Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Football is back!!   Football is back!!!   Football is back!!!!

My boss is from Boston, and he was walking around the office asking "Are you ready for some football?" and going on about the "Super Bowl Champion Patriots" all morning.  Fortunately, I worked from home this afternoon and only had to put up with that for half a day.

• Love 2

Unreal. I got to hand it to the Chiefs- their defense settled down in the second half while their offense lit it up. Seeing all those sad faces in Gillette has made my week! Too bad the East sucks so they will win yet another division. 

Who is this Hunt kid? Just wow. I'm sure people are swarming to pick him up on their fantasy team if they haven't already done so.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6

That was a great win for the chiefs to kickoff the NFL season. I am glad that Kareem Hunt bounced back from fumbling his first carry and ended up playing very well. He did a really nice job tonight helping the team score. I also give credit to Alex Smith for having one of his best games and actually throwing some deep passes and Justin Houston for making some really nice plays tonight as well.

I also hope that Eric Berry's injury isn't as serious as it looks. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

Ew, what a putrid start for the Pats. I'm not surprised they lost--a lot of people were like "oh, easy win!", but I knew the Chiefs would give the Pats a tough game--but I didn't expect the Pats to look so BAD, and make so many unforced (mental) errors. I'm just hopeful that the rest of the season goes the way it did the last time the Pats lost big to KC!

The coaching really sucked balls tonight. That was the worst-coached Pats game I've seen in a loooooong time. I face-palmed when they went for it on 4th and short early in the first half and didn't get it, and it was all downhill from there. By the way, Josh McDaniels: Tom Brady is kinda really really really good at the QB sneak. Just an FYI. You might have him try it sometime.

The O definitely missed Edelman tonight, and you can tell they haven't adjusted to life without him. That's to be expected, and it's just going to take time. You can also tell Brady and the new receivers/TEs aren't on the same page yet; that too will come. But I'm really disappointed in Gronk and his no-show act. He's going to need to make much more of an impact going forward.

My biggest concern, though, is the D. They have no excuse for being that bad. That unit better improve in one heck of a hurry, or BB better trade the farm for some good DL/LBs, or they better lure Nink out of retirement. Or all of the above.

Hoping Hightower, Berry, and Amendola all heal quickly.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

Hunt really had me jacked during training camp/preseason, but you never know about rookies.  The best part? First carry/first fumble, and he didn't let it get in his head.  Damn.

Echoing the good thoughts re: Hightower & Amendola.  

But...Eric.  He's the team's heart, and a fan favorite, and we're all hovering outside the training room right now. 

2 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I love Patriots and am so. over. the constant hate thrown at them

All due respect to Brady & co.  I'm more about our win than their loss.

Now, if this had been Broncos or Raiders, their loss would be as sweet as our win.

• Love 1

*Sigh*

That was an absolute shitfest, well, for us Patriots fans at least.

KC played really well. Tons of props to Hunt for redeeming his earlier gaffe and I hope Eric Berry is okay.

As for the Pats, our defense was awful. I mean really, really awful. The offense wasn't much better and the coaching was even worse. I'm afraid to go on social media because I can only imagine the memes that are being rolled out right now.

• Love 4

Looks like they are going to need some filler the rest of the season:

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/19-0-watch-preview-of-where-new-england-patriots-could-be-imperfect-in-nfl-regular-season

19-0 Watch, Vol. 1: Patriots' quest for perfect season begins Thursday

Are the Patriots going to go 19-0? That looked like a “probably” before training camp and it’s since been demoted to a “maybe.” Either way, the Pats are good enough to do it and it will be on our minds until they lose a game.

So with that in mind, we’ll keep a close watch on the potential perfect campaign, taking into consideration what’s going on with future opponents and whether the Pats end up being as dominant as initially expected. From week to week, we’ll revise expectations for each part of the schedule, with a number between zero and 10 assigned to the chances of the Pats getting upset.

• Love 8

Not sure what happened last night.   Brady almost getting a safety?   Seriously?   He's too smart to do that regardless of what else is happening on the field.

Considering what a Machiavelli Belichek is, I have to almost wonder if he did this on purpose so they can concentrate on each game and put the the "perfect season" crap to rest right away.   ALMOST WONDER.  

Did Josh McDaniels call the plays before?    Matt Patricia has to spend less time trolling Goodell (although that's fun) and more time working with the D.  

Glad to see the Chiefs win.......and the Pats lose. 

Huge game by Hunt for the Chiefs.  Many fantasy players furiously clicking to pick him up this morning. 

Surprised NE got beat deep twice.  Don't normally see that happened with a disciplined team. 

If Amendola is out for next game or longer they are going to struggle on offense for the next few games. 

Sounds like KC lost Berry for the season though.  Scan today but will be shocked if its not a torn Achilles. 

NE really should have been up by more in the first half.  Red zone production uncharacteristically bad.  I wasn't paying attention to who they had in but surprised they are using two tight ends with Gronk and Allen in those situations.  Allen is a beast in the red zone, if he can catch the damn ball.  Always been a problem.  Even if they double Gronk , Allen should be open. 

Smith as well looked great. 

Brady went long to Cooks several times and I think only hit him once or twice. 

With the exception of the Giants and the postseason, I have little interest in the NFL nowadays and I've felt that way for a long time.  The professional game largely bores me and college football is my favorite.

That being said, go Giants!!!!!

The Las Vegas police union has sent a letter to Gooddell demanding that he investigate Michael Bennett for his "lies" about them, and "hope you will take appropriate action against Michael Bennett".

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vegas-pd-asks-nfl-to-investigate-michael-bennett-for-obvious-false-allegations/

The NFL told them no.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rejects-las-vegas-police-union-request-wont-investigate-michael-bennett/

I believe the Chiefs have confirmed Berry tore his Achilles and is done for the year. All good healing vibes to him...that just blows SO MUCH. He's had to deal with way more than his fair share of shit. Someone up there, please give him a break.

• Love 3

About a month ago, Mike Golic speculated that the owner reluctance to sign Kaepernick could be, in part, because of pressure from police unions. That sounds like an increasingly plausible possibility.

If the Steelers win this Sunday, Ben Roethlisberger will have more victories in Cleveland than any Browns quarterback since their return.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

It`s not often you get to laugh at the Patriots (because they're usually so good *grumble*) so I enjoyed last night. They'll be back, "Evil Bill" won't let it be any other way,

Even if the Patriots really stumble all year, this could be a year that 8-8 could win the AFC East.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

It`s not often you get to laugh at the Patriots (because they're usually so good *grumble*) so I enjoyed last night. They'll be back, "Evil Bill" won't let it be any other way,

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, at least in the opinion of this native Clevelander.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Just to be clear, it's the union, not the department. The same with Cleveland and the national anthem crap.

Ahh thank you for the clarification.

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Even if the Patriots really stumble all year, this could be a year that 8-8 could win the AFC East.

So the Jets have a chance?

Bwahahahaha I don't think they can stumble into eight wins.  I really only said that to amuse myself.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Just to be clear, it's the union, not the department. The same with Cleveland and the national anthem crap.

Here in Cleveland, the police chief even announced it was a union thing and not even all members of the union agreed with it. A couple days later, it seems that there are more than enough CPD members willing to carry the flag onto the field and it would happen as always. Apparently, someone at the top in the union decided they should boycott without actually asking the membership. Dummy.

• Love 4

Here's a link to a story about the resolution of the Browns/Cleveland Police situation.  A group of players got together with a group from the police department and they actually started a dialogue; each side explaining their feelings. The outcome is that not only will the Browns players stand in solidarity with the police department and other first responders during the anthem; but the players are going to be participating in various community outreach programs alongside the police department in hopes of bringing the community together and improving relationships between the police and citizenry.  Imagine that!  People talking rather than reacting and actually trying to solve problems!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/08/cleveland-browns-players-to-take-field-with-police-and-stand-for-anthem-together/?utm_term=.3fe1ffa05206

• Love 10
22 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I love Patriots and am so. over. the constant hate thrown at them.  HOWEVER, too many Pats fans act like jackholes, and that is also not delightful.

I'm not sure how old you are, but there's a long-standing tradition of the fans that actually go to the games in Foxboro being jackholes, going way back to the Sullivan era.  Nowadays, of course, they act that way because they think they're great; back then it was probably because the most entertaining thing one could do at a Patsies' game was get hammered on Schaefer.

As for what happened last night, I'm blaming short rest.  They played two weeks longer than KC did last winter ;) .

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I saw a meme today that said the last three times the Patriots won a Super Bowl, they lost their first regular season game.  Any truth to that?

Not the last three, but I believe it HAS happened three times. New England lost their first regular season game and went on to win the Super Bowl in 2001, 2003, and 2014. The 2004 team and last year's teams won the opener and Super Bowl both.

10 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Not the last three, but I believe it HAS happened three times. New England lost their first regular season game and went on to win the Super Bowl in 2001, 2003, and 2014. The 2004 team and last year's teams won the opener and Super Bowl both.

That should have been said originally: the last three times the Patriots lost their season opener, they've won the Super Bowl.

• Love 1

DeShaun Watson in already for the Texans.   Why???    You had all off season to notice Savage was not your starter.   Although I will say the Texans might still be distracted.   But so should the Jags with worry about their families.

18 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Have to deal with Joe Buck & Troy Aikman for the Packers' opener, but at least we don't have to endure Jeff Triplette also.  Glass half full - glass half empty??

Aikman is OK but, I hate Buck ?

Thankfully, he's not on the Giants game although I should get in my first Shut Up, Collinsworth! tonight 

• Love 5
On 9/8/2017 at 3:42 PM, xaxat said:

If the Steelers win this Sunday, Ben Roethlisberger will have more victories in Cleveland than any Browns quarterback since their return.

So this basically sums up that rivalry:

fkcl8g7uvlgacuftjhh8.gif

• Love 4

That ejection of Jeremy Lane was absolute BS. He got his facemask pulled, which caused him to go to the ground. I think y'all know I'm a Seahawks fan, but speaking generally (even when the call helps my team) I hate it when there's a valid argument that refs are affecting a game/reffing exceptionally badly. Also I could do without the usual Aaron Rogers tongue bath. The guy is a good quarterback and seems like a decent human, so this isn't a knock against him. It's a knock against the commentators. Come on, Buck/Aikman, say something USEFUL, don't just jabber to hear your own voices.

For reference, here's the video of Lane's alleged punch:

• Love 1

I shook my head when Troy talked at some length at how Pete Carroll is giving the refs a tongue-lashing for those questionable calls.  Do you think they outright laughed in Carroll's face as he lectured them on playing the game with integrity and following the rules?  I know I would have. 

• Love 1

The problem is Jeremy Lane no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.   If the  Refs THINK something happened, and the GB player's head was moving, then it gets called.   You want the benefit of the doubt?   Be known as a clean player  -- not a moron who plays dirty.

But yeah the tongue bathing of Rodgers gets old real fast.

Packers defense looked really good - Mike Daniels especially.  Although at times the Packers DBs were bailed out by drops by Seattle (Jimmy Graham - what has happened to him?  Used to be so sure-handed) and by their front 7 pressuring Wilson into some bad passes.  The 'hawks o-line was really back on their heels a lot.  But then so was the Packers o-line, especially in the first half..  I don't think FOX thought it would be this defensive battle when they made it the game of the week.  

As a Packers fan, what I love about Rodgers is how pissed he looks when he throws an INT.  Never just shrugs it off like Favre did.  That drove me nuts. 

• Love 1

Stray non-football observation, but a simple trumpet solo of the National Anthem (as in the Giants/Cowboys game) is just more lovely and moving than the musical machinations singers have begun doing to outdo each other since Whitney Houston's sterling performance at the Super Bowl all of those years ago.  

Edited by pennben
  • Love 7

The trumpet was beautiful!  Different sport, but my favorite national anthem renditions were the playoff Cleveland Cavaliers games: someone started the song to get the crowd going, but then stopped and allowed the crowd to sing it.  I like when people remember it isn't supposed to be just a performance.

• Love 3