Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Sounds like the Steelers break up with James Harrison was super salty.  It would be fun if the damn Pats didn’t end up with him.

Aoparently I missed that the Titans actually have the last AFC spot right now which means there is another AFC team I could root for.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure I will be all about the NFC no matter who the AFC sends.

The Indiana legislature is considering a law that would force the Colts to give refunds to fans "offended" by players kneeling during the national anthem.

I think more people would prefer a law forcing them to give refunds because ownership is so shitty.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I was more offended by how poorly they played.  We should get a refund for that.

Just think about us poor souls in Cleveland.  There is no compensation that would be enough for our pain and suffering.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

I think more people would prefer a law forcing them to give refunds because ownership is so shitty.

If that happened, the Irsays would owe fans in Baltimore a ton of cash.

• Love 4

Favre/Rodgers and Montana/Young both had Shakespearean drama lacking in the Garrapolo being traded because he was becoming a free agent next year.

Forget the Pats, because seriously if the timing had been right on resigning Garropolo next year, I think the rest of NFL fandom would have imploded on Bill getting his hands on another potential Franchise QB for  10 more years.

What’s worse is all the other teams that had a shot of acquiring Garrapolo and didn’t bite.

On another subject, is Tomlin really going to bench Big Ben and LeVeon Bell for Sunday’s game as Marcus Gilbert said in an interview this week ?  Fuck the Steelers if they ruin the Browns perfect record.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

On another subject, is Tomlin really going to bench Big Ben and LeVeon Bell for Sunday’s game as Marcus Gilbert said in an interview this week ?

Looks like it. Effs up my fantasy championship game. Fortunately my opponent loses Todd Gurley for the same reason.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I had to root for Steve Grogan growing up, I deserve recompense for being forced to cheer for a QB who looked like a balding, tubercular accountant.  

He was one tough SOB.

Grogan set a record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback that lasted until it was broken by Cam Newton.

My proudest Pats-related possession is a Berry the Bears T-shirt (no way I'm putting it on these days, though ;) with #14's autograph on it.

• Love 1
On 12/29/2017 at 9:26 AM, doodlebug said:

Just think about us poor souls in Cleveland.  There is no compensation that would be enough for our pain and suffering.

Speaking of which, I spoke to a friend in Cleveland last night and she said that THEY'RE PLANNING A PARADE! if the Squeelers beat them.  A f*g parade to gloat over their perfect losing season!  Seriously?! 

I guess they're asking people that attend to donate food or money that will go to the local food bank.  And that Hue Jackson is still planning on jumping in Lake Erie.  I hope the Lake Erie Monster chews his butt up.  He's a terrible head coach and should never be one again.

16 hours ago, roamyn said:

Speaking of which, I spoke to a friend in Cleveland last night and she said that THEY'RE PLANNING A PARADE! if the Squeelers beat them.  A f*g parade to gloat over their perfect losing season!  Seriously?! 

I guess they're asking people that attend to donate food or money that will go to the local food bank.  And that Hue Jackson is still planning on jumping in Lake Erie.  I hope the Lake Erie Monster chews his butt up.  He's a terrible head coach and should never be one again.

Hey, we’re Clevelanders, any excuse for a party!  The Browns have been back for decades now and not a glimmer of hope.

Hue Jackson vowed to jump in the lake if the Browns didn’t improve their record this year. He owes us and he’s raising money for charity with the jump, so it’s all good. He’s no great coach, but there’s plenty of blame to go around for this miserable excuse for a football team.

• Love 3
On 12/29/2017 at 11:59 AM, AimingforYoko said:

Looks like it. Effs up my fantasy championship game. Fortunately my opponent loses Todd Gurley for the same reason.

This is why all fantasy playoffs should end before the last week of the season. 

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Hey, we’re Clevelanders, any excuse for a party!  The Browns have been back for decades now and not a glimmer of hope.

Hue Jackson vowed to jump in the lake if the Browns didn’t improve their record this year. He owes us and he’s raising money for charity with the jump, so it’s all good. He’s no great coach, but there’s plenty of blame to go around for this miserable excuse for a football team.

I think I asked this before, but it's a good time to ask it again: What worse for the Cleveland fans, the Browns' sheer ineptitude for going on 20 years or the Ravens' two SB wins in that span?

I don't see the Jets getting the upset (?? here's hoping), and Landry Jones is useless rubbish, so I'm kind of hoping the Steelers and Browns tie because going 0-15-1 would be the Cleveland Browniest thing ever.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I think I asked this before, but it's a good time to ask it again: What worse for the Cleveland fans, the Browns' sheer ineptitude for going on 20 years or the Ravens' two SB wins in that span?

I asked my long suffering Browns fan husband, Mr. 24K. His answer was "Yes." (I'm a Steelers fan, and even I'm kinda, sorta rooting for them today.)

• Love 2

Its official. The 2017 Cleveland Browns finished 0-16. It has been a very crappy past 10 days for me, but my mood has got gotten a whole lot brighter. Rod Marinelli, Dan Orvosky, Calvin Johnson, & the 2008 Detroit Lions are no longer alone in the apex of NFL Futility. Instead of Lake Erie, Hue Jackson should seriously consider Lake Minnetonka near Minneapolis. 

I knew that the Browns will show up today & give it their best shot to avoid that record. I had to sweat this one out today because that idiot Mike Tomlin had to show some pity on the Browns & sat out plenty of their starters (including their QB Ben Rothlisberger). He basically try to give that game away. Thankfully, those other Steelers found a way to prevail & not fall flat on their faces.

Steve Spurrier should be laughing & smiling right now. I hope that John McKay, Lee Roy Selmon, & Ricky Bell are popping champagne in heaven. Now, they got 2 more teams even more of a laughingstock than them. At least, the 1976 Buccaneers were an expansion team. I think those 1976 Buccaneers can beat the 2008 Lions & the 2017 Cleveland Browns. 

I like Seattle more than Atlanta but Seattle would be a mercy killing to whoever their first opponent would be with the way they look right now so Atlanta winning the last spot, however they do it, I think is for the best.

Philly.  Oof.

The Giants got to three wins woohoo!

• Love 2

I think so. Rumors are that Oakland won't offer Del Rio a new contract. I don't think he's doing a bad job in Oakland.

I can't even watch the AFC games. Too much needs to happen for the Bills to get in. Oh well, time to root for the Rams.

It just occurred to me that even though the Browns were in essence terrible at their jobs, they will still make hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.  All for a big 0.

I can’t get on the Jimmy train.  He’s still got the Pats stink on him.  The only way it could be satisfying is if the Niners beat the Pats in the Super Bowl on a last second TD throw by San Fran.

• Love 2

The playoffs are now set:

The AFC teams are: Patriots, Steelers, Jags, Chiefs, Titans and the Bills.  The NFC Teams are: Eagles, Vikings Rams, Saints, Panthers, and the Falcons.

I thought that today's early games were rough but that the late games were better. I would have liked to have seen the Browns win today. I think it's bad for them and the league to go 0-16.  I am also glad to see Jimmy Garoppolo continue to play well. I hope that Marquise Goodwin ends up being okay. That was a vicious hit that he took in the game against the Rams. He has been playing well and it's unfortunate to see him carted off the field like that.   

And I liked what I saw from Patrick Mahomes today against the Broncos. He was poised and was able to feel pressure and get rid of the ball underneath it. He did a nice job of leading the Chiefs on their game winning drive. 

Yay!  I only hate and loathe with every part of my being two teams in the playoffs!  

I didn’t think there was any way the Titans and Bills would get in over the Ravens and Chargers but I will take it.

And I want them both to lose the next time they play but an entire weekend without both the Pats and Steelers is going to be so great.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Andy Dalton won't be able to buy a drink in Buffalo. What a choke job by the Ravens.

Yeah, Andy and the Bengals have done a nice job of playing spoiler these past couple of weeks. First knocking the Lions out of the playoffs last week and helping teams like the Cowboys chances and now helping the Bills end their 17 year drought. That was an entertaining ending to their game against the Ravens today. And good on the Bills for also helping themselves by beating Miami.  

Here is the Wildcard schedule for next week:

Sat. 1/6 - Titans at Chiefs (4:35pm ET on ESPN/ABC) Sat. 1/6 – Falcons at Rams  (8:15pm ET on NBC)

Sun. 1/7 – Bills @Jaguars (1:00pm ET on CBS) Sun. 1/7 – Panthers at Saints (4:40pm ET on FOX)

No night game because they couldn't find one that would have meaning based on how the afternoon games fell out.   So they didn't want it to be one that no one had a reason to watch.

Man, what a wild day.   Why I love the NFL despite everything.   The Bills back in the playoffs.   The Chargers NOT in the playoffs.   But man, does the Bills coach look stupid for benching Tyrod Taylor that one week.   He was clearly good enough to get them into the playoffs.   How do you NOT have confidence in a player who wins games????

but then I look at Hue Jackson in Cleveland and I do not understand why some HC's still have jobs.

At least Irsay saw the light and finally fired Pagano.    

• Love 3

Shocking end to the Cincy/Balt game to knock Balt out and Buffalo into the playoffs

I like seeing new teams get a chance in the playoffs, so glad to see Buffalo and even Jax get in.  Even though I think neither has a chance of eating NE or Pitt. 

And thank God Pagano is gone.  Hopefully Irsay leaves it up to Ballard mostly to get a new coach. 

Ballard is really in a dream spot as a Gm, ASSUMING Luck will be healthy for next season.  Which I think he will be.  They were being cautious this year because the team sucked and they weren't taking chances.  They cut off his chances of being back over soreness.  I don't see that happening again.  Even if he has to play "sore", he will play next season.  Will he be back to 100%?  We will see.  But him at less than 100% if still better than Brissett. 

But beyond that, Ballard can now : 

Hire his own coach

He has a #3 draft pick

He has something like top five FA money for all teams, lots of it, and no real key guys as FAs he has to struggle over bring back.  There are some mid level decisions.  Vinatieri is a FA, I assume he will be back with a similar contrast 2-3 million a year, standard for kickers.  Frank Gore is a FA and while he has done well, he is 34 years old, as a RB, well beyond his prime, will be surprised if he brings him back.  Rashan Melvin had a great year at corner before going to IR, will have to decide whether to pay him or find another FA #1 corner.  ANd Jack Mewhort has been a solid OG but injured, could go either way on him coming back.  The OL has been a mess outside Castonzo and Kelly at center so he may just clear it our and decide to drop him and move on.  The moves he made this past offseason where he traded an underperforming WR in Dorsett and also one with lots of potential  but too many drops in Dwayne Allen, in favor or keeping Jack Doyle, both of which worked out, tell me guys like Mewhort may be gone under him. 

Anyway he has pretty well a blank slate, lots of money and good draft picks to rebuild the team

The WC round should be interesting.  really any of the 4 guys this next weekend could go either way, I think they are all 50/50 games. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

With the Eagles looking less and less like a #1 seed, it was interesting watching the Rams and Saints jockey for the #4 seed. I guess once the Saints realized that the Panthers weren't coming back against the Falcons, they decided to throw the game to the Bucs. And I'm sure they'd rather play Carolina than Atlanta. 

Congrats to the Titans and especially the Bills. Bills fans most definitely deserve to relish the playoff berth! 

All the games next weekend look to be competitive. I could see just about all of those lower seeds pulling the upset.

Well, the way the Rams played this year certainly gave a good boost to my efforts to become a fan; I'll never root for them against the Giants, and so long as Pete Carroll coaches the Seahawks that will be a struggle of loyalties when they go head to head, but I enjoyed them this season and am quite happy they're in the playoffs. 

I like the Saints, too, on the NFC side.  I'm ambivalent about the Panthers and Falcons, hate the Eagles, and dislike the Vikings.

On the AFC side, I loathe the Patriots and have not one shit to give for any of the rest.  If Pittsburgh had a different QB, I'd be a Steelers fan. 

I cannot believe it took this long to fire Chuck Pagano.  I'm bummed about Jack Del Rio.

Tyrod will bring the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in umpteen years then he'll be sent out on a rail immediately afterward. I understand why. He'd be a frustrating guy to coach as he misses the easy reads but makes up for it when he improvises superlatively. Still it'd be amusing if they sent him away and the Bills regress again. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Not even close: the Browns' ineptitude.  The first Raven's SB win was lousy due to Modell being there for it, but, now, it doesn't matter.  We never blamed the people of Baltimore, they got a raw deal, too, from the Colts.

7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What is going on with the Jon Gruden/Oakland rumors?  Are the Raider planning on replacing Jack Del Rio?

I know absolutely nothing about coaching a football team, but hasn't Gruden been out of coaching for something like a decade? It feels like the game has changed a lot in that amount of time or does that not matter for a head coach to be good? I know folks have been talking about him coming back for years, but as the years added up, I guess I have just been thinking it to be less likely with each year gone. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

The last time the Bills were in the playoffs my son was two and I was two months into a new job that I subsequently left in 2005.  1999 feels like a lifetime ago.

Woo hoo! Last time I wore my Bills gear in the playoffs was when I was in college. I figured the Ravens would win and went on with my day. Thank you Bengals! Now of course McCoy is injured and the Bills don't have a chance in Arrowhead but I will take a freaking playoff game!