Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

I bought a pillow from Amazon back in 2013 when I had my double mastectomy. It is horse shoe shaped allowing you to side sleep w/out putting pressure on your chest. It is not necessarily a "cooling" pillow, but it is the most comfortable pillow I have ever used and I still use it every night. I need to look into getting a replacement soon.

I looked it up in my order history, it is called DMI Body Pillow, Side Sleeper Pillow and Pregnancy Pillow with Contoured Support to Eliminate Neck, Back, Hip, Joint Pain and Sciatica Relief with Removable Washable Cover, Firm, U Shape Neck Pillow. It is wonderful!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1

I like Brooklinen sheets and the Slumbercloud pillow, they usually keep me cool, although my husband is not keen on the pillow 🙁 

Can anyone recommend a good firm/extra firm brand/style mattress?  I have a  Tempurpedic, but I’m not really a fan.  There’s so many choices and right now I’m dealing with an illness, so it’s hard getting around to a lot of stores.  I’d to narrow it down if I can so I can find one store with a few brands/styles I might like to test.  I also like to ask to get real people reviews on quality and how well they hold up.

If it matters, I am 5’5” around 120lbs and my husband is 6’4 around 190-200lbs. He doesn’t care what he sleeps on, so it’s basically up to me, but I want it to be able to give him good support for his weight.  Thanks for any recommendations.

17 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

it is called DMI Body Pillow, Side Sleeper Pillow and Pregnancy Pillow with Contoured Support to Eliminate Neck, Back, Hip, Joint Pain and Sciatica Relief with Removable Washable Cover, Firm, U Shape Neck Pillow. It is wonderful!!

I have that pillow too and it really works!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We went with a hybrid Sealy Posture-pedic firm mattress.  We like it very much.

The Tempurpedic mattresses were much more expensive, but I'm sure they would be worth it to the right customer.  Purple mattresses seem to be highly rated, but again, more expensive.  

We had a foam mattress prior that was OK for our adjustable base, but wow!  It was a BITCH finding fitted sheets that were deep enough, and it was a BITCH to get them on!  Not to mention, Mr. X is a big man, and his side broke down within probably 5 years.  The new Sealy works well with our base, and it's 11 inches thick, which works great for deep pocket fitted queen sheets.

We took a chance and bought online without testing it.  We lucked out there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

2nd the sleep number bed. You can a n adjust the firmness and you can buy one where each side can be adjusted differently so both people in the bed can ha e their desired firmness. I bought mine about 10 years ago and no problem.  I bought the queen, just the mattress and it was 600.00. It was also the basic mattress no duel adjustment and you press a button to adjust the firmness it does no show the number that shows your firmness level. 

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I like Brooklinen sheets and the Slumbercloud pillow, they usually keep me cool, although my husband is not keen on the pillow 🙁 

Can anyone recommend a good firm/extra firm brand/style mattress?  I have a  Tempurpedic, but I’m not really a fan.  There’s so many choices and right now I’m dealing with an illness, so it’s hard getting around to a lot of stores.  I’d to narrow it down if I can so I can find one store with a few brands/styles I might like to test.  I also like to ask to get real people reviews on quality and how well they hold up.

If it matters, I am 5’5” around 120lbs and my husband is 6’4 around 190-200lbs. He doesn’t care what he sleeps on, so it’s basically up to me, but I want it to be able to give him good support for his weight.  Thanks for any recommendations.

I have that pillow too and it really works!

I ordered my first recent mattress online from Mattress Firm.  I really liked it, but it was a  Euro top and it ran hot for me.  I also felt it sunk in too much for me.  I think that comfort is very subjective.  What I find too soft, others may love.  It was a Sealy Summer Rose Hybrid Gel Soft Euro Top. 16 inch. Queen. I got a free adjustable bed with it. They have a 120 day trial period and you  can exchange it for any reason with only a $99.00 restock fee.  I went to a local Mattress firm, explained and they guided me to the one I have now, which is Sealy medium Smart Pressure  innerspring 14 inch.  It’s plenty firm, but doesn’t run hot.  I’m pretty happy and the exchange was super easy.  I give Mattress firm A+ for their customer service.  Delivery was just as they promised.  I would like the tempurpedic type, but it’s not meant to be.  The one I have now is compatible with the adjustable base.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I love my Sleep Number.

Me, too, have had it for at least 25 years.  It was initially expensive but when they recommend replacing mattresses every 7 to 10 years it turned out to be steal.  And even though it's an earlier model without any bells and whistles, no issues at all.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Is anyone around here from Texas?  I’ve recently been on an Elizabeth Taylor movie kick.  One of the movies I watched is called Giant.  Her husband (Rock Hudson), owns a large cattle ranch in TX.  They only show the cattle a couple of times, but the ground is nothing but hard dry earth….thousands of acres …..with some tumble weed.  What would the cattle eat?  Just curious.  Desert terrain really fascinates me.  I’ve been to Arizona once, but not to Flagstaff.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I bought a pillow from Amazon back in 2013 when I had my double mastectomy. It is horse shoe shaped allowing you to side sleep w/out putting pressure on your chest. It is not necessarily a "cooling" pillow, but it is the most comfortable pillow I have ever used and I still use it every night. I need to look into getting a replacement soon.

I looked it up in my order history, it is called DMI Body Pillow, Side Sleeper Pillow and Pregnancy Pillow with Contoured Support to Eliminate Neck, Back, Hip, Joint Pain and Sciatica Relief with Removable Washable Cover, Firm, U Shape Neck Pillow. It is wonderful!!

I might have to try this pillow.  I mostly sleep on my side.  I probably suffer from Sciatica and other issues.  I have spent most of my 40+ years of working on my feet.  With part of that walking between 7-12 miles in a 12 hour shift, depending on how much stuff I had to move.  So my joints sometimes ache.  I also know I need to replace my mattress.  Maybe I could sleep more comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone around here from Texas?  I’ve recently been on an Elizabeth Taylor movie kick.  One of the movies I watched is called Giant.  Her husband (Rock Hudson), owns a large cattle ranch in TX.  They only show the cattle a couple of times, but the ground is nothing but hard dry earth….thousands of acres …..with some tumble weed.  What would the cattle eat?  Just curious.  Desert terrain really fascinates me.  I’ve been to Arizona once, but not to Flagstaff.  

I'm from Texas and that area where the ranch was supposed to be was west of Marfa, Texas, which is high desert.  I thought the same thing.  It's mostly scrub land.  You have to have a lot of acreage to graze them.  Texas has several different geographical areas with different terrains and weather.  I live in the greater DFW area and we border on the central plains and the coastal plains areas.  Sometimes called the Prairies and Lakes area.  So you don't need as much acreage here for raising cattle, because pastures are full of grass, most of the time.

It's a little over 100 out there today in the Marfa area, but gets in the low 60's at night.  

I've been north of Flagstaff and it is also considered high desert, but it wasn't as hot as West Texas gets.  It's a pretty area, but sparse vegetation on the ground unless they get some rain.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been to Dallas/Ft. Worth once for a layover.  I have an old friend in Houston that I sure would like to see.

I generally like the Galveston area, because it gets the gulf breeze.  But just inland in Houston it's like being in a sauna.  I love Houston, but try to avoid it in the worst heat of the summer.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I lived in AZ and there were free range cattle everywhere, often in our land. They eat (and decimate) native grasses, mesquite bean, pretty much any shrub and, if you have unprotected fruit trees, that as well. They go wherever they want unless you have barbed wire fencing.

It was 116 in lower elevation areas yesterday with a low of 90. The cattle often bed down under mesquite trees during the day and graze at dusk/early morning hours until it gets too hot.  I don’t know how they survive it with the heat/sun. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 5
8 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I generally like the Galveston area, because it gets the gulf breeze.  But just inland in Houston it's like being in a sauna.  I love Houston, but try to avoid it in the worst heat of the summer.  

I live just outside of Houston and just stay indoors in the heat...and it is hot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I watched an interesting segment that showed how the invention of air conditioning totally changed the US.  Prior to that time, the big cities were all in the north;  no one wanted to move to the south and try to get through the hot, humid summers.  Then came A/C and many large, booming northern cities began to lose populations who could now escape winter and still get through uncomfortable summers.  Thus the big cities in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Florida, etc were born.

Give me the Great White North any day of the week, A/C or not.

Edited by Cetacean
spelling
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I lived in AZ and there were free range cattle everywhere, often in our land. They eat (and decimate) native grasses, mesquite bean, pretty much any shrub and, if you have unprotected fruit trees, that as well. They go wherever they want unless you have barbed wire fencing.

It was 116 in lower elevation areas yesterday with a low of 90. The cattle often bed down under mesquite trees during the day and graze at dusk/early morning hours until it gets too hot.  I don’t know how they survive it with the heat/sun. 

"But it's a DRY heat."  I'm sure you heard that a lot.

I live east of the Cascades in WA.  It's rarely humid here, which for me is a huge plus.  It does occasionally get to 100+ degrees, and most homes have some type of A/C.  I get my outside chores done early in July/August, and stay indoors after that if it's super hot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

"But it's a DRY heat."  I'm sure you heard that a lot.

I live east of the Cascades in WA.  It's rarely humid here, which for me is a huge plus.  It does occasionally get to 100+ degrees, and most homes have some type of A/C.  I get my outside chores done early in July/August, and stay indoors after that if it's super hot.

Oh. Have I ever. People who say that haven’t done SAR in it for 7 hours. 

Having lived in both humid heat and dry heat, I’ll take humid. At least it feels cool when you move, versus dry heat. You can go 60mph and it’s just a 60mph oven. It’s dehydrating beyond words. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I’m bracing myself for the concert next week.  It’ll be over 90 degrees with a heat index of a hundred.  Our seats are second row and they aren’t covered.  So……full sun.  I intend to wait as late as possible to go to that area.  The other people I’m going with like to settle in early.🥴. That’s just not going to work for me this time.  You’re allowed to take in one bottle of water.  A cold beer will run around $13.00.   So, probably just one of those.  😅

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/31/2022 at 12:48 PM, Gramto6 said:

baj3vqweRVmxXWFY0BB64w_thumb_4f6.thumb.jpg.245015278a2e981581812cdfcac9775d.jpg

Kind of embarrassed at how dirty they are. Like I said they are my trod in the snow shoes. I've worn the fleece off at the heels and they are scuffed but then they are well over 20 yrs old. Still comfy though.

do you happen to be a size 7?

Just spotted these on thredup.com 

DEFEAB90-2454-4504-8B2D-8E54DBAAFD65.jpeg

911B3E07-532C-43DA-B620-B43DE4EB5A2B.jpeg

Edited by Joan of Argh
Pic
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/10/2022 at 6:21 PM, Rabbit Hutch said:

We LOVE Colorado, and we want to spend our last remaining decades here.  I'm so looking forward to it, and its gonna be a busy, exciting summer. 🏞  Y'all wish me luck that I find a nice place for us.  

I have been to Colorado just one time to visit my son last year, and I fell in love with Frisco - it is one of the cutest towns I have ever seen.  My son lives in the Dillon/Silverthorne area, also beautiful.  I can't even imagine waking up every day and knowing you get to go outside in that stunning blue sky and look at those glorious mountains.  I can't wait to go back.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:29 PM, Rabbit Hutch said:

Agreed. I bought a bamboo pillow and burned up with it.  Same thing with My Pillow.  Hot, hot, hot.  Since menopause I can't seem to get cool enough.   🤨

It's been separate bedrooms for hubby and I for the past year or so.  At first I would typically get up in the middle of the night, hot as he$$, and move into my son's old room where I could blast a fan directly on me all night long.  We have evolved into it being a nightly thing now, where I basically have my own room.  At first it was not great, marriage-wise...but I can't even express what a different person I am when I can get a consistently good night's sleep with (now) TWO fans running all night long and the windows cracked open from March until November.  He is cool with it now too...if he can't sleep in the middle of the night, he turns on the tv to fall back asleep whereas I need it pitch dark with only the lovely sounds of my beloved fans, lol.  At some point my sanity started to depend on being able to sleep without kicking the sheets off and on 20 times per night.  I love my little room.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

I live just outside of Houston and just stay indoors in the heat...and it is hot.

I have several friends in the south and when they tell me it's going to be 110 degrees that day, my first thought is, you can't even go outside in that!  Then they tell me, well - do you go outside when it's -10 out?  Same thing!  It's just funny to me that living in the north, I assume that summer always means going outside and for them it means staying in, just like winter for me means staying in if it's bitterly cold.  And just as I know I would surely melt like Meri's Rice Krispie squares in that kind of humidity, they tell me that they would never be able to handle snow and ice.  I find it all so interesting.  Just depends on what you're used to. :)

• Love 12
(edited)

One hundred degrees is predicted for tomorrow in Raleigh/Cary, NC.  I’m seriously considering not going to the concert.  The ticket was over $130.00.  I can barely believe I’m considering it.  Only for Robert Plant would I even consider going in that heat.  I’m actually worried for him.  🤨

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

One hundred degrees is predicted for tomorrow in Raleigh/Cary, NC.  I’m seriously considering not going to the concert.  The ticket was over $130.00.  I can barely believe I’m considering it.  Only for Robert Plant would I even consider going in that heat.  I’m actually worried for him.  🤨

How about a couple of hand held battery operated fans?  If it's an indoor venue, it will probably be air-conditioned.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

How about a couple of hand held battery operated fans?  If it's an indoor venue, it will probably be air-conditioned.

It’s an outdoor venue.  The last time I saw Robert outside was at this same place and it was 100 degrees that day too!  It’s crazy!  It’s only June.  I do have a battery operated fan that has a water container on the bottom.  I’m taking that. I have to be careful to not get my insulin pump wet, though.  Which is another problem I just thought of.  My insulin isn’t supposed to get that hot.  Oh my….the heat is turning out to be more of a problem than I thought at first.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, laurakaye said:

I have been to Colorado just one time to visit my son last year, and I fell in love with Frisco - it is one of the cutest towns I have ever seen.  My son lives in the Dillon/Silverthorne area, also beautiful.  I can't even imagine waking up every day and knowing you get to go outside in that stunning blue sky and look at those glorious mountains.  I can't wait to go back.

It's been separate bedrooms for hubby and I for the past year or so.  At first I would typically get up in the middle of the night, hot as he$$, and move into my son's old room where I could blast a fan directly on me all night long.  We have evolved into it being a nightly thing now, where I basically have my own room.  At first it was not great, marriage-wise...but I can't even express what a different person I am when I can get a consistently good night's sleep with (now) TWO fans running all night long and the windows cracked open from March until November.  He is cool with it now too...if he can't sleep in the middle of the night, he turns on the tv to fall back asleep whereas I need it pitch dark with only the lovely sounds of my beloved fans, lol.  At some point my sanity started to depend on being able to sleep without kicking the sheets off and on 20 times per night.  I love my little room.

I have several friends in the south and when they tell me it's going to be 110 degrees that day, my first thought is, you can't even go outside in that!  Then they tell me, well - do you go outside when it's -10 out?  Same thing!  It's just funny to me that living in the north, I assume that summer always means going outside and for them it means staying in, just like winter for me means staying in if it's bitterly cold.  And just as I know I would surely melt like Meri's Rice Krispie squares in that kind of humidity, they tell me that they would never be able to handle snow and ice.  I find it all so interesting.  Just depends on what you're used to. :)

Agreed.  I've been to both of those charming towns and your son is lucky in getting to live in that area.  I too would love to live a little deeper in the Rockies, but for now we got to stay closer to as many trade routes as possible, otherwise I'd be asking him to scootch over.  😉

Hmm, I never though about a second bedroom to house my hot flashes.  My poor DH freezes cause I like to sleep in the cold.  Its a constant bone of contention on the truck in the winter months, cause I love sleeping with the vents open.  Well, I also do that for security purposes, like to hear what's going on round my diesel tanks, if you get my drift.

Having a bed with fans blowing constantly sounds like my kind of heaven.  Either that or an igloo.  😛

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

In the 12.5 years I  have owned my house the bedroom ceiling fan only gets turned off to clean it, I am surprised that the motor hasn't fried up yet. In the summer months I add a floor fan to circulate the AC better, sadly my bedroom is the only room in the house that seems to stay warmer than the other rooms. In the winter, my heat clicks on only when it goes under 62..so like @Rabbit Hutch I prefer it like a ice box

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

In the 12.5 years I  have owned my house the bedroom ceiling fan only gets turned off to clean it, I am surprised that the motor hasn't fried up yet. In the summer months I add a floor fan to circulate the AC better, sadly my bedroom is the only room in the house that seems to stay warmer than the other rooms. In the winter, my heat clicks on only when it goes under 62..so like @Rabbit Hutch I prefer it like a ice box

Oh my goodness I’d die. If it’s under 70, the heat comes on. On the other hand, I haven’t even used AC yet this summer and it’s hit the 90s already. It cools off just enough at night to have a fan in the window and nothing more. During the day, I can handle the 80s in the house as long as the air is moving.  

• Love 6

The discussion on temperatures and where to live put a smile to my face just yet. We’re currently in Dubai for a short holiday and talking about hot and extreme heat… WOW!

It was 107F today but it felt like 113F. There was a soft wind, won’t call it breeze as my hair dryer probably feels colder! Add to that a high humidity…. At 10pm it was still a humid 100F!

Apart from the heat, Dubai is absolutely amazing! Anything seems possible here and you get to sniff some of the beautiful Arabic culture within a rather relaxed Western atmosphere. I highly recomend it! In Nov-April😜

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

In the winter, my heat clicks on only when it goes under 62..so like @Rabbit Hutch I prefer it like a ice box

I'm a cool weather person as well.  I, too, have a box fan as an adjunct to the A/C at night.  Altbough, while my thermostat is set to 55 at night, I do like it about 65 in the daytime in the winter.

Anything over 72 is a heat danger zone to me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Good news!  The heat didn’t reach the expected levels yesterday!  It was still close to 90F, but it stayed cloudy and that helped. It was still very hot, but doable. 😁. It was a sold out show and the only no shows were the six people with seats behind me!  Great, because no one was breathing over my shoulder.  It was definitely a different kind of show from Robert’s previous shows. I had not seen him with Krauss before.  I have some great pics, but I’m not sure of the legality of posting them.  Here’s an artIcle about it with some great pics too.  

https://www.heraldsun.com/entertainment/article262507997.html

Yaaay!  Just saw this posted from the show last night!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Every time I think the pandemic is over, something happens.  I went into the office to work for the first time in 2+ years.  The next day I find out I spent the day in close proximity to two people with Covid.  So now I am quarantined.

Right now I know more than a half dozen people with Covid, and even though they are vaccinated it is kicking their butts.

The pandemic fatigue is real.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 11
3 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Every time I think the pandemic is over, something happens.  I went into the office to work for the first time in 2+ years.  The next day I find out I spent the day in close proximity to two people with Covid.  So now I am quarantined.

Right now I know more than a half dozen people with Covid, and even thought they are vaccinated it is kicking their butts.

The pandemic fatigue is real.

That’s terrible.  I had someone in my office who tested positive last week.  I was never around them though.  They had not been in to the office.  It is a very real thing.  I’m going to test myself on Saturday, just to confirm I’m ok.  I could have been exposed at the concert.  It was outside, but still……I always wear a mask into any building I go, except home and one friend’s house.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I always wear a mask into any building I go, except home and one friend’s house.  

Me, too. It was in the mid 90's today and not fun to be wearing a mask but I sucked it up and wore it anyway in and out of stores.  I was just about the only one. 

Long Covid is a real thing.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Just like habitual laxatives tend to make one's intestines not work as well, or so I have read?  That makes sense.  

I bought a box of Ayd"s (you probably don't recall that "diet candy" unless you are a relic from the 60's, like me 🙃)  I think it was a weight loss scam that didn't work.  It did nothing for me, as a teen that needed to lose 20 lbs.  The only thing that worked was the same old, eat less and move more.  I remember Metrecal, too.  Liquid diets are not satisfying.  

The stuff my brain remembers!  

About 5 years ago a friend of mine was going on and on about Almased and all the weight she was losing, she had no appetite etc, it was a breeze to lose weight... so I tried it and I was amazed how well it worked.... I was dropping lbs and inches like crazy for a few weeks...... but then my body got used to it plus I got sick of drinking it so I quit and wound up dropping the remaining 5-8 lbs eating sensibly and walking more.

It actually worked really well but like any of those drinks eventually I tire of them.

Almased is a yogurt/soy/honey powder you add to skim milk and I liked the flavor but I can't imagine drinking that *pink soda pop* looking Plexus crap for an extended period!  yuck! 🤮

almased.jpg

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 4
(edited)

Went to Trader Joe’s. Wow prices are way up! $80 bought me 2 bags of goodies. They were not even heavy bags.

I went for the ube and cheesecake ice cream. Worth the trip! 

Wonder if there is a TJ where Jenelle lives?

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

No. TJ's in the whole state of MT. I get what I can from Amazon, but no fresh/frozen things available. No Whole "Paycheck" Foods here either.

Miss both since I moved from CA years ago...but I'd never go back even though family is there.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Went to Trader Joe’s. Wow prices are way up! $80 bought me 2 bags of goodies. They were not even heavy bags.

I went for the ube and cheesecake ice cream. Worth the trip! 

Wonder if there is a TJ where Jenelle lives?

Yeah stuff is way up cost wise. Vegan burger patties cost less than the beef ones do (love me some Impossible burgers)!  We could easily eat cheaply by going with beans as a staple, but haven’t gotten to that point yet.

I miss the old days when my we had a ridiculously large garden and never had to go to the store for vegetables. in the summer we’d can/pickle/freeze the excess and eat from that all winter. It was hard work and time consuming, but I miss it. I want that again and, like everyone else, resent the high cost of everything these days. 

I want to retire on a few acres in the northern Midwest, tend to a garden, forage for berries and nuts, preserve food, enjoy nature and just be left alone. That’s my dream. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

All the potato talk in the Meri section makes me want potatoes. 

I rarely eat potatoes in  any form. Now I’m craving 

tiny potatoes drizzled in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper baked until cooked.  Mmmm 😋…maybe some chicken on the side or a beet salad… 

too bad I don’t have any of those ingredients.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Catching up here -

We were thinking of going down to Washington, DC this year but have changed that to the less than 2 hour trip to Boston because of the gas prices and general inflation.  That's OK because I haven't really been to Boston proper in several years.  We've been to other places in MA just not the city.

I have always wanted a Sleep Number bed and was actually thinking about getting one but now that's shelved too because of inflation.

A close friend of ours got Covid a few weeks ago despite being vaxed and double boosted.  He is 62 and very high risk with asthma and COPD plus obesity.  It kicked his butt and we were very worried about him but he recovered completely, thankfully.  Interestingly his wife got it but was asymptomatic and his 20 year old daughter never got it.  They got it helping his wife's mother home from the hospital after a stroke.  Figures.  He had been successful at avoiding Covid all this time and then because there were no other family members to help her, he gets it.

The Northeast is currently in a mysterious little weather bubble that has spared us from the crazy high heat so far, but we're all wondering when that's going to end.  Today highs won't even get to 70!

I bought a cooling memory foam pillow at Costco a few years back and it's very good.  Doesn't get hot at all.  It's the Novaform, but just looking at it on Costco right now it seems like it's changed since then and reviews are reporting that it's not as good as it once was.  Oh well.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Catching up here -

We were thinking of going down to Washington, DC this year but have changed that to the less than 2 hour trip to Boston because of the gas prices and general inflation.  That's OK because I haven't really been to Boston proper in several years.  We've been to other places in MA just not the city.

I have always wanted a Sleep Number bed and was actually thinking about getting one but now that's shelved too because of inflation.

A close friend of ours got Covid a few weeks ago despite being vaxed and double boosted.  He is 62 and very high risk with asthma and COPD plus obesity.  It kicked his butt and we were very worried about him but he recovered completely, thankfully.  Interestingly his wife got it but was asymptomatic and his 20 year old daughter never got it.  They got it helping his wife's mother home from the hospital after a stroke.  Figures.  He had been successful at avoiding Covid all this time and then because there were no other family members to help her, he gets it.

The Northeast is currently in a mysterious little weather bubble that has spared us from the crazy high heat so far, but we're all wondering when that's going to end.  Today highs won't even get to 70!

I bought a cooling memory foam pillow at Costco a few years back and it's very good.  Doesn't get hot at all.  It's the Novaform, but just looking at it on Costco right now it seems like it's changed since then and reviews are reporting that it's not as good as it once was.  Oh well.  

I may try that pillow anyway.  Opinions on items like that can be so subjective.  

We had a scorcher today in NC.  It was still 90 when I started my yard work after 5:30 p.m.  Still, I was anxious to try out my new battery powered lawn mower.  I cleared away as many sticks and pine cones as possible and put on my gear, hat, safety glasses, etc.  🤣. The battery mower is awesome!  I love it!  It’s easy to handle and very quiet.  It’ll take some practice, but I’ll get efficient with it.  I got about 2/3 of the front yard and 90% of one side. I’m exhausted, but pretty pleased with the result. I haven’t been on a riding mower in over 20 years and have never used a push mower before! Lol This is an excellent way to get exercise!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was struggling with starting my old gas mower…been hard since having a major stroke 3 years ago.   My adult son saw how hard it was for me and he and my sweet 6 year old grandson surprised me with an electric mower.     I have a Very small frontyard and my back is mostly several large raised gardens, a green house and an outdoor kitchen.  I love the new mower.   One Issue…it is very quiet…and I ran over and chopped up a snake 😱.   First time I used it!  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 7

That’s pretty wild!  Well, I guess it was so fast, the snake didn’t suffer.🥴  I ran across some frogs, but they stayed safe.  I stopped the mower and nudged them away.  Lol

Talking about prices…..today, I discovered that Family Dollar charged me $1.25 for a Cashier fee.  😳 And they don’t have self check out as an option.  I didn’t see any Notice about it. I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t checked the receipt.  

• Mind Blown 10