Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I am a volunteer at my local hospital and we are still required to wear masks as we are at the dentist and ophthalmology offices at which I am a patient.  I choose to wear one in stores as well but practically no one else does.

Sadly, after almost three years I got nailed by a loving cousin.  She came to visit and announced:  "It's not Covid, just a cold" and then called when she got home to tell me she was wrong.  If one more person says "It's just a cold" my head is going to explode. TEST FIRST!

And why would she think it's OK to pass a cold to you?  You feel just as bad and if you have a preexisting condition you can still have complications. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I do not wear a mask in the grocery store any more unless it is crowded. I do not get close enough to people to catch something. At work if a customer comes in with a mask I put one on or if they seem congested I will put on a mask. Also if an older person or anyone who seems frail I will put on my mask. However flu and cold season is coming and I will be wearing a mask whenever I am around people.  I pan on getting the flu vaccine and Covd booster but want to wait a bit so they will be full strength when flu season is at its worst. 

• Like 2

Well, I'm happy and very grateful.  My doctor found a skin cancer on my head last spring. I had surgery and luckily it was all removed in just one visit.  Just got back from my skin check and everything is all good, including my oddball head.  😁 

That’s right, you can't keep a hot trucking momma down, baby!  💃😉🙃

What a year this has been for me.  Can't believe it's late September already.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 7

I’m on a group trip/tour this week. Last night at dinner I was seated next to a couple who lives in Flagstaff. After awhile I couldn’t resist asking about the Browns. 

“So…do you happen to know of Kody Brown?” 
well imagine my surprise when they answered “who”? 
Actually I wasn’t all that surprised but clearly Kody is a legend in his own mind. 😅

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 18
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I’m on a group trip/tour this week. Last night at dinner I was seated next to a couple who lives in Flagstaff. After awhile I couldn’t resist asking about the Browns. 

“So…do you happen to know of Kody Brown?” 
well imagine my surprise when they answered “who”? 
Actually I wasn’t all that surprised but clearly Kody is a legend in his own mind. 😅

Thanks for taking one for the team!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

And why would she think it's OK to pass a cold to you?  You feel just as bad and if you have a preexisting condition you can still have complications. 

We had several people at work who had covid.  No one told us.  Because they say that is a violation of their privacy.  Well the protocols are to not come back until the symptoms are gone, coughing etc.  Also a requirement for you to wear a well fitting mask for 10 days after returning to work.  None of those people wore a mask before or after.  Thus exposing me to it and I ended up missing a week of work.  Unlike the others, I choose to text my coworker who I share a computer with to let them know to spray the desk and keyboard with something before using it and to get some gloves to wear.  

In my opinion, this is why this pandemic has been worse here.  There are always just enough people who wont do the right thing.  Making it spread like wildfire.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Me and my husband own an RV. They can be powered multiple ways. You can hook up to electricity, run off the built in generator, or even run off batteries (although the batteries won't last long if you are powering the whole rv off of them.)

We use our rv as a vacation home. We take 4 to 5 trips a year.

Ours is a 36 foot mobile home. We drive the rv and tow a car. They are very comfortable. We have taken several trips on the east coast in the winter. Between the heater and the electric fireplace, we are not cold.

Granted, I wouldn't want it to be my full time home in the winter, it's fine for a week or two.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

So she would have to have a generator running off of propane to provide power as there is no way to hook up to power on Coyote Pass. Seems like it would have been more sensible to move outside of Flagstaff and find a rental rather than sinking all of this money into an RV. And didn't Janelle say that last winter she did just that?  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

So she would have to have a generator running off of propane to provide power as there is no way to hook up to power on Coyote Pass. Seems like it would have been more sensible to move outside of Flagstaff and find a rental rather than sinking all of this money into an RV. And didn't Janelle say that last winter she did just that?  

That's what I'm wondering as well,

Didn't she move into an apartment in town for the winter and she had the RV hauled back to the dealer for "repairs" and to be winterized?

Why on earth did it need repairs? is that normal for a brand new RV?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

That's what I'm wondering as well,

Didn't she move into an apartment in town for the winter and she had the RV hauled back to the dealer for "repairs" and to be winterized?

RV's are light weight. They are not heavy duty like a house. They need to be light enough to travel down the road. If they were using it full time, like a house, I could see things breaking.

My husband is handy, he's always fixing something in the RV and we only use it for vacation.

I could just imagine Janelle and Savanah full time, with of course, no help from Kody. I bet it needed a lot of repairs.

Edited by Libby
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Libby said:

RV's are light weight. They are not heavy duty like a house. They need to be light enough to travel down the road. If they were using it full time, like a house, I could see things breaking.

I guess it just surprises me because she was only in it for a few months in the summer and it was just Janelle and Savanah 🤷‍♀️

Janelle has 2 large dogs so maybe that contributed to the damage.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2022 at 4:02 AM, Joan of Argh said:

For all the other crazy cat ladies out there…

Just had to share this. 😸

68750758-2BD3-4EAB-8B36-3BBF88C7252C.jpeg

Love it!!! If that cutie patootie kitty comes WITH the table, even better!

Edited by goofygirl
  • LOL 5
On 10/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, Dustbunny said:

Definitely.  That's one reason people in the know usually recommend buying slightly used instead of new--let someone else spend the first year driving it back and forth to the dealership to get all the manufacturing defects corrected.  We're all spoiled by how cars are so well made these days, and RVs couldn't be more different.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Love it!!! If that cutie patootie kitty comes WITH the table, even better!

And the hole has enough shoulder room for kitty to stand up straight, reach over and grab food off plates or out of hands and sit back down on the perch to eat.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, deirdra said:

And the hole has enough shoulder room for kitty to stand up straight, reach over and grab food off plates or out of hands and sit back down on the perch to eat.

Or wiggle through and climb onto the table.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

Many thanks to those who have noticed my recent absence from the board. 

I have been diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma, and last month had surgery to correct. Unfortunately, my elderly ( 85 year old ) blood vessels could not support the Whipple procedure attempted, so I will be taking the chemo/radiation route.

Rabbit Hutch, I could only wish that some hunk'a burning love had swept me away to Temptation Island, that may have put a spring in my step. 🤣

I am sorry to hear, prayers to you. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I have been diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma, and last month had surgery to correct. Unfortunately, my elderly ( 85 year old ) blood vessels could not support the Whipple procedure attempted, so I will be taking the chemo/radiation route.

Rabbit Hutch, I could only wish that some hunk'a burning love had swept me away to Temptation Island, that may have put a spring in my step. 🤣

I hope you are better soon.  I know it’s a tough road, but I bet you’re a tough lady!  Only good thoughts to you .

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

So happy to see you posting again Sandy… the 3 Amigos just wasn’t the same without you! 😋   

Now stay put!  ❤️

Edited by Joan of Argh
Autocorrect
  • Love 13
22 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Thanks for posting this Sandy W.  I hope you’re feeling better soon and back on the boards.  🌸🌞

• Love 12

With all the violence in the world, it can sometimes be so scary.  I know I’m dealing with anxiety like never before.  So, it was super nice when I had such a positive encounter with a stranger at a local (Raleigh) UPS store last week.  I was there for a business matter and was struggling with an issue.  This young guy, who was also a customer, volunteered to help me and was so nice about it.  I might add the two staff members were nice too.  The young man, who was the customer was very thoughtful and chatted a bit.  Asked about my day…..His personality was so outstanding that I found him incredibly attractive too!  Lol. He was way too young for me, but I definitely got a flirty vibe.  Maybe, that was my wishful thinking. Lol  Anyway, he really helped me out, saved me time and money, plus, made my day with some awesome male energy.  Sadly, later that day Raleigh had a very horrible experience. (Mass shooting, killing 5). I’m trying to focus on the goodness in people in the aftermath.   🙏

• Hugs 13
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With all the violence in the world, it can sometimes be so scary.  I know I’m dealing with anxiety like never before.  So, it was super nice when I had such a positive encounter with a stranger at a local (Raleigh) UPS store last week.  I was there for a business matter and was struggling with an issue.  This young guy, who was also a customer, volunteered to help me and was so nice about it.  I might add the two staff members were nice too.  The young man, who was the customer was very thoughtful and chatted a bit.  Asked about my day…..His personality was so outstanding that I found him incredibly attractive too!  Lol. He was way too young for me, but I definitely got a flirty vibe.  Maybe, that was my wishful thinking. Lol  Anyway, he really helped me out, saved me time and money, plus, made my day with some awesome male energy.  Sadly, later that day Raleigh had a very horrible experience. (Mass shooting, killing 5). I’m trying to focus on the goodness in people in the aftermath.   🙏

Hugs. I have anxiety too, and any positive encounters with other humans in public mean so much. It reminds me there are decent people out there — they’re just less noticeable than the bad ones. 

• Like 3
  • Love 8
On 10/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, Sandy W said:

So happy to have you back @Sandy W! Best of luck with your upcoming treatment!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

So happy to have you back @Sandy W! Best of luck with your upcoming treatment!

Thank you The-Grey-Lady, I am confident in a positive outcome.  I am lucky to have a truly heroic team of health care professionals onboard for this journey.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

A 15 year old just got shot/killed on the subway. I am truly frightened to take the subway! It’s a different/more dangerous world out there! 

I am glad you had a positive experience with a nice person! It’s a rarity nowadays!

• Sad 6
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My husband has traveled for work for 26 years and I have always had low to high level of anxiety about it.  Slowly I got used to it (back then I had young children to focus on) and in all that time he has done so safely with only two fender bender type road accidents and a handful of breakdowns. He has met great and not so great people and has avoided any kind of violence, tho he has been in the neighborhood of some scary situations (Downtown Philly during the BLM protests and lockdowns and the white house armed security storming the room he was working in across the street because the new guy "stood by the window too long").  He has developed a kind of sense of his surroundings and knows what neighborhoods to avoid in many many cities all over the country. On the upside he can drive through Philadelphia, Manhattan, Queens and Washington DC without a map and he knows every worthwhile restaurant to eat at in New Orleans and many other cities.

After he went back to work after quarantine in 2020 my anxiety was always at high levels with everything I would read online. With all the issues in the US since then he is very good at just touching base with me, but not making it too obvious that he is "letting me know he is okay" but at the same time...doing just that. These last weeks/months of seeing headlines with shootings all over has made his new news easier for me to accept the new transition.

He is now taking a trial run for the next 3 months at an in office job. He is hoping to then transition to a work from home version of this job. While the biggest part of me is very relieved for him to end his traveling in the world as it is, the other part is freaking out just a bit.  I am very used to living my life my way for the week and then my life a different way on the weekend. 😂  While he is very much romanticizing working from home, his new boss is making it a full trial run in case he really hates it and wants to return to traveling.

Wish me luck that we both make it still married on the other side. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

According to daily mail the 15 year old shooter killed his brother and the rest were strangers. 

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

According to daily mail the 15 year old shooter killed his brother and the rest were strangers. 

That’s what the reports say.  The 15 year old shooter is in critical condition with multiple gun shot injuries, including to the head.  It’s unclear if he will survive. Another  person remains in critical condition as well.  A k-9 officer has been released from the hospital and the other 5 are deceased.  Once of the victim’s dog was killed as well.   

• Sad 6

My apologies for being so absent from this thread for so long.  I know most of you have seen me posting elsewhere, so you know I'm still around.   I just don't know where the time is going these days....I've been on a diet for a little over a month now and between that and a few other things it's been all-consuming.  I'm on a medical weight loss program through my hospital.  I couldn't take the stuff they prescribed me (Metformin - for weight loss not diabetes).  My stomach went nuts on just one half dose so now I'm doing this solo until the doctor decides to put me on something else.  So I've only lost 5 lbs. so far, but if you add the 3 I lost before going on the program that makes 8 altogether, which is great.  My husband is also on the diet with me.  He recently found out he's a type 2 diabetic so he has had to make some radical changes.  He no longer eats fast food when he's out working and has cut out a lot of garbage.  Me, I haven't really made that many changes to my diet because I'm always eating pretty healthy.  I was doing pretty much the same thing before except now I've lowered my portion sizes and cut out a few more starchy carbs.  It's been rough at times, though.  Not because of feeling deprived because this is how I always eat, but because I'm feeling HUNGRY because I'm eating less of it!  But in general I'm feeling a lot better!

Re: Anxiety levels, tell me about it!  @Roslyn, as you may or may not remember, my husband drives for a living.  He was hired by a mega-rich client last year to be his family's personal driver.  At first it was like a part time job but now that they are going back to their pre-pandemic lives more and more, he's become busier and busier.  So not only do I have the worry about him out there at all hours of the day and night driving over 100 miles a day with all the crazy drivers, but I also have the worry that one day he's going to bring Covid home (and yes we have had all our boosters).  Oh, and the kids are horrible, they don't even give him 24 hours notice.  So forget it if we had planned on anything....

Here in CT we now have daily news of violent crime and horrible accidents.  Now the big thing is wrong way drivers.  We just had one horrific crash on a major interstate where two obviously stoned or drunk people in a car crashed into a tractor trailer.  The truck driver survived, but they died.  These accidents are becoming commonplace now.  They beg the question of just how stoned out of your mind you have to be to do this???

And just last week we had a horrific cop shooting in a town a few over from here where one of my good friends lives.  Three cops responded to a "domestic dispute" and were met by gunfire.  Two died and one was injured and is going to be fine.  This whole week was taken up by this situation.  They had a huge procession of police vehicles when the bodies of the two deceased officers were brought to the Medical Examiner's office, which is at the hospital where I go for a lot of my medical appointments.  The presumption was that the dispute was between two brothers because they were both outside when the police arrived.  But then the story changed when certain details were uncovered that is making them think the two brothers faked the 911 call to lure cops to their house just so they could shoot them!  You can't make this stuff up!  This is how twisted things are these days!  I think one brother died in the exchange of gunfire.  Suicide by cop?  I can't even.....I'm wondering if this story made the news out of state.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1

This kind of makes me happy I can live as a hermit and order most of what I need online. I only go out about 2 times a month to pick up bills at the PO and a small grocery run.

Life out in the world has become scary.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

This kind of makes me happy I can live as a hermit and order most of what I need online. I only go out about 2 times a month to pick up bills at the PO and a small grocery run.

Life out in the world has become scary.

I hear you.  I haven't even been to that town where the police shooting occurred in 2 years because we keep hearing about crime there.  And it used to be a very quiet town that way.  I'm just happy all this happened when my friend that lives there was away on vacation overseas.  She's already regretting having moved there.

My radius is shrinking every day.  I try to remain close to home because this area has not seen the crime that some other towns have.  I've owned my car 2 years now and only put 7,500 miles a year on it!  And that includes several trips to NYC, too, which are 220 miles round trip.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
On 10/16/2022 at 12:10 PM, Yeah No said:

I hear you.  I haven't even been to that town where the police shooting occurred in 2 years because we keep hearing about crime there.  And it used to be a very quiet town that way.  I'm just happy all this happened when my friend that lives there was away on vacation overseas.  She's already regretting having moved there.

My radius is shrinking every day.  I try to remain close to home because this area has not seen the crime that some other towns have.  I've owned my car 2 years now and only put 7,500 miles a year on it!  And that includes several trips to NYC, too, which are 220 miles round trip.

Look, I know it's a little scary out there, me and DH live with it daily with the horrible drivers, out of control protests, robberies, shootings, food deserts, you name it.  But it's far worse to let fear completely dictate your life.  If fear takes over in such a manner then you've already died spiritually, and then whats the point?  Take precautions, practice situational awareness, and get on with your life.  You're too young to start giving up.  

Rootin for ya.  

• Like 10
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Look, I know it's a little scary out there, me and DH live with it daily with the horrible drivers, out of control protests, robberies, shootings, food deserts, you name it.  But it's far worse to let fear completely dictate your life.  If fear takes over in such a manner then you've already died spiritually, and then whats the point?  Take precautions, practice situational awareness, and get on with your life.  You're too young to start giving up.  

Rootin for ya.  

This happened to me. As someone with anxiety, PTSD and autism the world felt so scary, there were moments I didn’t want to exist in it anymore. I grew tired of fighting for my right to exist in peace — to go running and not worry about being abducted (almost happened to me), to not worry about home invasions and shootings or looking at someone wrong and being run off the road. Some days, I don’t understand what everyone is so angry about to take their anger out on absolute strangers just trying to mind their own business. 

• Hugs 15

I have a bit of a dilemma. My refrigerator is shot - alternately too cold/too warm and it's over 15 years old, time for a new one. It's a GE but the new GEs mostly won't fit my space (there are a couple that might work, but are around $1300 which is too much. I have to get a 24" x 28 " (max) fridge. 

Does anyone know which of these brands has the best fridge? I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports anymore and it's tough to trust online reviews. My choices, in no particular order, are:

Summit, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Haier. They're all around $600 - all are on sale right now.

The store I usually use is a local chain and super easy to deal with if there's any delivery damage, plus they cart away the old appliance. But the rep I usually deal with pushed for me to get an Avanti. I had a bad experience with an Avanti in the past so that's out. I got the sense that's what they have available now but I'm willing to wait for a better brand. 

ETA I wonder what happened to the poster from NYC @iwantcookies ? She'd be able to relate to this and is likely familiar with the store I'm referring to. I hope she's okay.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

I have a bit of a dilemma. My refrigerator is shot - alternately too cold/too warm and it's over 15 years old, time for a new one. It's a GE but the new GEs mostly won't fit my space (there are a couple that might work, but are around $1300 which is too much. I have to get a 24" x 28 " (max) fridge. 

Does anyone know which of these brands has the best fridge? I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports anymore and it's tough to trust online reviews. My choices, in no particular order, are:

Summit, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Haier. They're all around $600 - all are on sale right now.

The store I usually use is a local chain and super easy to deal with if there's any delivery damage, plus they cart away the old appliance. But the rep I usually deal with pushed for me to get an Avanti. I had a bad experience with an Avanti in the past so that's out. I got the sense that's what they have available now but I'm willing to wait for a better brand. 

ETA I wonder what happened to the poster from NYC @iwantcookies ? She'd be able to relate to this and is likely familiar with the store I'm referring to. I hope she's okay.

This is so funny, I was just reading refrigerator ratings on Consumer Reports' site yesterday!  They sent me an email with a link to an article.  I am a subscriber, BTW.  I also recently purchased a new fridge last year.

Shall I assume that you are looking for a top freezer model?  Because their recommendations are specific to the style of the fridge.  They say that top freezer models consistently get the best reliability ratings overall, but people tend to prefer the convenience of other styles, like French Door and side-by-side fridges.  But I know that in apartments you're usually too limited in width and height to get one of those.

Here's the relevant excerpt from their article regarding top freezer models.  I put it in a spoiler box:

Spoiler

Top-Freezer Refrigerators

Short on style and features, this traditional configuration offers the best value. Only 6 percent of refrigerators in CR’s survey are top-freezers.

Top-freezers, as a category, have the highest predicted reliability. Despite these high marks, most top-freezer brands are rated low in terms of owner satisfaction.

Within the category, seven of the nine brands earned Excellent ratings for predicted reliability: Amana, Frigidaire, Kenmore, LG, Maytag, Samsung, and Whirlpool. But only LG received a positive owner satisfaction rating (earning a Very Good score), making it the best top-freezer brand to choose.

GE and Hotpoint top-freezers got Very Good ratings for predicted reliability, but both brands received Poor ratings for owner satisfaction.

They recommend the LG as best overall, but only because it scored higher in owner satisfaction than the other brands that received excellent reliability ratings.  The other brands recommended as excellent are Amana, Frigidaire, Kenmore, Maytag, Samsung and Whirlpool.

Based on my own experience I've had 4 Whirlpool fridges in my life in various places and times and all of them were fantastic.  I still have two of them, LOL.  The one I bought last year (a huge side-by-side) and the one before it which is 15 years old and now lives in my garage. 

My father bought a Frigidaire at PC Richard within the past 15 years and it was nothing but trouble. 

Let me know if you need CR's opinion on any other styles of fridge.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Rootin for ya.  

Thanks so much!  I used to be fearless but since the pandemic, the rise in crime and general danger out there, and now seeing my senior years on the horizon with medical concerns and issues (nothing major thankfully but some serious enough for concern) I am feeling more vulnerable than ever about everything.  

My husband is now 66 and just found out he's a type 2 diabetic.  Talk about feeling more vulnerable!  His attitude has changed too, although I don't think as much as mine has.  He's pretty fearless about the driving, like I know you are.  I used to be, but it's just gotten so bad out there that it's changed me.

We don't eat indoors in restaurants anymore - well we have a few times since the pandemic but only when we were sure the Covid numbers were pretty low at the time, and in situations where we weren't seated close to anyone else.  Even this year neither of us wants to get together with his entire family around the holidays.  His nephews and their SO's are not that careful about Covid and both have had it more than once.  And they're not the kind of people you can ask to take a test before you see them.  So we'll just see his sister and her husband alone around the holidays and we'll all test beforehand.  But that means that neither of us have seen his nephews now in at least 2 years.  Both are in their 30s and to be honest they don't really care.  So my husband doesn't either.  Not my family, but whatever.

We also don't go to group events either anymore.  Not that we ever did that much of it but now forget it.  And about safety, I find myself making sure I don't leave anything on the seat of my car that a break-glass robber might want to snatch.  And forget about going walking alone on walking trails.  Uh uh, not happening.

Don't forget, I have PTSD from having lived in the Bronx for the first 33 years of my life at a time when things were pretty rough.  I'm always watching my back, it's second nature to me.  And I'm very prone to catching viruses and get them worse than most people.  When others have a sniffle and a headache I'm in bed on my back for a couple of weeks.

So some of this is at least understandable.

One thing though is that it hasn't really crushed me in any spiritual way other than make me sad about the direction I see the world going.  I'm generally an introvert and so some of what looks like avoidance of life and giving up is just my nature in general.

As we go into Winter I tend to suffer from SADS no matter how much walking I do, sitting outside or Vitamin D I take.  And that contributes to my outlook too.

But thanks, I appreciate it, it's nice to know people care!  🧸

• Hugs 10
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

This one is at Lowe’s, it’s a bit smaller than  the space you have:

31794ADF-D8A9-490A-B09B-0F04F1BF7490.jpeg

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1