Type keyword(s) to search

Franchise Of Thrones: Possible Spin Offs Speculation, News and Spoilers

• Start Topic

A spin off in the future is dependent on at least a few of the current crop having offspring.  Now that Cersei is over the fertility hill, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of thinking of the future offspring. 

The one voice of a female who was really trying to continue dynasties, didn't matter to her which ones, just so she was involved intimately, was Margaery Tyrell, and she's toast.  I would have added Melisandre, but she's more over the fertility hill than Cersei. 

Samwell....potential....has a woman who can reproduce.  I wonder if Ramsay Bolton damaged Sansa physically.  

I can find some hypotheticals, but I haven't seen much ground work for the future.  It needs to start now, or it will really seem to be greed driven to extend the gravy train for the owners of the franchise begats.

41 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I can find some hypotheticals, but I haven't seen much ground work for the future.  It needs to start now, or it will really seem to be greed driven to extend the gravy train for the owners of the franchise begats.

Even beginning from the premise that spinoffs in the future require descendants of the main cast, I don't think the series itself needs to set this up.  The younger Starks will be 20ish at most by the end, if they survive.  That's 20+ years of fertility still in store for the ladies, and decades more for men, obviously.  Finding out that Arya has great-grandchildren doesn't mean we need to meet the future Mr. Arya in the course of the show.

33 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Even if Tyrion survives and lives to a ripe old age, he is unlikely to father any legitimate children, unless he gets back together with Sansa (very unlikely) or remarries (also very unlikely). Nor do I think it's surprising with all his whoring that he has no bastards that we know of, since I'm guessing the whores are extra careful to make sure they don't get impregnated by a dwarf. The Lannisport Lannisters are separate and apart from Tywin's line. I'm guessing GRRM will extinguish Tywin's line, as karmic payback given Tywin's obsession with legacy. That doesn't mean Tyrion will die young, just that he won't father any legitimate children.

Also, GRRM does identify with Tyrion, which is another reason why Tyrion is unlikely to have any children of his own, since GRRM does not. Proto-Tyrions in previous GRRM works were never fathers, either.

I dunno. While Targs are prone to insanity, there's no suggestion that Lannisters are genetically prone to being ruthlessly ambitious--Jaime, Kevan and Lancel weren't--or that Starks are genetically noble and honourable (Sansa certainly isn't). I don't see why 100 years on, the Lannister and Stark descendants (if any) would be acting the same way as GOT Starks and Lannisters supposedly do, particularly when there are Starks and Lannisters in the current series who don't seem to be particularly honourable or particularly ambitious (respectively).

I don't understand what part of the text or the show indicates that Tyrion wouldn't have any children.  If anything, the facts that the character is convinced no one would love him for who he is, and is obsessed with the idea of his happy, married bliss with Tysha, and convinced he could never attain that again, could actually be an indication that those very things would be his reward at the end of the series.  There's absolutely nothing to indicate he wouldn't re-marry and plenty of time for him to find someone with whom to rebuild House Lannister.

I disagree that Martin identifying with Tyrion means he won't have any children.  I think a lot of the things we see Tyrion do are really Martin just living vicariously through his Mary Sue, and perhaps that is why Tyrion will have children.

As for the Lannisters not being ruthlessly ambitious, perhaps a review of the family history is needed.  They actually are proud that they are descendents of Lann the clever who basically stole Casterly Rock.  They were Kings until the Targs came, and then devoted themselves to influence Kings through their wealth.  One of the reasons Tywin hated his own father so much was because he perceived him to be weak and to have brought House Lannister down.  He ruthlessly fought to bring his house to its former glory.

Bastards can actually become rightful Lords and Ladies and found a House.  Such was the case of the Baratheons, a house formed by a bastard Targaryen named Orys Baratheon, brother to Aegon the Conqueror, who married the daughter of the last Storm King after defeating him.  So, if Tyrion were to have a bastard somewhere, which is possible (perhaps Tysha will resurface at some point bringing with her a youth with mismatched eyes), there's no reason why he couldn't be legitimized and continue the Lannister name.

The Stark honor is something that is drilled into the readers chapter after chapter.  It's what they are famous for all over Westeros.  Ned died for it (had he put his honor aside and sided with Renly, he wouldn't have lost his head), Robb died for it (honor bound to marry the lady he had deflowered), Catelyn's last desperate attempt to save Robb included the words "On my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark..." because the Tully honor didn't carry as much weight as the Stark honor did. 

Off course, not all the members of a family will be the same, but, as a general rule, that's what the story is telling us.

But, more to the point, a spinoff would probably play into these archetypes if it wishes to leverage the popularity of the current story.  If they focused on families we don't know, why would the GoT audience care? They have to relate it to the show we are watching now in some way, otherwise, they may as well create a new medieval fantasy show altogether and try to market that.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, enoughcats said:

A spin off in the future is dependent on at least a few of the current crop having offspring.  

I agree with SeanC that this isn't necessarily the case, unless one assumes that the spinoff must have at its centre the same core families, and while that might be a good idea from a branding perspective, I don't know that that needs to happen. Westeros history is littered with houses that have been extinguished one way or another by the period in which ASOIAF occurs. A spinoff sequel could make up some new houses with all new problems, or zero in on some of the lesser houses that the show has neglected to flesh out (House Blackwood, House Bracken, House Marbrand, etc. etc.)

I wonder if Ramsay Bolton damaged Sansa physically. 

I'm sure he did damage her (Sansa says that he beat her often), but I'm not sure he affected Sansa's fertility. Sansa said that he thought anything that would affect her ability to bear him an heir was off-limits, while everything else was fair game. On the other hand, Ramsay isn't any kind of reproductive expert, so who knows what kind of damage he did?

It needs to start now, or it will really seem to be greed driven to extend the gravy train for the owners of the franchise begats.

GOT was purely greed-driven as well. D&D didn't develop Game of Thrones because they thought it would be a crime against culture for the ASOIAF story to remain untold in visual media. HBO didn't greenlight Game of Thrones out of the spirit of artistic endeavour. They wanted to make money, and they thought GOT was the way to do it.

The spinoff will no more be a money grab than the original series was.

2 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

I don't understand what part of the text or the show indicates that Tyrion wouldn't have any children.

It's practical speculation. Despite many years of whoring, Tyrion has never fathered any bastards that we know of (compared to Robert Baratheon, who has fathered multiple bastards). The practical explanation for this is that prostitutes would likely take special precautions to avoid getting impregnated by Tyrion due to his dwarfism, something that would continue. Therefore, he's unlikely to have any children out of wedlock.

As for having children within marriage, he could get an annulment from Sansa and remarry, but how likely is that? Sansa only married him because she was forced into it, and Book Tyrion is getting more hideous with each passing book (I believe on top of everything else, some of his teeth were knocked out in ADWD by Jorah), not only in appearance but also in personality. They say there's a lid for every pot, but it's getting to be a really fucked-up pot at this point.

If anything, the facts that the character is convinced no one would love him for who he is, and is obsessed with the idea of his happy, married bliss with Tysha, and convinced he could never attain that again, could actually be an indication that those very things would be his reward at the end of the series.

Or his reward could be inner peace and contentment once he learns to suck it up, stop whining that he was denied a life of marital bliss with someone who truly loved him (something which has been denied most nobles in Westeros), and accept the real love in his life--from Pod and others who truly care about him--instead of resenting his situation and chasing after the illusion of love as he did with Shae and other prostitutes. That would represent some real growth for Tyrion; self-pity has always been his biggest problem. If he gets everything he feels he has been unfairly denied laid at his feet at the end of the series, it would be rewarding him for his terrible attitude.

I disagree that Martin identifying with Tyrion means he won't have any children.  I think a lot of the things we see Tyrion do are really Martin just living vicariously through his Mary Sue, and perhaps that is why Tyrion will have children.

GRRM living vicariously through Tyrion, who is humiliated and rejected on a regular basis, who is hideously ugly with a personality to match, who has been disfigured, imprisoned, and even enslaved? I don't think so.

Still, even assuming you're correct, I don't think it will translate into children for Tyrion. There's a proto-Tyrion Lannister in GRRM's earlier novel The Armageddon Rag, who's not a dwarf but who is very ugly. In the wish fulfillment department, this character has a succession of gorgeous wives and is improbably successful with the ladies despite his offputting appearance (somewhat less realistically than Tyrion, whose gorgeous women are paid for their time). No kids, though.

If GRRM does give Tyrion his version of a wish fulfillment ending, which I doubt, I don't think that children will be a part of it. An improbably hot wife, maybe, but kids? Nah.

One of the reasons Tywin hated his own father so much was because he perceived him to be weak and to have brought House Lannister down.  He ruthlessly fought to bring his house to its former glory.

That's my point, though. Tytos wasn't particularly ambitious or ruthless, no more than the other unambitious Lannisters in ASOIAF like Lancel. In fact, he was too nice! There are no inbred Lannister personality traits. 

The Stark honor is something that is drilled into the readers chapter after chapter.  It's what they are famous for all over Westeros.

Ned's famous for his honour, but Westeros history establishes he's something of an outlier when it comes to Starks, even among his own siblings. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't think I ever mentioned inbred character traits.

My point was, and continues to be that any spinoff would have to do more than set the story in the same universe to be successful.  Think about every other spinoff, ever:  

• in the majority of them one or two characters from the successful show spins off to have their own show, they have cameos, visits to the old house/coffee shop/office/city, they may make a recurring character in the original, a regular in the spinoff, and so on.  
  • in procedurals, they keep the same format, the same kind of team and at least one person that pops from one show to the other one.

This is all done in the spirit of maintaining certain continuity and familiarity for the audience that is watching the original show because the point of doing a spinoff is to capture the audience of the original show, not to find a new audience.

I think we all agree that continuing right after this story finishes is not an option.  Whoever is left standing, the actors have probably committed to something else by now, and Martin would most likely object.

So, we are left with the past and the future.  In either scenario, they need to connect the current show audience to something that is familiar to them, or they will lose them.  Just having the story set in Westeros doesn't really work, IMO.  Particularly since the show hasn't really spent any time in doing any world building.  I bet you the average viewer doesn't have a firm grasp of the differences between North and South, and in the South the differences between Dornishmen and Men of the Vale.

The connection must then be the characters, and since we can't have the same characters, we'll have the same families, whether we go to the past or to the future.  And these families will roughly have the same archetype they have now on the show.  I named some traits, but, what I believe it will boil down to is:

Starks = good
Lannisters = evil
Targs = 50/50 (plus dragons)
Every other family will act similar to what we saw on the show, which is basically they will all want to wield the most power they can, and if there's anyone from Dorne, they will be all about revenge.

If they go to the past, there are plenty of characters to choose from.  If they go to the future, the main houses we saw on the show will survive.  And that could mean: Brienne and Jaimie have a child that inherits the Lannister titles or Tyrion has a child.  The Starks can come from Arya, Brandon, Sansa, or even Jon (if he survives and remains King in the North).  The Targs can come from Dany, or Jon, or Dany and Jon.

Edited by WearyTraveler
21 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

I don't think I ever mentioned inbred character traits.

Inbred can also mean congenital, or existing from birth.

This is all done in the spirit of maintaining certain continuity and familiarity for the audience that is watching the original show because the point of doing a spinoff is to capture the audience of the original show, not to find a new audience.

This is true. I agree that whatever the spinoff is, the GOT audience HBO wants to access for the spinoff needs to buy in, and it's hard to do that without a connection to existing GOT characters. However, even when that connection is established, it's no guarantee of success; Better Call Saul has several characters from Breaking Bad appearing, but it hasn't found the same audience Breaking Bad had (despite being a great show in my opinion).

And these families will roughly have the same archetype they have now on the show. 

I think the core families can't really be boiled down to any sort of personality or moral archetype. Sansa and Arya belong to the same family, but they're so different that Ned called them as different as the sun and the moon. The Lannisters have all sorts: the sadistic, the pragmatic, the ruthlessly ambitious, the naive, the brilliant, the dim, the born leaders, and the loyal followers. There's no one single "type." Furthermore, slapping "good" and "evil" labels on the Starks and Lannisters, as appealing as it might seem, doesn't really work, either. Is Tyrion evil? Is Arya good?

If they go to the future, the main houses we saw on the show will survive.

Maybe, maybe not. It seems like a given that some great houses will not survive ASOIAF/GOT. Some great houses have already been wiped out or are hanging by a thread. 

(edited)

When I read the article on EW here, I took it as they were making shows based loosely on GOT, not necessarily follow-up shows.  I was thinking more along the lines of Dunk & Egg, The Dance of Dragons and maybe Robert's Rebellion, stuff like that.  If it is just true spinoffs of what we already have, I can't see this as something I plan to watch. 

Worse yet, is of the four proposed shows, two of them are confirmed as having GRRM as a contributor.  If he doesn't stop messing around with these TV shows and get back to work on the last two books, I may have to think about tracking him down and flogging him mercilessly. 

Edited by kcbuckeye2
spelling and stuff
4 hours ago, kcbuckeye2 said:

When I read the article on EW here, I took it as they were making shows based loosely on GOT, not necessarily follow-up shows.  I was thinking more along the lines of Dunk & Egg, The Dance of Dragons and maybe Robert's Rebellion, stuff like that.  If it is just true spinoffs of what we already have, I can't see this as something I plan to watch. 

Worse yet, is of the four proposed shows, two of them are confirmed as having GRRM as a contributor.  If he doesn't stop messing around with these TV shows and get back to work on the last two books, I may have to think about tracking him down and flogging him mercilessly. 

2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

This is also my understanding, but who knows?

I think Dunk & Egg is the likeliest choice for a spinoff, since GRRM has talked about how he'd like to adapt it for TV (and since he's collaborating with two of the writers vying for the spinoff). I'll be surprised if it isn't Dunk & Egg, to be honest. It's fun to speculate about a possible sequel, though. Avatar: the Last Airbender did a sequel set 70 years after the original series ended that worked very well.

• Love 2
On 2017-05-07 at 6:58 PM, WearyTraveler said:

So, we are left with the past and the future.  In either scenario, they need to connect the current show audience to something that is familiar to them, or they will lose them.  Just having the story set in Westeros doesn't really work, IMO.  Particularly since the show hasn't really spent any time in doing any world building.  I bet you the average viewer doesn't have a firm grasp of the differences between North and South, and in the South the differences between Dornishmen and Men of the Vale.

I think that depends on how the series end. If it somehow ends with a major shift in the society they could jump forward in time and do some other historically inspired conflict with magic mixed in. The viewers don't have much depth to the world but they have some broad strokes.

GRRM posted on his Livejournal that he could confirm that HBO is developing "a successor show" to GOT, which supports previous speculation that the four separate ideas will yield a single spinoff as opposed to multiple shows.

• Love 1

Or, that they'll pick one of the ideas to do now and hope that, if the show's successful and proves that a franchise can work, that they can repeat the process with one of the other ideas once that show ends. After all, it's unlikely that any of the ideas would need even close to the same number of seasons to play out that the current saga does, so we would be looking at limited run series. Robert's Rebellion is a one-season story. Dunk & Egg is also probably a one-season story, but maybe 2 if they stretched it into Egg's reign.

The Dance with Dragons though could easily be 3-4 seasons, and I would love if they went with that. It would be the most expensive by far, though, because of all the dragons and warfare, so HBO may not want to take that kind of risk as the first series. I could see them doing a smaller idea as a "proof of concept" sort of thing, and if there's appetite, then taking on the bigger project next.

I do think that they'll likely want to keep the dragons, cause the general audience looooooooves the dragons. I also think they likely don't have the budget for more than one dragon every other episode. I doubt that they just love Drogon so much, that they neglect the other two on purpose. They're just not in the budget, the same as the Direwolves (who I think are probably even more complicated than the dragons to animate, cause of all the furr and cause we all know what wolves actually look like).

19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Dunk & Egg is also probably a one-season story, but maybe 2 if they stretched it into Egg's reign.

1 season for Dunk & Egg seems like a wild lowballing to me, unless you're just referring to adapting the existing stories.

I'd say that premise has almost limitless potential, because it's a classic TV adventure show setup that would be really, really easy to expand on (by some combination of just making stuff up and making use of GRRM's ideas for future D&E novellas that may or may not ever see the light of day).  Knight and squire traveling around the Seven Kingdoms, getting involved in different local disputes, overarching stories about the Blackfyres, Egg's gradual maturation, etc.  You could take, for instance, the idea for the "She-Wolves of Winterfell" novella and turn that into a season-length Northern succession crisis story.  That setup would also be a way of making roles attractive for big-name talent.

Yes, I'm just referring to adapting the existing stories.

I view that premise as the weakest in general. It's fun and all, but not really high-concept and is the furthest away from GoT. You say "classic TV adventure show setup" and that's true, but it's also exactly the problem with the idea. I can't see HBO signing on for multiple seasons for a series like that. It's more what a channel like SyFy does. Now, a limited run proof of concept, sure. But I don't think they should go with D&E even as that, as I don't think most show-only viewers would be interested - they'd tune in once out of curiosity, and then ratings would quickly fall off a cliff as they realize that the show isn't anything like GoT. D&E is simply too small-scale. If D&E were the first successor show, it would fail, and then the failure of the proof of concept would end any dream of future shows in the universe. Adapting Robert's Rebellion, or Dance with Dragons, or Aegon's conquest of Westeros, all have a much better chance with show-only viewers.

• Love 2

While I agree that Dunk & Egg would most likely not have the same breadth of appeal, I don't think any series is likely to recapture GOT's audience.  Moreover, if you get the characters right, I think plenty of people would find it interesting.  Also, while D&E might not be as big, it would come at a fraction of the cost, so it wouldn't have to come close to GOT's success to justify the investment.

HBO was very open about wanting GOT to run as long as possible, so I do think that they'd prefer something open-ended, or at least, with a very long shelf-life.  D&E fits that bill much better than any other historical option (something like Aegon's Conquest has the additional problem of there being no real drama; the Targaryens curbstomp everybody other than the Dornish, and the Dornish conflict just drags on and then stop).

(edited)

GRRM recently provided some more information about the spinoffs on his blog.

1. There are five scripts in production, not four.

2. He's not going to reveal the name of the writer working on the fifth spinoff, but he's apparently a "great guy and a fine writer" who supposedly knows Westeros almost as well as Elio, Linda and GRRM himself.

3. None of the spinoffs are sequels. 

4. Contrary to what was previously reported, GRRM has been working with all of the writers, not just Goldman and Wray.

5. No Dunk & Egg.

6. No Robert's Rebellion.

7. Some of the spinoff ideas may not even be set in Westeros.

Edited by Eyes High
2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

7. Some of the spinoff ideas may not even be set in Westeros.

This kind of surprises me, because I would have thought one of the main things HBO wanted out of GOT spinoffs was the ability to make use of the existing iconography, settings, etc.  A show about Yi-Ti or whatever might as well not be set on Planetos at all, as far as generally audiences are concerned.

15 minutes ago, SeanC said:

This kind of surprises me, because I would have thought one of the main things HBO wanted out of GOT spinoffs was the ability to make use of the existing iconography, settings, etc.  A show about Yi-Ti or whatever might as well not be set on Planetos at all, as far as generally audiences are concerned.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if whatever series makes it to air is set anywhere other than Westeros. 

My sense is that while GRRM gave reasons for not wanting to do Dunk & Egg in the LJ post providing further detail about the spinoffs, it was HBO who passed on that idea, particularly since GRRM had gone on the record in the past indicating that he believed Dunk & Egg was a natural fit for a spinoff. He could have changed his mind since he made those statements, of course, but I doubt it.

On the ASOIAF Reddit, they speculated that the fifth writer is Bryan Cogman. It fits; GRRM mentioned in the LJ post that he's been meeting with the spinoff writers one on one, and Cogman met with GRRM recently.

I'm glad they're not doing Dunk & Egg. The characters, the plot and the era were so dull that I only read the first story; it felt like I was getting dreary low fantasy faux-medieval worldbuilding that was missing all the conflicts and factions that actually made the ASOIAF books entertaining when I first got into the series.

HBO will probably find it hard to say no to Targaryens and dragons, but I can't see how they could do the Dance without all those fighting dragons being hideously expensive/time-consuming while also being more important to the plot than Dany's trio (aka Drogon and those two we can only afford to show maybe twice per season), plus all the Targs sound like assholes. Aegon's conquest has no tension if they follow canon since he gets everything he wants until he tries Dorne.

The idea I like best right now is a series set before the conquest. A lot of the houses would be familiar and they'd get to play the game but if the show treated the worldbook as unreliable history we wouldn't know anything about how it turns out (beyond "I guess the Stark/Lannister houses survive even though King Bob Lannister just poisoned King Jim Stark who then cut off his frenemy's head").

34 minutes ago, ElizaD said:

I'm glad they're not doing Dunk & Egg. The characters, the plot and the era were so dull that I only read the first story; it felt like I was getting dreary low fantasy faux-medieval worldbuilding that was missing all the conflicts and factions that actually made the ASOIAF books entertaining when I first got into the series.

HBO will probably find it hard to say no to Targaryens and dragons, but I can't see how they could do the Dance without all those fighting dragons being hideously expensive/time-consuming while also being more important to the plot than Dany's trio (aka Drogon and those two we can only afford to show maybe twice per season), plus all the Targs sound like assholes. 

Even with a GOT budget, HBO could only afford four dragon scenes per season. I don't know how they could do DOTD given that constraint.

I had no sympathy for any of the Targ characters in the DOTD story...even the kids! Getting wiped out along with their dragons in the DOTD seemed to be about what they deserved. I guess a good writer could give them more shading and nuance than in the novella, but ultimately they came off like a bunch of petty assholes.

IDK, I'm so annoyed with Martin over his handling of GoT, it makes it hard to want to support or watch these shows, even if I find the subject matter intriguing and at least better than the derivative shows on regular network tv.  Guess I'll have to wait to see how I feel if/when they actually show up.

I want a show about Barristan Selmy's younger days, the days that made him into basically a Ted Williams / Babe Ruth level legend by the time we get to see him dismissed in S1. And I don't get why they wouldn't want a three or four year treatment of Robert's Rebellion. Also, I'll take a Podrick Brienne buddy comedy while I'm at it. And a side of something about Valyria ending in the Doom. 

• Love 1
On 5/14/2017 at 3:00 PM, Black Knight said:

D&E is simply too small-scale. If D&E were the first successor show, it would fail, and then the failure of the proof of concept would end any dream of future shows in the universe. Adapting Robert's Rebellion, or Dance with Dragons, or Aegon's conquest of Westeros, all have a much better chance with show-only viewers.

Not really. Dunk goes from hedge knight to Lord Commander of the Kingsgaurd as Aegon goes from squire to King. They live through 3 reigns - Daeron, Aerys I, Maekar before Aegon. 

At the start of the series, Westeros had only just ended the Blackfyre rebellion, and the fall-out of that hadn't quite settled. Over the years, there would be several Blackfyre Pretenders. In fact, the entire Blackfyre saga seems like a large-scale setting of the feud between 2 Targaryen bastards Bloodraven and Bittersteel.

To do the story justice, it might require at least one actor change for Egg as he goes from kid to grown man, which I think showrunners are unwilling to do because they'd rather the audience remain attached to one actor. 

(edited)
On 2017-05-15 at 1:06 PM, SeanC said:

Yi-Ti, Asshai and the Summer Isles are probably out.

But they could set a show in Braavos probably and that would be reasonable. Duelists in the streets, and Faceless Men!

Lots of fun stuff there.

Edited by Maximum Taco
On 7/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, Katsullivan said:

Not really. Dunk goes from hedge knight to Lord Commander of the Kingsgaurd as Aegon goes from squire to King. They live through 3 reigns - Daeron, Aerys I, Maekar before Aegon. 

Yes, I'm aware, but we're a long way from getting to any of that in the D&E stories.

They'd be smart to try to carry over some of the same characters, so maybe Danny and Arya and some of the others who were kids when GoT began as adults or in their middle age?

IOW, GOT some 20-30 years in the future?

Or go back 20-30 years when Ned was ascending to become lord of Winterfell.

That might be less risky than coming up with new characters or making the spinoffs be about some minor characters from GoT.

Of course, Better Call Saul hasn't gotten the ratings of Breaking Bad, though the quality is as good.  Main complaint seems to be not enough action.

Reviving this because I'm bored-

Despite the fact that no GOT characters are going to be in spinoffs- I'd watch the heck out of the Many Adventures of Oberyn Martell. Him hanging out in Essos, him learning about poisons at the Citadel. 

Another one- the founding of House Martell- Nymeria and her 10 000 ships and the Rhoynar fleeing their homeland.

The Blackfyre Rebellion is another one.

A Maester named Wyllis, about 600 years before GOT, lived among the Free Folk and worked as a healer at Hardhome before it was destroyed until mysterious circumstances. He wrote a book when he returned to the Citadel  "Hardhome: An Account of Three Years Spent Beyond-the-Wall among Savages, Raiders, and Woods-witches" Maybe the show should be that book. 

• Love 1

If the spinoffs are not going to have any of the current canon characters, I'd like to see the beginning of Westeros prehistory. The children of the forest encounters with the first men. There's plenty of material there for magic and spectacle and they dealt with the Long Night, the white walkers and the building of the wall. It would be fun to see Bran the Builder in action with the giants and free folk. 

• Love 4
On 5/15/2017 at 1:24 PM, Eyes High said:

On the ASOIAF Reddit, they speculated that the fifth writer is Bryan Cogman. It fits; GRRM mentioned in the LJ post that he's been meeting with the spinoff writers one on one, and Cogman met with GRRM recently.

EW.com has confirmed that Bryan Cogman is indeed the fifth writer working on a prequel treatment.

• Love 1

This is more fun than anything, but here are the stars pitching their spinoff ideas.

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a12667601/game-of-thrones-stars-pitch-spin-off-ideas/

This one sounds best. I love how these two rip on each other.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) and Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth)

Coster-Waldau: "I want to see the Brienne-Jaime household. How will they raise their seven children?"

Christie: "Seven? I think they have horses that sleep in the house, too."

Coster-Waldau: "Yes, seven."

Christie: "I could do seven. Yeah, no problem. But what kind of show would it be like?"

Coster-Waldau: "It’s a sitcom."

Christie: "Like The Brady Bunch? Something like that?"

Coster-Waldau: "Yes! It’s a Brady Bunch/Modern Family. That kind of family. Captain Fantastic."

Christie: "The Braime Bunch."

Coster-Waldau: "Yes! I’m going to get down with Brienne."

Christie: "That is disgusting. That shows absolutely no respect whatsoever. How many seasons have we been rolling along, and that’s what you choose to say? That really is very cheap. A cheap way for someone to speak."

Coster-Waldau: "They’re both very honorable and they’ve grown to love and appreciate each other, and I think that’s the beautiful foundation of real love. They should get down."

Christie: "Ugh!"

Coster-Waldau: "Because I’m a foreigner, I don’t speak your language very well. They should get intimate. Is that better? But can you see yourself in the sitcom? Should we do it?"

Christie: "Yeah, I’ll do it! It’s work!"

Coster-Waldau: "I’m out of a job very soon, so let’s get it out there!"

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I heard that they were considering a procedural buddy cop show with Brienne of Tarth and Bran the Three Eyed Raven. Essentially she was going to be the no-nonsense, straight talking, abrasive tough cop, and Bran was going to be a cross between Ironside and the quippy comic-relief character, which suits his natural comic timing and jovial disposition. Essentially each episode would involve them receiving news of a murder, at which point Bran would consult his general omniscience and reveal the name of the culprit. The show would be approximately two minutes long, including adverts.     

The Westeros Wing was another show they were considering, about the inner political workings of King's Landing, with Tyrion Lannister played by Martin Sheen. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Love 1

GRRM posted a Notablog LJ post with the following message:

[A picture of four hands, each showing a number: one, two, three, four.]

"Even better!"

[A picture of five hands, each showing a number: one, two, three, four, five.]

"Oops, ouch, ouch ouch ouch."

[A picture of three hands, each showing a number: one, two, three.]

"Bing bang boom!"

[A picture of four hands, each showing a number: one, two, three, four.]

"One for all and all for one."

"The dragon has three heads."

"Pluck your magic twangers."

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

The post is tagged #television. The consensus seems to be that the post refers to the spinoffs. A few have speculated that the hand pictures and accompanying text refer to the fate of the spinoffs. First, there were four spinoff ideas. Then, there were five (the fifth being Bryan Cogman's). Then, two spinoffs didn't work out, busting the number back to three (thus the "ouch"). Lastly, another spinoff idea was proposed, bringing the number back up to four spinoff treatments.

Given that, maybe the four quotes refer to the themes of the four potential spinoffs, respectively:

1. "One for all and all for one": a quote from The Three Musketeers.

2. "The dragon has three heads": Aegon and his sisters, maybe?

3. "Pluck your magic twangers": a phrase from Andy's Gang TV show (apparently). It's associated with Froggy the Gremlin. (A character in GRRM's novel The Armageddon Rag uses this phrase as well.)

4. "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you": from The Hound of the Baskervilles. Murder mystery series, maybe? GRRM said he'd like to do one set in Braavos.

Going back to the spinoffs, it seems like two of the spinoff ideas were dropped. I wonder who backed out.

12 minutes ago, SeanC said:

So it's about War for the Dawn 1.0?  Eh, that strikes me as one of the less-appealing routes for a new series, insofar as it's presumably quite imitative of what GOT itself has been doing.

It seems odd that they would go this far back in time. I thought they'd go Dance of the Dragons or the Conquest, with hopefully better wigs. It's interesting.

• Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, SeanC said:

So it's about War for the Dawn 1.0?  Eh, that strikes me as one of the less-appealing routes for a new series, insofar as it's presumably quite imitative of what GOT itself has been doing.

Yes, but on a lower budget and with no dragons. Sounds like a winner!

Edited by Eyes High
4 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Yeah I’m not hyped yet. the WW have never been the most the interesting thing for me.

• Love 3

I'm thrilled with the idea of a Stark Centric series set during the first Long Night!  I have been expecting the Doom of Valyria and more Targs because of GRRM's obvious keen interest in continuing to tell their story.  But if this becomes the series GRRM will be an executive producer on it.  I am pleased with what we know so far!

I wonder if there will be a second pilot.  If so, my money is still on the Doom.

They're going to have to get some sympathetic characters as well as villains right away.

That's what GoT got down so well, in the very first episode, with the Starks vs. the Lannisters.

Probably cast some cute young child actors again?

Or who knows, I'm not familiar with this show runner.  Then again, I didn't know about these guys either.

Wonder if HBO will give them a big budget right off the bat or let them prove themselves for a season first.  I would imagine the cast won't get the salaries that GoT's star cast members get, at least not at the start.  But it'll be interesting to see what they do with the FX budget, the location filming in multiple countries, etc.

Will they have dragons at the start or build up to them again?

3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

There were dragons around in Westeros in this time period. Where do you think the Last Hero got a dragon steel sword from? Not to mention all the implications that the Great Empire of the Dawn had dragons and this show is going to have Essos involved.

4 hours ago, SeanC said:

The Deep Ones, the Children of the Forest, Giants, Dragons, the Lion of Night's invasion of Essos the Blood Betrayal, the Great Empire of the Dawn, dragons, hundreds of petty kingdoms in Westeros, the Bloodstone Emperor unleashing the Long Night etc.

There's a lot they can do here.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, WindyNights said:

There were dragons around in Westeros in this time period. Where do you think the Last Hero got a dragon steel sword from? Not to mention all the implications that the Great Empire of the Dawn had dragons and this show is going to have Essos involved.

So do you think this series will actually have Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa? Will they go all the way with the fantasy element you think?