Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Well duh.  

Dead friend = best player in the history of the NFL.  Kneeling = you fucking heathen you must burn and be scrubbed from our history.

Seriously.  Do people take one goddamned second to see how RIDICULOUS they are acting?

And I am permanently living on my soapbox but fuck's sake - if *I* kneel during the anthem, it literally has no affect on *your* life.  Christ.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 13

You know, the Ravens didn't sign Kaep because "the fans" didn't like it.   Does this mean they have to take down the Ray Lewis statue because, again, "the fans" are upset?

Best line I heard about the fans protesting the Ravens even thinking about Kaep was a friend who said "How do we even know it's Ravens' fans?   I can just imagine the phone call:   Yeah I'm a Ravens' fan, you shouldn't sign Kaep.   My name.   Uh, Ben Roe ... uhh, Ben Smith, yeah that's it, Ben Smith."

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Best line I heard about the fans protesting the Ravens even thinking about Kaep was a friend who said "How do we even know it's Ravens' fans?   I can just imagine the phone call:   Yeah I'm a Ravens' fan, you shouldn't sign Kaep.   My name.   Uh, Ben Roe ... uhh, Ben Smith, yeah that's it, Ben Smith."

The crazy thing is that Russian Twitter bots are agitating on both sides to stir up conflict. They are pushing takeaknee and boycottNFL hashtags that people in the US are retweeting. 

“They were taking both sides of the argument this past weekend and pushing them out from their troll farms as much as they could to try to just raise the noise level in America and to make a big issue seem like an even bigger issue as they’re trying to push divisiveness in the country,” (Senator James) Lankford said during a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

While I'm sure there are people who say the pledge or stand during the national anthem full of pride and focus, the fact that it is such a routine from a young age means that for a lot of people it has become simply a ceremonial step we go through before the fun begins and there's no real engagement.

Exactly. I've said plenty of times because it's played for everything everywhere it's lost nearly all meaning. Sing it at the Superbowl? You bet. Week 13? Really?

11 hours ago, twoods said:

Typical dumbass. Love all the other idiots for burning things they already paid for. Nobody cares that a small handful of snowflakes are going to boycott football. The NFL is bigger than them, and will still make their billions off the rest of us.

The reason I don't buy any of this "boycott" is that figuratively everyone plays fantasy football. I do. I don't play for money, but we've been playing since like 1997. It's fun. 

So, they may be "boycotting" going to a game, which they probably weren't anyway, or maybe not watching a whole game on tv, but don't tell me you're not still watching redzone, or getting alerts on your phone about your fantasy team. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

You know, the Ravens didn't sign Kaep because "the fans" didn't like it.   Does this mean they have to take down the Ray Lewis statue because, again, "the fans" are upset?

Ray Lewis' statue should be taken down because he got away with Accessory to Murder at the minimum.

• Love 10

At least the color rush uniforms don't look terrible for Packers/Bears.  Good decision not to go all gold on the Pack and all orange on the Bears.

But as a Packers fan, it pains me to say this, but I thought you weren't supposed to wear white after Labor Day?

• Love 4

That gross yellow color last week was terrible on the Rams. Their blue and gold jerseys look so sleek, and then they have to wear that crap. Does anyone know if fans are buying these ugly jerseys? Stop wasting money on uniforms that the players likely hate and will only wear once.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Calvada said:

At least the color rush uniforms don't look terrible for Packers/Bears.  Good decision not to go all gold on the Pack and all orange on the Bears.

Agreed, these are the best color rush uniforms we've seen in quite a while. Not that that's saying a ton!

• Love 2

I was deeply distraught that while the Yankees were imploding I wanted to turn over to the game and instead saw David Carr and a bunch of empty stands.

And every ten minutes they told me the players would resume the field in ten minutes.

Fucking shit!

Romo sounds sad that he could not participate in the Lambeau Leap.  Good.  You can't have nice things, Tony.

These really are the best color rush. Nice and classic for both teams.  The only one I like more is the Giants all-white with the classic GIANTS helmet.

• Love 1

Sweet Jesus, what does it take to get thrown out of a game??  Guy takes a vicious shot right to the head of Adams and doesn't get tossed?  Why the fuck doesn't the league review those hits immediately?  And then the officials are (apparently) telling Aaron Rodgers he can't tell Trevathian what a cheap shot that was?   As we heard earlier, it's fucking shit.  

• Love 1

So far, mostly positive reports on Adams.  With a hit like that, there's the initial relief when you see the player moving, then you begin to wonder about concussion, a serious neck injury, a broken jaw, and so on.  I will never understand the officiating in this game - the guy from the Seahawks got tossed in week 1 for doing nothing, and Trevathan does what everyone seems to agree was a blatantly dirty hit right in front of several officials, and doesn't get tossed.  

• Love 4

I usually don't watch Green Bay games because I'm a nervous Nellie but I felt comfortable pretty quickly with this one.  And all I've been hearing about how good Romo is as a color guy was pretty spot on.  I'm surprised how much I liked his attitude.  Some of my favorite lines from tonight (sometimes paraphrased from memory).

Some time either just before or just after half time.  "Oh look, another flag, because this game just had too much flow."

Some time in the third quarter.  "It feels like the seventh quarter."

I also like the swagger he puts on some of his opinions like "they're going to run X" or "he's not going to snap that ball."  Even if he's wrong, it kind of amuses me when he talks to the audience like I've heard many football watchers talk to their friends like we're all backseat coaches.

50 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I will never understand the officiating in this game

Officiating can be so frustrating but I guess they might have assumed it wasn't as vicious as it looked.  I think it even took Davante lying on the field and not moving before they threw the flag.  But my favorite WTF call was when they picked up the flag after the Bear ran into the punter claiming that the ball was tipped.  But on replay, the punt wasn't even close to being tipped. So I would like to see what the refs saw there.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

First time I heard Romo call a game.   A little chatty, especially during the weather delay, but overall a really good job.   Anything would have been an improvement over Phil Simms but Romo is really good.   He'll learn when to talk as he grows in the job.   I loved the "oh look a flag" line.  

Didn't even notice the color rush uniforms, which means they weren't hideous.

The game itself was a horrorfest.   The Packers won but at a huge cost.   Not just the injury to Adams, but Ty Montgomery went out in the first with busted ribs.   The Bears couldn't hold the ball to save their lives.   The Refs saved them more than once.   For two historic teams, it should have been a much better game.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2017 at 11:44 AM, ganesh said:

It's  also a lie because no one is doing it. 

A Colts "fan" did it, posted to facebook, and was contacted by Fox for comments.  I know his sister.  

On 9/28/2017 at 1:49 AM, twoods said:

Love all the other idiots for burning things they already paid for.

No kidding.  The NFL and athlete already got their cut.  When the idiot burners get over their pique they'll probably go out and buy the stuff again.  Talk about cutting off your nose!

• Love 5

PLEASE READ:

While discussion of the protests as they affect the NFL players and management is allowed, using the discussion as a launching pad to discuss broader issues outside the NFL itself is inherently political. Such posts will be considered off-topic under PTV rules and will be removed at the discretion of the mods.

Thank you,

@MarkHB and @Athena

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Officiating can be so frustrating but I guess they might have assumed it wasn't as vicious as it looked.  I think it even took Davante lying on the field and not moving before they threw the flag.  But my favorite WTF call was when they picked up the flag after the Bear ran into the punter claiming that the ball was tipped.  But on replay, the punt wasn't even close to being tipped. So I would like to see what the refs saw there.

What bugged me was the guy right at the play was not the one who threw the flag, but one of the officials from a distance.  And even then there was a few seconds delay before the flag came out.  It was as if it took all the players immediately motioning for help and the entire Packers medical staff sprinting onto the field to make them think, "Gee, a hit to the head of a defenseless player with the crown of the helmet . .. remind me, is that a penalty?"  I know I'm biased because I'm a Packers fan, but as a football fan, I have no doubt that if that play happened in any game with any player, flags should be raining down from all directions.  

And I agree on the WTF for the no call on the roughing the punter when they claimed the ball was tipped, when no Bear came anywhere close to touching the ball.  Not a good night at all for this officiating crew.  And what is so frustrating is that we all know in the league offices they are saying what everyone else is saying - WTF officials?  That was a hit worthy of ejection! - but they most likely will not publicly say anything about the crew.  Instead, we just won't see this crew working the playoffs, and that will be how they deal with it.  

• Love 1

The LV police department released footage contradicting Michael Bennett's story about being arrested, but there wasn't any footage I saw of the actual arrest which he said was excessive force. There is also a picture of him that is photoshopped on social media of him burning a flag in a locker room. Guy can't catch a break. 

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

The hit was bad, but in looking at the replay, I don't know if he would be considered defenseless.  There was a lot going on and he was still moving forward sandwiched between two other Bears.

It might not fit the technical description for "defenseless receiver" but the fact that Adams was sandwiched between two players did render him somewhat defenseless.  He could try to push forward or be pushed backwards but he couldn't move out of the way because he was held.  That said, I don't think the defensive player was deliberately trying to hurt him or be dirty.  But it was still a bad hit and bad form.  He seemed resigned to the impending find/suspension in the after-game interview.

I appreciated the Seahawks' statement on Sunday, rooting their decision not to participate in the national anthem not simply in pushing back against Trump's attack on a player's right to protest, but expressly as a statement against the injustice the protests addressed.

As a team, we have decided we will not participate in the national anthem. We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country. Out of love for our country and in honor of the sacrifices made on our behalf, we unite to oppose those that would deny our most basic freedoms. We remain committed in continuing to work towards equality and justice for all.

Today, "in an effort to create lasting change and build a more compassionate and inclusive society," they announced the formation of the Seahawks Players Equality & Justice for All Action Fund, "to support education and leadership programs addressing equality and justice."

• Love 11

I know the guy calling the game on FOX has been doing it for a long time (his name escapes me at the moment) but between the combination of a poorly-played game, Ed Hochuli appearing more than the players and either the lack of crowd noise or there are no field mics to pick it up, the announcer's droning voice is making this game torture to listen to.  I just want him to stop. Talking.

• Love 1

I am so tired of announcers gushing about teams that have built new stadiums (in this case, Atlanta).

It is really easy to build a modern day palace when someone else (the taxpayer) is footing the bill. 

If the State of New York told me they would pay for my next house, I would have a freakin' Taj Mahal!

• Love 12

Pats D is straight up garbage this year. They have the talent to be good but no one is on the same page. The lead the league in scoring D last year and they didn't lose that many players, but it's one busted coverage after another. Very strange. Rest of AFC has a chance this year. 

• Love 3

For the money they paid Gilmore, they should've kept Logan Ryan and extended Malcolm Butler. Gilmore has underwhelmed and the secondary chemistry is off. No one ever seems to be on the same page.

a consistent pass rush would help too. 

• Love 2

Another interesting outcomes of early games. I'm disappointed that The Cowboys lost that game, but the Rams did a nice job of getting the win. Especially Todd Gurley and their defense. I think that some analysts are going to blame Dez for this loss, but I think that when Ryan Switzer muffed that punt that swung the momentum and helped shape this loss. I am bit concerned for the Cowboys because they have a tough stretch of games coming up. When I first saw their schedule, I thought this would be an easy game for them, but that wasn't the case. The Rams look legit this year. Maybe the Cowboys will steal a game against a favored opponent on their schedule to help balance out this loss.

Also, I am glad that DeShaun Watson played well and the Texans won. He looked really good. I know the Texans must feel good about that dominating win against the Titans. I'm also glad that the Panthers beat the Patriots, (Though I didn't expect that to happen.) I am glad Cam played well.

And I think it's interesting that the Buffalo Bills are at the top of their division right now. 

I saw all over Twitter complaints about the Rams helmet/jersey combo and how it was garbage and I thought well how bad could it be?

And then I saw a picture.  What the everloving hell was that?  Why did the equipment manager allow that abomination to happen?

DLFDaBqW0AAqx1a?format=jpg

Hm, beating the Cowboys definitely helps in my ongoing quest to actually care about the Rams.  Which would be particularly helpful if the Giants are going to continue sucking like a Hoover this season.

(But, yeah, good gods - those helmets!)

Edited by Bastet

The helmets don't match the rest of the color scheme.   It's like they were going to the throw back uniforms but forgot to pack the helmets.

Heart broken over the Dallas loss.

But glad the Lions didn't lose again on some weird rule.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Pats D is straight up garbage this year. They have the talent to be good but no one is on the same page. The lead the league in scoring D last year and they didn't lose that many players, but it's one busted coverage after another. Very strange. Rest of AFC has a chance this year. 

They're lucky not to be 1-3. 

The Panthers offense is not that good and put up 33 points. 

What one earth happened with Houston/Tenn today?  I know Mariota got hurt, but 57 points?

And the Jags..........a chance to take a leg up in a bad division against a bad team, they manage to blow it. 

AFC South is just pathetic.  As bad as the year has started for the Colts with all the injuries, including Lucky but also to other key players (Vontae Davis, Ryan Kelley), they will either be tied or one game back after 4 weeks. 

Looks like Luck will be out at least one more game possibly as many as 3 more though.  They have a Thursday night game against Jax in 2.5 weeks. If he is not by back the Tenn game in 2 weeks he won't be starting the Thursday game 4 days later

There are more Eagles fans than Charger fans at the game in LA . I was flipping between this and Phillies game and turned it back on right after a flag and the cheer was so loud that i thought it went against the Eagles but it was against the Chargers. 

Also of note, unless you want to be very drunk , i would advise against taking a shot every time an announcer said San Diego instead of LA.  Maybe it was just these announcers because at one point they also called Carson Wentz Carson Palmer.

The Bills have led the division early in the past and have faltered, so I'm not going to be excited until they get into the damn playoffs. Still happy they beat a very good Falcons team- that was surprising.

Wow with the Rams. That offense keeps on cranking. Since the Chargers are terrible LA fans will probably be a little more interested. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, twoods said:

The Bills have led the division early in the past and have faltered, so I'm not going to be excited until they get into the damn playoffs. Still happy they beat a very good Falcons team- that was surprising.

Wow with the Rams. That offense keeps on cranking. Since the Chargers are terrible LA fans will probably be a little more interested. 

I think that the Bills being at the top of their division is surprising. Their defense is doing a nice job of helping them win. I also think it's surprising the Jets are 2-2 so far and have the same record as the Patriots. 

Also, I was looking at the remainder of the Rams's schedule and I think it's possible they could win like 10 or 11 games this year. They are playing well and it looks like they have one of the easier schedules. I think they are also the best team in their division.

And I hope that Derek Carr ends up being okay. I hope his injury isn't too serious. I would have liked to see the Raiders come back and win that game, but the Broncos defense continued to play well and dominated.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

There are more Eagles fans than Charger fans at the game in LA .

That's going to be a problem for a long time for the Chargers. I'm surprised it happened with the Eagles, but there are a lot of teams (Pats, Cowboys, Steelers. . . )

whose fans will outnumber those of the home team. 

What the hell is Carrie Underwood wearing for the theme song?

5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I agree the Patriots defense is terrible. They can't depend on Brady to bail them out every week. 

On 9/28/2017 at 2:57 AM, Irlandesa said:

This isn't about protecting the feelings of the military; this is about avoiding having a conversation about race. 

What's especially funny (read: sad) to me regarding this idea that kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful is the fact that Kaep was told by a Navy Seal that kneeling would be more palatable than sitting (which is what Kaep was originally doing). Kaep was actually TRYING to be respectful of the military by kneeling at the suggestion by a member of the military and still he gets called every name in the book, mostly by people who never even served in military.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The Giants are KILLING ME.

And I am still not convinced that Odell did not tiptoe on the right side of the line in the back of the end zone.  Game-changing moment right there.

Can we just stick a folk in this season already?  I didnt even watch the game today...I already knew the outcome. This is the team's comeuppance for firing Coughlin the way they did. He was the least of what is wrong with this team.

• Love 1