Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 11/10/2017 at 2:43 PM, Silver Raven said:

Never try to listen to an Oakland A's baseball broadcast.  What's going on on the field is fourth on the priority of the announcers who like to talk about:

1-The history of the game and all of the people they know

2-Their personal lives and all of the things they and their kids do

3-Interviews with people who come to visit them in the booth, even if only tangential to baseball.

I've actually watched an A's broadcast, I think last season when they were playing the Nats and I thought it was hysterical.

• Love 1
On 11/10/2017 at 5:56 AM, mojoween said:

I am curious why I haven’t heard anyone but Dan LeBatard bring up the incredible coincidence that Jerry Jones suddenly has a problem with Roger Goodell at the same time Jones’s player is in legal trouble with the league.  I mean, it seems obvious, right?

The New York Times, at least, is calling it for what it is. Just ran across the article!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2017 at 2:43 PM, Silver Raven said:

Never try to listen to an Oakland A's baseball broadcast.  What's going on on the field is fourth on the priority of the announcers who like to talk about:

1-The history of the game and all of the people they know

2-Their personal lives and all of the things they and their kids do

3-Interviews with people who come to visit them in the booth, even if only tangential to baseball.

I wonder if NESN has the tape of Don Orsillo (now in San Diego) and Jerry Remy arguing over the path the moon was going to take over the stadium.  And it wasn't even the World Series eclipse moon, just an ordinary moon!

• Love 1

Question - don't you lose a timeout when you have a failed challenge?  In the Packers @ Bears game, the Bears challenged the ruling on the field that the runner was out of bounds, because they thought he scored.  They did not win the challenge, since the ruling was changed to a fumble and a touchback giving the Packers the ball.  Or was that considered "winning" the challenge, since he wasn't out of bounds, but was in bounds when he fumbled, the ball touched the pylon and it's a turnover??  I was wondering this during the game because the Bears kept all three of their timeouts, and used one to kick a field goal with 0:01 left in the half.

I was glad to hear that the Seahawks are being investigated for violating the concussion protocol.   Russell Wilson was told to leave the game to get checked, so he went to the sideline, talked to either a doctor or a trainer for about 2 seconds, walked down the sideline into and right out of the medical tent, grabbed his helmet and was back in the game, missing only one play.  Not exactly the type of concussion check I would want them to do for a player on my team.  Talk about disregard for the wellbeing of your players!   

47 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Or was that considered "winning" the challenge, since he wasn't out of bounds,

Fox won the challenge because the call was overturned.   So it was a "successful" challenge to an incorrect call on the field.   On the other hand, it cost them possession of the ball.   It's on Fox because he's  HC.   But there is a challenge guy up in the booth who tells the coach to challenge.   HC can overrule but rarely does.   Challenge guy should have known the implication.   Also stupid ass rule that gives the other team the ball for a fumble they don't recover.

3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Where the Steelers the only team to wear military division insignia (82nd Airborne etc.) on the back of their helmets today?

Alejandro Villanueva had decided to give each member of the team army helmet decals in honor of Veterans Day. He said he cleared doing this through the Steelers. I think he was just the only player that asked about doing this.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21353509/alejandro-villanueva-presenting-pittsburgh-steelers-army-helmet-decals-veterans-day-weekend

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The Packers lost a fumble like this a few years ago.  I think it was James Jones reaching the ball out, it was knocked out of his hands, hit the pylon, thus a turnover & touchback.  It might be a stupid ass rule, but all the players know the pylon is part of the end zone, it's why they reach the ball out to touch it.  I thought watching the game and seeing the first replay it was a fumble and should be Packers' ball, but I also thought they might say the ground caused the fumble.  I wonder at what point during the review, it dawned on the Bears that it was not a score, but a fumble.  It really would have been a different game if they hadn't challenged; it would have been 1st and goal from the 2, and if they scored, it would have tied the game.  Instead they were chasing the Packers the rest of the game.  

Brett Hundley actually stayed in the pocket, and completed some passes down field.  Baby steps, but some progress.   He completed passes to 9 different players, and didn't throw any picks.  Fuller came close to getting at least 2, but the stat sheet looks fine for a rainy November day at Soldier Field.  And Brett remembered to give Aaron Rodgers the one-sided hug, avoiding Aaron's right collarbone.  

That was a rough game for the Cowboys. I had thought that they could beat Atlanta but too many of their key players have injuries. (Sean lee, Tyron Smith, Dan Bailey etc...). Zeke's suspension hurts as well.  Tyron Smith might be the player they are missing the most, Chaz Green was awful in his place.  The way he kept getting beat and couldn't protect Dak was hard to watch. 

I am glad that at least Dak didn't get hurt in today's game. I hope that as many players as possible get healthy soon. If not the Cowboys could be in for some more rough games. Next week is Philly with their top run defense. It could be another ugly outing for the Cowboys if some people don't come back. 

Also, I think that Vikings look legitimate. Case Keenum and Adam Thielen have been playing well. I think they could win their division. I also am glad that Teddy Bridgewater is back and is getting healthier.  I hope Teddy can stay healthy and ends up having a nice career in the NFL.

Lots of good games.   Teddy Bridgewater crying on the sidelines because he is back was the highlight of the day.   Cowboys losing -- badly -- was the lowlight.

But you know, as much as I love football, all the off field stuff is getting annoying.   Remember at the beginning of the season we said "oh good, now we will have the games to watch and talk about instead of the other stuff."   Well the other stuff is taking over:   Jerry Jones' feud with Goodell and possibly the other owners; the Anthem Protests; Goodell and his discipline problems; Kaepernick and his collusion suit.   Someone needs to take control and make the games front and center again.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

NBC said after this loss to the formerly winless 'Niners, McAdoo will have to make his own travel arrangements home from Santa Clara.

I had thought that the Giants would win this game. But good on the 49ers for not going winless. I definitely think that Ben McAdoo will be gone. I had read a report that the Giants were going to wait until after the season was over to make a decision on his future. But I wonder now with them losing to the 49ers if they will get rid of him very soon.

Edited by Jx223
53 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

NBC said after this loss to the formerly winless 'Niners, McAdoo will have to make his own travel arrangements home from Santa Clara.

PLEASE.

Other than a period of time when my sister wrestled the remote away from me to watch the end of the NASCAR race, I watched the entire game.  The defensive effort was TRASH.  McAdoo’s body language was TRASH.  I mean, was Roger Craig out there?  Cuz it sure seemed like it.

And while Eli drives me bonkers more than half the time, blaming him for this shit and saying the Giants need to move on from him/trade him to Jacksonville is a garbage take.  He’s not playing defense out there.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, merylinkid said:

YOu say that now.   Wait until Goodell decides he needs a PR boost and smacks your team with an unreasonable discipline.    Brady "more likely than not he was generally aware"  and Elliott "let's keep the chief investigator from giving her opinion so we have do MORE than the minimum suspension with no good reason."   The Elliott case was so messed up, I can't say whether he should have even been suspended 4 games or not.   Remember the Giants Kicker got ONE game, ONE GAME, with documented long term history of abuse.  

Kraft was fine with Goodell and his "punishment" after Spygate. 

Deflategate was not Goodell's decision.  It was the other owners pushing him to come down hard on the pats precisely because of past behavior and what they perceived, right or wrong, as rampant abuse of the rules with no punishment.  But then suddenly Kraft is all about Goodell being unfair. 

I don't like Jerry Jones but I actually think he has a point about EE and I think 6 games is wau too much based on what they have, or really don't have

Goodell is also an arrogant ass though.  Picking a side in all this is impossible, you can't trust any of them.  They all lie. 

The solution is very simple though and I personally tire of hearing it all and the complaining from at least owners and players.  This all started with spygate and there has been, what, two new CBA agreements since then?  Take this power away from Goodell, put it in the hands of a panel made up of "anyone else except Goodell" and stop bitching about it, from all sides.  Just tell them, no new CBA unless that happens.  The league can't keep dragging these things out in court and, as mentioned, distract from the actual games.   

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Other than a period of time when my sister wrestled the remote away from me to watch the end of the NASCAR race, I watched the entire game.

One benefit of living in Charlotte these days - I could watch the NASCAR race uninterrupted since we rarely get Giant games down here.

C'mon Cris and Al, say it like it is.  Bennett gave up on the Packers the second Rodgers got hurt.  What a lousy teammate.  Even before Rodgers' injury, the Packers, and certainly their fans, were not happy with Bennett.  Dropping passes seemed to be all he could do, even when Rodgers was healthy.  And he took shots at the Packers team doctor on his way out the door, and several Packers (past & present) went public with their disagreement with what Bennett said about Dr. McKenzie, including Jordy Nelson and Aaron Rodgers.  Signing Bennett was a HUGE mistake by Ted Thompson.  Should have come to terms with Jared Cook.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Take this power away from Goodell, put it in the hands of a panel made up of "anyone else except Goodell" and stop bitching about it, from all sides.  Just tell them, no new CBA unless that happens.  The league can't keep dragging these things out in court and, as mentioned, distract from the actual games.   

Seriously. At this point, even the owners should realize this needs to happen. If they want the league out of the news, take discipline away from Goodell and they will suddenly find like 50% of the negative headlines also magically melting away.

I agree that Goodell is not good at his job and is way overpaid. At the same time, Jones' hypocrisy re: discipline and stance on the anthem protests is so galling to me that the idea of HIM causing Goodell problems is nauseating.

I think the best outcome is the contract does indeed take Goodell down several pegs, but the Cowboys lose out this season (Dak does well in all the losses though, I like Dak).

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Take this power away from Goodell, put it in the hands of a panel made up of "anyone else except Goodell" and stop bitching about it, from all sides. 

Honestly, maybe the NFL should be the first NFL pro league to sign on with the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

I had to laugh with NBC running a promo for next Sunday's game that compared Wentz and Prescott to the likes of Dandy Don, Roger Staubach and Leon Jaworski.  Just... no.

You know someone's game isn't going well when the special teams coach appears on TV.

• Love 1

If it were any owner BUT Jerry Jones saying Roger is overpaid, it would have gained traction.   But Jones is so annoying the other owners are disagreeing just on principle.

I don't think it's wrong to compare Wentz and Prescott to some of the greats.   They are doing extremely well and are only in their 2nd year.   If they keep it up through their careers, I do not think the Hall is out of the realm of possibility.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Honestly, maybe the NFL should be the first NFL pro league to sign on with the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

I had to laugh with NBC running a promo for next Sunday's game that compared Wentz and Prescott to the likes of Dandy Don, Roger Staubach and Leon Jaworski.  Just... no.

You know someone's game isn't going well when the special teams coach appears on TV.

I like Wentz a lot but he's going to have to do something very special in order to overtake a Watergate Special Prosecutor.

• Love 10

Don Meredith and RON Jaworksi, not Leon, had long and productive, but really fairly good to mediocre, careers overall.  4 pro bowls between them in about 25 total seasons. 

They both had some very good, top quality years at their peak.  ANd I like them both as commentators and as players.

But they weren't so out of this world that a comparison to Wentz and Prescott if preposterous

Staubach is another story. 

• Love 1

I hope that the game between the Cowboys and Eagles ends up being good next Sunday. (Though I am concerned for the Cowboys).

I think it's going to be interesting to see how things shake out in the NFC come playoff time. I think that ESPN's latest article about teams' chances was interesting.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx171113/sorting-wild-nfc-playoff-field-week-10-2017-nfl-season-nine-contenders-six-spots

I believe that in a few weeks most of the NFC playoff spots will just about be locked up. Right now I think that the Eagles, Rams, Saints,and Vikings will probably win their divisions (barring any major setbacks). I could see CAR/SEA having a good chance of getting the two wildcards with  ATL/DAL/DET trying to steal one of the wildcard spots. Washington might have an outside chance of getting in, but they are dealing with several injuries.  ATL/DAL/DET who all made the playoffs last year, could miss them this year. And I think that at least two of these teams (maybe all three) will miss the playoffs this year.

For the AFC, I think that the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs will make the playoffs. And I think that both the Jags and Titans will probably make them as well. I could see the Bills getting a wildcard and getting the last playoff spot.

Edited by Jx223

I wish. With the way the Bills are playing, another non-playoff year. It may be time to cut the cord and start rooting for the the Rams since they are back in town. Most of the WRs are former Bills players, and seem to be doing great when they have a good QB throwing to him.

My heart is literally hurting right now. Marquise Goodwin of the Niners played on Sunday after him and his wife lost their baby (stillborn at 19 weeks from complications). His TD and falling to the ground had me in tears. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rob_Lowder/status/929903059269853184

• Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I wish. With the way the Bills are playing, another non-playoff year. It may be time to cut the cord and start rooting for the the Rams since they are back in town. Most of the WRs are former Bills players, and seem to be doing great when they have a good QB throwing to him.

I think that the Bills have a decent shot because there really isn't that many good teams in the AFC. The Broncos looks bad, and I don't think that the Texans are going to make it with Tom Savage. The Colts, Chargers, and Bengals have been playing poorly as well. I don't think that Miami or the Jets make it either (though Jets have been playing better than expected.)

The only two teams that I think might could challenge the Bills for the last wildcard spot are Oakland (if they can string together enough wins) and the Ravens who IMO have 5 winnable games left. Though Oakland has been underachieving and might not make it, and the Ravens have been struggling.  IMO, the Bills have 4 winnable games left and if they win that would put them at 9 wins, which I believe will be enough for them to make the playoffs.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Finally something exciting!

FOX has asked Greg Olsen, active but hurt player, to broadcast a game on one of their crews this weekend during Carolina’s bye week.  Minnesota is one of the participants and they will play the Panthers later this year.

Minnesota is protesting this because they don’t want an active player getting proprietary information.  

I gotta say I agree with the Vikings.  Apparently the broadcasters sit in on meetings and learn plays and all that.  I mean, Minnesota could just not run those plays when they play Carolina, but why should they have to change their playbook because of a broadcasting stunt by FOX?

• Love 4

I'm with Minnesota on this one.  

Broken hearted about Marquise Goodwin.   I am amazed that he could even move let alone play in a game just hours after such a tragedy.   Condolences to the entire family.

But what the hell Dolphins.   How did the RAVENS lose so badly to this team????

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

"Leon" Jaworski.  Can you tell I'm old?  And in an AFC market?  :D

I prefer to think that Leon being the premier Jaworski in your pantheon means you are a person of discriminating taste!

• Love 2

Is the 'Madden view' a changeup or the future of football broadcasting?

NBC hasn't committed beyond Thursday night's game, and Gaudelli made clear that SkyCam's limited range will require some juggling with conventional sideline views. Perched about 15 feet above the field, and a few feet behind the quarterback, SkyCam will provide the primary angle for most plays. NBC will add graphics to display the down and distance, to help viewers absorb the change in depth perception, and explicitly note yardage gains and losses. It will also return to the traditional perspective for all third downs and most plays inside the 15-yard line.

I wish they'd show the standard view on the NFL Network the way ESPN does for championship games.

I'd love to be able to toggle back and forth between the two views. The Madden View really shows line play well, and the action of the running backs on running plays.  You don't get a good sense of distance gained though. 

On 11/14/2017 at 7:57 AM, mojoween said:

Finally something exciting!

FOX has asked Greg Olsen, active but hurt player, to broadcast a game on one of their crews this weekend during Carolina’s bye week.  Minnesota is one of the participants and they will play the Panthers later this year.

Minnesota is protesting this because they don’t want an active player getting proprietary information.  

I gotta say I agree with the Vikings.  Apparently the broadcasters sit in on meetings and learn plays and all that.  I mean, Minnesota could just not run those plays when they play Carolina, but why should they have to change their playbook because of a broadcasting stunt by FOX?

Can't Fox send Olsen to a game where the Panthers won't play one of the teams this year?

• Love 1

I cried when Golic Jr. got choked up and signed off his show this morning and I cried when Greeny and Golic signed off their show for the very last time.  I don’t care if it ended up not being cool, I loved that damn show.

I know it wasn’t a NFL-specific show, but it was pretty damn close.  Golic and Wingo and Golic just won’t be the same.

• Love 1

I feel Golic is being demoted. Greeny gets a show on ESPN while Golic's show will be on ESPNU which most people don't have. Golic posted a picture on Twitter of his family taken when Mike & Mike began and one when it ended. I won't miss Greeny complaining about the Patriots success.

I believe Golic’s show will be on ESPN2.  And Greeny’s show doesn’t start until April, and it’s at the same time as Golic’s which was an interesting choice.

As a Pats hater, I’ll always be behind someone bitching about those dirty cheaters.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Article on the current state of the NFL and the Goodell situation is very interesting :

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21441056/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-bitter-battle-saw-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

basically it seems to come down to this, in my mind  :  Jones and Kraft and the more powerful, larger market owners were all behind Goodell getting hired and pushed hard for it.  He was not popular among the smaller team owners.

Now that Jones and Kraft have been screwed over with a few player suspensions that did not go their way and Goodell is not acting as their puppet all the time, they are pissed off and now want him out.  But ironically now the other owners that likely were against him in the first place don't want that, they prefer him staying. 

Its really hard to pick a side because anyone in this whole thing is hard to root for and all of it is pretty sleazy. 

What I do know is I have been a die hard NFL fan my whole life, its my favorite sport, by far, but the front office and the owners right now are making so I just have to hold my nose and ignore it all to continue enjoying the games. 

Even my favorite team, the Colts, I honestly wish Irsay would step aside and let someone else be in charge, turn control over to his daughters, who actually seem very bright and level headed, especially in comparison to his coked out drug addled mind.  And many Colts fans feel the same way about him. 

• Love 1

I think this is kind of fascinating.  More fascinating than most of the football since my QB went out for the year and we've been subjected to subpar football thanks to the Thursday Night Football injury games. 

For instance, there's spec about whether or not the other owners are interested in removing him which I didn't know was possible until recently. As the article said, it's unlikely.

But I can dream about a Jerry Jones-less league, can't I?

• Love 3

What a bunch of stinkeroo games today, starting with my Packers playing like the LIttle SIsters of the Poor.  (Tribute to my dad, who died several years ago this week - that was his go to insult for the Packers and Badgers when they played poorly.)  There were a few close games, but way too many blowouts.  

I've decided that the Packers' season ended the day Aaron Rodgers' collarbone was broken, so I'm trying to view the rest of the season as a 2nd preseason, where results don't matter.  I'm not having much luck with this, however.  

• Love 1

Nice job throwing Tyrod Taylor under the bus this late in the season. What are they going to do now that Peterman stunk it up? Tyrod has been so classy these past few seasons with getting benched, but I hope that he's pissed and starts playing well. Doesn't excuse the Buffalo D from sucking ass the past three games. I knew their 5-2 start was too good to be true, and even happier I didn't blow money to watch this game in person.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Another very rough loss for Dallas. After the game started it looked like they could win, but Dak really struggled tonight. The defense played well in the 1st half, but I think they got tired. On a positive note, Bryon Bell played much better than Chaz Green did. I do think that Dallas can beat the Chargers and some other teams but their playoff chances have gotten much slimmer. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it. 

Also, I thought that the best game of the day was the Saints/Redskins game. That was a great comeback by the Saints. I was really impressed with the way they played today and they have been doing a really good job this season. They are on a great run right now. Minnesota is also playing really well and did a nice job against the Rams today.

And I thought the most surprising win was the Giants beating the Chiefs. That was definitely a bad loss for the Chiefs. They should not have lost that game. And the Bills had a really ugly game today as well. It was a mistake to bench Tyrod Taylor. Maybe the Bills will move forward with him for the rest of the season and try and make the playoffs with him. 

12 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

And I thought the most surprising win was the Giants beating the Chiefs.

I was just hoping the Giants wouldn't embarrass themselves like they have the past couple of weeks.  I'll take an ugly win any day!

• Love 2

I hate the Eagles as a division rival, but I hate the Cowboys on every level, so - with the Giants out of contention (boy howdy!) - I was not necessarily rooting for the Eagles, but, holy hell, did I enjoy seeing the shots of Jerry Jones looking like he was sucking on the pieces of shit he should be eating on a daily basis.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

holy hell, did I enjoy seeing the shots of Jerry Jones looking like he was sucking on the pieces of shit he should be eating on a daily basis.

I always love those reaction shots they show of Skeletor when the Cowboys are taking a beating!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Calvada said:

I've decided that the Packers' season ended the day Aaron Rodgers' collarbone was broken, so I'm trying to view the rest of the season as a 2nd preseason, where results don't matter.  I'm not having much luck with this, however.  

I'm doing a pretty good job.  If it weren't for my family, I wouldn't even know if they win or lose.  But today I got  kind of excited when I started thinking of the possibility of them losing out the rest of the way.  Or almost losing out the rest of the way.  They could end up with the highest draft pick they've had in a while.  They're currently at 18 so they need to stink it up a bit more and hope some of the more disappointing teams do a little bit better but that could be quite exciting.