Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm surprised the Panthers won this week. Not a single touch down and Cam got sacked a shit ton- he had zero time in the pocket to get passes out and when he did they were overthrown! I'm glad he's ok but Olson being out with a broken foot doesn't bode well. 

Our stats are already better than last seasons!

Overall my picks this week sucked! 

Edited by Mountainair
15 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The JETS scored more points than the Cowboys this week.

I am so depressed right now.  Where's that bottle of tequila?

lol.  On the bright side at least so far most of the teams in that division is like 1-1. The Giants might even go 0-2 after tomorrow night if they lose to Detroit. At least the Cowboys haven't lost to a division rival yet and it was tough opponent on the road. When I saw their schedule this year, I was thinking some of the games could end up being pretty tough.  This was one of those games but hopefully they will bounce back. Their next couple of games are winnable, IMO. Maybe a couple of wins in a row will help them get back into a good groove. 

I also think that Trevor Siemian is better than a lot of people (including several analysts) give him credit for. He played a big part in tonight's win for the Broncos. I've seen multiple analysts make fun of him and say he's below average. But  I think he's decent, and that he was decent last year. 

Edited by Jx223
1 hour ago, twoods said:

The Chargers kicker is probably going to get  dropped. Tough losses the past two weeks, but it's what they always did in the past.

Rooting for an Asian American athlete, but I couldn't blame the Chargers if they dropped him.

50 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The JETS scored more points than the Cowboys this week.

I am so depressed right now.  Where's that bottle of tequila?

Tom Brady outrushed Ezekial Elliott today, 9 yards to 8.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I also think that Trevor Siemian is better than a lot of people (including several analysts) give him credit for. He played a big part in tonight's win for the Broncos. I've seen multiple analysts make fun of him and say he's below average. But  I think he's decent, and that he was decent last year. 

I agree that Siemian seems thoroughly decent as a QB.  That's all you need if the Broncos D is in it's accustomed top 3 level.

• Love 3

I didn't watch MNF last week so this was my first exposure to the new song and all I have to say about that hot mess is Jason Derulo is super fine.  Hot damn.

I wish they would show halftime inside the stadium because it's never a bad time to celebrate 18-1.  I wanna see the ten year celebration, but I think it might be streaming.

• Love 5

The Giants line sucks, especially Flowers and that is completely on Reese who shouldn't have a job anymore.  Note to the Maras, keeping a GM years after he should have been gone just because you want "stability" can be as bad as going through three in five years.

However, it's time to stop protecting Eli from criticism.  The first two sacks were completely on him as he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball.  What was he going to do?  He can't scramble to make a play anymore.  His lack of mobility is becoming a major liability for the team.  Add that to his increasingly erratic arm (either overthrowing or underthrowing passes that get intercepted) and the Giants have a problem.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Christ, Brandon Marshall, you have to make that catch!  I didn’t want him signed, and absolutely nothing has happened to alter that opinion.

The Giants have quite a few additional problems – the Swiss cheese o-line, no running game, Eli being Eli (mostly good, sometimes great, and then sometimes WT actual F, are you a rookie?!), the three missed tackles that gave up six on the ensuing punt return, stupid penalties, etc. – but, good grief, he’s a waste.

I know it's early, but this is shaping up to be a long season.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

The Giants were supposed to just need Odell back.    Guess that wasn't it either.   Eli is what he always was.  But they have been poor the last 2 years.   I'm starting to think its a coaching problem.   

But damn it does feel nice to say - Lions are in 1st in the NFC North at 2-0.   So let's give them some credit for playing well.

• Love 1

I am 100% on board with saying the Giants problems start at the tippy top and flow downhill. 

The fact that THIS FRANCHISE has no running game?  Shameful.  Jerry rode the wave of Ernie Accorsi's signings and his own legacy is looking pretty slim.

• Love 2

So....Brandon showed last night why I wasnt high on him coming here. He drops wayyy too many balls to be considered a top level WR.  Shoot even just to be a decent WR. 

And does anyone else think Eli intentionally got that delay of game penalty on the 4th down to save his coach from making a bad decision by going for it rather than kick the field goal?  Am I giving Eli too much credit here?  Because the alternative is nauseating to thinking about.  A 2-time SB winning QB, in his what? 13th or 14th year can't keep track of the play clock in a critical moment (frankly any moment) of the game?  I can't.

This season is already a bust.  We finally have a good defense and the offense is shit.  That guy Flowers is terrible.  They replayed one play in particular where the Detroit player simply slapped his hands down and ran right past him....I believe the play resulted in a sack.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Christ, Brandon Marshall, you have to make that catch!  I didn’t want him signed, and absolutely nothing has happened to alter that opinion.

The Giants have quite a few additional problems – the Swiss cheese o-line, no running game, Eli being Eli (mostly good, sometimes great, and then sometimes WT actual F, are you a rookie?!), the three missed tackles that gave up six on the ensuing punt return, stupid penalties, etc. – but, good grief, he’s a waste.

I know it's early, but this is shaping up to be a long season.

Despite all the problems they had in this game, that pass to Marshall should have tied the game.  That drop though finished them off.  I can see why Marshall has never been in the playoffs before.

Bad QB play with Eli looking like a rookie QB at times, not getting rid of the ball.  Not to mention getting sacked without getting touched.  You have a coach who REFUSES to adjust his plays to help the line.  A lot of NFL teams have been going to six or seven offensive linemen for running plays over the last year or so but you rarely, if ever see this from the Giants despite having four TE's on the roster.  I will take having one less receiver out there so we can have another guy on the line.  Ereck Flowers LITERALLY does not lay a hand on the guy he's supposed to block or waits until the guy is behind him before he does.

I've said what I'm going to say about Reese but will add again that he should be fired and it's an indictment on the Maras that they have refused to do so.  The Maras are some of the best owners in the NFL but their decision to keep Reese for the sake of "stability" is bad ownership on their part. 

As my brother said about McAdoo, he has all the authority of a substitute teacher.  Even with a playoff appearance last year, he's looking like Ray Handley 2.0.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

With all the teams with horrific offenses it has to be said again:

FUCk the NFL for their chicken shit avoidance of giving Colin Kaepernick another shot with a team.  If anything, they're probably deathly afraid he would succeed.

I really wish the Redskins had signed Kaepernick, instead of the prolonged fuckfest we fans had to endure with getting Cousins signed for another year. 

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time seeing how the Cowboys are ranked above the top tier soccer clubs like Real Madrid, Man U, Barca, Juve, Paris. Just of the top of my head. 

The NFL is in a catch-22 with Kap now. Someone is eventually going to sign him out of desperation, and he's probably going to do well enough, so they're all going to look like idiots. But not signing him and using the "he doesn't play the system" excuse makes them look like they're colluding. 

They should have just signed him as a backup somewhere, and the story would have gone away. 

• Love 3

These color rush uniforms are awful. The 49ers' are just blah and lacking. The Rams' are so bright they probably glow in the dark. It's like the NFL has purposely made them ugly to see how many suckers they can get to buy them.

• Love 3

I like the Niners color rush but the helmets looks ridiculous because there is no gold in the uni.

Someone on Twitter was amusing because they put up a pic of LA and a pic of Wolverine with the caption "who wore it better?"

Yeah, I'm not exactly riveted, but I am at least enjoying this game during my breaks in puttering when I pay attention to it rather than just having it as background noise. 

I spent so many years complaining about not having an NFL team in L.A. anymore, and then wailed, "But I don't like the Rams or Chargers!" when we went from zero to two; I have a close friend with a strong connection to the Rams' stadium in progress, so I'm trying to become a fan so I can enjoy my future tickets, but it's a slow process.  Better this season than last so far, though!  If the 49ers pull off a comeback and I get annoyed, that will be a good sign.

Updated to say I truly enjoyed those final minutes, and did some wincing and cheering I did not at all expect out of this game.  Go Rams?

Edited by Bastet

Turned out to be an offensive shoot out.   Defense couldn't do diddly.

But I agree the color rush uniforms have got to go.   It's like they picks the minor color of each team's uniform and made it the SOLE color for color rush.    It's not like you think yellow for the Rams and black for the 49ers to begin with.   Then they take the hideousness up a notch by making it the worst shade they can.   They could have done it so much better -- if it had to be done at all.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Jared Goff seems to have progress a lot from last year, where he didn't seem like he belonged in the NFL.  Would he have done this well with Jeff Fisher still in charge?

It helps that he has Sammy Watkins as a target. Damn the Bills for letting him go. Who would have thought that the Rams would be such offensive juggernauts after how terrible they were last year? Hope this continues.

Todd Gurley has been actually used in the offense too.

No, he would not have progressed this well with Fischer.   Fischer didn't know what to do with Gurley and it sure would not have occurred to him to make Goff and Gurley work well together.

I really hope every single player takes a knee this week.

Goodell actually did something right for once and issued a statement this morning condemning the comments.

Back to actual football - London game is at 9:30, I am so happy that I get football ALL DAY tomorrow.

• Love 9

I love football all day!  I'll have a brief break when I go to my parents house for my sister's 50th but I can usually take over the remote since I'm the baby of the family.

Maybe we'll get another tie.  That would be stupendous.

• Love 4

I'd love for Bennet and the other players who submitted the proposal for Unity Month or whatever it was called to call up Goddell and co (who no doubt probably tossed the paperwork in the trash immediately) to say... "So yeah about our proposal?"  If there's one good thing about the Idiot In Chief's remarks is that it now forces owners and commissioners to speak up when they'd most assuredly keep quiet. 

I can not wait to see whats going to happen tmrw. I want every last one of the players to kneel. 

• Love 2

yeah, I totally want to watch the  game on my little tiny laptop screen.   I can see why the NFL did this -- no tv channel was going to interrupt their morning shows for this game.   But unless you have a smart tv, you are stuck watching it on a computer/laptop.

I think this should be on the scroll during all games since too many people seem to have forgotten America's core principles:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

• Love 9

So Sam Ponder is really the permanent host of Countdown.  Huh.

Send the teams all the fuck way over to London and then not even put the game on TV.  So what is the point of even going there?

But I have to say even seeing reports of the Ravens getting a beatdown soothes my soul.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5