Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

On 4/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, Rabbit Hutch said:

We're out in Colorado at the moment and I love being able to breathe.  I love how hot it is during the day and how it cools down at night.

That sounds like my dream place to be!

Oh guys, puppy news! A litter of 7! Three days old today. Our family can’t wait to meet them in about a month’s time!

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, LilyD said:

That sounds like my dream place to be!

Oh guys, puppy news! A litter of 7! Three days old today. Our family can’t wait to meet them in about a month’s time!

Puppiessszzz ❤️ 
my neighbor has a lovable German Shepard who lets me pet him. He is such a sweet boy.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I started really thinking about why I was wasting considerable time on social media when I knew with certainty that if I scrolled long enough, something would come across that upset or angered me.  It was almost like I was testing myself several times a day with how much negativity I could take before someone's post or meme pushed me over the edge.  I really wondered about my own sanity - like, WHY am I doing this to myself?  What am I gaining?  Do I think I am going to miss something important?

What you've described is elaborated and dramatized in chilling detail in "The Social Dilemma" documentary.  I highly recommend it for all.  https://www.thesocialdilemma.com/

• Useful 11
15 hours ago, laurakaye said:

After unfollowing/unfriending about 75% of my family on FB, I am rarely on there anymore.  The decision to unfriend close family members caused me so much stress, it was ridiculous.  They may have differing opinions than me on many things that have happened in the last few years or so...the difference was, I didn't post anything deliberately provocative on my FB page, and when I would read those types of posts from my family I thought that I could either respond and get into a stupid war of words, or I can ignore it - but by doing that I felt like I was somehow condoning the trash that they were posting.  So I slowly started unfriending, and then I started really thinking about why I was wasting considerable time on social media when I knew with certainty that if I scrolled long enough, something would come across that upset or angered me.  It was almost like I was testing myself several times a day with how much negativity I could take before someone's post or meme pushed me over the edge.  I really wondered about my own sanity - like, WHY am I doing this to myself?  What am I gaining?  Do I think I am going to miss something important?

So I am never on Twitter (should just deactivate my account), rarely on FB, and on TikTok once in awhile.  I also haven't watched the news in probably two years.  I feel like I am at a point where protecting my brain from overload is more important than anything else.

Also - is anyone else feeling a version of mild PTSD from the events of the last couple of years?  I find myself angry, or sad, or my fuse is much shorter than normal, off and on over the course of a normal day.  Could be my age, lol (56), but I am starting to wonder if we've been collectively holding our breath and now we're starting to relax and process, not just try to survive?  I don't know.

I’m the opposite, for whatever reason. I’ve found myself being more patient and trying to be more kind, even though covid lockdowns cost me my job and created significant hardship (at least I didn’t die from it). 

• Love 7
(edited)

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Happy Friday all. And an early Happy Mother’s Day to all of you!!!🥰💐🌞🥂

I just wanted to give a shout out for Mattress Firm!  They are tops imo.  As you recall, I ordered my mattress from them  online last year.  It was delayed a little, but finally arrived in Jan. It was a great mattress, but too soft. I got a Euro top.I could have lived with it, but I wanted to be completely happy.  So, I utilized their 120 day trial period and went in today and selected a replacement.  The local rep was awesome!  Totally professional, helped me find exactly what I wanted and it’s arriving on Monday!  I’m thrilled!  I will definitely take all my business back to that location and hopefully that rep!  As I was leaving, other customers were coming in and asking for him.  It sounded like they were ready to make their purchase.  It’s so rare that I get outstanding customer service that I don’t know how to react. 😃

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Latest on Cameo pricing.

Kody: $99

Meri: $60

Christine $40

Janelle: $35

Mykelti: $10

Paedon: $10

Anyone surprised that Kody and Meri top this list with Christine and Janelle at a huge distance? I guess those prices match their inflated egos?

• Love 7
On 5/4/2022 at 2:12 AM, Irate Panda said:

I’ve been reading articles about the benefits of taking a break from social media. I’m not really on there much to post, unless it’s to comment on dogs’ SM pages, but I wonder if I waste too much time on it.  It’s mostly reading about corny reality “stars” but I could get my fix of the Brown clowns 🤡 on here lol.  Has anybody here given up social media (I’m counting things like Twitter, IG, Facebook, TikTok) and if so do you think it improved your daily life?

It's worth it! I ran a fb group for 4 years, I had to give it up, it was stressful. I also take regular breaks from SM. In downtime I do things that I enjoy and SM took away all that time I had to spend on me. I feel more calm and happier now I have found a good balance. 

• Love 11

It’s not social media that drives me mad as I am perfectly able to ignore my facebook alerts for as long as I like.

But I hate, really HATE whatsapp groups! Take the school whatsapp groups for my kids’ school for instance (every single grade has one). School asks for someone to assist the teacher on Friday. What comes are 20+ messages saying I would have helped if I had time or sorry I can’t, I’m working.
Jezus….that wasn’t the question😡. They asked if you could help. Not if you can’t!  Or people who post useless information that then gets replied to a dozen times and worst of all; 2 people starting their own private conversation within the group whatsapp…..

Anyway, I’m the current moderator of the grade 1 group and I started the school year with a few basic rules:

• reply in private when it doesn’t concern the group
  • post relevant information
  • no need to apologise if you can’t help. Only reply when you can.
  • Only reply  if you can help or when the request is not clear

Turns out everybody loves the rules and we’ve had an amazing and brilliantly functioning group whatsapp! Guess that’s a first for me!

• Love 12

How did Meri think a young rich guy would want her?

Marc Anthony is 53 and is engaged to a 23 year old

Leo DiCaprio is 50 and is always with a 23-24 year old

Ryan Seacrest is 47 and is with a 24 year old 

Middle age men prefer young women not a Meri!

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

How did Meri think a young rich guy would want her?

The same illogical thought process that led her to believe that polygamy was an ideal marriage situation.  It may work for some, but clearly Meri is not cut out for it.  

The same irrational thinking that causes her to believe that if she hangs around long enough, Kody will come to his senses and restore her to her rightful place.  If not his Queen Bee, at least Second Banana to Robyn.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Men who are not deaf, dumb, and blind of any age would prefer anyone but Meri.

Any man who’s seen the way she manipulates when she is challenged (WALLS) would run for the hills. Meri shuts down any communication that calls her out or disagrees with her. That’s not relationship material.

Another red flag is her filtering all the time. That’s a catfish trait because she obviously DOES NOT look like her filtered photos, as evidenced by unfiltered ones from her latest event.

Shes also obsessed with her status in her business. She seems to  think it makes her look savvy when it actually makes her appear predatory, out of touch and narcissistic. 

• Love 8

I ordered 10 bananas from Instacart at 79 cents each. The shopper brought 10 bunches of 5 bananas each! LOL and I only got charged $12.95 instead of the $8 it would have cost for 10.

If I had time and the right sort of pan I guess I'd be making banana bread!

Either that or sending suggestive pix to my imaginary knight in shining armor.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

I ordered 10 bananas from Instacart at 79 cents each. The shopper brought 10 bunches of 5 bananas each! LOL and I only got charged $12.95 instead of the $8 it would have cost for 10.

I haven't tried it but I think bananas can be frozen for use at a later date.  Frozen bananas could be thawed and used in banana puddings, cakes, pancakes, smoothies.  Meri may be able to come up with a recipe for banana Rice Krispie Treats.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I haven't tried it but I think bananas can be frozen for use at a later date.  Frozen bananas could be thawed and used in banana puddings, cakes, pancakes, smoothies.  Meri may be able to come up with a recipe for banana Rice Krispie Treats.

Yes, they can be frozen! Great for smoothies I freeze them all the time. I also stir them into yogurt and mash them.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

That happened to me with Shipt. I wanted 5 bananas and got 5 bunches and they were BIG bunches.  I only had to pay for 5 bananas. I was going around my apartment complex asking everyone if they wanted bananas.  It's only me and while I like bananas I do not like banana bread.  They taste different to me after they are cooked. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yes, they can be frozen! Great for smoothies I freeze them all the time. I also stir them into yogurt and mash them.

These are great ideas! (tried to quote Sandy too), I wish I had room for 40 bananas in my small freezer!

• Love 8

@Rabbit Hutch you mentioned your husband is a long distance trucker; do you go on the road with him? Every run? I'm just curious; my stepdad was a trucker and was gone for 2 days a couple times a week. Mom never went with him; she stayed home with the three of us. I think she joined him for a couple runs here and there but found it not to her liking. I bet you see lots of interesting things--and a looooot of long boring highways. I always felt so bad for truckers and delivery people trying to deliver in cities.

• Love 6
(edited)

@Monagatuna,

Unless there's pressing business at home, I go on every run.  Oops, I tell a lie. Since I have aurithis and I'm terrified of slipping on ice, in 2020 I finally surrendered to staying home for around 6 weeks in winter so that it's easier on DH.  It's worked out  well, as we also take vacations, then.

For us, a typical run is 4 weeks.  During the summer they are 8-12 weeks. We can stay out as long as we want, but the longest run for us was 12 weeks.  Before 2020, we were gone around 11 months a year.  However, that's small potatoes for some cowboy truckers, who are out for a year or more.  They usually have a story to tell with that, though. 🤥

I love trucking with all my heart. After grad school I could've pulled down some good coin in corporate America, but this is in my blood.  As they say, "A bad day of trucking beats the best day working in a double-wide in some company's cube-farm." 

There's something about running over the same migration trails and (eventually) trade routes of those they came before us, such as the native Americans, the explorers and the fur traders, the pioneers and the gold rushers, and the Pony Express. 

As we drive over portions of the Oregon trail, the Lewis and Clark routes, Buffalo Bill's old stomping grounds, and the gold rush shortcuts, I believe we are a part of that great chain, and that makes me happy.  To be sure, truckers too will go the way of Pony Express, when automated trucks take to the road sometime in the near future.  But for now, those trade routes still belong to us and we're gonna get after it.  😍

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
21 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

It's only me and while I like bananas I do not like banana bread

You and me both.  I only eat yellow bananas with a few freckles.  I like them ready to eat.  Not green, but not ripe either.  I can eat them in a banana pudding as long as I eat it within a few hours of making it.  Otherwise the bananas get mushy and lumpy. To me they smell almost rotten in banana bread.  My parents used to make homemade banana ice cream, couldn't deal with the lumps in the ice cream, it would make me gag.  Don't like them in smoothies either.  

I think it is a texture issue that I probably had as a child, which parents really didn't know anything about back then.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

You and me both.  I only eat yellow bananas with a few freckles.  I like them ready to eat.  Not green, but not ripe either.  I can eat them in a banana pudding as long as I eat it within a few hours of making it.  Otherwise the bananas get mushy and lumpy. To me they smell almost rotten in banana bread.  My parents used to make homemade banana ice cream, couldn't deal with the lumps in the ice cream, it would make me gag.  Don't like them in smoothies either.  

I think it is a texture issue that I probably had as a child, which parents really didn't know anything about back then.  

Yes , people have thought I was odd liking bananas but not banana bread. They say " It tastes just like bananas " and I think no, no it does not.  I like banana pudding but have not had any for years because I cannot make a small amount. Also because I want my mothers banana pudding and she did hers the old fashioned way..made tge pudding from scratch, used lots of bananas and topped it with meringue. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

For decades, I had this notion that I loathed bananas fo this exact reason: the texture. From a certain point in childhood, I refused to eat them. Finally when I was maybe around 40 I decided to try one. Turns out I really like them after all! I was missing out. 

• Love 9

It's true that texture matters a lot to kids. They also "eat and taste with their eyes". Food that looks appealing or made into an artwork will easier be accepted than food that doesn't look nice.

Sticking fruit or vegetables on a skewer or arrange them in a pattern on a plate often works miracles. Some kids like different dishes to be separated as they hate peas that mix with the potatoes or meat for instance. My son called it a "messy plate".

When I know that my kids hate the texture of something, I usually try a different way of preparing the food. My oldest hates boiled carrots and cooked peppers but loves them raw. Fine, whatever. I'll wash them and she can have them raw.

• Love 5
(edited)

When I was a kid, I was accustomed to eating my bananas cut in rounds, not lengthwise.  Banana sandwiches used to be popular in the south with fresh white bread and Duke’s mayo.  I recalled having a meltdown once when my mom cut the banana the wrong way! Lol. I’m not usually picky, but was about that.  😝

Has anyone around here had any problem deleting your notifications?  I suddenly don’t have that option.  Never mind. It’s fixed. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When I was a kid, I was accustomed to eating my bananas cut in rounds, not lengthwise.  Banana sandwiches used to be popular in the south with fresh white bread and Duke’s mayo.  I recalled having a meltdown once when my mom cut the banana the wrong way! Lol. I’m not usually picky, but was about that.  😝

Has anyone around here had any problem deleting your notifications?  I suddenly don’t have that option.  Never mind. It’s fixed. 

My mom used to teach in Sunday school to 4-5 year olds.  She would always have a snack toward the end of class.  Usually it was animal crackers.  She had to make sure none were broken.  Some kids would flat out cry if part of the cookie was missing. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Kids can be funny when it comes to food and seem te be able to notice the smallest trace of an ingredient or when something is "off" or different.

Interesting argument this weekend between hubby and our three young kids: Dad decided to actively interfere with the grocery shopping in an attempt to cut the bill. So he came home with a few different  and cheaper brands for cornflakes, sausages and a cheap fake Nutella spread. The kids wouldn't have it... And while this does sound a bit spoiled and picky, I have to admit they were right when it came to the sausages (absolutely disgusting). And the fake Nutella had an interesting flavour...not sure what it was but it didn't really taste like chocolate. No one noticed the change in cereals though! (His mission failed btw as I already am a very conscious shopper and love offers!)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

My packages keep getting stolen. I’m so upset ! People have no shame. I will ask someone if I can send my things there. If they say no I don’t know what to do. It’s items I needed and the thieves have no use for them! 

23 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

My packages keep getting stolen. I’m so upset ! People have no shame. I will ask someone if I can send my things there. If they say no I don’t know what to do. It’s items I needed and the thieves have no use for them! 

Can  you afford a post office box?  Can you get to one if you can afford it?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Can  you afford a post office box?  Can you get to one if you can afford it?

I have a box at the UPS store, and they accept  and hold my packages.  There are many "mail store" places that offer the same services.  It is a pain to have to go out of your way just to keep people from stealing, but I have found the cost for a mail store, USP store or a generic one, is well worth it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have a box at the UPS store, and they accept  and hold my packages.  There are many "mail store" places that offer the same services.  It is a pain to have to go out of your way just to keep people from stealing, but I have found the cost for a mail store, USP store or a generic one, is well worth it.

I forgot about that. Seems in a big city there would be options 

• Love 5
(edited)
20 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

My mom used to teach in Sunday school to 4-5 year olds.  She would always have a snack toward the end of class.  Usually it was animal crackers.  She had to make sure none were broken.  Some kids would flat out cry if part of the cookie was missing. 

Ha ha. As a kid the first thing we did with a box of animal crackers was pour them on a plate, eat all of the broken pieces and then in turn each choose our favourite animal until we each had our own pile of unbroken cookies! If the number of unbroken animals was not divisible by the number of kids, we had various ways to deal with the extras.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9

Porch shoppers have no guilt. I have no idea what they would do with something they could never use.

I have had a PO Box for years and years, all my important mail/bills go there. My mailbox is out on the highway and there have been instances of theft from some boxes. I am home all the time and I watch delivery status online. Anything that is coming to the house that will fit in the box, I go as soon as it is delivered and retrieve it. Most things come to my door and I am so rural that a stranger would stand out. I usually greet the driver and get my package.

I am so sorry that you are having this problem @iwantcookies, I hope you can find a solution soon.

• Love 9

Where I used to live, porch pirates would follow behind the delivery truck.  Their cars were being picked up on people's Ring doorbells.  One man identified a car as the one he had sold the previous week, and could give the new owner's name and address.  A particularly inventive porch pirate rented a UHaul pickup and followed the delivery truck.  I wish there was a good solution to this problem.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I order paper towels etc online it’s not convenient to travel to ups. There is none within walking distance. 

I never steal people mail like why am I being picked on?

So sorry this is happening to you. I wish I could hide out near you and bust the thief knees with a baseball bat the second they walk off with your stuff.  They deserve it, stealing like that. They deserve bad things to happen to them. 

• Love 9

iwantcookies, I'm sorry you're dealing with dumb thieves! It's not right and not fair. At our old house, I had to make every delivery a signature required one, otherwise it was a 50/50 gamble if I'd beat thieves. Is that a possibility for you?

I really wanted to do a glitter bomb trap, or a cat poo one, like some of the YouTube videos showed, but I never did. Thankfully, at our current house, we're so rural that no one comes by here, but I'm still hyper-alert from years of conditioning.

We have to send my stepson packages to his in-laws house because he's had so many things stolen.

We'd sent a huge, heavy box of soups that he loves, but can't get there, and someone stole that box! He did find the box down the street, opened and abandoned.

I guess the thieves weren't interested in soup! Haha! They must have thought the weight and size of the box meant it was something really good and expensive. Well, it was! The postage was expensive and the soup is great. Stepson was able to salvage the cans as they, thankfully, didn't damage them once they realized the package wasn't worth taking.

btw: a fun snack for kids (and not kids!) is banana chips and goldfish crackers mixed together. Salty, sweet, cheesy and crunch. The four food groups 😂 

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 10:08 PM, iwantcookies said:

I order paper towels etc online it’s not convenient to travel to ups. There is none within walking distance. 

I never steal people mail like why am I being picked on?

If it’s the same person, I wonder if they would be deterred from stealing, if you put out fake packages…..some empty, some filled with trash, old clothes you no longer want, etc,  If they got several fake packages that they had to take to the trash, maybe they’d get tired of no reward and move on to another neighborhood.  You could wait until the fake packages stop getting picked up to know the coast is clear.  Of course, I’d be hesitant to do that for fear they could become angry and try to retaliate by damaging your property or trying to hurt you.  People are quick to act very bold and violent these days….so, I try to avoid any confrontation.  I wonder if the police could try a sting operation.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

As a follow up the idea of police doing a sting operation to get the package thief….they could plant a real package with something a thief might want to keep on the porch AND place a tracker in the box so they can track where they are, get their address, capture them.  Not sure if they have the resources for something like that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1