Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

Jon Snow has cracked the top 10 in Slate's Virtual Graveyard.

The standings as of today are:

Ned                                        257,221

Rob                                        203,640

Oberyn                                  193,566

Khal Drogo                            162,905

Catelyn                                  160,390

Lady                                       150,048

Ygritte                                     137,862

Grey Wind                              127,484

Jon Snow                                108,877

Talisa                                         96,010

Go, Jon, go?

So all dead Starks, including the direwolves, are in the top 10 now?

Actually, it's kind of interesting that almost all of the top 10 are either Starks, or are closely connected to a Stark. Speaks to both their bad fortune and their popularity.

• Love 2
(edited)

So all dead Starks, including the direwolves, are in the top 10 now?

Actually, it's kind of interesting that almost all of the top 10 are either Starks, or are closely connected to a Stark. Speaks to both their bad fortune and their popularity.

It is interesting.  Not that we can say that something like that is scientific, but I think, in general, the Starks are very popular with book readers and unsullied.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2

I stand firm on shaky legs that Jon Snow is not dead DEAD and that he will be back as Jon Something.  I found this.  Hope lives on.

Sooooo......both Kit Harrington and Carice van Houton (Melissandre) have signed up for Brimstone, which is filming is Spain....which also happens to be a confirmed GOT Season 6 location.......things that make you go hmmmmmmm........

• Love 3

I stand firm on shaky legs that Jon Snow is not dead DEAD and that he will be back as Jon Something.  I found this.  Hope lives on.

That's some coincidence there.  They basically have a set up that KH can be filmed for GoT season 6 in a limited capacity with another actor from the show (the one most likely to resurrect the dead) without any definitive spoilers.  Convenient.  It also doesn't seem like a huge production and I imagine that they'd jump at the chance for becoming 'news' when its revealed they facilitated a GoT 'shocker'.

That Brimstone movie has begun filming now - when do they start filming the next season of GOT?

July, probably. But Carice is also in this movie so his casting doesn't mean much imo.

• Love 2
(edited)

Richard and Michelle were there after s3, and Rose Leslie and Pedro Pascal last year. I think it makes a lot less sense for Kit not to attend if he's dunzo for good.

You're right, I forgot that! Which makes the news even better. :)

Apparently, Vanity Fair agrees with all of us: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/jon-snow-alive-game-of-thrones-comic-con

The article lists "5 reasons why Jon Snow will probably return to Game Of Thrones".

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 3

Apparently, Vanity Fair agrees with all of us: http://www.vanityfai...rones-comic-con

The article lists "5 reasons why Jon Snow will probably return to Game Of Thrones".

Thanks for the article!!  If you scan down on that link you can see another link to a good article regarding Jon Snow and S6.

Got to love the picture of JS/KH as a L'oreal hair model.

• Love 3

http://www.ibtimes.com/author-george-rr-martin-addresses-reports-he-has-finished-winds-winter-1996443

Author George RR Martin Addresses Reports That He Has Finished 'The Winds Of Winter'

“Game of Thrones” creator George RR Martin has addressed reports that he has finished writing “The Winds of Winter.” The book is the sixth installment of the book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” upon which the hit HBO series is based. Last week, new director Jack Bender made waves when he declared that he had seen an advance copy of the novel’s manuscript.

“Never believe rumors. I've said that a thousand times,” said Martin. He replied when user mcsubbaiyen asked him if it was true that he had finished the book. The question was asked in Martin’s personal Live Journal blog page. “Did you really finish writing 'Son of Kong'? We need an official response to these ongoing rumors,” read the question. “Son of Kong” is the nickname that Martin has given the forthcoming novel. ...

• Love 1

Ok, he has finished writing the book (kudos to everybody here who already predicted that the book was ready). But what about the release date? They are definitively not the same.

Maybe it doesn't mean a thing, but Kit Harington attended Wimbledon and he still has Jon Snow's haircut: https://www.google.it/search?q=kit+harington+wimbledon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=B9mbVcv0F8vOygPc15bQCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=697#tbm=isch&q=kit+harington+wimbledon+2015

• Love 2

Ok, he has finished writing the book (kudos to everybody here who already predicted that the book was ready). But what about the release date? They are definitively not the same.

I'm not a book reader but spoiled myself on all the major events years ago (Ned's beheading, the Red Wedding, Daenarys riding Drogon, Jon's stabbing), but if GRRM manages to release book 6 before season 6, I will absolutely buy it & read it on the day it's released. Not knowing what happens next is driving me crazy. Gods, please let there be a release date announced soon.

He really is a hottie /end shallow outburst

Yes. Yes he is. :-)

• Love 5

I'm not a book reader but spoiled myself on all the major events years ago (Ned's beheading, the Red Wedding, Daenarys riding Drogon, Jon's stabbing), but if GRRM manages to release book 6 before season 6, I will absolutely buy it & read it on the day it's released. Not knowing what happens next is driving me crazy. Gods, please let there be a release date announced soon.

Me neither, and you're absolutely right! I'm sure I won't wait for season 6 to be aired if book 6 comes out first. I'll search for spoilers at the very least. :D

That said, realistically, I still doubt it: I have no idea how big the next book will be, but as far as I know (can book readers confirm, please?) all books are big, therefore I guess proof-reading/corrections/possible re-writings will require quite some time. Hopefully, though, not a full year. Fingers crossed! :)

With our luck, WoW will be ready right about the time season six starts. If GRRM's publisher was smart they'd do whatever they could to get it released a week or two before the start of season six if they wanted to maximize the book's rise up the sales charts as that would be when anticipation to know what will happen next will be at its peak.

• Love 3

Where are people getting the impression that he's finished? I'm super skeptical that it's just in the editing phase now. 

(edited)

Where are people getting the impression that he's finished? I'm super skeptical that it's just in the editing phase now. 

According to this article, from a recent Reddit conversation with Jack Bender (slated to direct two episodes next season)

Upcoming Game of Thrones director Jack Bender’s recent Reddit AMA has raised further questions about just how complete George RR Martin’s latest book The Winds of Winter really is.

Asked by one user is he was “able to read an advance copy of Book 6 of Game of Thrones to prepare for directing next season’s episodes?” Bender, under the alias MrJackBender, replied: “Yes”.

Well, let´s hope this editing phase lasts long enough because the last two books have made it absolutely clear that GRRM really, really needs good editing.

I agree he needs editing, but he won't allow for any.  In a regular situation, a publishing house has much more influence, but since Martin is so popular and his books sell so much, he's got all the power in the writer-publisher relationship.  Basically, if he wants to leave his current publisher, a new publisher would gladly pay for any fees for wanting to get out of a publishing contract so that they'd get the rights to publish Martin's books.

So, the current publishing house allows Martin a wide, wide margin.  His last editor suggested he use the phrase "words are wind" less, and George refused.  Guess who won that battle?

If the book is truly finished, then I'd expect editing will be a relatively fast process:

EDITOR:  I think you should cut out some of the food descriptions in this chapter

MARTIN: No

EDITOR: Okay (please don't break your contract, please, please, please!)

Edited by WearyTraveler

Everything could of course change, but they announced at the beginning of the year that we wouldn't get the book in 2015.  I would think ideally, they would get it out in January or February if they can.  That would give them plenty of time to amp up sales and get people excited for season six.  No matter what, I just want to know if Jon is getting resurrected asap lol.

(edited)

The fantastic people at Flicks and the City recorded the entire Game of Thrones panel at the 2015 San Diego Comic Con:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJS5bDJUUdw

Gwendoline Christie also took part in the Star Wars:  The Force Awakens panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMx670jOnw

Edited to add:  Ms. Christie also took part in Entertainment Weekly magazine's "Women Who Kick Ass" panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJv9ifzVh-U

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 3
(edited)

Kristian Nairn appeared on this week's episode of King of the Nerds (UK version, not the US version) along with Paul Inglis (GOT art director) as guest judges for a castle building competition. The winners got to hang out with Kristian and Paul afterward.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

HBO says Game of Thrones will be at least eight seasons.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/30/game-thrones-eight-seasons

Yay!! I've been worrying that there are so many things that need to be resolved that S7 would be a rushed mess. I just hope that D&D don't look at the extra season as an excuse to keep dragging out some of the stories (ie, Dany heading for Westeros). But I guess that is more GRRM's fault than theirs. Also aren't the principal actors signed only through S7? Although at the rate characters get killed off, it's possible only a few of them will be needed for S8 and beyond.

• Love 1

Yeah but doesn't doing 8 seasons (or more, it sounds like HBO would be receptive to continue if the show runners are game) depend on Martin getting off his ass?

How many more books was Martin going to write?

Isn't Season 6 going to be the start of covering territory that's not in any of the already-published books?

With this new I'm definitely out.  Not a fan of where things have been going and I'm pretty much ready for endgame at this point.  3+ more seasons especially with how boring this show has gotten means there's no reason to continue.  Plus the fact that it's 3 maybe more does not fill me with any hope here.  I thought it was a good thing when the show runners had a clear set goal, i.e. finish no matter what in 7 seasons.  But now with possibly more than 8 who knows especially if some of the actors decide not to renew their contracts.

The show already had huge pacing issues, more so leaning towards not much actually happening (or nothing of merit).  Stretching things out more is not something I'd be looking forward to.

Depends how they do the eight seasons.  Some show do split seasons, allowing them to keep the actors under contract.  Basically, it's one long season split in two.  Breaking Bad did that.

Depends how they do the eight seasons.  Some show do split seasons, allowing them to keep the actors under contract.  Basically, it's one long season split in two.  Breaking Bad did that.

I don't think that's really possible for this show.  The only reason to do those is, as you say, to avoid contract renegotiation, but HBO clearly doesn't care about that, since they'd like to go even beyond eight.  Split seasons would bust the show's production schedule, so doing separate seasons on the normal schedule is preferable.

I'd be surprised if D&D were able to wrap the story up in just 20 episodes. There are too many things that need to be resolved before you can allow the story to move towards the endgame and most of them will probably take most if not all of season six. So unless you're going to pack both the transitioning parts and the endgame itself in just ten to twelve episodes, which I don't think is a good idea, you'll need at the very least a split season seven if you don't want to rush it. Given the amount of CGI you probably have to do for whatever it is the show ends with (it will have to feature WW and dragons a lot more than it has until now), I can see how you could shoot the scenes with the actors all in one swoop and then use the extra time to do the extensive post for the second part afterwards. Or you could just do two regular seasons seven and eight. Either way, 20 episodes doesn't sound like a realistic time frame.

Also keep in mind that D&D always said it was their goal to finish in seven seasons, not that they will do so no matter what. Given that they now have access to the bulk of the next book, they could've realized this is no longer possible.

Well I have know doubt that HBO is thrilled, they've always wanted more seasons.    And with ratings climbing and the show being nominated for more awards then EVER, I bet they had an office party.   I'm also willing to bet that the show STILL finishes long before GRRM get's to the final book.   

But at least now they can let some storylines breathe since they don't have to do as big a sprint to the finish line.

• Love 1

I am hoping that D&D will commit to reaching the endgame of GRRM's plan by the end of season eight and then if HBO wants more - they can negotiate with the actors who play living characters and go beyond what he told them was his plan.  Like basically if he is planning an epilogue and HBO wants a season nine - then they can write season nine based on the contents of the epilogue.  But I really want to see them move toward resolution with Dany (ie rather or not she is going to take the Iron Throne) and the pending problem with the White Walkers by season eight.  I just don't know how long I can believe this menacing force is on the other side of that wall threatening all of existence without it coming to crescendo.