Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Calvada said:

Glenn Close can take comfort in the fact that she has very good company in the Never Won an Oscar Club.  Lauren Bacall, Myrna Loy, Peter O'Toole. Richard Burton, to name just a few.

It really does remind me of the year everyone thought Lauren Bacall would win supporting actress, and then didn't. Regardless of the quality of the performances, you could feel what a crushing moment it was for her. 

Glenn is probably feeling the same. Will she even get another chance?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

It may run over, but this is the first time it doesn't feel like it's running long.

exactly! however, eliminating the nonsense that usually bloats the oscars -- presenters' bla bla bla, endless montages, pizza deliveries -- exposes the ridiculous number of commercials. 

• Love 4

Called it. Best Picture rarely goes a different way than PGA. And Roma winning at BAFTA almost solidified it wouldn't win since BAFTA hasn't gotten a Best Picture right in like five years. I also just didn't think the Academy was ready to vote for a film that was mostly distributed by Netflix. 

Still, no reason to feel bad for Cuaron. How much do you think some people in that audience must hate that guy? People are killing themselves just to win one Oscar and dude gets three in one night. 

And for those who didn't know Rami and Lucy were together, don't worry, unless you're a huge fan of his you wouldn't. He's very private. I'm amazed at how public they were tonight. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Yes and a well deserved one!  I know a lot said she shouldn't be in a lead catagory and she didn't do much, but there's something to be said for the restraint or the moments of understated portrayal that an actor can show with their character as well.  She's wonderful.

Haven’t seen The Favourite, and I agree that Olivia Coleman is charming, but I think Glenn gave a very restrained, understated performance until the very end.  I was surprised at how much I liked this movie, which did not get a lot of publicity.

• Love 5
Just now, mtlchick said:

The man who gave us Dumb and Dumber won two oscars. But Octavia Spencer won for it as well so I can’t be that mad.  

This was a wacky award season. On to the next one! 

This was so much fun! And the forums were hot tonight! Thanks for the memories!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

I will say to filmmakers though that between this and Moonlight, if you want to win Best Picture, cast Mahershala Ali!  Cast him in everything!!!

He was in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

• Love 12
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

I will say to filmmakers though that between this and Moonlight, if you want to win Best Picture, cast Mahershala Ali!  Cast him in everything!!!

Word. Dude is like the Drake of dramatic film.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

What a weird awards season this has been. Lots of great movies though! I almost wonder if the rest cancelled each other out, and Green Book got in? Oh well, still lots of good stuff this year, and everyone even managed to say the actual movie that was on the envelope!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

Julia Roberts because reasons?

She still is a genuine star. I think that's all they wanted. At least it wasn't Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway round three.

• Love 9