Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: The Matrimony Momentum

I don't get why they'd feel all that trapped though. Penny/Leonard don't seem to have a big fanbase that I can see--I know the internet isn't representative of the GA as a whole, but even among the people I know IRL who watch, no one seems overly invested in them as a couple. Are there any fans who would really revolt if they broke Penny/Leonard up permanently?

I don't think its a fear of backlash.  I think its simple logistics.  Its much harder to manage a half hour sitcom with 7-8 regulars if the three leads are all in separate storylines.  So Leonard and Penny are stuck in a relationship or with one pining over the other to some degree.

I'm sure there is a way around this, but I don't think there is a solution that is particularly easy and I don't think the writers are engaged enough to come up with it.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

For someone who was painted as being such a loser with the ladies Leonard sure had his fair share of amorous encounters!

From Wizards of Waverly Place

Justin Russo:  "Why does everyone think I don't date; remember the centaur, the werewolf and the Goth Girl?"

And yes, if you look carefully, Leonard (and Raj!!!) are listed on this page as well,

along with George Costanza, Bud Bundy, Fraiser Crane, Alan Harper..............

• Love 3

"Marie Curie was like an honorary man. She had a penis made of science." - What are the writers smoking?!?!

Because none of the characters seemed to care about the wedding, I didn't either. And now we have a ret-con of the "other woman" suddenly having been Leonard's coworker for all those years so we can have even more manufactured Penny/Leonard drama. How imaginative.

Creepy stalker Sheldon is not entertaining.

• Love 11

Since when does Sheldon recognize attractiveness in a female?  That took me right out of the scene. 

Loved Amy this episode.  I can see her being hurt by not being invited, although she could have handled it better.

• Love 3

Correct. Anymore, I don't even want a big reveal of her now maiden name. I want someone to say it offhand, like a blink and you miss it kind of thing. So fans have to go, wait, did I just hear what I think I just heard?

• Love 1

Well - that was odd. I don't like the slow character assassination for Stewart, he used to be a great secondary character. As for Penny and Leonard's marriage *shrugs shoulders* I don't mind them rushing off to Vegas, but I do mind two people getting married without ever addressing stuff like living arrangements or children (hello Bernadette and Howard) before tying the knot.

Of course the whole conflict about the kiss is forced and stupid.

Best scene was Sheldon's mom explaining why he can keep the ring.

• Love 1

I haven't seen this show yet (obviously) but is kissing a woman once when you are drunk (and also not only not married  but not engaged either) count as infidelity?  A stinky thing to do, no question, and something you would certainly have to explain and abjectly apologize for, but is it infidelity?  I'm conflicted on this one.

I think part of it is that Penny would NEVER have imagined that dear sweet puppy dog Leonard would be interested in or stray even slightly with another woman.   One of her previous boyfriends kissed another woman, sure.  Not Leonard because she sees herself as out of his league in terms of dating.

I'm glad they didn't resolve the Sheldon-Amy breakup quickly.  After all these seasons of Amy pursuing and being frustrated by Sheldon, it's good to shake things up.  He should have to earn his way back into a relationship with her.

Bernie and Howard were quietly awesome when they celebrated winning the wedding contest.   I also enjoyed Stuart ineptly hitting on the women as they sort of became available.  I'm glad he's going to be around this season.

• Love 4

They have completely ruined Stuart's character. Remember when he was a successful business owner and artist that went out with Penny? Now he's been turned into a creepy loser.

Yeah, I don't like that either. He needs to get back to being a business owner. 

"Marie Curie was like an honorary man. She had a penis made of science." - What are the writers smoking?!?!

I laughed. I'll blame my allergy pills for making me goofy.

Best scene was Sheldon's mom explaining why he can keep the ring.

"When your brother redeems making he can date whoever he wants."

I thought they would make a more obvious joke of not saying Penny's last name. Like, cutting away right at that moment to Howard and Bernadette's living room for a Sheldon rant.

The whole entire show was about relationship drama and not once is Raj's girlfriend mentioned. How many eps go by before we find out if they are still together?

I really want to keep watching this show but they make it so hard sometimes!

• Love 1

That was so offensive...and sadly the attitude of some people (that women in science aren't real women...)

Turns out, being sweet isn't enough to keep a girl these days.

I blame Madonna

Way to go, Sheldon. Here is  your official "Nice Guy" badge. Of course, you did nothing wrong. Madonna made all women uppity.

Actually, I got a very strong Henry Higgins from "My Fair Lady" vibe from Sheldon tonight. He was practically singing "I'm An Ordinary Man" (completely deluded about how insulting he can be) and "Hymn to Him" ( during his why men are better than women speech with Leonard).

• Love 3

Loved Sheldon and his mom and Sheldon and Penny.  Great scenes.

Sheldon and Amy needed to break up.  They both were not getting what they wanted from the relationship.  Amy's pressuring Sheldon for sex and doing things to turn them sexual always made me uncomfortable. Sheldon always being the focus of the relationship also was not fair to Amy. I want them to be happy but they need to take a step back.

This show keeps on making me dislike Leonard.  Everyone has their flaws and make mistakes but I feel that Leonard keeps on pretending to be or playing the good guy and keeps on doning things that are worse than any other character on the show.

• Love 2

I think part of it is that Penny would NEVER have imagined that dear sweet puppy dog Leonard would be interested in or stray even slightly with another woman. One of her previous boyfriends kissed another woman, sure. Not Leonard because she sees herself as out of his league in terms of dating.

I think it's more that Leonard was supposed to be the first truly nice guy Penny dated. She would have expected it from the meatheads, but Leonard is--or at least used to be, the writers have turned him into an awfully gross character--a sweet, charming, loyal guy. Cheating just didn't seem to be in his DNA. So of course Penny wasn't expecting it.

What really made her hit the roof was finding out that it's someone Leonard works with, though. So it's not just that he kissed someone else, it's that he's been actively covering it up for two years. It would be different if it was someone he'd never seen again, but it's not just that he kissed someone, it's that he sees her (say) once or twice a week all the time. I can see where that feels like much more of a betrayal.

• Love 6

I didn't hate this episode as much as a lot of you.  I actually laughed at some parts.

Howard and Bernadette were great the entire episode.  Their reactions to Stuart, Howard telling Amy it was happiness, Howard closing the drapes on Sheldon, Howard saying he'd put that it was beautiful in the comments, and them mentioning their wedding was better and fist bumping, they were on point.

Also liked Penny reciting "You've Got A Friend In Me", and the look on her face after Leonard mentioned making a baby.

Sheldon's mother is always welcome.

• Love 9

Since when does Sheldon recognize attractiveness in a female?  That took me right out of the scene.

I'm assuming she has an especially symmetrical face. It doesn't bug me to think he understands the concept and would recognize it and be able to communicate it in context to Penny.

Really liked Sheldon with his mom and with Penny.  Also when he walked in and said something like "this just in - women are the worst".  The delivery made me laugh.

I liked Stuart saying "at least you got picked" when Sheldon was choosing who would be on which side.

I thought the wedding was sweet when Leonard cried at You've got a Friend in Me.  Although I was pretty surprised they actually went through with it.  Did not like that they separated or whatever immediately after though, especially since I'm not a regular viewer so I don't think I ever saw when Leonard cheated.

I thought the episode was pretty good.  Pretty much what I was expecting.

• Love 2

I think this episode was depressing. The characters are so fundamentally unhappy people, who seemed trapped by each other. They don't even seem to enjoy their time together, they seemed to be trapped in a world where there is no one else for them so they are forced to stay together. Which as sitcom characters they are, but I shouldn't be saying "Guys, maybe you all need to split up as a group and make new friends." 

I feel Penny looked tired during the episode, as if she had settled on Leonard. She's given up on acting, she's in a job she can tolerate that pays well, she has a husband she can tolerate, this is her life. She's drinking in many episodes, she's bitter. Where was that wide-eyed sweet girl we met earlier? The show crushed her. Yes, Penny quoting "You got a friend in me" was sweet but still sad, she "Homer Simpson"-ed a nice thing she knew he'd like, but he prepared a beautiful speech for her. 

Stuart used to be successful, now he's the Moe Szyslak of SImpson's fame, pathetic and beaten down by life. And he is so pathetic, it's not funny to laugh at his pain. It's sad. 

Raj used to be awkward and odd, now he's just the fourth wheel since Emily doesn't make an appearance. 

Howard and Bernadette were a cute couple, they just can't carry the phone.

I met Mayim Bialek once, she's a sweetheart, so I'm glad she has a paycheck, but I wish for the show's sake for Amy to say "Thanks for helping me out of my shell, I see the world is a big and incredible place filled with people and I want to make new friends," and find new friends. She went from an odd but strong minded woman, to the most miserable girlfriend to a man who will never put her first, never consider her feelings and acts like a child. She went from being confidently asexual to begging for sex. She went from being odd to being creepy. Sheldon proposing won't change anything. 

And Sheldon has become so insufferable, I wonder why the group doesn't just dump him already. He's a selfish man-child who might be a genius, but also is a huge narcissist. The show hints of having Asperger's or Autism, but I think Sheldon is just an arrogant control freak who knows if he pouts and tantrums, he will eventually get his way. 

Seriously, they all need a break from each other. 

• Love 16

I'm not a regular viewer so I don't think I ever saw when Leonard cheated.

That's the whole problem.  Nobody did!  We saw Leonard on the ship bragging about his beautiful girlfriend and then years later we see Leonard confessing to a drunken kiss.  It was just so stupid.  As someone upthread said it was like the writers have decided to continue the character assassination of Leonard.  I'm guessing we're seeing the Lorre hand at work here - the all men think with their penis mantra that ruined Two and Half Men - the same mantra that says all women are controlling, manipulative shrews, which we're also seeing on BB, sadly.

• Love 8

That's the whole problem.  Nobody did!  We saw Leonard on the ship bragging about his beautiful girlfriend and then years later we see Leonard confessing to a drunken kiss.  It was just so stupid.  

More stupid than the kiss was the drinking.  I work on research vessels.  There's no drinking, drugs, or fraternizing allowed.  After a while at sea, the ship turns into Peyton Place as it is without adding alcohol and messing around into the mix.   If you're caught doing any of that, you're dropped off at the next port (if possible) and you won't be coming back on board for another trip.

• Love 7
This show keeps on making me dislike Leonard.  Everyone has their flaws and make mistakes but I feel that Leonard keeps on pretending to be or playing the good guy

I thought Leonard copped to his own wrongness in this episode. He explicitly told Sheldon that he was at fault in the strain between him and Penny. I actually didn't think what he did was so terrible (i.e. the kiss) but I understood why the timing of Penny finding out dampened her mood. And Leonard seemed to realize he'd handled that badly. It doesn't make him more likable, but I think it's pretty realistic in that often people do handle it badly when the shit hits the fan. And Leonard's likability (such as it is) was never really about him being great at interpersonal things-- he's better than Sheldon, but that's damning with faint praise.

It wasn't funny, though.

I will say that during the vows, I thought the show was making a case that despite the current conflict, they were in fact in love and they do "get" each other and are well-matched.

What I don't understand is why they didn't make the show funny. Or did they think that was funny? Usually I can tell when they think they're being funny, if for no other reason than that laugh track. It didn't seem to me that even the showrunners thought this episode was particularly amusing. So, maybe they don't care anymore if the show is billed as a comedy. But even then-- it felt stale. In character for everyone, but not funny or moving, just kind of rote.

And Sheldon is so obnoxious, I don't think it's any longer in the realm of "clueless"-- you can be clueless without being sexist. He could be bewildered by Amy, or hurt and upset over his losses. He could even be a self-absorbed idiot who lacks empathy. But adding the male chauvanist element is not necessary or funny, and goes outside the established "Sheldon disability" and into the purely-an-asshole realm.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 11

I'm not a regular viewer so I don't think I ever saw when Leonard cheated.

Nobody did; it's a total retcon.

A friend of mine way way back in high school defined "infidelity" as any behavior with another that makes you feel guilty, so I was amazed when Penny asked Leonard if he felt guilty after kissing the scientist.  Surprisingly well-thought out, IMO.

So, hypothetically speaking, Leonard could have done whatever he wanted with that girl as long as he didn't feel guilty? Sorry, I can't get on board that train.

I haven't been able to watch the whole thing yet, but I thought the vows were really sweet. And the Wolowitzes were made of win. Raj was just there. I miss the real Stuart.

I'm so incredibly over Sheldon and Amy, separately and together. Amy making the wedding all about how she didn't get invited. I get it, it would sting, but their own families weren't there. Neither were any of the other friends. Get over your damn self.

And Sheldon, for once in your life, shut the F up and sit down somewhere. If you actually listened once in awhile instead of always talking, you might learn a few things.

What I don't understand is why they didn't make the show funny.

That was pretty much my reaction too. It was a depressing episode. I was expecting wedding hijinks, but not a Penny-Leonard argument that leads to them being back in separate apartments when they returned home, and I was hoping that the Amy-Sheldon breakup would lead poor, sad Amy to embrace the opportunity to expand what passes for her social life without being dragged down by Sheldon. All in all, it was a downer season opener for a show that's a sitcom, not a romantic drama.

I'm glad that at least Bernie and Howard are still happily married!

Since at least as far back as The Dumpling Paradox in the first season. After Penny kicks his ass at Halo,  Sheldon complains that no one that attractive can be that skilled at a video game.

I don't watch sitcoms to see people fight.

• Love 1

I was glad Amy called Sheldon out on his being such a prick to her, but I wish she had included a question about sex, since he said that about her eggs drying up. Was he suddenly going to become a sexual option for her? I wanted to see him have to answer for that. (Not in general, but since he was the one who brought it up). That speech could have been longer and more defining of how Amy's been feeling. I hope they address it more indepth later.

And why did Sheldon want to marry her, anyway? He doesn't want to sleep with her or live with her, he's been explicit about that. So, what was going to change?

• Love 8

That was just depressing.  Stuart was creepy, Raj was an afterthought, only Howard and Bernadette had any funny lines.

The only redeeming features of the wedding were Penny's dress and Leonard's vows.  

I would imagine they have at least a half dozen episodes in the can by now.  So all this negative feedback won't change anything.

I can only hope things pick up or at least lighten up later in the season.

• Love 1
I thought Leonard copped to his own wrongness in this episode. He explicitly told Sheldon that he was at fault in the strain between him and Penny. I actually didn't think what he did was so terrible (i.e. the kiss) but I understood why the timing of Penny finding out dampened her mood. And Leonard seemed to realize he'd handled that badly. It doesn't make him more likable, but I think it's pretty realistic in that often people do handle it badly when the shit hits the fan. And Leonard's likability (such as it is) was never really about him being great at interpersonal things-- he's better than Sheldon, but that's damning with faint praise.

I forget, why did he confess in the first place? This is one of those situations where theoretically nobody would ever have found out so keep your damn mouth shut. If you're just confessing to make yourself feel better, you're an ass. (Especially a kiss wherein an unplanned pregnancy or STD is in an impossibility). 

And why did Sheldon want to marry her, anyway? He doesn't want to sleep with her or live with her, he's been explicit about that. So, what was going to change?

Yeah, that's the part I don't understand. I get that he likes her for companionship and he doesn't want to lose her companionship but if he is unwilling/unable to meet her needs than he's not a good fit. I know it's been discussed ad nauseum, but whatever Sheldon's "deal" is, it doesn't seem compatible with Amy's "deal."  There are women out there who may be compatible with Sheldon's "deal." But Amy's made it abundantly clear she wants sex. (I use "deal" because I remember that episode where Penny asked the boys what Sheldon's "deal" was in order to determine well... what we all want to know)  

• Love 4

God, I agree with so much everyone is posting!

- I do think the Penny character has changed and not for the better.  I am just not feeling her anymore and she used to be my favorite character.

- Why in the world didn't they invite everyone with them to Vegas?  It wasn't like they didn't plan the wedding...I don't get it.  Weddings a usually a HUGE ratings boost to any show.  Why couldn't they have a proper wedding with all their friends?

- When discussing Sheldon's brother, who we have never seen, I keep thinking, Sean Murray of NCIS, who looks like Jim, would be perfect as his brother.  Bring him on for a giggle, which the show desperately needs right now.

- Raj should have had a storyline.  He's become one of the best characters on the show.

- The show has become too much about the relationships and not enough about what they do, which is so interesting and what made the show a hit...are the writers just done? There are two more years after this one so I hope we are getting more than we are getting now.

I'm presuming that we did not see the entire wedding ceremony so that when Penny and Leonard exchanged their "I do's" we didn't discover Penny's last name.

I've never been to or seen a wedding where last names were said in the vows. 

Correct. Anymore, I don't even want a big reveal of her now maiden name. I want someone to say it offhand, like a blink and you miss it kind of thing. So fans have to go, wait, did I just hear what I think I just heard?

Did we know Sheldon's sister had gotten married? I can't remember if that was mentioned before or not.

Well, we know she had a baby (Sheldon was in the next room).

Creepy stalker Sheldon is not entertaining.

I didn't think of him as a stalker, but that he thought his time had finally arrived.  He had dated both Amy and Penny! 

Stuart used to be successful, now he's the Moe Szyslak

I think he's ol' Gil. At least Moe has a reasonably successful business

This episode was nothing but unpleasant IMO. "Penis made of science"...you know, if Sheldon were half as smart as he thinks he is, he wouldn't be such a sexist asshole. 

I regret not DVR'ing for later viewing. Leaving out the annoying parts, this episode could have been watched in 2.5 minutes. 

One other thing dungeonwriter pointed out: 

The characters are so fundamentally unhappy people

But they weren't that way. Those guys enjoyed their lives. They played games, they went to costume parties and comicons and renaissance faires. They enjoyed (mostly) each others' company. 

Now, they are joyless. Women, amirite? I guess that's Chuck Lorre's answer to "who makes life suck, yet you can't live without them?" At least Bernie and Howard do seem to like each other. 

• Love 4

"When your brother redeems making he can date whoever he wants."

"When your brother redeems Mankind he can date whoever he wants." Fixed!

Terrible episode. Boring and depressing. I laughed at the Marie Curie line, but only because it sounds like something someone who was dumped would say. "All girls suck! Waaah!"

• Love 1

I don't know the age of anyone posting here, but I think some people in their 30's aren't really happy. If you're not married you feel the pressure of pairing with some body. If your career didn't go as you'd hoped you feel like you'll never get anywhere. Maybe that's what the writers are trying to convey here.

It wasn't a laugh out loud episode because there are serious things going on with every character. But I like the way they're exploring those things. Hell, it took me turning 50 before I had joy in life.

• Love 2
I thought the store re-opened in the episode when Howard's mom passed away.  No?

It is definitely re-opened in the episode called  "The Comic Book Store Regeneration". Howard is upset that his Mom gave Stuart some old couches to use for people to sit on and is complaining about that when he gets the call his Mom dies.

- Raj should have had a storyline.

I'm okay with not introducing another plot-line into this bloated mess. Was the fact that he served "Cinammon rolls"  supposed to be funny because his dog is called "Cinammon" or just because he's always baking something for any event? I found it a little strange that he didn't stay for the "I dos". The party planner in him should have wanted to stay.

I still like this show and got a few chuckles from this episode, but boy the show is really running out of ideas. Season number nine, and it shows. They're just running on fumes at this point. To finally get Leonard and Penny married only to have them break up over some stupid fight seems so lazy and pointless on the part of the writers. 

I think Amy breaking up with Sheldon is at least a bit more of a change since she's really never gone through with that before (unlike Penny with Leonard) but it isn't especially amusing either.

They really don't seem to know what to do with Howard and Bernadette anymore, or Raj. And adding Stewart as a regular hasn't really helped, he doesn't add anything to the dynamic.

This is now a show where it feels like everyone involved is just going through the motions so they can keep picking up a paycheck. And that's too bad.

• Love 2

I deleted this show from my DVR and forgot I did it. I watched the Voice instead, and since it wasn't on Demand yet (and I flatly refuse to pay for this sh!t show) I watched in online. Why did I bother? This was just bad. Really, really awfully bad. Why did Penny and Leonard "run off" that way when their friends and loved ones wanted to GIVE THEM a wedding? That was very selfish of them, and then they fight the whole time. And come home basically broken up. What? Is there another annulment in Penny's future so they can have a real weddin' in season 10? Geeze this was bad.

I read a review from some entertainment site My Nexus 6 recommended (can't remember where now) and they actually LIKED IT. Yikes. If the people are liking this we're screwed. Three more seasons. I don't think I can do it. I can't be in another abusive relationship with a sitcom I still have strong feelings for like I did with HIMYM. Look how that show broke my heart.

If they don't fix this mess by episode three I'm out permanently.

• Love 1

Love how such a mediocre episode has brought out such insightful posts!  I agree with much of what's been said here.  The show (and most of its characters) seem to have a "tired-ness" that wasn't even present in the last, abysmal seasons of Friends and HIMYM.  Other than Howard and Bernadette, everyone seems miderable, or at the very least unhappy. 

I don't think the show needs an infusion of new characters so much as as letting some previously seen or referenced characters get some exposure.  Leonard now has a new brother-in-law that may still be a meth-head.  Let's meet him and see what happens.  Sheldon has a brother (and I think another sister) we haven't seen yet, plus a young niece(?).  Leonard has siblings we know almost nothing about.  Time for the writers to show a little interest and start playing with all the un-opened toys those characters represent.

Saw the pilot in syndication a couple of weeks ago.  As dungeonwriter said in an awesome post, there's virtually no trace of the sweet, bubbly girl we first met nine years ago.  It's almost like hanging with this crew has made her cynical and world-weary.

Oh, special note to HelenBaby - would love to know your secret of finding joy after age 50.  Some of us "of a certain age" are still searching, lol.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1

Not sure why Penny is expected or required to be the same person she was at age 22. She's nearly a decade older. They've all evolved. Sheldon fights it, but he's growing and changing nonetheless.

She's still fun. When she and Leonard are in a good place they're fun together; she's fun with the girls. I think she can get a pass on not feeling bubbly with a blow like that on her wedding day.

• Love 8

I can't get too upset with Stuart hitting on Amy now, given how Sheldon was such a jackass at the theatre back then.

Even if she were interested in him enough before to go on the one date with him, as she pointed out in the episode, his hitting on her literally minutes after she broke up with her boyfriend was not a good idea. Has nothing to do with Sheldon's past or present jackassery to either Amy or Stuart. I blame Stuart for not being able to read a room. (I mean yeah, I know, it was supposed to be funny but it wasn't funny to me; it just made him seem skeevy and lacking in social awareness. Or maybe he's concluded that's her type?)
  • Love 1

Stuart wasn't just hitting on Amy he also got really weird when he heard that Penny had broken up with Leonard - he gave off really skeevy vibes in both scenes, miles away from the shy yet sweet guy who impressed Penny with his drawing skills way back in season one (or two?).

• Love 3

Agree that the episode wasn't all that good. The wedding in Vegas could have been redeemed if Leonard and Penny met up the Star Trek Vegas grand slam convention and happen to have William Shatner officiate. Penny could have dropped a line about the Priceline commercials.  With a lot of funny bits added with the Star Trek convention goers.  The episode had potential and didn't even try. I also agree about Stuart. He's really gotten creepy.  I always thought that Staurt and Barry Kripke would make a great odd couple tv show. 

Only thing I did like in the episode was Sheldon and Mary's conversation and the fist bump between Howard and Bernadette. Otherwise disappointed. 

• Love 2