Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

This isn't really news about Game of Thrones, but an Oklahoma politician accused his primary opponent of being a lookalike who murdered the real Congressman to impersonate him. Esquire's GoT man analyzed this accusation by comparing it to the Faceless Men, minor spoilers for the likely book location of the man formerly known as Jaqen H'ghar.

Fascinating, this guy sounds like he might have a real life instance of capgras delusion, or a variation of. I've read about it but never seen a real example.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Didn't see an awards thread, but the show had wracked up some Emmy nominations again this year.  Best Drama, Best Writing for David and Dan, Best Director for Neil Marshall, both Peter Dinklage and Diana Rigg are nominated again, and a great surprise, Lena Headey got nominated for Best Supporting Actress!  I'm glad Lena finally got some love.  Obviously, we'll have to see if anyone can even win, but I'm glad it's continuing to get some recognition.

• Love 1

I saw that Gold Derby was shocked that Lena got a nomination over Emilia Clarke.

I like Emilia Clarke, but really? Both Lena and Emilia were relatively supporting this season, they both had a few wobbles, and Emilia did a great job in "The Children," but I think Lena was better throughout the season. Her work in "First of His Name" was one of the stronger parts of this season for me.

• Love 1

I'm surprised because the Emmys usually get stuck on an actor or show to nominate, and ignore everything else. Emilia had been the token GOT actress nominee since the series began, even though other actresses on the show have been outperforming her for years.  It's nice someone else got some notice.

Headey deserved the nomination more but Clarke could have gotten it, like she did last year, because she's the face of the show and the closest thing GOT has to a female lead. Ellen Burstyn once got an Emmy nom for 14 seconds of screentime: name recognition helps.

I don't know if Pascal was submitted by HBO, but I'd guess not since he was an unknown and not a Dame like Rigg.

I was glad to see Lena and Diana get nominations, but I wish Charles Dance had received a nomination as well.

Honestly I'm not surprised Emilia wasn't nominated. The writing for Dany this season really felt lazy. Her kicking Jorah out should have been this big emotional scene, but it came off very "meh."

But in general I think GoT gets shafted on the acting front.

• Love 1

I think Emilia is one of the weakest actors (at least of the major characters), and this season the writing did her no favors. But she also didn't do much more than make smug or solemn faces and over-enunciate each word. She doesn't play Dany with any layers anymore.

• Love 3

Panel for Comic-Con this year: besides George and David/Dan, Kit Harrington, Rose Leslie and Nikolji Coster-Waldau will be back, but we've actually got a bunch of SDCC newbies this time: Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Gwendoline Christie, Natalie Dormer, Rory McCann, and Pedro Pascal!  Looks like it could be pretty cool.

• Love 2

I don't know if Pascal was submitted by HBO, but I'd guess not since he was an unknown and not a Dame like Rigg.

He was, but lack of name recognition probably played against him with the voters. I think Alfie was submitted for s2 and know Nikolaj was for s3, but they probably had the same issue, as well as supporting actor just being a strong category. Lena is the closest the show has to a main castmember with a pre-GoT established name, so it's not too surprising they finally threw a nom her way too. Her reaction at the Purple Wedding was a bit underwhelming, but I do think this was her strongest season.

Hopefully Comic-Con should give us some casting news.

(edited)

Cersei had about 41% more screentime than Dany this season, if a count on ASOIAF is accurate. Last season Dany had 35% more than Cersei. So that makes sense.

Pedro Pascal was the show's only Guest Actor submission, but he wasn't good enough for a nom (YMMV). The # of acting noms so far seems about right, even if I would swap out who got them with, say, Sophie Turner.

Emilia had been the token GOT actress nominee since the series began

Except she wasn't nominated for S1. Or S2.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

I'm glad Lena is nominated as I've always appreciated how subtle and understated she is. It's encouraging to me that she's nominated for this season because it puts people on notice that she's been bringing it, so next season gives her real meat to the point where if everything falls together the way it could/should that an actual win seems totally plausible to me.

ETA

Super bummed that Charles Dance will never be recognized for his excellent work on this show. A genius bit of casting that was.

Edited by Avaleigh

Today. 8:33 am

Is the newest season never released in time for the holiday season?

HBO releases the most recent season of all their shows about a month before the next season of the show in question premieres.  It's about getting potential subscribers excited enough to get HBO for the new season.

(edited)

Lots of interviews with cast members (Kristian Nairn, Daniel Portman, Will Tudor, Finn Jones) at the recent LFCC. Not really big spoilers but there are some in Finn's interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS5C4dC1Vc3EzgeDO-Wu3Mg

https://www.youtube.com/user/flicksandthecity/videos

The panel video featured Jones, Nairn, Ellie Kendrick, Gethin Anthony, the guy who played Meryn Trant, and Sibel Kikelhi.

Edited by Pete Martell

Looks like they aired a Season 4 Blooper Reel, at Comic-Con.  It includes the big dance number from Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, at Tyrion's trial.  But my favorite might be Emilia Clarke's bit. It would be hilarious if Daenerys just started randomly talking in that accent next season.

• Love 2

Maisie Williams and Natalie Dormer participated in Entertainment Weekly magazine's "Women Who Kick Ass" panel at the 2014 San Diego Comic Con:

Gwendoline Christie participated in TV Guide magazine's "TV Guide Fan Favorites" panel at the 2014 San Diego Comic Con:

• Love 1

Analysis of violence, rape, and nudity in Game of Thrones

VIDEO: HBO Executive Defends Game of Thrones http://bit.ly/1tzYT7f

President of programming at HBO, Michael Lombardo, told The Guardian:

I don’t think [graphic scenes] have ever been without any purpose. Dan [Weiss] and Dave [benioff] are two very sober, thoughtful men.

We have certainly not given them an edict or a note that they need to tone down the sexual content in the show.

Did Game of Thrones take violence, rape, and nudity a bit too far? Watch the clips and decide for yourself!

The following people from Game of Thrones have done the Ice Bucket Challenge: Lena Headey, Kit Harrington, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Pedro Pascal, Maisie Williams, Sibel Kekilli, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Sophie Turner, and Natalie Dormer

Interesting article on Cracked.com. It's not really spoilery, as it talk about things that already happened in the show, but it might cause people to scrutinize the show even further now that they know. (as if we needed a reason).

If you are not up to date with the tv series the article is spoilery.

Edited by SilverStormm
Clarified spoiler status of article.
  • Love 1

Season 5 Premiere Date Announced:

HBO has confirmed that the new season of GAME OF THRONES begins its ten-episode fifth season SUNDAY, APRIL 12 (9:00-10:00 p.m.). Based on the popular book series “A Song of Ice and Fire,” by George R.R. Martin, this hit Emmy®-winning fantasy series chronicles an epic struggle for power in a vast and violent kingdom. The ensemble cast for the fourth season included Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kit Harington, Natalie Dormer, Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner. Executive producers, David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger, Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin.