Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

On 8/17/2022 at 6:22 PM, Teafortwo said:

I'm gonna need a site like that for upcoming eye surgery. I know it's considered no big deal, but with my other health issues I'm not thrilled about having to have cataract surgery in a couple months.

It may not be life-threatening but it involves your eyes and they’re incredibly important!  cataract can seriously damage your vision if not treated, so my mom told me a while ago. I can totally understand why you’re a bit apprehensive.

Good luck with the upcoming surgery, hope all goes well. Try not to stress too much if you can. Sending hugs.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

This has probably been asked before but if a Mormon wife dies before her husband does she roam around on his planet until he gets there or wander around on her dad’s planet until her husband calls her to his planet or is she floating around somewhere else? Also, if she didn’t want to go to her husband’s planet or her father’s planet where does she go? Can a son call his mother to his planet? These questions might not be phrased that great, but hopefully you get the gist.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
On 8/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, Irate Panda said:

These questions might not be phrased that great, but hopefully you get the gist.

Nobody knows, even the Mormons.  It isn't spelled out anywhere as far as I can find out.  Probably back when everyone got married and stayed married it might have been simple but there are way too many variables in modern life.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5

It’s been a long time since I took lessons from the missionaries on the LDS church, but I did recently read that unmarried women, if they qualify otherwise, would have an opportunity to marry in the afterlife!  I’m not sure if that applies to men as well.  Plus,  since Mormons believe their marriage is eternal only if they are sealed in the Temple, how do fundamental Mormons do that, since they don’t have temples?  The Browns have steered clear from too much detail on their religious beliefs on the show and I get why.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Hi guys, just a quick surgery update here. I'm now on day 18 post-surgery and doing fine. I'm up and "running" and keep myself occupied during the day with light chores  and some fun stuff. (I had a great time with a jigsaw puzzle of 1000 pieces, never thought I'd have the patience for that, but here we are)  I briefly considered starting a SW marathon but opted against it and chose to finally watch Game of Thrones. Somehow I never got round to watch that one. I really need to keep myself busy with little things as I am not particularly good at doing nothing. My doc knows me well and warned me I'd be in a lot of trouble if I pushed things too far and to quickly ;-) 

Thanks for the kind words and sharing your experiences! 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 14
14 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Been there, done that.  I finally made sure the shampoo was always on the same shelf and the conditioner was always on the other one.  Lasik helped a lot.

In addition to putting the Shampoo in the Right corner and Conditioner in the Left, I've also taken a big Sharpie and drawn a 3" high S on the shampoo and C on the conditioner label.  LOL.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Shampoo on the left and conditioner on the right.  I've been doing that for years.   

Just getting over the dreaded C word.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Coughing and just feeling tired.  I had three shots.  So hopefully that is what kept it mild.  The only issue I'm having now, is a low grade headache and being short of breath, still tired, but that might be because i did nothing for about 7 days.  Well except watch the last season of SW, before the new season starts.

• Hugs 8

I got the updated shot yesterday; that brings the total to five.  Same with Mr. X.  Flu shots next month.  I still wear a mask indoors, too.  Our friend had Covid a couple of months ago.  He's also a seasoned citizen like we are, and I think that the shots kept him from getting seriously ill.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:22 AM, deirdra said:

In addition to putting the Shampoo in the Right corner and Conditioner in the Left, I've also taken a big Sharpie and drawn a 3" high S on the shampoo and C on the conditioner label.  LOL.

I use Pantene, and luckily, the bottles are shaped differently, or I'd probably mix them up, too.

• Love 5

A seasoned citizen sounds like you about to bbq him for dinner 🤣😭🤪

On 9/8/2022 at 11:19 AM, xwordfanatik said:

I got the updated shot yesterday; that brings the total to five.  Same with Mr. X.  Flu shots next month.  I still wear a mask indoors, too.  Our friend had Covid a couple of months ago.  He's also a seasoned citizen like we are, and I think that the shots kept him from getting seriously ill.

I use Pantene, and luckily, the bottles are shaped differently, or I'd probably mix them up, too.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • LOL 4

Following up on  the ripped jeans conversation that I think was in Maddie's thread?  Anyway, I said that the three grands liked those and I offered to rip jeans for free.  Well, the oldest is here for a visit and he is 22 and starting law school next week and we went shopping and he is now officially "over" the torn look.  So, I guess that's what happens to some of them.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I got the latest Moderna booster today.  Fingers crossed….. My dad and I both got it.  So far, so good.   

Good for you.  Nothing but Pfizer available in our rural area and I'd really like to hold out for Moderna.  That's what I have had so far so I know what to expect.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I got the latest Moderna booster today.  Fingers crossed….. My dad and I both got it.  So far, so good.   

Just got the bivalent Pfizer one myself. I felt it was critical since I have surgery next month.

Doing the flu end of October. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Update on bivalent Moderna vaccine.  Other than a slightly sore arm, I had no symptoms.  I awoke at 3 and had trouble  getting back to sleep, but felt fine.  I drank a lot of water.  Maybe, that helped.  I’m glad it’s done.  Now, I’ll just have the flu shot to get.  So, is it best to wait until October to get it?  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Update on bivalent Moderna vaccine.  Other than a slightly sore arm, I had no symptoms.  I awoke at 3 and had trouble  getting back to sleep, but felt fine.  I drank a lot of water.  Maybe, that helped.  I’m glad it’s done.  Now, I’ll just have the flu shot to get.  So, is it best to wait until October to get it?  

I'm waiting to get the flu shot late Oct or early Nov. so the protection will last through Feb. But I wear an N95 mask everywhere so I feel pretty protected. Avoiding most stores (am immunocompromised). Got Moderna booster last weekend, ahead of dentist and upcoming surgery.

• Like 5

I still wear a N95 mask too when out and about.  Still no indoor dining.  I’m also immunocompromised. I have an upcoming dental appointment too.  Glad I waited on the flu shot.  

Teafortwo, good luck with your surgery!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I still wear a N95 mask too when out and about.  Still no indoor dining.  I’m also immunocompromised. I have an upcoming dental appointment too.  Glad I waited on the flu shot.  

Teafortwo, good luck with your surgery!

Thank you @SunnyBeBe ! GL with your dental appt. I meet the cataract surgeon this Thursday and hoping to get the surgery done before the holidays. 

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

I meet the cataract surgeon this Thursday and hoping to get the surgery done before the holidays. 

The good thing about cataract surgery these days is in and out.  In the "olden days" when I first started in nursing you had to be an inpatient and lie on your back for 24 hours with sandbags on either side of your head!

And, no, I am not Florence Nightengale although some days I feel that old.

• Like 6
  • Wink 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

The good thing about cataract surgery these days is in and out.  In the "olden days" when I first started in nursing you had to be an inpatient and lie on your back for 24 hours with sandbags on either side of your head!

And, no, I am not Florence Nightengale although some days I feel that old.

Years ago, when my mom had her cataract surgery, she had to go to the hospital and be checked in both times.  Lots of restrictions afterward.  More recently, when I was taking care of a neighbor, I could not take her to the doctor for her surgery because of my work schedule.  I had a driver take her to the doctor's office and pick her up again.  No restrictions, no hospital involved.  What a difference time and experience makes.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My cataract surgery is almost 3 years old. It was easy peasy. We left for Mexico two days after the second eye. Dr said don't lift your own suitcase and don't get seawater in your eyes. Also easy peasy. 
I'm getting the second shingrix on Tuesday. Only a sore arm with first. I know it could be worse with second. Then comes COVID third booster after I get over shingrix.  Then flu shot. Son got Pfizer booster yesterday and has been feeling puny. Better now after about 24 hours. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Shingrex was far and away the worst reaction I ever had to anything but thankfully it was transient, lasting only a few hours other than the sore arm. I got SO COLD that I felt like I had swallowed a block of ice!  Had a heating pad and three blankets on and this was in the summer.  But, like I said, that passed and all was well.  Everyone is different!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My cataract surgery is almost 3 years old. It was easy peasy. We left for Mexico two days after the second eye. Dr said don't lift your own suitcase and don't get seawater in your eyes. Also easy peasy. 
I'm getting the second shingrix on Tuesday. Only a sore arm with first. I know it could be worse with second. Then comes COVID third booster after I get over shingrix.  Then flu shot. Son got Pfizer booster yesterday and has been feeling puny. Better now after about 24 hours. 

I had almost no reaction to the shingrix.  I was prepared for a lot of pain, per my brother.  Both times my arm was slightly red, and if I moved my arm it felt like, yeah, maybe I had had a shot.  But no real pain at all.  It was a breeze.  I had a flu shot at the same time as my second shingrix, and it was still no problem.  Best of luck, and I hope you come through painless!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Cetacean said:

Shingrex was far and away the worst reaction I ever had to anything but thankfully it was transient, lasting only a few hours other than the sore arm. I got SO COLD that I felt like I had swallowed a block of ice!  Had a heating pad and three blankets on and this was in the summer.  But, like I said, that passed and all was well.  Everyone is different!

My brother said the Shingrex were the worst shots he had ever had.  Lots of pain and redness.  I had no pain at all.  You are so right--everyone is different.  I'm glad you are recovered well.  In my opinion, and speaking from experience, ANY pain from the shots is worth not getting shingles.  That pain is no fun at all.  Think of the worst sunburn you ever had, and multiply that by about 30.  (plus I had a doctor who couldn't recognize shingles---I never went back to him again.). I had shingles before Shingrex  was available.  I have now had both shots and hope never to mess with shingles again!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

In my opinion, and speaking from experience, ANY pain from the shots is worth not getting shingles. 

Oh, absolutely! Shingles is the worst and I am one of the group that had chicken pox so I am more prone to it.  I would swallow a block of ice if it meant not getting shingles

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Cetacean said:

Oh, absolutely! Shingles is the worst and I am one of the group that had chicken pox so I am more prone to it.  I would swallow a block of ice if it meant not getting shingles

I remember having chicken pox--and measles and mumps.  Kids today are so lucky to be able to avoid all that with just a few jabs.  I remember spending my 6th birthday in my dark bedroom with measles.  I am very, very thankful for today's medical research.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I remember having chicken pox--and measles and mumps.  Kids today are so lucky to be able to avoid all that with just a few jabs. 

I grew up in a neighborhood with lots of Catholic families with umpteen kids. It didn't take five minutes for every childhood disease to hit every house!  My mom was a nurse and she and a neighbor set up a vaccination clinic in our basement to give polio shots (yes, youngsters, they used to be shots not sugar cubes).  The health department begged nurses all over to do that once the polio vaccine became available.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Shingrex was far and away the worst reaction I ever had to anything but thankfully it was transient, lasting only a few hours other than the sore arm. 

Was that the first or second shot of the set?

I had chicken pox, measles, mumps. Chicken pox was the itchiest but measles was the worst risk-wise.  Luckily my mother was a pediatric nurse and was taking my temperature day and night. It shot up to 105F in the middle of the night & she yanked me out of bed & held me down in a tub full of cold water with my father & older sister adding ice cubes as I screamed bloody murder. My temperature came down & I was fine. My mother had seen other kids that suffered brain damage due to high fever, so I was lucky.  By the time my baby brother came along when I was 7, there was a measles vaccine that he got.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I remember having chicken pox--and measles and mumps.  Kids today are so lucky to be able to avoid all that with just a few jabs.  I remember spending my 6th birthday in my dark bedroom with measles.  I am very, very thankful for today's medical research.

I was four years old when I had measles, and I remember the blanket over my bedroom window to darken the room.  I had chicken pox early on, too.  A jab is nothing compared to measles, which is serious stuff!

• Love 4

I've come to accept allowing these clowns to intrude on my life on Sunday evenings, but this afternoon I was watching a college football game, and the announcer said "And coming into the game is Cody Brown."  It's not enough that he ruins my Sunday nights...now he wants to ruin my Saturday afternoons as well?!  BTW, he didn't do very well...two carries for four yards.  I guess the moral is that if you want to successfully accomplish something, don't involve Cody Brown!

• LOL 10
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s what my Dr recommended, since it’s only good for about 4-5 months. 

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When did doctor’s offices stop requiring mask?  I’m in the dermatologist’s office and only about one-third of patients are wearing masks!  The receptionist doesn’t have one on either.  Is this normal now?  

It depends on where you live, with municipal bylaws, and if it's a blue state or red state. But anyone can wear a mask if they want to.

• Like 2

Every hospital/dr's office I have been to most employees are still wearing masks. I always mask up whenever/where ever I go. When I went for my shot in my knee at the Bone & Joint dr they asked me up front if I wanted providers to wear a mask and I said yes ... they all did. I'm in Montana.

• Love 2

I am a volunteer at my local hospital and we are still required to wear masks as we are at the dentist and ophthalmology offices at which I am a patient.  I choose to wear one in stores as well but practically no one else does.

Sadly, after almost three years I got nailed by a loving cousin.  She came to visit and announced:  "It's not Covid, just a cold" and then called when she got home to tell me she was wrong.  If one more person says "It's just a cold" my head is going to explode. TEST FIRST!

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Well, the doctor, PA and all staff in the medical section wore masks, just the receptionist who didn’t.  And, over half the patients.  I didn’t like it and wish I had been told before hand.  They sent several reminders for the appointment, they could have included, no mask required and I could have decided if I still wanted to go.  

Oh, she took a biopsy on a place on my face.  She wasn’t very concerned.  It’s probably something easy to address. Still, I’ve never had anything like that before.  

• Hugs 3
  • Love 1