Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Dear Lord it just continues for the Chiefs. 

Multiple coaches, multiple teams since 1993 and they just blow game after game in the playoffs.  And they do it in so many different ways. 

1-9 over their last 10 playoff games I counted.

Without looking, I have to guess the one win is against the Bengals.

[Googles]

Nope, Texans. Somehow the Chiefs and Bengals have never met in the playoffs.

• Love 1

True but never bet on a second year QB who hasn't seen a playoff game. He looks like he's been wanting to hurl this whole game. 

And there is the game. I guess home field advantage didn't exist today.

Didn't the people in KC responsible for hiring Andy Reid ever look at his tenure in Philadelphia?  This loss does not surprise me.  

I was hoping for a Rams win since I really can't stand the Falcons.  I have this tremendous dislike (admittedly somewhat irrational) of Mat Ryan. 

Have the Rams greased the sidelines?  People are slipping all over the field, but especially when they run out of bounds.  It's like they are stepping on a sheet of ice.  

Fuck my life.  I'm ever-so-glad 2018 thus far sucks every bit as hard as 2017 when it comes to the diversions that give me a much-needed distraction from reality.  My characters get killed, my shows end, my teams flame out.  Thanks, universe. 

So, yeah, go anyone other than the Patriots!

• Love 8

I was very impressed with the way that Marcus Mariota played tonight against the Chiefs. He wasn't rattled and really stepped up and made plays to help his team win. I think that he's been uneven this year, but he did a great job tonight.  The Chiefs caught some rough breaks but they did let a large lead slip away. They should have used Kareem Hunt more in the second half and that could have helped them.

Also, I had thought that the Rams were going to win against ATL, because ATL has also been uneven this year. The team including Matt Ryan have been shaky looking at times this season, but they did enough tonight to win the game. Though I feel like this game was lost more by the Rams, than it was won by the Falcons. The Rams looked a like young, nervous and inexperienced team. Most of them hadn't been to the playoffs prior to this game and they played like it (Especially in the first half). Robert Woods was excellent though and tried his best to help get them back in the game by making big catches. But even though they lost, the Rams have had an impressive season this year, especially with a young team and a young rookie Head Coach. They will learn from this experience.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

If I feel this lousy with the Rams losing, I can't imagine the crappy feeling if the Bills lose tomorrow. It's been 17 years since the last playoff game- I forgot what it feels like to feel so uneasy throughout an entire game. Hoping for the best or I'm going to have to root for the Vikings to win it all.

Edited by twoods
1 hour ago, twoods said:

True but never bet on a second year QB who hasn't seen a playoff game. He looks like he's been wanting to hurl this whole game. 

And there is the game. I guess home field advantage didn't exist today.

The Rams were 3-4 this year at the Coliseum (3-5, counting the playoff loss).

And 8-1 away from the coliseum.

I think this team is better on the road, even in the cold of Philadelphia. (I have no idea how "California kid" Goff will do in bad weather, but the Rams worked him out in the pouring rain before he was drafted.)

Or maybe they are distracted by all the celebrities, like "diehard"* Rams fans Rob Lowe and Snoop Dogg.

(*In case you missed the joke, Lowe and Snoop are diehard fans of many NFL teams. Lowe is big on the Cowboys and Colts, too.)

Mv88F6O.png

Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston were lumped into the bust category earlier this year.  I know it was one playoff game, but Marcus looked pretty good yesterday.  He tends to hold on to the ball too long, probably because he think he might be able to escape, but a lot of QB’s do that.  Russell Wilson is not a bust, and he holds on to the ball far, FAR longer than he should.  

I know Mariota and Wilson aren’t the same, but I bristled at the bust talk because there is a lot going on in both Tennessee or TB that aren’t either of their faults.

Winston does appear to be insane, however.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

I have been having trouble with my cable service since Friday.   Verizon kept saying it was something I did.   SOOOO half an hour into the Chiefs-Titans game it goes down with an outage in the area.    Yep, wasn't my fault.    I missed one of the greatest plays in playoff history.   

Thankfully I got to see the Rams-Falcons game because it was streamed online.    My wifi hotspot was up to it.

The Rams will be back.   Young coach, young QB, young TEAM.    Their inexperience showed.   But they will be back.   This season was not a fluke.   They just need to build on it.

BTW, cable still out.   ANyone know how I can stream today's games, please pm me.   Thank you.

• Love 1

My mom was asking me why Sean McDermott was in shirtsleeves but Jacksonville’s coach was in long sleeves and I said well, it’s about 50 degrees there today and to Floridians that is a deep freeze.  But to New Yorkers, that is positively balmy.  It makes me laugh because aren’t most people in Florida transplanted northerners?  Do you lose your cold tolerance that quickly?

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Do you lose your cold tolerance that quickly?

Yep. My wife is from Maine, and she can't stand it when it gets under 50 degrees in NC.

On an unrelated note, how excited do you think Kirk Cousins' agent is to be watching this game?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm sure glad I don't have to watch many Jaguars games, because I would start running into the streets screaming if I repeatedly had to hear announcers saying "Jagwires".

That makes want to rip off my ears! I wish I knew how to get the audio from the British broadcast, because I like the pronunciation "Jag-YOU-ar".

• Love 5

I'm really enjoying Romo's commentary. He's explaining things and will predict the next play, whether it's the offense or defense coverage. 

The Bills are killing me. That Jags D is crazy good and can't get anything done against it. At least it's not a blowout...yet.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm sure glad I don't have to watch many Jaguars games, because I would start running into the streets screaming if I repeatedly had to hear announcers saying "Jagwires".

That's driving me nuts. 

• Love 1

Ha! I needed a laugh. I hope the jags d kicks the crap out of the Steelers next week. At least the Bills didn't win themselves a one way ticket to Foxboro for some ass kicking- the Titans have that pleasure.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, twoods said:

Ha! I needed a laugh. I hope the jags d kicks the crap out of the Steelers next week. At least the Bills didn't win themselves a one way ticket to Foxboro for some ass kicking- the Titans have that pleasure.

I think that this is a team that neither the Steelers or Patriots really wanted to face in the playoffs. Blake didn't play that well but their defense was great. I am interested in seeing what happens in next week's game against the Steelers. (Especially since the Jags have already beat the Steelers this year and beat them very handily. With Big Ben throwing 5 interceptions against them.) If they get past the Steelers, it would be interesting to see how they would fare against the Patriots.

Also, I hope that Tyrod Taylor ends up being okay. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I think that this is a team that neither the Steelers or Patriots really wanted to face in the playoffs.

I agree; the Jags defense can pretty well shut down a team's passing game.

I was rooting for New Orleans because Cam Newton bugs me.  Then Cam gets injured and the crowd cheers and chants while he is kneeling on the field with a possible concussion.  That is when I remember I hate the Saints.  Ugh.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I was rooting for New Orleans because Cam Newton bugs me.  Then Cam gets injured and the crowd cheers and chants while he is kneeling on the field with a possible concussion.  That is when I remember I hate the Saints.  Ugh.

Yeah, I thought Saints fans were more decent than that. The Panthers still have a chance. We’ll see...

oh, so THAT was a catch? The defender was bobbling the ball the entire time.  It should have been incomplete 

Edited by topanga
16 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I picked the Saints but have been rooting for Carolina all game. The Saints fans pissed me off after Cam got hurt.

• Love 1

That was a tough loss for Carolina. If Graham Gano hadn't missed that chip shot earlier they probably would have won that game. I'm disappointed that they lost. But good on the Saints for winning and I think that their matchup against the Vikings should be good next week. 

Edited by Jx223

I fell asleep during the Bills/Jaguars game.

27 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I picked the Saints but have been rooting for Carolina all game. The Saints fans pissed me off after Cam got hurt.

Yes, I was pissed off at the Saints fans.  Assholes.

• Love 1

Panthers really fought the whole way and thought they might pull it out. 

But too many red zone failures.  That first potential scoring drive for carolina was the killer.  Dropped easy TD pass and then a missed short FG.  That was the difference in the game.

On that grounding penalty that was the killer on the last drive, that was all on Cam.  He had the whole right side of the field he just had to slide to or roll out to before the defender go to him, just didn't do it.  All he had to do was move to the right one step. 

I think it will be an Atlanta-New Orleans NFC title game.  I can't pick a QB with little playoff experience vs a vetaran

ANd Atlanta New Orleans if it happens should be a great match up. 

I had the volume low on the game and had no idea that the Saints fans were cheering when Cam got injured. Complete opposite reaction when Tyrod got injured and the fans were quiet and then cheered when he got up. What a bunch of classless jerks, and I hope the organization calls them out. 

Carolina shot themselves in the foot with all the FGs instead of TDs. That won't beat the Saints. Should be a great game next week in Minnesota.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

I've always disliked the Saints and their fans so them booing doesn't surprise me, however I missed it because as soon as Cam went down wild chatter happened in my house and I stopped paying attention to the TV. I have a hard time believing he passed Concussion Protocol that quickly. That was a big hit he took! 

We got hopeful that the Panthers would pull out the win but they needed to be playing like that the whole game! Not just the last half. Missed chip shot or not a good football team shouldn't have to rely on their kicker to win games. Touchdowns win games and they couldn't do it. Panthers always choke in the red zone. 

• Love 2

Cam was so woozy that he couldn’t make it to the sideline before dropping to his knees, but he was back in pretty quickly.  They said something about the neurologist being in the tent with the Panthers staff.  I assumed the touted independence of the neurologist was probably compromised.

• Love 2

Cam said he was poked in the eye but he definitely looked concussed. He was kicked in the head while he was down after that play. If that sort of hit happened on golden boy, a flag would have come out immediately. 

• Love 5

This is twice now that Cam has been hit at the end of a game and they claimed he cleared concussion protocol.   It was a close game and they still could have won, so no way was Cam staying out.    The concussion protocol is a joke.   

• Love 5
On 1/6/2018 at 10:17 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Dear Lord it just continues for the Chiefs. 

Multiple coaches, multiple teams since 1993 and they just blow game after game in the playoffs.  And they do it in so many different ways. 

1-9 over their last 10 playoff games I counted. 

I feel bad for their fans, even though multiple games in that team, I believe 4, has been losses to my beloved Colts. 

How do you blow at 18 point lead at home to Tennessee in the playoffs? 

I don't know who is the most pitiful :

Lions with ONE PLAYOFF WIN in the last 70-80 years

Bengals being 0-7 since 1990 in the playoffs

Or the Chiefs, 1-9 since 1993 in the playoffs.  With many of those losses at home as favorites or with big leads. 

Or the Bills with four SB losses in a row.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2018 at 2:18 PM, Kip Hackman said:

Yep. My wife is from Maine, and she can't stand it when it gets under 50 degrees in NC.

Ditto.  I just moved to NC 2.5 yrs ago, and this cold snap is killing me.  But it would still be colder in Cleveland, so I gotta remember that.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I fell asleep during the Bills/Jaguars game.

Yes, I was pissed off at the Saints fans.  Assholes.

Ha! I fell asleep, too, at halftime. Geez, that was terrible, I'm glad I missed the second half.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Or the Bills with four SB losses in a row.

I thought about that, but just making the SB is accomplishing something.  You are a conference champion. 

Losing 4 SBs in a row is painful but I don't think compares to the others, which are sustained incompetence over a decade or decades. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought about that, but just making the SB is accomplishing something.  You are a conference champion. 

Losing 4 SBs in a row is painful but I don't think compares to the others, which are sustained incompetence over a decade or decades. 

Well n that case, I give you two words:  Cleveland Browns.  ?

• Love 5
On 1/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

As someone who has spent the first half of his life rooting for the Jets, and the second half rooting for the Panthers, it's much more frustrating to be competitive, but come up short every year. For me, anyway. I never think about Carolina's 1-15 and 2-14 seasons, but I sure think about those Super Bowl losses.

I'd rather be a Browns fan than a Chiefs fan.

Edited by Kip Hackman

The Giants have four rings, and yet the Ravens will remain my number one hated team for all eternity.

It’s a spirited competition with the Pats and Cowboys but the Ravens come out on top every time.

The funny thing is, if the Saints (I think it was the Saints) had not beaten the Rams in the playoffs that year, the Giants wouldn’t have even been IN the Super Bowl because that Giants team would have been steamrolled by St. Louis.

Damnit.  Now I don’t even remember what my point was but now I’m all riled up.

On a related note, I both love and hate the idea of New York Football Giants Head Coach Nick Saban.

• Love 3
On 1/8/2018 at 9:01 PM, roamyn said:

Well n that case, I give you two words:  Cleveland Browns.  ?

They're trying to become the Packers 2.0 with their hiring of John Dorsey, Alonzo Highsmith and Eliot Wolf to their personnel department.  Those are really good scouts.  It'll be interesting to see how much time the owner gives them. 

I'm especially bummed to lose Wolf in Green Bay.  He was thought to be the potential next GM, partly due to his skills and partly due to the fact his father was the architect of bringing the Packers out of mediocrity in the 90s.

I actually think this might be a turning point for the Browns. They truly bottomed out on their tank and have now hired a more conventional management team to take advantage of the draft picks the stockpiled before they Hinkied Sashi Brown.

The big question is whether the Haslam's can resist tampering with the team.

• Love 1