Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

Game of Thrones spin-off series in the works, HBO confirms

HBO has confirmed that a team of writers and Game of Thrones creator George RR Martin are working on ideas for spin-off shows that could see the fantasy show’s reign as the king of prestige TV continue for years.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/may/04/game-of-thrones-spinoff-series-hbo

I can't help but wonder if this will affect the release of the remaining books in the series

1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/may/04/game-of-thrones-spinoff-series-hbo

I can't help but wonder if this will affect the release of the remaining books in the series

At this point, I am pretty sure that we are never getting those books. Not even TWoW. He does not know how to take his story to it's conclusion. George has moved on. We will have to be satisfied with the ending the show gives us.

As for the spin-offs, I would like to see the Dance of Dragons, but it would be so CGI heavy that I am not sure if HBO will go for it. Aegon's conquest would be expensive as well and Robert's rebellion would require lots of battles. Dunk and Egg would be the cheapest series, but I am not that big a fan.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, anamika said:

At this point, I am pretty sure that we are never getting those books. Not even TWoW. He does not know how to take his story to it's conclusion. George has moved on. We will have to be satisfied with the ending the show gives us.

I think that we will get the last books, but only because Martin's publishers will eventually tire of waiting for him and will hire a ghost writer to consult with him and complete them. There is just too much money to make for them to Martin stall indefinitely.

I hope that HBO produces a sequel and not a prequel. I would prefer to jump ahead to the next generation of Targaryens, Starks, and Lannisters.

Edited by SimoneS
15 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I think that we will get the last books, but only because Martin's publishers will eventually tire of waiting for him and will hire a ghost writer to consult with him and complete them. There is just too much money to make for them to Martin stall indefinitely.

I hope that HBO produces a sequel and not a prequel. I would prefer to jump ahead to the next generation of Targaryens, Starks, and Lannisters.

If GRRM says there will be no one else writing his story, then no one else is going to. Especially while he's still alive - and he already said that he'll make sure it won't happen after his death either.
Of course I don't know anything about his contract (Could he just up and go, taking his toys with him, if he wanted to?), but if nothing has happened by now, when the show is about to spoil all the important stuff, I doubt anything will change in the future.

I used to think that we'd get TWOW, but not the one after - which I'm half sure wouldn't even be the last one tbh - but by now, I'm doubting even that one. Better to not expect anything and be pleasantly surprised I guess.

As to the possible spin offs: I wonder how many people are actually watching for Westeros vs. the characters and their fight for the throne + dragons. I mean, I don't doubt that many people enjoy the world building, locations and costumes, but a show really needs characters the audience can invest in and that could possibly be the hardest part.

(edited)
13 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

My bet is that the story is set 100 years after Jon defeats the Night King (no spoilers, that's just what I think will happen) with the Lannisters trying to regain the power they once held. 

The Lannisport Lannisters are likely to be around in 100 years, but my sense is that Tywin's line will be long extinguished: I expect Jaime, Cersei and Tyrion will die without issue. I'd be very interested to see what Westeros is like in 100 years, but I doubt GRRM would be interested in that kind of spinoff (since he probably has his own very specific ideas on Westeros canon post-ASOIAF and is likely keeping them for himself, as is his right).

The other issue is that the Lannisters by themselves aren't all that interesting: Kevan's a yes-man, Lancel's a drip, etc. It's Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei that made the Lannisters so compelling, and they would be absent from any 100 years on sequel.

Edited by Eyes High
(edited)
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

The Lannisport Lannisters are likely to be around in 100 years, but my sense is that Tywin's line will be long extinguished: I expect Jaime, Cersei and Tyrion will die without issue. I'd be very interested to see what Westeros is like in 100 years, but I doubt GRRM would be interested in that kind of spinoff (since he probably has his own very specific ideas on Westeros canon post-ASOIAF and is likely keeping them for himself, as is his right).

The other issue is that the Lannisters by themselves aren't all that interesting: Kevan's a yes-man, Lancel's a drip, etc. It's Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei that made the Lannisters so compelling, and they would be absent from any 100 years on sequel.

With all the whoring Tyrion has done, there are bound to be Lannisport Lannisters around for a long time.  Plus, I have a feeling Tyrion will be the one Lannister that will survive the long night.  Martin identifies with him, and I think his writing is always pointing out all the "good" things Tyrion has done for other people.  He went through a serious slump and petty time, but, at the end of the last book he is fighting against slavers, freeing Jorah and doing nice things for Penny.  He's in an upward arc, just as the series supposedly starts to wrap up (two books left, right?)

Obviously, whether Tyrion survives this saga is immaterial 100 years into the future when all the Lannisters we know will be dead.  But that's (again, obviously) not what I meant.  What I'm saying is that they will use the archetypes established in GoT to shape a story in the future.  Martin likes his worldbuilding but if they go to the past, they will be limited by Martin's own "historical" facts.  If they decide to do Robert's Rebellion, for example, there are many things that they would be forced to do since those things will become the facts that set up the story we are currently watching.

If HBO is smart, they'll want a series where they can invent the history as they go along, adjusting to any circumstance that may come, such as, the popularity of one character, current issues, actors being unavailable, etc.  Actually, I think the reason they might be working on two spinoffs is probably that Martin wanted to do the past and HBO wanted to do the future.

Circling back to the possibility of a story set in the future, we can see one of two things:

1) the archetypes established in GoT will carry forward - ambitious Lannisters like Tywin, and Cersei will act the way current Lannisters do; good, honorable Starks will fight them; Targs on the verge of fire obsession and insanity will play along

2) the archetypes are completely reversed - good Lannisters, evil Starks; Targs remain they same lottery they have always been, some mad some sane, but all fire hungry

Edited by WearyTraveler
3 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

With all the whoring Tyrion has done, there are bound to be Lannisport Lannisters around for a long time.  Plus, I have a feeling Tyrion will be the one Lannister that will survive the long night.  Martin identifies with him

Even if Tyrion survives and lives to a ripe old age, he is unlikely to father any legitimate children, unless he gets back together with Sansa (very unlikely) or remarries (also very unlikely). Nor do I think it's surprising with all his whoring that he has no bastards that we know of, since I'm guessing the whores are extra careful to make sure they don't get impregnated by a dwarf. The Lannisport Lannisters are separate and apart from Tywin's line. I'm guessing GRRM will extinguish Tywin's line, as karmic payback given Tywin's obsession with legacy. That doesn't mean Tyrion will die young, just that he won't father any legitimate children.

Also, GRRM does identify with Tyrion, which is another reason why Tyrion is unlikely to have any children of his own, since GRRM does not. Proto-Tyrions in previous GRRM works were never fathers, either.

3 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

1) the archetypes established in GoT will carry forward - ambitious Lannisters like Tywin, and Cersei will act the way current Lannisters do; good, honorable Starks will fight them; Targs on the verge of fire obsession and insanity will play along

I dunno. While Targs are prone to insanity, there's no suggestion that Lannisters are genetically prone to being ruthlessly ambitious--Jaime, Kevan and Lancel weren't--or that Starks are genetically noble and honourable (Sansa certainly isn't). I don't see why 100 years on, the Lannister and Stark descendants (if any) would be acting the same way as GOT Starks and Lannisters supposedly do, particularly when there are Starks and Lannisters in the current series who don't seem to be particularly honourable or particularly ambitious (respectively).

Given that it'll be taking place just as the season is starting up this year, I'm a little surprised that they're not getting more of the big guns to show up for Comic Con.

Here's who is attending: castmembers Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos Seaworth), Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark), Conleth Hill (Varys) and Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark). Executive producers and showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss will not be in attendance. The panel will be moderated by a "special guest from Westeros," according to the cabler.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:35 PM, Eyes High said:

George RR Martin has signed on to be the executive producer for HBO's adaptation of Nnedi Okorafor's novel Who Fears Death.

George needs to sit down and finish the damn books already. It's been six years since the last book. 

• Love 2

Ed Sheeran has quit Twitter, and everyone is speculating that it's because of the insults he received from trolls over his GoT appearance.  So congrats, a-hole trolls...  Why can't people just leave the poor guy alone?

• Love 2

HBO has confirmed that they were hacked, with about 1.5 terabytes of data were stolen, and data has already allegedly been leaked online. Among the stolen information is believed to be the script for 7x04. No word yet on whether or not the hackers were able to get unaired GOT episodes for Season 7.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Leslie Jones & Seth Myers watch GoT S7.E4 (bonus: Conleth Hill appearance):

OMG, that was hilarious. Leslie Jones is so funny. I think my favorite bits were that Bran is high, it wasn't a black family reunion, the white walkers were blue eyed devils i.e. white folks, her reaction to Conleth Hill showing up, her mimicking Drogo spraying fire at the Lannisters, and even the horses are like "I'm getting the fuck of here." I liked Seth Meyers getting into Drogon attacking the Lannisters.

Edited by SimoneS
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

@ElectricBoogaloo I hadn't see that one. Thanks for posting  LOL! Leslie sure loves dragons and penises. Her reaction to battle of the bastards and Jon beating down Ramsay was hysterical. But her mimicking the dog attacking Ramsay is right up there with her dragon impersonation.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, SimoneS said:

OMG, that was hilarious. Leslie Jones is so funny. I think my favorite bits were that Bran is high, it wasn't a black family reunion, the white walkers were blue eyed devils i.e. white folks, her reaction to Conleth Hill showing up, her mimicking Drogo spraying fire at the Lannisters, and even the horses are like "I'm getting the fuck of here." I liked Seth Meyers getting into Drogon attacking the Lannisters.

I love how Conleth Hill plays along and answers all her questions as Varys, though Varys with an Irish accent is a bit disconcerting. Also, Sansa and Arya's re-imagined reunion was hilarious.

ETA - the Battle of the Bastards one is so hilarious, I've watched it so many times. I have so many favourites, her calling the music playing when Jon is stuck under the pile of people "that dying music", her glee at Sansa's 'lemonade smile', who she'd have sex with (the Blackfish: yes; muddy Jon Snow: sure, but not on the bed. She has nice sheets. Grey Worm? He doesn't have a penis!). Last one, I promise - singing Ramsay's come-uppance "I fucked up . . . I should have been so much nicer . . . to people . . . "

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 5

I can't remember now where I read it this weekend, but one of the production guys on the "Spoils of War" episode said he's even prouder of the next episode. I can't imagine how they're going to top last week, but if they do, this will be another Sunday night where I'm going to be too full of adrenaline to sleep after the show is over.

• Love 1