dressed like an 80's girl, who was on the show when the older kids went to paint a house and again during the debate talks that were an unsupervised disaster. She recorded her opinion shortly after the debate and made a comment that the Browns brought the drama right out of the gate. She commented that "they probably learned with their show to amp up the drama". Kody has always felt like a natural drama queen and now that he seems to have settled into a very angry man his ratings are improving, only feeding him even more.

But. I have watched from the beginning and I will until the bitter end. My best guess is that the end of Sister Wives will leave a few people like the end of the Truman Show when the tv screen just cut out and it was all over.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

@Roslyn The last few seasons are like a case study…. Spot on! And we are a bunch of sleuths picking the spoken words, facial expressions and other proof apart! I bet we’d be an awesome cold case team. There seems to be little we miss☺️

• Love 9
2 hours ago, endure said:

It seems as though People magazine is the only reliable source for this type of information.  They seem to have a direct link to TLC and what they print has proven to be true.

It was worth clicking on the link though for another glimpse of that group photo.  Robyn looks like she is ready to strut the LV strip and Meri looks like she is off to fell a few trees on the Plains of Plague.

• LOL 5

Would you change doctors if you found out the doctor: 

1. Went to a college for 2 more years/another degree because they were not able to get into USA medical school. 

2. went to a medical school in the Caribbean?

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Would you changed doctors if you found out the doctor: 

1. Went to a college for 2 more years/another degree because they were not able to get into USA medical school. 

If they got their initial medical degree in the Caribbean, then attended 2 more years to qualify for a degree in the USA, it would indicate a level of commitment.  I would give him/her a fair chance.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

If they got their initial medical degree in the Caribbean, then attended 2 more years to qualify for a degree in the USA, it would indicate a level of commitment.  I would give him/her a fair chance.

No they got 2 year degree first then m.d. from Caribbean 

12 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

No they got 2 year degree first then m.d. from Caribbean 

I don't know how an MD degree from the Caribbean would be ranked, their standards could be equivalent to USA.  I do know that all of North America has very stringent qualifications to be licensed to practice medicine.  They may have chosen a Caribbean medical school because of cost factor or maybe eventually plan to specialize in tropical disease.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

7 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

There are not enough medical school spots , in the USA for everyone who wants to be a doctor.

My doctor went to medical school in the Caribbean.  She said it was a lot cheaper.

My doctor 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Confession… I have just treated myself to one HUGE box of chocolates! All for me… almost 1.5lbs, I am feeling slightly guilty. So far for my new years resolution to get rid of the 10lbs that are between me and my ideal weight.

But hey…it was Ruby chocolate. One of my favorite flavors that are also pretty hard to come by. So, there’s my excuse. I’ll try to make it last for 2 weeks but seriously doubt it’s gonna last that long…

• Love 7
12 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

For me, it would depend on the care received, regardless of the above information.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

For me, would depend on the care received, regardless of the above information.

I’ve had doctors like this (government contracts go figure they pick the cheapest they can) and the level of skill was concerning to me, as someone who has worked in EMS. I had one who said they couldn’t hear any wheezing, well, that’s because you’re across the room doc why don’t you try using the stethoscope? Or don’t you know how? There was also an inability to come to a logical conclusion and consideration of further testing based on physical exam and vitals. It was scary. 

Not saying they’re all like this but I’ve had some sketchy ones. Might as well have been a totally green, brand new EMT. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, iwantcookies said:

Stay safe everyone the storm is on its way! It’s already snowing in NYC. 

Here in PA also. The forecast keeps changing as far as how much we’ll get. ❄️ ️ 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Stay safe everyone the storm is on its way! It’s already snowing in NYC. 

Not sure how much snow will actually accumulate… need to watch the news later.

I’m so excited! We’re projected to get 19 inches. I’ve got my skis ready (lots of forest and trails where I’m at) and also love shovelling! I love winter! 

⛷️❄️☃️

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Here in Northern Georgia we've already shut the schools down for the next week, bought out all of the bread and milk in the grocery stores, and created a phone tree for all of our affected loved ones.  Amount of precipitation expected?  Less than a quarter of an inch!  

I LOVE my fellow Southern peeps! We never let a weather event go to waste.  Can I get an Amen!!! 😛

Something similar happened in Las Vegas in 2009. We got 6 inches of snow (which melted a few days later) and it was like an apocalypse was coming—people bought EVERYTHING. And it was fine a few days later, back in the 60s. 

As someone from Wisconsin who grew up in the wilderness where we were actually snowed in for days sometimes, this was humorous to me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

18-24+ inches forecasted here, along with hurricane force winds. That much snow is bad, but the projected power outages are what have me worried. I was at Target at 7:15, then did my grocery shopping at a couple of other stores. It was really busy, but I’ve seen worse the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. My snow blower is not working, but my next door neighbor is going to check it out later today. Fingers crossed he can fix it! I’m finishing up all of the laundry this afternoon and vacuuming so that if we do lose power at least that stuff will be done. Oh, and I’m also working - I love WFH and my team being on the opposite coast, because I can start late and work late on days like this. 

Good luck to everyone getting bad weather!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Here in Northern Georgia we've already shut the schools down for the next week, bought out all of the bread and milk in the grocery stores, and created a phone tree for all of our affected loved ones.  Amount of precipitation expected?  Less than a quarter of an inch!  

I LOVE my fellow Southern peeps! We never let a weather event go to waste.  Can I get an Amen!!! 😛

Southern Middle TN here: AMEN! 😂 

Been watching a steady stream of cars all morning, headed into town to Walmart. Won't do them much good, because the last time I was there, the shelves were pretty picked over (in the food and pet aisles at least. Two of our cats will eat pretty much anything, but the little feisty one is very picky. I haven't been able to find his particular preference for weeks. It's concerning.)

There's supposed to be rain, snow, winter mix, and idk what else, but it looks like most of it will be to the North, South and East of us. We're in a little high spot that most of the crazy weather misses, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Those of you with real weather, please be safe and stay warm!

• Love 8

It's always amusing to me to see what people consider "essential" before an impending storm.  When I live elsewhere I got behind a young guy in line in the grocery store.  The mothers were all loading up with milk and bread.  He had four boxes of Cheerios, four cartons of beer, and some some potato chips and beef jerky.

Now that I am in northern MI, a storm is just a ho-hum event for us.  Although I do have a generator;  I'm too damned old to go without heat for days.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Although I do have a generator;  I'm too damned old to go without heat for days.

This is our next purchase! We're trying to figure out which way to go, but we may be limited to a large portable type since there are no gas lines out here. The giant propane tanks I see around town make me really nervous and I don't know if I could go that route. (Giant bomb just sitting in the yard 😆)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

It's always amusing to me to see what people consider "essential" before an impending storm.  When I live elsewhere I got behind a young guy in line in the grocery store.  The mothers were all loading up with milk and bread.  He had four boxes of Cheerios, four cartons of beer, and some some potato chips and beef jerky.

Now that I am in northern MI, a storm is just a ho-hum event for us.  Although I do have a generator;  I'm too damned old to go without heat for days.

What gets me is that some people don’t already have “emergency” foods—a couple weeks or perhaps a month of things they could rely on if the power does go out during a storm. It might not be what they want on the daily, but they wouldn’t have to run out and act all “the-world-is-ending”, either. 

I grew up spending every summer preparing for winter (food, wood for heating), so the lack of preparation and last-minute shopping befuddles me. 

• Love 8

And it’s still snowing steadily! It hadn’t snowed this much for about a year. I’m staying home lol.

For me essential food is:

canned chef boyardee etc 

crackers and sardines 

meal replacement shakes/bars

water

i only have 1 bag of chips lol. Didn’t want to buy too much junk food

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Man, the lines were long in the stores yesterday in preparation fir the snow.  😆 We got a dusting so light that I could barely see it on my porch.  There were no carts available, so when my arms got full I commandeered a display cart of designer beer! Lol. The lines were half way down the aisles on all checkouts……I finally got in the one for self checkout.  I had enough in the cupboards to get by awhile, but just wanted a few extras.  I think crowding into the stores before a snow prediction is sort of a custom in the south (NC).  We rarely get pinned down due to bad roads for more than a couple of days.  

Can I get some ideas on sympathy gifts?  I’ve looked online for ideas and have ordered a couple of things that I’m giving my SIL after the loss of her brother. (A canvas print with her favorite bird with comforting message).  I posted about it earlier. Well, her brothers wife, who was also sick with covid, just died too.  So…its a sad situation.  No formal plans at this time, but I wanted to get her something meaningful and so I ordered the gifts.  I also want to send flowers or a plant.  They fade so fast though and sometimes the quality is not up to my standards.  Any ideas on how to address this? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I also want to send flowers or a plant.

This is entirely a personal opinion but I hated getting plants when my parents died.  They just serve to remind me  of their demise and some of the baskets that are put together grow into big, gangly forests and seem to grow at different rates so you can't trim anything to look nice.  Yet I hated to throw them out since they cost so much.  Again, that's just me.

Perhaps a book, something that is of interest to them like music or art or travel?  Maybe one with pictures of her favorite vacation spot?

It's hard but it's very nice of you to look for something more personal.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

This is our next purchase! We're trying to figure out which way to go, but we may be limited to a large portable type since there are no gas lines out here. The giant propane tanks I see around town make me really nervous and I don't know if I could go that route. (Giant bomb just sitting in the yard 😆)

My mom has had propane for 38 years now, propane tank replaced once.  It was great the few times they lost power.  My dad had a line run into the living room for a gas heater which came in handy to at least warm up the living room when the power was out.  Plus we had a gas stove.  So were still able to cook even without power.   Just be aware of leaks, you can smell the gas.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Beer, jerky, chips=single lol

• LOL 7
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, the lines were long in the stores yesterday in preparation fir the snow.  😆 We got a dusting so light that I could barely see it on my porch.  There were no carts available, so when my arms got full I commandeered a display cart of designer beer! Lol. The lines were half way down the aisles on all checkouts……I finally got in the one for self checkout.  I had enough in the cupboards to get by awhile, but just wanted a few extras.  I think crowding into the stores before a snow prediction is sort of a custom in the south (NC).  We rarely get pinned down due to bad roads for more than a couple of days.  

Can I get some ideas on sympathy gifts?  I’ve looked online for ideas and have ordered a couple of things that I’m giving my SIL after the loss of her brother. (A canvas print with her favorite bird with comforting message).  I posted about it earlier. Well, her brothers wife, who was also sick with covid, just died too.  So…its a sad situation.  No formal plans at this time, but I wanted to get her something meaningful and so I ordered the gifts.  I also want to send flowers or a plant.  They fade so fast though and sometimes the quality is not up to my standards.  Any ideas on how to address this? 

Gift card to a local restaurant / grocery store

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Something similar happened in Las Vegas in 2009. We got 6 inches of snow (which melted a few days later) and it was like an apocalypse was coming—people bought EVERYTHING. And it was fine a few days later, back in the 60s. 

As someone from Wisconsin who grew up in the wilderness where we were actually snowed in for days sometimes, this was humorous to me. 

This put a smile to my face! A few years back, we were posted to the UK. A beautiful country when the sun shines but with a very soft, moderate climate and lots and lots of rain.
School closed on 3 occasions because of the “snow”. It looked like someone had ripped open a box of icing sugar and had sprinkled the roads and hedges! I laughed so hard that I almost wet my pants! It was all gone by 9am

• Love 8

Living close to the gulf I aways keep a ` hurricane shelf ` canned meat, self stable milk, batteries ect..enough to last a few days. I do need to make a fast trip to pick up a loaf of bread for sandwiches because that is not somthing I keep. I never buy milk because if we lose electricity for any length of time it will go bad. I need to buy some coal for the grill soon just in case. I also do not understand why people don't have these things on hand...well I understand a lot of people live from paycheck to paycheck and don't have extra money to stock up..but other than that most people live where there is a chance of bad weather so I do not understand the lack of preparation. 

• Love 7

I agree about the true viability of the green plant for bereavement gift.  I’m leaning towards the gifts I ordered online along with a floral arrangement that I go to the florist shop, pick out flowers, watch them arrange and take to her myself.  So, I’ll know what I’m paying for.  They are so expensive.  But, she is a flower lover.  

• Love 6