Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Holy Mother of Pearl!

I've been on the road all day and doing the fall vacation thing with the kids so have been unable to watch all the early games. 

It would figure that the one week I pick the Panthers to lose they pull out a win against my most hated NFL team and I didn't even get to watch it!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, stealinghome said:

For the money they paid Gilmore, they should've kept Logan Ryan and extended Malcolm Butler. Gilmore has underwhelmed and the secondary chemistry is off. No one ever seems to be on the same page.

a consistent pass rush would help too. 

There were a couple of penalties that allowed drives to continue when they would have been stopped; Gilmore's hands-to-the-face was a huge one (like, cost them the game) and I think he'll be running some laps this week.

• Love 2

Tonight was another good win for the Chiefs, making them the only undefeated team left in the NFL. I thought that they played well. Alex Smith did a nice job tonight and Kareem Hunt continues to play very well. I enjoy watching Kareem run, he runs with a lot of force. Also, I thought that Washington's defense played well, especially during the first half. I thought that both teams played very physical tonight.

22 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

It's unbelievable... Houston finally has a quarterback!

I think they could make some noise in the playoffs should they get there.  All they've been missing these last few years is a competent QB and it looks like they have that now.  I'm hoping Im seeing shades of Russell Wilson or Dak vs. Robert Griffin though.  All that running around would bother me if I were a Texans fan.

Last night was a good game. I hope people can finally start putting some respect on Kirk Cousins' name.  He made a lot of big plays throughout the game and delivered the game winning TD pass but the receiver dropped it. The NFC East is so crazy right now.  I dont think anyone put the Eagles and Washington ahead of the Giants and Cowboys.  But those 2 QBs are playing really well.

• Love 1

Honey, THAT'S the story of the Chicago Bears!  When Jay Cutler was the best quarterback you've had in thirty years, you are the Spinal Tap drummer of the NFL!  (Crossing fingers for Mitch Trubiskey).

Loving that the Chiefies are finally getting some notice.

• Love 2

Soooo, after looking at illustrious QBs Brandon Weeden, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin and T.J. Yates, the Titans have apparently decided to sign Weeden after Marcus Mariota suffered a hamstring injury.

No Kaep.

Maybe it was Jerry Jones' old comment about Weeden, "a thing of beauty throwing the football" that clinched the deal.

ETA. I see that Warren Buffet bought a stake in Browns' owner Jimmy Haslem's company Flying J. Remember that time Haslem's ownership was in question because he had to settle a huge fraud case with the Feds? Oh, that's right. He did have to settle with the Feds, but no one ever complained about his ownership. 

But Kaep. . . !

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Fukui San said:

As the QB of the Texans, he's basically the drummer in Spinal Tap anyway.

17 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Honey, THAT'S the story of the Chicago Bears!  When Jay Cutler was the best quarterback you've had in thirty years, you are the Spinal Tap drummer of the NFL!  (Crossing fingers for Mitch Trubiskey).

The Cleveland Browns fans think the two of you are adorable.

• Love 9

Hiring Kaep is a two-pronged problem:  sure, you might have to deal with repurcussions from your fan base and inside your locker room.  BUT, if you do hire him and he doesn't perform, or if he came in to replace an injured QB that is now healed and Kaep goes back to the bench or gets cut, what kind of protest can the team expect if he gets benched or fired?  You're damned just by opening that whole can of worms.

• Love 1

Not really. If he doesn't perform then you have clear evidence he couldn't get it done. You can get ahead of that. Everyone knows the bottom line is that if you can't perform on the field then you don't have a spot on the roster. That's why if you can still sack the QB you can obstruct a murder investigation and no one will care. 

The problem is that no one is even giving him a workout. I think more GMs are afraid of the blowback of he is successful because everyone will one that they colluded against him. 

• Love 6

I know I am channeling Tyra Banks but goddamn it Cam I was rooting for you!  We were all rooting for you!

And even worse than what he said was the look on his face when he said it.  What an ass.

I always had a soft spot for him but pfft.  Over it.

• Love 8

I saw only the quote on FB and was hoping there was some more context to it. That was really condescending though. 

Also it's not "a female". The correct usage would be "a woman talk about routes" or "a female reporter talk about routes." She's just doing her job like everyone else and needs to write copy for her news outlet. 

Cam has gotten beat up in the media here in Charlotte (and elsewhere) and rightfully so.  To make matters worse, after his inane comment during the press conference, he had several chances to apologize but he seems to have just kept on digging that hole he got himself into.

• Love 1

From the linked article, when she followed up with him after the press conference, and he allowed maybe he should have said it was funny to hear “reporters” talk about routes and that, if she actually did know about them, then she knew more than most reporters, she ended by asking Newton – whom she had introduced herself to on the first day of her employment with The Observer in October 2016 – if he knew her name after she had covered the team almost every day for the past year.

Newton said he did not.

“Jourdan Rodrigue, Charlotte Observer,” she said, and then walked away.

Go ahead, Ms. Rodgrigue.

• Love 6

The problem with Cam's idiotic comment is that the troglodytes have now oozed out of the sewer saying "yeah, he's right!  A woman never played so how can she report on this?"

Hey.  Dickheads. How many games has the beloved Adam Shefter played?  How about Trey Wingo?

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I'm not knocking Trey or Shefty because I like them both, just saying that argument is MORONIC.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The problem with Cam's idiotic comment is that the troglodytes have now oozed out of the sewer saying "yeah, he's right!  A woman never played so how can she report on this?"

Hey.  Dickheads. How many games has the beloved Adam Shefter played?  How about Trey Wingo?

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I'm not knocking Trey or Shefty because I like them both, just saying that argument is MORONIC.

I Never Played The Game was the title of Howard Cosell's autobiography. It's not a new jab.

• Love 4

The best come back was one woman reporter said "Good thing no one asks me as a crime reporter if I had ever -- oh stolen a laptop, before I am allowed to report on crime."  

Dannon has dropped Cam's endorsement deal.   Little harsh, but since he hasn't apologized yet, I am okay with it.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know I am channeling Tyra Banks but goddamn it Cam I was rooting for you!  We were all rooting for you!

And even worse than what he said was the look on his face when he said it.  What an ass.

I always had a soft spot for him but pfft.  Over it.

Lmaoo.Yes! I try to like Cam but he makes it sooo freaking hard! 

His temper tantrum (and subsequent double down when criticized) after the SB loss is what did it for me.  This isnt some 60 year old "get off my lawn" old fart.  This guy has probably always had women reporters around at the very least in his professional career.  I dont know what he was thinking or why he thought it would be ok to actually say that crap out loud, infront of a microphone.  Like really dude?  He might be just a tad bit too comfortable up there or maybe he just thrives on negative attention and needed to drum some up after everyone was praising the team for beating the Pats. He might come out this week and throw for 350 and 4 TDs.

I dont know if Cam knew about the reporter's racist tendencies?...but even if he did, there's a way he could have addressed her specifically without insulting all women reporters.  Smh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Cam was a moron for saying what he said, but Jourdan is a racist bitch.  Maybe he already knew that about her. 

He didn't even know her name.

Cam is the best QB we've ever had in Charlotte. But the constant circus around him gets tiring.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

He didn't even know her name.

Cam is the best QB we've ever had in Charlotte. But the constant circus around him gets tiring.

He is the best we have had in a while but damn, you'd think he'd learn how to play the press game by now. I didn't see the interview nor do I really give a shit  what happened. The Panthers just won against the Pats on their turf. Give a nice interview Cam and go home. 

More and more he's acting like a petulant child and his game play really isn't all that anymore.

All white is rarely a flattering look on anyone, but it's made even worse when the white jerseys and white pants aren't the same shade of white, as they appear not to be at least on my tv. Side-eyeing whoever made the Pats' color rush unis so hard right now. That should be basic!

Tampa Bay's don't look so bad though, from what I've seen.

It looks like when the players sweat their jerseys take on a darker tint.  I just turned it over because baseball is pissing me off and the lineman's jersey had a bluish hue, but the kicker's uni looked the same from top to bottom.

I can't find Cam's apology to where I can link it but it's all over Twitter.  He sounds sincere and like someone who fucked up.

Whether he means it or not is for him to know, but I hope he does, because I'd rather have him not give an apology if he doesn't mean it rather than be insincere.

And there is no way on earth he's the only player who thinks it.

• Love 1

The start of this game has been shaky so far.  Granted Tampa is doing a good job of getting to Tom Brady and preventing the Patriots from scoring TDs.  Though I feel like Tampa would have more points on the board if Jameis wasn't so jumpy. I think he knows this is a big game for the Bucs and is really excited. It looks like that is having an affect on how he has been playing so far. Maybe he will settle down as the game progresses.

This is by far New England's best defensive game of the season, and kind of the worst offensive game, understandable given the loss of Gronk.

Brady's been hit so much this year. Weird since the plan seemed to be to take pressure off of him with the bolstered running attack.

Also, I've never seen what happened to the Center happen before. Andrews was looking around in vain for his lost helmet while the RB changed direction to barrel right at him. Pretty funny.

• Love 1

This ended up being a rough showing for Jameis Winston and also Nick Folk. I feel like they both played a large role in this loss. Jameis let his nerves get the best of him and was overthrowing the ball too much and Nick kept missing field goals. They left a significant amount points on the board, and that was the difference for the Bucs. If they had performed better I feel like the Bucs could have won this game. Especially because their defense did a nice job of getting to Tom Brady and not letting the Patriots score a lot of points on them. 

• Love 1

Good Lord, the Pats can't make anything easier on themselves. No way is this a Super Bowl team. MVP for the Pats tonight was the Tampa Bay kicker (who I do feel quite badly for).

I think I've figured it out, though: the Pats' problem this year is that this team is dumb as fuck. They're not going anywhere until they get SMARTER.

• Love 1

Damn, the Bucs could have won this game. Their defense was outstanding, but Folk is in a huge funk. That 31 yard miss was brutal to watch. Winston did well the last quarter but his last pass was way too fast- his wide receivers weren't even set. 

Really, NFL, can you be so bleedin' obvious as to who you prefer (Roger notwithstanding)?  You put the "Patriots" in all-white (good guys riding in on a white horse) against the Bucs in all-red like they're a bunch of red devils.  Those unis are as goshawful as those Underoos rip-offs that the NY hockey Rangers wear!

I think the Pats uniforms were a makeshift thing, because their actual Color Rush outfits are blue and both teams couldn't wear dark colors.  The shirts were their regular road jerseys, and  the pants were a one-off deal as they don't usually wear white pants at all (silver at home and blue on the road).  Apparently the Pats will be wearing their actual CR outfits (which are probably one of the better CR looks) in the Atlanta game.

Does anyone else wish TB had a Color Rush outfit based on their old Creamsicle colors?

22 hours ago, mojoween said:

I started eating Dannon Oikos specifically because of Cam and the NFL contract and I'm not stopping.

I'm never going to be Cam's friend but that is damn good yogurt with not much sugar.

I think Dannon dropping Cam was a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction, but I agree about the Oikos. Most yogurts have enough added sugar to rival a Snickers bar. The Triple Zero is one of the rare few that doesn't and still tastes really good. I don't think I can give it up either.

• Love 1

Both chocolate and apple cinnamon Oikos are crack in a cup.  Don't even taste like yogurt.

If my choice were to be a Patriot or a devil, well book me a one way ticket on the highway to hell baby.

But I totally agree that a creamsicle color rush would be the BEST.  Then again, I still prefer the orange buccaneer logo over the new one. 

On 10/6/2017 at 9:09 PM, stealinghome said:

Didn't they do a creamsicle color rush a year or two ago? Or was that another team? 

I think it's Miami's; not sure if Denver's in on the orange as well.