Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

Damn, just when I thought I couldn't love her more, she's a Boss on the dance floor as well.

They should have given Lyanna Mormont some Valerian steel or dragon glass tipped boots and she could have taken out everybody.

• Love 3
(edited)

https://www.theringer.com/binge-mode/2019/5/9/18549172/game-of-thrones-s8e4-the-last-of-the-starks

I really love this recap/podcast so I thought I would post it.

Very minor book info.

I especially love them talking about Dany, and also about the show runners just skipping over the reveal of Jon's parents to his siblings/cousins, and the showrunners deciding to cut away, from a scene which has been the core of this story for so long, and we get....nothing.

We don't even get to hear Jon tell them.

ETA

Their discussion of Dany is wonderful.  That said, pretty sure they've read spoilers, and that may be influencing their discussion a bit.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

There’s a series on YouTube that I really like called Lost In Adaptation, which compares movies and the like to their source materials. 

He has a sub-series about comparing each episode of season 1 to the chapters they were adapted from. 

Only season 1, though. The last episode has more information about the format change. 

• Love 1

There is a ton of good media out there about this episode, print especially.

I ended up listening to podcasts and videos today while getting some stuff done.

This is one of the best I've heard.  No shouting, no crap, thoughtful analysis and a bit of debate.  Early on the discuss Dany quite a bit, and incredibly well.

• Love 1
On 5/10/2019 at 3:26 AM, Umbelina said:

I've really enjoyed The Ringer's coverage of the show. Mallory Rubin's distress over the fates of the direwolves and dragons is endearing, and her co-host Jason Concepcion is equally delightful. Most importantly, they really know their stuff. I don't know what The Ringer's going once the show ends since like 30% of their content seems to be GoT-related.

• Love 1

I didn't know where else to put this (and my apologies if it's been posted already) but Florence did a live version of Jenny of Oldstones that is just *gorgeous*

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Some entitled crybabies who are probably mad because of how Season 8 has invalidated their fanfic have signed a change.org petition to re-do season 8 "with competent writers".  It kind of reminds me who were upset because The Last Jedi didn't match their wants and desires.

I love those crybabies. If you are fine with writers of shows bating and switching fine but some of us don't like to be tricked. However, it just wouldn't be the same for me anymore. I am just done with the show and the characters. You can't unsee this pathetic writing. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Some entitled crybabies who are probably mad because of how Season 8 has invalidated their fanfic have signed a change.org petition to re-do season 8 "with competent writers".  It kind of reminds me who were upset because The Last Jedi didn't match their wants and desires.

Hi, everybody, lurker coming out of hiding here...  In a case of "it probably would have died at 300 signatures if people hadn't brought other people's attention to it", the petition has just blown past it's original goal of 150,000 signatures and the signatures are still rolling in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2019 at 3:14 AM, Umbelina said:

There is a ton of good media out there about this episode, print especially.

I ended up listening to podcasts and videos today while getting some stuff done.

This is one of the best I've heard.  No shouting, no crap, thoughtful analysis and a bit of debate.  Early on the discuss Dany quite a bit, and incredibly well.

This was a great discussion. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

Hi, everybody, lurker coming out of hiding here...  In a case of "it probably would have died at 300 signatures if people hadn't brought other people's attention to it", the petition has just blown past it's original goal of 150,000 signatures and the signatures are still rolling in.

It’s over 400,000 now. It’s all futile of course but as a way to mark your unhappiness *shrugs* 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Geeze.  Turn the freakin' channel.

Or write your own damn show.   "Entitled crybabies" is spot on.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Nice to hear Jacob Anderson, who plays Grey Worm, talk about the show, thanks for posting that.

I didn't care much for the others on the panel, but it was great listening to him.

4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

From Scientific American:

The Real Reason Fans Hate the Last Season of Game of Thrones

"It's not just bad storytelling—it’s because the storytelling style changed from sociological to psychological"

Love it

!

It’s easy to miss this fundamental narrative lane change and blame the series’ downturn on plain old bad writing by Benioff and Weiss—partly because they are genuinely bad at it. They didn’t just switch the explanatory dynamics of the story, they did a terrible job in the new lane as well.

One could, for example, easily focus on the abundance of plot holes. The dragons, for example seem to switch between comic-book indestructible to vulnerable from one episode to another. And it was hard to keep a straight face when Jaime Lannister ended up on a tiny cove along a vast, vast shoreline at the exact moment the villain Euron Greyjoy swam to that very point from his sinking ship to confront him. How convenient!

For Benioff and Weiss, trying to continue what Game of Thrones had set out to do, tell a compelling sociological story, would be like trying to eat melting ice cream with a fork. Hollywood mostly knows how to tell psychological, individualized stories. They do not have the right tools for sociological stories, nor do they even seem to understand the job.

To understand the narrative lane shift, let’s go back to a key question: Why did so many love Game of Thrones in the first place? What makes it stand out from so many other shows during an era critics call the Second Golden Age of Television because there are so many high-quality productions out there?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Umbelina said:

She was more Stannis than Cersei.

Honestly, there are probably lots of parallels between any character who went for the Iron Throne, excluding maybe Renly.  We didn't get a whole lot from Renly before he was shanked by a shadow baby.

Anyway, I thought that video was interesting.  I love The Take.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Look at how she trashes D&D!

Wow, so Benioff opens with an "Emilia is short" joke.  It just never gets old, to them, does it? 

Edited because my quote didn't copy the link to the video. It's the one being quoted above. And, no, just in case I'm credited with spreading the sarcasm as truth, Emilia gushes about D&D being "ludicrously talented" and thanks them profusely for plucking her from the obscurity of cos-playing at children's birthday parties and giving her her career. 

Edited by Francie