Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Well the Dugger forum was red lighted. No one knows what was done wrong. Bot the shut down the Jim Bob and Michelle sub forum because they did not like the title..JimBoob and Meechelle.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well the Dugger forum was red lighted. No one knows what was done wrong. Bot the shut down the Jim Bob and Michelle sub forum because they did not like the title..JimBoob and Meechelle.

Sorry the title is J'Chelle and Boob. Have no idea where my brain was.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Does anyone have a favorite model or brand of a Dutch oven cookware? Is Le Creuset really worth the money or do you prefer something else?

I have All Clad cookware, which is great stuff, although not cheap either, but worth every penny. I have the original master chef line, which is not exactly what they make anymore. They call this line something else now. It’s the line that has the matte aluminum on the outside.  I have them for thirty and forty years, and they look like new. I have a Dutch oven size, which can be used to cook in the oven or on the stovetop for soup or sauce. I have a large saucepan and a small saucepan and a sauté pan also.  You can get them on sale. I bought them separately, not in sets.  They’re not as heavy as cast iron, so easier to use. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
41 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have All Clad cookware, which is great stuff, although not cheap either, but worth every penny. I have the original master chef line, which is not exactly what they make anymore. They call this line something else. It’s the line that has the matte aluminum on the outside.  I have them for thirty and forty years, and they look like new. I have a Dutch oven size, which can be used to cook in the oven or on the stovetop for soup or sauce. I have a large saucepan and a small saucepan and a sauté pan also.  You can get them on sale. I bought them separately, not in sets.  They’re not as heavy as cast iron, so easier to use. 

Thank you for such a thorough description 😊   

• Like 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Thank you for such a thorough description 😊   

Oh you’re welcome!  I will add that I do have a traditional black cast iron frying pan, which I use for certain tasks. I also have a good small nonstick skillet that is good for scrambled eggs. And I have a larger nonstick skillet that is good for other tasks. Both of those also have a thick construction. Ultimately that’s the most important thing. I have taught myself to toss food in the skillet the way they do in restaurants. You can pick up good buys on non stick cookware at TJ maxx.  I also have a small nonstick saucepan for cooking oatmeal, which otherwise is like cement. Also purchased at TJ maxx.  

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Does anyone have a favorite model or brand of a Dutch oven cookware? Is Le Creuset really worth the money or do you prefer something else?

If you're talking about enameled cast iron, "America's Test Kitchen" likes Cuisinart as a lower priced alternative to Le Creuset and have also mentioned a budget choice of Tramontina.  I have a 6.5 quart Cuisinart I got at Home Goods for cheap and it is excellent.  I used to see Le Creuset Dutch Ovens there for fantastic prices, and have gotten some of their ceramic bakeware there.  I haven't really been paying attention lately but I haven't seen much Le Creuset or any enameled cast iron Dutch ovens there in the past couple of years.

People online will talk about Lodge as a budget alternative but I bought one years ago and it developed a big chip right on the bottom very quickly so I avoid Lodge now except for their all cast iron pans (which I have and are very good).

I got lucky with an unknown brand called "Klok" at a local New England bargain chain store called "Ocean State Job Lot" and I abuse my little 3 quart by making French onion soup in it regularly (like I did just last night, LOL) and it's a workhorse that only cost me something ridiculous like $19.99.  I went back and got the 5 quart or only $29.99.

Anyway those are my thoughts on that, I hope this helps!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If you're talking about enameled cast iron, "America's Test Kitchen" likes Cuisinart as a lower priced alternative to Le Creuset and have also mentioned a budget choice of Tramontina.  I have a 6.5 quart Cuisinart I got at Home Goods for cheap and it is excellent.  I used to see Le Creuset Dutch Ovens there for fantastic prices, and have gotten some of their ceramic bakeware there.  I haven't really been paying attention lately but I haven't seen much Le Creuset or any enameled cast iron Dutch ovens there in the past couple of years.

People online will talk about Lodge as a budget alternative but I bought one years ago and it developed a big chip right on the bottom very quickly so I avoid Lodge now except for their all cast iron pans (which I have and are very good).

I got lucky with an unknown brand called "Klok" at a local New England bargain chain store called "Ocean State Job Lot" and I abuse my little 3 quart by making French onion soup in it regularly (like I did just last night, LOL) and it's a workhorse that only cost me something ridiculous like $19.99.  I went back and got the 5 quart or only $29.99.

Anyway those are my thoughts on that, I hope this helps!

Thank you for helping…I always appreciate the members of this forum.  You all are so informative! I don’t think I’ve ever been to a TJ Maxx @EtheltoTillie it sounds exciting!  Kody’s a goober, but I’m glad he brought me to this forum.  I’ve learned a lot!

BTW  I just got bought the Yellowstone cookbook and it is quite good, very homey American meals.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Thank you for helping…I always appreciate the members of this forum.  You all are so informative! I don’t think I’ve ever been to a TJ Maxx @EtheltoTillie it sounds exciting!  Kody’s a goober, but I’m glad he brought me to this forum.  I’ve learned a lot!

BTW  I just got bought the Yellowstone cookbook and it is quite good, very homey American meals.

spacer.png

Enjoy TJMaxx!  Marshall’s is a sister store chain, which has the same array of merchandise—clothing and home goods merchandise.  Home Goods, mentioned by @Yeah No, is also a sister store chain, with just home goods.  I’ve never bought any enameled cast iron, so that’s a useful suggestion. 

Speaking of ATK, they consistently rate All Clad as a top brand for that type of cookware. But at TJMaxx etal you can sometimes find similar brands such as Calphalon and Cuisinart 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Your welcome, sorry I went on so long it's just one of those things I use a lot and have looked for a lot too.  You probably already know this, but I forgot to mention that TJ Maxx and Marshalls are both part of the same company that owns Home Goods so they often have similar stuff at similar prices.  Unfortunately they're all the kinds of places you have to go to often because they get in new and different stuff all the time.  That's why there are always so many women there shopping!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Enjoy TJMaxx!  Marshall’s is a sister store chain, which has the same array of merchandise—clothing and home goods merchandise.  Home Goods, mentioned by @Yeah No, is also a sister store chain, with just home goods.  I’ve never bought any enameled cast iron, so that’s a useful suggestion. 

Speaking of ATK, they consistently rate All Clad as a top brand for that type of cookware. But at TJMaxx etal you can sometimes find similar brands such as Calphalon and Cuisinart 

Haha, sorry didn't see your post on this before I posted!!  Yep, ATK does love All Clad.  My mother left behind her All Clad pots when she passed and I still use them after all these years.  They are indestructible and excellent and pretty expensive.  I do see them at Home Goods, TJ's and Marshall's every now and then and they do make a stainless Dutch oven, but not an enameled cast iron one.  They also make non-stick cookware which I have found at those stores and purchased at great prices.

AFAIK, Le Creuset Dutch ovens are always made of enameled cast iron.  Le Creuset offers only one Dutch oven in another metal, which is stainless steel.  Many people seem to prefer the enameled cast iron for braising and soups (including me).  I have also seen some enameled cast iron exterior pots with a raw cast iron interior, but not in the Le Creuset brand. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I love my "Big Blue" 7 liter Le Creuset dutch oven. It is well used, but I have had it for about 20 years. The inside is well discolored, but it is my favorite roast/braise/soup pot. I also have an eclectic collection of All Clad bought over the years and I love them all. I do have an old enameled cast iron Lodge braizer (3 1/2qt) and as Yeah no mentioned...mine also has a few giant chips on it, but all are on the outside, so I do still use it. However for even bottom heating it can not hold a candle to the Le Creuset, even being cast iron.

Le Creuset is heavy and mine lives on a shelf next to my stove because of the weight. My wrists have issues off and on and I am very careful with them during the good times, so I don't like lifting Big Blue unless I have to. I recently searched for an in the middle pot from All clad that could be bigger than my braizer but smaller than the dutch oven and I bought a discontinued pan that is a straight sided very wide round pan with a dome lid, it's called a rondeau but sometimes a braizer.  Its a bit odd looking but being a clad pan it sautes meat or bacon really well and holds a 6qt volume. With the big dome lid it can even do a smaller 4 pound roast or turkey breast.

You can't go wrong with All clad. My only beef with them is their handles on their saucepans. They just don't feel right in my hand and when I'm carrying one full of liquid it is awkward for me. I love my 2qt saucier and even with the handle, it has good balance and I can hold and carry and pour easily.

They have a seconds sale each year and they do discontinue pieces. You can get good prices if you shop around.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I live near a Le Creuset outlet store so everyone in the family has all the pieces they want. Generally you can’t beat their Dutch ovens. Sale at the outlet is the way to go.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

My husband found All-Clad products on a great deal.  They are items that can't be sold for whatever reason, so they go on this site.  I now have 6 pieces came as a set, then a skillet and toaster.  So far, nothing has been wrong with the individual items.  It has only been box damage.  The set was missing a piece, but their customer service was fantastic and sent out the missing item as soon as it came back into stock.  The toaster was by far the best deal.  It retails for $230, and we got it for $88 with shipping.  Does anyone need a toaster like it, no.  But, I'm an old lady in my mid-40s who gets excited by appliance purchases.  Ask me about my fridge 😁.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
On 3/3/2024 at 1:47 PM, Roslyn said:

You can't go wrong with All clad. My only beef with them is their handles on their saucepans. They just don't feel right in my hand and when I'm carrying one full of liquid it is awkward for me. I love my 2qt saucier and even with the handle, it has good balance and I can hold and carry and pour easily.

All Clad makes a rubber handle grip for their saucepan handles.  I found it at one of their outlets several years ago.  In case that might interest you, here it is on Amazon:

Click for link

Actually you could use anyone's slip on handle grips as long as they fit.  They don't have to be made by All Clad.

As far as cheap prices for All Clad, the absolute cheapest prices I've seen on them are at Home Goods/Marshalls/TJ Maxx.  I mean, crazy low prices.  Like $20.00 for a 2 quart non-stick saucepan.  Of course it's sporadic as to when they have them and even when they do they have what they have, you can't order sets or necessarily find a match in a different size.

• Useful 3

TL;DR

Our less than 5-year-old Samsung, with the knock-knock door included, died a horrible death causing us to lose nearly $500 in perishable food.  We sprung for a Bosch, which has been treating us nicely and already collected a handful of random cat toys.

• Like 6

The nice lady at the appliance store warned me about Samsung, saying they were 'problematic'.     I thought that was nice of her, since I'm guessing she's on commission.     

When I bought a new fridge, a big factor was the water filter where I could reach it.  I was surprised at how many have the filter down on the floor.    I was torn between GE, Whirlpool and Frigidaire, and ended up with the GE.  

• Like 2

Speaking of refrigerators, has anyone besides me had to replace door gaskets on a newer refrigerator?  I have had Whirlpool/KitchenAide appliances for years.  I bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator 3 years ago and had to replace the door gaskets last year.  I noticed last week that they are starting to shred again.  Am I just unlucky, or is this a known problem.

• Mind Blown 1
On 3/2/2024 at 7:00 PM, Irate Panda said:

I have a Le Creuset.  I like it but it is too heavy for me these days.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Speaking of refrigerators, has anyone besides me had to replace door gaskets on a newer refrigerator?  I have had Whirlpool/KitchenAide appliances for years.  I bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator 3 years ago and had to replace the door gaskets last year.  I noticed last week that they are starting to shred again.  Am I just unlucky, or is this a known problem.

That's strange.  My Whirlpool side-by-side will be 4 this July and the door gaskets are just fine.

30 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

The new emoji reaction faces, is the face with red cheeks the new “thanks” or is he “embarrassed”?  

If you mean the new one between "fire" and "applause", that's the new "thanks".  I don't really like it, it's ambiguous.  If you hover over each of them with the mouse it will tell you what it is.

• Thanks 2
53 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

That's strange.  My Whirlpool side-by-side will be 4 this July and the door gaskets are just fine.

If you mean the new one between "fire" and "applause", that's the new "thanks".  I don't really like it, it's ambiguous.  If you hover over each of them with the mouse it will tell you what it is.

I was at a friend's house today, and her KitchenAide, which is the same age as my Whirlpool, is starting to have shreded gaskets, too.  There must be something going on with Whirlpool.  Ours are both double door bottom freezer models.  Maybe that makes a difference.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I’m on my phone so I couldn’t tell. Of course I didn’t know what the color stripe was either at first, so thanks.  

We have LG fridges, they are fine, but have not had them long. I like the door in a door one.

• Like 3
On 3/2/2024 at 10:00 PM, Irate Panda said:

I have a few pieces of Le Creuset and I love them.  They clean easily, use less energy, and seem to not have any hot spots on the bottom.  I do have one piece of Staub and it works very well, also. 

I've gotten some smaller pieces recently and they are generally lighter in weight than the larger ones.  They can be quite heavy but they will last forever and could be passed down to the next generation if taken care of properly.

You can find really good bargains or a good sale price if you're patient.  I got one piece of Le Creuset at about 65% off and the only thing wrong with the shipment was the box it came in. 

I also have some Lodge cookware and it works well. One time I dropped a braiser from a height of about 4 feet and thought for sure I'd cracked the enamel on the inside, but it was fine.  It's a workhorse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I left early yesterday to head to work so I would be in place for the eclipse.  I was glad I left early as I would have not been able to view it.  It was so amazing, really odd that it looked like night time.  Was glad I had the chance to see it.  That is the first time I have seen a total solar eclipse.  There was no major traffic around my area.  I was really worried about that.  I think it might have been an issue in the trendy places that everyone likes to go to.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I think it might have been an issue in the trendy places that everyone likes to go to.

Traffic was at a standstill on I75 going south from Michigan to Ohio for hours before the event!  Lots of people took to the back roads to be in the path of totality in time. 

My sister (in Indiana) said the frogs all abruptly dove into the pond, the birds stopped singing, the temp dropped 15 degrees, and an owl starting hooting.  She said it was pretty spooking even knowing it was coming and could definitely see why the ancients would be terrified that the sun would never some back.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
13 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

My sister (in Indiana) said the frogs all abruptly dove into the pond, the birds stopped singing,

Having experienced the totality in Germany in 1999, I can confirm that. It happened about 12:30 pm, we were watching the eclipse from our balcony at our workplace. We all were allowed to watch, and when the sun "vanished", it was eerily quiet, all the birds stopped singing. Fun fact: In german, Eclipse of the sun is Sonnenfinsternis, so a lot of girls born that day got the name Sophie (From SOnnenFInsternis, which is pronounced the same). So lots of Sophies born on August 11, 1999.

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
On 3/2/2024 at 10:00 PM, Irate Panda said:

Very late to the party here, but I recommend Xtrema cookware. It is similar to LeCreuset, but totally non-toxic. They have sales all the time and the prices I believe are overall less than LeCreuset. I have the baking pan, a large saucepan and the 9-inch skillet.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Very late to the party here, but I recommend Xtrema cookware. It is similar to LeCreuset, but totally non-toxic. They have sales all the time and the prices I believe are overall less than LeCreuset. I have the baking pan, a large saucepan and the 9-inch skillet.

Thanks, I will check them out.  Are Le Creuset toxic?

7 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I must say that Garrison's death really has taken the wind out of our sails.  Postings on this forum are so rare these days.  Odd how the death of a stranger can affect you.

I was just thinking the same thing. Normally even between seasons we have been a chatty bunch. But this sadness seems to have settled on all of us even though we are total strangers to the Brown family...and really each other too.  If it has been this hard for us to adjust to this sadness, I can't imagine how many times harder it is for Garrisons' family and friends.

• Hugs 4
  • Love 3