Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, Absolom said:

On the Christine thread, talk got off-topic onto frozen rolls.

The ones below IMO are much better, cost less, and are easier to find.  They do need to defrost and rise, but they rise!  They taste better to me and since they rise are fluffier and more roll like.  

image.png.a24013852932728a4af922201e0d14d2.png

I’m not a big bread fan, but my mom is.  I’ll check these out.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

When I was a kid, my great grandmother and grandmother made homemade biscuits, from scratch, every morning at 6:00 a.m.!  Then, another fresh batch for dinner.  Everyday, except holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, where a traditional meal was served. Lol  It was just tradition.  I’m not sure why I never liked them very much.  Over exposed, I guess.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I guess I like Sister Schuberts because they don't need to be defrosted.  Resealable bag, grab a couple and toss them in the oven at the last minute.

I agree with preferring to cook from frozen, I'm terrible at remembering to defrost things.  I like the frozen Pillsbury biscuits for that same reason - you can throw them in the oven last minute.

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

I guess I like Sister Schuberts because they don't need to be defrosted.  Resealable bag, grab a couple and toss them in the oven at the last minute.

Out of all the frozen breads I think Sister Schubert's has the best taste and could sit and eat the whole pan with butter on each roll.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Has anyone decided their plans for Thanksgiving?  We’re not sure yet.   Last year was not eventful.  This year may be the same.  A lot going on, plus health issues with my parents…..I’m still very covid aware, plus flu and RSV….sooooo…. 

• Love 1

My daughter's MIL will as she has for 10 of the 12 years they have been married commandeer Thanksgiving.  The two years she didn't were for health reasons of a close family member.  We'll have store made mashed potatoes, a dry turkey, homemade and canned cranberry sauce, inedible cornbread stuffing, sweet potatoes, overly cheesy macaroni and cheese, and some cheese and green vegetable casserole, along with far too many dessert offerings.  She doesn't make all the food.  The contributions remain the same for most people year to year.  I guess there is comfort in knowing what it will be like.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

My daughter is coming for Thanksgiving this year.  She hasn't been home in close to two years and she has a new boyfriend she is bringing as well.  My husband has met him, but I haven't. She promised him "My mom's Thanksgiving dinner", so that means I will be making a full spread.  Prep begins tomorrow by making noodles and I start baking on Monday.  I always make the pies the day before and we have pie for breakfast on Thanksgiving because we are too full at dinner to have dessert, so I just started the breakfast tradition years ago.

I make everything scratch made.  It's an ungodly amount of work for one meal.  But we always have a repeat dinner with leftovers the next day as well, so two big meals.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Regardless, I think I’ll cook the turkey tenderloins.  They’re delicious, tender and not one morsel to waste.  And a tray of roasted veggies.  I could do homemade whipped potatoes and gravy.  And those tasty frozen rolls upthread.  For dessert, I’ll get a store bought apple pie and ice cream.  Ok, thanks for helping me decide!  Lol. This is only a fraction of our normal spread, but it’s enough.   

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh carp!! I haven't shopped for Thanksgiving yet!! Totally forgot and then with the no water/no heat issues I wasn't 100% sure I would really be able to cook/bake and then clean up. Pump guy is coming tomorrow morning, hopefully he will get the water going again and I can run out to the store in the afternoon. It is just me, I usually bake a Hutterite Turkey thigh and a salad.  This year I have the air fryer so will do the thigh (if they still have any) and throw in a potato to bake while bakes. I am almost thinking Thanksgiving may be Friday for me this year. Will probably just get a slice of frozen chocolate cream pie for dessert....things have been so crazy lately.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone decided their plans for Thanksgiving?  We’re not sure yet.   Last year was not eventful.  This year may be the same.  A lot going on, plus health issues with my parents…..I’m still very covid aware, plus flu and RSV….sooooo…. 

Probably just hubby and me. I don’t care much for thanksgiving, but he enjoys it so we do it. I dislike turkey and we have the cute buggers living on the property, so I just can’t 😂. If it were up to me, I’d have local fish and maybe a rice dish. I do love cranberries though! 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Has anyone decided their plans for Thanksgiving?  

I live in an Independent Living community. We're having Friendsgiving tomorrow (I'm bringing sweet potatoes in a crockpot). For Thanksgiving Day, the dining room offers a lovely buffet so I don't have to cook anything, though I miss having leftovers. I can't drive anymore and am in a wheelchair, so I can't go to the family celebration at my brother's house about 3 hours away. I'll miss them lots but have memories of shared holidays and know they'll pass the phone around so I can talk to people. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, altopower said:

I live in an Independent Living community. We're having Friendsgiving tomorrow (I'm bringing sweet potatoes in a crockpot). For Thanksgiving Day, the dining room offers a lovely buffet so I don't have to cook anything, though I miss having leftovers. I can't drive anymore and am in a wheelchair, so I can't go to the family celebration at my brother's house about 3 hours away. I'll miss them lots but have memories of shared holidays and know they'll pass the phone around so I can talk to people. 

You’re the second person I’ve heard mention Friendsgiving.  I wasn’t familiar with it, but it seems like a great idea.  Can you pick any day to celebrate it?  

2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You’re the second person I’ve heard mention Friendsgiving.  I wasn’t familiar with it, but it seems like a great idea.  Can you pick any day to celebrate it?  

Yup. It's not an official holiday so you can do it anytime. When I was working, we usually did it the weekend before Thanksgiving since people were traveling or hosting family for the real day. Just pick a good day and enjoy! Because it's friends, it's often a lot more relaxed than the real Thanksgiving spent with family.

• Love 4

I want to see She Said and Tar.  

Our Christmas parade canceled after only 20 minutes (the article says 1 hr., but it started late) when a child is hit by a vehicle pulling parade float:(   No word on her condition.

https://legacy.wral.com/raleigh-christmas-parade-canceled-girl-hurt-taken-hospital/20586305/

I was watching on tv, as is a tradition.  So very sad.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

He was also charged with carrying a firearm.  I’ll look forward to the findings after the investigation.  

Please share when you get the results of the investigation. Thanks!

• Like 4

I have my cataract surgery on Monday. I may have mentioned we have mice in my building (along with every other building in the area). Exterminator plugged up a bunch of holes, then asked to have the gas turned off to safely plug holes behind my oven. Plumber capped the gas line, exterminator came back, looked behind the stove, all good. No droppings for over a week. Plumber came back and installed a new gas hose (the old one was decrepit). He must have reopened something behind the oven because now I'm hearing a mouse scratching, sounds like he's in the oven but he's not. So I'll have to get the exterminator back in. I haven't see droppings yet but I suspect the little critter is trying to gnaw his way through drywall and it's only a matter of time.  They haven't gone for the traps the exterminator set up. Sigh....

I really was hoping to be finished with all this before I'm home recovering from the surgery - there is a period of a week or two where you're not supposed to bend at the waist, which means if the droppings start to appear again, how will I clean them up? A mop just moves them around and I don't want mouse poop in my new Dyson vacuum. Plus it's so unsanitary and with a healing eye - blechhh!

The only positive thing is that the exterminator is wonderful, very sensitive and extremely knowledgeable, just an all-around lovely person, and he wears a KN94 mask as a matter of course. His regular bi-weekly visits to the building are covered by our monthly HOA fees, but if I need an extra trip it's another $150 - plus a very nice tip. Not to mention the 2 plumber visits that cost $$$.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I have my cataract surgery on Monday. I may have mentioned we have mice in my building (along with every other building in the area). Exterminator plugged up a bunch of holes, then asked to have the gas turned off to safely plug holes behind my oven. Plumber capped the gas line, exterminator came back, looked behind the stove, all good. No droppings for over a week. Plumber came back and installed a new gas hose (the old one was decrepit). He must have reopened something behind the oven because now I'm hearing a mouse scratching, sounds like he's in the oven but he's not. So I'll have to get the exterminator back in. I haven't see droppings yet but I suspect the little critter is trying to gnaw his way through drywall and it's only a matter of time.  They haven't gone for the traps the exterminator set up. Sigh....

I really was hoping to be finished with all this before I'm home recovering from the surgery - there is a period of a week or two where you're not supposed to bend at the waist, which means if the droppings start to appear again, how will I clean them up? A mop just moves them around and I don't want mouse poop in my new Dyson vacuum. Plus it's so unsanitary and with a healing eye - blechhh!

The only positive thing is that the exterminator is wonderful, very sensitive and extremely knowledgeable, just an all-around lovely person, and he wears a KN94 mask as a matter of course. His regular bi-weekly visits to the building are covered by our monthly HOA fees, but if I need an extra trip it's another $150 - plus a very nice tip. Not to mention the 2 plumber visits that cost $$$.

Good luck with your surgery!  I know it can weigh on your mind.  

I hope the mice problem is resolved too.  Can someone come and help with cleanup, if necessary while you recuperate?  

One option is those stand alone dust pans. They have a long handle so you don’t have to lean over to handle it.  Using a broom, you can sweep and clean debris, while staying upright.  I haven’t used one, but considered getting one.  Here’s a link.  I’m not associated with Amazon or anyone who sells these.

https://www.amazon.com/Dustpan-Upright-Standing-Kitchen-Cleaning/dp/B09CGRWC62/ref=asc_df_B09CGRWC62/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563711317360&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4045155026367602134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009688&hvtargid=pla-1649960293887&psc=1

Also, I can’t say for sure if these devices work or not, but I use one and so far, so good with no mice.  

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-Ultrasonic-Pest-Repeller/dp/B008653COM/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAiApvebBhAvEiwAe7mHSHVpGdzidRbFsdXL00GDr0BRZcybFRlg0VWSqJqDhaHW4Lxfly4o0xoC2FgQAvD_BwE&hvadid=616862899152&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9009688&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14148749909338314137&hvtargid=kwd-1788320611&hydadcr=24656_13611721&keywords=sonic%2Bpest%2Brepeller&qid=1669219515&sr=8-5&th=1

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/23/2022 at 11:04 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Good luck with your surgery!  I know it can weigh on your mind.  

I hope the mice problem is resolved too.  Can someone come and help with cleanup, if necessary while you recuperate?  

One option is those stand alone dust pans. They have a long handle so you don’t have to lean over to handle it.  Using a broom, you can sweep and clean debris, while staying upright.  I haven’t used one, but considered getting one.  Here’s a link.  I’m not associated with Amazon or anyone who sells these.

https://www.amazon.com/Dustpan-Upright-Standing-Kitchen-Cleaning/dp/B09CGRWC62/ref=asc_df_B09CGRWC62/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563711317360&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4045155026367602134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009688&hvtargid=pla-1649960293887&psc=1

Also, I can’t say for sure if these devices work or not, but I use one and so far, so good with no mice.  

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-Ultrasonic-Pest-Repeller/dp/B008653COM/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAiApvebBhAvEiwAe7mHSHVpGdzidRbFsdXL00GDr0BRZcybFRlg0VWSqJqDhaHW4Lxfly4o0xoC2FgQAvD_BwE&hvadid=616862899152&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9009688&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14148749909338314137&hvtargid=kwd-1788320611&hydadcr=24656_13611721&keywords=sonic%2Bpest%2Brepeller&qid=1669219515&sr=8-5&th=1

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I appreciate it. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 3

Belated Thanksgiving wishes to everyone!  We stayed home.  I cook all the time but we decided to order a premade Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods.  We got the 4 person turkey breast meal.  I also found a no-sugar added pumpkin pie at Shop Rite.  The meal was pretty good, but we both thought the gravy was too salty and the sweet potato casserole and cranberry sauce were too sweet.  We think this might be partly because we have gotten used to eating less sodium and sugar.  Of course I had to doctor everything up my own way, like adding a little garlic and herbs to the gravy and cutting it with water (because it was soooo salty and thick).  And I put Bell's seasoning on the stuffing and put it under the broiler to crisp the top.  

@Teafortwo, good luck with your cataract surgery.  By the way I got one of those stand-up dust pans at the dollar store last year and it works great, so check your local off price stores if you can.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Belated Thanksgiving wishes to everyone!  We stayed home.  I cook all the time but we decided to order a premade Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods.  We got the 4 person turkey breast meal.  I also found a no-sugar added pumpkin pie at Shop Rite.  The meal was pretty good, but we both thought the gravy was too salty and the sweet potato casserole and cranberry sauce were too sweet.  We think this might be partly because we have gotten used to eating less sodium and sugar.  Of course I had to doctor everything up my own way, like adding a little garlic and herbs to the gravy and cutting it with water (because it was soooo salty and thick).  And I put Bell's seasoning on the stuffing and put it under the broiler to crisp the top.  

@Teafortwo, good luck with your cataract surgery.  By the way I got one of those stand-up dust pans at the dollar store last year and it works great, so check your local off price stores if you can.

We stayed home too and it was real simple. I don’t care for cooking thanksgiving foods so it was mostly quick box stuff and then a night of Harry Potter.

Speaking of quick stuff, I found some amazing veggie bowls at Target. They’re called Purple Carrot and they’re 4.99 a bowl, which for me costs way less than if I bought all the ingredients and made it myself (which I don’t have time for). It tastes homemade and has quite a variety of veggies, so far the maple chipotle bowl is may favourite. All that dense, colourful and filling food for 300 calories. It’s ONLY at Target though so we have to drive a ways and stock up on them.

image.thumb.jpeg.b758ae0a57d312223e1d9ebb6cfddce1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 11/21/2022 at 6:59 AM, TurtlePower said:

I agree out there it seems like nothing — we went to Roswell because it had the only Target for hundreds of miles. We drove to El Paso for Whole Foods and it was 2 hours away — it had the only “Not Milk” in the lower eastern TX/NM area. We’d get several half gallons of the stuff (it had an amazing texture for dairy free and it was worth the drive). 

Now, on Long Island, I’m starting to understand why the locals won’t drive more than a few miles (though I will travel to Riverhead to the Tanger Outlets and the Target). A few miles on Long Island feels like 60 in AZ or NM. 

(Moved here from the Leon Brown thread)

My Long Island friend used to refer to everything in terms of minutes to get there.  I'd tell her a store opened up only 10 miles from her and she'd act like she wouldn't be able to go there very often.  Meanwhile here in CT 10 miles only takes 15 minutes door to door, 20 with traffic.  And not even on the highway either!  I checked and found out that L.I. is the most populous island in the U.S.  The population density is 3-4 times higher on Long Island than here in CT.  The population of CT is 3.6 million while the population of L.I. is 8 million.  On L.I. you have more than twice the people crammed into an area that's something like 1/4 the size!  Then factor in the people who have vacation homes and go to Long Island as tourists and it's even worse.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

(Moved here from the Leon Brown thread)

My Long Island friend used to refer to everything in terms of minutes to get there.  I'd tell her a store opened up only 10 miles from her and she'd act like she wouldn't be able to go there very often.  Meanwhile here in CT 10 miles only takes 15 minutes door to door, 20 with traffic.  And not even on the highway either!  I checked and found out that L.I. is the most populous island in the U.S.  The population density is 3-4 times higher on Long Island than here in CT.  The population of CT is 3.6 million while the population of L.I. is 8 million.  On L.I. you have more than twice the people crammed into an area that's something like 1/4 the size!  Then factor in the people who have vacation homes and go to Long Island as tourists and it's even worse.

And we’re further east too, so it’s not nearly as bad as it is closer to the city. We’re in a forested area so it “feels” like it’s not urban until you go out.

I’m tolerating it because I love trees and green. It’s way nicer than vegas was in that regard — never gets too hot or too cold. Humidity is nice. Clouds are amazing. The ocean is wonderful. Still, I can’t wait to go because it’s just too expensive (but the COLA is good). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 12/4/2022 at 8:39 PM, oliviabenson said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clez81mgaPF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

woman found after she was kidnapped as a baby 51 years ago! Her parents are still alive! I cried. 

I know they are all so happy to finally reunite!

I read that, too. They never stopped looking for her!

In other news, I had my cataract surgery last Monday so it's been a week. No one prepared me for what happened. I'm okay now but omg. The doctor put the new lens in, then she said it was "cracked" and THEN she asked me if I'd had recent eye trauma. Because after she put in the lens, she noticed that there was a weakness in the little envelope in your eye where the lens is supposed to go. She took out the cracked lens and then had to put a different kind of lens outside the envelope and suture it to my iris. It was so scary! Especially reading the new terms I heard during the procedure: "sulcus" and "vitrectomy."

Apparently this happens very rarely so they don't warn you about the possibility in advance.... With all the medical issues I've had this year, I'm not too surprised. Still it was awful, after everyone I know told me what a breeze cataract surgery is, and how they saw clearly immediately after, etc. etc. 

Vision is still blurry but seems to be improving. The surgeon is a very experienced cataract specialist at an excellent teaching hospital so I was in good hands, but was very upset when I went home and looked up the new terminology. With my other eye. For the first several days, the vision in the cataract eye was worse than it had been with the cataract.

I took 3 days off including the surgery day and when I went back to work on Thursday, things had piled up so much that I had a 13 hour day followed by an 11 hour day. Absolutely insane - but if I didn't have a job with decent health insurance, I'd be in serious trouble.

• Hugs 10

Sorry you had so many problems with your cataract surgery. I had both eyes done early this year with fortunately no problems. We are all so different and weird things can happen. Hopefully you are healing well and vision is improved.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

In other news, I had my cataract surgery last Monday so it's been a week. No one prepared me for what happened. I'm okay now but omg. The doctor put the new lens in, then she said it was "cracked" and THEN she asked me if I'd had recent eye trauma. Because after she put in the lens, she noticed that there was a weakness in the little envelope in your eye where the lens is supposed to go. She took out the cracked lens and then had to put a different kind of lens outside the envelope and suture it to my iris. It was so scary! Especially reading the new terms I heard during the procedure: "sulcus" and "vitrectomy."

Apparently this happens very rarely so they don't warn you about the possibility in advance.... With all the medical issues I've had this year, I'm not too surprised. Still it was awful, after everyone I know told me what a breeze cataract surgery is, and how they saw clearly immediately after, etc. etc. 

Vision is still blurry but seems to be improving. The surgeon is a very experienced cataract specialist at an excellent teaching hospital so I was in good hands, but was very upset when I went home and looked up the new terminology. With my other eye. For the first several days, the vision in the cataract eye was worse than it had been with the cataract.

I took 3 days off including the surgery day and when I went back to work on Thursday, things had piled up so much that I had a 13 hour day followed by an 11 hour day. Absolutely insane - but if I didn't have a job with decent health insurance, I'd be in serious trouble.

Sorry to hear your surgery didn’t quite go as you expected. Having work done on your eyes would be scary and stressful, hope it gets better! 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 12/5/2022 at 9:43 PM, Teafortwo said:

OMG, that IS scary!  You are like me, everything that supposedly "never" happens happens to you.  And then people wonder why I'm afraid of everything anymore, LOL.

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for your speedy recovery.  Please let us know how it's going!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Has anyone ever taken any overnight/ multi-day train trips?  If so did you enjoy them? 

No, but I want to. What are your plans? 

I love trains so much I used to go to Nevada Northern Railway in Boulder City and ride the 844 locomotive all the time on its little route from the museum through railroad pass and back. They were supposed to have extended the route but don’t know if they did. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

No, but I want to. What are your plans? 

I love trains so much I used to go to Nevada Northern Railway in Boulder City and ride the 844 locomotive all the time on its little route from the museum through railroad pass and back. They were supposed to have extended the route but don’t know if they did. 

I don’t have any exact plans at the moment but when I get better I’d like to take a trip by train in the Grand Canyon and Sedona areas.  I would also like to try the California Zephyr which goes Chicago, Omaha, Denver, Salt Lake City, Emeryville (San Francisco).

• Love 6