Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Roll Out The Red Carpet

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I definitely think Tim was not behaving impartially, but we were shown more than one instance of Swapnil "slacking off." They went on about it for a few weeks. I do think it's different than a one-time situation with Edmond when he got stuck on a challenge.

I actually think they knew about Tim's angry outburst so they created narrative in weeks leading up to it. So it would look like Tim's outburst was justified. Maybe they had the same amount of "wasting time" footage from all designers but they didn't show it as it wouldn't fit the story.

• Love 9

So fucking over Swapnil. He was mediocre-to-bad when he was there, and he's not there any more. Can't be bothered to care, really.

Agree. I'm not just over him, I'm totally over the whole Tim vs Swapnil controversy and reading about it in every thread.

• Love 8

Edmond was sunk the minute he chose that Rockettes' costume fabric for a red carpet event. He couldn't think of anything to do with it because there was nothing to do with it. I did enjoy the music over the shot of his approaching the long dress armed with scissors though.

Tim will certainly "save" Edmond, who has done some good work this season. Maybe Tim will do the home visits, and when the designers return to the workshop, Edmond will be there with his secret collection. Surprise, surprise. 

• Love 4

Both Tim and the lady at poolside told them to take risks.

Taking a risk doesn't mean creating a tacky short dress with a boring silhouette. I love Edmond, but he deserved to go. Wish he could have done something fabulous with that fabric. Underwhelmed in general by the final runway.

• Love 2

I can't think what sort of dress could have come out of Edmund's fabric that would have worked on a red carpet. Maybe a true Heidi dress for the Grammy's. Maybe. But I still disliked Ashley's more. Her fabric choice was terrible and the gown was just weird. I too am over this show unless it somehow comes back with a "throwback" type season.

My peeve:  The sob story.  "I need to win because my __________ (family member) has/had __________ disease, and I want to take him/her to Disney World."

(Not saying it happened this season on PR, but it happens a LOT on competition shows.)

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 3

I'm always interested in the designers answers to "why should you go to fashion week". I thought Kelly had a fairly good answer when she said she'd grown a lot during the competition and she wants to show them what she can do but then she pulled that old "and this is my dream". No, sorry, that is NOT a reason the judges should pick you. I'm not ragging on her since I adore Kelly and pretty much all of them say it, but I thought everything else she said was so thoughtful and spot on that it stuck out more than whatever it was the others said.

But that is my biggest pet peeve. Why should we keep you? Because I want it. WTF?

I love that all three of the others said Kelly should go with them to Fashion Week. I didn't think she'd even make it to episode one. I thought she'd get cut right away but what I love about her I that she truly is listening to what they say and adapting without actually changing who she is as a designer. How did Nina put it, something like she is refining her design or something like that? If she keeps that up I think she can make a pretty good career for herself. I won't be a client, but I bet there are a lot of young celebs who would love her stuff.

I find Candace more Betty Page than Morticia. She's got more of a 50s rockabilly style than a goth goddess style. (I'm biased because I worship Morticia Addams and Candace is no Morticia!) I think she'd be a great Hot Topic designer.

I'm mildly curious to see a plus sized runway show, so I guess I'm glad Ashley is still there maybe. I just don't care for her though. I wanted to, but she made it so hard. The streaks on her orange face with the lavender hair is just really, really off putting and makes me question her style.

• Love 4

So I thought they were going to be ridiculous but in spite of what they said, I thought the final placement was perfect. Kelly won. Candace was in the top. Edmond and Ashley were in the bottom for two frankly embarrassing dresses that showed no thoughtfulness in design and sadly, Edmond had to go for that mess.

• Love 1
phoenix780, on 23 Oct 2015 - 5:29 PM, said:phoenix780, on 23 Oct 2015 - 5:29 PM, said:

I thought Kelly's looked like something a Kardashian would wear.  Not the fashion one or the main one, but one of the others.  I like Kelly, though, so I'll root for her.  I'm not sure if I agree that her designs are more refined and whatnot, or if my expectations are just lower and the comparisons make them look better.  As in...does she seem like the best because the rest aren't so great?

I appreciated her comment about how Edmond wants this as much as she does.  I feel like that's the first I've ever heard that on a reality show, where it's usually "Nobody wants this like I do, therefore I should win."

Can the Gunn save be used this late in the game?  That seems...expensive, like it'd have to be preplanned, because you can't just up and add someone to Fashion Week...can you?  

I sort of hope Edmond gets it just because I felt like Tim steered him wrong.  And then I don't, because none of these designers muster much emotion for me (except Kelly, who I like because she reminds me of 1992).  

I'm curious to see if Ashley will actually have plus-sized models.  If she does, I'm figuring she'll get the win because of that.

If she's smart she'll use a mixture of plus size and thin models, to show a broader range of talent.

phoenix780, on 23 Oct 2015 - 8:17 PM, said:phoenix780, on 23 Oct 2015 - 8:17 PM, said:

I think that's more cultural than anything.  I grew up in the Bay Area, lived in SF for awhile.  There's a casual arrogance a lot of us have from time to time, we don't even realize it.  Comes from all the talk about how SF is more of a European city and therefore better than other US cities (especially LA, which is a water-stealing cesspool).  Plus we don't produce trash anymore, so we're kind of an evolved form of human.  (I'm kidding- though that's the origin of the attitude, I think)

Edmond's odd departure- did I hear Nina correctly when she declared this wasn't the time to take risks, while Tim was telling them they should?  Tim's bringing his B game lately, but that was way off base if it's how it happened.  

I like the dynamic between Christian and Heidi, I'd like to see him come on as a full-time judge if this show keeps going.

I've lived in SF, and it definitely shouldn't feel its better than anywhere else.  You have my sympathy, I couldn't wait to leave.  Lol

I would have liked Edmund's a little bit, if had had actual sleeves.  I'm glad Kelly was rewarded for the huge amount of work she did making the material.  I can't imagine how uncomfortable that jumpsuit must be, with all of those sewn on triangles next to your skin.  How many times on this show has a designer won 3 in a row, like Kelly did?

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

This show is utter bullshit to me at this point, Edmond has won challenges and been on top so many times, Ashley continued to go down hill and this challenge was no different. I could tell from the beginning of the episode that Edmond was going to be out just by the way the producers edited it and spent so much time on showing him trying to come up with his concept. It is so obvious that they have been jumping through hoops to keep Ashley and are probably going to name her the winner and I really do not understand why. I love this show and have watched every season but this one just screams no integrity to me, from Swapnil being paired with the pickiest producer to Ashley making it to fashion week I just can't believe how this show is so obviously biased. 

Not that I like Ashley's work (or even think she deserved her wins both times), but Edmond only has 1 more win that her (3 to 2) if you want to apply that "winners shouldn't go" logic. BUT.... she WAS in the bottom a ludicrous five times, it's true, to Edmond's two times (counting his boot as his 2nd), but it's probably really not worth worrying about, since Edmond isn't going anywhere but back home and then onto New York Fashion Week. There's about as close to zero doubt as there possibly could be short of an actual spoiler being out there. Tim shows up at the end of every episode to give his regrets. He didn't show up at the end of this one. Add it up--they just relocated the notification of the Tim Gunn save to next week.

Ashley has been ridiculously coddled, it's true. Not just by being in the bottom as many times as I can recall in recent seasons but not going, but also the whole "mean girls hate me" edit, which never made any sense at all.  And yes, they COULD pick her to win just for the Underdog story.  Although that Underdog story DOES kind of apply to Kelly From The Deli too... which might be the show plan here. A meteoric rise vs. an early spark, then mediocrity then a last minute win? The meteoric rise may be the better "storyline".  We shall see.

Edmond winning is possible too, I guess, but really his story of coming back and finally making it on, while SOUNDING like a nice Underdog story isn't really that effective of one in the end I think, because his personality isn't that interesting. And this show cares about that (far too much) which is more likely why he'll fail even if Tim saves him (like seems certain) than Ashley's presence.

• Love 5

I'm always interested in the designers answers to "why should you go to fashion week". I thought Kelly had a fairly good answer when she said she'd grown a lot during the competition and she wants to show them what she can do but then she pulled that old "and this is my dream". No, sorry, that is NOT a reason the judges should pick you. 

But that is my biggest pet peeve. Why should we keep you? Because I want it. WTF?

I find Candace more Betty Page than Morticia. She's got more of a 50s rockabilly style than a goth goddess style. (I'm biased because I worship Morticia Addams and Candace is no Morticia!) I think she'd be a great Hot Topic designer.

I can't stand that oblivious entitlement of a "reason" either.

Also agree about Candace. I mentioned her totally unoriginal Bettie Page costume before (that all the hipster girls were doing but less so now thankfully).

Edited by anonymiss

My stupid cable ran last week's show by mistake and I was spoiled by the ending. Grr.. Edmond's dress was pretty awful so I can understand the auf, but I'm bummed to see him go.  I didn't really care for Kelly's skin-tight pantsuit thing either though, and I'm surprised the judges didn't harp on the fact that she used that triangle technique before. Having said that, I'm glad she won because I like her and think she's pretty creative usually.  She and Edmond have been my favorites all along.  I'm still hoping for a surprise TG save.  I can't imagine why he wouldn't use it.  Four people have gone to Fashion Week many times.

Am I the only one who gets bored and squirmy by the "why should you go to fashion week" speeches?  Some are more persuasive speakers than others, but that has nothing to do with their design ability.  Their work should speak for why they should go to fashion week.  I just always scratch my neck uncomfortably when they go through that drill.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who gets bored and squirmy by the "why should you go to fashion week" speeches?  Some are more persuasive speakers than others, but that has nothing to do with their design ability.  Their work should speak for why they should go to fashion week.  I just always scratch my neck uncomfortably when they go through that drill.

Especially when it doesn't matter what they say because to be FAIR they have to only judge this one runway!

• Love 2

My peeve:  The sob story.  "I need to win because my __________ (family member) has/had __________ disease, and I want to take him/her to Disney World."

(Not saying it happened this season on PR, but it happens a LOT on competition shows.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you thank you. I am so over it

Let's face it - Ashley has been coddled and cuddled and excused over and over when she puts out substandard and ugly witclothing. She does every thing they usually complain about  - repeats the same design....uses ugly prints....sends out sloppy outfits...doesn't follow the "challenge"...

and yet there she is. If they want a plus size designer why not get one with talent? Or do a few plus size challenges in the season and require each of the final , designers to include at least 2 plus size designs in the "show"?

I am very sick of the cliche of sob stories and "overcoming". 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re Swapnil - I think he really pizzed off Tim, Tim the mentor, teacher, poohbah...cause Swapil is successful designer in India and was no doubt not used to the rush/compete/get schooled and critiqued pace. I think he did make his blase "I can stay in the middle and not do all the work and stay safe" attitude known to Tim and that frosted Tim to the max. JMO Tim is a lot more testy this season and also some of his advice has not been very good and he seems to disagree with the judges. 

I am hoping they bring Edwin back and I hope Kelly or Edwin wins...anyone but Ashley please. 

Edited by still hoping
  • Love 1

Not sure who'll win - remember these people picked half-bald island chick because she "LOOKED LIKE A DESIGNER" but couldn't sew.

Or way back - the girl who showed black slacks with screened white tee shirts and bowler hats?

• Love 2

To be honest, I don't think what Edmond created was that bad. I can see JLo wearing it to the Grammies.

And for some of us, the fact that JLo (or Heidi) would wear it is a sure sign that it was bad.  Too short, too tight, very sparkly, and showing boobies . . . yep, JLo and Heidi probably already have this dress on order.

• Love 3

^^Well, that's been sort of the problem this season, hasn't it?

Is this week's winner the best garment (say, Swapnil's India outfit) and the best response to the challenge (say, Swapnil's India outfit)? Or is it a Miss Congeniality prize? A good conduct metal? A tasty treat for the most improved contestant? The garment most likely to be worn by Heidi? Best constructed or most marketable when the glaring construction flaws are fixed? Or does it depend on the contestant, whether they're downtrodden enough or manipulative enough to treat Tim as if he's a benevolent all-knowing God of fashion and seek his favor or tell him a booboo sad childhood story?

Which, their show their rules, but having people with agendas make contradictory excuses for whatever they've already decided to do on a case by case basis is going to cause bad blood. And (while I love Kelly and hope for her to get the kind of opportunities out of this that would allow her to learn her trade and have a real career) I don't see any grounds to say that the remaining three are more talented or did a better job than the people who pretty much gave up because they were in a no-win situation.

Swapnil and Edmund, JMO, burned out on trying to second-guess from what Tim wanted and what the judges wanted (which were frequently two entirely different things), since they clearly weren't choosing the best-made or most creative. And that wasn't going to end well, because it's increasingly clear that what the producers wanted was for contestants they had a storyline for to move forward.

• Love 5

To be honest, I don't think what Edmond created was that bad. I can see JLo wearing it to the Grammies.

And for some of us, the fact that JLo (or Heidi) would wear it is a sure sign that it was bad.  Too short, too tight, very sparkly, and showing boobies . . . yep, JLo and Heidi probably already have this dress on order.

Edmond, is that what you had in mind for that fabric? Poor thing, he seemed totally blocked. I hope Tim saves him.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2015/10/23/1023-katy-perry-cosmo-cover-4.jpg

Katy Perry already wore it. (thanks escatefromny!)  It's so similar I wonder if Edmond had actually seen that dress and thought he could do something similar, except it was too similar I think, he should have left it longer and got rid of the sleeves at least.

Edited by dgpolo

I don't mind the "Why should you go to fashion week?" (I am not always fond of their answers though).  It is certainly a better question than the one they always ask winning olympians - "How does it feel to win the gold?" Isn't the answer obvious?  Or are the interviewers thinking someone might say, "Hmm, it doesn't feel as good as I thought it would.  I can't believe I gave up 3 hours a day and every weekend of my life practicing and training just to get this tacky necklace.  I bet it is only gold plated - if it really is gold.  And my foot hurts a little bit."

I really dislike the "Who should go with you?" question they always ask on PR.  Just once, I would like someone to answer, "I would like to go with Designer A and Designer B, because there is no f***ing way I could beat Designer C.  

• Love 12

I HATE "Why should you go to fashion week?"... it's like the teevee reporters who ask a survivor of a horrible experience wherein half their family perished, "How do you feel?"  It's obvious they want to go to fashion week because they think they've worked hard and it's their lifelong dream (even if they're only 22) and they deserve it. Just stop asking it. Pick and send them on MERIT or don't. Also, stop asking who would they take with them? At this level of the competition, feelings have been hurt and people are tired and why throw more gas on the fire??

Edmond's dress WAS the worst, but Candice's was second worst to me. It wasn't horrible or anything, but it was boring and totally devoid of any kind of creativity. Much like a lot of the other stuff she's done. Ashley's had problems, but Candice's had no imagination. In thinking on it, I would have probably sent HER home if I took the entire season and weighted that final red carpet challenge as heavily as they claimed to do. We all suspect Edmond will be saved, so I'm not really too worried about it, but Candice bugs and I'll be glad when she's off my screen. Although I'm sure she'll return for an All Stars down the road. Her fashions and "esthetic" remind me of Melissa from season 10 who kept doing the same look over and over and mostly in black, She flamed out and went down fast on All Stars.

I'm interested to see who will win, but as I said before, I don't really care as long as it's NOT Candice. And even if it IS Candice, I'm sure I'll only be mini-pissed for about 15 minutes. That's how this season ended up affecting me: I was uber excited at first, as it seemed like the designers had more talent than the last group in season 13, but as the weeks wore on, not so much.

Bring on season 15!

• Love 4

I HATE "Why should you go to fashion week?"... it's like the teevee reporters who ask a survivor of a horrible experience wherein half their family perished, "How do you feel?"  It's obvious they want to go to fashion week because they think they've worked hard and it's their lifelong dream (even if they're only 22) and they deserve it. Just stop asking it. Pick and send them on MERIT or don't.

I wish the designers would interpret the question as "Why do you deserve to go to fashion week?" or "Why would we want to see your collection at fashion week?" and give answers like "I am the only designer you have had on that enjoys making plus size fashions and you will get to see them on plus size models" or "I have a different style than the others up here on the runway with me and I think I will be best able to show you something new and fashion forward at fashion week" or "I have had the top look three times and you will be really wowed when you see what I can make when I have more than a day or two to make it."

Instead, too many of them interpret the "Why should you go?" question as "Why do you want to go?" and give answers like "I have wanted this since I was three" or "I have worked hard the entire time."

• Love 4

Something that really annoys me about Nina's recent "Positive" critiquing of Kelly's aesthetic.  Nina keeps pointing out how Kelly has supposedly "grown" and when "you edit yourself, it's a lot more refined".  The funny thing is, Kelly has been able to do this for awhile.  In the unconventional challenge when Kelly did the silver tubing dress, that was an incredibly edited-down dress.  I in fact I was surprised that it won the challenge, because I found it TOO minimalistic.  (for my tastes, and for an outfit that should win a PR challenge.)   Anyways, Kelly has been editing herself down since at least then.  She went a little wild one challenge, (the furry vest one, but because her outfit was supposed to be "Trendsetting" she did the right thing for that one.  This whole "getting better" arc happened a lot earlier than the judges are pretending.

Another version of what Edmond could have done below.  (And a design sort of like Ashley's just for interest).  But as soon as he chose that fabric you could kind of tell he was doomed.

1)  At Mood his voice was cracking and he seemed unsure of himself, even though Tim was pushing him to go forward and 'take a risk'.

2)  Once you pick an overly flamboyant fabric like that, no one will see any design.  The fabric will speak for itself and your design will get lost.  Unless you use it in a subtle, small, or thoughtful way by NOT making it the focus of your piece.

3)  I think it's great that Edmond wanted to take 'a risk'.  Unfortunately he did it in the wrong way.  He should have just done what he normally does which I feel is risky enough.  I usually really like his designs.  I'd describe his aesthetic as sleek and sexy.  If he pushed his normal aesthetic it can get fashion forward.  

4)  He was trying to take a risk in a non-Edmond way.  And he never really believed in that fabric because it just wasn't him.  Poor guy.

f66d0884d31e5b9deba8913b7aec91b1.jpg Cara_Delevingne_Paper_Towns_Premiere_Sil

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Having Christian Siriano on the screen last night only reminded long-time viewers of how far this show has fallen.

Having watched a season of Threads and likely having to recap this first season of Juniors, it made me feel like the designers were at that level. And comparing the best stuff on Threads with what they produced... eh, it wasn't that far off. 

I think Candice has been getting the asshole edit since she and Ashley clashed (which I thought was about Candice's poor leadership style and not specifically about any hostility towards Ashley).

YUP. And it's a large part of the reason Candice doesn't bother me. I see the manipulation. Everyone gives critical talking heads. And most people seem to agree with her that Ashley isn't that talented of a designer. So why is she a terrible person? Because Ashley cries all the time? Ashley cries at everything. Candice is FAR from a Gretchen. 

Edward will be back next week, I'm sure, but because Tim is a hero and not because Tim steered him in the exactly wrong direction and didn't cop to it. He'd need a lot more saves if he was going to reprieve everyone who went home over that.

For real. When the judges were calling Edmond out for being lazy it annoyed me to no end that Tim just stood there silently and didn't mention that Edmond had made a whole other dress first (unlike Ashley who was hedging her bets by making two dresses simultaneously) and Tim talked him out of showing it. 

• Love 9

I actually like Candice and her talking heads, despite the manipulative editing. She hasn't said anything I haven't thought too.

Every season it's the same thing: TPTB want viewers to see things a particular way and don't think we're wise to their tricks by now. They can't be picking contestants for talent because each year it's more and more obvious that there's precious little. Maybe no one would watch a REAL design show, but can't they try it just once?

• Love 4

I don't mind the "Why should you go to fashion week?" (I am not always fond of their answers though).  It is certainly a better question than the one they always ask winning olympians - "How does it feel to win the gold?" Isn't the answer obvious?  Or are the interviewers thinking someone might say, "Hmm, it doesn't feel as good as I thought it would.  I can't believe I gave up 3 hours a day and every weekend of my life practicing and training just to get this tacky necklace.  I bet it is only gold plated - if it really is gold.  And my foot hurts a little bit."

I really dislike the "Who should go with you?" question they always ask on PR.  Just once, I would like someone to answer, "I would like to go with Designer A and Designer B, because there is no f***ing way I could beat Designer C.

They need to add a loooooooooooove this button because that's how I feel about your post.
  • Love 3

I don't love Candice as much as I expected to after she called out Joseph's shitty behavior towards Merline, but she's not Michelle (gathering the villagers and handing them torches only to blink, in the most pathetically bad imitation of innocence I can remember, at how confused she is that people think she's hostile), or Helen (I have broken off a claw in someone's abdomen, I am so sad and frightened...) territory.

She doesn't seem to be making any attempt to hide that she isn't impressed with some of her competitors and their work in the workroom, which is always what puts me over the edge with the designated villain.

I think she makes costumes. I think there's a market for costumes, and she's already a figure in it. I think she'll do just fine, and I'm fine with that. I just don't really think she deserves a win.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

They need to add a loooooooooooove this button because that's how I feel about your post.

I intensely dislike the "why should you go to Fashion Week" and "who should go with you" questions, but since they ask them every single time, a contestant would be well advised to have a good answer prepared.  Given the lack of sleep and intense working conditions, you aren't going to have much time to come up with something after the competition starts, so think of some good talking points ahead of time that can be modified to fit the particular circumstances.  So many of them seem just to flounder and grasp for words/ideas, and that's why they usually end up sounding about as articulate as my 4th graders. 

• Love 1

Oh god yes, all of this.  Thundering applause. 

• Love 2

Taking a risk doesn't mean creating a tacky short dress with a boring silhouette. I love Edmond, but he deserved to go. Wish he could have done something fabulous with that fabric. Underwhelmed in general by the final runway.

I think the point was that 2 people told the designers to take risks only to have one of the judges say that this wasn't the time to take risks. Edmond most likely would have played it safe (because he usually does) if he hadn't been advised not to.

Of course, from what I could see, his "safe" dress was heady into frumpy-frilly, so it might not have made a difference. Also, it was HIS design, not Tim's or anyone else's. But Tim gave him very little guidance beyond "Now's the time to take a risk", knowing that Edmond is a fairly "tried and true" sort of designer whose ability to pull off a risk might be pretty limited.

I wish someone would say: "I think so and so should go because I like them best and I don't like this other person and want them GONE"

Because that's what so many people have said in talking heads. (not so much THIS crew, but many previous contestants)

Iso think of some good talking points ahead of time that can be modified to fit the particular circumstances.  So many of them seem just to flounder and grasp for words/ideas, and that's why they usually end up sounding about as articulate as my 4th graders. 

If they are smart, they listen to what the judges have said all season and pick up on the buzzwords.

"Because I've learned since I came here to EDIT, EDIT, EDIT my work" would be irresistable to these judges.

Unless of course, it came from someone whose outfits are boring, then they would need to say "I've learned since I came here to think more 'editorially' and aim for a focal point of wow factor"

Of course, if they haven't backed that up with actual progress, it won't do any good, but it beats "Because I WAAAAAAANT it SSOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for my ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!"

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

I wish the designers would interpret the question as "Why do you deserve to go to fashion week?" or "Why would we want to see your collection at fashion week?" and give answers like "I am the only designer you have had on that enjoys making plus size fashions and you will get to see them on plus size models" or "I have a different style than the others up here on the runway with me and I think I will be best able to show you something new and fashion forward at fashion week" or "I have had the top look three times and you will be really wowed when you see what I can make when I have more than a day or two to make it."

Instead, too many of them interpret the "Why should you go?" question as "Why do you want to go?" and give answers like "I have wanted this since I was three" or "I have worked hard the entire time."

I'm actually starting to wonder if in the part of the taping that we don't get to see, they get asked questions like "How long have you been dreaming of this?" and "Tell us about the sacrifices you and/or your family has made for you to get here." or "How badly do you want this?" , and then they edit those answers into the show-space right after "Why should you go to fashion week?"

It's so rare for anyone to have a legitimate reason, and it just seems so unlikely that no one would ever be able to argue a legitimate reason, that I'm beginning to suspect the editing monkeys (again)

• Love 2

In the past I've thought - well the fabric won not the design.  I've also thought - the fabric sent them home not the design.

I've also thought - we'll I guess fabric choice is part of being a good designer.

In this case Edmond chose a terrible fabric.  I liked Ashley's fabric but she didn't really use the dual element.  When she took the satin side off and replaced it with the regular fabric I think she might have tried using the other nap or something?  Or used in on the back or something.

I like them all though I don't think any of them match some of the previous seasons creativity.  If they save Edmond and have another challenge to go to 3 I suspect that its all so Ashley can go home.  Which is sad.  I loved her blue out fit and thing that would have made a MTV runway outfit without the cape.

I thought that was Kelly's smartest move and something Edmond missed - Kelly said outright - this is for a VMA type runway (not the Oscar's or Emmy's) def helped to put it in context other wise it would be totally inappropriate. Although Edmond might have had to say this is for the porn emmy's or something :)

• Love 2

I believe (or hope) Edmund will be saved by Tim as there was no footage of Tim telling Edmund to clean his area.  They just went to the next week's showing. 

That makes it virtually a lock that this is precisely what happened. 

I wanted Edmond in the final but I can´t say he was robbed, since he basically left his car open with the keys inside on a street known for car-thefts... And then, on top of that, his house-keys were in the car with his wallet and address... yeah, it was almost like he wanted to go home, his dress was that ugly. Personally though I wanted Candace gone, I thought her dress  this week was very boring, last week I hated her red dress, that color was so severe and harsh and the design looked old and it reminded me of a costume. She has never shown much creativity and that makes her just not worthy tbh, and the way she talks is also annoying to me. Kelly is a freaking design genius, even though I think she´s awfully strange, she has got talent and she´s more creative than all the rest of the cast combined. I think she´s got to get ready to kiss her old deli goodbye, people who wear clothes need her skills more than the people who eat where she´s from. I like Ashley and I think she is very unique and deserves to be in the final. I loved her red carpet dress and actually thought she would win. Yeah, I´m not very good at guessing the winner and I´m probably not that fashion forward lol but I think she is capable of doing something cool. I hope she just lets her ideas flow when it comes to making a final collection and doesn´t think too much about it.

• Love 7

I thought that was Kelly's smartest move and something Edmond missed - Kelly said outright - this is for a VMA type runway (not the Oscar's or Emmy's) def helped to put it in context other wise it would be totally inappropriate. Although Edmond might have had to say this is for the porn emmy's or something :)

Edmond should have said, "Since there were no qualifications about which awards show the red carpet would be for nor for which year the awards show took place, I designed the dress I thought Jane Fonda should have worn when she won an Oscar in 1972 for her portrayal of a prostitute in Klute."

• Love 7

I designed the dress I thought Jane Fonda should have worn when she won an Oscar in 1972 for her portrayal of a prostitute in Klute."

Assuming Edmond, at his age, ever heard of Klute, this might have been the best spin he could have put on that monstrosity.

My assessment...

Kelly's was not as wonderful as the judges said.  It looked amaturish.  Candice dress was not a show stopper but it was well thought out and red carpet worthy.  Ashley's gown was just straight up boring and I just knew she would be sent home.  however, I was very sad to say that Edmond's outfit was by far the worse one up there as the print was just jarringly horrible. 

BUT...He still deserves to go to Fashion Week as that mess-up was very rare for him and he has won the most challenges in this group.  It was also apparent that the judges really didn't want him to be eliminated which is also why I believe he will be saved.

• Love 3

Not sure who'll win - remember these people picked half-bald island chick because she "LOOKED LIKE A DESIGNER" but couldn't sew.

LOL Anya. Nobody can forget that travesty. Her name comes up pretty much anytime someone sends out a boring poorly-made outfit.

Yet they still bring her back to mentor better designers on Tim Gunn's show. FFS

• Love 2

LOL Anya. Nobody can forget that travesty. Her name comes up pretty much anytime someone sends out a boring poorly-made outfit.

Yet they still bring her back to mentor better designers on Tim Gunn's show. FFS

I wonder how much everyone involved regrets that show now.  The only person who came out of it looking like a decent human being was Nick Verreos. 

• Love 2

If they save Edmond and have another challenge to go to 3 I suspect that its all so Ashley can go home. 

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Ashley will go home before the final.

Either someone else will go home, no one will go home, or they are just toying with us by not showing Tim sending Edmond to clean up his space, making us all think he will be saved, and they will show it next week and NOT save him (just to mess with us).

Edmond should have said, "Since there were no qualifications about which awards show the red carpet would be for nor for which year the awards show took place, I designed the dress I thought Jane Fonda should have worn when she won an Oscar in 1972 for her portrayal of a prostitute in Klute."

Edmond is the only contestant I can imagine thinking things through that well when trying to present himself and his designs. Unfortunately, if he was thinking clearly enough, he wouldn't made that in the first place. He choked and therefore couldn't even think of a justification.

Or another possibility is that he is SO well prepared for this season, that when he chokes or gets thrown off his game, he just can't recover. If he is someone who really needs to feel prepared to the max and in control of as many parameters as he can, winging it isn't his forte' and neither is talking his way out of a disaster on the fly.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

Aging Goth said, "BUT...He still deserves to go to Fashion Week as that mess-up was very rare for him and he has won the most challenges in this group."

Edmund has won three challenges to Kelly's four.  Ashley and Candace each have two, with one of them being a team challenge.

Not sure it helped his career in any way, but the winner (Oscar Lopez) came off as a pretty nice guy. 

Rachel Roy has worn Oscar since his win, which makes me happy for both of them, because I didn't dislike her nearly as much as I did the rest of the judges.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Kelly - Say goodbye to the deli, honey. Whether you win or not - and I have a gut feeling that you will win, you've hit your stride at the perfect time - you will almost certainly be able to make a living doing what you love.  

I didn't love the 'red carpet' pantsuit, not my aesthetic - which is something I have said more than once watching her designs show - but it was well-conceived, artfully executed and the fabric manipulation, especially seen up close, was not only impressive, she clearly thought it through and executed it carefully. That, to me, is the point of 'working so hard'.  Overall, she has a distinctive point of view, and has turned the fact that she's 'self-taught' into a plus, by not getting overly caught up in 'but it's supposed to be this or that, or done that way specifically'.  

Candace - She has excellent construction skills, for the most part - her designs usually look well-finished - but her aesthetic has become incredibly repetitive and her allergy to color is boring. The red carpet dress was not only a repeat of many of her standard elements, it looked like something I could get off the rack in a good store. I've actually loved a few of her designs, but a whole runway show of them isn't going to thrill me.

Ashley - I've really liked some of her designs, not liked some others at all. I would like to see her pull off a good 'plus-sized' show, but would be happy to see her just pull off a good collection. Her red carpet design had some flaws - she even acknowledged them - but she was definitely going out of her wheelhouse and I thought it had some very nice elements. Too bad about the fabric a)not being as good a choice as she - and I - initially thought and b) the fact that she didn't make better use of the tactile 'magic' of it.

Edmond - He's created two or three designs that I didn't just like - I craved them. When he's on, he's great, when he's not, it's usually got some good elements and a dedication to finishing it properly, but there have been a couple of designs that just didn't work at all. Sadly, this was one of them.  I actually liked the fabric, but it clearly got the better of him. I don't blame Tim and the Best Western lady for saying 'take a risk' because the judges, nine out of ten times, are looking for that. I'm fairly sure we'll find out next episode that he got the TGS, and if so, I'll be happy.

Two general notes:

Heidi has often stood up for the 'one day you're in, the next day you're out' standard of judging, most notably during a highly contentious judging section during All-Stars when the others wanted to keep Seth Aaron on the basis of his body of work. She was overruled and Seth Aaron went on to win All-Stars that season. This time she won, and was unhappy but resolute. I admire her for this, even when the result depresses me.

Whatever my opinions of their aesthetics or individual designs, this is one of the most amiable and enjoyable 'top groups' in quite some time. Yes, Candace can be judgmental in her talking heads, but she generally gets along well with everyone in the workroom. Kelly is adorable and loved by all, Edmond has a terrific attitude and generally calm, drama-free demeanor (he lowers his head and cuts/sews), and Ashley, while perhaps a bit too much a fragile flower at times, doesn't throw fits or suck energy out of the room (JMHO). Add Merline, who I never found as irritating as some did, and who was able to moderate her energy over time, without losing herself, and Swapnil, who could be witty and certainly made no trouble among the designers, and it's impressive to me. More of this, please, and fewer Gretchens, Helens, Josephs, etc

• Love 5