Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Larry Williams comes out stating literally that he hates the show:

Predictably, he is catching a lot of flack for this.  Can't say I blame him.  There is only so much heartbreak one can take.

Also, The Mountain and the Viper (the Denial Version)

Edited by Haldebrandt

Larry Williams comes out stating literally that he hates the show:

Predictably, he is catching a lot of flack for this.  Can't say I blame him.  There is only so much heartbreak one can take.

This is the first commentary I've watched from this guy. I generally liked it and agreed with him on most of his points.  I disagree with him on Arya's laugh - he seemed to think it was too cynical and inappropriate as a response to hearing about a relative's death.  I thought Arya was laughing more at the fact that the Hound (who is still technically on her death list) failed again to cash in on her. That's a subtle difference that makes me like the reaction.  Arya's also, what, 10 or 12 years old? . But I can totally see his point.  We should all be allowed to have our opinions and many of us only have the show on which to base our opinions.... which is appropriate on a site for tv shows. 

The gods forbid anyone criticize GRRM! I remember participating in usenet and AOL newsgroups in the late 90's about the first and second novels.  There were quite a few fans of fantasy and sci-fi who really didn't like the  tone of the books and seeing evil rewarded and good thwarted in a very unbalanced manner. We understood that the series was just getting underway but five years between books is much worse than waiting 9 months for the next tv season. Many, like me, decided to quit  reading until the book series was completed and then read them back to back because we couldn't tolerate being bummed out for decades to see if there's an ultimate payoff. I joked that since I am GRRM's age, I might not live long enough to know the ending. We had no idea, of course, that someone would produce a tv saga before the novels were finished. I digress but I understand this guy's frustration. 

To anyone thinking about watching the review - - Warning!! He does include a slight spoiler about future events that his bookwalker friends told him.  I wasn't bothered by it because I felt it was obvious. 

Meet GRRM competition!

Letter from George re The Prize:

Hi everyone,

It's George R.R. Martin, and I'm here to raise money for the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary and The Food Depot of Santa Fe.

If you make a small donation to my campaign, you will automatically be entered to win an incredible experience. You and a friend will be flown out (from wherever you are in the world) to meet me in Santa Fé, where we'll share a helicopter ride to the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary.

In addition to touring the Sanctuary together, we'll also have plenty of time to discuss the show, A Song of Ice and Fire, direwolves - and if there's anything you have ever wanted to ask me, here's your chance!

Thank you for supporting my campaign. I look forward to meeting one of you!

- George R.R. Martin

WOW!

Game of Thrones Emmy submissions for season 4 Wic.net article. The comments are bound to contain spoilers, so if you haven't read the books, do not read the comments under the article!

I found this one very interesting:

Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”

hmm.....

LS maybe, perhaps??!

I was thinking

children of the forest. But now I'm not sure why that came so directly to my mind.

Probably most likely be blood raven IMO.

(edited)

Wow for the Emmy noms. They submitted the season finale for writing and direction, Guess they have a lot of faith in the finale. Better get our hopes up!

I'm a little disappointed not to see Alfie Allen in the supporting actor category. I think he outperformed Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Kit Harington this season, even if he was in fewer scenes. Really hope Sophie Turner gets the nod for supporting actress this time around, but if it's anyone it'll be probably be Clarke again.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

I'd love it if Sophie Turner gets a nomination but I'm not counting on it. I'm also not counting on Emilia Clarke although she has a better chance. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that Peter Dinklage will be the only acting nomination for GoT. I do think the show will get a nomination for Drama Series, in addition to the effects/costume/makeup nominations.

(edited)

Love this review of Ep 9.

Pissed off a lot of people, but methinks it highlights some of the more glaring adaptation issues, especially when he discusses why he never thought Jon was in danger: he has to be brought down, degraded and offered false hope first, because that's what Game of Thrones does.

Edited by Haldebrandt
(edited)

I've been watching some of the Comicgirl19 reviews. I don't always agree with her about some characters or stories, but that's true for everyone I guess. She has had some big issues of her own this season (namely the Asha/Yara scene with Ramsay) but tries to keep a happy face on (perhaps because she does videos about the show that people can purchase). Her reviews vary in quality and sometimes seem a little phoned-in, but this last one had a lot of details about the battle in the books that interested me; I wish the show had included some of them, even though I did enjoy the episode.

Pissed off a lot of people, but methinks it highlights some of the more glaring adaptation issues, especially when he discusses why he never thought Jon was in danger: he has to be brought down, degraded and offered false hope first, because that's what Game of Thrones does.

It's interesting because I feel like they have sort of done this with Jon's story. 

I think most TV shows struggle to make it seem like their main characters will die. GoT kills off more main characters than most, but even they generally keep the main people around, aside from Ned Stark and some others. Most of those who die are characters who may shine or have standout moments, but are in service to the stories of others.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I don't even know why Larry Williams is still making these reviews, it seems like he hates it.

I remember back in season 1, he was super pumped like every review.

He outright stated in his S04E08 review that he now 'hates the show'. I've watched every review of his since the show started airing, but after that one, I finally thought, enough is enough.

I love the show & books and don't need to be watching reviews from self confessed haters. (Especially ones whose hate seems to derive from the show not following an arc the way they think it should...).

I heard a comment recently from a showrunner (not from GoT) who said: "If you really love a show, trust the show", which is why I get a little impatient with people who question why a storyline has/hasn't done this or that for example, rather than wait to see how things turn out, or people who spend massive amounts of time speculating every possible outcome of any given plot and then state "I hope the show doesn't do so & so and surprises me" - hilarious, really?!

So for me, Larry Williams = who?

I know there's the currently hip fad of "hate watching," but I think doing that with a show like this is questionable, because you're just going to see things that upset you all so you can go online and likely get flamed to pieces (this fandom is not a gentle one).

I know a number of people who quit watching after Breaker of Chains, and I could respect that. Just staying on and twisting yourself into knots for some Youtube hits or what have you, eh. I don't think I could do it.

(edited)

He outright stated in his S04E08 review that he now 'hates the show'. I've watched every review of his since the show started airing, but after that one, I finally thought, enough is enough.

I love the show & books and don't need to be watching reviews from self confessed haters. (Especially ones whose hate seems to derive from the show not following an arc the way they think it should...).

I heard a comment recently from a showrunner (not from GoT) who said: "If you really love a show, trust the show", which is why I get a little impatient with people who question why a storyline has/hasn't done this or that for example, rather than wait to see how things turn out, or people who spend massive amounts of time speculating every possible outcome of any given plot and then state "I hope the show doesn't do so & so and surprises me" - hilarious, really?!

So for me, Larry Williams = who?

It's not just 4E08 either.

I think in the season 3 finale he said he simply wasn't enjoying it anymore and he wasn't going to do reviews for the upcoming season. And I thought "Fair enough, I enjoy his reviews, but if he's realized they aren't fun, quality is gonna drop off pretty quick" and I quit watching his reviews then. I'm guessing some of his viewers must have pushed him into continuing.

I don't need to watch someone just hate on the show. And that's not to say I have a problem with people criticizing the show, I criticized the hell out of the show, especially for their handling of the Robb and Talisa romance. But he seems to be getting absolutely no joy out of the show, and while it might be fun to watch one review like that. it's not something that'll have me coming back week after week.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

^This. He came back this season, stating that "a relative made him realise that he should see it through". However, apparently he is quitting the show after this season - (again).

Criticism is fine, but some of his reactions are literally like watching a child throw his toys out of his pram, I have better ways to spend my time, quite frankly.

• Love 2

I have a critical love for both the books and the show so I don't mind if others don't watch with rose colored glasses and are critical. But there is a difference between being critical and being a hater. I used to really enjoy Larry Williams during the first season but I stopped watching his reviews quite a while ago.

Is anybody else here reading the "Hey, don't judge me" recaps? They are so funny! The lady who writes them is terrific.

(edited)

I personally enjoy the 'What The Flick?' recaps, they are suitable for unspoiled viewers too. Check them out.

I like What the Flick too. My favorite recap though is the Boars Gore and Swords podcast. It's two standup comedians recaping and making jokes about each episode. It's hilarious.

Edited by Holmbo

Tonight's episode contains a scene that David & Dan have been waiting to make for a decade - WiC.net article - as always, non book readers should avoid the comments below the article, as they will contain spoilers. You have been warned!

Friendly reminder: Bookreaders, if you come back to the P.TV forum to speculate about this, please ensure you are in the correct thread, we don't want to accidentally spoil anyone at the eleventh hour! Thank you.

(edited)

I've been watching some of the Comicgirl19 reviews. I don't always agree with her about some characters or stories, but that's true for everyone I guess. She has had some big issues of her own this season (namely the Asha/Yara scene with Ramsay) but tries to keep a happy face on (perhaps because she does videos about the show that people can purchase). Her reviews vary in quality and sometimes seem a little phoned-in, but this last one had a lot of details about the battle in the books that interested me; I wish the show had included some of them, even though I did enjoy the episode.

It's interesting because I feel like they have sort of done this with Jon's story. 

I think most TV shows struggle to make it seem like their main characters will die. GoT kills off more main characters than most, but even they generally keep the main people around, aside from Ned Stark and some others. Most of those who die are characters who may shine or have standout moments, but are in service to the stories of others.

Despite my issues with the show and how certain things have been adapted (which I complain about), I've consistently enjoyed Game of Thrones and look forward to each new episode.  I don't think the books are flawless either, mind you, but like almost every book, I find the A Song of Fire and Ice series better than its live-action counterpart.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

From an interview with Shae's actress: "They either say 'I love Shae' or 'I hate you' – whereas Tyrion is considered untouchable by the fans. Some fans might say Shae somehow deserved it because she's in Tywin's bed."

Yes, she has a good bead on the show's gearing the audience to worship Saint Tyrion. And that her last scene would likely be divisive.

Edited by jjjmoss

Tonight's episode contains a scene that David & Dan have been waiting to make for a decade - WiC.net article - as always, non book readers should avoid the comments below the article, as they will contain spoilers. You have been warned!

Friendly reminder: Bookreaders, if you come back to the P.TV forum to speculate about this, please ensure you are in the correct thread, we don't want to accidentally spoil anyone at the eleventh hour! Thank you.

I read the article but didn't catch what scene they have been waiting a decade to make??

Game of Thrones Emmy submissions for season 4 Wic.net article. The comments are bound to contain spoilers, so if you haven't read the books, do not read the comments under the article!

I found this one very interesting:

Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”

hmm.....

LS maybe, perhaps??!

Ok why the heck isn't Jack Gleeson here!? That doesn't make a bit of sense.

He was amazing, definitely better than Kit (though I love Jon Snow).

I have to laugh at how she just sort of looks at it like, "Why would I sit on that death pile. There's a reason I've survived so long, you silly people."

That's so cool that Rose Leslie is there even though she's off the show now.

I see Lena, Kit, Conleith Hill (?), Sophie, Maisie, Rose...who is the other guy whose head is blocked?