Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

It seemed like in the second half they went back more to the traditional view but then again I was half paying attention so maybe I missed the Madden views.

What DrSpaceman said is why I hate it too...I want to see downfield.  That overhead view even makes it harder to see the pretend first down yellow line so I have no idea what the offense is aiming for.

4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The color rush uniforms are hideous.   Especially all the way down to the cleats, it looks like they are running around in footie pjs.

The look on Pagano's face at the end was like "How did it get this bad???"

It got this bad because he sucks as a coach. 

Seventh game this year they have blown a second half lead and lost. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It got this bad because he sucks as a coach. 

Seventh game this year they have blown a second half lead and lost. 

That's why he looks so stunned.   He doesn't realize they are so bad because he should not be an HC.

Jerry Richardson the owner of the Carolina Panthers is being investigated by the organization for workplace misconduct. I wonder what exactly the allegations are against him.

I am glad that the organization has taken the initiative to conduct an investigation. An ESPN insider said that the NFL may end up letting the Panthers conduct their investigation before the league gets involved.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21779125/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-investigation-workplace-misconduct

Edited by Jx223

Oh I can imagine exactly what the misconduct was.   Jerry Richardson is a bully.

However, the League should be doing the investigation.   Can an organization really properly investigate the owner who hires and fires everyone involved in the organization?   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Oh I can imagine exactly what the misconduct was.   Jerry Richardson is a bully.

However, the League should be doing the investigation.   Can an organization really properly investigate the owner who hires and fires everyone involved in the organization?   

I think it's hard to know because you bring up good points.  That said, it's being led by one of the limited partners. According to Wikipedia, Jerry owns about 48% of the team while 14 other limited partners own 52%. And they've hired an external law firm to do it.  I imagine if all the limited partners decide to go against him, they have enough power to boot him.  But trying to get 14 people to agree on something like that might be difficult depending on what is discovered in the investigation. 

Because I hate change, I'm sad about Marvin Lewis.  He got some bad breaks that makes his legacy look a lot worse than it was.  I mean, in one move, Pittsburgh changed the entire outcome of the playoffs when Palmer got hurt.  If that one thing did not happen, Cincinnati’s playoff future looks very different.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if he left before they fired him. I know it's  not all his fault, but the Bengals are due for a playoff win and under Lewis that didn't happen. This is another season with a lot of unfortunate injuries, so maybe under a different coach they will do good things in the future.

The Rams recent stretch has been brutal. After playing the Vikings, Saints, Cards and Eagles, now it's the Seahawks this week and the Titans next week. 

• Love 1

Deshone Kizer had -12 yards passing in the first quarter (that’s NEGATIVE 12, ghost rider) and since obvs I'm watching the Giants, could someone please explain how that is even possible?

I can’t help but wonder how many employees went home and cried in frustration when that Richardson statue was unveiled.

• Love 2

I'm not a Steelers fan but I hope AB is okay. That game is making me ill- I can't root for either team. 

The commentators for the Rams/Seahawks game are very good. They aren't annoying and explaining the offensive-defensive schemes well. I am also thoroughly entertained by the Rams kicking the crap out of the Seahawks, especially in front of their obnoxious fans. 

Not at all surprised about the Richardson allegations.   Just surprised they aren't worse.    During the lockout he was the biggest dick about settling.   He basically told the players take the deal or we will crush you.    McNair might have made the inmates running the prison remark but Richardson sees himself as a plantation owner.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Deshone Kizer had -12 yards passing in the first quarter (that’s NEGATIVE 12, ghost rider) and since obvs I'm watching the Giants, could someone please explain how that is even possible?

I looked at the play-by-play  recap on NFL.com.  On their second possession (he threw one incomplete pass on their first possession) he had consecutive pass plays out of the shotgun where the receiver was tackled behind the line of scrimmage, for -5 and -6 yards.  Later in the quarter, he had another pass where the receiver was tackled one yard short of the line of scrimmage, for a total of -12 yards.  He didn't complete any passes for positive yardage in the first quarter.

Of course, it wasn't a catch.   The Pats might have lost otherwise.   C'mon folks, we know how this goes.

But totally enjoying the Seahawks getting their asses handed to them.   I see they are losing with poor grace as usual.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4

WOW.....what a game between the Pats and Steelers.  Hard fought.  I know the Steelers are disappointed and disgusted with themselves for letting this one get away...bit I think it will bode well for them should they meet the Pats again in the playoffs.

Oh yeah....Gronk is a freaking beast.  But for him to scoop that low throw up (at his size) for a big 1st down was incredible to watch. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Of course, it wasn't a catch.   The Pats might have lost otherwise.   C'mon folks, we know how this goes.

But totally enjoying the Seahawks getting their asses handed to them.   I see they are losing with poor grace as usual.

Seriously. Selling your soul to the devil gives you breaks like that. 

• Love 4

Horrible, horrible call.

Brady's entire career is like this.  Break after break from the refs on overturned calls. 

Reasons 3585 to hate the Pats

TWO GAMES this year they basically were given wins on overturned TD calls.  Same thing vs the Jets. 

The Steelers WR caught the ball, had control, football move and crossed the goal line.  The play is over.  TD

14 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

WOW.....what a game between the Pats and Steelers.  Hard fought.  I know the Steelers are disappointed and disgusted with themselves for letting this one get away...bit I think it will bode well for them should they meet the Pats again in the playoffs.

Oh yeah....Gronk is a freaking beast.  But for him to scoop that low throw up (at his size) for a big 1st down was incredible to watch. 

The Steelers are disgusted for being completely screwed out of a TD. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Not at all surprised about the Richardson allegations.   Just surprised they aren't worse.    During the lockout he was the biggest dick about settling.   He basically told the players take the deal or we will crush you.    McNair might have made the inmates running the prison remark but Richardson sees himself as a plantation owner.

Even people in Charlotte don't like Richardson

If there is some way to force him to sell the franchise, like the NBA did with the Clippers, fans here would be all for it

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

They've got to change the rule on TD catches. Make it like rushing. If you catch it outside of the endzone and break the plane. . . TD.

At the very least it should have been 2nd and goal at the one and now I want to bang my head against the wall for the rest of the night.

• Love 2

Doesn't excuse that terrible throw on third down. He could have thrown it away if the coverage wasn't there and tied it with a field goal. I did think that they would call the catch as an incompletion because he didn't have control all the way through, but the rule is absolute bullshit. The Jets got screwed with the same rule against the Pats, and then there was the playoff Dez "non-catch." The rule needs to change.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

f there is some way to force him to sell the franchise, like the NBA did with the Clippers, fans here would be all for it

As @Popples noted above, he doesn't have to be forced, he's doing it voluntarily.   Only way a guy like Richardson goes down without a fight -- there is a more A LOT MORE.   He wants to end this before he looks even worse.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I thought it was a catch but not a TD because it looked to me that his knee was down before the ball broke the plane of the goal line.

His knee did hit before he broke the plane but he was not touched yet by a defender, so he was not considered down at that point. 

• Love 3

Yeah the touchdown-ness was irrelevant to that call. The ball moved when it hit the ground, so no catch, whether its crossing the goal line or at the 50. The NFL is consistent in this call, much to everyone's chagrin. See also Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Magog said:

Wow, what an ending. I'm sure that the Patriots - Steelers will meet again next month. Hopefully, it'll be just as good as this one. 

I'd put $20 on the Steelers getting upset before the AFCC if I were a betting man. I'd also not be surprised if the Pats don't make it either. I can't say they've been playing well of late. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

.....Brady's entire career is like this.  Break after break from the refs on overturned calls. 

Reasons 3585 to hate the Pats....

The Steelers are disgusted for being completely screwed out of a TD. 

Well...every team has benefited from bad calls from the refs.  I dont think the Pats have a monopoly on that.  (Not to mention, in this case it wasnt even a bad call.  The refs made the right call based on a bad rule.) What IS a problem, IMO, is that teams who play the Pats compound a bad call by committing unforced errors afterwards. So the TD was taken away...it was still 3rd down though.  The Steelers could have kicked a field goal to tie and live to fight on in OT.  At the very least Big Ben could have chosen not to throw the ball in the middle of a crowd. Orrr the Steeler defender could have just caught the interception Brady laid out for him and the rest wouldnt have even mattered.   

• Love 6
1 minute ago, FuriousStyles said:

Well...every team has benefited from bad calls from the refs.  I dont think the Pats have a monopoly on that.  (Not to mention, in this case it wasnt even a bad call.  The refs made the right call based on a bad rule.) What IS a problem, IMO, is that teams who play the Pats compound a bad call by committing unforced errors afterwards. So the TD was taken away...it was still 3rd down though.  The Steelers could have kicked a field goal to tie and live to fight on in OT.  At the very least Big Ben could have chosen not to throw the ball in the middle of a crowd. Orrr the Steeler defender could have just caught the interception Brady laid out for him and the rest wouldnt have even mattered.   

It was not an incomplete pass according to the rules.

The WR was no longer "going to the ground" as defined by rules.  He had the ball, two feet or a knee down, and made a move upfield ( toward the goal line), AND a move to avoid a defending player.  Once he does either one of those, let alone both, he is no longer "going to the ground" and the rest of the maintaining control does not apply. 

That should be the correct interpretation of how the rule is written and why any sane football fan who knows this is a catch can argue its a catch within the rules.  He was beyond going to the ground when he lost the ball.  This was not him falling as he was catching it.  He was voluntarily and purposely diving for the end zone to get a TD, after catching the ball, not involuntarily falling as he was making the catch. 

The rest would not have mattered if the correct call was made on the play.  Same for "it happens to all teams".  Two games this year specifically of overturned calls for the patriots on controversial TDs right now mean the difference between a 3rd seed in the playoffs and the first seed, which is huge.  That type of argument of "there was still time" and "it happens to all teams" is just a sorry excuse for the NFL, depending and how you look at it, either having a stupid rule on what is/is not a catch or having bad refs that don't know how to interpret the rule. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It was not an incomplete pass according to the rules.

The WR was no longer "going to the ground" as defined by rules.  He had the ball, two feet or a knee down, and made a move upfield ( toward the goal line), AND a move to avoid a defending player. 

From the rulebook:

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

Also from the rulebook:

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

From what I saw, it was a simultaneous catch and turn upfield toward the goal line.  The WR was in midair when he caught the ball, fell to the ground (whether on purpose or not doesnt seem to be relevant) and then lost control of the ball in the endzone. The refs have actually been very consistent on this (one of the few things they have been consistent on) and I haven't heard any (former) player or coach, or talking head disagree with the call itself tonight.

Whether its the rule itself or as you seem to be arguing...how its being interpreted, the fact of the matter is this is how its being called and every player and coach already know this.  So its really about the player making sure they secure the ball all the way thru the entire process.

• Love 2