Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Is anyone else getting popular. when browsing primetimer on android phone? I'm getting them from google, Walmart, my internet service provider and others asking to join a sweepstakes. I have to keep using the go back icon. I'm getting them even after having blocked popups.

YES!  And it's become really annoying.  The one I'm getting is from Google to say as a loyal customer I am entitled to a free Android phone, several months of free Netflix or several other "gifts".  It's been going on for 4 or 5 days now, but OK if I switch over to laptop.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
25 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Regarding ads, you can report them in Bugs, Questions & Suggestions which is under, Beyond TV Shows, in Site Business. It helps if they are made aware of it. 😁

Will do that, thank you!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

YES!  And it's become really annoying.  The one I'm getting is from Google to say as a loyal customer I am entitled to a free Android phone, several months of free Netflix or several other "gifts".  It's been going on for 4 or 5 days now, but OK if I switch over to laptop.

Yup that one kept popping up for me too so I went into safari and fixed it now it’s gone 👍🏻

4438ED21-184E-462A-B982-68590010944B.jpeg

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)

I clicked on the safari icon then on the double box icon and on the next page click shut all the icons with an X

worked like a charm hasn’t popped up since 

20C0419F-BC85-40AF-8B68-B2EEA8AE8FC8.jpeg

AA6AA9D6-E342-4AF0-B0EE-5FB3691487AD.jpeg

Edited by Joan of Argh
Pic
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I clicked on the safari icon then on the double box icon and on the next page click shut all the icons with an X

Oh Joan my dear friend, I appreciate so much you trying to help me out but you lost me at Safari icon,  Don't forget I'm a very elderly old broad doing my best to keep up with technology.  I'll wait 'til one of the kidlets come over or wait it out 'til it disappears on it's own accord.  It says I only have one minute and 40 seconds left to respond or they will give my "gift" to another lucky user, but they say that every day.

Thanks again, but it's really not a hardship to get off the sofa and sit upright at my desk.⌨️

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Oh Joan my dear friend, I appreciate so much you trying to help me out but you lost me at Safari icon,  Don't forget I'm a very elderly old broad doing my best to keep up with technology.  I'll wait 'til one of the kidlets come over or wait it out 'til it disappears on it's own accord.  It says I only have one minute and 40 seconds left to respond or they will give my "gift" to another lucky user, but they say that every day.

Thanks again, but it's really not a hardship to get off the sofa and sit upright at my desk.⌨️

That’s why I included a pics of the Safari icon and the double box icon… 

I was trying to explain the steps to a friend and she said “Just send me pictures!”  😂

Edited by Joan of Argh
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

That’s why I included a pics of the Safari icon and the double box icon… 

I was trying to explain the steps to a friend and she said “Just send me pictures!”  😂

If you mean that compass dial thing, I don't seem to have that.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

If you mean that compass dial thing, I don't seem to have that.

The compass dial thing is Apple’s thingy for internet. So, it’s only on iphones.😉 
If you have an android phone (all other brands are android) Joan’s brilliant  post is unfortunately of no good…

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

omg thanks Joan that thing has been dogging my iphone for 3 days, just did your fix and it's gone!!  YAY!!  👍❤️

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Another good one if your iPhone does this, is to shut it down, go to settings, then click safari and delete your entire history and cookies. This is actually a pretty good thing to do regardless of any issues. In this menu, Apple also offers options to block pop ups, prevent tracking etc. It’s pretty simple. I can do it too and I’m anything but a computer wizard. My husband usually takes care of  disobedient gadgets😜

Shutting down the internet and deleting your history and cookies will work on androids too, but your phone settings will likely look different. 

• Useful 3
15 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Another good one if your iPhone does this, is to shut it down, go to settings, then click safari and delete your entire history and cookies. This is actually a pretty good thing to do regardless of any issues. In this menu, Apple also offers options to block pop ups, prevent tracking etc. It’s pretty simple. I can do it too and I’m anything but a computer wizard. My husband usually takes care of  disobedient gadgets😜

Shutting down the internet and deleting your history and cookies will work on androids too, but your phone settings will likely look different. 

I have adblocker on my iPhone and I did the Safari "delete your entire history and cookies" I've done that before but it didn't remove this particular problem... this one was stubborn

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I haven’t noticed any pop ups…on my iPad, laptop or android phone, thank goodness. 

Today, Raleigh, NC was a sweltering 92 degrees!  More of the same tomorrow.  Praying for rain.  Planning to cook inside and watch fireworks on tv too.  I was going to take my dad to a small town 4th of July parade, but he’s decided it’s too hot.  I sort of agree.  

• Love 7
21 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

It’s pretty muggy out here. Ocean and sky blur together. Glad to be alive and to be able to leave my house! 

095E0CFF-D2ED-4D92-B547-C4E82B30943D.jpeg

B558A009-2772-4916-A977-09A679B579B1.jpeg

Humid on the island also, but it’s way better than the desert. I’ll take mosquitos and humidity over no trees and 110 degrees ANY day!! I DO NOT miss the desert.

Well, except Hatch chiles. I miss those so much I ordered a 25lb case to be shipped here to NY, where they will be roasted, peeled, shared and the rest frozen for use over the next year. Can’t find hatch Chile ANYTHING out here, even though Long Island has just about everything. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Another problem maybe someone can help me with.  I have the iMac iPhone iPad and they are allegedly synced.  Lately I can receive a text on all three, and respond on the iPhone and iPad, but, not on the iMac.  It says in red "not delivered".  This is a recent issue.

Well I took my own advice and rebooted.  Seems to be working so far.

Edited by lookeyloo
To add that I did what I should have and it worked so far
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I suspect I admire the desert landscapes due to it being so foreign to me.  Even as a kid, I dreamed of going out west.  I’ve always lived in the southeast. 

Today, I got a good portion of the lawn cut before 10:00.  Only about 80 degrees! Later, it’ll be over 90.   I can feel my body getting stronger, though.  There’s something about doing physical labor on the earth…..I like it.  It’s the best decision I’ve made in a long time.  Just hope the heat, wasp and poison ivy don’t do me in. 🤣 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2022 at 6:57 AM, TurtlePower said:

Well, except Hatch chiles. I miss those so much I ordered a 25lb case to be shipped here to NY, where they will be roasted, peeled, shared and the rest frozen for use over the next year. Can’t find hatch Chile ANYTHING out here, even though Long Island has just about everything. 

Please educate me about Hatch chiles.  I am in Michigan and there is a grocery store near me that sets up a tent once a year and does a Hatch chile roasting event.  The line is always long.  What am I missing? :)

• Like 4

If everything works out the way it should, our baby puppy girl is coming home this Sunday…   She’s almost 9 weeks old, so old enough to leave but we’re waiting for the final vet checks, her shots and her official papers to come through. Fingers crossed here. 
I guess I’ll have to fully enjoy the upcoming 5 nights with no little one that needs my attention and keeps me up lol. Or wakes me in the dead of night and then again an hour before dawn or so😂

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

If everything works out the way it should, our baby puppy girl is coming home this Sunday…   She’s almost 9 weeks old, so old enough to leave but we’re waiting for the final vet checks, her shots and her official papers to come through. Fingers crossed here. 
I guess I’ll have to fully enjoy the upcoming 5 nights with no little one that needs my attention and keeps me up lol. Or wakes me in the dead of night and then again an hour before dawn or so😂

So happy for you!!!!  Hope we get to see some pics but understand if you don’t feel comfortable doing so.  I bet she’s adorable!!!! I LOVE PUPPIES!!!! 🐶❤️❤️

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

So happy for you!!!!  Hope we get to see some pics but understand if you don’t feel comfortable doing so.  I bet she’s adorable!!!! I LOVE PUPPIES!!!! 🐶❤️❤️

Ah thanks, and if I have a good one of our little bundle of joy I don't mind sharing it with you all if you like 😍

• Applause 5
  • Love 8

News flash: I just made banana bread. Cut the sugar (light brown) down to 1/4 of what the recipe called for, and it's plenty sweet! 

We may now resume our regular snarking.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:06 PM, LilyD said:

Ah thanks, and if I have a good one of our little bundle of joy I don't mind sharing it with you all if you like 😍

Yes yes yes! GL tomorrow, so exciting!

• Like 5

If anyone is in need of a puppy fix, I highly recommend the Warrier Canine Connection webcams.  24/7 coverage of the puppy play room, the whelping room, and the nursery to give you the feel-goods.  It's an organization that raises, trains, and places dogs with service members in need.

As a "don't shop, adopt" proponent I haven't had a puppy in 30 years;  I only adopt older dogs from shelters.  I get my puppy fix by watching the WCC cams when I need some happy time!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

If anyone is in need of a puppy fix, I highly recommend the Warrier Canine Connection webcams.  24/7 coverage of the puppy play room, the whelping room, and the nursery to give you the feel-goods.  It's an organization that raises, trains, and places dogs with service members in need.

As a "don't shop, adopt" proponent I haven't had a puppy in 30 years;  I only adopt older dogs from shelters.  I get my puppy fix by watching the WCC cams when I need some happy time!

omg-wow.gif

OMG THOSE PUPPIES ARE SO ADORABLE!!!! They’re so chubby and cute! One kept tumbling over!!!

• Love 5

Unfortunately, we have to wait a few days longer for our little girl to arrive😥 a few of the puppies responded to the vaccinations and got bouts of diarrhea…. The kennel only wants to send the puppies away when in excellent health so huge disappointment here in our family. Having said that, such things are what sets the good breeders apart from the bad ones and the puppy mills….

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

OMG THOSE PUPPIES ARE SO ADORABLE!!!! They’re so chubby and cute! One kept tumbling over!!!

Aren't they?  I love it when they reach about 4 weeks old and start waddling around like drunken sailers.  WCC keeps them for 9-10 weeks before they go to foster parents for a year.  My favorite time is when they are romping on the outside deck.  Occasionally they have active duty military kids (they are all so young!) come and play with them outside.  It's so much fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Unfortunately, we have to wait a few days longer for our little girl to arrive😥 a few of the puppies responded to the vaccinations and got bouts of diarrhea…. The kennel only wants to send the puppies away when in excellent health so huge disappointment here in our family. Having said that, such things are what sets the good breeders apart from the bad ones and the puppy mills….

I hope your puppy feels better soon!

• Love 7
(edited)

2 articles on diet that everyone was like, DUH EVERYONE KNOWS THIS ALREADY (had to vent because this is common knowledge!). Well, maybe not Janelle — she’s a little behind the curve 🤣:

But seriously who’s writing this stuff we all already know? We learn this in grade school! 

https://www.insider.com/dietitians-say-vitamin-c-supplements-drinks-are-waste-of-money-2022-7?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&fs=e&s=cl

https://www.earth.com/news/high-fat-diet-linked-to-weight-gain-and-cognitive-decline/?fs=e&s=cl

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 4
On 7/3/2022 at 8:03 PM, Cetacean said:

I guess we, the Android users, are out of luck.  Oh, well, not missing much....

Actually we are in luck.  There's AdBlock Plus for Android on Google Play here:

https://adblockplus.org/android-install

Just a few clicks after install and you're good to go.  No ads or popups, works like a charm.  I also use the Windows version on my laptop and desktop.  It even works on YouTube.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

2 articles on diet that everyone was like, DUH EVERYONE KNOWS THIS ALREADY (had to vent because this is common knowledge!). Well, maybe not Janelle — she’s a little behind the curve 🤣:

But seriously who’s writing this stuff we all already know? We learn this in grade school! 

https://www.insider.com/dietitians-say-vitamin-c-supplements-drinks-are-waste-of-money-2022-7?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&fs=e&s=cl

https://www.earth.com/news/high-fat-diet-linked-to-weight-gain-and-cognitive-decline/?fs=e&s=cl

I'm not sure how old you are TPower, but diet fads, lies, shills, snake oils, etc, are as old as dirt. Losing weight is hard - there is always a desperate person coming up the bend willing to try almost anything. There's also heartless greedy folks willing to bottle up 'vitamins' and drinks and sell them as the be all, end all. This will never go away. Just like looking young stuff will be around forever.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
On 6/30/2022 at 6:12 PM, Cetacean said:

Yeah, our nearby state park is booked solid.  We are getting some much needed funding from the state government to fix our road as well as upgrade the electrical system.  In the olden days, tent campers rarely ever used the electric boxes.  Now the massive RVs with TVs, microwaves, and AC are sucking the juice out of our existing system!

Yeah, I hate to break it to those folks, but they're not camping...they're sleeping in mobile hotel rooms.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I’m trying to find a good deal on Amazon from Prime Day sale.  I think it’s FOMO. Lol.  My brother finds the best deals.  He’ll have an awesome item and when I ask details he says he got it online for$19.99.  Lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m trying to find a good deal on Amazon from Prime Day sale.  I think it’s FOMO. Lol.  My brother finds the best deals.  He’ll have an awesome item and when I ask details he says he got it online for$19.99.  Lol 

I've been looking too, but found nothing. At least nothing I want.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

A perfect deal is only a brilliant deal if you really want it or need it. Otherwise you'll just end up finding ways to spend your money. ...

To give an example: My husband found an absolutely brilliant deal for a new smart tv. He was right, it was cheap for the brand and the tv. He conveniently forgot we already have 4, 1 downstairs and  1 in every bedroom....

Edited by LilyD
example
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, LilyD said:

A perfect deal is only a brilliant deal if you really want it or need it. Otherwise you'll just end up finding ways to spend your money. ...

To give an example: My husband found an absolutely brilliant deal for a new smart tv. He was right, it was cheap for the brand and the tv. He conveniently forgot we already have 4, 1 downstairs and  1 in every bedroom....

That is so funny. I can relate on the tv deals.  I struggle to pass one up for a tv.  It’s difficult to describe. I guess everyone has their thing. Some women love shoes.  I enjoy opening it up, setting it up, enjoying the awesome clarity, etc.  I have 3 and don’t really need one right now, however they aren’t that new, so replacing 2 of them wouldn’t be unreasonable.  Lol. I did look at some yesterday for Prime sale, but resisted.  I didn’t buy anything!  Lol

• Like 7
20 hours ago, LilyD said:

Well you can always put a tv in the bathroom lolz

• LOL 5

I know!  He has this crazy knack for finding deals.  Actually, I think he subscribes to companies who alert him of the deals.  I don’t have that much patience.  I already get too many emails and texts. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won’t pass it on if you don’t mind😂 Just in case he thinks it an amazing idea.. 

• LOL 7
6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

That’s a Hollywood thing. Lol. I recall watching Tory Spelling on her reality show once and she said she loved having TVs in every room, including the bathrooms!  And, I recently saw Melissa Rivers’ bathroom renovation with Jeff Lewis and they had a lovely 45 inch tv in her bathroom.  It looked pretty good.  Her bathroom renovation was over $100,000.  🤣

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 3
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s a Hollywood thing. Lol. I recall watching Tory Spelling on her reality show once and she said she loved having TVs in every room, including the bathrooms!  And, I recently saw Melissa Rivers’ bathroom renovation with Jeff Lewis and they had a lovely 45 inch tv in her bathroom.  It looked pretty good.  Her bathroom renovation was over $100,000.  🤣

My husband has one in the back bathroom! There is a soaking tub back there, but I think he mostly just loves watching tv. He even has a large one in the garage. As I'm typing this, I'm counting and we have a tv in every room, except for the front bathroom! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I’m a tv hound for sure.  I once had a cable guy try to convince me that I didn’t need so many cable boxes. Lol.  I can see enjoying a nice movie while you have a relaxing bath.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

And the loser is.....

Sister Wives was runner up for the Worst Reality Show in the Primetimers following the "winner" - the Kartrashians.

And a very deserving raspberry to both of these embarrassing shows.

• Applause 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

And the loser is.....

Sister Wives was runner up for the Worst Reality Show in the Primetimers following the "winner" - the Kartrashians.

And a very deserving raspberry to both of these embarrassing shows.

But that probably brings more viewers. Does anyone not hate-watch these shows?

• Like 4
  • LOL 2