Type keyword(s) to search

Franchise Of Thrones: Possible Spin Offs Speculation, News and Spoilers

• Start Topic

More news (Screenrant, via /Freefolk): Denise Gough and Sheila Atim are in talks to feature in the prequel. They're both Olivier Award winners. Sheila Atim apparently made a big splash playing Emilia in Othello, which is kind of cool given that it was Michelle Fairley's Olivier Award-nominated performance as Emilia that originally brought her to the attention of D&D.

Olivier Award winners are no stranger to GOT: Jonathan Pryce, Conleth Hill, and Iwan Rheon are all past winners. (Iain Glen, Diana Rigg, and Michelle Fairley are past nominees.)

If you wanted virtual unknowns for the prequel, I'd never heard of either of these actresses. 

I discovered Harlots this summer and it became my #2 show after GOT. Sheila Atim was one of the new supporting harlots in season 2. So I might actually get the GOT/Harlots connection I dreamed of! She played a tough woman with a sense of humor and she's very tall, so she could be a good warrior type - my first thought was an Areo Hotah role with, hopefully, an actual personality.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Eyes High said:

More news (Screenrant, via /Freefolk): Denise Gough and Sheila Atim are in talks to feature in the prequel. They're both Olivier Award winners. Sheila Atim apparently made a big splash playing Emilia in Othello, which is kind of cool given that it was Michelle Fairley's Olivier Award-nominated performance as Emilia that originally brought her to the attention of D&D.

Olivier Award winners are no stranger to GOT: Jonathan Pryce, Conleth Hill, and Iwan Rheon are all past winners. (Iain Glen, Diana Rigg, and Michelle Fairley are past nominees.)

If you wanted virtual unknowns for the prequel, I'd never heard of either of these actresses. 

They just have to have a very notable British accent.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ElizaD said:

I discovered Harlots this summer and it became my #2 show after GOT. Sheila Atim was one of the new supporting harlots in season 2. So I might actually get the GOT/Harlots connection I dreamed of! She played a tough woman with a sense of humor and she's very tall, so she could be a good warrior type - my first thought was an Areo Hotah role with, hopefully, an actual personality.

Sheila Atim also has a beautiful singing voice, which may or may not factor into things. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Sheila Atim also has a beautiful singing voice, which may or may not factor into things. 

She had a little pub song on Harlots but she must have intentionally made her voice rougher and less trained because I just watched some of her other songs on YouTube and that was beautiful. I love how British historical dramas are always good for "I liked that supporting player with the tiny but enjoyable role, I'll look her up. . . oh, her shelf is already full of theatrical awards."

WOTW news from October:

B3 (Male, 50 – 63 years old) SERIES REGULAR. Playing age 50s. Black actor.
W (Male, 37 – 45 years old) Playing age late 30s-mid 40s. Caucasian actor.
E (Male, 30 – 38 years old) SERIES REGULAR. Playing age 30s. Genuine Scandinavian, Germanic, or Eastern European.
V2 (Male, 49 – 58 years old) SERIES REGULAR. Playing age 50s. Genuine Scandinavian, Germanic, or Eastern European.
N (Female, 31 – 34 years old) SERIES REGULAR. Playing age early 30s. Caucasian actress.
M3 (Female, 28 – 31 years old) SERIES REGULAR. Playing age late 20s. Caucasian actress.

Danny Sapani has been great on Harlots, so he'd be my dream casting for B3. I'd also love it if E or V2 went to one of the Vikings actors. Denise Gough is 38 and there's no black female role on the list, so maybe Gough and Atim had already been cast when this was leaked.

Edited by ElizaD
  • Love 1

Update from ThatHashtagShow: Sheila Atim and Denise Gough are now confirmed. Also confirmed is Georgie Henley, aka Lucy Pevensie from the Narnia movies. No word on the roles they'll be playing.

Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, who costarred with Denise Gough in recent productions of Angels in America, and who played Curtis in Misfits, has been given a "test offer." 

So, Miranda Richardson has been added to the cast.  I'm intrigued.  I've been wondering why the cast lacked older actors, as so many of the best characters in GOT were those played by actors and actresses over 40.   Imagine the GOT pilot without Ned, Catelyn, Tyrion, Robert, Jorah, Sandor amongst others I'm sure.

Now I'm wondering if casting is still on-going, and if we'll be hearing more names over the upcoming months.

• Love 1

Five new cast members added--still no details of course. But I wonder about the 13-year old girl with the haunting face. All these 5 are listed as regular cast members, but still nary a clue what the actual story line will be. Oh well, patience is a virtue, they say. (NOT).

www.spoilertv.com/2019/03/game-of-thrones-prequel-marquis.html?utm_source=followistic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=followistic#flw_c=email&flw_n=5c9c042d9b460aec3e3a8991

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:55 PM, joliefaire said:

Five new cast members added--still no details of course. But I wonder about the 13-year old girl with the haunting face. All these 5 are listed as regular cast members, but still nary a clue what the actual story line will be. Oh well, patience is a virtue, they say. (NOT).

www.spoilertv.com/2019/03/game-of-thrones-prequel-marquis.html?utm_source=followistic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=followistic#flw_c=email&flw_n=5c9c042d9b460aec3e3a8991

Looks good.   Finally some more older actors showing up.  

In other news, production on the Game of Thrones prequel seems to have started, and in the early stages. We got some exclusive information and a picture of the same. Our source tells us that the set building has begun on the Antrim coast in Ireland. They have the base built up, and they’ve started to bring in equipment like the toilets and port-a-cabins. Check out the picture:

Q3DmrGa.jpg

https://wikiofthrones.com/23066/game-of-thrones-cast-struggles-spell-daenerys-targaryen-production-begins-on-got-prequel/

4 Years Later...

Lyanna Mormont: Nurse, what's wrong with me? This is the worst stomach ache i've ever had!

Nurse: It's not your stomach, Child, you're getting your period, at last!

Lyanna Mormont: Oh. Sigh, well duty calls, i suppose. I need to send a message to Winterfell to ask about---

Servant (running in, excited): Lord Brandon Stark is here to see you, my Lady! He says he has a potion for you.

Nurse: A potion, why?

Lyanna Mormont: Right, he's psychic, remember?

Nurse: Still, that's, well, overly familiar.

Lyanna Mormont: I expect we'll all be getting familiar soon. Besides, i could really use the potion.

Nurse: Yes, my Lady.

Lyanna Mormont: And tell the tailor to meet me after dinner, it's time to resize my mother's dresses.

(edited)

About the Long Night prequel...

Based on the references made about the Long Night in the books, magical and fantasy elements were major players during the period.

If the Long Night prequel leans heavily into these magical/fantasy elements, it could draw in the fans of GOT who are disappointed that the current show didn't deeply explore that part of. the world.  

Then again, the fans that hate the way the defeat of night king and AOTD went down in the current series, may not be interested in the Long Night prequel.  They may feel that it doesn't matter how big of a deal The Others are built up in the prequel, since the ending that D&D gave the AOTD and the night King has undermined that.

Then there are the fans that love GOT because of the human relationships and interactions and do not care about the magical elements.  The majority of these fans either did not mind the ending of the AOTD and the night King in episode 3, or they were indifferent to it.  Inorder to draw these fans into the Long Night prequel, the prequel has to cater to their needs by ensuring the show has very interesting and compelling plots in the human-side of things.  Hopefully, the writers are able to do that without losing the magical and fantasy elements (they still have to serve the fantasy fans).

Then we have the fans that love both sides of this world equally. The human relationships and the fantasy aspects of the world are both important to them. For them, the prequel has to strike a nice balance to keep them engaged.

And yes, there are fans who will not tune in to the prequel if the ending of the current show is terrible in their opinion. They may not be that many, but some fans will not tune in. 

The fourth point is that the Long Night prequel will most likely never get to the success level of GOT.  Even if it ends up being a much better show, I don't see it being the worldwide phenomenon the GOT has become.  The is because the current TV landscape is totally different from what it was in the years 2011 - 2015/2016.   Now we have so many scripted shows and from different content providers.  For most of these providers, you can watch their shows whenever you want to.   "Weekly appointment TV" is no longer required.  I just don't see any TV content provider ever having a show that would dominate the discourse the way GOT has.  We are now in the era of streaming and GOT is most likely the last huge "weekly appointment" TV show. 

Just my humble opinion. Then again, I may be totally wrong. Amazon Prime may just give us a show that sweeps us off our feet. 🤣

Edited by Chiny11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Chiny11 said:

About the Long Night prequel...

Based on the references made about the Long Night in the books, magical and fantasy elements were major players during the period.

If the Long Night prequel leans heavily into these magical/fantasy elements, it could draw in the fans of GOT who are disappointed that the current show didn't deeply explore that part of. the world.  

Then again, the fans that hate the way the defeat of night king and AOTD went down in the current series, may not be interested in the Long Night prequel.  They may feel that it doesn't matter how big of a deal The Others are built up in the prequel, since the ending that D&D gave the AOTD and the night King has undermined that.

Then there are the fans that love GOT because of the human relationships and interactions and do not care about the magical elements.  The majority of these fans either did not mind the ending of the AOTD and the night King in episode 3, or they were indifferent to it.  Inorder to draw these fans into the Long Night prequel, the prequel has to cater to their needs by ensuring the show has very interesting and compelling plots in the human-side of things.  Hopefully, the writers are able to do that without losing the magical and fantasy elements (they still have to serve the fantasy fans).

Then we have the fans that love both sides of this world equally. The human relationships and the fantasy aspects of the world are both important to them. For them, the prequel has to strike a nice balance to keep them engaged.

And yes, there are fans who will not tune in to the prequel if the ending is terrible in their opinion. They may not be that many, but some fans will not tune in. 

The fourth point is that the Long Night prequel will most likely never get to the success level of GOT.  Even if it ends up being a much better show, I don't see it being the worldwide phenomenon the GOT has become.  The is because the current TV landscape is totally different from what it was in the years 2011 - 2015/2016.   Now we have so many scripted shows and from different content providers.  For most of these providers, you can watch their shows whenever you want to.   "Weekly appointment TV" is no longer required.  I just don't see any TV content provider ever having a show that would dominate the discourse the way GOT has.  We are now in the era of streaming and GOT is most likely the last huge "weekly appointment" TV show. 

Just my humble opinion. Then again, I may be totally wrong. Amazon Prime may just give us a show that sweeps us off our feet. 🤣

Good analysis. I have a feeling we don't know the whole thing anyway and we will be surprised. I can't shake that feeling. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Stallion12 said:

Good analysis. I have a feeling we don't know the whole thing anyway and we will be surprised. I can't shake that feeling. 

And it will lose fans like me who do not care about that stuff.

I think this is something that's been overlooked in this discussion. That they are prequels in the far, far past.

The biggest draw of a spin off is to continue the existing story or at least follow the adventures of an "ensemble dark horse character". Or move so far into the future that we can glean information about the fates of the original!heroes.

So what will be the draw of these new stories? And I ask as someone who lost interest in them once I heard they were going further into the past than the source material covered. A disappointing finish to GOT is almost overkill i.e. it won't make me less interested in the spin-offs than I already am.

1 hour ago, ursula said:

I think this is something that's been overlooked in this discussion. That they are prequels in the far, far past.

The biggest draw of a spin off is to continue the existing story or at least follow the adventures of an "ensemble dark horse character". Or move so far into the future that we can glean information about the fates of the original!heroes.

So what will be the draw of these new stories? And I ask as someone who lost interest in them once I heard they were going further into the past than the source material covered. A disappointing finish to GOT is almost overkill i.e. it won't make me less interested in the spin-offs than I already am.

I didn't answer in the other thread because the mod said to stay on topic.  But the draw I guess is those who want the great of the night king background 

9 hours ago, Stallion12 said:

I didn't answer in the other thread because the mod said to stay on topic.  But the draw I guess is those who want the great of the night king background 

Personally I am not uninterested  in where the firat men came from and why, but The answer may be conventional in science fi tion terms. The awakening of magic? Giant ice  spiders taking messages between the COF and  Cthulhu?

The times of Brandon the Builder, anyway, are at least as interesting to me as the Targaryen backstory. Maybe more so. 

What I'm most looking forward to in the prequel is--direwolves!  Yay, direwolves!  This article says the series will explore why direwolves are so important to the Starks.  The series will also follow the building of the great castles, so I presume we'll see and hear about the various magics and wards that Bran the Builder built into Winterfell.  Can't wait!

https://wikiofthrones.com/24641/game-of-thrones-prequel-update-cushendon-caves-filming-location-direwolves/

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, joliefaire said:

The series will also follow the building of the great castles, so I presume we'll see and hear about the various magics and wards that Bran the Builder built into Winterfell

I'm really interested in the possibility of seeing  Durran Godsgrief and Elenei, and how they created Storm's End. 

• Useful 1
On 5/12/2019 at 8:29 AM, joliefaire said:

What I'm most looking forward to in the prequel is--direwolves!  Yay, direwolves!  This article says the series will explore why direwolves are so important to the Starks.  The series will also follow the building of the great castles, so I presume we'll see and hear about the various magics and wards that Bran the Builder built into Winterfell.  Can't wait!

https://wikiofthrones.com/24641/game-of-thrones-prequel-update-cushendon-caves-filming-location-direwolves/

Sounds boring af. A series about building castles? That sounds like a fricking documentary. And direwolves are cute but they're not dragons.

After season eight the only spinoff I would be interested in would be one about Drogon. What did he do when he disappeared for long stretches of time because he’s like a super dragon and so agile. He could teach a class on how to zigzag -  LOL.

(edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 10:30 PM, ursula said:

For me personally, it sort of quenches that thirst I have to know who Nissa Nissa and AA were and see Old Nan's last hero story on screen. There are a ton of legends that tie right back into ASoIaF, like the Night's King (13th lord commander of the NW) who was sacrificing to the Others. I have questions and I want answers, damn it!

The Age of Heroes sounds like a really interesting period in the history of Westeros.

I wish Bryan Cogman wasn't tied to these projects, though. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

Cogman's spin-off didn't get picked up and he's not involved with the other ones. 

The whole "10,000 years in the past," thing throws me. What's the technology-level like? If GoT was the fantasy equivalent of the "War of the Roses," pre-Tudor era, wouldn't that make this show 8,000 B.C.? Did they have, "scheming socialites," back then? Has Westeros never developed as a culture? 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

For me personally, it sort of quenches that thirst I have to know who Nissa Nissa and AA were and see Old Nan's last hero story on screen. There are a ton of legends that tie right back into ASoIaF, like the Night's King (13th lord commander of the NW) who was sacrificing to the Others. I have questions and I want answers, damn it!

Honestly, those sound like Wikipedia questions, not story plot. (And even then, I won't be sure if the answer I'm getting is GRRM-canon or something like the Night King where the producers just made up their own "cool sounding" story.)

And knowing all the answers about a world isn't always appealing. Dune prequels by Brian Herbert is a good example.

11 minutes ago, loki567 said:

The whole "10,000 years in the past," thing throws me. What's the technology-level like?

I mean... 🤷

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, loki567 said:

Cogman's spin-off didn't get picked up and he's not involved with the other ones. 

The whole "10,000 years in the past," thing throws me. What's the technology-level like? If GoT was the fantasy equivalent of the "War of the Roses," pre-Tudor era, wouldn't that make this show 8,000 B.C.? Did they have, "scheming socialites," back then? Has Westeros never developed as a culture? 

You wonder how it developed at all if there were constant wars for dominance.

Sounded like some Houses became richer by taking over other Houses or being awarded them for backing the parties which eventually won, as Bron was aiming to get awarded a big castle and the attached lands.

You’d have to have hundreds of years of relative peace to build up castles and develop knowledge/technology.  But before that point, you’d have to have accumulated wealth from surplus harvests and generations of trade so that all sides became richer.

Then they could fund things like training generations of meisters and paying them to store all the accumulated knowledge in all those books.  New generations of meisters would have to devote lives to reading those books and coming up with new ideas, discoveries, to advance technology and culture.

Then for generations, realms could cultivate craftsmen and builders rather than soldiers.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

After season eight the only spinoff I would be interested in would be one about Drogon. What did he do when he disappeared for long stretches of time because he’s like a super dragon and so agile. He could teach a class on how to zigzag -  LOL.

Will the spinoffs feature dragons or other set pieces requir8ng special effects?

HBO or AT&T may pare back the budget until they see if the spinoffs can gain traction and get the kind of ratings GoT are getting.  Then in later seasons, ramp up the budgets.

So the same trajectory as GoT, which didn’t have expensive sfx in the early seasons.

Yet GoT grabbed audiences right away, including those who didn’t read the books like myself, by setting up the sympathetic Starks vs. the villains Cersei, Jaime and Joffrey immediately.

They’re going to need the equivalent of Jaime throwing Bran off the tower or Joffrey trying to bully a peasant boy early on, to pull in the fans and make them take sides, have characters they can identify with right off the bat.

Other shows have moral complexity as far as which character are all good and which are all bad.  GoT doesn’t bother with moral ambiguity.  We know who the good guys are.

19 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

You never know, a spinoff can be a quasi seqaustralopithecenesuel. Maybe a blackfyre from the female line finds him and goes for the throne. 😉

Call me crazy but did anyone else get the vibe that show might have been leaving open the possibly of continuing years down the line? It seems unthinkable right now, but we live in an era of television where nothing is ever truly finished.

I won't be shocked if HBO doesn't make another run at a movie, miniseries, or another season with the same cast, depending how everyone's career's going, 10-15 years from now. 

Everything is still so wildly open-ended from The White Walkers (That wasn't the REAL NIGHT'S KING) to Dany (a red priest resurrection anyone?) could be hand-waved without that much problem. 

• Love 3

You sell the rights, you sell the rights. And without being too much of a morbid bastard about it, 10-15 years now George will be in his 80s. And I wonder if HBO came to him and said, "we want to make a 200 million dollar movie about the characters after GoT," if he even would step in the way of it. 

This is definitely not something I imagine happening any time soon but law of averages says a lot of the actors' careers are going to peak with GoT. A decade later, coming back to the series might sound a lot more appealing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, loki567 said:

You sell the rights, you sell the rights. And without being too much of a morbid bastard about it, 10-15 years now George will be in his 80s. And I wonder if HBO came to him and said, "we want to make a 200 million dollar movie about the characters after GoT," if he even would step in the way of it. 

This is definitely not something I imagine happening any time soon but law of averages says a lot of the actors' careers are going to peak with GoT. A decade later, coming back to the series might sound a lot more appealing. 

Hey, Deadwood--a show I'm pretty sure only 200 people (including me) watched--ended 15 years ago and its movie premieres May 31. So anything is possible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

https://deadline.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-hbo-boss-finale-reaction-backlash-spinoff-sequel-plans-1202620302/

DEADLINE: Has the big turnout for the final season and fans’ passion for the show’s end game changed the timeline for the prequel pilot?

BLOYS: I think this is the last thing you want to do with any show —  prequel or not — you try not to rush it. So the last thing I want to do is put that sort of pressure on the prequel because George [R.R. Martin] has created this massive universe. It is within that universe, but Jane [Goldman] has created a different show — it’s not the same show, it’s not the same characters, it’s not the same time frame, it’s not the same dynamic. It’s a tough line to walk, but you want to do a show that is of that world but not a replica.

I think [Goldman] has done a great job on the script and SJ Clarkson, the director, is prepping an amazing pilot. We are going to do that pilot and take our time and do it right. Hopefully, I expect we will love it and we will move forward, but I don’t want anything that happened with this final season to dictate anything that is happening in that process.

DEADLINE: If everything with the pilot goes smoothly, could the prequel series premiere next year?

BLOYS: I don’t know. I have to get a sense from production when we see scripts for a season, how big and involved it is. Shooting a pilot in June and having it on the air a year later feels a little rushed, but it’s too soon to tell.

DEADLINE: Author George R.R. Martin recently said that three of the Game of Thrones offshoots, including the prequel pilot, are moving “nicely” at HBO. Can you tell us which the other two are?

BLOYS: Here is what I will tell you. I wanted to get through the final season and let that stand as a cultural moment. We have the pilot starting in June and then we will decide whether to want to do another one or not. I’m letting those things happen before we decide whether to do another one or not.

DEADLINE: Could there be more than one beyond the prequel starring Naomi Watts?

BLOYS: I doubt it, I don’t think so. I certainly do not want to overdo it. We have so many varied shows coming up in 2019 and ’20 and even into ’21. I think Game of Thrones is a fantastic property but I don’t want to just be the home of prequels and sequels and all that stuff. I think you want to be really careful about how you do it. That’s why we’ve been working on the Jane pilot for a long time, because we want to do it right. I think the last thing fans would want is something that was rushed out just to make it to air.

DEADLINE: Any update on the pilot?

BLOYS: The casting was completed a couple of weeks ago. They are busy in Belfast prepping and getting ready to start shooting in a couple of weeks.

DEADLINE: I know you’d ruled out direct spinoffs from Game of Thrones in the past but there is a groundswell among fans for one with Arya Stark. Any chance you can revisit the no-spinoffs policy?

BLOYS: I understand where that comes from, I totally get it. But in terms of wanting to be careful not overdoing it or not killing the goose that lays the golden egg, Dan and David’s show as it stands in eight seasons, I want to leave it as it’s own work of art and not have shows directly, having Arya do that. I think it’s best to try the prequels in other areas of George’s massive universe — just feels like the right thing to do, let the show stand on its own.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I could get into a prequel that takes place during the Dance of Dragons, or the original Targ conquest, or seeing more of what Westeros was like with the Targs still in charge, like the Dunk and Egg stories. That way we can still be in this universe without having to deal with the baggage of the current show. Or even see Valyria, in its prime, during the Doom, or what is is now if Drogon comes there.

What I would super love would be exploring more of the world, like Asshai, the various lovecraft based kingdoms with fish people or people with wings in the east, or forgotten cultures like the Children of the Maze Builders. I guess that could be in a possible in an Arya spin-off, but I dont really see that happening.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Not sure I like those castings.  The kid looks awfully young to me.  But I've been wrong about such things before, so I'm holding back on judgment for now.

Well they have to allow for growth. Looks younger to start. Maybe not too old the next. 

18 hours ago, Affogato said:

Well they have to allow for growth. Looks younger to start. Maybe not too old the next. 

There is that.  I'm reserving judgment since the kid could actually be a great actor.  I haven't seen him anything previously.

Doesn't surprise me.  People don't want to watch Jon Snow mope; they want a satisfying resolution to the clusterfuck of Season 8.  Hopefully some day we will.  

• Love 1
On 4/9/2024 at 7:23 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Doesn't surprise me.  People don't want to watch Jon Snow mope; they want a satisfying resolution to the clusterfuck of Season 8.  Hopefully some day we will.  

I found the conclusion to Season 8 satisfying.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I found the conclusion to Season 8 satisfying.

I think it could have been done better, but in general I agree that it ended where it was supposed to end. I always always think of that episode of futurama where the aliens are attacking earth because they didn’t like the end of Ally McBeal. People want television shows to confirm their expectations, not challenge them.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Affogato said:

I think it could have been done better, but in general I agree that it ended where it was supposed to end. I always always think of that episode of futurama where the aliens are attacking earth because they didn’t like the end of Ally McBeal. People want television shows to confirm their expectations, not challenge them.

While we're on the subject of comparing to other shows: claiming that people who hated the ending don't want to be "challenged" reminds me of when the Buffy showrunners complained about people who hated Season 6.  They said it was because Season 6 was too dark and fans wanted the lighter tone of the earlier seasons.  But that wasn't why people hated it -- it was that Season 6 was a poorly written slog.  And in the case of GoT, fans might have accepted Evil Danny and Bran the Broken if it weren't completely rushed and half-assed the whole way.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

While we're on the subject of comparing to other shows: claiming that people who hated the ending don't want to be "challenged" reminds me of when the Buffy showrunners complained about people who hated Season 6.  They said it was because Season 6 was too dark and fans wanted the lighter tone of the earlier seasons.  But that wasn't why people hated it -- it was that Season 6 was a poorly written slog.  And in the case of GoT, fans might have accepted Evil Danny and Bran the Broken if it weren't completely rushed and half-assed the whole way.

I disagree, though. I thought season 6 was ‘the season of the witch’—not Willow, but when all the bills came due.  Everyone mistakes caught up with them. It is the only season I rewatch regularly. 

i agree that the season was rushed. But also think people like to have expectations met in television. Everyone saw Dany being hurt by her family and saw her come out of it and they missed the signs she was becoming a monster as well. But they were there. That part wasn’t rushed. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1