Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, twoods said:

And those Eagles fans who booed poor Agholor on draft day last year better be eating shit now. He was a stud at USC and glad he's doing well in the NFL. 

Preach!  Last year, I felt so badly for him with every dropped pass because  you just knew it was mental and no reflection of his actual ability.  It's great to see his confidence growing with each game.  But where in the world is Torrey Smith??

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

They look like the same Smurf suits they have worn in the past.

The Smurfs were my FAVORITE cartoon growing up (I had figures, coloring books, Shrinky Dinks, etc.) so perhaps that explains my affection.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, twoods said:

Some of those Cam throws were head scratching. When he dove into the end zone (or out of bounds) I swore he broke his left wrist because he fell hard on it. That was a gutsy, but dumb, play.

The rookie kicker Elliott is a beast. And those Eagles fans who booed poor Agholor on draft day last year better be eating shit now. He was a stud at USC and glad he's doing well in the NFL. 

I don't understand how that play was not overturned to a TD.  It didn't matter, they scored, but it look clear to me the ball crossed the goal line before he came down out of bounds. 

But yes his throws, what on earth was he doing?  At first I thought it was miscommunication with the WR, but multiple times it happened, not even CLOSE.  Even the last INT, I think it was, they said the WR didn't break in and went straight, but even if the WR did the intended route, that ball was still getting intercepted. 

• Love 1

So, in spite of the win, folks round these parts are still pissed about the lopsided officiating in last night's game.  I'm not gonna lie---I was perplexed about the lack of calls on Carolina but I just chalked it up to "home cookin'". Now I'm not so sure.

From Bleeding Green Nation:

59e1160e3b98f_ScreenShot2017-10-13at3_37_20PM.thumb.png.22ddd40f5be9f1a7f134f8a6cf77881a.png

59e1164b6eb69_ScreenShot2017-10-13at3_38_25PM.thumb.png.93b1669f460fe39667f953194c244a79.png

What the fuck does Morelli and his crew have against Philadelphia???  More importantly, why is this type of nonsense not investigated?

• Love 3

I am sure they are but if they are checking just in season would it be noticed?  Would it be chalked up to a anomaly, just as suburbanhomesuite said a little home cooking? It not until you look at two game or 4 games where something seems off. It's a pretty big story in the area just imagine if the Eagles lost .

• Love 1

I don't understand the fair and balanced argument on those tweets.  That's not always how officiating works. Every year there are teams that are more penalized than other teams.  This year, Philly is second only to San Fran.  (Although most in yards. )  Last year they were 9th.  Is that all on one crew?  I don't know. 

When it comes to Eagles penalties, how does his crew stack up to other referee crews?  

I'm not saying there wasn't crappy officiating.  It feels like it is happening more even with replay.  But it is insufficient data to draw definitive conclusions of bias.  Hopefully, the league will dig deeper.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It feels like it is happening more even with replay.

Not getting into whether or not Morelli and his crew hate Philly, but I agree with this.   It's like the officials know if they get it wrong replay will fix it so they are less careful.

Hoping for a minor sprain or minor separation for Rodgers, miss next week and then Pack has their bye.  Even come back with a Monday game so an extra day there.  Yeah, I'm probably dreaming - sigh.  The report is a broken collarbone.  Probably means at least 8 weeks.   When Rodgers broke his collarbone in 2013, it was the first week of November, and he came back for the regular season finale.  Hmmm, where's Matt Flynn?  Perhaps Hundley will be better than Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien?

What is it with guys hitting Packers in the head?  And what is Treadwell so worked about it?  He hits the guy blindside helmet to helmet and he thinks he shouldn't get a penalty?  My goodness.  Just sit down and wait for the notification of your fine. 

Oops - forgot this time it was his throwing shoulder.  Probably means the season then.   With all their other injuries, I think this is a lost season for the Packers. 

Edited by Calvada
58 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I just heard that Rodgers was out for the season.  I'm not even a Packers fan but I am so bummed that he's hurt because he is exciting to watch.  Damn.

Same. I'm neutral on the Pack but Rodgers is amazing and I enjoy watching him play. This sucks. I hope he heals quickly and completely.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Why can't the Packers EVER keep their players healthy?!

I feel like the local reporters doomed them in the way they had been talking about how, even though they were injury riddled, they hadn't lost anyone major "for the season."  So of course...

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Hoping for a minor sprain or minor separation for Rodgers, miss next week and then Pack has their bye.  Even come back with a Monday game so an extra day there.  Yeah, I'm probably dreaming - sigh.  The report is a broken collarbone.  Probably means at least 8 weeks.   When Rodgers broke his collarbone in 2013, it was the first week of November, and he came back for the regular season finale.  Hmmm, where's Matt Flynn?  Perhaps Hundley will be better than Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien?

I hope so.  I like Hundley. I like his improvement.  It'll be interesting to see how he does once he actually practices as the starter.  I hope he does well, especially if it'll end some of the whining about coaching.

But this sucks.  I feel this new stadium is cursed. 

Packers seem to have had more than their share of injuries.  Towards the end of the game, they were trying to figure out who would play in the secondary if anyone else went down.  They began the game missing 3 starters there.  Then they lost 3 offensive lineman during the game.  Plus Aaron Rodgers.   I was beginning to think they would have to set up a 2nd injury tent.

I wonder if they will do surgery just because it is Rodgers' throwing shoulder.  Can't they do something to try to strengthen the collarbone?  Put in plates/pins/screws/super glue???  

This is an audition for Hundley to be a starter elsewhere in the future.  He looked pretty good a couple summers ago in the preseason, then in 2016 he was hurt in the preseason, and this year he was just ok.  So this is his big chance.  

All I know if I have to avoid sports TV for a few days since I don't really need to see hundreds of replays of Aaron's collarbone going "SNAP!"  

I wish Aaron Rodgers a healthy recovery. That was a rough injury he sustained today. It's unfortunate we are losing very talented stars to big injuries early in this season. Jameis Winston also suffered a shoulder injury and I hope his injury isn't very serious.

I thought we had some interesting outcomes today. I didn't expect the Dolphins to beat the Falcons or the Steelers to beat the Chiefs. But both teams won, and their defenses ended up playing well. The Steelers D played very well. They did a really nice job of agitating the Chiefs offense and containing their run game.  This was a really good win for the Steelers.

Also, I was glad to see DeShaun Watson continue to play well, and I was impressed with how the Jets played even though they lost. I don't think that TD call should have been overturned. . They are showing a lot of heart, especially Josh McCown. I also think it's interesting that the Patriots were in yet another close game. A lot of their games so far have come down to the wire and could have gone the other way. I could see the Patriots losing next week to the Falcons. 

I was also glad to see Adrian Peterson have a good game for the Cardinals. The Saints really did not fit him, and I think he will be much more comfortable with the Cardinals offense.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

So clearly, the trick to getting the Steelers to win is for me to pick against them in the fantasy pool. Apart from the Browns game (which was a gimme), they've lost every time I've picked them for the win. Ben's throwing is still so streaky (which is worrying) but his receivers and Bell made him look good today.

I’m disappointed Brandon Marshall is hurt because now I can’t be confused for 60 minutes trying to figure out which Brandon Marshall they are talking about.

I saw the Jets play.  That’s some serious bullshit right there.  An apology from the league is not going to be nearly enough.

Kap is suing the league for collusion.  I wish him all the best.

• Love 1

That TD that wasnt called a TD for the Jets was totally bogus.  By the time the receiver hit the pylon he had full control of the ball and never lost it. 

I thought this was the year Winston and the Bucs were supposed to make strides?  They are awful.

The Chiefs better hope they dont see the Steelers in the playoffs (again).

Good lord, the Bears almost lost a game when their defense did not give up a touchdown and scored a pick-6.  Ooof.  New guy (Trubisky) shows glimpses of promise.  It really is about next year (assuming they pick up a couple of WR in the offseason/draft).  However, that would have been a brutal loss. 

I'm with the party that wasn't bummed that the call on New York.  It seemed as if "someone" had to make sure New England stayed the course with "A-Rod" out.  Aaron being out is bad enough, but having New England not in the playoffs in addition to no Rodgers is bad for business.  Just my theory that the NFL is scripted.

To be serious, though, I didn't agree with that call for the Patriots, but that's only due to the fact that it was originally called a TD.  Had it been called no TD and no turnover, or a touchback over a fumble originally, I'd be okay with it.  It just sucks because they've upheld more obvious calls that could've been reversed.  I think New England wins anyway, but you'd never know.  Last Thursday, it was missed FG, and now this.

Totally sucks for Rodgers.  Sounds like they'll leave the door open for him to return and not put him on IR.  I guess we'll see how he'll return with the same injury but with the throwing side compared to 2013.  I doubt he'll be effective, because he's 4 years older, and the NFC North was awful that year.  I think every coach got fired that year outside of the Packers.  This is the second time within the 4-year orbit of playing an NFC division that the Steelers get to play Green Bay w/o Rodgers thanks to an injury at the hands of a division foe

Speaking of Pittsburgh, no A-Rod probably helps them going forward.  Along with Detroit not really being that much of a threat.  I agree that Kansas City doesn't want to face the Steelers in the postseason.  Really, barring another painful loss, the Steelers just have to stay healthy before New England, but that's easier said than done when they're facing Cincy & Baltimore right before that.

I think Green Bay with be okay, but even with Rodgers there, I think it would've been tough to get to February since teams like Atlanta, Minnesota, and Carolina are tough for Aaron's game

• Love 1

Kaepernick has filed a grievance under the CBA claiming collusion.   Apparently one proven case of collusion can void the CBA.   Why Kaep wants thiss I don't know.   It's not like he has been harmed by any of the provisions like Tom Brady or Ezekial Elliott.

Oh and Greg Hardy has chimed in on how unfair the arbitration process is.   Dude, you were actually found guilty and GOT YOUR SUSPENSION CUT.   You need to STFU and go away, far far far away.

Kaepernick not harmed?  He has clearly been blackballed from the league (whether he can actually prove that in court is another story) but anybody with any sense knows that is what happened.  And if that's the case, Kaepernick was denied the opportunity to compete for a job (and the salary that would come with it). 

I hope Kaepernick takes this as far as it can go.  I dont care one way or the other about the CBA but I just want the NFL to be thoroughly embarassed by what they did so maybe next time they might think twice about it.  GO KAP!

What the hell Giants?  You're supposed to be losing now!  Ugg.  

• Love 14

What did Al Michaels say that was bad enough he felt the need to apologize? I missed it.

10 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

I hope Kaepernick takes this as far as it can go.  I dont care one way or the other about the CBA but I just want the NFL to be thoroughly embarassed by what they did so maybe next time they might think twice about it.  GO KAP!

Please let discovery for this case leak out to the public!

• Love 1

I think the Broncos are in the position the Packers were in earlier today - the game not yet completely out of reach, but wanting it to end before anyone else gets hurt.

Al said that the Giants are coming off a worse week than Harvey Weinstein.  Just a stupid thing to say.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

I hope Kaepernick takes this as far as it can go.  I dont care one way or the other about the CBA but I just want the NFL to be thoroughly embarassed by what they did so maybe next time they might think twice about it. 

Yes. While I don't think one owner said to the other, "Don't sign Kap", I absolutely think it' been like, "Huh, Kap easily is back up in this league." "Yeah someone could sign him for cheap." "We're all set though on our team." "Yeah he wouldn't fit our system." 
The NFL is a fraud and I hope this will expose the league.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, xaxat said:

What did Al Michaels say that was bad enough he felt the need to apologize? I missed it.

Please let discovery for this case leak out to the public!

Apparently, it was a joke involving Harvey Weinstein. Stick to stealth comments about gambling odds, Al!

The league's defense will be that all the teams independently decided not to sign Kaep given the controversy about him taking a knee last year. Yes, teams have signed rapists and killers or players worse than him, but those hirings didn't turn into national political controversies. The kneeling issue became exponentially bigger this year but wasn't a non-story in 2016 and was often cited as a reason the NFL ratings went down. And teams will just find some legal-ease way to say,  "He's good but not good enough for us to want to deal with all the drama attached to signing him," and they'll deny there was some league-wide cabal about it. I feel like that's probably what happened (for different reasons obviously) with Michael Sam. The CBA being nullified would be something else, though, total chaos for the control freak NFL and the end of Goodell for sure. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

McAdoo needs to stay not calling the offense.

Also I have to guess that once you know your WR weapons are down and out, you stop trying to stopgap in the hope they'll return and you end up making the backup plan THE plan. JPP's pep speech was basically 'we all we got!' which was true and so the Defense is going to take care of their business. Eli apparently was schooling the rookie WR all week getting them ready. We also just thrive under the mentality of no one believes in us and love to upend expectations. Not sure if I think we can go 11-5 but then again who knows?

Although I had to laugh at the tweets that Peyton called on favors with his old team for them to give his baby bro the win or gave Eli a cheat sheet?

Go Big Blue!

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Kaepernick not harmed?  He has clearly been blackballed from the league (whether he can actually prove that in court is another story) but anybody with any sense knows that is what happened.  And if that's the case, Kaepernick was denied the opportunity to compete for a job (and the salary that would come with it). 

What the hell Giants?  You're supposed to be losing now!  Ugg.  

Under the current terms of the CBA how was he harmed?     I believe the NFL is colluding against him.   But which specific term of the CBA is being violated by not letting him compete for a job such that he wants the whole thing thrown out?    I can see Brady or Elliott wanting the CBA thrown out, but why Kaep?    Other than wanting a fair chance to compete for a job, what does he accomplish by having the CBA thrown out?    

Apparently there's a clause in the CBA that says if there is one proven case of collusion then the CBA is void.

I do believe there's been collusion but I don't think Kap will be able to prove it in the legal sense.

• Love 1

The CBA is here (PDF).  I'm not a lawyer, but according to the anti-collusion provisions I read on PDF page 138 of the doc it says they have to be able to demonstrate a conspiracy involving at least 14 clubs to go to the arbitrator to terminate the agreement.

28 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Under the current terms of the CBA how was he harmed? 

From Section One of the CBA.

Section 1. Prohibited Conduct:

(a) No Club, its employees or agents shall enter into any agreement, express or implied, with the NFL or any other Club, its employees or agents to restrict or limit individual Club decision-making as follows:

(i) whether to negotiate or not to negotiate with any player;

(ii) whether to submit or not to submit an Offer Sheet to any Restricted Free Agent;

(iii) whether to offer or not to offer a Player Contract to any player;

I guess the case hinges on "implied".

Same team is 0-6 this season with a different QB. 

Plus, Cutler was 5-10 in 2014 and 1-4 last year, yet the Fins took a chance in him this season. Definitely collusion, but like you guys said it's going to be hard to prove if there is no evidence. I find it disgusting that domestic violence and drug offenders (along with child abusers) are given a second chance, yet someone who did nothing more than peacefully protest won't even get another opportunity. 

Would it make sense for him to try to play in Canada?

• Love 8

There is no way he will prove collusion against the league about this

In regard to the Jets/Pats game and the HORRIBLE overturned call, I think this is a case where its not truly clear what they mean anymore by "incontrovertible" evidence. 

The call on the field was a TD because he touched the pylon with the football.  To overturn that, you need, I would think, "incontrovertible" evidence that he did not have control when the ball touched the pylon or the ENTIRE time between when the ball went loose and when he landed out of bounds.

I understand at least the logic , they say there is a view of him lose control a bit before he touched the pylon and a shot of him not having control when landing on the ground, so they are claiming he must not have had control that entire time.

But there is a big gap in their where he could have regained control of the ball.  The "loss of control" shot was the ball was still in between his hands/arms, but it was loose a bit.  He easily, and likely did, grab it again right after that and before he touched the pylon. 

To overturn this in my opinion they need a shot where he touches the pylon and the ball is definitely loose because the call on the field was he had control at the time of touching the pylon.  There is no such shot, you can't tell.  They go on the assumption the ball was loose before and after that, so it must have been loose at the time he touched it.  If the call on the field was a fumble, that would apply, but that wasn't the call.  It was called a TD on the field.

But once again its Tom Brady's charmed life, once again gets the break and "he " wins the game. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, morriss said:

Kaepernick 2015-16   won 3   lost 16  -  enough said.

QBs the Titans invited in for a workout after Marriota was injured.

Brandon Weedon 6-19 (did not play at all last season)

Matt Barkley 1-5

Matt McGloin 1-6

T.J. Yates 4-3

Kaepernick, 28-30. One Super Bowl appearance. This is not about his ability to play.

• Love 14

It does seem odd that no team will take a flyer on Kaepernick,.  Because really, what the hell do teams know about QBs?  Think of the busts over the years - Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Cade McNown, Rick Mirer, Heath Schuler, Ryan Leaf, and Jamarcus Russell, to name a few.  This is the same league that let Tom Brady get to the 6th round, Joe Montana to the 3rd round,   Most teams passed on drafting Aaron Rodgers.  Those are three guys in the conversation for GOAT.  And there have been loads of teams that have taken second, third chances on guys, including some of those I've mentioned.  Cutler, as twoods said,  What about the Vikes giving up a #1 for Sam Bradford?  Kerry Collins?  Matt Cassell?  Mike Vick?  There have been guys with drug/alcohol issues, legal issues, behavior issues, all given another chance.  Why not Kaep?  

I think there was collusion, but it will never be proved.  However, the lawsuit allows Kaep to bring all this out in a public forum.  And the many, many sports talk outlets - TV, radio, online - will all be talking about it, debating it.  Not what the NFL wants.  

• Love 5

Does Kaep think that saying "If you don't hire me, I'm going to sue you" is going to endear him to teams????!!  That's like saying "if you don't love me, I'll kill you."  

Proving that he is not in it to play football, but to get publicity and money for nothing.