Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, yowsah1 said:

I hate when they have elderly performers who are in no shape to give out an award present an award.  It's degrading.

I understand what you mean, but I think this was okay. Liza was brought up in Hollywood and I think she really appreciated the moment to celebrate the 50th year of Cabaret. Of course, opinions can vary! 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Gaga has an uncanny kindness with the old. It feels genuine. 

She's got a reputation for kindness and, in the case, she's also a huge theater nerd so being with Liza is a dream for her.

• Love 21

I'm not trying to promote conspiracy theories, but Will Smith seems over it already...even immediately after he went back stage.   Could the whole thing have been a misguided effort to show the Oscars are "must watch" television again?  Chris Rock barely moved after the punch/slap and was able to move on to the award after what should have been an extremely traumatizing event.  It was just so odd seeing Will Smith in the audience afterwards acting like a happy winner cheering on his colleagues.  

• Love 3

Does Liza have MS or Parkinson's or something? She's only in her 70s.

West Side Story was robbed. CODA was good but WSS was amazing. I'll watch WSS over and over until I die.

And aw, I think it's adorable they came out in  PJs.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 6

Has Gaga been deemed the official attendant of our senior citizen performers?

Bennett, now Minnelli.  Apparently there's a message if Gaga shows up to help you get through the show, it might be time to get a checkup.

• LOL 16
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Ok so given they’ve practically rewarded Will Smith for assault shouldnt Chris Rock sue? Surely the academy owes safety to their presenters?!

I cannot believe Hollywood are acting like this moron is some sort of hero.. oh wait I can. Ugh.

I’m sure this is neither the worst nor the most violent thing that’s ever happened to Chris Rock at a comedy gig. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Phebemarie said:

I'm not trying to promote conspiracy theories, but Will Smith seems over it already...even immediately after he went back stage.   Could the whole thing have been a misguided effort to show the Oscars are "must watch" television again?  Chris Rock barely moved after the punch/slap and was able to move on to the award after what should have been an extremely traumatizing event.  It was just so odd seeing Will Smith in the audience afterwards acting like a happy winner cheering on his colleagues.  

It was definitely real but we know a publicist and Denzel came and talked to Will so that's why he was being showy with his laughing and cheering. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from ABC came out and said something during commercials or sent people to speak to the front tables individually. 

• Love 3

The hosts weren't bad. A few cringe moments but they made me laugh  actually. Some good wins and speeches. Honestly the Will Smith/Chris Rock incident overshadowed the rest of the show. That was all I saw on social media. I was distracted talking about it as well. See everyone at next year's Oscars. Or maybe at Wrestlemania when WWE books Smith vs Rock lol.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

I'll just cap this off with a note: Even the feuds at the freaking MTV Video Music Awards (strange in itself as it no longer SHOWS videos!) are mostly off camera and just reported by the rags/social media.

When you act less civil than drunk rock stars, there's a problem!

• LOL 7
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Archery said:

I’m sure this is neither the worst nor the most violent thing that’s ever happened to Chris Rock at a comedy gig. 

He’s provably already on the phone with Lorne to show up on SNL next weekend to mock this. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Not appreciating this In Memoriam segment. I'd rather the music be a bit more somber and have the photos enlarged. I can barely see the faces on my 32" screen, with them featuring the performers.

I hated it. The Oscars In Memoriam continues to suck. And no Lata! Or Dilip Kumar! This should be about those we’ve lost-I don’t need nor want to see who is singing or the clapping.

• Love 12
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

It was definitely real but we know a publicist and Denzel came and talked to Will so that's why he was being showy with his laughing and cheering. I wouldn't be surprised if someone from ABC came out and said something during commercials or sent people to speak to the front tables individually. 

I felt he got showy and laughy again once he knew the audience were supporting him. Until then he was sulking and serious looking and tears were ready to go.

• Love 8

Well, like most Oscars, a lot of films/performers I was rooting for didn't win, but some did.  Count me as one who says that Will Smith should not be invited next year, tradition be damned.  He ruined what was shaping up to be a pretty good evening.

• Love 21

I'm on the West Coast and the repeat broadcast has just started. Wondering if "that" part will be edited out of the second airing!

ETA: Never mind. For some reason there's not a repeat airing like there normally is. (Did Will threaten someone at the network? 😄)

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I guess if you punch someone before you win your award, you can talk as long as you want without getting played off?

Less than an hour ago, this was going to be a "long overdue" win by a beloved actor.  A long rambling speech was baked into the cake.  Maybe that's why they didn't kick him out.  The show might have ended early. 

3 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Unlikely.   I don't think they'd do it with someone about to win that night.  Nor do I think Will would participate without letting everyone know it's a joke.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Well, like most Oscars, a lot of films/performers I was rooting for didn't win, but some did.  Count me as one who says that Will Smith should not be invited next year, tradition be damned.  He ruined what was shaping up to be a pretty good evening.

I bet next year they invite him back and have him and Chris Rock present something together. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Slade347 said:

3 hours and 42 minutes. Yep, not broadcasting those eight categories live on the show really sped things up and made it more watchable. 

True enough.  Well, guys, it's definitely been interesting this year--see you next year, same time, same place!

• Love 5

I will continue to argue the case that the ceremony should just be the awards with the nominated songs breaking them up and an In Memoriam segment. Or even better do it the way the GG did during the Writers Strike. Two people at a podium reading out names. All over with in under 30 minutes.

• Love 4

Well, with the exception of the Will Smith drama and a handful of cringe , that went a lot better than I expected it to. I'm happy for CODA. I like it when something other than a long, dull artsy movie wins. 

Good night everyone!

• Love 10
Just now, Bill1978 said:

I will continue to argue the case that the ceremony should just be the awards with the nominated songs breaking them up and an In Memoriam segment. 

And I will continue to agree with you!

• Love 7

I don't watch awards ceremonies but loved reading along with those of you who do - definitely more interesting than the show itself!  The Will Smith Incident is intriguing because reading about it here - no love for Will - but seeing the headlines he comes off as much more sympathetic.  It will be interesting to see how this fall out tomorrow.  I'm predicting Chris Rock and Will Smith will declare a truce and have a "let's be best mates" moment on some talk show or another.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

I'm on the West Coast and the repeat broadcast has just started. Wondering if "that" part will be edited out of the second airing!

Please let us know!!!!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, dmeets said:

I’m still flabbergasted that he used the speech to explain that as a family man, just like Richard Williams, he’ll do anything to protect his family, costars, and the Williams family. That is what he said, right? And then he yukks it up the rest of the night. Fucking hell.

they clapped for him, but I hope some of the folks in that room rip him a new one in post interviews. It’ll be too little too late but I need to know some of them realize what he did was appalling.

I kind of think (hope) that most of the audience didn't really know how to react. Maybe they weren't even sure it was real? No one stopped the show so they just kept acting like everything was normal and clapping. Most people liked Will Smith prior to tonight, so it may feel weird to suddenly start booing him, even if they think what happened was wrong.

You have to give Chris Rock credit for getting hit and then just moving on with the show.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 18

So, here's where I stand. Chris Rock's jab at Jada was inappropriate. When you're going to joke about someone's insecurities, maybe make sure they're ok with it before you do it. I don't know how well Chris Rock knows Jada or Will, but this is why "edgy" humour is hit or miss. And I've read that this isn't the first time Chris has made a jab about Jada. 

I do not blame Jada or Will for not being ok with the joke. I was fine with Will yelling at Chris about it, even. 

Unfortunately for Will, what could have been a moment criticizing Chris is a moment criticizing Will with the violence. And now he's gonna have to go on an apology tour instead of celebrating his win. Violence is never the answer and, as we've seen, it's gonna create more problems with you instead of the other person. Because now Chris is the victim and he gets off easy with his jab. 

I think both look bad, in this scenario. 

• Love 22
16 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

You need to catch it on an international feed.  ABC was throwing every "bail-out" switch, button or dead chicken over a broadcast console to mitigate the damage.  I will say, the guy that directed the show (Glenn Weiss, he of taking the directing job for the Democratic convention during Covid and did so at his LA home wearing shorts, a t-shirt and no shoes with the assistance of having about a zillion dollars of remote truck gear set up in his backyard) didn't miss a shot. The international feeds confirm that.  It went wonky for US viewers because ABC made it go wonky.

Edited by kib
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5