Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Waiting For Dutch

• Start Topic

Slow responders. I'm stoked that the show's returning. I wonder if fans of the first season just aren't aware that it's starting back.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

A lot to unpack here. The Gerhardts, Jesse Plemons and his psycho wife (Kirsten Dunst), Lou, Betsy and Molly, his father-in-law Hank and a triple murder in Luverne, MN. (OK, then).

The only thing that didn't seem natural was Betsy's references to Love Canal and Pol Pot. Seems a little topical for Luverne.

Other minutia:
Typewriters? Really?

The cook (probably the only brother in Luverne) taking Ben Carson's advice didn't work out too well did it? (Of course, he could've been quieter.)

• Love 7

I actually said aloud "no way...isn't this Children of the Sun?" as it started playing.  Perfect.  God I love this show - so glad it's back finally.  The first 20 minutes were intense and nuts.  Yay - can't wait for next eppy already, lots of story to untangle here.

• Love 3

It didn't really grab me, which bothers me a bit because I really loved this show during the first season, in spite of my general avoidance of gore.

It just seemed all over the place, and I couldn't seem to care or even be much interested in any of them.  Seeing Sam Malone didn't help, maybe it's true that some roles just define actors, and it's hard to break through with something.  Hopefully Ted can do that, but his presence also jarred me, maybe because I was pretty bored with the rest of it, and looking for something to care about? 

When the judge started in with her little proverb, all I could think about was Malvo, and miss him.

I felt like I had to pay attention to every little thing, and it was more annoying than intriguing.  Hopefully the second episode with gel and begin to compel, because this one didn't do it for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Loved the cold opening, and the split screens, almost as much as the opening minutes of Better Call Saul. i'm ready to sit back and follow along, just like the Trooper's daughter. Looks like the seventies...especially the rust belt seventies. And the cars...

Took me a minute to recognize Jesse Plemons..he's heavier, and that might be a good thing...i so wanted him dead on Breaking Bad, that he reminds me of his former character, but the weight gain helps mask the former...I can surrender to the new story.

With Justified done and Saul on hold until January, I am thrilled to have Fargo back.

• Love 9

Looks like the seventies...especially the rust belt seventies. And the cars...

AMC Gremlin!  With the stripe!

And the appliances!  Avocado for the Blomquists & Harvest Gold for the Solversons!  I'll have to rewatch to see if the Gerharts have a Copper-Tone stove & fridge (the 3rd color back then.)  

And Kirsten Dunst's Farrah-hair!  Lordy, I felt like I was 21 again watching that.

We were wondering if Kieran Culking might be "not really dead" and turn up later as a young Carl Showalter - he was really channelling a young Steve Buscemi - but I guess the deep freeze makes that pretty unlikely.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 8

Well, they're still waiting for Dutch. I loved the Western at the beginning showing Reagan's machismo compared to Jimmy Carter's malaise speech. So the shoe in the tree isn't Rye's; his didn't have laces. Did it fall off someone who was abducted? And finally, it wasn't a typewriter, it was a Selectric typewriter!

• Love 3

Well, an article in the Washington Post today said the first 3 episodes are all over the place but it all comes together in episode 4.  I was spoiled by the excellence of Season 1 (which we watched yesterday...so many little things we forgot about); I'll give this second season some time.  I love the accents (the bingo caller especially).

Jimmy Carter never used the word "malaise" in that speech--a reporter did and it stuck with Carter forever after.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

Loved it to bits and pieces! So weird, and yet folksy, and yet dark. 

I think Brad Garrets boss is making a mistake not taking Mrs. Mob seriously. I feel like she is going to be calling the shots, not the sons. 

Jessie Plements just cannot stop killing people, even going back to his Friday Night Lights days. 

Great use of 70s music, and lots of fun period detail. And a cover of one of my favorite Coen Brothers songs, from Oh Brother Where Art Though, as the ending song. 

Also...aliens? Are they this years fish rain? 

• Love 11

And the appliances!  Avocado for the Blomquists & Harvest Gold for the Solversons!  I'll have to rewatch to see if the Gerharts have a Copper-Tone stove & fridge (the 3rd color back then.)

OK, nope, they were white - hopelessly passé in the 70's - and looked like older models.

Jean Smart's striped outfit reminded me of a dress I had.  I gave it to Goodwill.  And I think Saturday Night Live bought it for the nerdy lady music teacher!

• Love 3

Whenever I hear/read "all over the place," I think haphazard or a bit chaotic.  While there was definitely a lot going on (and with the split screens to different people/places/times...A LOT going on) I felt it was well under control.  In fact, last season had a quite a few story threads that just kind of happened, perhaps in an effort to connect it to the movie?  There are a lot of characters here but the thread that connects them was laid out in a pretty straight forward manner.

The cast as a whole was terrific but I have to give a special shout out to Jean Smart.  I live in the midwest and I feel like I know her character. She could be one of my relatives from that era.  I also got a kick out of Otto's gibberish which was just a clever way for the show to have a character do some hard swearing without alarming anyone because it was so hard to deciphere.  

• Love 11

Probably one of my anticipated returns this year and it more then lived up to it.  There was a lot going on, but I think it is already coming together, and I can't wait to see it all plays out.  The married couple trying to hid the body from everyone.  Jean Smart possibly stepping up as the crime boss or one of the sons trying to get it instead.  The rivals that seem to want to come after their organization. And then younger Lou and his father in-law caught in the middle of everything.  Again, a lot of moving pieces, but after the first season, I think they can pull it together.

The opening bit was hilarious.  I can't wait for 

Bruce Campbell to appear as Ronald Reagan.

Of course, Nick Offerman shows up as some kind of conspiracy nut.  Although, he traded in the stache for an awesome beard instead.

If Kieran Culkin really is dead, I'm kind of surprised since he was featured in a lot of the promos.

Curious to see how they will deal with Betsy's sickness, considering what we find out in the first season, but as long as it doesn't end with her dying, and then Lou asking Molly's permission to date Cobie Smulders, it should be fine.

Great seeing Kirsten Dunst again (can't remember the last time I saw her in anything), but was Jesse Plemons always this big, or did he gain weight for this role?  I just recently saw him on Black Mass, and he looked a bit heavier, but not this heavy.  I almost didn't recognize him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

it wasn't a typewriter, it was a Selectric typewriter!

Fringe fan here wondering if it will at least metaphorically communicate with the other side.

I seem to recall the pilot of the series grabbing me more than this season's premiere.

In answer to this question: I see Kirsten Dunst being a sort of John Malvo and Jessie Plemmons is Breaking Bad for her like Lester did. At least in this episode.

I liked the music.

• Love 1
If Kieran Culkin really is dead, I'm kind of surprised since he was featured in a lot of the promos.

I know.  And in his short screen time, I quickly grew to love his character.  Until he went psycho and killed everyone and then I hated him.  Still, I was impressed with how well the show made him a character I understood.

Was Jesse Plemons always this big, or did he gain weight for this role?  I just recently saw him on Black Mass, and he looked a bit heavier, but not this heavy.  I almost didn't recognize him.

I read somewhere that he gained weight for another role.  Maybe his Black Mass role? And they asked him to keep it. 

ETA:  Found a link to a story where he mentions it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I've seen the Coen Brothers movie but missed the first season of the series. So far really liking the show. I like the 70s time period and the regional setting and the cast of course is awesome.

Is Cristin Milioti playing another dying wife and mother?

Is Landry getting talked into disposing another dead body by another pretty blonde?

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Kind of got out to a slow start, but I'm in!

Poor Cristin Milioti, playing ANOTHER sick wife/mother. The actress must be cursed.

I knew that Kirsten Dunst would be the the Lester of this season -- although my friend thinks she's worse. And I think she's right: Lester, rat bastard that he was, wasn't even THAT stupid. The road to hell is paved with panicked intentions. I have no doubt she'll be turning on her husband by season's end.

• Love 3

Were there 2 timelines going on? The Selectric came out in 1961 per Wiki. Harvest gold, avocado, etc appliances were in the 60s also. But for some reason, I thought I saw a 197? date on the screen.

This show must not have been advertised much. There are 30 comments but I think that's due to people's not knowing it was on. I watch entirely too much tv & I caught it by accident.

Were there 2 timelines going on? The Selectric came out in 1961 per Wiki.

IIRC, this is the "self-correcting" Selectric II, which came out in the 70s.

Elephant in the room: Is that UFO is a one-off thing, or will it turn up again this season?

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 4

I surmised it was not a UFO but Rye thought it was, I'm thinking it was Kerstin Dunst's car headlights right before she hit him.

That's what I thought too. In the pain, shock and blood loss from the stab wound, he was dazed and confused by the headlights and the lights from the sign from the Waffle Hut.

• Love 2

I loved the first episode!  It was as low key as the first season, but still had a lot going on.  Love Patrick Wilson -- I wish they would let him sing in the show.  His voice is amazing!  Kirsten Dunst was hilarious as a very ditzy wife with her aim-to-please husband.  Sorry didn't recognize him.  Love Ted Danson in this -- much better than his turn in CSI: Cyber.  Didn't recognize Kieran Culkin at all (isn't he a blond?) but he was great.  I hope we see more of him in flashbacks or something.  I'm in for the long haul!

• Love 2

I'm in, can't wait until next week.  I like this better than the previous season already.  For some reason, I didn't like the actress who played grown up Molly from last year. 

If I had a Selectric and a red Swingline stapler, I'd be in office heaven.

• Love 3

My favorite thing was Nick Offerman's Walter Sobchak-inspired character. Everything could use a little Walter.

I'm totally in. Loved Wilson as young Lou, loved that we're seeing little Molly Solverson, and finding out now that she comes from two lines of law enforcement--probably why she is so awesome at it. Jean Smart's character is fiercer than we realize, I'm sure, and her sons are going to screw everything up, I'm sure.

• Love 3

This whole episode tickled me so much - - I loved the first season of Fargo (even doing the rewatch over the weekend) and I was praying it wasn't going to be like the sophomore season of True Detective (which was depressing, slow and basically unwatchable even through I slogged through it). This was AWESOME. Jesse Plemons was so odd with his weight gain but perhaps that made me NOT think of him on Breaking Bad. The rest. . . the typewriter (gosh I remember how excited I was when my office got one), all the atmosphere was spot on. Can't wait for next week.

• Love 4

I feel grumpy.  After his idiotic panicked shooting spree, I wanted stupid sniveling Rye to get what was coming to him.  And then he did, but now I have to wait around all season wanting that little psycho Peggy to get what's coming to her.  And of course she won't, because she's perky blonde adorable and says "hon" every third word and will snow others the same way she snows her husband.  Eugg.

Please tell me I can pin my hopes on Ted Danson and the former Keith Carradine.  (I think Ted looks HOT in his new whiskers. . .sexy hot, not sweaty hot.)

Even knowing the line was meant to provoke, it will still be quite satisfying when Brad Garrett comes to regret underestimating Floyd Gerhardt and dismissing her as, "you know, a girl.

The Northern Expansion Strategy booklet was funny and quickly set up the difference between that bunch and the Gerhardts, who clearly keep a woodchipper or two oiled and ready to go in the backyard.  With the B+/A- list casting, I can't wait to see who's playing the shadowy figure. 

Are Lou & daughter the only crossover characters from Season One?

• Love 5

Harvest gold, avocado, etc appliances were in the 60s also. But for some reason, I thought I saw a 197? date on the screen.

You are right about the avocado and harvest gold coming out in the late 60's ( tubs and toilets too ).

I still prefer those colors to black.   I saw 1979.

• Love 2

I surmised it was not a UFO but Rye thought it was, I'm thinking it was Kerstin Dunst's car headlights right before she hit him.

I cut the gif I made before it happened but the lights are in front of Rye; then he turns around and sees the car, behind him.

• Love 5

Goddammit, I forgot this debuted last night.  Had to wait until a quarter to one for the second encore.

What I saw, I liked.  I really, really liked.

Whoever is doing the make-up and hair on this show needs an award, like, yesterday.  I did not recognize Jean Smart at all, they're that good.

Kirsten Dunst.  Oh, I feel such pride when I look at her, even though I'm not related to her in the slightest.  Just seeing a former child actress as a grown woman who hasn't fucked up her life makes me so happy.  Her performance is great, too.  Very Lady Macbeth.

I'm still watching Blindspot, but I'm gonna have to miss The Daily Show and Stephen Colbert in order to see the first encore.  It'll be worth it.

• Love 2

Fun that Kirsten got to do another Minn. role, as I adored her as a teen in "Drop Dead Gorgeous". 

It was also really cool to recognize that Lou was reading Molly from "The Five Little Peppers" book.  I loved reading them when I was growing up.  Not as well known as the Bobsey Twins, Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew, but I remember them.

Now I want Tater Tots.  I'll skip the Hamburger Helper though.   

• Love 3

I'm in, can't wait until next week.  I like this better than the previous season already.  For some reason, I didn't like the actress who played grown up Molly from last year. 

If I had a Selectric and a red Swingline stapler, I'd be in office heaven.

I can't help you with the stapler, but my circa 1979 Selectric is looking for a good home.  I also have a Dictaphone transcription machine from the same era.  ;-)

• Love 6

Even though harvest gold appliances came out in the sixties, many people retained them through the 1970s.  It's only rich and fickle types who get a new stove every time the colours go out of fashion--ordinary people make do until they need to replace them.  Same for interior decor.  Hair and clothes change more quickly (especially hair, which has to be cut and styled every month or two regardless), but those expensive items like wallpaper, fridges, and couches may persist over a couple of decades.  

(In other words, I see nothing wrong with the art department's choices on this show, so long as no characters' exulting in how they got the latest, trendiest colour for their brand new dishwasher).

Edited by ashleylm
  • Love 19

Even though harvest gold appliances came out in the sixties, many people retained them through the 1970s.  It's only rich and fickle types who get a new stove every time the colours go out of fashion--ordinary people make do until they need to replace them.

Yup, yup, and yup. We certainly had our brown stove and fridge from before I can remember in the 60s through the 70s and probably beyond. Depression era parents don't get rid of anything so long as it works. Loved the time period details as well as all the different story threads and characters. I connected with this much quicker than I did the first season. Maybe it's all those 70s memories striking a chord with me.

Edited by BonnieD
  • Love 8

Poor Luverne. Brainerd and Bemidji are used to tourists, being Lake Country and Paul Bunyan-esque, but that small town isn't equipped for what might be coming its way. I typed "Luv" in Google, and "Luverne Minnesota" came right up.

I love this show. It warms my Minnesotan heart. The accents are a bit toned down this season, which is appreciated. 

Love the casting so far. I don't know if anything can top Key and Peele last year, but it's fun to watch the actors grow into their roles.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 4

I thought I remembered him seeing it in the woods, away from the road, and then after it speeds off (and upwards) then he turns and sees the car that hits him?

(Plus, didn't they deduce that wasn't the killer's shoe in the tree? I have to go back and rewatch now.)

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 1