Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 12/22/2017 at 7:40 AM, mojoween said:

I am currently going through the five stages of grieving because my dad was killed in a motor vehicle accident yesterday by a careless driver, so seeing that Dick Enberg passed away this morning is especially tough, because he was one of the first football voices I knew when I first started watching football 30 years ago with my dad.

I swear Dick was just working recently, wasn’t he?

Mojoween, I am so sorry to hear this.  It's especially tough this time of year.  Your family is in my prayers.

• Love 1

The Packers have apparently majorly screwed up in their handling of Aaron Rodgers.  The rules say if somebody is put on the DL more than once during a season, it has to be for different injuries.  And the Packers put Rodgers back on the DL for the rest of the season for the same injury for which he was originally DLed.  And other teams are saying this means Rodgers is technically a free agent.

I have heard some say he is a free agent and others say he would be beholden to whatever team picked him up from waivers or retire.  I don’t understand how it all works.  If he is just a free agent, wouldn’t he just say no to everyone but the Packers?  Could he redo his contract?

Unfreakingbelievable. The Pats get another favorable call on a touchdown reversal when it was obvious that Benjamin's catch was a touchdown. Now the Bills are fighting for a playoff spot because they couldn't get any points on the board in the second half. I'm at a loss how some suit in an office can reverse  a call like that when there is not any "inconclusive" evidence.

Since I haven't paid attention to football news all week, I had no idea that the Rams kicker is on IR. What a blow to them because playoff games could come down to a field goal or extra point and there is now a rookie out there.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Since I haven't paid attention to football news all week, I had no idea that the Rams kicker is on IR. What a blow to them because playoff games could come down to a field goal or extra point and there is now a rookie out there.

He missed his first extra point, but they won.

3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Unfreakingbelievable. The Pats get another favorable call on a touchdown reversal when it was obvious that Benjamin's catch was a touchdown.

More importantly, it cost me fantasy points (I have Tyrod Taylor). It's the playoffs, dammit.

53 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The Packers have apparently majorly screwed up in their handling of Aaron Rodgers. 

Screwed up means they didn't know what they were doing. They knew what they were doing, they just didn't think they'd get called on it. No way Goodell drops the hammer in any event.

• Love 1

I have been in a very bad mood for the past few days. But seeing the Browns falling flat on their faces again today brightens up my mood little bit. I can taste 0-16 already. Hopefully, the Steelers won't take them lightly or show any mercy towards them. Now, I won't have to take a 3 hour nap in week 17 next week like I did last season. I hope that the 2008 Lions have made room already because they're about to have company in being the kings of NFL Futility. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

My mother who is understandably also grieving is also trying for some normalcy so she watched the Bills and hoped for a win.  So Bob Kraft is paying off the officials or what?

On an unrelated note, I do not care that the Seahawks are the game of the week.  FOX in this market should be showing the Giants.

• Love 1

Probably. The Pats also had two penalties called on them the last two games. That's one each game! Are they kidding me with this shit? I want to continue supporting the NFL but this is ridiculous. Just pencil them in for another Super Bowl. 

• Love 2

So sorry for your loss mojoween. 

Colts again find a way to blow a game in the 4th quarter.  Have the ball inside the 10 and can't score.

If they would stop throwing screens to Gore and instead throw them to Mack, that would help. 

But its week 17 coming up, one more week of Pagano and then  the turnaround can start with possibly a #2 pick in the draft.  Or trading down

• Love 2

If you have to take 10 minutes to review a play and look at it from 87 different angles to decide, there is not indisputable visual evidence to overturn the call.   Unfortunately the suits in NYC are more worried about a getting a call "right" than following the standard.   Which leads to more controversial calls, not less  #dezcaughtit.

• Love 6

Very disappointed in the Cowboys. They had multiple chances to come back and win the game and just blew it.  Dak struggled especially against the Blitz and Scott linehan made a poor decision not let Zeke run the ball when they were at 1st and goal. Dez pouting on the sideline in the first half didn't help either and the turnover off of him swung them momentum of the game. Ugly collapse for them as a team. I hope they do better next year.

With that loss they are out of playoff contention. Detroit is also out and Carolina and the Saints are in. I am glad that Carolina made it and hope they go far. I will be rooting for them. Even though the Cowboys are out I do think that this year's playoffs in the NFC will be better than last year. A lot of NFC teams are playing well and should be entertaining to watch postseason.

Also, I am glad to see that Jimmy Garappolo continues to shine as QB for the 49ers. He looks really good and he is exciting their team and fans.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

If you have to take 10 minutes to review a play and look at it from 87 different angles to decide, there is not indisputable visual evidence to overturn the call.   Unfortunately the suits in NYC are more worried about a getting a call "right" than following the standard.   Which leads to more controversial calls, not less  #dezcaughtit.

Seriously. 

It should be like the observation binoculars at the top of skyscrapers. Put your quarters in, get your ninety seconds and then the lens automatically closes.

• Love 4

Dan Bailey, still broken.

Very disappointed in the Cowboys. They had multiple chances to come back and win the game and just blew it.  Dak struggled especially against the Blitz and Scott linehan made a poor decision not let Zeke run the ball when they were at 1st and goal. Dez pouting on the sideline in the first half didn't help either and the turnover off of him swung them momentum of the game. Ugly collapse for them as a team. I hope they do better next year.

Thank you Dan Bailey, Dak Prescott (who I actually like), Dez Bryant, & Jason Garrett. It will be another season of failure for the Cowboys. I wonder what excuses ESPN & those losers on FS1 are going to make for these clowns. Seeing the Cowboys going down in flames like that is making me feel a little bit better & I hope that it brings a little smile to your face, Mojoween. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 4

Here's some more playoff news/implications:

With the Jags losing to the 49ers the Patriots have now clinched a first round bye.

The NFC playoff are almost set: Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Saints, Panthers are all in. Seattle and Atlanta will be vying for that last spot next week. The Falcons get in if they win and Seattle loses. Seattle get in if they win.

The Steelers get a first round bye if they beat the Texans tomorrow. 

In the AFC, the Patriots, Steelers Chiefs and Jags are in. The final two spots are still up for grabs with the Ravens,Chargers, Bills and Titans being in the mix for those two spots.

Edited by Jx223
7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I know it's way, way, way too early for this take, but I wonder if Belichek will regret not Favre-ing the Golden Boy. I know it would be ridiculously hard, giving the way he's playing, bur Father Time is undefeated. 

I think that Belichick may have wanted to keep Jimmy G, but that Robert Kraft is the one that preferred to keep Tom. I've heard some rumors that is the case. Jimmy looks great and is igniting the 49ers team and fanbase. I saw some video of him last week and how he was interacting with the team and coaches and he was great. He was seeing and predicting plays on the field and trying to get his teammates in position to be successful. I think that the 49ers got a great find in him. 

Edited by Jx223

I read on Twitter that if the Chargers and Ravens get in, it will be partially a direct result of Buffalo gakking away the game against the Chargers when they inexplicably benched Taylor.  How infuriating.

Also because the Chargers and Ravens are two of my four most hated teams in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I know it's way, way, way too early for this take, but I wonder if Belichek will regret not Favre-ing the Golden Boy. I know it would be ridiculously hard, giving the way he's playing, bur Father Time is undefeated. 

As a Pats fan, my only regret is that the market for Jimmy wasn't what we were fooling ourselves into believing. (Two ones PLUS)

It may be that the kings ransom of two ones plus will turn out to be a relative bargain. 

• Love 2

My Boys just couldn't do it.   I think they got too excited about Zeke being back and thought that would be enough.   Why anyone still throws to Dez Bryant I don't know.   He drops A LOT of balls.   Might be time to cut him and move on.

Sad ending to a tough season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I read on Twitter that if the Chargers and Ravens get in, it will be partially a direct result of Buffalo gakking away the game against the Chargers when they inexplicably benched Taylor.  How infuriating.

Also because the Chargers and Ravens are two of my four most hated teams in the NFL.

I think that the Chargers/Ravens have the best shot at getting the WCs. Here's what needs to happen for each team with WC hopes to make the playoffs in AFC.

Ravens: Beat the Bengals or Titans or Bills lose. Titans: Beat Jags and both the Bills/Chargers lose. Bills: Beat Miami and Chargers and Titans lose. Chargers: Beat Raiders, Titans lose and Ravens win.

I think that Ravens will beat the Bengals and get in. I also think that the Titans will lose to the Jags and Bills will beat Miami. But both the Titans and Bills need the Chargers to lose and I don't see the Chargers losing to Oakland. So I think Ravens/Chargers will make it. (Though maybe Oakland will try and play spoiler.)

Edited by Jx223

I wonder if the Jags celebrated winning the division in their locker room after being embarrassed by San Francisco.

When you've already clinched a division title and yet you're still fighting your teammates on the sidelines, somebody needs to learn how to coach.

8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I have heard some say he is a free agent and others say he would be beholden to whatever team picked him up from waivers or retire.  I don’t understand how it all works.  If he is just a free agent, wouldn’t he just say no to everyone but the Packers?  Could he redo his contract?

Apparently,  after the trade deadline, all players who are cut are subject to waivers.

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Screwed up means they didn't know what they were doing. They knew what they were doing, they just didn't think they'd get called on it. No way Goodell drops the hammer in any event.

Teams can't just place players on the IR list.  The NFL has to sign off on it. So no, Goodell isn't likely to drop the hammer on something the league already approved. (And frankly, at this time of the year, a lot of teams do.)

Merry Christmas to me!  The Seahawks winning makes me happy, the Cowboys losing makes me happy - combine two in one, and knock Dallas out of playoff contention, and I suddenly have a bit of holiday spirit in me after all.

• Love 4

Seahawks fan here, too.  I'm happy that they won, but at the same time I know that their lack of a running game/decent kicker/healthy secondary is going to keep them from going too awfully far if they even make it to the playoffs.  I almost wish that they had lost and would be out of it and I could begin the five stages and then pick who to hate and be happy that they lost, too.  NE and Pittsburgh will eventually be tops on that list. 

2 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Falcons own the tiebreaker over Seattle. If Atlanta wins, they're in.

Yeah, that's right, Falcons did beat them this year and own the tiebreaker over them. Though, I could see Seattle making it in, because I could see them beating the Cardinals and the Falcons losing to Carolina. I do feel regardless of which team makes it that neither one of them will probably make it past the first round. I think that the Falcons have been a bit uneven this season (and Matt Ryan has looked shaky at times) and that Seattle is dealing with too many issues (including being hobbled with injuries) to do much in the playoffs.

Edited by Jx223

Tom Brady now has final approval of any reviewed calls in the league.  If there is a question, they just ask him. 

There is no way the NFL will make the Packers release Rodgers.  We already went through something similar, though not exactly the same, earlier in the year with Martellus Bennett and his "Oh, I am hurt and need season ending surgery!", he gets released, picked up by the Pats and then plays later in the week, then gets put on IR. 

They likely will need to look at the IR rules again though.  They loosened the IR rules a few years back to make it easier for a player to return and play again later in the season after being on IR.  I have a feeling they make tighten it again after these two incidents. 

• Love 2

It’s funny, how fandom works.

I mean, obvs I ride or die with Big Blue but if they don’t make the playoffs, I need to have another team to be interested in.

And of all of the permutations in the NFC, I don’t hate any of them and could actually get behind any of the seven possibles remaining, even the Rams which surprises me because Fuck Flipper Anderson and I HAAAAAAAATED the Kurt Warner-led Rams.  (I mean, I rooted for the Patriots in the Super Bowl against St. Louis.)

But in the AFC?  Who could I possibly get behind?  The only possible is Sacksonville, unless Buffalo somehow has things all fall the right way.  Oh and I’m not sure if the Chiefs are in or can get in?  If so they’re cool.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

But in the AFC?  Who could I possibly get behind?  The only possible is Sacksonville, unless Buffalo somehow has things all fall the right way.  Oh and I’m not sure if the Chiefs are in or can get in?  If so they’re cool.

The Chiefs won the AFC West.

Shows how much I pay attention to the AFC.  

Oakland could not get out of their own way on offense last night and man has Nick Foles sure taken a turn for the worse since he was like the golden child.

Seattle’s offense is a little bit of a concern too since it seemed like every good thing that happened Sunday was a direct result of something the decimated Legion of Boom did.

Is anybody surprised that a few days after the Steelers cut James Harrison, that the Patriots picked him up today?

There will be no Sunday Night game on New Years Eve. All the crappy games (except for the Browns - Steelers) will air at 1pm. And the good games will air at 4:25pm. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Magog said:

Is anybody surprised that a few days after the Steelers cut James Harrison, that the Patriots picked him up today?

That's a darn strange turn of events. Was there real friction between Harrison and the Steelers that couldn't wait until the offseason? Otherwise they just helped shore up the Pats weakest position. Guys I didn't know existed manned that position like Trevor Reilly and Eric Lee. I literally never heard of them until they showed up and made plays. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

That's a darn strange turn of events. Was there real friction between Harrison and the Steelers that couldn't wait until the offseason? Otherwise they just helped shore up the Pats weakest position. Guys I didn't know existed manned that position like Trevor Reilly and Eric Lee. I literally never heard of them until they showed up and made plays. 

I think there were rumblings that he really wasn’t happy with his lack of playing time, and maybe that spilled over into being a distraction? Still seems like super odd timing.

The Pats don’t need him to be the second coming of LT, they just need him to be better than some of the people we’ve never heard of before.

• Love 2

I don’t understand how every time someone is cut, the Patriots get him first.  Are they always in first position for waivers, or are other teams this stupid that they haven’t caught on by now that YOU NEED TO STRIKE BEFORE THE PATS DO.

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I don’t understand how every time someone is cut, the Patriots get him first.  Are they always in first position for waivers, or are other teams this stupid that they haven’t caught on by now that YOU NEED TO STRIKE BEFORE THE PATS DO.

Harrison passed through waivers and could sign with anyone. Reportedly Harrison wanted to come to New England.  The Ravens wanted him too, but I think Harrison felt the Patriots had the best chance to stick it to the Steelers, because of 16 years of past history.

Waivers are based on standings after the first few weeks of the season.   At the beginning of the season its based on draft order.   So sucky teams have priority to pick up players.   Pats as world champs and having a good record for most of this season would not be in a favorable position if they submitted a waiver.    However, once a player clears waivers, it makes sense to sign with a team who has a good chance of going to another Super Bowl.