Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Today's example:

Above mentioned "know-it-all" news anchor just told us that a bear that had wandered into a local home was "hazed" by Animal Control. 

HAZED?  What is this, a college fraternity initiation??

Even if he meant to say "tased", the more accepted word is "tasered".  Anyway, one little mistake like this isn't the biggest deal, but it happens on a semi-daily basis on this station!

• LOL 4
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Today's example:

Above mentioned "know-it-all" news anchor just told us that a bear that had wandered into a local home was "hazed" by Animal Control. 

HAZED?  What is this, a college fraternity initiation??

Even if he meant to say "tased", the more accepted word is "tasered".  Anyway, one little mistake like this isn't the biggest deal, but it happens on a semi-daily basis on this station!

He meant “hazed” (he was correct this time anyways). We did it in Yellowstone and Yosemite to get habituated bears to stay away from certain areas (because of humans — all of us wanted to be hazing the humans instead). Hazing often involves non-lethal, pain-inducing rounds in an orange shotgun designed for bear hazing. I hated doing it, fucking humans messing up the bears natural behaviour, it was never the bear’s fault. 

We would never taser a bear because tasers are designed for human physiology only. The probes would not penetrate a bear. 

edited to add bear hazing from Yellowstone: 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Like 3
  • Useful 6
11 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

So, completely off topic: I just read a first novel by a young woman with whom I became acquainted over work emails last year. I was so excited for her, and the book sounded like it would be a fun beach read "chick lit" kind of thing. It came out to great fanfare a couple months ago, and I was looking forward to writing to her to say how much I'd enjoyed it. 

The problem? The book is absolutely terrible. I was appalled. The subject matter was unobjectionable, the characters a bit overdramatic - but the real issue was that it seemed completely unedited. There were so many sentences that just didn't make any sense.  Some examples for your enjoyment:

A description of 6 or 7 people sprawled on a couch enumerates "a dozen pairs of feet."  Another: "My phone buzzed announcing a new text on my phone." A character is described as whispering, but in the next sentence, his "voice morphed back down to lower decibels." A few pages later, "my stomach did a million backflips in reprieve." (In context, I think the writer meant to say "relief" although backflips generally suggest excitement. If you're going to alter a metaphor, at least find the right substitute!)

Brand names are everywhere: a stereo is "Bose" with music coming through a "Spotify app," to name just two. Hackneyed phrases in a potential wedding toast are described as "mundane cliches and platitudes" (as opposed to profound ones, it seems).  Entering a room feels "like walking into a powder keg." Another emotional situation is described as a "chemical explosion waiting to set fire." (If this were edited as "catch fire" it still wouldn't make much sense. Obviously someone thought this was a fancy way of saying "an explosion waiting to happen" but it just doesn't work.)

The worst? "We had all reached our emotional bandwidths." Outdone a few pages later by: "Worries were already zipping at the highest echelon throughout my every pore." 

If you've read this far, I look forward to your reactions!

If she knows you bought the book, she'll be expecting feedback.

What to say? What to say...possibly the cover graphics were Amazing.  The binding was So professionally done, no pages came loose when flipping to the next drama filled page...

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Is there anything about the plot that you could point out as "interesting?"  I mean that in the sense not of compelling, but more oh my why, but she might take it in a positive sense.

We have to haze coyotes where I live.  We're only allowed non-violent means of discouraging them such as noise and spraying them with water.  My daughter lives 2/3 of the way up a mountain and gets a lot of coyotes.  Occasionally bears wander down.  The same applies to them plus animal control will come out and tranquilize and remove a truly obnoxious bear.  We're a bit concerned the new rules of food waste going into the yard waste containers may increase the bear appearances.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

So, completely off topic: I just read a first novel by a young woman with whom I became acquainted over work emails last year. I was so excited for her, and the book sounded like it would be a fun beach read "chick lit" kind of thing. It came out to great fanfare a couple months ago, and I was looking forward to writing to her to say how much I'd enjoyed it.....

Oh wow, I really want to know the title of this book.....

I have noticed over the past few years that the books that are incredibly hyped, are given a zillion 5-star reviews by rabid fans on Goodreads before the book has even been published, sounds like the book you're describing.  The grammar and syntax take a definite backseat to the swoon-worthy tall and handsome male lead and the clumsy, beautiful (but she doesn't know it) female character, or some combination.  There is currently a wildly popular author - I have read two of her books just because I wanted to see what the insane fuss was about - and I found them so bad and cringe-worthy, but try telling that to her fans without getting verbally tarred and feathered.

Tricky when you know the author, though!  Has she asked you for your opinion?

EDIT: when I see brand-names dropped into a story, it takes me right out of the book.  In many cases, it's just not necessary.  There's a way to do it well if it pertains to a character's personality (like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone only wearing Saucony sneakers) but dropping a name to set a time and place bugs the heck out of me.  Just my two cents. :)

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

,,,the clumsy, beautiful (but she doesn't know it) female character...

..with red hair and green eyes.

And at least once, in every novel, they have "padded into the kitchen (or living room or bathroom)".  Apparently there is no equivalent word to "padded".

• Applause 1
  • LOL 11

@TurtlePower thanks for the video!!

I can't believe the dumb gawkers that were out of their cars so close to the bear. I heard the Rangers yelling at them to get back in their cars...and more than once! Sheesh, I never would have gotten out in the first place! What is wrong with people??

• Like 6

I had to call about a bear in the backyard of my daughter's house once.  The first question I was asked was where was I inside or outside.  My response was inside on the second floor.  People do not realize how fast those bears can run and they can charge if disturbed.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

He meant “hazed” (he was correct this time anyways). We did it in Yellowstone and Yosemite to get habituated bears to stay away from certain areas (because of humans — all of us wanted to be hazing the humans instead). Hazing often involves non-lethal, pain-inducing rounds in an orange shotgun designed for bear hazing. I hated doing it, fucking humans messing up the bears natural behaviour, it was never the bear’s fault. 

We would never taser a bear because tasers are designed for human physiology only. The probes would not penetrate a bear. 

edited to add bear hazing from Yellowstone: 

That's really interesting but an article from one of the local news outlets said the bear was tasered and tranquilized.  I did fact check it before posting.  Unless the article was incorrect....Could be, but then that would be yet another example of the same thing only in reverse!  🤷‍♀️

Last year when a bear was caught breaking into homes in a local town it was euthanized.  I guess they don't mess around with bears in CT!

Edited by Yeah No
14 hours ago, Sandy W said:

If she knows you bought the book, she'll be expecting feedback.

What to say? What to say...possibly the cover graphics were Amazing.  The binding was So professionally done, no pages came loose when flipping to the next drama filled page...

Haha. Yes, something along the lines of "it's a lovely book." Fortunately, she doesn't know I bought it, but if I cross email paths with her again and she asks, I'll probably just congratulate her on her success. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That's really interesting but an article from one of the local news outlets said the bear was tasered and tranquilized.  I did fact check it before posting.  Unless the article was incorrect....Could be, but then that would be yet another example of the same thing only in reverse!  🤷‍♀️

Last year when a bear was caught breaking into homes in a local town it was euthanized.  I guess they don't mess around with bears in CT!

Perhaps they have tasers for bears. I haven’t heard of this, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Usually Tranquilizer guns are enough, tasers only last for a few seconds and the probes would have to be incredibly long to get proper neuromuscular incapacitation. I cannot imagine with an angry bear that it would be easy. 

Just my thoughts having dealt with animals but it’s been a minute so things might’ve changed. Usually our bears were just dumb enough to allow themselves to be trapped 😂

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
26 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Perhaps they have tasers for bears. I haven’t heard of this, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Usually Tranquilizer guns are enough, tasers only last for a few seconds and the probes would have to be incredibly long to get proper neuromuscular incapacitation. I cannot imagine with an angry bear that it would be easy. 

Just my thoughts having dealt with animals but it’s been a minute so things might’ve changed. Usually our bears were just dumb enough to allow themselves to be trapped 😂

Yeah it does sound strange, especially since that was the only article that mentioned a taser.  The others just mentioned being tranquilized or just "incapacitated".  When bears make the news around here I often don't think they're treated very humanely.  We are seeing a lot more bear/human incidents around here than ever because the population keeps increasing.  I see them in my neighborhood every now and then.  They're even being seen in "sidewalk neighborhoods" closer to urban areas, where they've never been seen before.  I think the people are afraid and the animal control people are under pressure to keep everyone safe.  I know there have been solutions proposed including reinstating a hunting season in this state.

• Sad 5

The discussion finally motivated me to question Mr. Google.  The Alaska department of fish and game says they have some limited use in the process of hazing bears, but not much use at all incapacitating them.  I have learned my something new for the day!

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Absolom said:

The discussion finally motivated me to question Mr. Google.  The Alaska department of fish and game says they have some limited use in the process of hazing bears, but not much use at all incapacitating them.  I have learned my something new for the day!

Yeah they don’t do much for bears but maybe cause a little pain if the probes catch. In humans, it causes complete NMI (you cannot move when the current is flowing which is why you fall over stiff as a board).

Same with aggressive dogs — you can use a taser, but it just causes pain and hopefully makes the dog runs away. It will never incapacitate them.

The things you learn in basic academy so when you go to court, you know how the taser works when grilled by solicitors. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 6/20/2023 at 10:55 PM, Teafortwo said:

So, completely off topic: I just read a first novel by a young woman with whom I became acquainted over work emails last year. I was so excited for her, and the book sounded like it would be a fun beach read "chick lit" kind of thing. It came out to great fanfare a couple months ago, and I was looking forward to writing to her to say how much I'd enjoyed it. 

The problem? The book is absolutely terrible. I was appalled. The subject matter was unobjectionable, the characters a bit overdramatic - but the real issue was that it seemed completely unedited. There were so many sentences that just didn't make any sense.  Some examples for your enjoyment:

A description of 6 or 7 people sprawled on a couch enumerates "a dozen pairs of feet."  Another: "My phone buzzed announcing a new text on my phone." A character is described as whispering, but in the next sentence, his "voice morphed back down to lower decibels." A few pages later, "my stomach did a million backflips in reprieve." (In context, I think the writer meant to say "relief" although backflips generally suggest excitement. If you're going to alter a metaphor, at least find the right substitute!)

Brand names are everywhere: a stereo is "Bose" with music coming through a "Spotify app," to name just two. Hackneyed phrases in a potential wedding toast are described as "mundane cliches and platitudes" (as opposed to profound ones, it seems).  Entering a room feels "like walking into a powder keg." Another emotional situation is described as a "chemical explosion waiting to set fire." (If this were edited as "catch fire" it still wouldn't make much sense. Obviously someone thought this was a fancy way of saying "an explosion waiting to happen" but it just doesn't work.)

The worst? "We had all reached our emotional bandwidths." Outdone a few pages later by: "Worries were already zipping at the highest echelon throughout my every pore." 

If you've read this far, I look forward to your reactions!

Mr lookeyloo's uncle wrote and self published two books like that. They were "pirate romances" and this man has never married.  He tried to use every word he knew, some words whose meaning he didn't know and the worst run on sentences. Became humor books to us. 

Edited by lookeyloo
Word
  • LOL 8
On 6/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, Teafortwo said:

The problem? The book is absolutely terrible. I was appalled. The subject matter was unobjectionable, the characters a bit overdramatic - but the real issue was that it seemed completely unedited.

This is scary.  Who published it? 

• Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 12:38 AM, Teafortwo said:

Dutton

How depressing.  I've kind of held hope that publishing would be our salvation--I think gatekeepers and editors are a good thing.  But apparently not even that is going to survive?

I found the book and you can take comfort in one reviewer's complaint about typos and text repeated on another page.  It's one thing to use a style of prose that isn't to everyone's liking, but there's no excuse for typos or using the wrong word (reprieve vs. relief, catch fire vs. set fire).  This is the sort of thing I (sadly) expect from self-published books, not "real" publishing houses.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

How depressing.  I've kind of held hope that publishing would be our salvation--I think gatekeepers and editors are a good thing.  But apparently not even that is going to survive?

I found the book and you can take comfort in one reviewer's complaint about typos and text repeated on another page.  It's one thing to use a style of prose that isn't to everyone's liking, but there's no excuse for typos or using the wrong word (reprieve vs. relief, catch fire vs. set fire).  This is the sort of thing I (sadly) expect from self-published books, not "real" publishing houses.

Lol that was me.  [ETA It wasn't; mine hasn't been approved yet I guess]. I used an alias, just in case she reads those, for fear she'd recognize my real first name (in my original post here I noted that she's an email acquaintance through my job). 

ETA: you're an excellent sleuth. Thank you for not publishing the title. I purposely left it out. concerned my post could end up in a search engine somehow. 

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Like 6
On 7/2/2023 at 5:38 PM, Teafortwo said:

Lol that was me.  [ETA It wasn't; mine hasn't been approved yet I guess]. I used an alias, just in case she reads those, for fear she'd recognize my real first name (in my original post here I noted that she's an email acquaintance through my job). 

ETA: you're an excellent sleuth. Thank you for not publishing the title. I purposely left it out. concerned my post could end up in a search engine somehow. 

Not to be nosy, but to be nosy 😊 Was there anything at all that you liked about the book? (If you feel comfortable answering, if you don’t I understand)

I had a similar experience, one of the ladies in my book group wrote a “memoir”.   It was pretty awful.   My grammar is not the best and sometimes things get lost in translation, but I ended up telling her she painted a really vivid picture and it was like I was right there with her.  

Of course this was because she included exciting details like complete shopping lists, multiple descriptions of routine stains on her laundry, and play-by-play on various trips to the car wash.  I don’t even know how she got this thing “published”.  I feel like she might have paid someone to print it because the library never heard of it.  

Sadly, the month we were suppose to discuss the book only 1 other person besides me and the author showed up so it was a very LONG evening. 

On a somewhat related note, I always wondered what inspires “non-writers” (I’m assuming neither of these ladies had a background in writing) to decide to jump into book writing. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Not to be nosy, but to be nosy 😊 Was there anything at all that you liked about the book? (If you feel comfortable answering, if you don’t I understand)

I was prepared to like the book. I ended up blaming the flaws on lack of editing, in my review. The setting and some of the characters were well-drawn. My objections were mostly on a linguistic level (syntax etc).

• Like 4
(edited)

TL;dr: I had to switch docs and I don't like the new one, but I have a chronic illness for which there are very few qualified care providers. 

My rheumatologist left town recently. Last time I saw him, in March, he said the person who was replacing him had no interest in my particular auto-immune disease, and he recommended someone who has probably the best reputation of anyone in NYC as far as treatment of and research into my illness but it turns out he does not take any insurance.

I discovered that a colleague of the "top doc" does take insurance, so I made an appt with her. I saw her on Friday. Her first words to me were "Why are you here?" I was stunned and very put off. I had already had my records sent to her office two weeks before, her assistant had just taken my history and entered it in their system, after which I waited for awhile to see the doc. I explained what I have but she still pushed, why her and not someone else? I explained that my doc had recommended her colleague but I can't afford to pay out of pocket, especially not for someone I have to see at least 3x/year, usually more often. She then said that the rheumatology dept at the hospital where I saw my former doc was poor. (It's a major NYC teaching hospital where I've received excellent care from a large team of specialists.) 

I know that her team does research on my disease, and are really the only group that does so in NYC, and she did spend almost an hour with me, but the whole thing was very strange and off-putting. I looked up the new doc that was hired to replace my former one. Even if he doesn't have an interest in my disease and is very young, he's written a lot and even edited a book of essays on the future of rheumatology, with a former colleague of his that is one of the leading specialists on my disease in the US. I listened to a podcast where he and the older specialist were interviewed, and he more than held his own. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I'm keeping my appt with him and if I like him, I might just stick with him. Very little is known about my illness in any case, and maybe he would consult with more knowledgeable docs if he were uncertain of the best course of treatment.

The woman doc did respond quickly to some questions I emailed her today (after she wrote me about some test results). But I just can't seem to shake that first impression. I really do not want to see a doctor that frequently who seemed so cold. If she had just said "How can I help you today?" or something like that, I would have felt so much more comfortable from the beginning. "Why are you here?" Well, because I'm supposed to have extensive blood tests every 3-4 months, I'm on medication that may need to be increased based on my recent symptoms, my doctor just left NYC."

Is it bad to pick a doctor based on niceness, rather than an expert, when one has a potentially life-threatening (if not managed properly) illness? That's what I'm asking myself now. If a symptom or test result is misinterpreted by an inexperienced doctor, I could be in real trouble. But it's difficult enough managing my symptoms, treatment, appointments, tests. To have someone I just don't like as the point person for coordinating care with the other specialists is not good. I felt a total lack of compassion from this doctor, where my other ones have all been great.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

I've only ever kept one doctor who made me feel that way and I have to admit that one worked out.  I did eventually have to ask why did you ask this/treat me that way and got an honest answer I could work with.  One does need a good rheumatologist with a decent personality, however, with rheumatology I'll take knowledge over personality every time.  I had one who almost killed me.  When I know more than they do, I run.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

Interesting timing on this issue. I am seeing a new pcp today. The pcp I have been seeing has made some off putting comments and choices in how to notify me of problems plus denying I have diabetes now that I am in control of it. The last straw was after my fall in Dec when he saw me at the 2 wk after release exam, the first thing he said was "Well you really did it to yourself this time!" Like I chose to fall and break 3 ribs and fracture a vertebrae! (I have seen this guy for almost 20 years!)

I am seeing a woman dr today at the local clinic affiliated with the group original pcp is at so she has access to all my records. Plus she is a 20 mile round trip vs a 70 mile round trip which is much better for me. I am so hoping we click and she understands my needs and is more professional and as caring as possible. 

Wish me luck!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Interesting timing on this issue. I am seeing a new pcp today. The pcp I have been seeing has made some off putting comments and choices in how to notify me of problems plus denying I have diabetes now that I am in control of it. The last straw was after my fall in Dec when he saw me at the 2 wk after release exam, the first thing he said was "Well you really did it to yourself this time!" Like I chose to fall and break 3 ribs and fracture a vertebrae! (I have seen this guy for almost 20 years!)

I am seeing a woman dr today at the local clinic affiliated with the group original pcp is at so she has access to all my records. Plus she is a 20 mile round trip vs a 70 mile round trip which is much better for me. I am so hoping we click and she understands my needs and is more professional and as caring as possible. 

Wish me luck!

Women docs (generally) are so much better and actually listen, in my experience.

Best of luck, hope she works out for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My eye exam today went well.  I have the beginning of cataracts, but so far, I'm stable and not in need of surgery yet.  My mom struggled with glaucoma, so they always look at my pressure, and so far, so good.  No problems.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I had cataract surgery in both eyes early last year. It really isn't that bad, and I am a baby about anything near my eyes. They give great drugs and you don't feel or even remember any of it even though you are awake. The most bothersome part is the patch for a couple of days, and having to put drops in your eye every 4 hrs for days after. They do one eye at a time about a month apart if I remember correctly. 

I really like my new pcp! She really paid attention and was very thorough going through my records. She caught several things that were really plain out wrong! I see her again next month for my Medicare Wellness check up. What a relief! 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I had cataract surgery in both eyes early last year. It really isn't that bad, and I am a baby about anything near my eyes. They give great drugs and you don't feel or even remember any of it even though you are awake. The most bothersome part is the patch for a couple of days, and having to put drops in your eye every 4 hrs for days after. They do one eye at a time about a month apart if I remember correctly. 

I really like my new pcp! She really paid attention and was very thorough going through my records. She caught several things that were really plain out wrong! I see her again next month for my Medicare Wellness check up. What a relief! 

My previous doctor retired quite a few years ago.  He was OK, but I really like his replacement (current doc) much better.  It's nice when the doctor actually encourages questions about anything one is unsure about, and doesn't rush the visit.  I'm glad you found someone thorough, that took the time to listen to you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I have giant feet and I can’t find nice shoes at all. All my shoes are ugly. 

I get the most neutral, unnoticeable shoes.  Size 11 feet kinda sucks.  I'm glad they at least look OK in sandals.

• Like 4

I recall that the Brown family has had its share of eyebrow issues…..just wondering, does anyone know of any good products (makeup) for darkening the brow?  Nothing crazy, just something subtle.  I’ve seen various products advertised.  

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I recall that the Brown family has had its share of eyebrow issues…..just wondering, does anyone know of any good products (makeup) for darkening the brow?  Nothing crazy, just something subtle.  I’ve seen various products advertised.  

I use Bumble and Bumble Color Stick.  It is a fat pencil largely for hair coloring at the roots between dye jobs.  I find if I use it very lightly on my eyebrows then it makes them look a lot fuller and I draw down to lengthen a bit. I think I am successfully subtle; but, who knows?, maybe I am looking like Robyn (kidding!).   The link below is from the B&B site -- you can find it cheaper through Amazon/Walmart but it is still somewhat expensive - $17-20 for .12 oz. Worth it to me!

https://www.bumbleandbumble.com/product/19056/43824/style/color-care/color-stick-in-natural-shades?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoK2mBhDzARIsADGbjer3CDnt8nPQt5-NUvKBwCsChWIUZbA7tL0pq9lZIwJdK5b25OAgbuUaAluTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When I was routinely using makeup, after after applying mascara, I would use the wand and lightly brush over the eyebrows with the residue left on the wand. It gave a natural effect without looking like a stencil.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Great ideas! Thanks a lot.  I’ll try them out.  Part of my brows are ok, it’s just the tail part that needs help.  I saw a video of a lady getting hers tinted, which surprisingly makes them appear longer, more groomed, full and slightly darker.   It involved many processes though.  Not sure I’m up for that.  My hair is blonde though, so I’m afraid of going too dark on the brow.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I use Benefit retractable brow pencils and that gel stuff with the bristle brush at the end that you "comb" on.  Just about anything they make for brows is great and everything comes in many colors.  "Goof Proof" Brow Pencil and "Gimme Brow" are my favorites.  Everything is very natural looking and subtle.

• Useful 2
On 8/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Great ideas! Thanks a lot.  I’ll try them out.  Part of my brows are ok, it’s just the tail part that needs help.  I saw a video of a lady getting hers tinted, which surprisingly makes them appear longer, more groomed, full and slightly darker.   It involved many processes though.  Not sure I’m up for that.  My hair is blonde though, so I’m afraid of going too dark on the brow.  

I dye mine a few shades darker than my hair and it’s just one process — dye and a q-tip. I mix a tiny bit and it takes 15 minutes. Darker brows are a thing now, my hair is almost platinum and my brows are probably a level 6 shade. 

I’ve been into hair and cosmetics for a long time so it’s just normal for me to do it once a month. I also trim the longer hairs to give them a more polished look and generally don’t try to re-shape them, I just work with what I’ve got. But tinting them Is a good place to start. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I dye mine a few shades darker than my hair and it’s just one process — dye and a q-tip. I mix a tiny bit and it takes 15 minutes. Darker brows are a thing now, my hair is almost platinum and my brows are probably a level 6 shade. 

I’ve been into hair and cosmetics for a long time so it’s just normal for me to do it once a month. I also trim the longer hairs to give them a more polished look and generally don’t try to re-shape them, I just work with what I’ve got. But tinting them Is a good place to start. 

I am the opposite! My hair is naturally a dark brown, but my eyebrows have always been lighter brown. I use a dark brown eye brow gel if I feel I need brows. 

I am very fair skinned with green eyes, so when I am adventurous I usually dye my hair some shade of natural red. Whenever I do, people, including my family, say I am so glad you went back to your natural color.

• Like 4

Your PSA for today - the RSV vaccine is now available for the over 60 crowd. 

Respiratory Syncytial Virus used to be pretty exclusively a disease of the very young.  However, over the past years it has become more prevalent in the oldsters among us and can be pretty severe and long lasting.

The new vaccine was released last week, you might want to add it to the arsenal of vaccines available to keep you safe. I had mine on Saturday, no side effects at all.  Medicare covered it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I had RSV last fall so my doctor said I could wait a year for the vax.  Immunity from the vax is supposed to last two seasons and the dr thought the grandkids and I should be good through at least this winter already.

And while it can be worse for over 60 or 65, I was no sicker than the 10 year old.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

And while it can be worse for over 60 or 65, I was no sicker than the 10 year old.  

My 70-year-old sister was sick for 6 weeks. She was on all kinds of respiratory inhalers and medications. Just squeaked by without having to be hospitalized. And she has no pre-existing conditions. Everyone is different.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I’m taking my dad to get the RSV vaccine….hopefully this week.  His primary said it’s tough on seniors who have existing health issues and he should definitely get it, since he has heart disease. 

I actually bought a Covergirl Eyebrow pencil.  It sharpens itself.  I love it!  It adds just enough volume.  I also bought some new eyeshadow, base, mascara, etc.  I’m very pleased.  NOW……I’m going to get some Botox just between my brows.  I used to get it, but stopped.  I think it’ll add just a touch to erase a couple of lines.  It’s pricy, but I think it’ll add a lot of impact.  

I’m still working out and eating right.  At a plateau right now.  It’s frustrating.  I do feel better though.  

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

And she has no pre-existing conditions. Everyone is different.

I did say first sentence it can be worse for over 60 or 65.  That's my point that even with two potentially fatal conditions plus asthma, I rather sailed through while other people die.  There's no predicting.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

A person in our office came to work after about 3-4 days with it.  I didn’t know what it was….thought it was like a cold.  It lingered with her for weeks!  She is healthy and about 38 years old.  

• Sad 5
13 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

How do you trim the brows?  

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How do you trim the brows?  

Small hair cutting scissors and a small eyebrow brow brush to pull the hair upwards. Then when I style the brows, it gives that nice polished look.

Honestly it took me a while to perfect it and knowing my luck, a new brow trend is around the corner (I’ll do anything except over-pluck, I hope those super-thin brows never come back). I mean I love Pam Anderson but not those eyebrows. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2