Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Roll Out The Red Carpet

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

He's probably the only known designer that they can get anymore, because he has some loyalty in reserve or some such nonsense.

and he's the host of the next spinoff, yes? I'm not sure he has a choice.

• Love 5

I don't hate Candice. She's fine--her work is mediocre at best and I would have sent her last night just because she took no risk with her dress and created something boring. Plus, I don't think as a whole her designs were as good as the others' to go to fashion week, but whatever. I see why the put her there. What irks me about her is the talking heads. She comes across condescending and smug. It's not a good look. It could just be editing, but I don't love what she has to say about the work of other designers. I'm disappointed she's in the finale because I liked the other three designers way better. Maybe Edmond's dress was ugly, but at least he took a chance, as did Ashley. Candice sent down black and boring, just like she's done all season. Snooze.

I think that's more cultural than anything.  I grew up in the Bay Area, lived in SF for awhile.  There's a casual arrogance a lot of us have from time to time, we don't even realize it.  Comes from all the talk about how SF is more of a European city and therefore better than other US cities (especially LA, which is a water-stealing cesspool).  Plus we don't produce trash anymore, so we're kind of an evolved form of human.  (I'm kidding- though that's the origin of the attitude, I think)

Edmond's odd departure- did I hear Nina correctly when she declared this wasn't the time to take risks, while Tim was telling them they should?  Tim's bringing his B game lately, but that was way off base if it's how it happened.  

I like the dynamic between Christian and Heidi, I'd like to see him come on as a full-time judge if this show keeps going.

• Love 3

I'm just CHOMPING at the bit (is that the saying). As a huge fan of both Swapnil AND Edmond I need to say that one could argue that Edmond 'wasted' his ENTIRE time before Tim's visit and yet Tim was patient and super-kind and didn't start screaming and turning red, yelling to a talented but slightly confused designer, "WHAT IS THE *FUCKING* POINT?"

This is why it's incredibly easy to argue (IMO) that Tim had it out for Swapnil and had an insane bias against him.  He oddly didn't take Edmond's struggle with this challenge personally and as a display of aggressive laziness or whatever he thought Swapnil was like.

So true!  Where was the vitriol against Edmond's astounding wasting of time?  I really, really want to know the real story about what happened to make Tim (and Zac) dislike Swapnil so intensely. 

• Love 6

I would have sent Candice home. Boring as shit. Also, I still don't understand why the judges were salivating over her all season. Everything she did was boring as shit.

Kelly has a great attitude and I'm rooting for her to win. Candice is a master of passive-aggressive jabs. "Oh, you used the PLASTIC boning?" I really hope she loses, but not as much as I hope Ashley and her tears lose.

She is just so manufactured, from the tattoos to the eyebrows to the dyed black hair to the light foundation. Ugh!

Right! And little ol' Candice thinks she is just "so original" but she is just as fake, if not faker! than all those girls who walk around bleaching their hair piss-blonde and doing duck faces and taking selfies all the time. As someone else in this thread said, how long does it take her to put that face on in the morning? It is EXTREMELY manufactured - her whole persona. Kelly wears a lot of make-up to but it's her personality. I hate fake people. She is fake in her wardrobe, styling, and the way she acts towards other people. I would rather someone be bitchy if that is who they truly are then act all self-righteous like her. She also acts like she's God's gift to Earth and is just so much "wiser" than everyone. She is a year older than me. There was an episode or two before where she was bestowing her wisdom on Merline and I was like….Merline is older than you are and you are acting like she is your child. Same thing with her "opinions" towards Ashley. Ashley is only three years younger than her - that's nothing.

As someone else also said, I literally grit my teeth every time Candice talks too. Every time she starts talking, I have my finger on the FF button. 

I effing hate it when designers only use black. A lot of my work clothes are black just because work clothes tend to run in black and I MYSELF feel depressed if I wear black too many days in a row. SHOW ME SOME COLOR.

If she wins, I really might be done with this show. I don't love Ashley either but she doesn't give me irrational clawing the wall, gritting my teeth rage-ons. Kelly's dress was unique and perfect. Ashley's was nice too I thought.

If that dun dun dun dun dun dun music at the end doesn't give away a TG save for Edmund, then I don't know what would. They were essentially playing Jaws theme music. And Edmund didn't seem too shattered. He should be back. Candice should go the eff home.

Edited by BrittaBot
  • Love 6

I just didn't get the overwhelming praise for Candace's look last night. It was the exact same Morticia Addams shape she's done in every challenge all season long. And what was that fabric that made her model look like she had belly rolls? I hated seeing Christian obviously reading a script about how innovative the sheer fabric under the arms was...NOT.

• Love 4

Did not like Kelly's outfit at all. It didn't say "Red Carpet " but more of a movie costume. The first thing I thought was that it looked like something from the old movie Tron. And it certainly wasn't a dress. Yeah, it fit like a glove on the emaciated model, but I can't see anyone wearing it to the Emmy's or Oscars----maybe to the MTV Awards where the outfits are more freakish than lovely.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 6

Yeah, it fit like a glove on the emaciated model, but I can't see anyone wearing it to the Emmy's or Oscars----maybe to the MTV Awards where the outfits are more freakish than lovely.

I thought that was Kelly's point - she didn't make her outfit for the Oscars or Emmys because it's not her style. She made her outfit, envisioning it on someone like Katy Perry at the VMAs or some other music awards show.

• Love 6

So true!  Where was the vitriol against Edmond's astounding wasting of time?

Christian (and others) commented on how Edmond's could've been made in 10 minutes. And then they sacked him.

I do still think they telegraphed the save happening in the next episode, but if you want ire against his effort in this one, I'd say we saw it.

• Love 4

I'm amazed at how much better Kelly is styled now.  Either she or some PTB must have noticed.  I was one of the ones who compared her look awhile back to Boy George.  But I think she looks quite good now.

Ashley's transparent strip on her skirt was horribly unattractive.  If this is her idea of designing for the plus size woman...  Her legs looked like an old lady's who had put on stay-up hose and folded them down.

I agree with Kelly for the win and Edmund for the go.  But I also agree it's a done deal that Tim will save him and he'll go to Fashion Week.  They send 4 instead of 3 a lot, don't they?  That's 1/4 of the original lot.  Maybe they should do away with the show and let them ALL design collections for Fashion Week.  That being said, I'm so glad Edmund will be there (if he is).

• Love 1

I think there's a big difference between one guy who wasted time because he was struggling with one specific week's challenge versus another guy who was presented as having wasted time every week, not because of design block but because he was slacking off, sitting around, talking to his fellow designers and taking multiple smoke breaks.

I really liked Swapnil and envisioned him making it to the final, but if he wasted time on a weekly basis because he was bored or thought he was above the others in talent, then I can see why that would have become a huge source of frustration for the judges and for Tim. And that is a huge difference from Edmond in this week's episode who wasted time because he was completely stuck. (He never should have chosen that hideous fabric.)

• Love 6

Ashley's transparent strip on her skirt was horribly unattractive. If this is her idea of designing for the plus size woman...

On her own person? I've seen that style of skirt (years ago); I don't believe Ashley made the outfit she was wearing during the runway this week, not anymore than I'd believe Edmond designed what he wore on the runway. 

Edited by sinkwriter

I thought it was 100% obvious Edmund gets the Tim Gunn save and that all 4 of them go to NYFW! I was actually surprised when I got to the forum and others didn't see it that way. To me, if it wasn't obvious by the end, the fact that they didn't show Tim telling him goodbye sealed it. It was dumb of them not to show it, it didn't add any suspense for me and just makes them look like they are trying too hard. The only reason the judges even eliminated him is because they still had the save. If not, they would have pulled a "you're all going!" surprise. The four left each bring something different and they want them all in the finals. If I'm wrong I will eat my hat.

Agree with those who say Ashley should have done something interesting on the runway with the material. Waste of interesting textile. Also the top was pretty but ill-fitting, I disagree with Heidi that it did anything for the cleavage.

Edmund and Kelly are my top two picks, but I am happy with the final 4.

Candice and Ashley both have some maturing to do as designers and as professionals. Candice looks older than she is, so I find myself judging her for her immaturity, but j think they are both in their mid 20s still.

Not sure what Candice has against Ashley, but she seemed to prickle at Ashley ever since they were teamed up and Ashley got the friend crush on her.

I didn't really like any of the looks-- candice's was boring and cheapish looking (I have worn dresses like this myself, I didn't hate it, but it looked like something I could afford), Ashley's was ill fitting and didn't show off the fabric, edmund's was way too short and too casual, and I just wasn't a fan of Kelly's,but I did think her textile was amazing and she deserved to win.

Christian (and others) commented on how Edmond's could've been made in 10 minutes. And then they sacked him.

I do still think they telegraphed the save happening in the next episode, but if you want ire against his effort in this one, I'd say we saw it.

Not from Tim, who was the one who really reamed Swapnil for wasting time.  supposedly.  The difference in Tim's response (which I suspect was the trigger for Zac's responses) was absolutely jawdropping, to me.  Same behavior, totally different reaction.  At least so far as we were shown.  We can imagine all kinds of reasons why Swapnil was singled out for the obscenity-laced tirade, but we weren't shown anything that added up.  In my opinion. 

• Love 7

I think there's a big difference between one guy who wasted time because he was struggling with one specific week's challenge versus another guy who was presented as having wasted time every week, not because of design block but because he was slacking off, sitting around, talking to his fellow designers and taking multiple smoke breaks.

I really liked Swapnil and envisioned him making it to the final, but if he wasted time on a weekly basis because he was bored or thought he was above the others in talent, then I can see why that would have become a huge source of frustration for the judges and for Tim. And that is a huge difference from Edmond in this week's episode who wasted time because he was completely stuck. (He never should have chosen that hideous fabric.)

True enough.  Tim's and Zac's reactions seemed more personal than professional, which left me confused and wondering what on earth happened.

• Love 4

I think there's a big difference between Swapnil's situation and Edmund's. Swapnil was constantly wasting time, phoning it in, and sort of acting proud that he wasn't trying very hard. Keep in mind, for all of that behavior we saw, Tim probably saw it x10 or more. Tim takes this show so personally, I'm not surprised he'd lose his shit over someone acting like being there was no big whoop. Edmund's never exhibited that sort of attitude or behavior. He might've been confused over that last disastrous dress (too bad he didn't send the first look he made down the runway), but he was still taking the challenge seriously and doing his best. I, too, noticed, though, that Tim told him that now's the time to take risks, while Heidi said just the opposite.

• Love 6

Kelly: As soon as my model walks in. She's, like, "Hello! ! How was blah blah blah...?" I'm, like, "Take your pants off. Right now."

Nina wants to judge the designers' work, but then she shows up wearing that unfortunate dress with the neon yellow horizontal strap.

Are Aube's breasts real? That is so unfair, that she is that physically perfect. Actually, I'm surprised that she was available for Project Runway.

Candice wore a floor-length skirt and heels in the workroom?

• Love 1

What was the point of Ashley's fabric when she just used the matte gold side?  A more adventurous designer would have flipped the sequins around in a design that would have given it visual interest instead of that ugly mess.  I was surprised that she stayed, but it's obviously a stunt--Tim Gunn will bring Edmond back this week (though I was waiting for him to bring back the guy who left because his dog was dying, once he felt ready to return...)  I was extremely underwhelmed with Candice's signature look being trotted out yet again.  But Kelly is amazing.

• Love 2

Well, if Candace's dress was Nancy Kerrigan, I guess we all knew who got Tanya Harding. (Sorry, Edmund, but you know I'm right).

I expect the Tim Gunn save AND I think the TG Save is WHY they aufed Edmund instead of Ashley. Otherwise, the Save goes unused all season. Which for us is fine, but I'm sure production requires it be used.

• Love 3

I am still in shock over Candice's talking head comments--she really does have a high opinion of herself!!  She has enough self-confidence to give as much to Ashley as she needs and then have some extra to spare.  I kind of hope she goes down in flames after the final runway, just because she needs to learn some humility.  I don't dislike her, but I don't really like her, either.  

I think suddenly we're British!  I mean it's the Brits where culturally you aren't supposed to show confidence (or if you do it's automatically called arrogance!)

I kind of thought it was neat she was confident. I DID expect her saying that meant the show would "punish" her by booting her though (or rather than they only aired the comments knowing she had been eliminated), so I was surprised when she wasn't. Not that the dress was bad, but you never know when Zac Posen or Nina Garcia will turn on a dime and viscously tear something to pieces. 

I also suspect that the fact that Candice didn't pick Ashley in the horrible "pick 2 people" thing is also being bounced around the net as her being a viscous mean girl. I do sense that the two don't exactly get along, but on the flip side I do think Candice comes off as very loyal and respectful of Kelly... and Kelly is the real threat to winning the show after so many wins in a row. So if Candice was really that self-interested and self-serving, I think she would have turned on Kelly and we would have heard catty Talking Heads about her outfits.  But we didn't.  So I think the woman is just blunt, not mean.  As for the self-confidence?  As I said, refreshing to hear someone be honest, even if her dress was so safe that there might be a bit of self-delusion involved at the same time. Or perhaps it was just because both Edmund and Ashley's outfits had some dreadful elements about them, so that's why Candice came off so confident in hers comparatively.

Edmond, is that what you had in mind for that fabric? Poor thing, he seemed totally blocked. I hope Tim saves him.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2015/10/23/1023-katy-perry-cosmo-cover-4.jpg

I did find it VERY suspicous that the episode ended without us seeing Tim come into the workroom. To me that definitely communicates they're saving that for the next episode, and there's only ONE possible motive for that.

In other words, Edmond's getting saved. I can't doubt it.

• Love 3

Candace is one of those people who thinks she is very wise and deep and really is neither. She talks as though we simply must hang on to every word, because she's so damn philosophical. Really don't think so. She bugs. She is just so manufactured, from the tattoos to the eyebrows to the dyed black hair to the light foundation. Ugh!

Sorry, I stupidly did not use the quote tool correctly and I've been scrolling to see who said this and now I can't find it but THANK YOU for explaining why she grates my nerves so much. She acts like she's one of the judges or mentors. Like, calm down, you're a contestant like everyone else you seem to think you know so much more than. Please.

• Love 1

You can be confident without passively aggressively putting down your competition on camera in front of international audiences with a smile on your face.  Actually , I'm not even sure how "confidence" enters the picture with Candace.  She has a self love that is aggressively annoying.  She talks about how much she loves every single thing that she does that it is incredibly off-putting.  You can love yourself, but if I'm not in your family, I really don't need to fucking hear about it.  I think she'd be happiest at home, with a mirror.  To me, that's not confident.

That is NOT vitriol.

Not seeing how Edmond's situation is somehow "different" than Swapnil's.  It really isn't IMO -- we were shown one instance of Edmond wasting all of his time before Tim arrived just as we were shown one instance of Swapnil wasting all of his time before Tim arrived.  Yet with Swapnil Tim sputtered, screamed, turned red and yelled at a designer, humiliating him in front of everyone by screaming "What is the fucking point?" With Edmond he did nothing.  Put his hand on his chin and released a Deep Thought. And I will again reiterate that it shouldn't frustrate Tim in the least if Swapnil is wasting time.  Who cares?  You get paid what I'm sure is a fantastic wage to be some second rate second host on a second rate reality show.  Mentor.  If they listen, they listen; if they don't, GET OVER IT.  Swapnil is not the person you should be angry at.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11

I definitely think Tim was not behaving impartially, but we were shown more than one instance of Swapnil "slacking off." They went on about it for a few weeks. I do think it's different than a one-time situation with Edmond when he got stuck on a challenge.

• Love 2

It's all perspective.  Why was Edmond innocently blocked on this challenge yet Swapnil was "slacking off"?   How are shots of Swapnil smoking different than shots of Candace eating food?  Maybe Swapnil was deep in thought and 'road blocked' during other challenges too.  Anyways, I cannot argue this any longer.  Tim has lost the plot.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I was rolling my eyes when Heidi's main criticism of Edmond's dress was that she's worn it before. That hasn't stopped her from praising other short tight sparkly tank dresses that have come down the runway.

In past seasons when the judges were deliberating in the episode before the finale, the main question was often "Whose collection do I want to see on the runway?" but for some reason this year it was just "Whose design was the worst this week?" I know we have lost good designers right before the finale before (still bitter that Austin Scarlett was eliminated and Wendy Pepper was in the finale), but I was surprised that they were so set on eliminating Edmond.

I can't blame Tim Gunn for pushing Edmond to go outside his comfort zone instead of playing it safe though. In past seasons, we have heard the judges tell the designers that this is the time to push themselves and not play it safe to convince the judges that they will do something innovative and interesting for the finale. That makes it all the more annoying that the judges praised Candice for playing it safe. WTF?

While I give Candice credit for choosing that sheer beaded fabric (especially since so many designers have made terrible fabric choices this season), the rest of her dress was way too simple AND way too similar to the red/black avant garde dress she just made. From the top to the knees, it was the exact same silhouette. On top of that, the point of a corset is to create a smooth line in the bodice but her corset made her model's torso look bumpy. I also didn't like the way the top of the bodice swooped in because that area between the chest and the armpit is not what I want to see highlighted, even on a skinny model.

I get why Ashley was intrigued by the fabric she chose (I probably could have spent a good half hour just brushing the fabric back and forth with my hand) but it seemed a waste to just use the bronze color. She could have brushed a big swoosh in the front of the skirt or done something interesting with it. But I think this should also be a lesson that just because a fabric is fun to play with doesn't mean it's the best choice to design with for that particular challenge. The bronze color did look really beautiful with Aube's skin though, so points for that. Even though Nina hated the strap (and even Ashley didn't like it), at least Ashley recognized there was a problem and she did something to fix it so that she didn't let her poor model walk down the runway with her boob hanging out (unlike what's her name earlier this season with the see through top). I was also curious as to whether Aube's cleavage looked awesome because of Ashley's design/construction or just because Aube has awesome boobies. I thought the long sleeve was too much but I get that she did it to balance the other side. I just didn't like the way it looked and I kept imagining how hot that long sleeve would be on the red carpet while standing in the sun taking a million pictures.

I liked how much though Kelly put into creating her textile, and it did look really cool especially with the sheer layer on top of it, but I hate jumpsuits and hers was no exception. I hated the triangle cut out above the waist (even though I get that conceptually it mimicked the triangles in her textile). And although the pants fit her model's ass like a glove, when Zac said hers was the only design without a fit problem this week, I had to disagree. When her model walked down the runway, you could see the fabric gapping away from her body with each step. To me, that's a problem.

I hate when designers say things like "I don't usually work with color." I love black clothes for multiple reasons, but when a designer can't work with color it really makes me question their abilities. I think that the fabric Edmond chose had a lot of potential and could have been really cool if used differently. I don't think his dress itself was horrible. No, it's nothing original but neither was Candice's which has been done a million times before by everyone from high end designers to the prom section at Macy's.

When Christian said that it would take him ten minutes to sew the simple silhouette that Edmond used, I wished he had been a guest judge earlier this season whenever someone sent a tank dress or similar silhouette down the runway.

I'm pretty sure that Tim Gunn will use his save on Edmond next week so I'm not too concerned with his elimination. I was kind of cracking up when Edmond said he was disappointed in his elimination because he really wanted to show his collection at fashion week, as if now during the twelfth season we aren't aware that there are multiple non-finalists who get to show at fashion week. No, they don't get a shot at the $100K prize but they still get to show at NYFW and get lots of publicity for their collections.

I think the difference between Swapnil and Edmond is that Edmond created that ruched purple monstrosity which Tim told him to ditch. So although he did waste a lot of time trying to figure out how to use the sequined fabric, he did create something. Or did he make that purple dress after his critique with Tim? Am I thinking of Ashley's backup dress that was already partly constructed when Tim came to check on them?

She is just so manufactured, from the tattoos to the eyebrows to the dyed black hair to the light foundation. Ugh!
Right! And little ol' Candice thinks she is just "so original" but she is just as fake, if not faker! than all those girls who walk around bleaching their hair piss-blonde and doing duck faces and taking selfies all the time.

Ha, that reminds of the girls in high school who thought they were so different and unique but they were about as different as the other unique girls who were shopping at Hot Topic.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Not seeing how Edmond's situation is somehow "different" than Swapnil's.  It really isn't IMO -- we were shown one instance of Edmond wasting all of his time before Tim arrived just as we were shown one instance of Swapnil wasting all of his time before Tim arrived.  ...

IMHO, that's totally different.

While Swapnil was a kind of "arrogant" in his time managing*, Edmund was struggling, made another dress, let his B plan go when Tim told him not to go this way, was struggling again and made a lot of useless other things, like if he was afraid of using the sequined textile...

*=Leon from Below Deck, anyone ?!? :D

Really different situation, from my perspective

EDIT : not seen your post while writing mine, ElectricBoogaloo :)

Edited by Diane Mars

Otherwise, the Save goes unused all season. Which for us is fine, but I'm sure production requires it be used.

Agreed.  Meaning that Tim uses his save on whomever he's told to save.  I guarantee that if he was told 7 episodes back to use his save on Blake, that simpering little man-child would be in front of us right now.  

There are no "rules" for anybody to follow, aside from the contestants.  Unless they don't want to follow the rules.  But nobody really cares about that. 

And it shows me how disconnected I've become from this show and only pay half attention to it.  It didn't even register to me that we didn't see the Tim goodbye with Edmond. I was just annoyed as usual at the end, and flipped the channel.  It wasn't until I came in here & read the opinions that what we just watched was actually a "To Be Continued...." kind of situation.  Duh!  Makes perfect sense Edmond gets the save.  I've just lost that lovin' feelin' for this show. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Can the Gunn save be used this late in the game?  That seems...expensive, like it'd have to be preplanned, because you can't just up and add someone to Fashion Week...can you? 

They don't have to add anyone.  The Project Runway show at Fashion Week always has 6 or more designers (I think one year they had 9).  They do this because FW happens while they are still airing the show and if they only showed the finalists' collections we would all know, ahead of time who made it.  So, they have the last 6 or so designers do a collection for FW.  If you look it up online, you'll be able to see the collections of every one from PR that showed at Fashion week.

On the show, they just show us the collections of the finalists, the ones who still have a shot at winning all the prizes.

Also, the first time Tim used the save it wasn't even called the TG safe.  He used it on Michelle, who went on to win the whole thing.  IIRC Michelle had been booted and the other finalists were sent abroad for inspiration for their FW collections.  According to the story weaved for the show, Tim went to the judges after they offed Michelle and told them he thought they'd made a mistake.  So, they gave Michelle the opportunity to design a collection, but they didn't send her abroad with the others.  If the judges deemed her collection good enough, she'd get to be back in the game for the grand prize.

After that, they formally instituted the Tim Gunn save for subsequent seasons because they supposedly saw the value of Tim's wisdom, since they had offed the designer that actually had a winning collection (as an aside, say what you will about Michelle, and her personality on camera is not what I would call stellar, but that was one heck of a collection she sent down the runway that season).

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 7

^^Which Michelle flounce-feinted and whined endlessly about, because it's obviously filthy, unfair abuse to ask a designer to be inspired by New York City (I believe she chose to create a piece about dirty water, which is apparently unique to our area). Her collection wasn't bad, but JMO it was the same as her previous collection and the one after it. I think her magpie style is original, but she doesn't really do much original with it. I actually think Amanda mines the thrift shop esthetic more successfully.

• Love 3

My point about Ashley is that she should be designing clothes that would suit a heavy woman, even though she has a slim model. Her model could wear anything. There is no reason she should 't be able to come up with a gown that flatter a larger figure and also work on a model. But the gown she made to show last night would NOT have worked on a Melissa McCarthy, for example. That gown would have shown every bulge, bump, etc and the cleavage area would have been a mess, on a big girl.

I disagree that this would even be doable or possible on PR. I think they're different skill sets, and it's not "one style fits all," which is precisely what makes plus-sized designing so challenging. The accent points would be completely different for a skinny versus a curvy model, and while I'm not a big fan of Ashley's design style (especially in the second half of the season), I definitely don't think she should be designing for plus-sizes here. If she makes it to the finale, and can use plus-sized models there, to me that's a totally different story.

Ashley cannot design for plus sizes...no how, no way. She demonstrated that in the crew member challenge when she sent a peplum-adorned monstrosity down the runway which cruelly emphasized every possible flaw a full featured woman might have. It was an appalling fabric choice, the peplum was attached so as to make the poor woman look severely short-waisted, it hugged her hips in an unflattering way, and its length further cut her height.  

I wish I liked Ashley's designs more, as I keep seeing glimmers of interesting ideas and approaches, and I really like how unselfconscious she is with her own body -- I love that she wears sleeveless stuff all the time, for instance, and that's really cool to me (contrast that with Swapnil's perfectly ordinary-sized woman who would not let him even show her lower arms!). However, I've found everything she's done over the latter half of the season to be a very mixed bag -- inspired lovely moments with really terrible ones.

But I can't judge Ashley for the single plus-size outfit she made, as she admitted that she knew perfectly well that she was capable of better work, but was just blocked and stressed (it was almost identical to what Edmund just went through, again, on something in his wheelhouse). So I hope she's capable of better work -- I liked some of her more 50s/rockabilly-inspired creations over the first half of the season, and she's made some gorgeous pants. So I would be interested to see what she could do given a little more time and money. And it's definitely been an under-represented niche for PR thus far.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 5

I realize my intense dislike of Tim at the moment may be making me hypercritical of everything he says, but I had to eyeroll at his "She worked so hard!" to the judges regarding Kelly.  Just another slap at Swapnil. (Sorry, Tim, you're never gonna convince me you acted properly there).  These are adults in a results-based competition who shouldn't be getting gold stars for effort or being tattled on for not meeting someone else's expectations of effort.

Yes, Kelly was constantly busy.  But she spent most of the time sewing triangles on fabric to create a textile that was.... nice.  But nothing spectacular, IMO.  Designwise, her outfit was simply a top she'd made before paired with pants she made before.  But I guess that's not as important as "working hard." 

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 5

I can't stand Candice. She comes off as though she is somehow a "mentor" to the others or something. She never got over being the one to assign tasks or whatever, that one time after a win. She really seems to think that she is part of the judging or something. What an ego.

As much as I love Heidi, and I do, she should never say anything is too short, too tight or too revealing. She has proven that there is no such thing in her eyes. I am almost cringing over the drama of her upcoming Halloween costume...she says it is "every man's fantasy." Yikes.

Also Zac was pawing the model's breasts again! Aube, I think. I think real desingers sometimes forget there are actual human people inside the clothes. He does not seem to get any thrills from it, he just seems oblivious.

I love Christian but hate the idea of the new shows with designing kiddies. That one they tried before was terrible.

Edited by Bebecat
  • Love 3

If you go back and read the pre-show thread, the overwhelming sentiment was that poor Ashley was going to be the first one auf'd 100% because of her size. Before a single episode had ever aired. Now it seems that's flip flopped and she's seemingly only being kept on because of her size. Interesting how that's flip-flopped.

As far as the winner, I couldn't care less at this point. I don't think a single one of them is a stand out talent in any way, so I guess if Kelly wins because of most improved or nicest that's as good a reason as any.

I know many think there's a dearth of talent in the tryouts which is probably true to an extent, but I think the selection process is what has completely changed and has an even bigger affect on the lack of talent in the show.

• Love 2

Any designer who utters the words "I can't work with color" should be sent home right then and there. Does not matter what dam color your fabric is it will cut the sew the same as the black! Now if you say "I've never worked  with silk, or taffeta, or even (god forbid) polyester" THAT would make a difference. Color? Oh, hell no. Stupid excuse for mediocre work.

• Love 6

Finally got around to watching the episode. Overall, meh.

Candace: I actually thought she should have been auf'd if it was just based on the one outfit. It was pretty boring and I didn't consider it a red carpet gown. The dress seemed more "special occasion" (wedding, milestone anniversary or birthday party) to me. She really could have elevated it using the gold trim.

Kelly: Loved that jumpsuit! She should have won that round. Perfect for a music award red carpet. I would be very cool with her taking the whole thing now.

Ashley: I liked it. Should have fit better. It still doesn't make up for the last two atrocities she made.

Edmond: I actually liked his dress. Reminded me of 70s Halston. Those sleeves needed more finessing though.

Looking forward to seeing Kelly's FW collection.

Any designer who utters the words "I can't work with color" should be sent home right then and there. Does not matter what dam color your fabric is it will cut the sew the same as the black! Now if you say "I've never worked  with silk, or taffeta, or even (god forbid) polyester" THAT would make a difference. Color? Oh, hell no. Stupid excuse for mediocre work.

Thank you, that baffled me, too.

My kids loved a book called "The Rainbow Fish" when they were younger and the fish looked exactly like Edmond's fabric. I don't think there's any question that he will be back next week.

^^^This!  

I used to read the German version of that book to my son when he was little and when I watch the episode, he said "Mom, it's Der Regenbogenfisch!"

Having said that, Edmond has been on the top or safe for the majority of the season.  In seasons past, they ALWAYS take that in to consideration for the finale.  It's very suspicious that they didn't do that, nor has Tim used his save.  So, I think we'll see Edmond back.

I was not at all impressed with Ashley's dress.  I really think they just want the novelty of a plus-sized collection because they've not had a plus-sized finale collection before.  Some of her previous designs should have auf'ed her already.  I don't like it when they're obviously keeping a designer that hasn't proved she needs to be there.  I was all for Ashley until she started falling to pieces the past few weeks.  I think she needs to mature as a person and as a designer.  She'll get there, it'll just take time.

Candace's runway will be the Cruella Deville collection.  Can she do anything besides black?  Oh wait, RED!!!  Ugh :(

While Kelly's aesthetic is not my personal taste, she is very creative and comes up with some crazy ideas that actually work.  I love how real she is in her THs.  I'll be interested to see if she can pull off a cohesive collection.

I was really looking forward to Edmond's collection.  But we'll have to see if Tim uses his save or not.

• Love 5

Yes, Kelly was constantly busy.  But she spent most of the time sewing triangles on fabric to create a textile that was.... nice.  But nothing spectacular, IMO.  Designwise, her outfit was simply a top she'd made before paired with pants she made before.  But I guess that's not as important as "working hard." 

I once told my son that he could spend an entire day digging a hole and then filling it back in.  He would then have worked very hard, yet accomplished nothing of value in the end.  

My automatic response when I hear that plaintive and usually whiny, "But I worked SO haaaarrrrrrrd" is "Yes, but did that work justify what you actually accomplished?"

In this situation, Kelly did work hard creating a unique textile that she in turn used to create her jumpsuit.  The base components of the end-result fabric existed, but she had to combine them into her completely unique jumpsuit material.  To my mind, it was a worthwhile use of her time.  But that's just me. 

As with Patricia from season 11, the amazing fabric manipulation we sometimes get to see here helps keep my fiber-loving soul interested and engaged.  So I am always going to at least support the folks who don't just take whatever MOOD has to offer and call it a day. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

Was it just me or did the jumpsuit have a weird "crotch" thing happening with the triangles?  When I first saw it walking the runway, I swear it was a black triangle at just the wrong spot...lol.  Plus the lines did not match up very nicely on the front or the rear.

Just wondering if I was alone in this thought...

ETA:  Mr. Devonshiredeb has been calling Kelly Boy George since week 1....

Lol.  All of us here have been calling her Boy George too.

• Love 1

I adored Kelly's textile and appreciated her hard work which resulted in something that, though not to my taste, accomplished what she set out to do, was very well made and showed skill, talent and creativity. I'm really looking forward to her collection though I doubt I would wear much of it. I would buy something else in that fabric she created. I thought it was amazing. I just don't do jumpsuits, especially not skin tight jumpsuits with mid drift cutouts. I don't think I ever had the body to pull that off.

Candace's reminded me of my junior prom dress, though mine had long sleeves. I hated the sheer down the sides though because it made the models lake of boobs look shoved together in a weird way. The fit was great though and I'm glad she ditched the gold. I think Candace is really good at what she does, but what she does is very one note. Not excited to see her collection though I'm sure I will like a few pieces.

Ashley, I'm not a fan. I think she's really overrated. I remember little of what she's done up till now but as for this outfit, seen it plenty of times on the red carpet done much, much better. She was in over her head on this one. I give her credit for realizing that but I think she got lucky Edmund totally lost it this challenge.

Edmund, Edmund, Edmund...tragic. He was so obsessed with that fabric, interesting that the bottom two were both designers that put the fabric before their design, that he lost his design. That fabric needed a very basic design done impeccably. Unfortunately, he couldn't come up with anything until the last minute and ended up with something sloppy and uninspired.

• Love 2

I'm a little confused why everyone is calling Kelly's look a jumpsuit? I thought jumpsuits were one piece?

Any designer who utters the words "I can't work with color" should be sent home right then and there. Does not matter what dam color your fabric is it will cut the sew the same as the black! Now if you say "I've never worked  with silk, or taffeta, or even (god forbid) polyester" THAT would make a difference. Color? Oh, hell no. Stupid excuse for mediocre work.

I can actually understand why a designer would say this. There is, what they call an 'eye' for color, to know what color to use (for their models, in this instance) and what colors to use together. I think of Mondo and the prints he would choose, they would seem like they wouldn't go together but somehow he (mostly) made them work. I imagine there is also color choices to be made for certain 'looks', I'm nowhere near a designer and can't hold a color in my head worth a damn, if I need to match something I need to bring a sample with me. Other people can keep colors in their heads and be able to know what matches or contrasts well.

So the judges get upset with Edmond for taking a risk, and they get upset for Candace for playing it safe.  

This is, first and foremost, a TV show and the goal is to get people to watch it.  I can see how it would be important for them to have as much variety as possible in the Fashion Week collections that get shown on TV.  Though Ashley has been on the bottom many times, she would have had to be absolutely horrendous to not make it to fashion week.  I think she is the only designer in the history of PR that would want to do a plus size collection at fashion week.  

Is fashion week essentially the same time every year? ( are there two? Spring/ fall or something) like a known entity that could therefore be scheduled around?

I know it is a lot of schedules to coordinate with Heidi and Tim and the jusges... But seriously... Why not readjust the schedule so the designers can have a decent amount if time for their collection and not need a billion decoy collections since fashion week is at the end if the season... It would give being top three a lot more meaning.

Based on my 2 minute search, Fashion week was September 10-17, 2015.  Not at the end of the PR season.  Lifetime apparently wants the finale to be during a sweeps month (November).  

How did Ashley luck out in getting Aube every week? I remember the good old days when designers could steal models away from each other, and it was fun to get to know the models a little better. I even liked the short-lived follow up series that was just about the PR models.

Aube is a great model, but I am not sure that most designers would want to design for Aube's curves.  There have been plenty of comments over the years by designers not knowing what to do with "boobies." There is a reason why most models are stick thin. Actually, given how thin most models are, the fact that Aube has breasts makes her the closest thing to a plus size model the show has (she is in no way plus-size, of course)

I'm definitely disappointed that Edmond isn't advancing and Tim didn't use his save. I guess I'll hang onto hope that it can happen at the beginning of the next episode? Not sure if that's truly possible, they make it sound like it's a runway save, not well after the fact.

I don't remember the prior seasons nearly as well as many other posters, so I may be wrong on this, as no one else has mentioned it, but I thought that there was one instance where the designer got her final hugs and was told by Tim to pack up and then the next week started off with Tim making an announcement in the workroom that he felt bad ever since he sent her home, so he decided to use his save and bring her back.  

Re: everytime Heidi said 'anonymous runway show' I took that to mean the judges didn't know who designed what came down the catwalk. But the designers had the same models every week. Ex: Aube was Ashley's model so when the judges saw Aube they knew this was Ashley's design.

I think Heidi is using "anomymous" in its simplest definition - no one told the judges the names. There is no way they don't know who designed what this late in this season.  

Edited by needschocolate

My automatic response when I hear that plaintive and usually whiny, "But I worked SO haaaarrrrrrrd" is "Yes, but did that work justify what you actually accomplished?"

It bugs me when participants in any reality competition think they deserve to win because they worked harder than anyone else.  

It also bugs me when they think they should win because they want it more.  It is impossible to know how much someone else wants something unless they say "I really don't care if I win" and even then you can't be sure, unless, maybe, they say that to the judges.  

My third peeve is when contestants say that they are sorry to go, but if they had it to do all over again, they wouldn't change a thing.  Really?  You want to stay in, but, even if you knew something would get you sent home, you would do it again?

• Love 6

My third peeve is when contestants say that they are sorry to go, but if they had it to do all over again, they wouldn't change a thing.  Really?  You want to stay in, but, even if you knew something would get you sent home, you would do it again?

YES!  My biggest peeve.  

I think Heidi is using "anomymous" in its simplest definition - no one told the judges the names. There is no way they don't know who designed what this late in this season.

They might have been confused on this one.  I bet they thought Ashley did Edmond's dress.   That was so out of character for him, they probably immediately dismissed the notion that it could be his.  

They knew Kelly's immediately and Candice's could have been either hers or Edmond's.  

So the judges get upset with Edmond for taking a risk, and they get upset for Candace for playing it safe.

I think their upset was about him creating something so simple that has been done so many times before.  They were shocked.  It was clear to them that he choked.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Edmond's odd departure- did I hear Nina correctly when she declared this wasn't the time to take risks, while Tim was telling them they should?  Tim's bringing his B game lately, but that was way off base if it's how it happened. 

Both Tim and the lady at poolside told them to take risks.

So true!  Where was the vitriol against Edmond's astounding wasting of time?  I really, really want to know the real story about what happened to make Tim (and Zac) dislike Swapnil so intensely. 

Without knowing anything more than what we were shown, I'd say that it was unusual for Edmond to be so stymied, where Swapnil had a pattern of supposedly taking "too many" breaks. Edmond was also in the workroom trying to come up with an idea, not doing other stuff instead of working. My guess is that they view spinning in circles being "stuck" differently from leaving the work area and not appearing to be putting in effort.

Fair or Unfair, it's actually how the real world work scene operates. You get more credit for doing nothing at your desk than you do for brainstorming while sitting under a tree having a smoke.

• Love 7

This show is utter bullshit to me at this point, Edmond has won challenges and been on top so many times, Ashley continued to go down hill and this challenge was no different. I could tell from the beginning of the episode that Edmond was going to be out just by the way the producers edited it and spent so much time on showing him trying to come up with his concept. It is so obvious that they have been jumping through hoops to keep Ashley and are probably going to name her the winner and I really do not understand why. I love this show and have watched every season but this one just screams no integrity to me, from Swapnil being paired with the pickiest producer to Ashley making it to fashion week I just can't believe how this show is so obviously biased. 

• Love 8