Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Roll Out The Red Carpet

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I was looking forward to seeing Edmonds collection. I knew they were carrying Ashley along and that she would be in the final, no matter how amateurish her clothes have been. I would like to see a nice plus size collection, but I don't see Ashley coming up with anything innovative.

Heidi spouting about they had to be fair was bullshit. It was trying to justify screwing Edmond to get Ashley in. Disgusted.

• Love 7

Kelly did well in spite of her model, who has poor posture and slumped shoulders, and made the outfit look dowdy. Ashley has done well for the most part because of her model. Aube, as was once said about Marilyn Monroe, could make a potato sack look good. Her body be bangin'. She's an asset you don't want to lose. Makes me nostalgic for prior seasons of PR when the winner got to keep his/her model or steal someone else's. 

I'm also convinced Edmond will be saved by Tim next episode. It was just too weird not to have the closure of Tim saying goodbye, and best wishes. They wouldn't send Edmond out like that because he's been a gentleman all season, and took his aufing graciously. He will be rewarded for his body of work.

• Love 13

My DVR cut off the ending again! Did Tim not save Edmond?!? And WTF with the judges liking Ashley's C3P0 dress? Fuck, that was awful.

ETA: ok I see from other posts that we didn't see Tim at the end. Now I'm sure that next week's show will open with the TGS.

Also forgot to say...Kelly FTW!

Ha! C3P0 dress! Maybe Ashley is working on a theme - could that have been an R2D2 cape last week? 

• Love 1

I hate all of these saves or last chance kitchens or whatever other bullshit reason they come up with for bringing someone back. Once you're out you are out... everyone has to lose at some point. Using the TG save for the finale just sounds stupid.... you got eliminated, but here's your ticket to fashion week anyway!

Well, he already had a ticket to fashion week. There were 6 collections shown because of when fashion week occurred in the airing schedule of the show. So if he gets saved, it just means his collection gets shown on tv.

What I find annoying is this annual "wink, wink" game of "going to fashion week" when we all know that the last few eliminated designers end up going anyway. Anyone remember what's the MOST number of decoy collections that happened? Wasn't it around 9? And yet they still spend the entire season acting and talking like only 3 people show at fashion week.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 12

Is fashion week essentially the same time every year? ( are there two? Spring/ fall or something) like a known entity that could therefore be scheduled around?

I know it is a lot of schedules to coordinate with Heidi and Tim and the jusges... But seriously... Why not readjust the schedule so the designers can have a decent amount if time for their collection and not need a billion decoy collections since fashion week is at the end if the season... It would give being top three a lot more meaning.

As others here have said as well, I have figured Ashley was a lock for the final 3 for awhile now because she is a designer for plus size models.  

And since Fashion Week has already happened, it's clear the producers/Heidi made a good decision in doing so since Ashley's collection using plus sized models got tons of press here and around the world.

I think Ashley was going to be Tim Gunn's save at whatever time she might have had to be let go.  Since Edmond's dress was, admittedly, the worst dress on the runway tonight, he'll get the save instead so they can continue the fiction that they make decisions based on the runway of the day regardless of the body of work.

• Love 5

And what happened to her so-called designs for larger women?? There are several stars she could have designed for, i.e Melissa McCarthy, that woman from the Glee Type movies (?) and the black woman who now has a role on .empire, Gabrielle S. Just to name a few. She is a hack, Imo.

There are several stars she could design for, but none of them are modeling on Project Runway. She has to design for the model she has.

Ashley was the one that had a plan B, in case Tim didn't like her main dress.  She even started constructing it, and Tim told her to ditch it.

That kind of defeatist attitude marks her as just a seamstress, not a designer. 

Since Edmond made two, as well, there's not much of a difference between the two. Well, except for the fact that I thought Ashley pulled hers together, and Edmond didn't.

Edmond choked. THAT is what choking looks like (not that time everyone said Ashley "choked"). But to be honest, he's had trouble with fabric choices all season, starting with that god-awful yellow skirt in the challenge with Hanmiao. (didn't he choose the totally unsuited to bathing suit material also?)

Yeah, I like Edmond well enough. I don't think he's a spectacular designer, though. He's had several mediocre designs over the season. I was strongly in favor of either him or Ashley, since I think both are very hit-or-miss. As long as Candace and Kelly made it, though, I was good. The other two were 6 of one and half-dozen of the other.

• Love 6

Meh, I wasn't impressed with anything that made it down the runway tonight. This season overall has been kind of lackluster for me. I don't really think Ashley needs to be there. Her last couple of designs have been underwhelming but whatevs.

I do like Edmund a lot and I think he's a genuinely positive and sweet person but that dress he made...oof.

And Heidi's "we have to be fair" hemming and hawing...ok girl. 

I think I may be kind of over this show. Which bums me out; I've been watching since the Bravo days.

• Love 7

Oh, Edmond. Nothing says red carpet like an ABBA dress rendered in shave ice tones—and I do mean nothing. But I have more residual affection for him than Ashley at this point, so bring on the inevitable save and let's wrap this thing up already.

• Love 19

So my mom was over tonight, sat down and watched the previously from last episode, looked at me and said, "Ooh, looks like Boy George" and sung some Karma Chameleon.Of course I was rolling when I realized she's totally right and I'm embarrassed I didn't see it before, because Kelly absolutely looks like Boy George from certain angles depending on how her hair is styled and now I can't unsee it.

I'm definitely disappointed that Edmond isn't advancing and Tim didn't use his save. I guess I'll hang onto hope that it can happen at the beginning of the next episode? Not sure if that's truly possible, they make it sound like it's a runway save, not well after the fact.

Anyway, my main problem with this episode is using the phrase "Red Carpet" and nothing else. As much as Edmund's look was a miss for me tonight, I'd put him in 3rd not 4th if this was the Red Carpet for the Grammy's, VMAs, or any other music award show. I'd put Kelly's look lower for anything that isn't a music award show and I'd put Candice's higher for a movie or TV award show. "Red Carpet" is way too generic and doesn't provide a good baseline for what the judges are expecting to see. I think focusing the challenge would have been better overall because the looks felt uneven. I think the looks for the most part looked like they could be at completely different red carpet events.

At this point, I'm rooting for Kelly from the Deli to win it all. I'm unclear on how Ashley has made it into the final 3 with the number of misses she has and I'm truly not on board with the judging that doesn't take into account the season as a whole. This isn't a Wendy Pepper egregious type of advancement in the least, just yet another time when I'm wishing they would realize that they can pick a winner for this final regular runway and then select a top 3 to advance to Fashion Week independent of that win.

• Love 6

Candice was unnecessarily bitchy in her THs.

I want to see Ashley win for no other reason than to wipe the supercilious attitude off of Candice.  Her critiques are beyond annoying, particularly since everything she makes is the same Goth pin-up girl she has been doing since day 1.

• Love 21

Didn’t like Ashley’s, because I hated the top, didn’t like Kelly’s because it looked like club wear, I thought Candice’s was OK, but a little simple, and as for Edmond, when I saw his dress come down the runway, Heidi Klum Barbie was all I could see.

When the judges were looking at Candice’s gown & Nina said “and she was very strategic because this was not really the moment to get creative & go crazy”, all I could think of was when Tim was talking to Edmond in the workroom & Edmond was talking about how he didn’t know whether to use the sequined fabric or play it safe with the other gown & Tim said “I think you answered your own question” & then told him “fear never conquered anything, so don’t be afraid of it”  Tim tells them one thing in the workroom, then the judges judge them completely opposite. It’s not fair to the designers, & it really pisses me off.

I was surprised that Ashley wasn't eliminated so Tim could save her, but I think that next week is going to start off with Tim telling Edmond that he's saving him so there will be 4 designers (that we see) showing.

• Love 16

Do these judges see what everyone else can see ashley is not a fashion designer the clothes she designs I wouldn't let my grandmother wear.Edmund dress was far out this week but overall he had some nice clothing one bad design he gets booted ashley designs went from terrible to not to bad this week and she moves on. This show is a joke.

• Love 4

Okay, for me the most confusing moment was when Heidi was criticizing Edmond's dress for being "too short". Yes, she actually said that. I believe that my mouth dropped open as I so thought that Edmond was designing what he (and I) thought would be right up Heidi's alley and that she would save him. I was so not happy after Edmond was auffed, but as soon as the show ended without Tim coming into the room and telling Edmond that he had to go and pack up his supplies, I started suspecting that Edmond will be saved next week. I certainly hope so as he is my favorite.

Much discussion about Ashley designing for plus sized women. However, my question: is this what she wants to do or has she already done this? I really don't know if she is able to design for any sized woman let alone a plus sized woman (of which I am one). Her most successful designs have been very simple and in my view would not easily translate to plus size clothing. I think it's the idea of Ashley that the judges are pushing, not what Ashley actually does.

I am so over Candice's confessionals and interactions. She reminds me too much of Gretchen who identified herself as everyone else's mentor (although Candice is not as much of a mean girl). I also find her looks very redundant of previous looks.

We shall see...

• Love 4

I went to bed furious, especially when they "suddenly" remembered Heidi's in/out caution. NOW they decide to abide by that? Now?

Then I woke up with two thoughts canceling out last night, one of which I can offer in this thread. Having Christian Siriano on the screen last night only reminded long-time viewers of how far this show has fallen.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 8

I think it's the idea of Ashley that the judges are pushing, not what Ashley actually does.

Exactly.  She's this season's poster child, and she's dyslexic too.  And was bullied.  And is forced to use bad makeup.  Whatever disadvantage exists, she's got it.

The judges are treating her 180 degrees from fat shaming, They're fat elevating. Giving her way more credit than she's due and bending over backwards to appear unbiased and non-judgmental.  Idiots. 

I can only imagine The Siriano sitting there thinking   "WTF?  Did I come on the right show?  What IS this crap?"  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 13

That is the suckiest suck that ever sucked.  Edmond was straight up robbed. That no-talent child does NOT deserve to be there over Edmond. 

Why didn't Tim use his save?  Gunn is dead to me now.

S8KLlJH.jpg   "Mr. Wonderful" and I agree with you about Tim...  especially after advising Edmund to ditch the "safe" purple alternate gown and stay with the jewel-toned disco ball garment.   It may have been a "seen before" dress, but it would have been constructed better than Ashley's poorly fitting bodice. She "designs" for the plus size woman?? Not with some of the fabrics and styles she's used thruout this competition.  Bad call, all around !!

• Love 3

I didn't stick around for the judging because I didn't like anything that came down the runway last night. Shocked to find out here that Edmund was "eliminated" but as many have already said, he'll likely be saved. He did say early in the episode that he was going to "channel Merline" and he certainly did, down to Tim calling after him to get to the runway. Nothing about anything Edmund did last night seemed like something he would do...'tis fishy.

• Love 2

I am pissed! Ashley should have gone home, not Edmund!

I cannot like this comment enough.

I am calling BS on Heidi's "we have to be fair and rate just this runway" .... um, lady, when have you ever have stuck to the 'rules' before?  I call it "unfair" that Ashley even made it this far; she should have been shown the front door weeks ago.  After a few nice pieces early in the competition her work really degenerated (as opposed to Kelly's whose work has gotten stronger) and she needed Tim to hold her hand through each challenge.

If there was ever a need for a Tim Gunn save, this is it.

That said, I am glad Kelly made it to the finals and (barring a Edmond return) rooting for her to win.

If they don't give Edmond the Tim Gunn Save I will be shocked because the last five minutes of the show was absolute terribly clunky foreshadowing of it. Plus there are no group shots of the designers in the preview for next week. And we didn't see Tim tell Edmond to pack up his stuff.

I'm hoping you're right (I suspect you are) ........ I was wondering why, if it was so "difficult" to make a decision between Ashley and Edmond they didn't have one oft their "sew-offs" or let each create a mini-collection prior to the finale?  They've done that in the past.

• Love 5

I'm fuzzy about what happened in which season, but I remember more than once Heidi clapped her hands with happiness and said, "We can't decide!  You're ALL going!"  Other times, they were "all going" but then when they returned with their racks of clothes, there was a horrible surprise last-minute elimination.

So this whole Time Gunn Save is just so much transparent bullshit for the sake of more manufactured drah-ma.  Please.

And now we have to have that whole episode of Tim traveling around, having a nosh with the relatives.  Get on with it already!  You seriously owe me this Fashion Week Finale.

Which I am really looking forward to!  Will Candice have a dozen black outfits featuring leather, bustiers and lacing?  What's that wingnut, Kelly, going to come up with?  Can Ashley please PLEASE make one fashion-forward plus size garment that's flattering and isn't made of some hideous print?

• Love 13

Much discussion about Ashley designing for plus sized women. However, my question: is this what she wants to do or has she already done this? I really don't know if she is able to design for any sized woman let alone a plus sized woman (of which I am one). Her most successful designs have been very simple and in my view would not easily translate to plus size clothing. I think it's the idea of Ashley that the judges are pushing, not what Ashley actually does.

She actually has, although her website does not contain anything now. But it did. I swear I saw designs there earlier in the season.

So, why blame this on Ashley? They didn't give her a plus sized model. She couldn't do what she's known for. I don't think they really care about her point of view in terms of fashion. They just want to look good by including her.

Ashley can't be blamed for Edmund's pseudo-auf'ing either.  He picked that disco ice dancing fabric.  He wasted a day staring at it.  He produced a "red carpet" look that was best suited to the love child of Donna Summers and Twiggy.

Edmund's being on the bottom was on HIM.   Yes, he's talented, but he didn't show that this week.

• Love 16

I call BS on Ashley's statement that now she'll get to fulfill her dream of having a plus-size collection. She had a chance to show her expertise in the area two challenges ago with the crew member's makeover and failed miserably.

Also, I blame Tim Gunn for Edmund's stumble. How many times this season has Tim steered designers wrong? More than in season's past, for sure. I'm over my TG admiration...first the hissy fit with Swapnil and now nudging Edmond in the wrong direction. Boo!

Guess the script called for a final three of women only: maybe we'll let Edmund be "saved," only to fail against Kelly in the finale. Designer who's wanted to be on PR since the beginning vs. Designer who just got her head together... great plotline

• Love 7

1. I think the fix is in for Ashley to telegraph their commitment to diversity.

Ashley's dress might be fabulous if it was glued onto a woman with no breasts to wear on the runway. I agree with whoever above said that they'd spend the night looking as if they'd wet themselves once they'd sat down in it. 

I think Candice has been getting the asshole edit since she and Ashley clashed (which I thought was about Candice's poor leadership style and not specifically about any hostility towards Ashley).

That said, Candice's own stuff is pretty RTW, although it's RTW for a wench wayre catalogue. Not an expensive wench wayre catalogue, either. And this week's dress wasn't just 'safe,' it was a tube with Kelly's detailing from last week stuck on top.

Edward will be back next week, I'm sure, but because Tim is a hero and not because Tim steered him in the exactly wrong direction and didn't cop to it. He'd need a lot more saves if he was going to reprieve everyone who went home over that.

I think it's not unlikely that Kelly will win, not because she has the best show but because she's most likable and most improved. That doesn't bother me.

• Love 4

Okay, for me the most confusing moment was when Heidi was criticizing Edmond's dress for being "too short". Yes, she actually said that. I believe that my mouth dropped open as I so thought that Edmond was designing what he (and I) thought would be right up Heidi's alley and that she would save him. 

It wasn't QUITE a Heidi dress.  Yes, it was short and sparkly, but there was too much coverage of the arms and not enough "boobies" showing.  Heidi likes to show more skin than that when she's in a mini.

• Love 6

Exactly.  She's this season's poster child, and she's dyslexic too.  And was bullied.  And is forced to use bad makeup.  Whatever disadvantage exists, she's got it.

The judges are treating her 180 degrees from fat shaming, They're fat elevating. Giving her way more credit than she's due and bending over backwards to appear unbiased and non-judgmental.  Idiots. 

While I don't love most of her work thus far, I don't understand where Ashley's weight comes into her design skills -- I certainly disagree that the judges or show are "fat-elevating" by keeping her in.

Ashley can't be blamed for Edmund's pseudo-auf'ing either.  He picked that disco ice dancing fabric.  He wasted a day staring at it.  He produced a "red carpet" look that was best suited to the love child of Donna Summers and Twiggy.

Edmund's being on the bottom was on HIM.   Yes, he's talented, but he didn't show that this week.

Agree 1000%. That dress was mind-bogglingly awful, by far the worst of the bunch -- so bad that the judges didn't even pretend to waffle over who to send home. I do hope Tim will save him next ep (and hopefully rescue Edmund from his temporary insanity this episode).

I was surprised to like Ashley's on the runway more than I expected to. I thought it was a bit tortured on top, but still elegant, and that the bottom half moved beautifully on the runway. The bronze color also looked smashing on her model.

Also, I blame Tim Gunn for Edmund's stumble. How many times this season has Tim steered designers wrong? More than in season's past, for sure. I'm over my TG admiration...first the hissy fit with Swapnil and now nudging Edmond in the wrong direction. Boo!

Tim's actually had a better track record than usual this season, and ironically, directly contributed to Kelly's win with his advice to her to make something that was more "her." She directly decided on the jumpsuit only after her meeting with Tim.

As far as Edmund, while I hated that horrible fabric, I did feel that Tim's advice was decent, especially as Edmund responded by saying he wanted to something sleek, modern, and dramatic (versus the poofy fluffy ruffly thing he had going on the other dress). I think the fabric could have worked if he'd done a very sleek-lined, straight, long red carpet gown. (But seriously, that fabric to me was just the Worst.)

• Love 9

I call BS on Ashley's statement that now she'll get to fulfill her dream of having a plus-size collection. She had a chance to show her expertise in the area two challenges ago with the crew member's makeover and failed miserably.

All the remaining designers, including Ashley, will get to show us what they can do without the stress of a one day deadline.  I still wish Swapnil hadn't melted down, but other than that, these are the four designers from whom I'd like to see more.  Each has an interesting perspective (goth-ish, retro, club kid, not sure what to call Edmund's).  Each had one or more points in the contest where they had brain farts and didn't come through the way they could have.  Now, given a bit of time, we'll see what they're really about.

Tim Gunn isn't to blame for Edmund's disaster.  His advice to shoot for the moon was correct.  Tim was also correct in saying that Edmund's raspberry parfait of a back up dress wasn't the way to go.  Edmund chose his fabric, wasted his time, and was unable to pull off a miracle this week.  That's on him.    Swapnil deserved a kick in the slats.  He has a lot of potential but melted down, probably from the pressure of the short challenges.  He's basically the mirror image of Kelly, who arrived looking like she may or may not belong in the contest but ended up thriving and growing over the course of the weeks (even if I think some of her designs were hideous even though the judges loved them).   Edmund and Swapnil are grown men responsible for their own decisions.

• Love 6

Inside Edition lady introducing the challenge:  There are 3 things we look for in a red carpet look, color.........

Candace:  I found black fabric, and then some more black fabric, and then another black fabric.

Gah!

I'm team Kelly all the way, especially after her hilarious talking head about making it sound like she owns the deli.  I would never wear anything she designs, but she has a definite point of view that is fun and creative and different from what usually gets rewarded on this show.  She's the one I can see making the most of a win.  

• Love 12

Ashley's construction was good.  I just wish the fabric were a solid bronze lame or velvet or silk.  The flip-side silver sequins would be a total nightmare to wear.  It may photo well, but sitting or bending just once will leave bumpy track marks all over it. 

Kelly's was cool and different and would work well for a music industry red carpet.  I liked that she thought beyond Oscars or Emmys.  Her stock is on the rise if Ms. Garcia can admit to seeing Kelly's talent. 

I just cannot stand Candice.  My dislike of her is becoming irrational...I tense up and clench my teeth when she's giveing us one of her superiority TH's.  Is she auditioning for a mentor or judge's role on this show?  Why do the producers keep asking her to bestow her wisdom upon us every week? Her faux humility and ass kissing is like naile on a chalkboard to my ears.  And I'm glad the judges called her dress "safe".  It was also derivative and repetitive and done 100 times before.  The spider web effect of the black sequin lines across the sheer netting has been worn by most of the evil characters in every Disney movie.  I wish the rules for Fashion Week were that the designers can't use/reuse the same trope used in the competition.  So if you've already done a corset more than once, NO CORSETS in your final collection.  You made sweetheart  bustiers for half the show?  NO MORE!  As others have mentioned, I already know what to expect from her final collection.  It will be a parade of Morticia Addams' slinking down the runway in black leather, black satin, black vinyl, black neopryne and black tulle. 

Edmond will be back.  And as long as anyone but Cand-ASS wins, I'm OK with it.

• Love 10

Calm down, fans.  No way Tim Gunn isn't going to save Edmund.  They reminded us at the beginning of the episode that Tim hasn't used his save.  We never saw him tell Edmund to pack his knives and go. 

It's going to come down to what kind of looks they decide to include in their collection without the parameters of specific challenges.  This might be a problem for both Candace and Kelly, who get somewhat self-indulgent when it comes to design.  They both tend to confuse editing themselves with being too safe.  Ashley doesn't need to be reined in because she's just so not out there, and Edmund excels when the clothes are more conceptually traditional. I still think Edmund's got a very good chance of winning this.

• Love 5

To be honest, I liked Edmond's "sequence" fabric better than Ashley's. (Seriously, I thought it was just that one idiot drag queen on Drag Race who called it that) Edmond's had some nice color to it, and I rather like when designers actually use color for a change. But Ashley's fabric was terrible. It wasn't even great as the matte gold by itself, but if you touch it, it gets all silvery like mold or something and it just looked awful. Edmond's dress wasn't great, but I liked it better than Ashley's.

Also, when he kept cutting it shorter and shorter, I was like, "Heidi's going to eat this up with a spoon! It's too short, shows cleavage and full of sparkles!" So I was a little surprised she didn't immediately rip it off the model to wear right that moment. Although when she declared that this was a dress she'd not only seen before but WORN before many times, I guess that was it. Oh well.

Still, that ending wasn't even subtle in telegraphing Edmond being saved at the beginning of the next episode by Tim. I always thought the Tim Gunn Save expired like the immunity did. But they kept mentioning the save right up to the end of this episode, so for whatever reason, it's still in play. And after Heidi spouted off all that BS about how they have to play "fair" and go by the "rules" I was like, PUH-LEEEZE. And trying to turn it into a cliffhanger? We've seen your show before, Project Runway. We KNOW how you play. I feel like the last few seasons at the final challenge the judges have been like "We can't decide… you ALL get to go to Fashion Week!" So when Heidi made all that noise about how they HAD to eliminate someone, it was clearly setting them up for Tim to save. Plus, Emdond's final talking heads about being eliminated were WAY too happy. He's a good designer, but clearly not a good actor! :D

I originally liked Candace and thought she was very talented, but now I see that she's a one-trick-pony who only works in one color (if you call black a color) and actually has kind of an off-putting arrogance about her. I'd originally wanted Kelly to go to Fashion Week because I thought her collection would be a burst of color (Because Candace will be black and Emdond will be some kind of silver/white monochrome crap or something) and would also be a lot of fun, visually. But halfway through the season, Kelly kind of emerged as a legitimately talented designer with some great ideas and impressive skills. So now I'm hoping Kelly From The Deli takes the whole thing!

GO KELLY!

• Love 8
Can Ashley please PLEASE make one fashion-forward plus size garment that's flattering and isn't made of some hideous print?

I honestly don't think she can.  And as a plus sizer myself, I'm bummed about it for the same reason I'm bummed about the state of mass market plus size clothes in general- because she's going to produce the first plus size PR line, and she's going to produce utter crap, and then those two things will be synonymous in many people's minds.  Which is a shame.  

I've always hated that plus sizes at Target, like most stores, are a few haphazard, barely merchandised racks hidden in the bowels of the store.  Especially in my rural area where there are a whole lot more big girls than XS's.  I've found a few good pieces there over the years, and their Merona jeans fit me like a dream, but they never bothered to really stock the section or put any effort into it.  Recently they got rid of all the Target brand in plus (Merona, Mossimo) and made them all this "Ava and Viv."  The fit is horrible and the designs are crap.  Sometimes the 4X's won't clear my hips, while in other things I'm swimming in the 1X.  Sheer shoulders and backs that make wearing a bra impossible.  Tank tops that turn into boxy belly shirts when you wash them.  Strapless rompers!!!!  Just ridiculous crap.  What I want, as a plus sized woman, are basics like what you find in the rest of the store and the occasional trend piece that are adapted for a plus size figure.  Simple sweaters, and tops that don't stop at my waist.  Cute, simply cut jeans without lots of crap or weird design elements.  Basically, what you'll find two racks over in the Merona section of the regular sizes.  But I'm betting that plus size has never been a big seller for them, and I bet it's gotten worse with this redesign.  But that's a chicken or the egg problem, right?  Are sales bad because there's no market, or because you're producing half-assed crap?  I find it hard to beleive that with as many American women needing larger sizes that there isn't a demand for reasonably priced basics.  But when you don't restock the best sellers, when you produce this poorly made and designed throwaway crap that no sane woman would wear, and then throw up your hands and say plus sized doesn't sell, you're wasting a big opportunity for both profits and to serve a customer that desperately wants what you could offer.  Lane Bryant is just as bad.  Overpriced, and overdesigned.  How many times I've liked something only to find that it was ruined by some unnecessary detail- an asymetrical hem, weird zippers, and inconsistent sizing (more than once I've found something that fits, bought two supposedly identical items and gotten them home to find that the second didn't fit at all).

So Ashley will produce a ridiculous line that reflects her own unflattering, inconsistent taste.  I've never seen a plus size woman who was supposedly interested in fashion that dressed herself so poorly.  And she clearly makes a lot of her own stuff, so there's no reason for that.  She makes boxy, twee crap and loves to tuck her tops in or create horizontal design lines that cut her across the waist in the most unflattering way.  And instead of just writing her off as another no-talent hack PR designer, people will look at her crap plus sized collection and see it as more crap plus sized stuff, not crap Ashley stuff.  And though that's certainly not her fault, it's not helping the cause either.

She's Wendy Pepper without the malice.  She's been second worst so many times, had so many breakdowns, and IMO, she didn't produce a single design that showed any talent or innovation.  She made clothes that looked like what she wears.  And its a shame that the first plus sized line will be full of more of the same ridiculous florals, unflattering cuts, and lack of fit that are her hallmark.  (and I'm unspoiled, just my prediction).

So I'm really bummed to see it play out that way.

• Love 20

Ha! C3P0 dress! Maybe Ashley is working on a theme - could that have been an R2D2 cape last week? 

I was thinking more Lando Calrissian. ;)

Anyway, I think Candace was very calculated tonight in her comments to the judges.  Telling them how she took their critiques to heart  and learned from them yadda, yadda, yadda, really fed into their egos. 

• Love 3

Inside Edition lady introducing the challenge:  There are 3 things we look for in a red carpet look, color.........

Candace:  I found black fabric, and then some more black fabric, and then another black fabric.

Gah!

Why was that woman even there?? They had already announced the challenged. She appeared and told them to make it look good and fit well. Thanks lady!

Candace really hates Ashley, doesn't she? When Ashley came in and said she was in, Candace could barely squeak out a "You're kidding!" and it wasn't in a pleased, surprised way, it was more amazement bordering on disgust.

• Love 8

Candice- Nice but boring. I too saw the strange bunching on the dress but the overall effect was still pretty. Anyway, I'm so tired of her talking heads. Every time she opens her mouth I just yell to the tv “Shut up Candice."

Agreed. I don't dislike or like her, but her comments bug me.The dress was safe, but I really wish she had gone for color--maybe an emerald green.  This season didn't seem to be one where the models were swapped a lot so I would think she would know her model well enough to pick a color that would look good on the model just as she should do if she were designing for a real celebrity. Also I,too, saw that it looked a bit bunchy in the workroom on the dress form, but I didn't notice it as much on the model because I was looking more closely to the construction of the back and neck.  Zac's snide remark about Nancy Kerrigan's skating outfit was stupid; I am always amazed at the amount that people spend  at the competitive level for an ice skating wardrobe.

Edmund--that was awful. Looked like a cape for Mr America, but it wasn't a full cape just arm things. If anything the material was saying to him "throw me into the trash can and use your other material."

Ashley-- another poor choice of material. To me, on my medium size HD tv, it looked as though every time the material was brushed that it had large holes in it. Like maybe a plus sized moth had gotten hold of it.  It did help to learn it was gold and silver as I wasn't sure.  I was so interested in the construction of the top, I really can't recall what the bottom looked like.  And she did realize how the strap that was necessary to function did not help the overall look. 

Kelly--I am beginning to like her more, and I am sure she has become more confident in her work so whether she wins the whole thing of not, she is to me a winner.  That said, I really didn't care that much for her pantsuit--especially the top.  No woman with any "boobies" could wear it. And it  was lacking in color.  

General comments: I would like them to say "red carpet for the Grammies or the Oscars or whatever," I think because I am older I think red carpet equals Oscars more than the others,  If I were playing password and the clue was "red carpet" I would say "Oscars" or "academy awards." There are so many award shows now that it would be necessary for a designer to know which one the client was going to.

Zac and /or Nina can go, and Christian should be the replacement. 

• Love 5

Now that I've slept on it I think you guys are right. There will be a Tim Gunn save probably at the beginning of the next episode and then there will be a walk off between the four and three will move on to fashion week. They've done that before, I don't remember which season.

Although I liked most of these designers, they seemed nice, no fighting, no drama, I didn't think any of them were that talented. Nobody blew me away and I still don't have anyone I'm rooting for to win.

Maybe after the home visits I'll change my mind. The designers can finally do their own thing and not have to work with garbage or other stupid stuff that was beyond their comfort level. Oh, and they will have more than a day or two to make their collection.

• Love 1

My DVR cut out during Edmond's last talking head, so I figured I'd missed the inevitable Tim Gunn save.

The show ended before Tim showed up, leaving some to believe that E wasn't saved, but some of us think next week's episode will begin where last night's left off, with Tim sweeping in the room, granting E the TG Save.

It's Chekhov's Tim Gunn.

Clever!

• Love 2

The fabric Ashley used would make gorgeous throw pillows for a sofa. 

I never thought there were any rules for the Tim Gunn Save, so I wasn't surprised he hadn't used it.  Even though he's dead to me, he was wise in not using it for anybody on this lackluster season thus far.  (And I don't count Swappie, because I think that whole situation with the 2 of them was personal and WAY beyond the scope of the show.)

There are only rules for the contestants.  The judges and TG are beyond any rational and logical conventions.  Because it's FASHION!  ;-)

• Love 3

I think Edmund should have used his other fabric with the sparkly fabric. The whole dress in sequins was too much, I think. He should have used it in a way that it would peek out or flash out in a surprise. I was thonking as a train or a panel in the center of a train so that it looks like a standard red carpet look, but then the model turns around and there's the sparkle.

• Love 11

I guess I have no fashion sense as I seldom agree with the judges - but Candice's dress has been done for the runway 100 times over - nothing new or different. I agree that Edmund's was horrible - but Tim keeps pushing go outside your comfort zone which sorry I think is wrong - if and when you become a known designer - you're style will be you.

They finally got that on American Idol - forcing people to sing outside their genre - losing good singers and being stuck with some mediocre ones. Who ever won ended up recording in their own safe genre.

I do love Ashley and feel she would be a welcome change to the designer world of designing for skinny women. I'm sure their are a lot of rich - heavier women who would appreciate her talent. Kelly is innovative - but her clothing is juniorish to me. Candice - OMG - I look at her and tho I've loved some of her clothing - I see goth, biker, Morticia Adams sorry - we'll have to see if she can bring something new to fashion week!

• Love 1

Gah!

Don't forget she bought some gold trim as well! :D

Seriously, during that exchange, I remarked to my husband that of course it was all black and that she probably wouldn't use that gold trim in the end. And sure enough, after her Tim consult… GONE. (To be fair, it did look awful on the dress)

• Love 8