Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really don’t have an opinion on the relative merits of the songs, but I’m hoping LMM gets his EGOT (McPEGOT?) so he can sit down and relax for a minute.

And to be clear - I don’t mean that like, sit down, we’re tired of you.  I mean, sit down and relax, you’ve earned it. 

• Love 4

The problem with the Oscars show is that it doesn't celebrate film, the way the Grammy's celebrate songs or the Tony's celebrate theater.  Where are the film clips of current or past movies?  Where are the actors making presentations, not snowboarders?  How about less time on lame "comic" routines and phony baloney fan polls and more on celebrating the nominated films?  How about just showing clips of the nominated songs rather than staging them (and adding a song that wasn't even nominated). 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Did Will genuinely punch Chris Rock??

If he did, you'd think that Chris Rock would have been a little more flustered. I think there were some not-safe-for-TV words exchanged though. 

To be fair, it is Chris Rock! I doubt Will or Jada would be that thin-skinned.

• Love 9
Just now, wallflower75 said:

Where the hell is the sound?

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T PRESENT THAT AWARD LIVE???

Oh this one is live but this is why it needs to be streamed rather than on one of the Big Four. If were watching a stream we'd know what was bleeped out and be able to tell if it was real or a bit gone awry.

Congrats to Summer Of Soul.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, dmeets said:

Is Will Smith playing mad or are he and Jada really that humorless?

No he was really mad.

They muted the sound.  But I saw Will Smith mouth "Keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth."

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dmeets said:

Is Will Smith playing mad or are he and Jada really that humorless?

Jada has alopecia, that causes the loss of most or all of her hair. That was a really tacky joke.

• Useful 9
  • Love 15
6 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Was I the only one having flashbacks to Glenn Close dancing last year when they turned their attention to Judy Dench?

There is no wrong time to think about Da Butt!

Oh shit Summer of Soul ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Yay!  Summer of Soul was great!  So much fun, and so much great music.  I highly recommend it.

I'm thrilled about this!  And I haven't even seen the film yet.  It's definitely next on my list!

• Love 5

Ok, Twitter says that it was real and Will shouted "keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth!" I guess he/they really didn't like the GI Jane 2 joke. 

I bet ABC, the attendees, and all the voters are crossing their fingers that Will doesn't win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Marley said:

What the fuck just happened. Was that a joke or was Will really mad. Jada is a buzz kill tho.

I think it was real. You could tell how Chris Rock changed after that. He looked upset for a few minutes.

• Love 20

Late to post, but my favorite moment of Kenneth Branagh’s award was showing his wife after his speech clearly telling him she knows he loves her.  Hopefully his heartfelt speech doesn’t devolve into the usual “he didn’t profess his love to her so they must be on the rocks” crap. 

• Love 2
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, Twitter says that it was real and Will shouted "keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth!" I guess he/they really didn't like the GI Jane 2 joke. 

I bet ABC, the attendees, and all the voters are crossing their fingers that Will doesn't win.

Yikes.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That Last Duel joke was pretty funny

It was, but was that worth not letting people finish their speeches or not getting their awards live?

1 minute ago, j5cochran said:

Jada has alopecia, that causes the loss of most or all of her hair. That was a really tacky joke.

That does make the joke worse than I thought, but Chris Rock may not know that.

• Love 6