Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So would someone tell this COL if 'it's lit' means the same as 'it's cool. '

According to the Mod that I contacted, it means means "that something is really good, intense, fun, or exciting".

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Frankly I don’t see any reason why we’d need a thumbs down or any emoji to show disagreement. Most posters will either ignore a post or politely comment on it, which is good as it shows why you disagree. And it leaves the option to clarify or enter a responsible dialog. 

Totally agree.  And I fear it will lead to online arguments which are blessedly rare here.  I don't want this to turn into Facebook with a thumbs down icon triggering some massive back and forth hurling of insults. 

Up until now we could certainly disagree and sometimes did politely with a converation.  But thumbs down just seems like a taunt - if I don't agree and don't want to weigh in I just keep my mouth shut and don't add an icon of any kind. 

I think they are silly but it makes me wonder if PTV is trying to cater to a younger demographic that this group of COL's.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

According to the Mod that I contacted, it means means "that something is really good, intense, fun, or exciting".

I still don’t get the connection with this and a fire? To me, fire represents fire. Maybe something like heat or a hot topic if I think hard.  If I’m turning poetically (or drunk) it could mean destruction…

Yet somehow someone thought that a fire is a very simple and obvious representation of really good, exciting or intense ….😳🙃🤔

• Wink 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I still don’t get the connection with this and a fire?

Most of them seem unnecessary (proudly affixing my Clueless Old Lady badge to my bosom) but I guess the younger crowd prefers silly cartoons to real words.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

I do not ever say "it's lit." I may have once or twice back in the day when it was new. I *have* used I'M lit once or twice in my life, when the champagne was flowing!

I'm thinking I'll use fire as "Your comment is so great, it's on fire!" Or "That was a sick burn on Kody's dumb hair" 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I play Words With Friends on online game. Some of the opponents over the course of games may make a comment like "you are on fire today"...meaning that you or they are playing particularly well.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I play Words With Friends on online game. Some of the opponents over the course of games may make a comment like "you are on fire today"...meaning that you or they are playing particularly well.

I've used it that way myself, a time or two.  That makes much more sense to this admittedly COL, than anything else does.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

I think we need a clueless old lady button.  Maybe a woman with a blue rinse in her hair holding the ubiqutious garden hose?

This reminds me of a funny story.  I know a lady from Norway who now lives in the US.  She grew up in a town with a port where a lot of cruise ships would dock, and she would see a lot of US tourists.  When she first came to the US, she was shocked to find out that all American women did not have blue hair.  Since almost all the tourist ladies on the cruise ship had a blue rinse, she honestly thought that that is what all American women looked like.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I play that game too, and my issue is there are men that start a new game and two turns in send a chat like "how are you" "where are you from".  I then say I am not interested in a chat friend, a boyfriend, a date or anything else and if there is another chat I will quit.  Some of them then say "well, aren't you rude" and then I resign.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Some of the opponents over the course of games may make a comment like "you are on fire today"...meaning that you or they are playing particularly well.

That's an expression that actually goes back to the 1700's. 

• Useful 6

Exactly a couple of my grandkids use “lit” all the time… I’m used to it now  😝

if they go to a party that’s really rocking they’ll say “the party was lit!” Or if they go to a really good concert “that concert was lit!” Or like you said if they have a fantastic workout at the gym they’ll say “they were lit!”

Its like saying “I was on fire!” Or the “party was on fire!” Meaning really good, exceptional.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I play that game too, and my issue is there are men that start a new game and two turns in send a chat like "how are you" "where are you from".  I then say I am not interested in a chat friend, a boyfriend, a date or anything else and if there is another chat I will quit.  Some of them then say "well, aren't you rude" and then I resign.  

I have run into just a few of those characters.  You are usually addressed as "dear", then they launch into their life story...nearly always a widower with a daughter that is their "princess" and they are engaged in off-shore drilling, the military, or a humanitarian doctor ministering to the needs of underprivileged people overseas.  Then they want to swing over to another site when we can chat in greater detail.  WHOA!!! 

There are just a few that I chat with now, most of the people I play with will only comment on the game itself and that's the way I like to keep it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 6/2/2022 at 10:35 PM, Scarlett45 said:

To add to the shoe discussion- I’ve been OBSESSED with the Clark’s Cloudsteppers line for a few years. Perfect for actual commuting, dog walking, travel- yet they come in all styles, sandals, work shoes etc.  So incredibly comfortable and durable. I will pay good money for shoes but I do not want my SOLE on the ground. I could never get into Rothy’s even though the colors were so cute because there was no SOLE, so flimsy. 

I also like Softwalk for similar reasons. 

When my feet swelled up before the symptoms of my autoimmune condition were brought under control, Instagram showed me shoes that feel almost like slippers bit with a decent confy sole for waing  The brand is Merinos. They fit wel)well,  not tight but my heels do not slip out. I had to go up a full size amd that is even with my now thankfully no longer swollen feet. Customer service was great and return was am easy UPS drop off. I bought them I'm a kind of aquamarine color and they go well with the compression knee sock I wear most of the time now. I like the fit so much I bought a second pair in deep purple called "berry." One caveat: I don't think the soles are going to prove very durable, but we shall see. With a small discount and in sale they were $89 which is not something I would easily pay from a shoe (with the exception of Nikes with air soles but those last for years)

.I was in a mode of treating myself to things in the weeks following my diagnosis. Now I'm back to reining in spending mode. Spending too much on taxis to doctors, which are a necessity. With this condition I don’t dare risk exposure to covid on the subways. Along with the stunning horrible spike in violent crime underground.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Has anyone noticed their iPad getting overly energetic in changing words after recent software updates?  I wouldn’t mind if the auto correct helped, but it often changes the words to wrongs one.  I repeatedly see one of my posts that has words cut off, misspellings……I’m about to turn off the auto.  

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
On 6/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, WhatAmIWatching said:

I used to wear the heck out of Birks until the nerve issues put the kibosh on it. I've kept them just in case I can wear them again someday. Podiatrists can do custom Birks or other shoes. Depending on medical foot issues, insurance will pay for most of it, or all of it. (I used to medical assist at a pod office and did the foot casts and ordering for the custom shoes.)

Thank you for the new-to-me shoe brands! I've heard of Vionic but haven't explored.

Gramto6:

I've been trolling the internet, and simply cannot find those! I've found similar, but not exact. I just did a contact us text to Ugg to see if they can help and tell us the style name and what year they were made. (Not sure if they will, but thought it was worth a try)

I have a few pairs of Vionic sandals and I really like them.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Does anybody know what the rainbow emoji  🌈 on here means? I’m confused 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

If you mean the rainbow striped crcle, it apparently means happy. You can rest your mouse cursor next to the symbol to see what it means. Makes no sense any more than the others do.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

If you mean the rainbow striped crcle, it apparently means happy. You can rest your mouse cursor next to the symbol to see what it means. Makes no sense any more than the others do.

4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

When I hover it says Thanks. Makes no more sense...

Yes I meant the rainbow circle, I’m on an iPad so i don’t have a mouse to hover, but thanks for the explanations.

• Love 3

Oops. you are correct @Gramto6.

And thanks makes even less sense.  At least "rainbows and unicorns" used to mean happy.   Maybe that's where I got it.

1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

I don't know why we need all these new emojis...

I would give you an "agree" emoji but, alas, there is none.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

While the rainbow might not always represent gay pride, I did laugh recently when my mom, who is very challenged when it comes to LGBTQ rights, was ecstatic as she boasted to many friends and family members that she had made a Rainbow cake for my young niece’s birthday!  🤣 Additionally, I had purchased party decor that just happened to have rainbows on them.  Lol. I brought it to her attention after the festivities were over.   I really enjoyed it. Lol  Sadly, my oldest niece who is engaged to her girlfriend was not in attendance, since they are not accepted by some family members.😔 

• Sad 10
23 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

This reminds me of a funny story.  I know a lady from Norway who now lives in the US.  She grew up in a town with a port where a lot of cruise ships would dock, and she would see a lot of US tourists.  When she first came to the US, she was shocked to find out that all American women did not have blue hair.  Since almost all the tourist ladies on the cruise ship had a blue rinse, she honestly thought that that is what all American women looked like.

I chuckled out loud when I read your story, Calico.  Thanks so much for sharing.  😃

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 5
On 6/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, Cetacean said:

So we won't be needing it for anything related to the Sister Wives

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8
On 6/5/2022 at 12:02 AM, deirdra said:

So we won't be needing it for anything related to the Sister Wives

So my eyes haven’t adjusted for reading quite yet this morning, and I read that as “Sinister Wives”. 

• LOL 7
(edited)

I’ve decided to reduce costs by preparing meatless meals a couple of nights per week.  I guess I’ll use beans as a substitute.  I like bean burgers, veggie chili and veggie casseroles.  I’m not wild about using protein shakes, though I could try it.  At dinner time I want a meal, not a beverage.  No Plexus please! Lol

I just read that Target is starting some super sales on their overstocked inventory.  I’ll check that out.  I try to get a good deal.  

I haven’t noticed any lag in shopping when I have ventured out to shop.  The parking lots are packed and checkout lines are ridiculously long.  The concert venues are packed too.  The only thing I have seen so far is big decline with was food and beverage sales at the concerts.  There were no lines and I saw only a couple of people with a beer or food item.  Years ago, a lot of people drank beer at shows. I assume it’s due to the alcohol being so pricey.  I got one beer at one show, which was an extra large, for $13.99.  Or, maybe it’s the crowd at the shows. Talk about mellow!  

Everyone I know are taking vacations, traveling, eating out, as if they have no money woes.  I’m considering a long beach weekend. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

I live in an area where the businesses need to make money to last the year during the summer months.  I haven't noticed a significant drop in visitors.......yet.  We had a big arts and crafts show (done annually) with 160 vendors and most said they did about the same this year as last year and the crowds were very steady for the two days.

Now if the gas prices stay high, that will change.  We are "Up North" in Michigan on Lake Huron and a hugely popular area with our state park booked up for the entire summer.  But there are a lot fewer tent campers now, everyone pulls the big trailers or drives the enormous motorhomes that get 10 miles to the gallon so we'll see what happens if this drags on.

Makes me so happy that when my car was murdered by a deer last autumn I was able to find the hybrid that I wanted.  In the summer I get about 44 miles to a gallon so only need to gas up every few weeks unless I am traveling downstate for any reason.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Everyone I know are taking vacations, traveling, eating out, as if they have no money woes.  I’m considering a long beach weekend. 

Same here.  I'm looking for something cheap to do, possibly not going very far.  I think I might have found a small house rental at a lake about 2 hours from me.  With a pool.  I doubt I will even do any sightseeing, taking a book I started last year but haven't finished.  Just stop at a Walmart and get some cold groceries, bring the rest from home.  Maybe 3-4 days, depending on the price.  Can't really afford to take a real vacation.

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

It’s too hot to go back to The Keys right now, but I would love that kind of relaxation.  I might take up my neighbor’s invitation to go kayaking and just do a staycation at the country house.  Of course, the beach is just a couple of hours away.  I’m trying to keep it simple.  

I have another concert next week.  I’m very excited!  Robert Plant and Alison Krause!   It’s supposed to be 90+ degrees that day!  😅 Only for Robert!  

• Like 5
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Same here.  I'm looking for something cheap to do, possibly not going very far.  I think I might have found a small house rental at a lake about 2 hours from me.  With a pool.  I doubt I will even do any sightseeing, taking a book I started last year but haven't finished.  Just stop at a Walmart and get some cold groceries, bring the rest from home.  Maybe 3-4 days, depending on the price.  Can't really afford to take a real vacation.

I can’t believe people can afford actual, real vacations right now. I’m frustrated paying for gas to get to work, and the LIRR train doesn’t come by when I need it to. This is compounded by the fact we can’t afford a hybrid to help save on fuel, and I know others are in the same boat.  We don’t eat out, go anywhere or do much. Luckily the beach is only 4 miles down the road for a getaway. How is anyone affording to drive anywhere?  I’m even cancelling dr appointments that suck gas! If I can’t bundle my appointments, I don’t go. 

Meanwhile, I see RVs and campers everywhere. I’m dumbfounded. 

• Hugs 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

How is anyone affording to drive anywhere?

And the airlines have jacked up prices to an incredible level to "make back what we lost" in spite of receiving billions in Covid money.  For a 90 minute flight to see my sister it went from $350 to $1100!  I drove the 600 miles at Christmas but that's a long drive for me to do alone.

Hotels have done the same thing, raising prices and adding all kinds of add ons like resort taxes and amenities charges to take advantage of people wanting to finally have the freedom travel.  It's insane.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I’ve become more mindful about driving. . I work remotely when possible.  I haven’t noticed any difference in traffic anywhere that I’ve gone.  The roads are packed all over….anytime…..any day.    And, a lot of crazy driving.  I’m fortunate that I don’t have family members who live far away.  Six hundred miles is quite a trip.  I can’t image doing that alone.  

I just ordered an electric lawn mower.  I figured I could save money on the lawn care cost doing it myself.  We’ll see how that goes.  🥴

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just ordered an electric lawn mower.  I figured I could save money on the lawn care cost doing it myself.

I have a battery powered one that I love (no cords to run over) but it's heavy so I definitely needed the self propelled version.  I plan on mowing myself for as long as I am able.  Of course, that could end next week!

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

A rental house with a pool, some books, and some good treats from the store sounds like perfection to me. :)  We will be doing our usual "up north" trip in July to a condo on the beach.  I bring books, I head to wineries for wine, I float in the water, we eat at fun restaurants and drink good craft beer, maybe climb a sand dune.  I can't wait.

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s too hot to go back to The Keys right now, but I would love that kind of relaxation.  I might take up my neighbor’s invitation to go kayaking and just do a staycation at the country house.  Of course, the beach is just a couple of hours away.  I’m trying to keep it simple.  

I have another concert next week.  I’m very excited!  Robert Plant and Alison Krause!   It’s supposed to be 90+ degrees that day!  😅 Only for Robert!  

Ooh, I have questions:

We are (very tentatively) thinking about trying Key Largo in late January - just someplace new to us, where it will be warm but not miserable on our pasty January skin, where we can just chill at eat and look at pretty sunsets.  Have I chosen a good location?

And concerts.....I'm looking forward to New Kids on the Block next week. :)  My last concert was also NKOTB back in 2019.  I'm a little nervous about remembering how to act in the wild.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I can’t believe people can afford actual, real vacations right now. I’m frustrated paying for gas to get to work, and the LIRR train doesn’t come by when I need it to. This is compounded by the fact we can’t afford a hybrid to help save on fuel, and I know others are in the same boat.  We don’t eat out, go anywhere or do much. Luckily the beach is only 4 miles down the road for a getaway. How is anyone affording to drive anywhere?  I’m even cancelling dr appointments that suck gas! If I can’t bundle my appointments, I don’t go. 

Meanwhile, I see RVs and campers everywhere. I’m dumbfounded. 

We are retired, and are for the most part, homebodies.  I would absolutely love it, living that close to the beach.  I'm a definite Pisces water person.

I can't believe anyone's able to drive a huge RV with gas over 5 bucks a gallon.  I also bundle appointments and errands to save on gas.  I live within walking distance to an ATM and a drugstore, which helps me get out and get some fresh air, and sun most days.

We don't eat out, either.  Once in a blue moon, we get takeout or order in pizza.  That's crazy expensive, too.  Everything is, now.  It seems like grocery prices go up every single week.  We're lucky to live in an agricultural city with abundant produce.

We're still driving our 2001 pickup and 2007 hatchback.  I haven't priced hybrids lately, and I'll probably be shocked at the cost when the time comes to get a newer vehicle.  We did just get a new hybrid mattress, and it was over a thousand dollars.  Some even cost over 4 or 5 grand, for a gosh darn mattress, that's insane!  But we do need our beauty sleep!  🙃

• Love 8

Has anyone tried "cooling sheets" I guess they are made with a blend of bamboo and viscose?  I am looking for something like that for the hot summer months, some of the ones I have seen online range in price from 50-200 and I would rather stay on the lower end of price due to having to shell out more for gas and groceries

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Has anyone tried "cooling sheets" I guess they are made with a blend of bamboo and viscose?  I am looking for something like that for the hot summer months, some of the ones I have seen online range in price from 50-200 and I would rather stay on the lower end of price due to having to shell out more for gas and groceries

The only experience I have had was with a "cooling" mattress pad.  It was the hottest thing I had ever had on my bed.   Just awful.  I stick with 100% cotton.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I have a cooling pillow. You can feel it for maybe 1-2 minutes. Very disappointed.

I bought a bamboo pillow, and it's not particularly cooling, either.  It sounded better than it is, in actuality.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I'm heading out to Colorado in about a week to put "boots on the ground" to check out some towns a little more closely than I can in an 18-wheeler. We love Walmart, but we're not gonna be living in their parking lots when we retire. 🤣

I'm taking my pick-um-up truck and meeting my DH there when he rolls up into the area behind me.  It's  gonna be SO NICE to have a vehicle of our own out there for the whole summer!  🥰

We've been planning to move for a few years, now, and been looking for an area to retire in. We're not getting any younger, so here we go.

We LOVE Colorado, and we want to spend our last remaining decades here.  I'm so looking forward to it, and its gonna be a busy, exciting summer. 🏞  Y'all wish me luck that I find a nice place for us.  

• Like 4
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I bought a bamboo pillow, and it's not particularly cooling, either.  It sounded better than it is, in actuality.

Agreed. I bought a bamboo pillow and burned up with it.  Same thing with My Pillow.  Hot, hot, hot.  Since menopause I can't seem to get cool enough.   🤨

• Love 5

My Pillow has a terrible feel, imo.  It was like peanut packing in a pillowcase.  Not for me.  I would have been very upset if I had paid money for it.  I’ve tried all kinds of pillows and am not happy. Still searching, but things advertised as cool….aren’t, imo.  I exchanged my hybrid gel mattress for a regular innerspring for that reason.  I never knew I slept hot, but I do.  Not on an innerspring, though. Why is it so difficult to find a good pillow?  🤨

Cooling sheets sound good, but I have my doubts. Instead,  I always get 100% cotton in a fairly good thread count.  Egyptian cotton is nice and I’m quite happy.  They were still hot on the hybrid gel mattress through.  The mattress not the sheets.  Ollie’s and Big Lots used to have good deals on cooling sheets, but I never tried them.   

I was last in Marathon Key in late January 2020.  Not a care in the world….so relaxing…..covid stories were just getting my attention. But, we focused on the water, sand, and breathtaking scenery.  There’s a wildlife rescue near the resort that ran tours. We had lunch in Key Largo at a cool little diner.  The thing about Marathon Key is that it’s about half way to Key West, if you want to drive down.  From Miami to Key West is a long drive, so we didn’t go all the way to Key West.  If you stay in Key Largo, you save yourself a lot of drive time.  I’m not sure if the views are the same, but to me…..it all looked awesome.   What I liked the most was walking out of our villa door and being right on a very secluded beach only feet from the water in just a few steps.  I’ll try to find some photos.  They had several pools, beach bar, dining room, etc.  I’ll try to find the name of the place.  I would definitely stay there again, but next time I do want to see Key West.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

RE:  pillows.  I bought a "dog bone" pillow on Etsy.  I asked the seller not to stuff it--just send me the cover.  I ripped open a My Pillow and used the stuffing in the dog bone pillow cover, and it works great.  I find the dog bone shape works very well for me and gives me good neck support.  My original dog bone was stuffed with cotton, but I like the My Pillow stuffing in this smaller pillow.  I do not like the regular My Pillow, and I tried their new neck roll and it was not a good size for me.  There are several sellers on Etsy that sell dog bone shaped pillows, but I like being able to control the amount and type of stuffing.  I sure like the shape, though.  The seller left the "stuffing slit" open, and I just stuffed it to the firmness I like and stitched it closed.  The pillow is small enough to easily put in the washing machine or a suitcase.

• Useful 7